Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #1  

Default Walking Shoes question

Hi everyone. I recently started adding walking on a daily basis to my schedule and I do an hour on the treadmill Mon-Thurs and a four mile walk outdoors on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On my outdoor walks I push my two toddlers in a double carriage. My question is on walking shoes.

I am currently wearing New Balance 610's and I am wondering if I need something more flexible. My feet were fine two weeks ago at the start of my walking (just the usual unactive to active soreness, but that went away). The past two days my right heal feels sore, like it is bruised.

Do you think it could be my walking shoes, or could it be I am not rolling off my heel enough as I walk? My left foot is fine.

I do need a good heal support walking shoe because my left foot turns in as I walk (by turns in I mean that my foot is sort of sideways a little to where I wear out shoes on the side and a little bit on the bottom instead of completely on the bottom). This is one reason I love New Balance. I do not wear them out on the sides because they are supportive enough to keep my ankle from turning out.

I may just need a new pair of sneakers because of the cushioning. Can that make the bottom of the heal sore if the cushion is gone? I bought them about 5 months ago. I would think that would be both feet though unless I am overcompensating for my left foot as I walk without realizing it.

Any advice on a flexible walking shoe that has good ankle/heel support?
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You know it might be that you need an orthotic. When I bought running shoes recently, I bought a good insert. They help support my high arches.

http://www.superfeet.com/default.aspx

You may also try a running store so they can help assess what issues you have with your feet. Although a podiatrist may be the best bet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Diana -

I had the same problem with New Balance. They are just too stiff, not enough give. I bought a pair of Pumas and love them! I can run and walk in them. I prefer to run now though. They just have a really light, walk on air quality to them. I feel like I am weightless when I walk or run in them; like it puts a lot of jump into my step. I am probably going to stick with this brand. I have bought all sorts of athletic shoes over the years since I have always played softball (cleats), volleyball (cross-trainers), and ran. I have done Reebok, Nike, New Balance, Adidas, all of the big brands, and these Pumas for running are the most comfortable. I love how soft the shoe is.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

This is just, me, but I've never been able to find a pair of New Balance that were comfortable. I currently am wearing Mizuno brand shoes when I work out, but I've also had good luck with Asics and Adidas.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #5  

Thank you for the replies everyone. Since it is probably time to get a new pair I will try your suggestions and stay away from another pair of New Balance.

If the new shoes do the same thing then I will talk to my doctor about whether or not I should see a podiatrist.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh I should've also mentioned that I have had a real hit or miss with New Balance. Some of them make my foot go numb, others are fine but they aren't my serious exercise shoes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote