Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/221/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Food Obsession-Any tips?

I've read that 5-6 small meals a day is good for someone trying to lose weight. I've been trying it for the last few weeks and I find that it makes me more obsessed with food! I'm always thinking about what I'm going to eat and when I'm going to eat next, it consumes my daily thoughts. Has anyone else had this problem? What are some ways that I can deal with it and still lose weight?
LadyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/238/170

Height: 5'10"

What if you sat down one day a week and planned out what you're going to eat for every day - that way, you don't need to obsess about it, you can just make it a task once, and check your planner, and just follow it blindly without having to worry or obsess! It'd be good for grocery shopping too so you can see what you're going to eat in advance and JUST buy what you need, nice, yummy healthy things! Not on the list? Don't buy it!
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #3  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

IMHO, It's more important to do what works for you than what the experts recommend. 5-6 small meals per day IS supposed to speed up your metabolism, but if it also makes you obsessed with food, then maybe it would be better to have an ever-so-slightly slower metabolism and not be thinking about food all day long. There are other ways to burn more calories throughout the day, such as increasing your protein percentages, building lean muscle mass, exercising etc.
I too found that when I was eating small meals every few hours, I was constantly thinking about food. Recently, I've been having three squares a day and maybe a snack if I get hungry, and it has taken my mind off of eating for the most part. You just need to find what works best for you!
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariarose View Post
IMHO, It's more important to do what works for you than what the experts recommend.
I agree completely.

I am a "3 squares a day" type of girl and find that I too can get obsessive when I put it in my mind to eat several times a day. Sometimes I need a mid-morning snack, but most of the time I function much better when I don't have to worry about eating all the time. I think it's just part of the disordered eating that got me here in the first place.

Really, do what works for you. If it's easier to keep within your calorie range by eating 3-4 times a day instead of 5-6, then do it.

ETA: Also, Lady Phoenix, you're going to read all kinds of stuff that says, "this is recommended for optimal weightloss", but it's ok if that isn't what works for you. There is no one single perfect way for everyone to lose weight.

Last edited by junebug41; 09-24-2008 at 10:34 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #5  

Thanks for all of the really great suggestions! I just always thought that if I only ate three meals a day that I wouldn't really lose weight but it's great that other people are having success without doing that. I'm going to start trying these ideas and let you all know how it works.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I do exactly what Kelbrina suggested. Not only does this help with the food obsession, it also helps when your heading to the grocery store, so you don't indulge in things you don't need. I usually plan for about 2 weeks, take in for account when I know I will have left overs for lunch and usually if I will be going out. It's a great system and I keep it posted on the fridge so my husband knows what is for dinner. I can make it flexible if I need to, but after some trial and error, I have it down
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarose17 View Post
I do exactly what Kelbrina suggested. Not only does this help with the food obsession, it also helps when your heading to the grocery store, so you don't indulge in things you don't need. I usually plan for about 2 weeks, take in for account when I know I will have left overs for lunch and usually if I will be going out. It's a great system and I keep it posted on the fridge so my husband knows what is for dinner. I can make it flexible if I need to, but after some trial and error, I have it down
I have planned my meals religiously for 4 years and that does help a lot and does alleviate some of the stress. Once I know what I'm eating for the week I don't have to worry about it again, but to me that's different than how many times a day I eat. I've planned for 5-6 meals a day and it still drives me nuts.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #8  
SimplyStacy

I too am having that same problem, but I have found my exercise equipment to be my new best friend. Whenever I crave something I know I shouldn't of or all I do is think about food, I get on my treadmill or bike for like 30 mins and it really helps! Good luck
simplystacy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/238/170

Height: 5'10"

I may have suggested but I sure don't do it. Maybe I should start doing that too, haha.
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Making the snacks the same everyday may help, so they don't really require any thought. If you like more variety, you could change them on a week to week basis.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Making the snacks the same everyday may help, so they don't really require any thought. If you like more variety, you could change them on a week to week basis.
Oh, I like this idea! I hadn't even thought about that! So maybe if I do 5-6 small meals, I can build some routine into it so I don't have to obsess about what I'm going to eat next.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #12  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I think our brains are hardwired to think about food obsessivly, so don't feel like there is somthing wrong with you for always considering your options. I like to think obsessivly aout what I'm going to have for dinner. The other two meals and snacks are usually the same few things over and over again. I like having auto-meals that I don't have to think about and having at least one meal a day I can be creative with.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/260/170

Sometimes I find it best to just go with what your body tells you. Eat if you're hungry, and don't obsess about when you are next going to eat, because that mentality will cause you problems as well as others, since you tend to plan a day around it (well maybe you don't but I did for awhile). The best advice I can give you is to pack an extra piece of fruit or a bag of celery into your lunch and later in the afternoon when you start to feel like snacking, grab that.

I have found that a snack in between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner or even before bed help stem my cravings and obsession even more than a small meal. Buy a few of the 100-calorie pack snacks or keep fruit around, like an apple or a banana. Celery and peanut butter or a piece of cheese will fill you up just as much as a sandwich.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you don't need to have an elaborate plan for your meals, just a couple of options to fall back on. Remember, 4 or 5 meals a day may not be the way that works for you to lose weight. Stopping the obsession is hard, I know since sometimes I still do it, especially during a really busy day or on a trip, but it can be done on an average day.

Good luck!
collegegirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #14  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i have a spread sheet of planned meals and their total calories, so its like i have a sort of collection of "set menus" and i pick which one i want that day. I LOVE grazing throughout the day so I have 5 meals a day. Having 3 would just not work for me. But if having that many meals a day doesnt work for you, why do it? Having 3 meals a day might not work any better, but sometimes you have to experiment with things to see what works out for you
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #15  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i cudnt eat 5-6 times a day....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote