General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #1  
carinna

Default Vacation desination suggestions, please.

I really want to get away somewhere, I haven't gone on vacation is so long. Has anybody gone somewhere they loved that they want to recommend? I've been saving up, so we can fly somewhere, I just don't know where I want to go.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #2  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

I went to New Orleans in March (I know, pre-hurricane) and I absolutely loved it, though watching what you eat can be difficult there. The shopping in the French Quarter was great! We're planning to go back very soon!
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

We also love New Orleans, but our absolute favorite place is Jamaica! Especially Negril. We've been the past 3 years and already have next year's trip planned.
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

We just took a mini-honeymoon to Telluride, CO. I grew up about 2 hours from there but had never been there. As someone who grew up in the middle of "ski-town Colorado" I was BLOWN AWAY. I felt like I was in a whole other state. Soooo gorgeous. We stayed at the Peaks Resort and Golden Door Spa. They were offering a $99/night rate when they are usually well over the $200 mark. I lived in complete luxury for 5 days and wouldn't trade it for anything.

http://www.thepeaksresort.com/
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I'm gonig to New Orleans for the first time around the begining of the year!! I'm excited.

A few of my favorite places:
*Taos, NM* Seriously. Like my #1 favorite vaca spot.
Denver, CO
Check out DC if you haven't yet, it's usually humid now though. Take a short trip to NYC to see all the famous sights would be neat. Maybe wait a bit and go to NYC for New Years (a dream of mine).
Seattle is nice, and (probably) not raining this time of year.
Your in Cali, have you been to the Red Woods or Mt. Shasta? Those are great sights.
St. Louis
The northwest coast would be nice this time of year. Tillimook, Seaside, Vancouver Island, Portland (a bit more inland, but really great). There is a historic highway that goes the length of the coast (Interstate 1? I-5? Something with a single digit, dont remember). Fun road trip.

Or... Tour Europe!! Another dream of mine....
Never been to Mexico, but it's always sounded fun. Sandals? A cruise?

Last edited by raw23; 09-23-2008 at 03:53 PM.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #6  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

It's so nice to see Taos listed as a fave! I live in Albuquerque. The BF and I went to Truth or Consequesnces NM for July 4 (our anniversary) and satyed at a great place with a hot mineral spring tub in our room-my skin was so soft for weeks!
Also on my want to go back list-Toronto. The place was so clean and the people were uber-nice.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #7  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi!
You don't say when you want to go, but if you are going before the snow starts flying, there are 2 places we've been that we just love to go back over and over. Yellowstone National Park in Wy and the Black Hills in SD. They are both incredible places for scenery and relaxation. Right now there would be lots of color from leaves changing in SD. We have stayed in several different places in the Black Hills and in West Yellowstone and Gardiner, MT while at Yellowstone. Both places in MT are a little touristy, but fun to visit shops and stuff if you're into that.

Wherever you decide to go, have a really great time!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE Miami and the Keys.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

My vacation destinations always include places in Canada (even though I'm from Boston)....I have been to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, and BC. My goal is to hit every province at some point!!! haha

Vegas is always a good time, now is a great time to come to New England because of the fall foliage, or Florida might be a good choice as the weather turns cooler. All the kids are back at school, so it probably wouldn't be as crowded. When we went to Disney the first time, we went two weeks before Christmas and it was great because no one was there and it was warm and toasty for us New Englanders who were leaving snow behind!!
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

The only real vacation I've ever been on was to Wisconsin Dells. It was awesome! My boyfriend and I were just there a couple of months ago. It's kind of cool because everything is within walking distance, and it's kind of cool to see Lake"less" Delton. You'd have to research though because they have different things going on at different points during the year, and some hotels close for the fall/winter season.
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are you looking for somewhere within the US?

I absolutely LOVED Greece and it is very friendly for Americans. English is their second language and it is a great place to be. I really loved Crete but the other islands are nice too.

I really want to go to Ireland which I've heard is nice as well.

Within the US, I'm biased but I love DC. Lots of stuff to do and the weather is decent most of the year.

I also really like Albuquerque, NM. I would recommend it for a fairly short trip but it has quite a few things to do plus the food is yum.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

if you have the money ITALY...absolutely wonderful place!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

My favourite place on earth is Jamaica. Runaway Bay, Jamaica. I've spent lots of time there.

The only other vacation spot I've been is Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. And I didn't like it very much. The sea just isn't as pretty as it is in Jamaica. Plus they don't have white sand in Puerto Plata!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I have a lot of "favorite" places. I do a lot of travelling for business and I always try to get in some sightseeing when I am scheduled to go to a new city. Here are the ones that I'm happy to return to again and again:

New Orleans (I lived in Baton Rouge for a while and fell in love with NOLA)
Key West
Washington DC (if you're a history geek, esp)
Philadelphia (again, history geek central)
Santa Fe
San Francisco
Chicago
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

Love Crete (and most of Greece) and Ireland but my number one favorite destination is Iceland. In the winter, you can't get into the countryside like you can in the summer (although there are specialty tours to the glaciers, etc), but either way Reykjavik is a great, small, walkable city and there's the Blue Lagoon for spa fun. I spent New Year's Eve there, which was a blast (literally) plus very Christmas-y. Summer's great for those long days and trips to springs, waterfalls, etc. WOnderful hiking.
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote