Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default When you can see the stress coming

This has been a horrible week, and I didn't deal with it very well in terms of eating. I have indications there's more to come, and I need help developing a plan to deal with it.

This was my week: I found out I have cataracts, likely caused by some medicine I was on, and I'm only 36. They aren't getting in the way of my vision yet, but it freaked me out. I have no vision insurance. I'd gone in for an eye exam and to update my glasses, which cost me (on a credit card) $550 to replace because my vision is normally pretty bad. Also, a community project I've been working on for a long time is in danger of collapsing. I had to deal with some unexpected business flankings from someone I've known for years, something that could permanently damage our working relationship and my relationship with others in the industry if not handled right. My boss was in a horrible mood and treating those around him accordingly, likely blowing off steam but still no fun to go through. I found out that one of my oldest male friends, who is married, has been making passes at women. Once the snowball starts rolling, I have a tendency to let things get caught up in it, even things that would otherwise be bothersome but something I could manage, such as the CD drive on my computer no longer responding or several spiders deciding that it was time to move into my home. (Seriously. If I knew astrology, I'd say my stars are all lined up wrong this week.)

I've learned that there will likely be some major changes at work next week. Not a lot of details, but it could mean restructuring and maybe some positions eliminated. We've already had scattered layoffs, including ones that have put extra duties on me. My job is fairly secure, in that I know I do good work and there are some duties I have that no one else does. But it scares me nonetheless, and it feels awful to look around and wonder who might not be there by the end of the month and my job requirements could change, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Before, I would eat to deal with stresses like this, but I've been doing well at overcoming that. I did turn to some comfort foods this week, but now that I really know that they don't make things better, they didn't help even by creating the illusion of feeling better. Even more, the thought of food has made me feel sick to my stomach at times, and that isn't healthy, either.

Help! I need a stress plan!
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #2  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

I would say, it can only get better from here. BUT.....that may just invoke the Murphy's Law....anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Sooo, be thankful you realized that the food did not comfort you. Take out all that stress on the eliptical or weight bench. Take a deep breath. Remember that "this too shall pass".

luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

First of all take a deep breath and realize that this will pass and thing will get better. I know it's hard to believe that when in the middle of many stressful situations. They always seem to come at once, don't they?

Try to look at the situations and figure out if there is anything you can do about it (try to do this without getting emotions involved, if possible.) If there is, get a plan in order and act on it. If there isn't really anything you can do then try not to stress about it. Some things you just have to ride out and let the chips fall where they will. I have a hard time looking at things in this way, but my DH does this and he suffers much less stress then I do. Can't hurt to try.

As far as food is concerned, plan, plan, and plan some more. I'd keep temptations out of the house and stock up on healthy low cal foods as well.

I also find that exercise really helps me when I'm stressed.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm a stress eater too, and its tough, I know. I talked to a counselor about it, and I like her advice...take some time to understand the feeling that you're striving for when you stress eat, and then some time exploring new ways to create that feeling in a natural, healthy way, without food. For some people, it might be as simple as taking a bubble bath, but try everything! until you find whats right for you.

Last edited by kelly315; 09-27-2008 at 04:39 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yow! Now there is a stress challenge.

If I found myself in your position, I would first of all consider increasing intake of vitamin C to 500 mg a day, and take vitamin E, 400 mg a day. This is for cataracts--google it, you can find out more. Vitamin C especially is said to help reverse the condition somewhat. I am not a doctor, though, so check with yours about this.

The next thing I would do is plan, plan, plan. This may seem like more than you can do under the circumstances--but it may actually help you feel more secure if you know what you are going to eat ahead of time and be sure to have it available, so that you don't have to think about it. It's way too easy to go off the rails without planning at times like this.

Focus on healthy foods that are filling but not fattening. Make sure you have some fallback foods that you can munch on at any time without worry.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 09-27-2008 at 04:40 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #6  
Ufi
Persistence

Thanks for the advice. I will look into vitamin C and E and cataracts.

I one of the big feelings is that things are beyond my control and ability to influence, but I'm still being influenced by them. I don't know what's worse, having things hit me out of the blue and knock me off of my feet in surprise or having things looming over me and dealing with the dread of what may happen. Maybe with the world feeling out of control, I feel out of control, too? I'm trying to escape that "blown apart" feeling.

I'm cooking stuff for the week today and am doing some cleaning, hoping that will help.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

JayEll has given some great advice. I would add

Partialize...partialize...partialize. Break down the multiple issues into the smallest pieces you can and strategize around them to the extent possible. Some of us have a tendency to see the big picture, especially with unknowns and stressors, the big picture then becomes our whole life falling down around our feet.

What can you do today? (Well of course one big thing is to focus on your health to make sure you have the physical resources to deal with stress.)

Meditation, exercise and prayer also work well.

One day at a time....
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi View Post
I one of the big feelings is that things are beyond my control and ability to influence, but I'm still being influenced by them. I don't know what's worse, having things hit me out of the blue and knock me off of my feet in surprise or having things looming over me and dealing with the dread of what may happen. Maybe with the world feeling out of control, I feel out of control, too? I'm trying to escape that "blown apart" feeling.
Boy, can I relate to that feeling. Eveyone has giving such good advice here. All I would add is that it might help to slow down. If you are constantly looking ahead and thinking about what may happen, you aren't as able to see the peaceful moments that are happening right now. Take a walk and look at the leaves, or sit ouside for a few minutes, clear your mind and just listen to the sounds. Things will happen whether you are worrying about them or not. Give yourself a little break and just focus on this one day, then the next day, and so on.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #9  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi Ufi...
I'm just coming out a stress-induced funk... I have some major medical issues also. Along with family and finances, so I can relate a bit to your situation. Looking back over the last few 'bad' months, it seems the more structure I let go of, the worse the stress got. I think we all need to maintain routines and structure in our everyday lives... So if I could give you any advice it would be to try and keep your days; food, exercise, me-time intact as best you can. The other 'tool' I used was allowing myself to worry, be angry, feel sorry for myself... BUT I put a time limit on that stuff... I had to... It got to the point that I said OK, you can worry about (whatever) for 15 mins and that's it... sounds weird but... the more I tried to be/act positive the harder avoiding the worry and anger and stress became. My last kinda 'corny' comment is; When I said negative things over and over, like "I can't handle this", "I can't manage"... "This is horrible" I found out that those statements come true.. I realized I was almost 'commanding' myself to fail.... Good luck to you, stay strong ... Lastly, a little saying that saves me a lot of energy..
Today Is The Tomorrow You Worried About Yesterday

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 09-29-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #10  
Ufi
Persistence

The anticipated changes at work came, although no layoffs yet! I've managed to stay on plan and even get exercise. It really helped to make food ahead of time and to narrow my focus to what was happening at the moment, rather than trying to do it all. Thanks for the support!