20-Somethings - Weight Loss Budget

View Full Version : Weight Loss Budget

MeganMary
09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Ok, so I know that I use cost as an excuse in my weight loss a lot. For example, I won't join a gym b/c they make you sign a year contract and it can be expensive per month. (and in the back of my head I know I won't stay for the whole year... ) or lately I've been wanting to get back into hot yoga, but it's $140 for 10 classes....eek!

How much do you all budget for weight loss?
Gym memberships, clothing, classes, nutritionists- whatever it is that you use/need to keep on track.

Thanks!!

amandarose17
09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I have the same issue. I would love to take a class or go to the gym, but I can not afford to file for bankruptcy to do it. If I buy clothes and shoes and a class, there goes eating that week, so I would lose weight anyway. Honestly, the government thinks obesity is such a big problem, they should start giving us free classes to attend. Then we would all be more happy and productive.

Wow, I didnt know I could rant like that.

kukristen
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Honestly, losing weight has been REALLY expensive for me this time. But, then I think about all the money I spent on fast food and ridiculous dinners out and drinks, etc... and how MISERABLE I was, and the money is worth it (and it's working).

I go to a medical program through a hospital -- and it's about $500- $600 for the month, including my food, doctor and dietitian visits, counseling, blood work, etc...

I don't mind paying for that... (and, really, I was probably spending that, or more, on food every month anyway.)

What I didn't budget for were the CLOTHES. I've been buying cheap clothes until I hit my goal weight/size. So, a looottt of Target clothes and H&M... and sales racks!

I stopped my gym membership, because I realized I could go outside for free. I also bought workout DVDs I could do at home. I recently bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred ($14 at Best Buy) and it kicks my butt as hard, if not harder than the trainer at the gym did.

To justify the expense, I realized I could keep spending the money on crap to TRY and make myself feel better, or spend the money on ACTUALLY making myself healthier and happier. I have no regrets...

raw23
09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
My apartment complex has a cardio room (treadmills, elliptical, and stationary bike) and a couple of pools, so I'm pretty lucky to have those. Which doesn't help you :) Sorry. I do videos in the morning, and you dont even have to buy them. If you have netflix you can rent them or you can watch some on You Tube. Just buy the ones you like :)
Food has been a huge expense. Not a whole lot of advise there, actually looking for some of my own. I'll buy canned or frozen fruits and veggies, because if I dont eat fresh before it goes bad then it's money wasted. :(

Blcarter84
09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Ok so this time around it is actually cheaper for me because the gym is right next to my apartment and it is only 31 dollars a month and they have free kids room for my son to play inwhile I work out. As far as food goes, I am spending a little bit more but that's ok because before our cupboards were always bare and we just ate whatever we could. Now I am eating out less and buying more fruits and veggies like I used to. Also i walk just about everywhere so I only drive to work which is less then a mile away. So 10 dollars in gas lasts me more then a week.

amandarose17
09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
You know I didn't think about renting from Netflix. We have a DVD burner on our computer and a program that we spent an outrageous amount of money to copy copywrited DVD's. I have always been a little tempted not to workout at home because we live on the second floor, but right now no one lives below us, so why not give it a chance.

Blcarter84
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I have netflix and absoutely LOVE it!!! You can stream through your computer too for unlimited hours! It's great for watching TV shows renting movies and tons of kid stuff, documentaries you name it I LOVE NETFLIX. hmmm maybe I should work for them...I do promote them enough lol jk. I dont pay for cable tv.

owlmonkey
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
I work for a University, so I get to use the facilities there for free as one of my benefits. Also, I know my work gives a discount on gym membership to employees as select gyms, I don't know if your work does this, but you could look into it.
Often if you are a University alumnus the school might let you use the gym facilities for a cost much less than a regular gym. Ours have a series of special fitness classes you purchase as a block for 80$ or so and you can attend as many classes as you want-that might be something to look into.
I also do a lot of comparison shopping, coupon clipping, etc for certain foods/snacks etc. Amazon grocery has saved me some major money from time to time.
I also use my local library to check out fitness DVDs and low fat/low cal cookbooks .
I try to buy one specialty item (be it food, clothing, or fitness related) per month and budget for it. I have a lot of clothes from when I lost weight the first time, but I went to the thrift store for all my "transitional clothes" and only splurged for new items on occasion.

Chemgirl22
09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
My month-to-month fitness budget isn't that expensive, but I did make some bigger up-front purchases to get me started. I got the TransFIRMation set of The Firm dvds w/the weights, a HRM w/chest strap, a good pair of athletic shoes, and a couple pairs of sweatpants/shorts.

I have a membership to Planet Fitness which is only $20 a month, and my job also does a gym membership reimbursement up to $250, so essentially my membership was free.

I also have a membership to a organic food delivery service, I get fresh organic food every other week and its cheaper and easier than going to Publix or Whole Foods.

yesitsmeagain
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Money is no object when it comes to gym memberships and classes- if it gets me moving, I'll pay for it! I spent about 5 years at my uni gym where it cost $100/year- so I figure with all the money I saved those years I can justify my $500/year membership now, plus extra classes!

Iconised Ghost
09-23-2008, 02:42 AM
My weight loss only costs me in terms of my gym membership. Clothing, even rewards, can be picked up relatively cheap (i got a dry shirt for $10 i think). I pay about NZ$27 a week. But the gym is on my bus route (minimises excuses not to go), has regular classes that are never cancelled, is clean, well maintained, has new equipment, is friendly etc...and i dont dread going, so im willing to pay for it.

sh3l5
09-23-2008, 03:10 AM
u dont have to fork out lots to exxercise....
i purchased a home dvd on ebay for less thatn £1....
and have pretty much stuck to that the last 4 months....
in addition what does it cost to run/walk the streets?....
im the stingey person ever when it comes to money....
believe me you CAN loose weight and exercise on a VERY VERY tight budget....

kamesennin
09-23-2008, 06:50 AM
My library has a ton of dvds.
Jump ropes, resistance bands, and pedometers are pretty inexpensive.
You can get weights for cheap off craigslist, I am sure.
We get organic fruit/vegetable delivery.
Cooking and eating at home saves you money that you can use for new workout clothes.
How about joining a running club if you are into that?

I totally know how it is not being able to afford a gym membership. I have gym and class envy!!

kamesennin
09-23-2008, 06:52 AM
You know I didn't think about renting from Netflix. We have a DVD burner on our computer and a program that we spent an outrageous amount of money to copy copywrited DVD's. I have always been a little tempted not to workout at home because we live on the second floor, but right now no one lives below us, so why not give it a chance.

We live on the second floor of an apt too and I just decided I don't give a ****. As long as it is not after 9pm, who cares! :jig:

JulieJ08
09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
You never know with apartment neighbors. I used to have a piano in my apartment (first floor). I always worried about the noise (not that I played constantly or late, but still). Yet my neighbors would tell me they loved when I played and ak if I hadn't played in a while. Especially my upstairs neighbor - but then, he later asked me out so he may not have been unbiased ;).

carinna
09-23-2008, 11:37 AM
No doubt about it. Weight loss is expensive. But it's so worth it.

raw23
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Now, now... :nono: we all know copying copywritted dvd's is illegal...:rolleyes:

:lol: naw, we do it too!

I'm on the second floor and it doesnt seem to bother my neighbors when I'm bustin it out at 5:30 in the morning.
Go for it! :D

staja
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I generally figure what I spend now to be healthy is less expensive than what I was spending to be unhealthy. I figure the benefits outweigh the costs!

I do spend $40/month for my Weight Watchers membership, and my health insurance will reimburse me for $150.00 of that. (They will also reimburse for $150.00 of a gym membership, but I am moving in a couple weeks and don't like going someplace to work out.)

I have purchased 3 work-out DVDs, and it cost around $25 - this gives me enough to swap DVDs when I want a different work-out, or I walk. I also own an exercise bike, but it's in storage from now until I move. If you're looking for larger equipment, you can usually find cheap or free! on Craigslist.

I think I've spent less than $100 on clothing, as I still had some from when I was thinner and have been hitting up sales. Also, I have been borrowing!

Other expenses include $10/month for my blood pressure medication and I'm actually saving money, because I am now only going to the doctor every three months, instead of every month!

If I had let my weight go uncontrolled, I am sure I would still be at the doctor every month, my medication costs would be higher, I'd be eating more expensive unhealthy food, and I'd be facing more expensive health complications as well! Also, I recently went to the dentist after 20 years of not going (bad, I know) and I used up the $1250.00 yearly coverage my dental insurance offers after 5 visits in one month - but, only one cavity! I look at this as one more way I am keeping myself healthy.

mariarose
09-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Honestly, the only thing I am not SAVING money on is buying new clothes!

Walking to work (3 mi. each way) is my main exercise, and much cheaper than driving/taking the metro. I can do pushups, situps etc in my room for free.

Cooking my own meals is soooo much cheaper than eating out or buying premade stuff. For the month of september, so far I've spent less than $100 on food, and that counts a few ice cream cones that I've had in the hotter afternoons and a trip to chipotle, so I'm not some ascetic living on rice and beans :hun:

junebug41
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Now, now... :nono: we all know copying copywritted dvd's is illegal...:rolleyes: :D

All due respect, it is illegal. And some of us work in the music and film industry and take that very personally :)

Anyway, I have totally been there. Last winter when money was tight and I couldn't just "go outside and play" I was absolutely miserable! I discovered that My OnDemand has FitTV and the Exercise Channel and I could do Jillian Michaels and Tae Bo. I do live on the second floor and try to be courteous though and frankly, I couldn't fully get into it for that reason (I know the people above me are quite loud and I can only imagine what kick boxing sounds like downstairs:o)

So I bit the bullet and got a gym membership to the Y. You mentioned that you don't want to sign a contract for a year. I've had a couple of memberships and have never once had to sign a contract for a year. It's always been month to month. I pay around $45 for mine and it's worth it. I also invested in some hand weights and resistance bands so at least when I didn't have a gym membership I felt like I was doing something.

I also go to classes at a dance studio. I buy a punch pass that works out to about $6/visit.

As far as food budgeting, the farmer's market has cut our produce bill tremendously. Now, the season ends in late October for us, but to continue the trend through the winter we're going to try to eat in season as much as possible. Also, shopping more than once a week helps to cut down on wasted food :)

lizysmith
09-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I too have been there and loss over 100 pounds and unfortunly I have gained my back. I am back on the weight loss battle. My income is not as it use to be and with this economy every penny counts.

Exercising equipment you might be able to get cheap from someone on Craigs List. I would think it better to spend your money on something that you can keep and look at every moment to encourage a look out. I know I am the type to come up with every excuse not to drive to the gym.

As far as a clothing. I had a hurdle to overcome and I lost all mine in a fire. So I did not want to have to go out and have to buy clothes that I did not wear in a month from now when I am hoping to be in another size. So I went down the avenue of renting clothes to get me through those months. There was a company called Transitional Sizes that offers this. This help me save for my ideal size. I found one of the biggest mistakes I made is keeping the bigger clothes in my closet. This time I am only going to have in my closet the size I am in or smaller.

For the first time in my life I have discovered the meaning of the word BUDGET and I am going to make it work with my diet!!! I am on a food and money diet!

NishKitten
09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I can do dips, elevated push-ups on my stairs at home...

Situps and leg lifts and stretches in my living room.

And getting outside to run or walk or ride my bike and get some fresh air is always free too!

Gyms are overpriced and overhyped. You don't need that crap, any of the useful tips and tricks and exercise recommendations you need you can get on the internet. I know I sure as heck wouldn't pay some person in spandex shorts $50-$100 a session to tell me something I could read on the web for free.

sh3l5
09-26-2008, 03:02 AM
thats a point....
wonder if my insurance is less now im half the weight i specified on the forms?!....

LadyPhoenix
09-29-2008, 01:54 AM
I realize that weight loss is expensive... but think about this: think about all the money you spend eating out, on going to the doctor, on yet another diet book, on buying new clothes? If you think about it, losing weight will save you money! If you're strapped for money, you can honestly ask yourself what you need and what you don't. Don't let money be the reason you don't lose weigh. Good luck! :-)

Munchy
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I am on a budget and I've been able to really do this without many problems. If there is an Aldi or PriceRite near you, there are several choices you can make to stay healthy. In fact, I buy almost all of my food at these two places, only supplementing about 4 ingredients at the regular grocery store. Now I'm paying out less than I was in the first place!
I'm lucky that my job has a gym - it is only $10/month for a single membership or $15/month for a family. My husband and I are both members, so they take $7.50 out of my bimonthly paychecks.
With clothes, I've been able to go to a Goodwill in a very expensive area and found so many quality items for less than $5. Many of my old clothes are fitting again, so that helps too. Some places have excellent sales as well - namely NY & Co, Old Navy, H&M, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx. These are good places to buy staples for your wardrobe.