South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7.5"

Question Vacation trip,and SBchick opinions

Hi all...This is a trip I've been saving for 1.5yrs. and have looked forward to for many yrs. I will be in Santa Fe,and Taos New Mexico for a week. My plan was to be at least 5lbs.less than I am now..(stall-grrrrr)so I could enjoy the foods abit more...well,I'm not 5lbs.less,...but my pants size went down a size...not sure what that's all about but I'll take it. I don't plan on carring food in a baggie,& I do plan on partaking in the local cuisine...,so other than beans,beans,and more beans what would you recommend that I look for I am Phase 2. Thanks alot...also if any of you have any restuarant recomends..I'd be grateful for the sharing.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #2  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Congratulations on losing a pant size. Do you work out? That would explain the scale staying the same but the clothes fitting differently. That is what counts more so you're doing an excellent job.

Have a great time! Never been there so no recommendations, but I would say you've done a good job, this is your vacation, enjoy things in moderation.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #3  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

The food in that part of the country is WONDERFUL! New Mexican food and homemade flour tortillas to die for.... I'd suggest eating what you want BUT paying close attention to when you are JUST satisfied. If you don't eat past that level, you may even lose weight on vacation -- especially if you do a lot of walking.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Eat lots of salads and veggies, grilled lean meats and fish, veggie based soups, and try not to eat much of full fat cheeses and dairy, things made with white flour, rice, or corn. If you want to treat yourself to some bad stuff, be sure to fill up on the good stuff first so you aren't as tempted to eat so much of it - maybe a taste will do.

I'm going on vacation next month and I plan to indulge a little, but that doesn't mean throwing SB out the window. I will still use it as a guide to how I should eat, and have already started thinking about what I am willing to splurge on - what's worth it to me. I am determined to not come back weighing more than when I left.

Have a great time!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #5  

I don't know how you can avoid corn, flour and lard if you are going to eat authentic Mexican cuisine so I think I would go in with the plan that I would only eat it X number of times while I’m there and then only in the very best restaurants where you can just savor the experience. Keep in mind the best restaurants may be the Mom and Dad “hole in the wall”. I lived in Gallup, NM for 10 years and some of the best places to experience really good Mexican food were locally owned small restaurants that catered to the lunch crowds. In my opinion, NM has the very very best Mexican food; I was so disappointed when I moved to AZ.

You might see if Meg (Living Maintenance Moderator) has any restaurant suggestions for that area so you can go prepared. Planning ahead is your best friend. Her DD lives in Santa Fe so she been in that area pretty recently.

Have a wonderful time.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #6  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

In Taos, look for Outback pizza. It's delicious- so not on plan, but soooo worth it. Get one with green peppers. I may not have the name right, but it's close.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Schmoodle's recommendations. You should be able to find lots of fresh vegetables and fruits to choose from. I like to order Fajitas, and ask for lettuce instead of tortillas to wrap the fillings in. Some restaurants are offering whole wheat tortillas now, so if you can find them, you can enjoy them without guilt. You can also enjoy salsas and guacamole with raw veggies.

Have fun on your vacation, and as long as you don't go completely overboard, you should be ok. Just make sure you get completely on plan again, once your vacation is over.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I ate some really great taco salads last year in NM. I was less tempted by the Mexican food because vegetarian and authentic Mexican don't seem to go well together It's a beautiful place and we had a wonderful time. Enjoy your vacation
Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Many thanks for the best wishes,and tips..I'm soooo excited!

My hotel in Santa Fe comes with breakfast,which includes hot items..so they should have some healthy protein..eggs etc...and I will have a late lunch,so I can call it dinner. I will have a salad,and then just about anything that's local as a entree. I'm not much of a dessert gal,but I will have a margarita or two. Between breakfast,I'll be walking alot..which is a program I started last winter on a 6x wk. schedule. My goal is to maintain within 2lbs. I'm confident I can do that. I'm probably the only one I know that lost weight on a cruise. I ate 'normal' w/salad and/or soup before,and walked the promanade almost daily. Had I not reserved/paid/non refundable prior to this horrible dark cloud that's hovering on our heads,re:gov.bailout etc. I would have probably not taken the trip..but I did,I'm going,and I'm going to have a blast. Thanks again..for all the good feedback,best wishes.~choices~
Closed Thread