Exercise! - Lies in the Gym - good article

View Full Version : Lies in the Gym - good article

PhotoChick
09-17-2008, 04:51 PM
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=45

You don't have to go far in the average gym to find someone willing to give you bad information. People are full of ideas and advice about women and weights. The other day I heard the most ludicrous thing yet: that cardio work was bad for you because it built muscle that pushed the fat out farther. Yep, I guess that's why marathon runners are all so obeseóduh. Some of the worst offenders are fitness magazines and personal trainers.

It's written with a good sense of humor and some good solid info.

mandalinn82
09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
:bravo: on that article.

I often wonder how much of the "advice" people pass out is something that started as a specific piece of advice for ONE PERSON that was then viewed as "for everyone".

For example, I really CAN'T squat past 90 degrees. Why? Because I had knee surgery, and when I go past 90 degrees, one knee ligament gets caught on a certain part of my knee hinge and goes "pop", and it hurts. I'd never say to someone "Oh, don't go past 90 degrees" though, even though I know that, FOR ME, more than 90 degrees isn't a good idea. I wonder if someone hears this sort of thing and says "More than 90 degrees = UNIVERSALLY BAD" and then starts spreading it?

MotoMichelle
09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
That was great. I enjoyed the hall of shame comments at the end too. :D

midwife
09-17-2008, 05:14 PM
So funny! I started off laughing...and then when I got to the comment that said "You don't want to <get too big>" I paused....people have said that to me. First, they don't know what they are talking about. And second, who the bleepity bleep bleep do they think they are to tell me what I want or don't want? What I WANT is to push my body to its limits, develop my muscles to the best extent possible, and critics can mind their own beeswax. When I want their opinion (which I don't), I'll ask (which I won't) and until then I will seek the advice and expertise of my trainers and the chickies on 3FC.

PhotoChick
09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh, no doubt, Manda.

I suspect someone somewhere was told "You should never do X" and they told their friend and their friend said "Oh I heard from a trainer that you should never ... " and so on and so on and so on.

junebug41
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
"Women should stick to machines and stay away from free weights."

What a load! Now, there are some "grunters" (you know the guys I'm talking about) in the weight room that may feel that way, but I simply do not like the machines. I've always used free weights.

yoyonomoreinvegas
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
So much of that is just more typical misinformation. Quite honestly, for a long time the only women body builders I ever saw were the juiced ones - except no one ever publicized they were on the juice so my assumption (that scary word) was the same - lift heavy, get big like a man (and all the fat in your natural boobs is history). I would have been one of those tiring twits who would tell my trainer "I don't want to get big, I just want to tone", and I was heavy into the "muscle weighs more than fat so you shouldn't strength train until you lost weight" school of thought :rofl: Ignorance is bliss.

yoyonomoreinvegas
09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
OK, well, maybe ignorance is just ignorance :D