Exercise! - Running FAQs

View Full Version : Running FAQs

Ilene
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
This sticky thread has been added to help our beginner runners and their most Frequently Asked Questions ....

So, veteran runners you can help our beginners by adding to this thread ... so post away and have fun sharing your insight ...

Lovely
09-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I know this has been posted so frequently around 3FC, but the Couch to 5K program helped me get off the couch and start attempting to run. It is a very approachable program for people completely new to running. So if I may:

Couch to 5K (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)

Ilene
09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Excellent first suggestion Faerie!!

MBN
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
This is more of a philosophical point -- but many beginners don't think of themselves as "runners". We have this perception of runners that are long, lean, and effortlessly lope along for hours. Well, they aren't all like that, and certainly no one started out that way!!

In reality, "runners" come in ALL shapes and sizes, all ages and levels. Some are really fast, and some are really slow, and others use walk/run intervals. But, they are ALL runners, and you can be one too. Once you've laced on those shoes, gotten out the door, and taken those first jogging steps (no matter how slow, no matter how long you last), YOU are a runner!

IMO, the most important thing for a beginner is just to get out there consistently. Start with run/walk intervals and work to increase the amount of time you are jogging. Don't try to go too fast. And just keep at it ... improvements WILL come with time.

Oh, and get some good shoes, preferably by consulting a local running specialty store. The right shoes can help prevent injury.

I'm sure the others will chime in, but I just want to encourage you to get out there and try it!

Kofarq
09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I have some questions now that I've started running and enjoying it. (C25K)
Can I run every day? (With one day a week off)
Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?
How do I incorporate arms/shoulders and core/abs?
Thank you in advance for any help, and also thank you to Ilene for starting this thread.

mamaspank
09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Stay well hydrated. That doesn't mean to drink a gallon an hour before a run. You will have the most miserable run of your life. Staying well hydrated is something to work on all day, everyday.

NetChick
09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi guys, brand new here!

I'm currently training for my first half marathon -- Starting with the Couch to 5km program, and extending my distance over the next four months. My half marathon (for Team Diabetes) is in Orlando FL in January.

What I wanted to share was a very cool podcast that goes along with the Couch to 5K! I've written a blog post about it on my blog at netchick dot net -- They won't allow me to post the exact link here, so scroll down the page a bit for "Couch to 5K" post!

Anyhow, best of luck to everyone out there starting to run. I never thought I'd be running a half marathon, but, here I am making progress a little at a time!

Kofarq
09-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Can someone please answer this question for me? I have posted it before and on two other threads, but still haven't gotten any help with it.

Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?

Ilene
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Kori you asked: Can I run every day? (With one day a week off) It is not recommened you run every day. It's an exercise that is very intense and hard on the joints. The recommendation is to run every second day. If you wish more cardio do something that is easier on the joints like biking, elyptical, walking, swimming etc.
Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?You should not run on leg days. Just do your leg workout and another type of cardio.How do I incorporate arms/shoulders and core/abs?You CAN incorporate those body parts on days that you run...

Hope this helps and ask more questions if need be :D....

Nikaia
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I have a question, if I may. I've tried C25K before, and am starting it again. I keep stopping around week 3, for various reasons, but the main one is this: Shin Splints. Is there some way to preemptively stop them, or prevent them? I seem to have a tendency toward them.

Lovely
09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
It was mentioned that it's important to have proper shoes for running. (Very much so!)

If you're completely clueless as to where to look for a specialty store, I noticed that the Runner's World website has a store locator:

Runner's World Store Finder (http://www.runnersworld.com/store/search/1,7978,s6-240-417-0-0,00.html)

It's someplace to start :) Though it only has US & Canadian stores.

Ilene
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Here is a good article on Shin Splints (http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php) and treatments...

Mammy
10-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey there Im new here.

I have tried running on a few seperate occassions
but each time I find I get this annoying cramping sort of pain in my right shin. Is that normal? :P

Ilene
10-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Sounds like shin splnts see the post above yours for answers in the link posted...

Mammy
10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Sounds like shin splnts see the post above yours for answers in the link posted...

Oh thanks for that :)

stellart
11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
i think the most discouraging for me when i run, is i often get a cramp in my right side. i run through it, but it makes me want to put off running again for a while. is there a trick to better breathing that i'm not aware of. or is it just bc i'm out of shape.

Ilene
11-11-2008, 09:53 PM
i think the most discouraging for me when i run, is i often get a cramp in my right side. i run through it, but it makes me want to put off running again for a while. is there a trick to better breathing that i'm not aware of. or is it just bc i'm out of shape.If you haven't exercised for a while it's quite normal to get a stitch in your side, even seasoned exercisers get them. Just go slower, breathe deeper and relax when you run...

midwife
11-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Also play with what you are eating and drinking prior to your run. And never worry about slowing down if you need to. I think some beginner runners feel like they have to go faster than they can comfortable maintain for a certain distance. Go for time and stamina now. Speed can pick up later.

aneleh
12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
I've found the breathing technique that works for me when I get a side stitch is to breathe in for a count of 2(or whatever is comfortable to you) and then breathe out quickly as my right foot hits the ground, and repeat. That usually gets rid of it, but I wouldn't recommend doing a whole run like that.

RunnerKim
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
i think the most discouraging for me when i run, is i often get a cramp in my right side. i run through it, but it makes me want to put off running again for a while. is there a trick to better breathing that i'm not aware of. or is it just bc i'm out of shape.

Try not to eat or drink w/i an hour of your run. Don't go out too fast. A lot of new runners make this mistake. If you get a stitch try breathing out every other step on the opposite foot that you have the stitch in. This will usually eliminate it. I run 5-6 days a week and I've been doing it for years and all the sudden on last night's run I got a stitch. I think it's because I usually do morning runs and I did an evening run and had too much food in my stomach.

Onederchic
01-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi. I started out doing walking/jogging. I just recently moved it up to doing 2 - 30 minute jogging sessions and have had some VERY MILD chest discomfort on the left side. I am wondering if I should be alarmed or wait it out to see if it happens again or even give up the jogging? Thanks in advance.

midwife
01-24-2009, 11:07 AM
On the left side? I'm gonna suggest you touch base with your doctor for an evaluation before continuing running.

rileyozzy
01-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I started running last July and I have been consistently running 3/4 times a week. I still hate it though. I keep hearing about people who at first hate it and then grow to love it, but it hasn't happened for me. I chose running because it is free (money's tight), I can do it anywhere, and I have a limited time for exercise. I am thinking that I just don't like cardio workouts because I love yoga.

teawithsunshine
01-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Hi--

Quick question: why do some people on this forum say you should only run every other day (i.e. a full workout say anywhere from thirty to forty-five minutes) and others run six miles five days a week?

I'm interested in becoming a runner (granted in small steps first!) but I see comments where people say you shouldn't run every day (since it's a high impact form of exercise) to those who say they run 5-6 days a week.

who is right?

*confused*

~ tea

ennay
01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
It depends on your goals and what kind of running you do.

MTA: OK that was totally unhelpful.

You can not run HARD every day. If you run 6 days a week as I do, most of those days have to be easy runs (slow). If you go out there and pound hard every day you have a higher chance of hurting yourself. If your cardio in anyway resembles HIIT you can not do it every day.

If you run enough, eventually a very easy run becomes not significantly more stressful than walking. However it usually takes people a long time to learn how to actually run REALLY easy. (As an example my 5K race pace is ~7:20 minutes/mile and most days I run about 10 minutes per mile and some days I recover by running 11 minutes per mile.)

The key to remember with running is that the cardiovascular system adapts much much faster than the joints/bones/tendon infrastructure. So you can feel like you are running at an easy level and why not go farther or add another run tomorrow, and the infrastructure isnt ready. Build slowly if you want to add more days and you'll be fine.

My preferred method for adding a day is to "steal mileage" from other runs so that the total weekly mileage remains constant. So if I was doing 4 days of 5 miles = 20 miles I might go to 5 days of 4 miles for 2 weeks before building up ( or more likely 4-3-4-4-5).

Or start with other cardio for the same length of time on the other days and gradually work in a little bit of running and build it. The mistake people make is they have a "running route" and they just add another day on top of their existing week and it is too big a jump.

jajabee
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I had a lot of "side stitches" when I started training seriously for a 5K, and I got 3 pieces of advice that helped me:

1. Stay hydrated. My running coach last fall said that side stitches are a result of dehydration, and that I should make sure I was drinking about 64oz of water in the 24 hours before I ran. I don't know if any studies back her up or not, but I did find that my side was much less likely to stitch on days when I was good about water, and much more likely to when I wasn't.

2. When a really bad side stitch hits you, stop for a second and stretch it by putting putting the arm on the stitch side straight up in the air, and leaning to the side away from the stitch. I find I have to hold my breath while I do this for it to feel better. That was from my MIL the former nurse and current fitness and stretching nut.

3. Just ignore it and keep going. Also from my running coach. She pointed out that a run-of-the-mill side stitch wouldn't kill me, and that I shouldn't use it as an excuse to start walking. In a couple more weeks of running classes, I found I wasn't getting them anymore. I guess I just outgrew them. :)

sws19
02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I started running last July and I have been consistently running 3/4 times a week. I still hate it though. I keep hearing about people who at first hate it and then grow to love it, but it hasn't happened for me. I chose running because it is free (money's tight), I can do it anywhere, and I have a limited time for exercise. I am thinking that I just don't like cardio workouts because I love yoga.

i've been doing it off and on for about 10 years. even in my on periods, like now, when i can go about 4-4.5 miles, i still hate it. the first mile to two miles are pure torture, but i do think it's the most accessible bang for your proverbial buck in terms of calorie burning. so i keep at it because yeah i kinda feel like i probably hate most cardio, so i may as well get the most out of the time i have to spend doing it.

Crystallina 27
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I appreciate the advice on side stitches.

I've been running 2 miles on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays (sometimes I'll even go on Saturdays! Occasionally, I'll run for three miles, only when my friends go with me, though.

I know my mental attitude has a lot to do with how much I enjoy a run. For example, I have a lot more fun when I'm looking at the scenery and not focusing so much on the distance I have left to run. (Although, my friend says it helps her to think about the destination. To each their own.)

My resolution is to stop running occasionally on Saturdays, and start running every Saturday. Starting this week. =)

txnikita
03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I am going to buy a good sports bra today and a good pair of running shoes. Then I am going to start with my walk/jogs.

Wish me luck.......:D:carrot:

sws19
03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
back to the side stitch question. i have a bit of a weird situation. about two weeks ago i developed a side stitch about a mile into my 5 mile run. i have recently started going more slowly so i felt like it wasn't even very taxing to me at that point, but then the mysterious side stitch appeared. it wasn't severe enough to necessitate stopping, but it was there for the duration. and ever since that day, i have been getting side stitches as soon as i start running...and, here's the weird part: even when i'm walking. casually. short distances...as in walking from the kitchen to the bathroom i feel that very faint pang of the side stitch. WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON???? :?:

awlass
03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
nm.. i didnt read page 2 before posting.. hehe

meggoat
03-30-2009, 07:40 PM
About 5 years ago, I slowly worked myself from couch to 5K on a 4 day/week plan and ran regularly (4 days a week) for about a year. I then decided to do a long run every week, working towards a 10K. It was at this point (I'd worked up to running for a couple of hours straight) that I developed plantar fasciitis which sidelined me for 6 months. I gradually returned to running, but developed a frozen shoulder and was advised to stop running while my shoulder healed. I haven't gotten back into running and really miss it. Last summer/fall, I walked 45 minutes every day (at a 4 mph pace) and was injury-free but it took up so much time and I didn't love it like I loved running.
[By the way, I had knee surgery (meniscus tears) way before I ever started running and my knees actually feel better when I run since the muscles are stronger and help stabilize my knees.]
So, I've bought new shoes and am planning to do the couch to 5K 3 day/week running plan and work on increasing speed and doing hills rather than increasing distance. Can't wait!!

Thanks for posting the plan here and the tips.

Dominique19
05-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I personally hate running but it works great for me. Its a lot harder now that I'm 50 lbs heavier

Thyme
05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Now that I've read through this, looked at the links etc. I'm mildly concerned. I can't afford to buy new trainers for running unless I know for sure that I will actually continue to use them... but by the sounds of it I may be shooting myself in the foot by not having the right shoes, as may be a cause of me not continuing to run...

ennay
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Make a decision that you WILL continue. And if it helps, tape the receipt up somewhere you will see it so you know you gotta get out there and bring that $/mile cost down.

Ilene
05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Now that I've read through this, looked at the links etc. I'm mildly concerned. I can't afford to buy new trainers for running unless I know for sure that I will actually continue to use them... but by the sounds of it I may be shooting myself in the foot by not having the right shoes, as may be a cause of me not continuing to run...If you decide that you don't like running (but I KNOW you'll LOVE it :yes: ) you can always use the running shoes for walking, going to the gym, cross training, etc.... I walk in mine all the time...

reenester
08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a question, I am 300 lbs, 5'8". Have started the slow intervals, walk/run. Got up to 7 min cumulative Tues, but the next morning had significant knee pain. Been running on concrete. (That's what the path in my park is..) Feel better now, but some people tell me I should just walk till I lose 100 lbs or so. I need to get some better running shoes for overpronators, and plan to run on grass from now on.

Ilene
08-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Yes, running on concrete is very hard on the joints no matter what weight you are... As you lose weight you will certainly find running easier but I think if you get good shoes, which is extremely important, that will help a lot... running on grass is a great idea, although when I run on grass I get worried that I will trip on a bump that I can't see because of the grass, but that's just me... Don't run every day give your body a day of rest that helps your joints, also stretch weel after each run...

midwife
08-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm glad you are being cautious. It is better to avoid injury than to have to recover from one (they seem to hang on and nag for awhile). Concrete can be difficult for some folks to run on. I do okay, but DD avoids concrete like the plague cause it kills her shins (better to avoid injury....). My favorite surface to run on is dirt.

reenester
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I did my running, such as it was, on the grass. Was somewhat easier, will still ice my knees.

nancylmrn
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Ok I have two questions please. I am new to run/walking (less than a month) but I developed a blister on my the ball of my right foot is this from my shoes not fitting right or would this be just the way I am running? Next on my right side it constinley (sp?) feels like I pulled a muscle right at the top of my hip bone is this from my jogging?

thanks

Thighs Be Gone
09-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Now that I've read through this, looked at the links etc. I'm mildly concerned. I can't afford to buy new trainers for running unless I know for sure that I will actually continue to use them... but by the sounds of it I may be shooting myself in the foot by not having the right shoes, as may be a cause of me not continuing to run...

I ran two months in shoes that gave me blisters. Yes, really. I finally went to N Balance store and bought a $100 pair. I richly deserved them. Do not find allow any yourself any excuses. Just do it. You will be so glad when you bite the bullet and just do it.

Ilene
09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Ok I have two questions please. I am new to run/walking (less than a month) but I developed a blister on my the ball of my right foot is this from my shoes not fitting right or would this be just the way I am running? Next on my right side it constinley (sp?) feels like I pulled a muscle right at the top of my hip bone is this from my jogging?

thanksHi Nancy, a couple of questions for you... How old are your shoes?,Are they quality running shoes? If you say yes to both then IMO you're getting a blister because of the new shoes... If not, it's time for new shoes. New and good running shoes will make all the difference in the world. Go to a running store where they will analyze your gait. The prices vary from $60 and up, and it's worth every penny.

Your next problem could be because of not stretching properly...Here is a good Hip stretch (http://running.lifetips.com/tip/133305/exercises/exercises/getting-hip-hip-stretches.html) other stretches (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml)

nancylmrn
09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Thank you Ilene! I did go to a running store this afternoon and bought a good pair of shoes and insoles (I have a high instep) and was amazed at the difference in fit from old to new. I did not get a chance to run in them today but will on Tuesday (tomorrow is my weight training day) I am also going to do the hip stretches.

I can't thank you all enough for putting this thread up for us new commers it really has help a great deal

reenester
09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Got my gait analyzed and bought some brooks shoes that really make a difference. I have also been getting up early to walk and run. And I am NOT a morning person.

nancylmrn
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
ok it has been a week or so since I posted but now have another questions. The new shoes seem to have taken care of the blister issue or I have develped a tougher skin. But I am not able to run everyother day sometimes it is 3 or 4 days in between...

I notice that the first 8-10 min I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that?? it is almost like I am too nervous I will start to walk/or slow run almost to a walk and catch my breath then start running again but it is frustrating then 12-15 minutes in i have the breathing ok but then the legs are yelling at me...is this normal when you start?

Ilene
09-22-2009, 11:38 PM
ok it has been a week or so since I posted but now have another questions. The new shoes seem to have taken care of the blister issue or I have develped a tougher skin. But I am not able to run everyother day sometimes it is 3 or 4 days in between...

I notice that the first 8-10 min I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that?? it is almost like I am too nervous I will start to walk/or slow run almost to a walk and catch my breath then start running again but it is frustrating then 12-15 minutes in i have the breathing ok but then the legs are yelling at me...is this normal when you start?Nancy, it is very normal to walk when you first start running and it's also ok to run every 3 days. The Couch to 5k (c25k) recommends that you warm up for 5 minutes jog for 1 minute then walk for 90 seconds the first week or two... Sounds like you're trying to go too fast too quickly... Take your time, you're not racing yet ;)

BettyBooty
09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Is there some kind of intermediate program - like a 1K to 5K? I am not starting from "couch", and I can keep up a pretty good pace for my 1.5 mile jog, except for the larger hills in my neighborhood.
I tried the C25K program but the first few weeks are not challenging enough for me.
Should I just skip ahead to somewhere in the middle?

midwife
09-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Betty!
I'm not an experts on the couch to 5K, but if you can jog 1.5 miles, you cna just add a little bit each time in a way that makes sense to you. A general rule of thumb is to increase your mileage no more than 10% a week. So if you are running 1.5 miles 3 days a week, that's 4.5 miles a week, so next week you could add .45 mile somewhere! You could add a little bit to each current run, or you could take the total mileage of 4.95 (yeesh, I'll just round it to 5) and break it into 4 runs. But I would say, if you can run 1.5, you can run 2 miles. So just increase it a little at a time each week and you'll be at 5K before you know it. Go slow with the increases, stretch well, hydrate, and you do have good shoes, right?

Good luck!

Ilene
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Betty -- Definitely skip over the easier first weeks and start where it feels comfortable for you...

nancylmrn
09-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I just wanted to share this past Sunday I was rested and felt good and went to the local track for a run.....OMG I went 4 miles count them 16 laps without stopping! After the first mile I just said to myself well ok I my legs feel fine my breathing is fine keep going...and so it went the only reason I stopped is because my feet felt really really hot...is that something I should be prepared for?

Ilene you are such a seasoned runner is this normal? Is this something I should expect? I was just so excited to reach my first goal of being able to complete a 5K (even if it was on a level track)

Dollar hunter
10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey i m a new here,and i found so many useful things and hope ll get in the future also.

Dragwah
12-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey all,

um I'm a newbi at the running thing. Have tried it before and always had the same issue that nancylmm is having "I notice that I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that??". Currently I can't go more then a block and 1/2 before I can't breath, I can walk hours at a time, but its the breathing that's consistently scarring me from running. Any advice on regulating breathing?

btw, I don't have asthma (anymore), and my lungs are good. Is it just a matter of pushing through the (extreme)discomfort? or will I pass out?

Dragwah
12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
btw, any one know how to find a good exercise/running/walking buddie. I live in RI in a very very small town, and don't know anyone here to exercise with. Anyone out there, are u in RI too, let me know!?

Ilene
12-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey all,

um I'm a newbi at the running thing. Have tried it before and always had the same issue that nancylmm is having "I notice that I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that??". Currently I can't go more then a block and 1/2 before I can't breath, I can walk hours at a time, but its the breathing that's consistently scarring me from running. Any advice on regulating breathing?

btw, I don't have asthma (anymore), and my lungs are good. Is it just a matter of pushing through the (extreme)discomfort? or will I pass out?Running takes so much more energy than walking, hence why it's so hard... My suggestion would be to start with a warm up of 5 mins of brisk walking, warm ups are extremely important, they they get the blood flowing to your muscles, get your lungs ready, lubricate your joints for the workout ahead. Then jog, don't run, for a minute, just a slow easy jog we always seem to want to sprint away I know I did. Then walk for a minute, do these intervals for 20 minutes, then cool down with a walk. Do this 3 times/week to start, every 2nd day... The next week increase your run to 1.5 mins... If you can't jog for the whole minute do 30 seconds to start, who really knows or cares, but you must do it gradually or you will cause your joints injury... Your lungs will get used to it in no time too. Read up on the Couch to 5k program...

hotstuff
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Question: I like to run but it seems like long-distance runners don't carry water on their workouts. How do you do it?
Also: Do any of the advanced runners believe in those gel packs? I read an article somewhere long ago that honey and molasses got the job done just as well as those expensive packets. What's your take?

Ilene
01-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Question: I like to run but it seems like long-distance runners don't carry water on their workouts. How do you do it?
Also: Do any of the advanced runners believe in those gel packs? I read an article somewhere long ago that honey and molasses got the job done just as well as those expensive packets. What's your take?During cooler weather if I go out for less than an hour I don't take water, in hot summer weather I do bring water I have a belt that holds a water bottle... I don't do more than 1 hour runs but the people I know who do bring water, longer than 1 hour they bring gels. Using gels, I've heard, is trial and error.

Ilene
01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Newyorkgal I moved your post to the Running Through January (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/189283-running-through-january.html) thread...Where you'll get more support, I hope you don't mind...

littlegreenhen
01-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Newbie here, with a very basic question for the FAQ thread, after reading the "1000 miles in 2010" thread--
How do you all know exactly how far you have run?

To rephrase that, how would someone new to running know how far she has run? I guess if I had access to a car I could see how many miles it is to certain landmarks and base it on that, but I don't drive... so how would you recommend I figure it out? Someone in the "1000 miles" thread mentioned a GPS device but I think I'm too behind the times to own anything like that for at least another decade or two. :-o

Ilene
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Firstly, :welcome: littlegreenhen...

There's a site called mapmyrun.com just put in your postal code or city and a map of your town/city will appear and off you go figuring out how far you've gone. If you time yourself, it can figure out how many calories you've burned, the pace, the speed you're going at, this site is what I used until recently when Santa bought me my GPS watch...

littlegreenhen
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Oh ho, that is totally neat! The map for my area came through beautifully. And you can track off-road stuff?!? Wild. I'm going to enjoy playing with that.

In this house, Santa traditionally brings me a single bag of gummi frogs every year, but maybe he can be persuaded to bring me something a little more high-tech and a little less caloric next year. Thanks so much, Ilene.

midwife
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Welcome, LittleGreen! Are you going to join the 1000 mile challenge?

littlegreenhen
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Depends on how many years I get to finish the 1000 miles....
:-o

I'll post more in the 1000 miles thread, so as not to clog up the FAQ!

britster88
03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Good morning all!!! I have never gotten into running but am starting the couch potatoe to 5k program...wish me luck All the people I know who run say they love to run!!! Hope that happens!!!

Moni28
04-14-2010, 05:21 AM
I am completely game to try this C25k thing! :) I used to run when I was younger/smaller but I do remember having that runners high and feeling oh so good.

I need to get new shoes first.

Happy running everyone!

Tonyia
05-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Is it possible to begin on an Elliptical? I really want to run but it's almost impossible for me to go out and run in my area with my kids.

Ilene
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Is it possible to begin on an Elliptical? I really want to run but it's almost impossible for me to go out and run in my area with my kids.You can start cardio training on any machine, but an elliptical will not be the same workout as running, not even close, it's like comparing apples and oranges, they are completely different. If you have a treadmill on the other hand, it's the closest to running outside, but then again still not the same. If you do run on a treadmill you should also put it on an incline of at least 1%...

ennay
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Tonyia - It wont translate exactly and if you are doing an elliptical I would go by time not distance (which is pretty much what C25K is) Just pick an effort that you think is "walk equivalent" - something you could do for maybe 45-60 minutes straight and an effort that you think is run equivalent and go for it. The basic structure can translate to any kind of cardio if you are trying to get used to working at a higher level.

But if you do at some point start running, even if you have been doing run equivalent effort for 30 minutes, that doesnt mean you will be able to run for 30 minutes. Elliptical will build up your cardio and some of the muscles but wont prepare your joints and tendons for the impact and uses slightly different muscles. But it will make the transition to running easier.

PinkHoodie
05-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I LOVE to run. I'm not to the point where I'm ready to try C25K...I wanna give myself time to work up to that physcially. But I want to know that the breathing will get better. That's always what stops me, is I can't catch my breath, and it feels like I can't take a deep enough breath. As long as I know that this is normal and will go away with time I will keep going! :)

Ilene
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I LOVE to run. I'm not to the point where I'm ready to try C25K...I wanna give myself time to work up to that physcially. But I want to know that the breathing will get better. That's always what stops me, is I can't catch my breath, and it feels like I can't take a deep enough breath. As long as I know that this is normal and will go away with time I will keep going! :)I think you're going out too fast, hence shortness of breath, go slower and take it easy and you will breath easier too... C25k is beginner so you should not have to workout yourself up to it... If the first week you can`t run the whole minute just do 30 to 45 seconds, make it fit to you... Hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress :D

Eliana
05-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Now that I can run a 5K, how do I increase my speed from tortoise to hare? :D I was thinking sprint intervals...

Staci816
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Just started C25K this week and so far so good! I think I'll be sticking to the Week 1 training schedule for more than one week, just to get my endurance up. The thought of being able to jog (albiet slowly!) a 5K this fall is all the motiviation I need right now! My next major purchase will be really good shoes, as mine are a little old and could use an upgrade.

Thanks to everyone for their advice on this thread...and good luck to my fellow newbies!

beautifulone
05-19-2010, 06:10 PM
What is the difference between running on a treadmill vs. outside?

I can walk for 30 mins on a treadmill at a 3.6 mph speed - what's a minimum speed to try running at? Is 5.0 too fast, too slow? I'm also wondering about how to start running when the treadmill's going fast - i.e. do you literally just jump on and start running? That sounds so silly, I know, but I'm slightly scared of falling off the treadmill.:o Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

Ilene
05-19-2010, 07:31 PM
What is the difference between running on a treadmill vs. outside? It is easier on the treadmill because you have the belt propelling you forward. If you want to simulate outside running it's a good idea to put the treadmill on an incline of 2 or 3%...but it's still not the same. But I did use the treadmill for a year before running outside, now I refuse to run on the dreadmill, as I call it :lol:

I can walk for 30 mins on a treadmill at a 3.6 mph speed - what's a minimum speed to try running at? Is 5.0 too fast, too slow? I'm also wondering about how to start running when the treadmill's going fast - i.e. do you literally just jump on and start running? That sounds so silly, I know, but I'm slightly scared of falling off the treadmill.:o Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!The minimum speed to start running at is, what you are comfortable with, just start putting the speed up gradually and eventually you won't be able to walk you'll have to jog... do that jog for a minute or 30 seconds, whatever YOU can do... This is how the Couch to 5k program starts off... Google it and you'll see the slow progression of running up to a 5k...

Hope this helps :D

beautifulone
05-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks Ilene! I'll muster up the courage to try this.

proudmommy09
05-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi I just started the c25k program and so far Im loving it! I am working out on my treadmill and my question is whats a good pace to begin jogging? Also Im still a big girl 240lbs should I even think that I could do a 5k race in July? Is that too ambious of a goal for me?

Ilene
05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi I just started the c25k program and so far Im loving it! I am working out on my treadmill and my question is whats a good pace to begin jogging? Also Im still a big girl 240lbs should I even think that I could do a 5k race in July? Is that too ambious of a goal for me?The pace you should start at is the pace you can go at, you can't start at someone else's pace, we're all an experiment of one, so just go at your own pace and workout yourself up...At your weight you most definitely can do a 5k.... Just take your time and finish it, doesn't matter what your pace is... Go for it :cheer:

Rochester
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm thinking about trying the C25 program. I have three questions:

1. When I've exercised in the past, I always found it necessary to eat first so my blood sugar wouldn't drop. Will it be ok to eat before running? Any advice or suggestions?

2. How do you keep track of distance, speed, calories burned, etc.? Any recommendations for techie equipment stuff I should buy?

3. What kind of pre and post workouts should I do?

TIA!

:running:

ennay
05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
1.) eat lightly and something easily digested. Peanut butter toast or maybe 1/2 banana with PB. It may take experimenting to see what you can tolerate.

2) I wouldnt spend a lot of money off the bat, shoes and a good bra. If you want a cheap watch to track time you can, but honestly tracking speed is very unimportant. If you want to track distance you can use a site such as http://www.mapmyrun.com/ or http://www.runningahead.com/maps

3) You can warm up/cool down by walking. I think that is kind of built in to C25K Maybe some light stretching after

mkroyer
05-29-2010, 08:31 AM
this may sound weird, but lately ive been drinking a slim fast as my PRE work out nutrition....lots of carbs, some fat, and protein..in liquid form! Its perfect for me!

Eliana
05-29-2010, 11:47 AM
this may sound weird, but lately ive been drinking a slim fast as my PRE work out nutrition....lots of carbs, some fat, and protein..in liquid form! Its perfect for me!

Sounds good, but someone here told me once that it made them constipated, and I did eventually end up with the same issue. So if you have that problem, know it may be the Slimfast. ;)

Rochester
05-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the answers and suggestions! :)

I don't want to do SlimFast because of the artificial sweetener but I might try a protein shake. And bananas and peanut butter? I'm all about that! :cb:

Also thanks for the links, ennay. Running Ahead is GREAT!

Rochester
05-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok, now I have more questions. Sorry...I'm totally new to this! :^:

1. How do you carry stuff (water, keys, phone) etc. with you? Please don't say fanny pack. I hate fanny packs! ;)

2. When doing C25K, you have to alternate running and walking for a certain length of time. How do you time this? Stopwatch? How do you use a stopwatch without losing stride or falling on your face? Yes, I really am that uncoordinated. :o

3. I read that some people run barefoot. Is this really safe? Don't you need all the scientific supporty stuff of a good shoe?

anne1140
05-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I know there are belts that you can put water bottles on. I haven't gotten one yet, though. There are arm bands for iPods that you may be able to put your phone in.

I used to use my phone as a timer until I got a cheap watch with a timer built in. It's relatively easy to use.

No idea about your last question.

Now my question...I've been working on the C25K for about a month, and in that time, I've developed an SI joint injury. I went to the doctor, and he said that I need physical therapy. He didn't say whether I could continue running or not. Has anyone had this problem before? Some days, it feels fine, and other days, it feels like someone is stabbing me in my lower back. Would this have been caused by poor running form, or from the high impact, or not by running at all? I know that I have high arches and subpronate, but I got shoes to help with that. Lastly, what kind of things can I do to help strengthen the muscles around the area? I know I will learn this in physical therapy, but I don't go for another week, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

ennay
05-29-2010, 03:55 PM
rochester
1) I carry as little as possible. You really dont NEED water during the workout although there are ways to carry. There are also varying carry devices depending on what you like. I have a house key I put in my key pocket and that is it for most days.

2)One of the reasons I am NOT a fan of C25K is this reason. If you have an expensive watch you can program it to count the intervals for you. There are some affordable watches you can set to count down I think. I personally would just walk for awhile, run for awhile and each time try to go longer. I always did it by landmarks such as lamp poles.

3. The debate rages on. There are some injuries caused by barefoot. There are some injuries caused by OVERLY supportive shoes. Since as a society you have probably worn shoes most of your life you are probably less at risk by going the expensive shoe option.

anne - I would wait until PT and have him tell you. Find a PT that is generally supportive of running. The severity of the injury may impact the answer to all your questions. I had an SI injury from falling down stairs and the treatment was pretty therapy intensive more than exercise intensive (massage, ultrasound, astym etc.)

Eliana
05-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I have heard that it is better to run barefoot IN GRASS or sand or other natural terrain. It's not for me!! I have the most sensitive feet on earth. One little pebble will find me crying in pain. :rolleyes:

Rochester
05-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks ennay! :)

momof5k
05-31-2010, 11:18 PM
There are tons of free downloadable podcasts for Couch to 5K too!

lots2go
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
There are tons of free downloadable podcasts for Couch to 5K too!

i'm new to this too, and am wanting to download a podcast for this.....which is your fave? I'm a christian and prefer to not have a lot of vulgar language to deal with :D that's my only stipulation :)

MindiV
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Ok, so I'm needing something different, and I did try running for a while on a treadmill back over the winter. Can't do the treadmill at ALL - it makes me motion sick. The feeling of moving and going nowhere messes with my head, stomach and everything in between.

So a little over a week ago my husband and I hit the local track. We stretched to warm up, walked a warm up lap at a good pace, jogged a minute then walked a minute (repeated a couple of times) then finished out to about 25 minutes with jogging the straight 100s and walking the curves.

I was SORE for a couple of days. Took Sunday off, then back to the track Monday (Memorial Day). It felt good to run, though walking hurt (my shins especially). Afterward I was sore another couple of days. I went a third time Friday when I thought I wasn't as sore, and started having this shooting pain from my left hip down into my left knee. Gave it up after about 10 minutes and went home to the elliptical.

So...hip pain? The shin stuff and overall soreness I can understand. But is the hip pain something I should worry about? I want to incorporate some running/walking intervals a couple of times a week, but I'm kinda scared to go back to it...

Rochester
06-15-2010, 07:37 AM
When is knee pain a concern?

On Sunday and today, my left knee really hurts after running. It feels hot and swollen (but looks fine) and hurts to bend and straighten. And a bag of frozen veggies feels ridiculously soothing! :) I just started C25K; today was day 7 of running. Do I need to worry? I love running; I don't want to stop. :(

Ilene
06-15-2010, 08:48 AM
When is knee pain a concern?

On Sunday and today, my left knee really hurts after running. It feels hot and swollen (but looks fine) and hurts to bend and straighten. And a bag of frozen veggies feels ridiculously soothing! :) I just started C25K; today was day 7 of running. Do I need to worry? I love running; I don't want to stop. :( Since it's only your day 7 of running it could just be an acclimatization period for you. Keep icing and resting it inbetween runs.

Do you have good shoes meant specifically for running? Was your gait analized at a running store?

Also as you lose weight you will have less pressure on your knees and you'll feel better.

If it does persist though, please get it checked :yes:

Rochester
06-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks Ilene!

I do have a good Nike running shoe, but I wasn't specifically analyzed when I purchased it. I plan to buy new shoes and go through the whole analysis process if I complete C25K.

I hope the pain is acclimation and nothing serious.

ErinRobles
06-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Okay, my cw is 382, I have lost 103.. and I want to run. I have made some efforts at getting started and it is amazing. At my highest weight I could just barely move and now I can run (for no kind of distance, but its the principle that I can actually do it) I want to work up to a 5k... but I have a hold back... my stomach. It is way bouncier than my chest since it hangs so low and it rubs, makes embarassing noises, etc... Any ideas? Im thinking compression shorts or a girdle but I was hoping someone had some advice for me....

Another running wardrobe malfunction.. anyone have problems with supination? If so I would love to hear shoe recommendations.. besides orthotics which I have and am not so thrilled with.

Thanks!

Rochester
06-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I wear a tight pair of Spandex shorts under my running shorts. Keeps everything nicely in place so I'm not distracted by flopping. :o :D

ErinRobles
06-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I think I'm going to have to invest in a pair... cus it is definitely a distraction. :) Thanks for the input

LisaMarie71
06-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Erin, I've had the same problem with my stomach, and I agree that wearing a super-tight pair of shorts under your clothes is the key. Sometimes I still have some bouncing but the shorts keep it contained as much as possible. Even when I lost weight down to 165 and was wearing size small running shorts, my stomach flopped around (extra skin) when I was running. As far as chafing goes, I use Bodyglide.

I don't have an answer for your supination question, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in! :)

MrsDawsondn
07-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I have a question, I am 300 lbs, 5'8". Have started the slow intervals, walk/run. Got up to 7 min cumulative Tues, but the next morning had significant knee pain. Been running on concrete. (That's what the path in my park is..) Feel better now, but some people tell me I should just walk till I lose 100 lbs or so. I need to get some better running shoes for overpronators, and plan to run on grass from now on.

Weight is no reason not to run sis. I started running at 328. Yes I am a penguin and go very slow but I feel stronger when I run and I know my energy level has increased significantly. If your doctor has approved this kind of exercise I say go for it. Just remember to go at your own pace. Make your own benchmarks and you can do it. Also I find that running on concrete is very hard on me as well I like to run on gravel as it gives a little more bounce back with each step or even grass is a softer ground to run on as you plan to do.

MrsDawsondn
07-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Hmm I may try that as lately I've been doing early morning runs and usually end up running to get out of the door in the mornings and missing breakfast and my appetite is unbelievable by 8-9am :o

dudesmom
07-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I can't wait to start running again, but I've been so long without exercise that I am afraid to jump right into it. Someone asked about running barefoot, and I actually used to do that, but only inside my house (yes, I would run for exercise inside my house). I loved it, but would never ever do that outside.

Jlyne327
08-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Is there anyone out there that has asthma and runs? A few other ladies have talked about breathing issues but didn't mention that they have asthma. It's a little different when you have the weak lungs. I know it's possible, but I'm slightly concerned. The horror of the elementary mile run each year for gym class still haunts me. haha

I was thinking that I could start taking my controller medicine (Advair) regularly for a week and then start slowly incorporating the jogging/running. I usually never have a problem walking or being on the elliptical but the running always gets to me. I really want to try this to get my weight loss in gear. I don't have enough money for a gym membership so this would be a nice way of incorporating cardio.

jefferzzzz
10-08-2010, 12:26 PM
What about proper running technique? I've tried videos on YouTube and they all contradict one another. Can someone please explain? Or have a link to a great resource (website, video, etc.)?

runhellokitty
10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
About the knee pain...
do LEG LIFTS! You lay on your side and lift the top leg up, keeping it straight about 15 reps. There should be videos on YouTube about how to do this. I run marathons and this srsly helps. Most knee pain is due to weak hip muscles and leg lifts will help strengthen.
Another thing, the 10% rule. Do NOT increase your milage by more than 10% a week or you will likely develop some kind of pain/injury.

Running form, stand up straight, keep shoulders relaxed. The most important thing is when you swing your arms do not let them cross the centerline of your body. Your arms should pump forward to help 'propel' you forward. Side to side motion is just wasted energy, you will get tired easier.

heshleman
10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Rochester,

The knee pain could also be Runner's Knee which is super uncomfortable and can become something you should see a doctor about. Typically, it's overuse. Constantly making the same motion with your muscles can irritate them. This usually goes away within a week. However, it could mean misalignment of your knee and the weight and impact isn't being evenly distributed. The reason I've gotten this before is because I have flat feet. The arch is supposed to keep the muscles in your feet from over extending. In my case, the arch collapses on every step and it stretches the muscles throughout my knees/legs and they get irritated resulting in my knee killing me. I kind of summarized part of the page, but here is the link that I found:

webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee

heshleman
10-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Jlyne327:

I have asthma & attempt running at the gym. A piece of advice I'd been given before is to breath through your nose instead of through your mouth. It is difficult and takes a lot of practice. The reason being that in asthmatics, the temperature difference is what irritates the lungs. When you breath through your nose, the air temp equals itself to the same temp as what is in your lungs. When you breath through your mouth, there is little time given to equalize the temp to your lungs, resulting in constriction of the bronchials.

Also, in my own research, I've come across a breathing technique that is supposed to help tame asthma. It's called the Butekyo breathing technique. Again, this takes A LOT of practice as well but it's worth a shot.

Just remember to start out slow. Set a reasonable amount of time for yourself to run. Then slowly start to up that time a little. Or start setting a distance that you could run. Then slowly up that. It's all about getting your body used to running.

I get bored with running and started taking zumba classes as my aerobics as well. So the days I dont have zumba, I'll run on the treadmill.

I hope this was even the slightest helpful and good luck!

armygirl808
12-26-2010, 06:58 PM
This is all very helpful! I am going to start the couch to 5k today.
Any breathing tips?

Cassie8236
12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I have no advise, by next week (NOT to coincide with the new years resolutions people put out and don't keep - promise - just fell that way) I am going to start running, possibly the C25K...I HAVE to do this. For me. No more excuses.

cincimom11
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Breathing tips: Just do what feels natural. I've got bad allergies, so I end up breathing through my mouth. If you're breathing very hard, slow down. The slower you go, the longer you'll last.

Caffeinated
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi all! I've always secretly wanted to be "a runner" and, via diet, I'm down from 299 to 263 lbs (I'm 5'9".) I walk pretty frequently (I usually walk a path around a lake in my city every Sunday, it's a 3 mile walk) and I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical at a moderate pace. I'd like to attempt the C25K, but I'm wondering if I'm still too heavy to start, or if I should stretch out more walking between running in Week 1 (walk for longer, or run for less) - any thoughts?

kleemandy
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for posting the Couch to 5K. I am going to continue the walking and jogging but into this now. I do find I have a hard time breathing going up a hill and if I slow down, feel like a turtle. I do fine on flat surface and going down hill even lightly jogging but man the uphill is a killer. Also I do alot of my excercise pushing my toddler in the jogger stroller with a back pack on my back (not heavy) but I also bring a water bottle that hold 3 cups of water and I periodically sip it. I don't see other people carry any so is that bad to drink water while your walking/jogging. I drink 6 to 8 glasses a day and nothing else.

RandoMandaPanda
03-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey chicks! Came across this blog that I love... I have it saved on the hone screen of my iPod touch and I read it before every run. Read and enjoy, especially if you're just getting into running!

http://justrunjustlivejustbe.com/2009/02/22/how-to-fool-yourself-into-becoming-a-runner/

I am a fairly new runner, and having a rough time with stamina issues. I can go about .25 mi max at about 4.5 mph, so I've been hitting the treadmill (which measures 1/4 mile laps) and doing half a lap tiptoed at 3 mph and half a lap jogging at 4.5, then I alternate back and forth. I've been getting some good calf muscle definition from it, and on my rest days man oh man can I feel it!

I am stuck on the dreadmill until I'm confident enough to run in public... At 237, I am still too self conscious to let people see me carrying my fat butt down the street, hahaha... Plus, this way I can more accurately measure speed, time, and distance so I can log it in DailyBurn. I am anxious to invest in some proper shoes and clothes to wear when I make it to onederland (actually 198 when I will be overweight instead of obese)!

I'm at a 16 minute mile more or less (how embarrassing!) at the moment... Where did everyone else start???

julesp313
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
RandoManda - that blog is funny and some of the tips are pretty helpful (like tell yourself you are a runner). As a new runner, 16 min miles are fine - you'll slowly increase that as you become fitter and more used to running. I have been running for years, on and off, and I still average a 11-12 minute mile. On a good day - when the planets align and all that - I can push out a 10 min mile for a couple of miles. I love running slow and steady - I'm a distance lover, not a speed lover!

I personally prefer to work on building distance and stamina over speed - I started running again about three weeks ago, following knee surgery (not running related - curved spine related), and I'm just now back up to doing 2-2.5 miles with one or two walk breaks. And I'm not a light, fit runner - I'm a good solid hefty runner! I would try each week to bump the time you spend running just a bit - the rule of thumb is 10% per week - and keep those walking intervals the same. Slowly you'll find yourself running longer and longer intervals and walking less and less. Once you get to a distance you feel good at - say three miles running without breaks - then you can work on speeding up. I like three miles as if you can run three miles, you can do a whole bunch of 5k races which are really fun.

The only comment I have is that you mention getting "proper shoes" when you hit 198. I would say please make sure you are running in running shoes, not cross trainers or walking shoes, and if at all possible, go to a running store where they can analyze your gait and put you in the right shoes. I think the biggest reason many starting runners don't keep going is they buy the wrong shoes, end up in pain, and quit. I am lucky enough to have two great stores in my area, both of which put you on a treadmill and video you from the knees down. When my DH and I went, you can clearly see that he overpronates (rolls his feet inwards) and I don't pronate noticably at all. We then both got new shoes and both of us, in just three weeks, have noticed a massive improvement in our running form and in the lack of aches and pains. OK, end of sermon. :)

Most of all, just have fun with running - read some of John Bingham's articles and books. He's all about running for the sheer pleasure of running.

Hope some of that long, blathering post was of use!

RandoMandaPanda
03-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Very useful, Jules! To be honest, I am really down on my luck right now... I am a stay at home mom recently left by my son's father/boyfriend of 6 years. He is out of the country, so no way to really even squeeze child support out of him. I suppose you could call me homeless... I am having a hard time finding a job, and I am currently (temporarily) staying with family sharing a mattress on the floor with my 4 year old in a small guest room. Odd jobs, babysitting, dog walking, etc., are helping pay for food and clothes, but I simply cannot justify any greater expense. I have $20 sneakers from Wally World as that is truly all I can afford right now. I am trying to put away about $5 a week if and when I can so that when the time comes I can hopefully afford decent shoes! Not to whine my sob story all over the place, but it's not really a choice not to buy the shoes... It's inability rather than being cheap. Additionally (and fortunately) I've been running for a few weeks now and am having no pain issues whatsoever, so for the time being there's that. Of course, I used to tend bar for 10 hour shifts on 3" heels, so I'm probably just numb from the ankles down! Hehe! Seriously though, I appreciate the advice, have taken it to heart and will heed it as soon as financially possible. Thank you.

I am glad a 16 minute mile isn't completely laughable! I am still 40 lbs obese, which isn't a weight one could really consider conducive to running, lol, but at least it's something. I just started on C25K last night, and it's exhausting but I think I'll get through it! So far, it appears I may be on week one for at least two weeks. I'm definitely in no hurry, just kind of wondering what others' experiences had been!

Congrats to you on getting right back on the horse, err, road, after surgery like that! I sprained an ankle in 05 and stayed in my air cast for twice the length of time prescribed, lol! I'm such a baby!!!

Amanda

ETA: Ah, and as for the whole rolling your foot thing! I have always been duck footed and as a result I walk on the outer edges of my feet. I always wear out the outsides of my shoes first! I hate my gait and think it looks doofy, so (especially since I'm a dreadmill jogger and they happen to face a mirrored wall) I try to correct it and keep my toes pointed straight. I wonder if anyone knows offhand if that could potentially cause problems. Any advice there?

ETA: Google tells me I'm a supinator. Good to have a name to go with my awkward outward foot rolling! I am a duck footed supinator lol. Cheers!

julesp313
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Amanda - I'm very sorry to hear of your current circumstances. You're absolutely right that you and your son's health and welfare must come first and it sounds like you're doing whatever you can to ensure you're both taken care of. Items such as running shoes - which no matter how you dice it are not cheap - can come when things turn in a more favorable direction. I'm very glad you're not having issues with the current shoes - that is always a good thing!

I'm currently 40lbs overweight, have been for a while (overweight, I mean - the 40lbs is an improvement over the last month or so!) and I run anyway. For sure losing some of the weight will allow me to run faster, probably with better form, and undoubtedly will help reduce the strain on my knees, but I run because I love it and it's the only cardio I'll do with any consistency.

I didn't do the formal C25k plan, but I did something similar with the walking breaks. I think the key to starting any program is to do it at your pace - the worst thing is to have a set back because you went too hard too soon and either hurt yourself or found it unbearably hard (speaking from experience here!). The C25k plan is excellent, and if you find yourself at the end of a week really thinking "I'm just not ready to move on yet" - just repeat the week. It'll work no matter how long you spend doing it!

On your gait, if you roll onto the outer edges of your feet, yes, you are a supinator. Much less common than over-pronation but still something a lot of runners have. It's your natural gait and while you can correct it somewhat with the right shoes, I wouldn't try and completely correct it. Part of my knee issue was due to someone incorrectly determining I pronate and putting me in stability shoes, which then overcorrected my LACK of pronation. Once I got the new neutral shoes, I am finding it far easier to run with a more natural stride. Again, not at this moment in time but when you are ready, see if you can find a running store who can really take the time to analyze your stride and help you find the best shoe for you. You will likely be amazed how being in the correct technical shoe will help you feel and perform better.

And on a final note - funny that you mention getting back on the horse, because that's also something I've just been able to do, literally. I have a horse and had to avoid riding for three months after the surgery - that was so miserable for me, as I truly missed being with my big ol' nag, but now I'm back to riding and running and it makes the days just that little bit better!

Good luck with everything! :)

lajpr
03-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Doing my first 5k tomorrow. Is it ok to do a walk/jog pattern. Like 5 min. walking, then 5 min. jogging. Just doing it for fun.

RandoMandaPanda
03-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Jules, things are rough but I don't think I've been given anything I couldn't handle! It'll turn around in no time... I hope! Putting my mind and energy into exercise--even for just 30 minutes a day--has been a great tool.

As far as C25K goes, I am enjoying the podcast as a running soundtrack... And the narrator guy interrupts the nifty techno/house beats with encouragement and letting me know that it's time to cool down or run again. I really think I'm going to wind up doing this first week at least twice, but I'm in no hurry. It feels good just to chug away for the time being!

I'm glad you had your gait properly analyzed and the shoes are workingfor you! I hate shoes anyway... If people wouldn't look at me cross-eyed, I'd hit the treadmill barefoot, lol. I am kind of considering vibrams instead of traditional shoes, but I'm not sure yet. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. My supination doesn't bother me, never really has, except for the fact that it looks hilarious and I am self conscious about it. Purely a vanity thing. I also used to frequently misjudge steps (off curbs and into my sunken living room) and roll my ankle. After 3 sprains I have become a lot more cautious when stepping off curbs!!!

And :congrats: for getting back onto the horse again in the literal sense too!!! You're a trooper!

Lajpr-I have frequently heard the advice to just ENJOY your first race. Don't worry about your time, just enjoy it, take it all in, and after that worry about your time. If you're comfortable and will enjoy 5 walking/5 jogging, then more power to you! Do what feels right!

Amanda

Sailorglitter
03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I started doing run/walk intervals twice a week with a friend (who has lost over 30 pounds herself) well i got an ipod and i think im gonna start doing 3 miles every morning, right now i can't run too far but the more i do it the better i'll get. Hopefully it'll help me lose the 40 pounds I need to lose :^:

cacaphony
03-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Some people have been asking about bare foot running. It seems the scientific debate is uncertain whether it's better or worse for you, so I guess you should do what feels best for you. If it hurts to run, in a way that makes you feel like you'll be crippled if you continue, then change how you run.

Anyway, my own personal experience:

pros: I find there's no pain running barefoot on concrete (it seems it would be oppossite, but it isn't the hardness of the surface that matters, it is the force you hit it with. In shoes, I slam my feet a lot so it hurts, but barefoot I don't.)

Negs: you can cut your feet, get bitten by bugs/spiders, and you get ugly callouses. you have to get used to using different muscles because your gait will probably change, so at first it is difficult.

Other: you can blister at first if you're not used to walking around barefoot anyway. You can get little sockshoes that guard your feet against cuts but are very lightweight and thin. People WILL look at you funny.

Anyway, you might as well give it a try if you're curious. I find it works for me, in terms of getting rid of those jarring pains, but I've never seen anyone else do it around here, unless they're about three years old :p

rundownsink
03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Hello! I have been lurking for a while. I thought I'd say hi and ask for some advice. Like many people, I was always envious of people that could run. I finally had it last september and began my journey. I used a great program on itunes podcast called podrunner c25k. I now run about 5 miles every other day. Once in a while, I get pains in my knees. A friend recommended glucosamine to help. Is this safe? Has anyone used it and can tell me if it works?

Thanks in advance! =)

Ilene
03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Hello! I have been lurking for a while. I thought I'd say hi and ask for some advice. Like many people, I was always envious of people that could run. I finally had it last september and began my journey. I used a great program on itunes podcast called podrunner c25k. I now run about 5 miles every other day. Once in a while, I get pains in my knees. A friend recommended glucosamine to help. Is this safe? Has anyone used it and can tell me if it works?

Thanks in advance! =)I took glucosamine when I first started running and my knees did not hurt at all... My husband still takes it and if he doesn't he feels the pain in his knees... I stopped taking it and my knees are still fine but I use a lot of good oils, flax, olive oil, coconut oil, and I think this helps a lot...

DTerminedOne1219
04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Faerie;2367769]I know this has been posted so frequently around 3FC, but the Couch to 5K program helped me get off the couch and start attempting to run. It is a very approachable program for people completely new to running. So if I may:

[QUOTE]

i would love to say thank you for posting this! this is exactly what i was looking for! I am modifying it bit to fit my goal and take 4 months to do it instead of 2 (if i need that long) but i know i have the tools to do it now! and as a matter of fact, my friend and i are starting monday!!!

Awesome, very helpful post!

aussienerd
06-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi newbie here :p
just a question so when I run my gums start to itch quite badly and my throat. Feels like its closing. Also after I run I cough and weaz(sp) am I running to hard or what?
thankks

wtfudge
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Hey... Reassure me. :/ each time I start running again, I gain weight. Why? It's so demotivational. I would run about 2-3 miles one night and see a 3-4pm gain within two days. I blame this effect for catapulting me into the 180s in the past, it was that intolerable to me.

Please reassure me and tell me this is water weight or muscle weight. No, I haven't lost inches. :( If anything, I've gained half an inch on the waist.

Why does running do this to me? Even if I run for three days in a row, this happens as soon as I stop: I gain more weight than I lost and then go higher than I've been in a while. I mean, omg, the scale read 160.5 last night!! :(

My theory: I'm simultaneously gaining muscle and NOT losing the fat. Hence super big girl effect :(

PaintedButterfly
01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Okay so I just started running again (haven't done it properly in many years) and I am frighteningly unfit! I used to run cross-country and now I can't even run for a couple minutes at a time! I found I got a cough from it and all this phlegm.. is this normal? I put it down to just being really unfit but is there anyway to prevent it?
I was running in wellingtons in marshy fields which probably didn't help. I'm planning to invest in some trainers although I'm very confused by which to buy.. also can't really afford to pay more than 40 and all the reviews and advice for trainers seems to relate to trainers more like 100 which I absolutely cannot afford. I know I have very high arches though (high enough that I'm supposed to wear very expensive arch supports which I have lost :P) and am straight legged so I think I need a cushioned shoe with gell/air support in the heel? I had a pair of nike Air's many years ago and they were brilliant.. they seem to have somewhat gone up in price since though >:| Can anyone recommend something cheaper but similar? (Before anyone suggests a running store I live in a very isolated area so there's no way I can get to a specialist running store.. even getting to a sports store would be difficult and I'm unfortunately looking to buy on Amazon which I know isn't ideal cos really you need to try on the shoe)

Ilene
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
PaintedButterfly : You really, really, should get yourself to a running store, at least once to be fitted, you cannot buy on-line and expect to get the right running shoe, they must be tried on, then the next pair can be bought on-line when you know how they fit... One brand may and will vary from another even if they are supposed to be for high arches or whatever... Your feet are very important they support the rest of your body and the wrong pair of shoes could screw your back and alignment up badly...

Here are some pointers for new runners :

Start slow and easy, jog, don't go into an all out run...
Warm up with a brisk walk for 5 minutes, jog for 30 seconds, rest for 90 seconds do this 10 times, then cool down for 5 minutes... Do this for a week or longer if need be...
Run/jog every second day only, to start...Your muscles and ligaments need to adjust, or you will injure yourself...
Look up the Couch to 5k running program...

PaintedButterfly
01-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey thanks Ilene.

I've downloaded the C25K thing.. and haha it was the first one of those that I was struggling with :o

Thing is.. my nearest city is literally 50 miles away and I don't drive... and I know there's no specialist sport/running stores near here. The majority of sport stores in general closed down within the last two years so I'm a bit stuck there :?:

Looks like a lot of trainers on amazon you can send back which is something I guess.. although I've just remembered my cousin is coming to visit at the end of the week and he's got a degree in sport science and is a personal trainer.. I remember him ranting about people having the wrong trainers before and how important a proper shoe was so perhaps he could help me out and working out the right shoe. I know he just forked out a terrifying amount for a pair of trainers that are feet shaped... I'm hoping he's not going to recommend something like that though :p

Ilene
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
If you found the C252k difficult, cut the running back to 15 seconds, whatever works for you... This program is not a life or death contract, it can be adjusted and worked with... Go out for a run/jog with your cousin when he is in town...

There is a pair of runners out there for every budget :yes:

LAgreeneyes
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
What should a person look for when they are shopping for running shoes? Any tips?

What is your favorite running shoe? What do you suggest?

Ilene
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
What should a person look for when they are shopping for running shoes? Any tips?

What is your favorite running shoe? What do you suggest?Your best bet, if at all possible, is to get fitted at a running specific store. They will be able to fit you properly by doing a running gait analysis to see if you over or under pronate... There is not specifically a better running shoe brand but the shoe that fits YOU best... I have been wearing Asics for years now and when I suggested a change of company to the store I go to, they didn't recommend it especially that I am completely satisfied with Asics... so I stuck with what I knew best and my shoes run at $189 in Canada :faint: but they are well worth it and I change them once per year, I probably should change them every 6 months, but at that price I make them last the year...

LAgreeneyes
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Your best bet, if at all possible, is to get fitted at a running specific store. They will be able to fit you properly by doing a running gait analysis to see if you over or under pronate... There is not specifically a better running shoe brand but the shoe that fits YOU best... I have been wearing Asics for years now and when I suggested a change of company to the store I go to, they didn't recommend it especially that I am completely satisfied with Asics... so I stuck with what I knew best and my shoes run at $189 in Canada :faint: but they are well worth it and I change them once per year, I probably should change them every 6 months, but at that price I make them last the year...

If there are no running stores near where you live so that you can be fitted, what do you recommend?

Ilene
01-26-2012, 02:14 PM
If there are no running stores near where you live so that you can be fitted, what do you recommend?

Here is a good article that may help determine your Gait Analysis (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sports-specific/running-injuries/gait-analysis) ... One way that you can get an idea for yourself whether you pronate, supinate or have a neutral foot strike is to look at the wear of your trainers or shoes. These must be shoes which you worn a lot so that there is a pattern of wear on the sole. Watch our video on assessing trainer wear here.Now if you can determine what you are, then you can chose a shoe. It's all trial and error... I've had Nike, New Balance, Adidas, Saucony, they were all good but they all had something I didn't find perfect about them. I then found Asics and really like them... All running shoe companies have different types of shoes for motion control, cushioning and stability... It's to figure out what you are and this is usually done very well at a running specific store... It's quite the science really!

Now a days they even recommend to run barefoot, which I haven't tried yet :lol:

Here is the Running Room Store (http://www.shop.runningroom.com/) on-line, this is the store I buy my shoes when I go to the city, which is an hour away... Go to >Shoes > Women's Shoes and look around and you'll see what I mean... I wear the Asics Gel-Nimbus 13 (http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?cPath=261_490_495_514&products_id=8376&languages_id=1) which are a cushioning type shoe, click on the yellow icon to see the description of cushioning...

LAgreeneyes
01-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Here is a good article that may help determine your Gait Analysis (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sports-specific/running-injuries/gait-analysis) ... Now if you can determine what you are, then you can chose a shoe. It's all trial and error... I've had Nike, New Balance, Adidas, Saucony, they were all good but they all had something I didn't find perfect about them. I then found Asics and really like them... All running shoe companies have different types of shoes for motion control, cushioning and stability... It's to figure out what you are and this is usually done very well at a running specific store... It's quite the science really!

Now a days they even recommend to run barefoot, which I haven't tried yet :lol:

Here is the Running Room Store (http://www.shop.runningroom.com/) on-line, this is the store I buy my shoes when I go to the city, which is an hour away... Go to >Shoes > Women's Shoes and look around and you'll see what I mean... I wear the Asics Gel-Nimbus 13 (http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?cPath=261_490_495_514&products_id=8376&languages_id=1) which are a cushioning type shoe, click on the yellow icon to see the description of cushioning...

WOW!!! Yes, it really is a science to all of this. :D

The info has helped me a lot. I should try to find a store that can fit me. I didn't realize there was so much involved in finding a running shoe. Who knew.

Thanks for ALL of the information and links.

Ilene
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM
WOW!!! Yes, it really is a science to all of this. :D

The info has helped me a lot. I should try to find a store that can fit me. I didn't realize there was so much involved in finding a running shoe. Who knew.

Thanks for ALL of the information and links.My pleasure ;)

ksmahoney
04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Can someone please answer this question for me? I have posted it before and on two other threads, but still haven't gotten any help with it.

You absolutely can run everyday, especially if you aren't prone to injuries. I would advise starting off running just three days per week at first, and then every few weeks you can add another day. Our bodies can handle quite a bit of exercise, as long as you work up to it gradually.
I would also advise lifting on the days you don't run until your body has adjusted a bit. Once running has become a regular part of your routine, feel free to lift on the same days you run.
-Sara (Exercise Physiologist)

Jentry07
12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I agree!!! Great call in mentioning! I think it was amazing to helping motivate me to run!

Kscott
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi newbie here :p
just a question so when I run my gums start to itch quite badly and my throat. Feels like its closing. Also after I run I cough and weaz(sp) am I running to hard or what?
thankks

It sounds like exercise induced asthma. My daughter is a runner and went to the doctor and he prescribed an inhaler that she only uses right before she runs and that corrected the problem. It's not like regular asthma as she is fine when she doesn't exercise.

Kscott
05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Okay so I just started running again (haven't done it properly in many years) and I am frighteningly unfit! I used to run cross-country and now I can't even run for a couple minutes at a time! I found I got a cough from it and all this phlegm.. is this normal? I put it down to just being really unfit but is there anyway to prevent it?
I was running in wellingtons in marshy fields which probably didn't help. I'm planning to invest in some trainers although I'm very confused by which to buy.. also can't really afford to pay more than 40 and all the reviews and advice for trainers seems to relate to trainers more like 100 which I absolutely cannot afford. I know I have very high arches though (high enough that I'm supposed to wear very expensive arch supports which I have lost :P) and am straight legged so I think I need a cushioned shoe with gell/air support in the heel? I had a pair of nike Air's many years ago and they were brilliant.. they seem to have somewhat gone up in price since though >:| Can anyone recommend something cheaper but similar? (Before anyone suggests a running store I live in a very isolated area so there's no way I can get to a specialist running store.. even getting to a sports store would be difficult and I'm unfortunately looking to buy on Amazon which I know isn't ideal cos really you need to try on the shoe)

Living in a remote area myself--you can find all kinds of shoes on the internet--just google the kind you're looking for. Some sites even give you a printed form to measure your foot so you don't get the wrong size. Also you can type in running shoes for those with high arches to see what comes up.

As far as the wheezing--it's probably because you haven't run in x amount of years--but the good news you do have prior cross country training which would come back fairly quickly on how you used to do it.

Hlthgrl
06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Looking for some tips from experienced runners. I'm new to running. I've been at it for about 6 weeks now and am truly enjoying it. I was very dedicated to the program I am doing but then got sick. At first it seemed like a mild cold and while I'm sure it's nothing serious it's dragging on. I'm congested (which makes me feel dizzy) and coughing a lot with no relief. I ran throughout the first week but have taken about 4 days off now and honestly am stressing out over it. When do you all decide if you're too ill to run? Should I be pushing through this and running or is it better to take a rest when needed. I'm itching to get back at it.

lariet50
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
So I weigh 388 now, but I'm having real trouble losing through diet alone. My weight fluctuates terribly even when I'm eating the same way every day. So I'm hoping exercise will give me a needed boost to the weight loss. At my weight, is it totally insane to begin a running program? And obviously I'd be starting VERY slowly, mostly walking, etc.

AJ'sAwesomeMom
09-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Definitely take some time off! I usually take a day or two off as soon as I start feeling a little sick - trying to push through an illness will only make you sicker. You won't be able to push as hard during workouts, and you will end up having to take even more time off to recover. It's always better to rest a day or two early on than to overdo it and waste a couple weeks! I would say with this cold, hold off running until you feel better, then ease back into it - short, easy runs until you feel 100% better. Good luck, and I hope you heal quickly! **I just saw that you posted back in June...oops! I hope you're better by now!**

Looking for some tips from experienced runners. I'm new to running. I've been at it for about 6 weeks now and am truly enjoying it. I was very dedicated to the program I am doing but then got sick. At first it seemed like a mild cold and while I'm sure it's nothing serious it's dragging on. I'm congested (which makes me feel dizzy) and coughing a lot with no relief. I ran throughout the first week but have taken about 4 days off now and honestly am stressing out over it. When do you all decide if you're too ill to run? Should I be pushing through this and running or is it better to take a rest when needed. I'm itching to get back at it.

elliemackay07
09-26-2013, 09:52 PM
HIIT is a great option if you dont have much time! Just type high intesnsity interval training into google to know more, I just started so Im not the most knowledgable. Its handy on busy days though!

MizzJessica
11-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Im 251lbs and starting to run! Its difficult on my knees though, any suggestions?

FiveofaKind
03-11-2014, 12:23 PM
I love running on the treadmill, and set the incline at 1.5 and increase the speed .5 every minute until I reach 5.5, then back down to 3.0. Trying to get up to 45 min at this pace. My question is should I add weights Mon, Wed, Fri and drop my run to20min or stick with weights everyday and stick with 30 + until I reach 45 min?

CherryPie99
03-11-2014, 01:56 PM
It depends - what are your goals? Do you want to run a 1/2 marathon or are you just running for some cardio?

tancil
03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I just skimmed over the C25K site, and I honestly can't wait to get started! This will definitely be useful in maintenance! :D