100 lb. Club - When you just can't "GO"

View Full Version : When you just can't "GO"

Smiling_Sara
09-22-2008, 06:15 PM
I haven't been able to go to the bathroom since Sat night. I feel like I have to go but there is cement blocking the way. I"ve even eaten more than usual today, to try and get some more fiber in myself, ( some veggie chips and a fibar one bar ) and all that has come with it is the feeling of having to go more, but alas, nada. I've also drank about 6 glasses of water so far today and 3 cups of coffee Not sure what other tricks I can do, I don't feel like eating anything, as I don't want even more sibstance sitting there.

any ideas?

luvin2lose
09-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Try an overnight laxative. Or Milk of Magnisia.

Those work for me.

fiberlover
09-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Exercise will help. Go for a brisk walk or jog.
Are you getting enough fat? That can also cause constipation.

PhotoChick
09-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd try drinking more water and maybe (I know .. it's gross, bit it does work) a spoonful of mineral oil?

Also definitely include a good brisk walk in there.

just keep swimming
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Sugar Free Lifesavers!

ghost
09-22-2008, 07:03 PM
correctol, overnight relief...
and lots of water

mezmerize
09-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Here's what works for me. I fill up my huge water bottle in the morning. I then mix in 2 All Bran Fiber Drink mix. I love the tea kind. It has 10 grams of fiber for each packet. I have been know to fil my water bottle twice so I drink 4 packets in a day. (on top of plain water) For my snacks I'll eat a fiber one bar 9 grams of fiber. Plus I eat whole grains (I do limit them) and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Celery and Sweet Potatos are at the top. I also see them make Fiber One pop tarts and pan cakemix. I'm going to give them a try. Some days I'm just running and need a quick fix. I hope this will give some idea on how to maybe help push things along. I've not had a single problems since I started doing this. I was getting kind of worried that I was getting to much since my stomach was growling when I started but it has tamed way down now.

mezmerize
09-22-2008, 07:20 PM
When I said I limit my grains I mean like whole grain pasta. For some reason I have a problem with pasta.

CandyKisses0204
09-22-2008, 07:24 PM
some exercise and apple juice usually does the trick for me

knitsforfive
09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
A teaspoon of flax oil 3 times a day.

Also, I find that when I am getting my fiber from processed fiber sources, I get stopped up more easily. When I get my fiber from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains -- like buckwheat groats and steel cut oats, I am a smoothly running machine.

nelie
09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I'd definitely try a walk and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Carrots are great but so is any veggie and fruits are good at that too. Also drink plenty of water.

LindseyLouWho
09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I've had this problem a few times, usually when I'm on vacation and not eating my usual fiber filled foods.

Usually for me it eventually works itself out, but if it doesn't then I usually try drinking more water and taking an overnight laxative.

GodsChild71923
09-22-2008, 11:02 PM
You can try docusate; it's a stool softener. It may take a day or two to work, but it will produce results without cramping.

Ufi
09-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Drink a glass of prune juice. Works every time for me. Actually, I now use something called PlumSmart because it takes like plums, not prunes. But plan to be around a bathroom for awhile.

Iconoclast at Large
09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I can tend toward that problem, but ever since I started this journey I have been eating two Fiber Choice tablets each night and I've been fine. Fiber Choice tastes like sweettarts and they are sugar free.

Lori Bell
09-23-2008, 09:52 AM
A neighbor brought over a bushel of fresh pears. I ate 2 large ones yesterday, and so far this morning I've been in the bathroom a few times already. Fresh pears are loaded with fiber...and are delicious!

ETA: If extra fiber doesn't work...(not fake fiber, but real fiber from healthy foods) then try a few teaspoons of epsom salts in a tall glass of water. It will taste terrible, but it works quickly and without any cramping.

SwimGirl
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Broccoli always works for me! I don't know about fiber one bars, here in Canada the first few ingredients are sugar.. yikes! They sure do taste good though!

-Aimee

mezmerize
09-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Aimee you have no idea how fast I grabbed my Fiber One Bars box! It has 10 grams of sugar. I'm not sure if that is alot. What is the limited amount per day? I have found the Fiber ones have kept me full and I don't bing with them. I guess I've been looking more at calories per bar/sat fat grams and fiber. I don't add sugar to anything I eat/drink and I don't eat bakery items. (It's pasta that I love.) So I was thinking I'm ok on sugar. Humm maybe not. I usually have them for a snack or to hold me off if I am busy and can't eat. (say at friends/or just out) I will have to look into this.

mezmerize
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
What's fake fiber? So is fiber added in foods or drinks or powders that you can add to your meals is it bad? I'm confused. I know it's best to get from real foods. (maybe I'm taking the word fake wrong you know as something deseptive)
I eat fresh fruits and veggies with every meal. On top of that I eat fiber enriched foods. Fiber one, Fiber Choice,All Bran, Bena Fiber, and Kashi are my brands of choice. So am I wasting money on these Fake Fibers? I'm not trying to start any war I just want to know if I am wasting money.

nelie
09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Mez - if they help you and you enjoy them, then you aren't wasting your money. All the research done on the benefits of fiber have been done on foods naturally high in fiber like fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, etc. I don't eat added fiber or fiber bars or what not personally and I'll 'go' multiple times per day.

Shannon in ATL
09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Not to try to hijack this post, but I have a question that this post has brought to ming. This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how often I should 'go'... :) I may go several days, then several times a day for a couple of days, then go several more days. Do I need to be taking fiber supplements, too?

nelie
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Shannon,

Before I started eating healthier, I'd not 'go' for many days and honestly I felt fine and thought that was perfectly normal. As my diet got better, I became more regular. Now I 'go' more than once a day.

From what I've read, you should be at least going every day and if not, you should increase the amount of fibrous food you eat. Of course there are things like dairy which will prevent you from going.

JulieJ08
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Not to try to hijack this post, but I have a question that this post has brought to ming. This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how often I should 'go'... :) I may go several days, then several times a day for a couple of days, then go several more days. Do I need to be taking fiber supplements, too?

You may find that with lots of fiber-rich foods, that you are more "regular" (i.e., every day, even at the same time, and pretty much the same, uh, result). I know it made a big difference for me. But really, a whole lot of individual variation is normal. It also has a lot to do with having a consistent daily routine in regards to activity , when you get up & go to bed, stress, and so on. I think it's worth trying to optimize all those things in your life, because the benefits go way beyond your bathroom habits. But beyond that, I wouldn't stress on trying to achieve some particular idea of normal.

Krista
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Hot cup of coffee in the morning

Smiling_Sara
09-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Hot cup of coffee in the morning

I was surprised this didn't work, bc it usually does. And I do think I'm getting enough fiber, as I'm eating tons of fruits and veggies. TONS! I even had a salad at lunch. I got home and drank some metamucil (sp) and that did work, but it was so bad AND painful that it scared me enough to drink another glass before bed last night and now again after dinner tonight. I don't want another day like yesterday.

raw23
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry for being so naive, but why is it so important to #2? Wont it all come out eventually? :?:

Smiling_Sara
09-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry for being so naive, but why is it so important to #2? Wont it all come out eventually? :?:

cause I had the feeling of having to go, but couldn't, thus giving me a lot of pain. If I didn't have any pain, I prob wouldn't worry about it.

raw23
09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Ah...
Thanks!

SwimGirl
09-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Mez - I am avoiding all sugar and wheat in my diet, due to allergies, and since the Fibre 1 bars in Canada have so much sugar in the top ingredients I avoid them. But this is for my body, I simply cannot lose weight while having sugar and wheat. Big bummer for me.

-Aimee

Pandora123a
09-24-2008, 08:16 AM
There is lots of healthy variants in how often one "goes". Doctors don't worry about constipation until you haven't gone for two weeks!

I find that as I have reduced "bulky" foods I go less often, once every two-three days.

mezmerize
09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Swimgirl - You know a big part of finding ones way to a healthy life style is learning from others. I for one never monitored my surgar that closely. I figured since I didn't add sugar to foods and if I was eating fresh fruit/veggies and whole grain, low calorie, low fat and high fiber products I was doing well. That is why I like W.W. I really thought I was eating healthy now I'm not so sure. When I tried south beach I did monitor it very closely. I also was losing at a rabbits speed for me. But I found that I had horrible headaches and I was getting dizzy. So I started to add more fruit/veggies the kind that wasn't allowed. I felt better. So here I sit thinking about how much sugar added into the food I eat. Is this too much? Here's a list of my meals yesterday. I am not going to count the sugar in my fruits and veggies ate with the meal.
Breakfast - Rice Cream Original .5 cup - 5 Grams of sugar
Breakfast - Special K cereal - 3/4 cup - 9 grams
Lunch - Morning Star Italian Herb Chick Patties - 1 gram sugar
Snack - Fiber One Yogurt - 10 grams
All Bran Fiber Drink mix - less than 1 gram per packet. I drank 2 yesterday.
Dinner WW. Smart Ones - 10 grams
Yesterday was a non cooking day. Meetings, games you know busy busy.
So is 37 grams of sugar from pre packaged foods bad? Is there the somewhere that states a daily amount?

mezmerize
09-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Breakfast should read Rice Dreams.

nelie
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Well for intestinal health, the recommendation is that you should be going every day. Risks of such things as colon cancer and its precursors reduce dramatically with your intake of naturally high in fiber foods. I feel yucky if I'm late in going.

ladybugnessa
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
i have a mild case of IBS... sometimes I can't go and then i take metamucil 3 times a day and a Sennakot or Peri-colace laxative....

my gastro guy says all of that is fine and i can do that once in a while (like every 2 weeks if needed)

i've changed up my diet lately and added more grains back in (wheat specifically) and now i'm going again.... without help. i know TMI but for everyone it's different.

water does not make me potty
i drink hot coffee all day, it does not make me go
dairy does not make me go
dried fruit does not

you have to find what works for you.

nelie
09-24-2008, 10:16 AM
From what I've heard, dairy actually stops you from going, so I wouldn't try to use that to make you go.

I used to have IBS as well (or some form of it) and can understand the pain of that.

Trazey34
09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Luckily, I've always been completely full of crap, so this hasn't been a problem hahahahah

But even when I ate garbage, I went twice a day like clockwork, and now that I'm eating healthier it's the same, maybe 1 more time in the day.

Can a person POO TOO MUCH??????

we're all officially best frirends -- who else can you chat about POO with??

mezmerize
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM

LOL that thought has crossed my mine. I "go" several times a day. Maybe what my friend told me about my eyes being brown was true? Maybe I full of ...;)

JulieJ08
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Luckily, I've always been completely full of crap, so this hasn't been a problem hahahahah

But even when I ate garbage, I went twice a day like clockwork, and now that I'm eating healthier it's the same, maybe 1 more time in the day.

LOL - I saw a little book at the book store once. I think it was in the "Health" section, next to the "Diet" section. I forget the exact title, but something along the lines of the Poo Book. Nothing but descriptions of all the different kinds. In a comical but informative way. Crazy. :dizzy:

junebug41
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Ok I just googled it and I now know more than I ever intended.

tasche13
09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Dried apricots works better for me than prunes and taste better.

luvja
09-24-2008, 10:14 PM
A bowl of granola does the trick for me... I actually can't eat the stuff anymore. Makes me GO. and I feel horrible. which sucks, cause I LOVE a nice bowl of granola and raisons with milk in the morning. Although that might just be me, I also can't eat dark lettuce or I'll be SERIOUSLY sick. For instance today at work was my boss's baby shower, and they ordered in chicken caeser wraps froma catering place, well of course inside it had dark lettuce, but my BIG boss's were there so I didn't want to look classless and pick through the wrap.... well I'm paying for it tonight. Incredibly ill. My friend has collitus, and she thinks I may have a touch of it aswell.

luvja
09-24-2008, 10:16 PM

Lmfao. Same. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? haha. I've actually never been "constipated".
:o

luvja
09-24-2008, 10:21 PM
P.S. (Sorry to be so annoying) While I was in college, my teacher was a nurse, she said an average adult goes 2-3 times daily. So I don't think you "poo" too much Trazey lol.

Trazey34
09-25-2008, 01:04 AM
HA! i kind of LOVE that we're having this conversation LOL

rubbytummy
09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Before I started eating healthy I always had a bit of trouble in the bathroom dept, and when I switched to a high-fiber diet I started going four or five times a day for a while -- it was almost scary, how well my digestive system was working! Then when I started losing, I had trouble again. My new rule is that I make myself drink at least 8 oz of water whenever I eat anything with three or more grams of fiber. I've read that consuming water at the same time you ingest fiber helps, um, push it through your system, so to speak.

Not sure how scientifically accurate it is, but I go twice a day comfortably and my system feels nice and clean.

(Also, if you're just really stuck and feel gross, I've had good luck with drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate, then drinking a few bottles of water afterwards. It takes between one and six hours to kick in and it, um, liquifies your bowels, which is a bit gross, but it works fast and gets your intestines SQUEAKY CLEAN!)

Suzzyy
09-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I have had IBS for years!! I will sometimes go once a week and be so miserable, then sometimes whatever I eat gives me instant diarrhea. :dizzy:
But when I feel so miserable I will take 2 Ducolax tablets and they will work overnight. Amazing !! It is best to plan this and do it on a weekend because it will give you explosive diarrhea,:dizzy:, and will clean you out and you feel wonderful.
Of course my doctor says do not do this too often but when you are feeling bloated and miserable you have to do something.
My neighbor is very much into health and she said that if you have a healthy body, you will have a bowel movement once a day and it should float in the toilet, not sink !! A bowel movement that sinks is not healthy !!
Well, that has never happened to me ! :?: LOL

Suzy