South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see bar/150

Height: 5"6

Default Phase 1.5?

So, I was reading the 3 fat Chicks book and they mentioned a highly unofficial phase 1.5. So here I am getting ready to make a go at this, but being terribly frugal/practical/cheap I have a hard time throwing out food. Oh, some things I did throw out. But a few things (namely the 2% milk, 3 things of yogurt, the vegetable oil, and a few pieces of fruit) I held on to hoping to just use those up. And, I don't feel quite as hopelessly desperate using this as a bridge down to phase one proper. Has anyone else done that? Or is this going to completely ruin the usefulness of the plan?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but I'm a bit confused. Are you going to start South Beach? If so to The Beach.

Do you mean you want to ease into Phase I? Phase I.5 is usually what we do after Phase I to ease into Phase II.

Phase I is meant to end the carb cravings so it's best to just do it rather than try to sneak up on it. We have a Phase I CHick-Check thread that may help and lots of stickies in teh FAQ section including the Phase I Food List.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I wouldn't see a problem with using up the rest of your existing food before actually starting P1. It may make the transition to Phase 1 easier.

One of our posters wasn't having success on P1, so she started with a P1.5 instead...it allowed her a bit of extra freedom if she wanted it and she ended up completing the entire 2 weeks on P1 without using any of the 1.5 elements. Mind over matter, I guess!

btw, there is a 3 fat chicks book?!

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-26-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  

It wasn't the SBD book, it was the 3 fat chicks on a diet book. I have the hardcover edition (library is an obsessive reader's best friend) and it's on page 27. It's mentioned in the first question of the "deep thoughts from our heavy hens" section. But now that I re-read that part, I see what you mean about it being a transition from 1 to 2 rather than a ease-into-1 thing.

I've already given away and used up most of it anyway... and oy, that first grocery bill on the plan when your restocking everything is a pain. Well, I'm tryin. It doesn't seem something I could just jump into and do. It seems like it's gonna take a bit of planning and forethought to make sure I figure out how it can work for me. But I think I've got some good ideas.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

Zeff - Suzanne, Jennifer and Amy wrote a book called "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet". We are in there as "Fat Chicks On The Beach". I just took a quick look and didn't spot anything about Phase I.5 but I'm rushed today.

Misty, it's important to read the SBD book so you understand the science behind this Lifestyle change.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
btw, there is a 3 fat chicks book?!
Now that I checked.. theres two in fact! The one I read was "Because We're All in it Together"

The other, which I haven't read yet is "How Three Ordinary Women Battle the Bulge--and How You Can Too!"

I'm not allowed to post links just yet... but Amazon brings them up quite readily.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Misty, it's important to read the SBD book so you understand the science behind this Lifestyle change.
I got that from the library too! I've read up through the Phase 1 section so far. I'm just cheap and didn't want to have to throw out everything. I'll have to get over it.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Misty - I think you have the right idea about not just jumping right in. Planning (or the lack thereof) can mean the difference between success and failure during Phase 1.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

Misty and Zeff - there is only one book. It's called "3 fat chicks ON A DIET : Because we're all in it together."
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Misty and Zeff - there is only one book. It's called "3 fat chicks ON A DIET : Because we're all in it together."
Then how come when I do a search on Amazon for "3 fat chicks" it brings up two books? Maybe one is a second edition and from there they changed the subtitle? I'll have to check it out and see.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Not sure - I am amazon.ca and it shows just the one title but two books with the same title, one hardcover and one soft. I do know there is only one book. I'm sure Suzanne would have told me if there was a new one.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #12  

Ah ha! Yep, that's the difference. The hardcover and softcover editions have different subtitle words on the tape measure on the book cover.
Closed Thread