Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/183/136

Height: 5'2"

Default Green tea????

I have read that green tea helps with weight loss and has many other health benefits. So I bought some green tea bags. My problem is that I live in SW Florida so drinking hot beverages is not really my thing. Does anyone know if taking the green tea supplements or drinking the store bought iced tea will work the same way?
philadelphiab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/168/130

Height: 5/5"

I'm pretty sure you could brew the tea cold, but I'm not sure how if it's not "cold brew" tea bags... I have a huge box of green tea bags also but am still trying to find out if/how I can make iced tea with it lol
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #3  
it's always something

The published study on green tea showed that it could result in a loss of up to 8 pounds in a year if you drink 4 cups per day every day, without any other changes to your diet. From what I understand, the results were with real tea beverages, and were not reflected in green tea supplements. It's not much of a loss, but the green tea contains many important antioxidants. However, I've heard that the antioxidants in green tea degrade so it should be drunk fresh.

I personally find that drinking tea (black, oolong, or green) helps keep me satisifed so I don't reach for something with calories.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I mainly drink iced tea. I buy tea (loose leaf and bags) and make iced tea with that. You can do that with your tea bags. I also think you do burn a few extra calories from drinking iced beverages versus hot.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I'm pretty sure you could brew the tea cold, but I'm not sure how if it's not "cold brew" tea bags... I have a huge box of green tea bags also but am still trying to find out if/how I can make iced tea with it lol
My mom makes reg tea and all she does is put 6 tea bags in a gallon jug.. and after like 3-5 hours she takes the tea bags out and puts her sugar in it, then puts it in the fridge.. so that's all you really have to do with the green tea.. just use your preference of sweetener.

Oh and when you make it use warm or hot water.

Last edited by JellyBean32882; 09-27-2008 at 04:16 PM.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/168/130

Height: 5/5"

awesome thanks
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:254/CW:179.8/GW:130

Height: 5'3"

I just read an article about green tea and weight loss. It was about a study where the people drank about 10 cups of green tea a day. The article said that either hot or cold tea would work. It said one bag for 8 oz. of hot water for hot tea and 5 bags for 24 oz. of hot water steep 5 min. and pour over ice for iced tea. I brewed some today with some lemon zinger tea to give it a different flavor. Not too bad.
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #8  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 186/165/125

Height: 5'2

Yeah I asked this question awhile ago too. lol Actually to my surprise I drinked green tea with every meal and it curved my hunger and I feel like it kinda helped. I think it really depends. And I had it hot or cold. Doesnt matter the temp. So try it if you like green tea. = )
MissKayytaay90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Just brew it, when it cools down stick it in the fridge to make a pitcher. You'll probably want to do 5 bags at a time. If you're going to ad artificial sweetener to it, do it while it's hot.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #10  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
you can brew it like normal tea (hot wise... i put mine through the coffee maker) and put it in the fridge... it's going to be lighter and more yellow than regular tea, but that's just the nature of green tea... i <3 iced green tea with some splenda to sweeten it, or nothing at all to sweeten it since it's still good that way
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
However, I've heard that the antioxidants in green tea degrade so it should be drunk fresh.
I read that somewhere too. That you should make it and drink it ASAP rather then keeping it in the fridge for a few days.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #12  
Workin' It

FYI, for best flavor, green tea should be brewed with water slightly lower than boiling, around 185 is ideal. I have a water kettle that dispenses water at 208, I draw out the water and let it sit for one minute, then pour it over the leaves or tea bag. I notice that if I pour on the boiling water immediately the green tea tastes a little bitter.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 205.5/185.8/128

Height: 5' 2"

I've been a green tea drinker for years off and on (am on right now) and find that I feel a lot better when I'm having 3-4 cups a day. My skin also looks better. That being said, I really don't buy into the idea of green tea itself being a fat burner. Here's why: there is irrefutable evidence that green tea is an antioxidant. If green tea were a fat burner, that would mean it was an oxidant. There are some things that can be one or the other under specific conditions but not both at the same time. I tried to post a link to a wikipedia explanation of this, but I'm not at 25 posts yet If you google pro-oxidant, it should bring up the wiki entry.

Professor Jay, the guy behind the 9th day diet, has some videos out that explain this in layman's terms.

All of this being said, like I said, I DO drink it myself. I find I eat/snack less when I'm on it and also like the skin benefits I see.

Last edited by ANewMe; 10-09-2008 at 03:08 AM.
ANewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #14  

i hate the taste of Green tea. i would think it would work the same way
teaspoondiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
You don't need cold brew teabags. I take a 1 litre jug and put an ordinary green teabag into it. I use Tetley green tea bags. Then I fill my jug up and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next day I drink it as is but you can add sweetener if you wish to.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote