Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default *Less* comfortable with your body?

I've seen others mention it, so come on out. Who else is more uncomfortable in their body now that they're losing weight?

I'm down almost 30 pounds and 2 sizes. Yet...I'm feeling less confident than ever. Is it that the clothes that have always fit well now hang off? Or is it that I'm now 30 pounds lighter and not used to carrying myself?

Why do you think we do this to ourselves?
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #2  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

Ooh- I am. When I lost weight the first time I especially became less confident about my body when I was in the buff because of the excess/wrinkly skin issues I was having. Plus after having been heavy all my life it was so strange to be getting smaller and smaller.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/143/135

Height: 5'9

Hi, I'm new here... but I found this exact thing. I think maybe it's because I worry more about what people think since I try so much harder now to lose weight. Before, I didn't try, so if they didn't like it, so what! It's easier to be rejected when you're not trying, then to try and fail. Did I explain myself ok? Also, I'm so much more aware of my body now that I took a closer look at it than I used to be... that could have something to do with it.
HealthPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Any time you make a significant change, in your body, in your habits, whatever, it takes some time to adjust into.

I had a BIG problem with having not anticipated some of the less pleasant side effects of having a smaller body...particularly some outward male attention that made me really uncomfortable. I did adjust eventually, and I think most people do.

It's important to realize that, for lots of people, fat serves a purpose...it makes it OK to not date, or protects them from unwanted advances, or covers up bigger issues of self worth. Taking away the fat can bring those issues to the surface and force you to deal with them, which can definitely make for a little bit of discomfort.

It can be really hard to talk about this among people who haven't lost significant amounts of weight. People go into weight loss thinking "Oh, if I lose weight I will have it MADE and everything will be PERFECT" and tend to criticize people who try to tell them differently.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

I gotta say, I don't have a problem at all. I am so thankful to have been able to lose the weight. I love to shop now and experiment with sizes. Sure my boobs look like balloons that have lost a LOT of helium, but they look great in my Biolift bra and I do most of my shopping in clothes anyways. Kidding. But I really do feel a lot better now and am a lot more comfy in my new digs (bod).
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I feel less confident. Though, when I step on the scale and see the weight difference, I get very happy, and I feel as confident as ever, but it seems once I take a look in the mirror, I appear fatter than any time before. My highest weight was 256 in early '07. Now at 234, I feel like I look bigger now.

It's really upsetting.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/232/135

Default wonder how bad it will get???

I have used more lotion in the last month than I have in the last year. I guess I am hoping that by keeping the skin well fed of fluids that it will magically pop into my age 16 shape. I have already seen some changes in my body and I don't think that it is going to be pretty when I am all done but I have no choice. I have to be at a lower weight so I can be healthy for my children. I know that I already want a tummy tuck due to the apron of skin that I have. And the weight loss is just increasing that problem. It will be okay tho because in the end I will be healthy and beautiful and I will take the results as battle scars of childbirth..... I think we are all doing great, we are just changing one set of challenges for another but we will all be stronger in the end because of the journey.....
txnikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i felt less confident for a long time....
still do in some ways....
i think its cos its new and something that needs to be adjusted to over time....
even though we are loosing at slow rates, half a stone a month is a big deal....
people do notice n i think thats where my confidence lacks....
people are always looking me up and down now to see how im doing/where i am....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

It took some time for me to feel comfortable and confident. Well...i still don't feel comfortable because of the saggy pot belly i still have...but i definately feel more confident. It really does take some time for the mind to catch up with the reality. And then reality may not be the same reality that we have in our minds eye. Like i thought by the time i hit 135, i'd be all skinny and taunt. Yeah...didn't happen. I still have a flabby belly. But i know i'll take this body over the one i had before that was puffed out like a big ol balloon.

And I have to agree with HealthPnut...when you are consciously dieting and watching your weight go down and excersizing, you are soooo much more aware of your body. I don't remember as i was getting bigger, really ever even noticing it. Just wasn't on my mind like it is now that i am trying to lose weight.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspank View Post
I gotta say, I don't have a problem at all. I am so thankful to have been able to lose the weight. I love to shop now and experiment with sizes. Sure my boobs look like balloons that have lost a LOT of helium, but they look great in my Biolift bra and I do most of my shopping in clothes anyways. Kidding. But I really do feel a lot better now and am a lot more comfy in my new digs (bod).
I feel the same way, mamaspank. Perhaps it will change as I get nearer to goal and I see how my body is going to look (still don't know if I'll have a skin issue or not).

Even if I do have a skin issue, I still think I will feel better than ever. So far I feel great! We'll see!
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

I had lost significant weight only once before - about 20 years ago. I lost it so fast and for all the wrong reasons (because my parents paid for it) that I was weepingly uncomfortable and unhappy and gained it all back plus some and never tried to lose weight again.

Until now.

This time, I am doing it for my health. Since my weight has already compromised my health, it has to come off. No two ways about it. Knowing how I reacted the last time, I'm steeling myself up to deal with all the weirdness.

So far, so good. I haven't lost that much *percentage-wise*, but I have noticed differences with the amount I've lost so far. The funniest one is gauging how much maneuvering and squeezing I have to do to get into booths. Booths are oddly much easier now.

My clothes feel like they've stretched out in the laundry because they're not fitting as well.

But -- this time -- the good things I've been noticing are the fact that my feet and my knees and my back have been relinquishing their pain. My breathing is much better. I don't snore like I used to.

There's more to come and I still have that armor of fear on because I'm afraid of those feelings I had the first time. Like Amanda said, the male attention thing was the worst. So, I know that I will have the confidence battle too, Altari. But, I'll just have to pay attention and set my mind right to accept the changes and adjust to them.

This time, I just don't have a choice in the matter!

Good luck to you.
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Thank the good Lord in heaven I don't have that problem. If anything I might be "overly" self confindent. LOL...I probably think I look way better than I do.... I'm the skinniest size 18, (NOT 18W) there is. I have sags and bags and a bucket load of dental and health issues, but when i fix up and put on a great outfit and fix my hair & make-up I really think I look good.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-24-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote