Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #1  

Smile Smart for Life ... the Cookie Diet??

Hello all!

I am brand new to 3FC ... it is so inspirational to read about everyone elses struggles and successes!

I have just started (yesterday) the Smart for Life plan ... or the cookie diet. Has any one else out there tried it? What was your experience like?

For those of you who are unaware of what it is ... basically you eat 6 pre-packaged cookies a day (we aren't talking mrs. fields or anything ... but they're okay) and eat a dinner of lean protein and veggies.

I've tried A LOT of diets ... im thinking i need more structure then most people i know.
jd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #2  

Can you eat those cookies for the rest of your life? Weight loss is a time we learn what foods to eat and avoid, and skills to keep the weight off. Really, Diets Don't Work - lifestyle changes do. Let us know how you are getting along with this.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't think this diet is very healthy or one that you can live with for the rest of your life.

If you need a very structured diet, then looking into something like Atkins (the REAL Atkins, not random versions of it) or South Beach, or even a planned meal delivery program would be much healthier and sustainable long term.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

JD74!

I think that it's great to keep trying new things to find one that fits your lifestyle. But, my concern is that The Cookie Diet is just that... a diet. I know, I know. The site is called "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet" but the irony is that almost no one who stays on the forums is on a 'diet' per-say. Most of us are making permanent changes. Yes, some of us use programs... but programs that we are well aware we will be using for the long-haul, and not just quitting once we get down to goal.

Can you see yourself following this program for months? Years?

If you truly see this as fitting your life & your style then I wish you all the best of success! You'll be able to find many healthy dinner recipes around the boards.

If you think that perhaps it's not going to be good for more than a couple of weeks, then take some time to look under Diet Central to find out how others on the boards are losing the weight for good.

Either way, please take the time to find comfortable places around the boards to start posting & letting us know about your progress!!!

Last edited by Lovely; 09-16-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #5  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I actually started with the cookie diet. It served the purpose that I used it for...It gave me the structure and the quick weight loss that I needed to get myself motivated to go further. I did it for 4 weeks and lost 16 lbs.. I wouldn't recommend it for long term so it is good to have a plan for when it ends...because you WILL have a gain or plateau when you move on. So prepare for that.

I transitioned to Medifast. It has the same strict structure but with a few more options and better nutrition. This is another diet that I can not live on...so again it is a step in my plan to reprogram my eating. I will transition to Jenny Craig...then Weight watchers. I plan to live on weight watchers. so that is my last step.

You have to find the way that works for you...But don't compromise your health in the process. Research the pro's and cons of each plan and make sure you have a plan to deal with both. There is more than one way to the end.

Good Luck!

D
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

The program does offer medical support which I think is great. And it targets behavioral problems which is fantastic. While it is expensive I understand your need for something structured... and sometimes committing your wallet is even more motivation to continue with the diet. After all you don't want to waste your money.

Those cookies are really nutritional bars in disguise, so you can always switch to protein bars later on.

I do think the diet is a bit gimmicky with the trade mark food, but as you learn more about proper nutrition and learn to read labels you'll find less expensive substitutes. Also another bonus of the diet is that the food you eat stabilizes your blood sugar which is very important for fat loss.

Congratulations on starting your weight loss journey. Keep me posted!
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #7  

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree this is not a lifestyle change ... but a way to jump start and get motivated about eating healthy. I have lost weight in the past ... 60 lbs ... through exercise and diet, but have gained 50 lbs. back in 5 years. Depressing.

Djay - its refreshing to hear that this helped you get started .. and yes, i can only imagine it will be hard to maintain at first, but ideally the results will remind me of what its like to feel good about myself again.
jd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

WW has been a miracle for me. I have never been successful in my weight loss attempts before now. Now I have friends asking me what I have been doing, and three have asked me to send them info because of my success! I tell them I love it because I know I can eat like this forever because I am not really eating any special way except basically counting calories, getting in my vegis and fruit, and exercising every day. Really, that seems like all it is.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #9  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: 209/186/160

Height: 5'4"

The Cookie Diet? Wow, I can't believe I have not heard of that one

Last edited by TwoBThinAgain; 10-04-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: edit
TwoBThinAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #10  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Hey! I have the Hollywood cookie diet, which is the same thing, but a different company. I am not doing the diet strictly as they say, but instead using it when I need a quick fix so that I dont do something stupid. It does help with cravings and they are really just protein bars made to look like cookies. The ones by the Hollywood cookie diet are actually quite tasty. I have also started weight watchers, so I am doing that as well. Last week, I lose 3.2 lbs! Make sure that you are still getting enough water and veggies. This should help jump start your weightloss.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #11  

The thing with cookies, or anything where you're eating small amounts, is that I don't feel full. I'd much rather the cabbage soup diet- same amount of calories but filling! Otherwise I have way more cookies than the plan calls for, or eat other things too.
plaidkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #12  
Ria

S/C/G: 220

Height: 5'5

I just got my box of cookies and I will start tomorrow, wish me luck.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think that if you limit your calorie intake, with ANY plan, that the result is going to be weight loss. However, anyone can lose weight...but not everyone is successful at MAINTAINING that weight loss, which is the real kicker.

Also, I realize the cookies are basically food supplements-with vitamins and protein added to them, however, a supplemented food with vitamins added to it is not going to have the same qualities as a NATURAL food that contains the vitamins or minerals naturally. If you are only having veggies at dinner with your lean protein, you are limiting yourself and depriving your body of MANY wonderful things found in fruits and vegetables-phytochemicals, antixidants...all of the wonderful things that fight the signs of aging, prevent many diseases, etc.

Losing weight is only part of it...maintaining that weight loss afterwards, and having healthy diet and exercise habits for life are part of the equation as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #14  

I am new here and so thrilled to connect with so much knowledge and experience!! I did Dr. Siegel Cookie diet 20 years ago and relatively painlessly lost 208 lbs in 10 months. Here I am 20 years later with 150 of those lost pounds back. I started the cookie again 3 days ago. We'll see! I firmly believe that all "diets" work if one can stand them. Especially if weight loss, not health is the only focus.
Nanabanana710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabanana710 View Post
I am new here and so thrilled to connect with so much knowledge and experience!! I did Dr. Siegel Cookie diet 20 years ago and relatively painlessly lost 208 lbs in 10 months. Here I am 20 years later with 150 of those lost pounds back. I started the cookie again 3 days ago. We'll see! I firmly believe that all "diets" work if one can stand them. Especially if weight loss, not health is the only focus.

Well, I don't know about everyone else-but my goal is LIFELONG weight control, and improved health and fitness. I made a lifestyle change (more exercise, healthier eating) rather than going on a "diet". Diets have a beginning and an end...and when they end, you gain weight back. Permanent lifestyle changes are the key to lasting weight loss, and a healthier body.

I hear so many people on "diets" that complain about feeling deprived, feeling bad/tired, or falling off of the wagon and regaining weight...and the "diet" mentality is the main cause of this.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote