PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #1  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Low sugar recipes (that taste just as sweet)!

I sometimes have a lot of trouble staying away from sugar, as I'm sure you all do. I decided to start a thread where we can put our recipes we use to get through, and give ideas to others with the same problems.

I have 2 recipes to share:

The first is for low sugar peanut butter cookies- they're so filling I can usually only get 2 down and I'm stuffed. It takes a lot for me to feel that full.
The second recipe is for Angel bites, they're completely sugar free and you can eat the whole batch (which I often do) completely guilt free. They're really light and fluffy, so you're really only tricking yourself into thinking you're getting a lot of food, but it works!

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup natural peanut butter (it HAS to be natural, otherwise it's not low sugar- so no jif here.)
1 cup splenda
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

preheat the oven to 350. mix all ingredients except for the sugar. roll balls the size of golf balls and put them about 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet. grab that sugar you set aside and get a fork. wet the fork for the first dip so the sugar will stick. dip that fork in the real sugar and squish those cookies down, making a criss-cross pattern (so you'll press each cookie twice). bake for 12 minutes. cool slightly before removing from the pan.

the sugar on top of these gives that nice taste of real sugar, along with the texture, and these cookies have more than a cup less sugar than regular pb cookies! enjoy!

Angel bites- (kind of like meringue cookies but not as crunchy)
5 egg whites
1/3 cup splenda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt

whip the egg whites with an electric hand mixer, just until mixed. add splenda, vanilla, and salt. mix on medium until stiff peaks form. spoon round tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet. if it is not greased, you will need to peel these off with a chisel, so yeah...greased. :-) bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees until they are golden brown. Don't take them out too early or they will collapse. The key is to bake them long enough until you get them to stay puffed, so err on the overdone side.

these things are so good, and the diet exchange is 1 lean meat- that's it. no sugar, just good ol' fashioned protein and air. eat the whole batch. it's okay.

Last edited by kittyno; 09-20-2008 at 12:05 PM.
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

This is a great idea!!! I have a feeling that I will be adding chocalate extract because I'm a chocalate freak like that! I'll have to go through my recipes and find some to share!

Thanks for the cookie recipes.
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #3  

Oh, I also wanted to add a couple of foods that I get from the store to help with my weight loss.

I LOVE to make sandwiches but don't like all the carbs in regular bread and sometimes wraps get boring. I LOVE to get the Healthy Life Low Carb bread. I normally get the whole wheat kind, it's low on calories, carbs and high in fiber.

There is also this really good low carb ice cream by Blue Bunny. It's chocolate peanut butter...with little chocolate, peanut butter filled pieces in it. Super good. My boyfriend and I put it in coffee cups (about half full) to keep our portions under control.

Last edited by Raye; 09-20-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #4  
Kittyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raye View Post
Oh, I also wanted to add a couple of foods that I get from the store to help with my weight loss.

I LOVE to make sandwiches but don't like all the carbs in regular bread and sometimes wraps get boring. I LOVE to get the Healthy Life Low Carb bread. I normally get the whole wheat kind, it's low on calories, carbs and high in fiber.

There is also this really good low carb ice cream by Blue Bunny. It's chocolate peanut butter...with little chocolate, peanut butter filled pieces in it. Super good. My boyfriend and I put it in coffee cups (about half full) to keep our portions under control.

I feel compelled to point out that the low carb ice cream of which you speak may be sweetened with sugar alcohol- anyone who is on metformin may have a lot of trouble digesting this, as it ferments and creates a TON of gas while it's digesting. I cannot even eat one mini-peanut butter cup sweetened with sugar alchohol. I would not wish that pain on my worst enemy. However, I hope that everyone who is able to comfortably digest sugar alcohol benefits from that tip!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #5  

Yes it is sweetened with the fake crap and I will admit I have yet to try it since I started my metformin....so who knows what it will do to me...ugh, I wish I could just eat like a freakin' normal person!

Well, I'll try the ice cream soon and let you know what it does to me. I will say that I drink Crystal Light and haven't had a problem yet...but maybe that's done with Splenda...I'll have to look.

But the bread is okay, right?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #6  
Kittyno

Quote:
Yes it is sweetened with the fake crap and I will admit I have yet to try it since I started my metformin....so who knows what it will do to me...ugh, I wish I could just eat like a freakin' normal person!

Well, I'll try the ice cream soon and let you know what it does to me. I will say that I drink Crystal Light and haven't had a problem yet...but maybe that's done with Splenda...I'll have to look.

But the bread is okay, right?

Yeah, I have no trouble with bread, or crystal light. I am fine using aspartame (although I try to stay away from it, it's really bad for you) and splenda is fine for me to. The only things that bother me so much I won't eat it is sugar alcohol, corn and mushrooms (oh, how I miss mushrooms!).
Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

I need to do a test as to what makes my stomach upset and what doesn't. Looks like y'all have it figured out!
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 269/249/150

Height: 5'3

Same here, Inkabetty! Has anyone tried the organic icecream? Has any one tried it while on the Metformin?

I just bought some organic icecream and some organic acai berry sorbet. Acai is supposed to have some REALLY great health benefits and is said to have a velvety chocolatey berry taste. We'll see! I'm also on metformin, so we'll see how my stomach holds up to it tonight!
kitkatkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #9  

Oh oh!!! Have any of you heard of "Stevia"? It's a sweetner, sort of like splenda that is suppose to be super good for your blood sugar (doesn't raise it) and is natural (not a bunch of chemicals in this stuff).

It's plant derived and is considered a dietry suppliment but really good for coffee and anything else that you would want to sweeten a little bit.

i just bought some the other day.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #10  

This isn't low sugar but it is a healthy low calorie treat.

I LOVE this smoothie!

1/2 cup of low fat yogurt (you flavor choice)
1 cup of fruit (I use frozen mixed berries)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
Add ice/water to mix it all together in the blender

I sometimes had whey protein powder if I decide to have it for breakfast.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #11  
Kittyno

Quote:
Oh oh!!! Have any of you heard of "Stevia"? It's a sweetner, sort of like splenda that is suppose to be super good for your blood sugar (doesn't raise it) and is natural (not a bunch of chemicals in this stuff).

It's plant derived and is considered a dietry suppliment but really good for coffee and anything else that you would want to sweeten a little bit.

i just bought some the other day.
I'm so excited to try the Stevia, I hope it worked out for you! Splenda/sucralose is actually not so good for people either, it has chlorine in it, and it is not natural, as they claim it is.