Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #1  

Default Caffeinated Coffee question and update on me

Hi everyone I hope everyone is doing well.I miss all of you.Lot's of things changes going on in my life.I am borrowing a computer right now because mine is not working.Also getting out of a unhealthy long term relationship,hoping to get a call from a apartment complex soon that I can afford.So lot's of changes.

I am still puzzled on what to do about coffee.I have been drinking a expresso small once a day 1/2 caffeine with alittle cream.I don't want to get a ulcer from it.

Can you guys share what your thoughts are on caffeine and what your doctor has told you. I know it will be differen't answers but I would love to hear them.I have checked with my dietician she says a few times a week ok but she said if you get a ulcer in the new tummy that's another surgery.and that you could have the ulcer and not be feeling the affects yet.It's like one of my joys in life still,Doing really well . I like the little kick I get from the caffeine

I had surgery jan 14th 2008,I am down 105 pounds since surgery,what a gift. beginning weight before surgery 342 now post op I am 172,it's so amazing.

Love ya all
take care
Kim e
seabreez2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

HI KIM!!!

I'm so glad to hear from you...and that everything is going so well. You look fabulous in your pic!

I can't answer much about coffee, I love it and have not had much problem with it. My NUT said the same thing 3-4 cups a week but I drink some everyday...naughty thing that I am.

Keep in touch, you're so inspiring!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #3  

Default hi

HI thanks so much.I love your picture too. I am going to put extra effort into posting more here.I love this site. Take care
Kim e
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 428 / 410 / 265

Height: 6'1"

The nurse who runs the clinic I had my surgery with (who had her bypass like 5 years ago and looks great) said that her only concern about caffeine is that it increases appetite and causes blood glucose to spike. There's nothing terribly physiologically dangerous from a WLS perspective, she said, but for weight loss in general those two things are counter-productive.
fnorgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I've been reducing my coffee intake b/c I had a baad reaction
Try green tea in a bigger mug like 16 oz I use 2 teabags and let it steep for 10 min
you'll get a kick alright!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I never stopped drinking coffee. Just no longer drink coffee drinks that to me are now like a treat or dessert. You know what I mean... If it says Latte or Cappucino in the title it is usally loaded with cream and sugar. I did try a low sugar nonfat decaf one once. It was like drinking water.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #7  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

u look great seabreeze
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #8  

Default caffeine

Hi everyone,thanks for all your kind words,and thoughts,I really appreciate it.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs to all))))))))))))))))))))))))

Kime
Old 10-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #9  
Round is a Shape !

S/C/G: 340/188/170

Height: 5 foot 3 inches

I gave up alot of things after WLS, but Coffee was NOT one of them. I have cut back but I still have my vise Ü

I drink a Starbucks about 3x's a week. I drink a Venti ( the big One) Quad ( =4 shots) Sugar Free Vanilla non -Fat Latte. YUMMIER!

~*~*~*~*~*~*
Susan AKA:SasMnky!
myspace.com/sasmnky
340/298/188/170
Before/atWLS/Current/Goal!
Working on getting those pounds Off again!
WLS 7/04 @298/ As Low as ... 150
Sasmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I drink 1 cup of coffee a day, in the am when I'm getting ready for work. I use sweet & low (or your fav 0 cal sweetner) and I use powdered non-dairy creamer (only 10 cal per teaspoon). I don't think the coffee itself is an issue, it's usually what you put in it, or what comes in it, like if it's a specialty coffee drink. I saw someone suggest green tea, that's just about the best caffenated drink you can get.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #11  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I make my coffee the splenda and low cal creamer BUT I am one to never take things as they are! I put in vanilla extract and SF carmel syrup over ice or blended for a low cal "speciality" coffee AND I have put 1/2 c lite chocolate soy milk...MOCHA!...though only now and then it does add cals!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-06-2008 at 12:36 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

i drink regular coffee with vanilla or light van soy milk and a hazelnut splenda
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Caffeine

Caffeine is a stimulate. Takes one hour to get into your blood stream. How it affects you is according to your body and build. It can increase your heart rate and increase your blood pressure; jittery and anxious. Can affect you for 6 to 8 hours. Caffeine is a drug and shouldn't be taken with some medications. Should only be taken in moderation. That is all I can think of off the top of my head. I know when my DH has one of his asthma related allergy attacks, I give him a cup of coffee to open up his lungs. Some say it increase the appetite and can make you retain water. Does it? I don't really know? If they tell you not to do it then don't. But, if you have to have it don't chug it down cup after cup. My DH isn't really suppose to have it because he has and irregular heart beat. He does mostly does decaf, unless breathing problem occurs.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #14  
carinna

Hi, and welcome back. As far as caffiene, I was able to switch from coffee (and all the cream and sugar that was killing my diet) to black tea. I still get caffiene, but not as much as coffee, and I don't have the calories of the cream and sugar.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote