Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #1  

Unhappy Help! I have to fly and I am scared sick

Hi all - need some advice - if you have any to offer. I started a new job a couple months ago and I just found out I have to go out of town to some training, which will require me to get on an airplane. I am not afraid of flying - I am afraid I will get on the plane and not fit in the seat!! I have to fly with my boss and my boss' boss and all I can envision is walking down the isle to my seat and not being able to fit in it. I only have 18 days until I go and I am sick about what to do. Does anyone know the dimensions of a standard airline seat? Maybe I can find an equal width chair, just to get an idea if I will fit. I have even thought of driving instead (it would be about an 8 hour trip) but that would look strange to my boss.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I flew about 8 years ago, and weighed about 8 lbs less than I do now, and I just fit then. And I remember going through this same panic then. You'd have thought it would have motivated me to do something about this weight, but unfortunately, it didn't

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
JanetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #2  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

You can always call the airlines and ask them, I'm sure they get that question all the time!
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

go to www.seatguru.com, if you know the type of the airplane you can see exactly what it looks like inside. seats are normally about 17" wide, in economy. I fly frequently to Jamaica on Air Canada, which is a good airline with good sized seats. I fit into those seats just fine, but the seatbelt is tight(I'm hoping when I go back in December I fit better). I've flew on Skyservice, worst airline ever. Not only were the seats tiny, there was absolutley no leg room. I've got long legs. But thats a Canadian airline, so you don't have to worry about it.
But check out seatguru.
P.s. You can ask the airline for a seatbelt extender, or if you are too shy, you can actually buy them from stores apparently.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

i flew to england when i weighed about 320lbs.. the smaller southwest airline seat fit me but was a bit cramped.. i did ask for a seatbelt extender when i got on.. the second flight from salt lake city to atlanta ga was on delta and was a bigger seat.. still needed extensions tho.. but i just ask the stewardess as i board... the third flight.. from atlanta to manchester england was on a huge plane.. bigger seat, but still needed extension.. no need to be embarrased.. just ask as you board.. less people hear ya that way lol..hope this helps
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #5  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I used to do what Jimaterry suggested, ask as I boarded. The flight attendant usually was unableto give it to me right then, but would make her way down the aisle shortly with it in her hand...usually discreet, but one inconsiderate b***h had it dangling for everyone to see. I know the feeling, Janet.

A few years ago, on my first trip to New York, I flew on Westjet (a Canadian airline) and asked for an extender as I boarded. The flight attendant was good and brought it to me discreetly, but upon sitting I was pleased to find that the seatbelt fit! I think you should check out the site Luvja suggested. That Westjet plane I was on was a Boeing-737...do you know what type of plane you will be on?
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 336/294/165

Height: 5.5

I flew to Scotland in 2006 with continental. I was 336 at the time and fit fine. I was definitly not the most comfortable for the 11 hr trip, but it was ok. I did ask for an extender. All, but one flight attendant were very discreet (theres always one ) )
You can do a lot in 18 days by the way. I don't know what eating plan you are on, but I find eating low carb melts off inches quickly. I have been doing it off and on as I need to fit into a bridemaids dress for my sisters wedding.
Good Luck to you!
Nicole
uhaveaprettyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

A quick Google search for this site http://www.extend-its.com/ that sells seatbelt extenders (although they are pricier than I thought they would be!)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote