Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Could over-working out make me binge?

Hello ladies,

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Chicks in Control forum. Basically, in recent days, I have really hit hard with the exercise at the gym. I have been doing it at a very high intensity. Very high. I am SO determined to lose weight. However, on many days, I have noticed that I feel hungrier and sometimes gittery. I end up snacking here and there and then, I binge. Last night, I think I must have consumed an extra 7,000 calories (not sure, but it was severe....yes, I'm sick with the binges)! Do you think that over-working out could be sabotaging my diet? I do it about 6 or 7 days a week. My cardio isn't that long (50 minutes), but to give you an idea, I'm doing the Arc Trainer at an incline of 10 and a resistance of 100. That's the maximum on both ranges. I go as fast as I possibly can. Then, I do weights and I go very high weights, 3 sets, to failure (exhuastion). I'm not sure if that's enough detail, but I hope ya'll can help this crazy chick out!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
o you think that over-working out could be sabotaging my diet? I do it about 6 or 7 days a week. My cardio isn't that long (50 minutes), but to give you an idea, I'm doing the Arc Trainer at an incline of 10 and a resistance of 100. That's the maximum on both ranges. I go as fast as I possibly can. Then, I do weights and I go very high weights, 3 sets, to failure (exhuastion).
Yes, I totally think that's sabotaging your diet.

There is nothing wrong with that amount of exercise if you can keep it up BUT YOU HAVE TO FUEL YOUR BODY.

You don't say what you're eating on a daily basis, but if you're trying to do all of that on a 1500 or 1700 calorie diet at your height and weight, you are probably freaking out your poor body.

Especially when you're lifting weights you MUST provide your body adequate nutrition and lots of protein or it will begin to feed on itself - and not just fat, but lean muscle.

I suspect that your binges are caused because you're not getting enough food especially immediately after your workouts. I lift weights 3x a week, and I *have* to have a protein filled snack within 30 mins or so after working out or I get so hungry I could easily gnaw off my own arm.

What I do is put a scoop of protein powder in bottle of orange juice. It's got the carbs and the protein that I need after a workout.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Thanks for responding, Photochick! I am definitely going to take it easier for a bit and see if that does the trick. If I can't help myself, I will add some more calories to my repitoire.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like you're heading for a burn out to me

You're so close to your goal and I know you want to get there badly, but if all that working out is causing you to eat more, then it's not worth it.
Plus, you want to lose it in a way that you can maintain.
Are you going to keep up that high level of exercise after you lose the weight?
I think 50 minutes of cardio is long--lol!! Why not scale that back, but keep the weight training???

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote