Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #1  
I CAN do it!!

S/C/G: 175/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Default Weight Loss Budget

Ok, so I know that I use cost as an excuse in my weight loss a lot. For example, I won't join a gym b/c they make you sign a year contract and it can be expensive per month. (and in the back of my head I know I won't stay for the whole year... ) or lately I've been wanting to get back into hot yoga, but it's $140 for 10 classes....eek!

How much do you all budget for weight loss?
Gym memberships, clothing, classes, nutritionists- whatever it is that you use/need to keep on track.

Thanks!!
MeganMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I have the same issue. I would love to take a class or go to the gym, but I can not afford to file for bankruptcy to do it. If I buy clothes and shoes and a class, there goes eating that week, so I would lose weight anyway. Honestly, the government thinks obesity is such a big problem, they should start giving us free classes to attend. Then we would all be more happy and productive.

Wow, I didnt know I could rant like that.
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, losing weight has been REALLY expensive for me this time. But, then I think about all the money I spent on fast food and ridiculous dinners out and drinks, etc... and how MISERABLE I was, and the money is worth it (and it's working).

I go to a medical program through a hospital -- and it's about $500- $600 for the month, including my food, doctor and dietitian visits, counseling, blood work, etc...

I don't mind paying for that... (and, really, I was probably spending that, or more, on food every month anyway.)

What I didn't budget for were the CLOTHES. I've been buying cheap clothes until I hit my goal weight/size. So, a looottt of Target clothes and H&M... and sales racks!

I stopped my gym membership, because I realized I could go outside for free. I also bought workout DVDs I could do at home. I recently bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred ($14 at Best Buy) and it kicks my butt as hard, if not harder than the trainer at the gym did.

To justify the expense, I realized I could keep spending the money on crap to TRY and make myself feel better, or spend the money on ACTUALLY making myself healthier and happier. I have no regrets...
kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

My apartment complex has a cardio room (treadmills, elliptical, and stationary bike) and a couple of pools, so I'm pretty lucky to have those. Which doesn't help you Sorry. I do videos in the morning, and you dont even have to buy them. If you have netflix you can rent them or you can watch some on You Tube. Just buy the ones you like
Food has been a huge expense. Not a whole lot of advise there, actually looking for some of my own. I'll buy canned or frozen fruits and veggies, because if I dont eat fresh before it goes bad then it's money wasted.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #5  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

Ok so this time around it is actually cheaper for me because the gym is right next to my apartment and it is only 31 dollars a month and they have free kids room for my son to play inwhile I work out. As far as food goes, I am spending a little bit more but that's ok because before our cupboards were always bare and we just ate whatever we could. Now I am eating out less and buying more fruits and veggies like I used to. Also i walk just about everywhere so I only drive to work which is less then a mile away. So 10 dollars in gas lasts me more then a week.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You know I didn't think about renting from Netflix. We have a DVD burner on our computer and a program that we spent an outrageous amount of money to copy copywrited DVD's. I have always been a little tempted not to workout at home because we live on the second floor, but right now no one lives below us, so why not give it a chance.
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #7  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I have netflix and absoutely LOVE it!!! You can stream through your computer too for unlimited hours! It's great for watching TV shows renting movies and tons of kid stuff, documentaries you name it I LOVE NETFLIX. hmmm maybe I should work for them...I do promote them enough lol jk. I dont pay for cable tv.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #8  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

I work for a University, so I get to use the facilities there for free as one of my benefits. Also, I know my work gives a discount on gym membership to employees as select gyms, I don't know if your work does this, but you could look into it.
Often if you are a University alumnus the school might let you use the gym facilities for a cost much less than a regular gym. Ours have a series of special fitness classes you purchase as a block for 80$ or so and you can attend as many classes as you want-that might be something to look into.
I also do a lot of comparison shopping, coupon clipping, etc for certain foods/snacks etc. Amazon grocery has saved me some major money from time to time.
I also use my local library to check out fitness DVDs and low fat/low cal cookbooks .
I try to buy one specialty item (be it food, clothing, or fitness related) per month and budget for it. I have a lot of clothes from when I lost weight the first time, but I went to the thrift store for all my "transitional clothes" and only splurged for new items on occasion.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/210.4/140

Height: 5'5"

My month-to-month fitness budget isn't that expensive, but I did make some bigger up-front purchases to get me started. I got the TransFIRMation set of The Firm dvds w/the weights, a HRM w/chest strap, a good pair of athletic shoes, and a couple pairs of sweatpants/shorts.

I have a membership to Planet Fitness which is only $20 a month, and my job also does a gym membership reimbursement up to $250, so essentially my membership was free.

I also have a membership to a organic food delivery service, I get fresh organic food every other week and its cheaper and easier than going to Publix or Whole Foods.
Chemgirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #10  
clean eating chick

Money is no object when it comes to gym memberships and classes- if it gets me moving, I'll pay for it! I spent about 5 years at my uni gym where it cost $100/year- so I figure with all the money I saved those years I can justify my $500/year membership now, plus extra classes!
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 AM   #11  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

My weight loss only costs me in terms of my gym membership. Clothing, even rewards, can be picked up relatively cheap (i got a dry shirt for $10 i think). I pay about NZ$27 a week. But the gym is on my bus route (minimises excuses not to go), has regular classes that are never cancelled, is clean, well maintained, has new equipment, is friendly etc...and i dont dread going, so im willing to pay for it.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 AM   #12  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

u dont have to fork out lots to exxercise....
i purchased a home dvd on ebay for less thatn £1....
and have pretty much stuck to that the last 4 months....
in addition what does it cost to run/walk the streets?....
im the stingey person ever when it comes to money....
believe me you CAN lose weight and exercise on a VERY VERY tight budget....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

My library has a ton of dvds.
Jump ropes, resistance bands, and pedometers are pretty inexpensive.
You can get weights for cheap off craigslist, I am sure.
We get organic fruit/vegetable delivery.
Cooking and eating at home saves you money that you can use for new workout clothes.
How about joining a running club if you are into that?

I totally know how it is not being able to afford a gym membership. I have gym and class envy!!

Last edited by kamesennin; 09-23-2008 at 05:57 AM.
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarose17 View Post
You know I didn't think about renting from Netflix. We have a DVD burner on our computer and a program that we spent an outrageous amount of money to copy copywrited DVD's. I have always been a little tempted not to workout at home because we live on the second floor, but right now no one lives below us, so why not give it a chance.
We live on the second floor of an apt too and I just decided I don't give a ****. As long as it is not after 9pm, who cares!
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You never know with apartment neighbors. I used to have a piano in my apartment (first floor). I always worried about the noise (not that I played constantly or late, but still). Yet my neighbors would tell me they loved when I played and ak if I hadn't played in a while. Especially my upstairs neighbor - but then, he later asked me out so he may not have been unbiased .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote