100 lb. Club - *Official Biggest Loser*

View Full Version : *Official Biggest Loser*

Smiling_Sara
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey all, The Biggest Loser family returns tonight!! I always find this show to big a big motovaiter. I thought I'd start a thread for us all to talk about the show. Anyone else gonna be watching?

mamaspank
09-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I am going to Tivo it!

Glory87
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I love the show, but HATE all the commercials! Definitely a show to Tivo/Record.

Too bad we are all watching our weight, this would be a GREAT show for a drinking game - Jillian making someone cry, obvious product placement, etc.

Smiling_Sara
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm not a fan of the commercials either, I either tivo it, and watch later, or read during the commercials.

GirlyGirlSebas
09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
If you'd like to have a lot of interaction during and between shows, give this thread a try.

Warning: This is a spoiler thread! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151634

I'm another person that DVR's and watches afterward.

cher37
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Biggest Loser starts next Tuesday (for those of us up north!)

...are you talking about the webcast?...

Glory87
09-16-2008, 08:44 PM
The US premiere is tonight!

junebug41
09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Is it bad that we're 5 minutes in and I'm CRYING?!?

cher37
09-16-2008, 09:06 PM
ok ok ok .... I just corrected my hubby! It's definitely on, we missed the 1st hr already (watching the House premiere) .... :rolleyes: .. gotta go now & watch it!

Iwanawurkit
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I was crying through out!! I can't believe they show someone throwing up! Good thing I had already eaten ..... yuck!

saintxio
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I just finished watching the first episode! OMG.. the numbers this round is insane compared to previous years!

KateRN
09-17-2008, 12:47 AM
i missed it!! i even had it in my calendar to remind me that it was tonight and i still missed it!!! gahhh!!

Glory87
09-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Since it's an NBC show, you might be able to stream it on Hulu tomorrow!

http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=biggest+loser

Sandi
09-17-2008, 06:31 AM
I think this was the best premier yet. Some of the stuff hey showed with the doctor was simply shocking!!

HeatherMcG
09-17-2008, 07:51 AM
I can't believe the father who lost 17 lbs. and all Jillian could do is let him exercise 1/2 an hour. Simply amazing... I mean I realize that they cut calories too, but still...

avi0903
09-17-2008, 09:34 AM
I watched it! I love that show. I also Tivo it. Besides the commercials, I don't like how at the end of a segment they preview the next segment. Then after the commercials, they picked up from the same spot before the commercials, so you're watching the same thing over again and then they continue on with what they had previewed. So basically you are spending 5 minutes watching the same thing over again.

I also wonder if Biggest Loser sets up unrealistic expectations. I always think I can lose 15 pounds in a week, because they do on TV. I know I'm not exercising 10 hours a day, but still, seeing those numbers make me think I should be able to do that also.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

Trazey34
09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
I'll be watching for sure! I do find it movitating ~ and now I watch it WITHOUT a bag of chips and some Coke! lol

Glory87
09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I was completely horrified by the lack of decent support bras for the ladies. The scene where Coleen (the yellow girl who looks like Reese Witherspoon) was doing jumping jacks was hugely painful to watch.

I understand that the contestants might not know what kind of support bras they'll need to work out, but you think the trainers or the producers would HELP. Maybe they figure bouncing boobs makes for good TV? I thought it looked TERRIBLE and painful and I felt so badly for her. Booo Biggest Loser!

Spend a little less time pushing the Body Bugg (booo product placement) and a little more time talking about proper workout equipment - including good shoes and good bras.

Also, again, I wish they talked more about food. Few overweight people can devote 10 hours a day to exercise, but everyone has the ability to make better food decisions.

avi0903
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree Glory!!! I also felt badly for her, looking all bouncy and jiggly. They should have given the girls better bras.

Star2Be
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
^I noticed that too! There was a definite excess of bouncing boobs on that show, hehe. And the Body Bugg thing was very annoying. I've never watched the show before (I decided to take it up this season, to go along with my own weight loss, hehe), so I dunno if it's been like that every season, but it was very annoying to me! And I was also very surprised that they didn't show anything about the foods the contestants are eating. Surely they put them on some kind of diet, and it seems strange only to show the fitness aspect of their weight loss. Maybe NBC figures the bouncing boobs and people collapsing makes for better TV. :rolleyes:

I was so inspired by Coleen and Jerry, though. They're the only father/daughter team, and a lot of the things she was saying hit pretty close to home for me... My father is really overweight as well, and I worry about his health all the time--things she said about wanting him to make it to her wedding, etc, felt so personal. And my dad is older than Jerry! I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a few times during the show. I think they are my favorite team so far.

Who are everyone else's favorite teams?

Glory87
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I do love the Biggest Loser, but you hit on the main things that bug me:

* Obtrusive product placement - it's laughingly eye-rollingly obvious
* Rarely talk about food, I think last season was the best at talking about food
* Really annoying commercials that repeat what happened before the break, after the break

Tai
09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I watched last night for the first time ever and enjoyed it for the most part. I too wish they had focused a bit more on the nutritional aspect. Way too many commercials though; wish I had TIVO!

Kelleigh
09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Coleen (the yellow girl who looks like Reese Witherspoon)

I'm so glad you think that too! The more I watched her and listened to her and just stared at her...gosh, she reminds me so much of Reese. I'll bet the resemblence will be even better as she loses weight.

from220to112
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
:( I'm in the UK so can't see it. Are there any sites (which are available outside the US) that I could watch it on?

Smiling_Sara
09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I can't believe some of these weight losses!!!! It takes me months to lose 17 lbs sometimes.

Maggie Beth
09-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I usually don't watch the show, but last season I really got hooked on it. I loved last nights show. I am so proud of all of the teams because no one gave up. I think that is the biggest hurdle for some of us. It is so easy for us all to use the theory that we will start tomorrow, but just like the quote last night "Today is your tomorrow, so keep going." Also I thought that the team that got eliminated looked AWESOME!!! This show is proof that exercise along with eating healthy is the key to success!

Smiling_Sara
09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
On again tonight. I repeat, this show is such an inspiration. I seriously teared up when Jillian was talking with the blond girl.....it reminded me of myself a little.

Star2Be
09-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Tonights episode was so good! I was glad that they actually did show them learning about cooking and eating right (though the blatant product placement for Jennie-O's was a little obnoxious LOL). I felt so bad for the girls who only lost a couple pounds... Of course we know that that's an average/good amount to lose in one week, but when you're up against women who lost 7 lbs in the same week, that's gotta be tough! :( And **SPOILERS** it was so sad to see Tom and L.T. go! They seemed like such a solid team, and genuinely nice guys. And I could not believe that Heba and Ed voted for them! I thought that was very low... Even if they thought Colleen and Jerry deserved to stay, they could at least show some appreciation for the fact that Tom and L.T. saved them the week before! I mean jeez. I wonder what made them change their minds. Between the two teams, though, I was really really glad that Colleen and Jerry got to stay. As I mentioned last week, those two really hit close to home for me since they're the only father-daughter team and Colleen has said a lot of things that remind me of my father (who is also very overweight). From the looks of the preview they showed, next week's episode should be a huuuge tearjerker for me! Heh.

Oh dear, I get addicted to reality TV way too easily... :dizzy: Hehe.

Trazey34
09-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Another fun episode!

#1 WOW i would NOT want to wear a sports bra for the challenges - ugh the mid-sections bulging out was not necessary LOL

#2 I do wish they'd spend more time on FOOD - ie. Chef Rocco's recipes were pretty good sounding, and i'm sure they're on the website, but some cooking ideas & tips would be helpful

#3 I'm convinced now that before their initial weigh-in they WATER LOAD like crazy to get those HUGE 15++ pound drops the first week, only explanation! The #s for this week are at least more realistic

junebug41
09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm glad the yellow team stuck around. I dunno, it just seemed more dire for them to be there and for the father to be heavily supervised. I really liked the gray team, though and am glad they were able to be so successful upon their return home! And the younger one's muscles! I can't believe how much he was able to not only lose, but tone up in a matter of a few months. Incredible!

Star2Be
09-24-2008, 10:58 AM
#1 WOW i would NOT want to wear a sports bra for the challenges - ugh the mid-sections bulging out was not necessary LOL
Yes that bothered me too! I was watching with my mom and I kept thinking, I weigh as much or more than a lot of the women on the show, but my stomach doesn't bulge out like that... LOL I'm not being self-delusional here, it certainly does bulge, but it's not nearly as bad. Those workout clothes, combined with terrible posture, makes the women's bodies look awful! If they were shown wearing proper clothing, and actually standing up straight, I'm sure it wouldn't be half as bad. I guess the producers just want to make sure the viewers can see how fat the contestants are... :rolleyes:

aliciag57
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
:( I'm in the UK so can't see it. Are there any sites (which are available outside the US) that I could watch it on?

If you go to the NBC site, you can watch the show on the website.

aliciag57
09-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I am hooked on the "Biggest Loser." I started watching it last week, again. I had caught a couple of shows here and there, but I am inspired by the folks on this show. I could never go on national television and try to lose weight. Besides that, I would probably kill Jillian or Jill or whatever her name is and then I would get kicked off the show and thrown in jail. I am kidding of course.

Like many of you have commented, I cannot see how some people on the show lose so much weight in one week, but if we notice, it is the first week that they are on the show. Then the next week, they lose a few pounds. Most of that weight has to be water.

I love the yellow team. The daughter is unbelievable. I love the things she said about her father. It made me miss mine. Then what she said to Jill while she was trying to stop exercising. I connected with that.:hug::hug: I have to watch the show until the end. She has inspired me. I am glad that they got to stay although I thought the gray team is very nice. At least they have been able eating healthy and exercising.

The program people have to buy the women some sturdy sports bras. There is not doubt about it. All of that jiggling has got to hurt!
The weigh-in would have me so self-conscious. Not only would I be showing off my rolls, but I have terrible skin, so that is all I would need is to have a huge zit on my back or my gut on the day of the weigh-in.:eek::lol:

The commercials stink...I would rather see Chef Rocco fix an easy meal or give more shopping recommendations.

aliciag57
09-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Yes that bothered me too! I was watching with my mom and I kept thinking, I weigh as much or more than a lot of the women on the show, but my stomach doesn't bulge out like that... LOL I'm not being self-delusional here, it certainly does bulge, but it's not nearly as bad. Those workout clothes, combined with terrible posture, makes the women's bodies look awful! If they were shown wearing proper clothing, and actually standing up straight, I'm sure it wouldn't be half as bad. I guess the producers just want to make sure the viewers can see how fat the contestants are... :rolleyes:

I agree. They could at least have folks wearing some kind of gown while they weight. I would hate to have to stand there on national television with those workout clothes. .The women need sturdier bras. I cannot believe that they don't provide something like that for them.

HeatherMcG
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
All I can say is that the Jennie-O=Really obvious. Yuck.

The commercials are getting annoying. I really like the yellow girl. She is really driven.

Did you know Allison is pregnant? I read that she is being trained by Bob during this pregnancy.

shea5
09-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Chiming in late, but I love the biggest loser. I tivo as well, so just spoiled my watching this weekend, but it's still worth it :lol: I think they water load too in the beginning, and although the product placement is annoying, it's easy to see it for what it is, and they pay the bills, so don't mind. I tivo through the previews and the recap :lol:

Tetra
09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't like how at the end of a segment they preview the next segment. Then after the commercials, they picked up from the same spot before the commercials, so you're watching the same thing over again and then they continue on with what they had previewed. So basically you are spending 5 minutes watching the same thing over again.

This is so incredibly painful for me. I wish the show's producers would have some respect for the audience. We may be fat but we are not stupid!

LandonsBaby
09-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Another fun episode!

#3 I'm convinced now that before their initial weigh-in they WATER LOAD like crazy to get those HUGE 15++ pound drops the first week, only explanation! The #s for this week are at least more realistic

Some past contestants have admitted they all absolutely do that. They have also admitted that their week is NOT 7 days, its 10-14 days. This is one of my biggest problems with the show. It makes already unrealstic weight loss look even more unrealistic the public who is watching. Then people think either they should be doing that too then feel bad about themseves..or they actually try to do it and damage their health. I wasn't even going to watch this season but hubby wants to watch.

LandonsBaby
09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I hate the stupid bras and I hate that they wear them to weigh-in. I'm sorry but wearing your bra in public view is never modest and they shouldn't be made to do that. As if the weigh in's are humiliating enough, they all have to do them shirtless? Ugh. I don't like that at all.

Altari
09-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Some past contestants have admitted they all absolutely do that. They have also admitted that their week is NOT 7 days, its 10-14 days. This is one of my biggest problems with the show. It makes already unrealstic weight loss look even more unrealistic the public who is watching. Then people think either they should be doing that too then feel bad about themseves..or they actually try to do it and damage their health. I wasn't even going to watch this season but hubby wants to watch.
It isn't always 10-14 days. The producers and contestants have said that, while some weeks run longer, the season "averages" to a weigh in every 7 days. One weigh in may be after 10 days, so another will be after 4, and so forth.

The downside to THAT without an on-show disclaimer is that people get all "OMG she only lost 1 pound!" when 3 days before she'd lost 3 for 10 days. They both average out to a pound every 3 days, but the way it's presented is less than honest.

I was a little miffed at this week's episode. The whole Jillian/yellow-team-girl interaction in the gym had me annoyed. And then the blatant scripting for the zip and steam bags. Couldn't they leave the commercials to the crew members and not the contestants?

aliciag57
09-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I hate the stupid bras and I hate that they wear them to weigh-in. I'm sorry but wearing your bra in public view is never modest and they shouldn't be made to do that. As if the weigh in's are humiliating enough, they all have to do them shirtless? Ugh. I don't like that at all.

The producers could have contestants wear a light robe. It's not so much about modesty, but I think that most of those contestants must feel so self-conscious standing there in a bra and the men being shirtless.

Star2Be
09-27-2008, 11:33 AM
WOW, I had no idea that they don't really do weigh-ins every 7 days! I've never been into the show before so I guess I don't know much about it. That is very shocking! I mean I'm sure I'll keep watching it, but it's always good to know exactly how real your "reality" TV is... I know that most reality shows are full of BS but that is extremely misleading for them to make it look like people truly lost that much weight in a week when it could have been 2 weeks! Thanks for the info, LandonsBaby and Altari!

Smiling_Sara
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
what a tearjerker last night!

aliciag57
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I was so sorry to see the yellow team dad go home. Poor thing! It was great to find out that he did not have a blood clot. Also, that he kept up with his plan and lost weight. I love his daughter. She is an amazing woman.

OK...here goes a rant. What didn't the contestants exercise very much? They were in a very beautiful place. Maybe it's unfair that I am asking this, because I don't know what is going on in their minds but their motivation for losing weight diminished. The couple who won the first challenge and got to stay in the RV should have been working out a lot. They had a great place in which to crash out after some workouts.:?::?::?:

KateRN
10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
i love that they were so realistic with their weight loss across the board this time!!! they went a while without trainers, went to the gym a couple times and on some walks, didnt eat *great* but certainly not hardcore like they would at the ranch and they all lost weight, but they lost how much i would have lost.

i *love* the yellow girl, i think she is going to be great!! i'm not a big fan of the orange team's husband. i think he has a bad attitude!!

aliciag57
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
i love that they were so realistic with their weight loss across the board this time!!! they went a while without trainers, went to the gym a couple times and on some walks, didnt eat *great* but certainly not hardcore like they would at the ranch and they all lost weight, but they lost how much i would have lost.

i *love* the yellow girl, i think she is going to be great!! i'm not a big fan of the orange team's husband. i think he has a bad attitude!!

I agree with you on the realistic weight loss. Their losses were normal.
The orange team hubby bugs me, too. I am rooting for the yellow girl. I felt so bad for her dad. I think he gained weight because of the edema in his legs.

Gela
10-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Alicia you read my mind. The dad had severe pitting edema in his legs. I am positive that's what the gain was from.

acrimony
10-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I love the show, but HATE all the commercials! Definitely a show to Tivo/Record.

Too bad we are all watching our weight, this would be a GREAT show for a drinking game - Jillian making someone cry, obvious product placement, etc.
OMG - Glory, you noticed those things too? My husband thinks I'm nuts cuz I point out the obvious marketing strategies and the "set ups" with Jillian.

But I love the show and I DVR'd Tuesday but haven't watched it yet so I won't be looking around the last few pages of this thread. I don't want to spoil it.

Last season was the first full season that I watched. I just didn't feel attached to the other people in previous years. Hopefully this year we'll get that "character development" and get to know all the players.

Altari
10-02-2008, 03:31 PM
AHHH I haven't seen it yet! PLEASE post a spoiler warning in your post if you're revealing juicy tidbits from the show.

Keillynsmom
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Quick question -- the yellow team woman talked about the last chance workouts, that she couldn't even explain what the process, the experience was like. So I'm curious -- what is it like? How long does it last? Do they just go from treadmill to those full body workouts back to treadmill or bike?

Thanks,

Barb

aliciag57
10-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I am assuming that the last chance workouts are the ones that take place right up until the contestants weigh-in. This last show, they had to work out all day because they had not worked out very much at the Grand Canyon.

Altari
10-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Quick question -- the yellow team woman talked about the last chance workouts, that she couldn't even explain what the process, the experience was like. So I'm curious -- what is it like? How long does it last? Do they just go from treadmill to those full body workouts back to treadmill or bike?

Thanks,

Barb
It was explained a few seasons ago, but I'm sure it varies. I remember at the point it was explained, they basically ate breakfast at 7, hit the gym, are lunch at noon, hit the gym. So about 8-10 hours of working out, then a weigh in. Doesn't sound like fun.

chick_in_the_hat
10-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I've always kind of wondered how much weight training they actually do in a Last Chance workout. Logic would dictate that they do very little resistance training as it makes the body retain water to repair the muscles worked. To see the biggest loss on the scale they should be doing monster cardio to sweat out all the water weight.

Also - all of jillian's workouts I've done are split out by front day and back day, with a rest day in between. She always recommends giving the muscles worked 2 days off after to recover. The show makes it look like they do tons of weight training - but if it's more like Jillian's workouts in her books...it's a lot more cardio to burn tons of calories.

Just thinking out loud. :D

KateRN
10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
i'm in such suspense from yesterday!!!

Lori Bell
10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Was it on Tuesday? I didn't see it, I thought the presidential debate postponed it? The last episode I saw was when the yellow team Dad went home. I must be weird, cuz I really wished it would have been the yellow daughter who left. I don't like her, she seems like a phony to me! She says one thing, (all gooey and sweet), but her dirty looks can kill!

KateRN
10-09-2008, 02:17 PM
out here it was on after the debates - but only the 1st hour of it and the 2nd hour was supposed to air last night but i wasnt able to watch it.