20-Somethings - Shorties thread?

View Full Version : Shorties thread?

kamesennin
09-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Is there a short people thread around here somewhere? I'm 4'11" and have 30 lbs to go--

Quiet Ballerina
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Not sure...but I'm a shortie too. Only 5' 1" :)

bargoo
09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I think there is, but I am not sure what it is called.

AmberShimmer
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I think I saw a shorties thread in the "Chicks up for a Challenge" sub forum. But that was many months ago.

Hey, I was wondering about something. If you're short in height (like up to 5'4, I think) but you wear a size 24... are you considered petite or plus?

mandos
09-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I haven't seen a shorty thread out there yet, though this is only my third day on the site. I wonder if we could start our own? I'm 5'3"...am I too tall to join? :)

Hey, I was wondering about something. If you're short in height (like up to 5'4, I think) but you wear a size 24... are you considered petite or plus?

From my experience, I haven't seen anything in the petite section of stores more than 16, and even 14 or 12 is really difficult to find. All the "curvy" style jeans for petites seem to be size 6 and under too. Sigh...

In my personal opinion though, I consider you a lovely petite like the rest of us!

saintxio
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
5'1 over here!

CatRocks
09-17-2008, 07:52 AM
5'1 also! I like being short :)

kamesennin
09-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I like being short too! :carrot:I didn't like it when I was younger. I do hate how 5 extra pounds looks like 30 on me, though. I can't wait to shop in the petite section again--all the shirts are way too short on me because of the boobage.

ghost
09-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Shorty! I'm barly 5 feet, if I shrink as I age I'm going to be a midget. Sometimes, in the spring especially, when I was in the 200's I'd buy women's plus sized capri's and they'd fit me like normal pants and not drag on the ground. I guess pretty soon I'll be able to buy petites.

kamesennin
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
For those of you who have full grown kids, did they grow up to be tall/med/short? I'm a few inches shorter than both my parents. My husband is 5'10" and I sometimes wonder how tall my girls will end up.

Transformer08
09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm short -- 5'2" and I *don't* like it!

1. I hate having to buy petite pants (severely limits my options) or else hem them up. Actually, sometimes I even have to hem PETITE pants -- what's with that??????
2. I hate that even little amounts of weight are VERY obvious on my small frame.
3. I also think being short contributes to my looking "young" which doesn't help me get immediate respect from strangers at work. :)

Wow, I sound kinda vehement, huh? I didn't mean that too. I"m just having a crap day. Mostly I'm fine with being short but if I could be like 5'4 or 5'5" I just feel like it would be a lot better!!

mandos
09-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I definitely understand, Transformer08. My friend pick on me a lot (good naturedly but it does get on my nerves). My least favorite thing is having to ask strangers to help me reach items on the top 2 shelves at the grocery store!

On the bright side, I fit in a lot more places than everyone else (I OWN the backseat of cars!) and I never have to duck going through the doorway! Plus, at least for me, I have a wider selection of shoes since I can fit into the kid's sizes too!

kellyfoo
09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm short. 4'10". And I have about 10-15 to go. And I can't tell if I've lost any since I came to school because 1. there's no scales ANYWHERE on campus and 2. I have an extra load of water weight from Aunt Flo. Icky.

smallification
09-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I definitely understand, Transformer08. My friend pick on me a lot (good naturedly but it does get on my nerves). My least favorite thing is having to ask strangers to help me reach items on the top 2 shelves at the grocery store!

On the bright side, I fit in a lot more places than everyone else (I OWN the backseat of cars!) and I never have to duck going through the doorway! Plus, at least for me, I have a wider selection of shoes since I can fit into the kid's sizes too!
Oh man, I thought I was the only one with the grocery store problem.

At home I have perfected the hobbit technique for getting the cereal box off the top shelf. Jump, hit it, catch it when it falls.

Quiet Ballerina
09-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Bad things about being short:
~Having to hem all your pants
~Capris never seem to look right
~Can't reach high shelves without a stepstool
~Not very sexy as you climb down from a barstool
~5 pounds looks like so much more. :(
~Last to know when it's raining (haha)

Good things about being short:
~Can always wear heels!
~Flirting technique: "oh excuse me cute-guy-i-want-to-talk-to, can you reach that item for me on the high shelf?" *wink*
~Never have to duck going through doors
~Can sleep comfortably on a couch, without your feet hanging off!

Add your own! :)

foxmonster68
09-22-2008, 01:32 AM
I am 5'1'' and don't mind it. I do have the same problem with finding pants that are short enough. Last week I had to buy my largest size yet. size 18 short! they are way too long. I can't wait to get into smaller clothes that actually fit my frame!

ZetaMD2Be
09-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a shortie too .. barely 5 ft. I just joined this site and my long term goal is to lose 60lbs. My short term goal is to lose 25lbs by Christmas. I think I'm up to the challenge!

Transformer08
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh man, I thought I was the only one with the grocery store problem.

At home I have perfected the hobbit technique for getting the cereal box off the top shelf. Jump, hit it, catch it when it falls.

Heehee! This makes me laugh because I do it, too. I'm too shy to ask strangers for help getting stuff off high shelves at the grocery store, so I tend to either "jump and knock" or else climb onto the bottom shelf and start scaling. :) I almost always get it. ...And sometimes I look so silly that nice tall men come over and offer to help. :cool:

caligirl98
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=mandos;2366906]I definitely understand, Transformer08. My friend pick on me a lot (good naturedly but it does get on my nerves). My least favorite thing is having to ask strangers to help me reach items on the top 2 shelves at the grocery store!QUOTE]

OMG!!! I have the grocery store problem too...I stand at just over 4'11 but not 5'0. I walk down the isle and just stare at what I want and then when someone does come along, it's always and elderly person who helps by knocking it down with their cane. Or I hate when I could reach it if the product were pushed to the front...when they are all the way at the back of the shelf, I just keep going...sometimes I have to go to another grocery store.

kamesennin
09-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Hmmm so what other things can short people talk about? How about the new car seat laws? In WA if you are under 4'9" you have to be in a booster. LOL I know that applies to kids but I'm only 2 inches taller than 4'9". I used to drive a '61 impala in high school and that thing was a tank. I sat on a phone book and had a cushion behind my back. I got poked fun at but it was a good way to make guy friends. Can't resist a shortie with a cool car!

smallification
09-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Hmmm so what other things can short people talk about? How about the new car seat laws? In WA if you are under 4'9" you have to be in a booster. LOL I know that applies to kids but I'm only 2 inches taller than 4'9". I used to drive a '61 impala in high school and that thing was a tank. I sat on a phone book and had a cushion behind my back. I got poked fun at but it was a good way to make guy friends. Can't resist a shortie with a cool car!
I have also heard that if you're under 5'0", wearing the chest strap of the seatbelt is unsafe. Makes sense to me, since mine sometimes slides up to my neck. I am not sure a cop would like that excuse though. :)

caligirl98
09-23-2008, 12:23 PM
I have also heard that if you're under 5'0", wearing the chest strap of the seatbelt is unsafe. Makes sense to me, since mine sometimes slides up to my neck. I am not sure a cop would like that excuse though. :)

UGH! that chest strap...most new cars come with it adjustable now days, but my car is 17 years old...it moves up and down but it doesn't stay. Drives me insane. And when my friend used to drive her '86 Honda, that strap didn't move at all. When she would slam on her breaks...which was often, I would end up with rope burn on my neck.

I still have issues at the movies...I can't sit behind grown people because their head is always blocking the bottom of the screen.

Munchy
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
"I stand at just over 4'11 but not 5'0."

DITTO, and I love it.

Positives about being short:

What I recall before (pre-preg when I was working out a lot) was that the children's sizes were so much cheaper and fit better (length).

I am very curvy, but I still wear tiny sizes because I'm so short. So, although I sound skinny wearing a size 2, it's not that small for me.

LandonsBaby
09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I am 4'9" and I don't mind at all. I don't wear heels at all because 1. I only wear a size one shoe and 2. They would hurt.

I have the grocery store issue too. I use the jump and knock, scale the shelves and the "please help me" methods as well.

Driving is an irritation but I manage. I would like to have pedal extenders but in reality, it woudln't help because my arms wouldn't reach the steering wheel. I wanted my air bag turned off but the information I found said if you can get 10 inches away you will be alright. I force myself to get that far back. The chest strap drives me insane!!!

I don't have any children yet so I have no idea how tall they will be. My form of dwarfism (russell silver syndrome) isn't genetic so it shouldn't be an issue. Wouldn't be an issue even if it gentic, I don't find it to be that much of a problem, least not now that I am an adult. My husband is 6'5". Who knows what we'll get. :D

smallification
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
My husband is 6'5". Who knows what we'll get. :D
Oh man, do you get hassled about that? I had a boyfriend who was 6'6" and strangers used to ask us if we were really dating.

LandonsBaby
09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh man, do you get hassled about that? I had a boyfriend who was 6'6" and strangers used to ask us if we were really dating.

People stare but that's all. Everyone thinks its adorable. I do get some pevertd comments every once in a while.

caligirl98
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
People stare but that's all. Everyone thinks its adorable. I do get some pevertd comments every once in a while.

ah yeah, perverted comments...I had those...I like tall guys and it's always something along the lines of me being just the right height to do a :censored: standing up. Soooooo annoying.

LandonsBaby
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
ah yeah, perverted comments...I had those...I like tall guys and it's always something along the lines of me being just the right height to do a :censored: standing up. Soooooo annoying.

Yes. That would be the one.

Quiet Ballerina
09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
For seatbelts, I know when we were kids my dad had something...a cover of some sort, that you slipped onto the seatbelt and it made the seatbelt move some so it didn't dig into our necks...I forget what it's called though....it was triangular, grey...

I did some searching, and this is what I found:
http://www.mypreciouskid.com/seat-belt-adjuster.html
http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/seat-belt-adjuster/

It's not what we used to have....but seems like it works the same.

Quiet Ballerina
09-24-2008, 12:57 AM
ooo might have found it!
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2328535

that's very very similar to what we used to have.

LandonsBaby
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
My aunt has something that holds the seatbelt back but I've never seen on at the store. My husbands truck has adjustable straps which I really like. I can pull my side down lower so it fits the same as if I were normal height.

kamesennin
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
My aunt has something that holds the seatbelt back but I've never seen on at the store. My husbands truck has adjustable straps which I really like. I can pull my side down lower so it fits the same as if I were normal height.

Ok LandonsBaby you gotta spill on how you lost 16.5 inches. I'm always looking for new tips. :listen:

shantroy
09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
I thought I'd join the thread too! I'm just shy of 5'2". It's funny, though most people don't believe that I'm that short (even if I take off my heels) I've been told I carry myself like a tall person...whatever that means LOL.

I have the same problem with seatbelts too. The worst though is trying to get into my bf's truck I swear the rail/step thingy is above my knees! The other thing I that drives me nuts is bar stools, I my feet don't reach the foot rest on them, so my feet always fall asleep.

When I was skinnier I always used to buy kids pants, so much cheaper and I do love my 4 inch heels, I can wear them everywhere especially since my bf is 6'2".

LandonsBaby
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Ok LandonsBaby you gotta spill on how you lost 16.5 inches. I'm always looking for new tips. :listen:

Pretty much just counted calories. Six of those were my waist. I've slowed WAY WAY WAY down since then, unfortunately. I've been at the same place for a long time now (because of my own bad habits and health issues). But yeah, I counted calories, didn't go too low, wasn't afraid to eat fat and for a while I was doing weight training pretty consistently. I think that did help too.

LandonsBaby
09-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I have the same problem with seatbelts too. The worst though is trying to get into my bf's truck I swear the rail/step thingy is above my knees!

Does he have an extra step thing for you? When my husband bought his truck right before we got married, he bought an extra step for me so I could get in the truck. It's still not easy, I always have to lift myself using my arms but there is NO way I could get in without that railing!

When I was skinnier I always used to buy kids pants, so much cheaper and I do love my 4 inch heels, I can wear them everywhere especially since my bf is 6'2".

My shoe size is 1 in kids so heels aren't really much of an option. As much as I think they are pretty, I probably wouldn't wear them anyway. I'm obessed with comfort. :D

Wolf Goddess
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm 5'3" - which is too short for average size and a bit above most petites. *grumble*

Thankfully I've found that wearing girl's large to be about perfect for my height, assuming I can find something that isn't pink.

kamesennin
09-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Pretty much just counted calories. Six of those were my waist. I've slowed WAY WAY WAY down since then, unfortunately. I've been at the same place for a long time now (because of my own bad habits and health issues). But yeah, I counted calories, didn't go too low, wasn't afraid to eat fat and for a while I was doing weight training pretty consistently. I think that did help too.

Wow, 6 inches from your waist! That is fantastic. I'm counting calories too but I have slacked off this past week.

kamesennin
09-27-2008, 04:26 AM
Hey guys, I fit into the size 8 pants at Old Navy today!!!! :carrot:

I was so excited. I didn't buy them because I want to get a whole bunch of size 6 clothes once I lose another 15 pounds or so. I started at size 12/14 so this is pretty good for me.

(I also didn't buy them because they are too long and I can't deal with hemming stuff right now, LOL)