Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Remember WLS is just a tool!

I was just watching ER and I noticed that the black nurse who, if I remember right, had WLS. I think GBP. I hadn't seen the show for a while, but did notice that she had put quite a lot of weight back on. I got really shook up, because it is one of my biggest fears that I will regain my weight and be back over 300 pounds. Dear God, I don't want to ever go there again!!! It gave me new resolve to eat HEALTHY, not just low caloried, or low carbed, or low fat. But, to eat small well balanced meals. I'm trying very hard not to eat in between my three main meals. I've got low BS, but feel a lot of times it is grazing and I've become a bit of a clock watcher instead of listening to my body to see if I'm really hungry or not. It is so easy to get lazy, and take my eyes off of the reasons that I had WLS in the first place. For all of you newbies: get a good healthy eating plan and stick to it. Set up good habits now so you don't have the regain. I need to be more conscious of the quality that I'm putting into my mouth. No the lack of quanity.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Wow, Nancy...we are on a simular wave length tonight. I have been "playing" with my food plan, grazing and feel I could have a problem down the road. Thanks for the warning and for being a good example by posting what you thought.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-26-2008 at 12:42 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If you have low blood sugar, shouldn't you eat more frequently? I was told to eat 5-6 times a day to help maintain sugar levels rather than only eating 3 times a day, which can cause more highs and lows
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #4  

the lady from er didn't have wls. sorry hope this helps
lynettelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

The actress who plays the ER nurse actually did the same program I'm doing... and it's not WLS . You can read about more about it here on her web site: http://www.yvettefreeman.com/television.html

(I hope I don't gain mine back though.... yikes)

Last edited by kukristen; 09-26-2008 at 03:14 PM.
kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #6  

Default Oh No! I'm A Skinny Liar!! Lol!!

You both are right. It was first reported that she had WLS, but she did the UCLA program. SORRY!!! But, like every diet, unless it is a lifelong commitment, it didn't work for her. Still scares the heck out of me that one minute I"m living life to the fullest and the next thing I'm back over 300 pounds and half dead and no life. Thank you for the information. Guess I should have googled Yvette Freeman before I jumped to conclusions. My heart still hurts for her because she has been thin and full of life and now will have to contend with DM, BP, etc., if she doesn't find something that will control her weight. Still a big wake up call for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I agree Nancy...but don't worry so much, my friend...I watched a science channel show on the long term beneifits of weight loss and they said that the only reason they have the data they have is because of people that have had WLS (most people lose and then gain it back + ...sounds sooooo familiar!)...the people in the study have kept the majority of the weight off the more then 15 years! Not everyone gains it back and most people don't gain it ALL back. I don't want to go back there either but fearing what MIGHT happen because of past history can sabotage us as much as forgetting where we've been and we love ourselves enough to not do either! Keep up the fight, Nan and think happy thoughts!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-26-2008 at 05:19 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

Here's the thing... AT LEAST with Freeman...

UCLA offers such a comprehensive program (which is why I chose it) and includes a maintenance program for a VERY reasonable amount each month... which includes counseling and doctor's visits, dietitian, etc... So, if she chooses not to participate... then... meehhh...

Now, the one thing I have realized.. and am still slightly resentful of this... but my weight will be a LIFELONG battle. It will never be something that we can just forget about. Getting to goal is probably the easiest thing in this whole journey... but staying there and maintaining is where the real work and struggle begins. I have come to terms with the fact that I won't EVER be able to eat like my skinny friends who can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound... So it's learning how to maintain comfortably... SUUUCCHH fun!
kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #9  

Miss KuKristen: You are doing so well. Rather you have WLS, WW, UCLA, SBD, it doesn't matter if you don't stick to a plan and make it a way of life you can gain it back. You've got it right about the maintaining part. Once I lost a 100 lbs. and gained it back in 18 mos. Once I lost 85 pounds and spent $14. a pound to do it and gained it back immediately after I quit buying their food. I could always lose, but couldn't keep it off. My hat is off to all of those, like you, who are doing it and keeping it off. Keep up the good work! I like the way your plan is setup; it is one I"ve never heard of and I thought I'd try them all. LOL!