Dieting with Obstacles - Fibromyalgia #177

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia #177

Happy Canuk
09-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Mima - I believe you have Candace spelled wrong. She spells is Candice. Hope that helps.

Meme - I do hope the pain has lessened some for you overnight. It is still surgery, so there will be pain. Rest and feel better.

Gotta get ready for work, so will see you later.

Joanne D
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Meme- Watch that pain med. They bind you up and then you have another problem.. Eat lots of fiber.. take things a day at a time .. Every day will get better..
Happy.. This time of the year is always watching for the storms.. We seldom get thing too bad.. No rain out of Ike..I am waiting for cool weather.. It has been in the 90's.
Mima.. You are lucky to have the cool weather. I get the feeling I am baking everytime I walk Christie.. I will lose all my tan once the cool weather gets here.
Tammy.. I think it is good you are going to grief counseling they can help in more ways than anything..How is Tim doing? I think of you often.. My hubby has been showing signs of age more lately.. I guess we all go through these times at some time in our life..
Hello Candice.. I would hate to move . Too much stuff to get rid of or move..
Have a Good Weekend Everybody..Joanne

Mima
09-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the new thread, Anne. You are right about my spelling of Candice.
Those poor people in TX and LA-what they will have to go through.
Had another episode with my stomache. I am really feeling stressed-waking up early. I so wish I didn't have to go to work.
Feel better Meme. Hi Joanne, Tammy, Candice. Mima

want2bskny
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi, I have fibro and thought I'd join in on this thread. My name is Linda, I am 42 and have in addition to the fibro; OA, DJD, GAD, social phobias and bipolar disorder. In other words I am a mess :(

I am a very slow loser and have lots of weight to lose. I am doing Weight Watchers. I try to eat on the low side of the GI and lots of fiber at least 35 grams a day.

Lately my pain level has been pretty high. I have constant pain in my neck and shoulder muscles. My arm and leg muscles have recently started hurting more. I do as much as I can every day but there are lots of days I wish I could just stay in bed. I babysit my 3 year old grand-daughter so that is out of the question. When I feel good, I always do too much. Then it can be several days before I recover. I need to learn to try not to do so much just because I am having a good day. I had to quit my job a year and a half ago and am trying to get on disability. I am also going through a divorce from my husband of 26 years. We have two grown children; Jessica 25 and Chris 22.

Any way, I am glad to have found this thread :)

Mima
09-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi Linda-we know what you are going through. Do you take any meds for fibro and do you see a rhemotologist.? The stress of a divorce doesn't help. That's when I had my worst fibro.
The best thing I do is massage , some walking and swim when I can. And heat packs and cold packs-and a chiropractor.
I am not sure if I can go to work tomorrow-have had 2 nights with ibs/diverticulosis. attacks.
We went to Angela's
for supper-had fun with the kids. But had to leave right after supper because of my stomache. What I need is acupuncture for that.
Love that last line, Linda. Mima
How are you doing Meme? Hi Tammy, Candice, Anne, Joanne.

Joanne D
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome Linda- Stay with WW it works if you work the program. I lost 74 lbs with WW.. I am probably the oldest of this group. I say I am just getting younger.. I too have OA.diabeties. and some heart dx. I try not to think of the pain and just keep going. That is really the only way for me..
Mima- You are not by yourself. I have been having intestinal problems and pain for the past 3 weeks.. I decided that I would not eat any soy products for a while and see if that will help.. Soy will cause gas problems.Very painful for me.Take care of yourself.. Don't worry about work..On top of everything else I guess I am going to have to get my knee injected again.. Sometimes I wish the Dr. would just ok a new knee.. In a way that would just give me another set of problems. Who would take care of Christie,Louie, the house ,Cooking, laundry, etc,etc.Ha.I guess I would get well faster!!
Tammy- How are you doing? It is hot here. We see on the weather station that it is getting cool up there. I am looking for cool weather..
Hello Happy, Candice..Joanne

MemeToo
09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I actually went to SS & church this morning ... then came home and collapsed. I got up at 6:30 and took one of the strong pain pills and went back to bed for an hour then got back up at 7:30 and did my hair, a little make-up and got dressed, resting in between. Ate some toast & took another pill and left. It's just a 5 min. drive. I got really tired before church was over. The pastor started a marriage class last Sunday and hubby & I enrolled. If not for that, I would have skipped SS. Also, he is doing 4 weeks on marriage in the worship service so I really didn't want to miss that, either. He is starting the Basics For Belief tonight, which we bought books for. If I don't go, I'll miss out on the first night. But it's storming out and I'm hurting pretty bad. I may just have to miss! My surgery site, etc. isn't what has been hurting so bad the last couple of days, it has been the muscles in my back. My daughter says it is probably from laying on it so much when I don't usually. She said it's the fibro ... I usually lay on my side all the time. It has hurt to the point of tears. Hubby has worked on it some ... I'm going to get her to come work on it one day this week. She has a massage chair so I won't have to lay on my stomach.

Candicej
09-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Welcome Linda...this is a great place to be for Fibro and weightloss but we all like to eat alot!

Mima..sent you an email hope you got it.... thanks for the message:)

Joanne, soy gives me terrible gas, but dairy and other stuff does too even if I take things for it....got any ideas?

Meme....hope you are feeling better so I take it the surgery went well? CAn't belive you went out so soon. I hurt terrible from the air they blow in you and couldn't lay down for weeks had to sit in the recliner.

Happy..you have the cutest name tags:)

Hi Tammy, hope counseling is helping..it will take time for healing.....

Off to get the dryer emptied..washing all my coats, they are musty from the other house (wet basement)...what a pain..then my clothes are next...didn't realize they had a smelluntill we moved! What do think people thought..LOL we never bathed! LOL:D

Candicej
09-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Happy thanks for the link....that was great reminising..we all are quite funny:D Now tell me how you find that all stuff..I can't seem to find anythinhg at the bottom of the page...you know me you have to talk me through it all when it comes to computers!

I can't stand this mess either..depresses me but with work going on I can't unpack all yet.......and I miss my baking alot!

Mima
09-15-2008, 07:17 AM
I think i may have sent your e-mail to Spam because I didn't recognize the sender-bad Mima. Can you send it again . Then I will know it's from you.
I didn't go to work-have to take care of myself-I feel guilty because I really didn't want to go but I need to destress. And get acupuncture for my stomache.
Our Pastor is doing something on marriage for the next 4 Sundays and we will be there for 2 of them.
Joanne, try the brat diet for a couple of days-applesauce, rice, toast and banana. I finally went on it yesterday, I am allergic to soy. Among other things.
Have you ever cut out milk products totally. You can substitute with rice milk. I would try that also. Rice milk tastes like sweet skim milk.
Definitely cut out the soy.
When I didn't know I was allergic to dairy, my feet would hurt and the doc would give me cortisone shots. No dairy-3 weeks and the pain was gone. My body is weird.
Hi tammy. Linda. Anne.
Way to go Meme, Hope the pain gets better very soon. Mima

poofiemittens
09-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Good morning.
I have been dealing with fibro for about 10 years, I think. Not sure because it took forever to figure out what was wrong, as I'm sure you all will understand.
I also am overweight by quite a bit and have this really strong urge to lose it.
But I wanted to say hello to everyone before I started my day and that I look forward to chatting more.
Take care........

Joanne D
09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Welcome Poofiemittens- We are here to help each other as best we can.. Work on that strong urge to lose weight.. I bet you will start to feel better.
Mima- I am cutting the soy and starting to cut other things..I don't eat many milk products . Just a little icecream now and then..One of my failings. Dr. told me sometime ago to cut out the dairy...
Candice- If it is otc I have used it.. I have been using gasx and maalox a lot lately.
Hello Tammy ,Meme, Happy.
We were up early today. hubby had to get a check on the arterys in his neck.He may have some build up of plax in there..If so maybe that will explain some of the changes I am seeing..We will know next week..
Joanne

MemeToo
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Did too much yesterday, tired and hurting today. I haven't had a problem with the gas although several people have told me that was their main problem with this surgery. My biggest problem so far has been my back. I'm not hungry and with the anemia that's a problem, too. Hubby grilled hamburgers tonight and I didn't get all of one down 'till it seemed it wanted to come back up. Daughter brought chicken sandwiches last night and I ate a little over a half. Food just doesn't taste good to me and then it ... I don't know how to explain ... seems to keeps on tasting? Doesn't seem like it wants to digests. I'm still take pepcid before I eat, too. I'm hoping it will get better.

Hi to our newcomers and welcome to the fibro board.

Tammy, how are you doing?

Mima
09-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Perhaps that's from the surgery-loss of appetite. Don't worry-it always comes back as we can attest to.
My daughter was home from work with IBS-she seems to know what triggers it. I had eaten potato chips the 2 days I had it. Went to chiro and got acupuncture and am going back tomorrow. Then I went to help with the community meal at church. Loved working there. I will be sure to go when we get home next year.
My dil is such a different person. Praise God.
Hope hubby is ok-Joanne.
My sil told us last night that she had the beginnings of Parkinson's. She does so much and she is such a blessing to all.
Mima How are you tammy and welcome to you two who posted.

Mima
09-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi-Come out of hiding, ladies.
Brad and I spent a couple of hours looking up items for a bill he needs to send out. All about tees and bushings etc.
Going to get grease oil and a tire replaced. A redneck holiday at walmart-getting scripts too.
My gf told me she takes lyrica for fibro and it has been great. Asking my rheump about it-hi all!! Mima

Joanne D
09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Hello Everybody.. Not really hiding ,just too busy for my own good.. Got to go to Sams today.. I get a lot of my OTC meds there. Cheaper.I also buy some foods bulk.. That is easier on the pocketbook too.
I got rid of the soy milk and so far my abdomal pain has decreased.. That may have been the problem..The pain is not worth the less calories..Skim milk is only 10 more cal. than lt soy..
We will know on monday what if anything they found in the hubbies neck arteries.. He has had quad bypass(12 years ago) so it stands to reason there is plax there too.
I weighed in yesterday. gained a pound.. I want to lose more but I gain.. I know some is fluid retention.. I made soup last week with fat free chicken broth.. I know that is some of the problem.. Eleni says that I can get it with less salt.. I will check that out.
OK got laundry waiting on me.. Back later..Joanne

MemeToo
09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Joanne, hope your hubby's tests turn out ok. I'm actually losing weight but can't wear any of my clothes. So frustrating. My stomach & belly is still so swollen or bloated from the surgery, nothing will fit around my waist. I went through my extra closet this morning and found some things I had put back that are too large but feel better than my current clothes, but the tops are way big on me. I think I've got a couple of things I can maybe set the buttons over on and make do for another Sunday or two. Hopefully I'll be back to normal by then. I haven't been going out during the week so Sun. is the only thing I'm worried about. I think my blood has dropped because it doesn't take hardly anything to get me tired ... just a shower will do it. I still can't eat much, either. I'm hoping that will get better with time, too. I'm trying to eat smaller amounts but more often. I'm just not ever hungry and when I start to eat I get full really quick. I don't want anything and then I have to force food down. Nothing really tastes good. I couldln't eat hardly any foods without getting sick before the surgery and lost 9 pounds and now I don't want to eat ... I've lost 2.5 more since surgery. My friend said I should call the Dr. but I've had anemia since I was born and I know from experience that there is nothing they can (or will) do about it (except what I'm doing) unless I need a transfusion and I doubt there is anything they can do about the lack of appetite. They'll probably just tell me it's normal and it'll get better with time. :p

Mima, I tried Lyrica twice and couldn't tolerate it either time. My neurolist tried me on a high dosage and it knocked me out. Then my rheumatologist tried me on a lower dosage and at first I couldn't tell I was on anything but he was having me increase the dosage every couple of weeks. By the time I got the dosage up to where I could tell I was taking it, it was making me dizzy and so sleepy I could hardly keep my eyes open. But every medicine doesn't work the same on everyone. I'm glad it works for your friend. You should try it.

Joanne D
09-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Meme- Give it time.. Things should even out. Recupe time is usually 5-6 weeks in most major surgerys.. If you feel really bad give the Dr. office a call and see if they will see you..
I know that something is just not right with the hubby.. Maybe it is just age .He is 82.. At any rate it needed to be checked out..
Hello Everybody...I cancelled the yard boy for this week.. No use calling him here to do something I can do in less than 30 min.
Joanne

Candicej
09-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Joanne..you are married to an "old" fart!:) I call dh an old fart all the time and he is yonger than me. Hope he is ok...you get your lawn done? All food seems to give me gas but I really do need to aly off the dairy but I love cheese and stuff! I just about toot everyone out of the room;)

Mima..will get you another email sent from "sneesmom"......hope you are feeling better, nice you help Brad out with business. Lyica will make you gain weight! There is new med coming out soon that is not supposede to have all the side effects for Fibro.

Meme...hang on, it will get better, I had to force myself to eat too, no appetite for a few weeks. My sis had terrible runs with hers, I did not get that. If your body does not adjust do give the doc a call just to be sure.

Hi mittens.....I think it too us all a long time to get a diagnosis. Happy weightloss:)

Counter came in all scratched up, they came and sanded and I found more and they came back but complained and said we would have to pay next time implying we made the scratches..not so they did! Now when they were here last time they didn't buff a section and it looks awful. They do not want to correct their mistake.........we had to pay upfront before they would order.........is there no competent help out there anymore!!!!!! Excuse me for expecting and expensive counter top to be in perfect condition:eek: I am the one cleaning up after them and taking up my unpacking time and wearing me out!!!!!!! They have inconvienced me not the other way around...Duh...is my thinking wrong on this ladies?????????????????? Be honest;)

Mima
09-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the cat pics, Candice. A room of there own!!!
Meme-your body has ro recover from major surgery. To even get to church is great.
I don't want anything that maked me sleepy!!
Got my scripts at Walmart while they were doing service and putting on a new tire. That was done before scripts were ready-doc wrote the script for 3 Advairs-talked the pharnacist into only giving me one-I don't use it all the time. And they are 15$ each. She was nice.
Got one of brad's bills out-0ne to go.
Going to travel to Cape Cod for the beach wedding=and it's going to be cold but the wedding is only 30 minutes. Then inside.
I hope hubby is ok Joanne. Where are you Tammy-we want to know if you are ok. Mima

MemeToo
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I know all that, really. Just get too impatient. I want to just get up off the operating table and go back to normal, I guess. It's been over a week and I don't think I'm doing as much as I should be able to. I'm hoping to be able to go out to dinner with hubby tonight but don't know now. Had terrible stomach ache all afternoon. Dr. warned me that might happen. Daughter called and said she brought her 'chair' home today. She gives chair massages at a local factory on Friday's. As most know, she's a massage therapist. She's going to bring it over tomorrow night and give me a chair massage. She ordered an aromatherapy kit and is planning on getting into massage with essential oils. She asked if she could practice on me. I told her sure!!! ;) Best friend's daughter is having her sweet 16 BD party at 3 tomorrow. I really need to go because her mom and I are like sisters but it might all might be a bit much.

Mima, you may not react the same to Lyrica as I did. You should at least give it a try. Just make sure they don't start you out on too high a dose. Tell your Dr. you want to start on a low dose and work up to a higher dose. It would be a shame to pass up something that might give you some relief because it made someone else sleepy and dizzy. There are so many meds out there with warnings about infections and heart problems that I can't even try it just breakes my heart. I try all the new ones that don't have warnings of things I have wrong with me already. You just never know, though. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Candice ... I don't think you're asking too much for your cabinets to be perfect, after all, they are new cabinets. If I were you I'd take pictures and take them in to the manager or whoever you bought them from and just tell him you're not happy. Tell him what all has been going on with them ... mess and all ... and tell him if he can't make it right he can take them out and start all over or you're going to sue him. Get your hubby to go with you! Anyway, that's what I would do. But then, I'm more aggressive than you are. :p

Mima
09-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Surgery is tough Meme-people understand if you can't be there.
Had a nice time getting away for the wedding. Outside in front of the ocean-the bride must be a size 2. And there were 2 flower girls and a ring bearer who weren't quite sure how to go. They were beautiful. The ring beare asked me to dance later-he couldn't have been more than 3-in the middle of the dance. he left me for someone else.
Finally got some Cortland apples-my favorite .
Angela called and debbie is in the hospital with an infection-checking into meningitis, Doing lots of praying-also could be an infection in her shunt, I am afraid to go down there until they find out. That may be today.
Tammy-I hope you are ok.
Bye for now-Mima

Candicej
09-21-2008, 07:57 AM
meme..its the counter not the cabinets..a corian solid surface but it came in all unfinihsed so they had to sand on site in my kitrchen, twice now And there are still flaws......it looks liker the need to bugg are somthing, there ate lines up and down where they sanded. It doesn/t look right and that is what you see when you enter the house. They have not called us back yet.....so we sill we what happens.

YOU feeling better? I worked out side today, trying to- plant a few things from the other place.
WE are getting a bid from a garden center

Happy Canuk
09-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Morning everybody.

Candice, if I was you, I would send it back. Those counter tops are expensive and, as a consumer, you need to get it as flawless as it can be. Why wasn't it sanded before they got there? That would be a total mess, and I am afraid I would get a little ticked off about it, if it was me. If they give you trouble, you must have a Consumer Services within the government, where you can lodge a complaint.

Meme - you just try take it easy! What the heck is your rush Meme. Surely, now you have some time just for you. EVERYTHING can wait until you are better. The whole thing, has still been a shock to your system. I AM SURE YOU CAN LIVE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS WITHOUt going out to dinner, since you don't feel like eating anyway. As for Church, it can also wait until you feel better. Nobody is going anywhere and neither is the church. They will be waiting for you with open arms. YOU NEED TO TAKE TIME FOR YOU _ NOW!!! After all that, I sure do hope that you are feeling better now.,

Mima - Hope Debbie will be alright and that it is not Menningitis. That is nasty. Wedding sounds nice. I guess time is drawing nearer for you to leave for Florida. My brother and a friend of mine are leaving mid October, right after Thanksgiving, for Arizona. We will see them again in the Spring.

Joanne - Hope all is well with you. How is Louie doing? Glad your tummy troubles are doing better. I, personally, do NOT care for Soy anything.

Tammy - Where are you? I hope everything is going well for you. Just stop in and say hi so we know you are doing ok.

Hello to the new gals. Where did you go? Come on back.

This darn FM and OA doesn't like the season changes, so it is acting up. I worked on Thursday and Friday and I work on Monday, then have a few days off. Looking forward to it. My fingers are so stiff and sore, I can barely bend them. I hope you all have a great day.

Tammy
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Hello to everyone. I think of you every day. Sometimes I come and read posts, and other days I don't do much of anything. I hope one day I'll be back to "normal" and posting again. Tim was home for the weekend, and he went back a few hours ago. Bob's birthday is tomorrow. My brother and his wife are taking me out for supper. I should get the puppy next Sun. or Mon., so I think that will help me at least stay focused on something. Keeping you all in prayers!! Love, Tammy

Candicej
09-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Tammy the puppy should do the trick and time......hope your grief support group is helping some.

Nothing has gone as planned here at the house, we are not causing any problems but we are being labled as complainers "difficult people to deal with" which is so untrue...we give people way too much leway because we do not want to be complainers. I can't believe the counter people think the counter is ok or that we damaged it....I am not using the kitchen, we have no aplicances yet and lay nothing on the counter...I have nothing in the cabinets, afraid to unpack yet untill we know what they are doing. The counter shop manager told me they did not do a good job sanding but becasue he came back and worked for 2 hours more he thinks it should all be ok...it does not look right.......we do not know what it should look like after sanded......but we do not think it should look like it does????????

Got a few more things planted some bulbs, but they will have to be redone once the beds are in. Got them in the gorund just for winter.....hope the live. Still more to do but they need some shade and no place to put them yet.

Dental cleaning today and errands and they are aireating(sp) the lawn and seeding the back.

Mima..how cute and only 3...wedding sounded nice.

Happy...you give good advice...I am going to check on the dupont site and see what they say if they have a complaint place. Our upstairs carpet is still in storage due to this kitchen thing. All anyone cares about is the sale anymore and not the actual product.

Meme..you taking Happys advice:)

Joanne..hows your tum:) I got some rice dream..is that milk?

Mima
09-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Candice, we had the same problem with the stairway carpet but they finally got it right. If you have an expensive counter-you deserve it done well.
Got to drink lots of water today-feel bladder problem coming on-DON'T have time to go to doc/
I taked to Debbie yesterday and she is doing better-still don't know results.
We didn't go down there yet.
Love to you tammy-a big hug!
Pastor's message title was Fireproof your marriage. At 9:30 there was an electrical fire and the sanctuary sure smelled. He said it was not an advertisement for his message-God does have a sense of humor!
Don't know what today will bring but I hope to get something down-1 week to go. The weather in NC is warm right now-hope it stays that way. Bye Mima

Mima
09-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Just stopping in to say hi-I feel like Candice, packing, packing. Rheumo is not keen on Lyrica-hasn't been proven and it has too many side effects. But I did get a shot in my bursa in my hip-dentist today and chiro-done!!
Kids coming over Sat night-Debbie is home.
Hi Tammy, Joanne, Anne, Meme, Candice. Mima and anyone else who drops in.

MemeToo
09-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Candice ... as for taking Happy's advice ... I was getting out of the house, going to dinner, because I was stir crazy. I had been in here for a week and was going nuts. And I don't go to church for others ... I'm the one who needs the church, not the other way 'round. Hope your house is getting fixed. Sorry I said cabinets, I actually knew it was counter tops. Either way it's not right. Hope it's getting resolved.

Hi to everybody else. Sorry I complained so much ... I'll try not to do that in the future. Hope everyone is doing good. Tammy, hope you're feeling better. Praying for you girl!

I'm ok now ... almost back to normal ... no worries.

Joanne D
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Meme- Don't give it a thought.. Everyone of us has to vent now and then. I remember when I had a knee replacement.. I was told by Dr. to not leave the house for I forget how many weeks.. until I say him. I almost lost my mind.. I thought just going out in the back yard and sitting in the sun was a party. Ofcourse I had to go down 3 steps. That was a problem..
Candice- Tummy pain comes and goes. I guess it wasn't all the soy.. I buy stuff for salad and end up throwing it away because I am afraid to eat anything that makes gas..Send the counter tops back.. They should come to your house in a perfect finished condition..I would not put up with that kind of stuff.
Mima- Packing for Florida? I bet it won't be too long before you will make Fl. Your main home..Going back and forth can get real old after awhile..
Happy- We went to Dr. appointment and the reports were not back.. So we go again Friday.. The Dr. did put him on a antibiotic for a swollen painfull hand.. He had to get that exrayed.. If it isn't one thing at our age it is bound to be another.
Hey Tammy..
Joanne

Mima
09-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Meme-complain all you want! Doctor's appts can be frustrating, Joanne.
Dentist and chiro yesterday-chiro does this thing to my head and it makes the sinuses open up plus the Chinese restaurant was next door, So I got hot and sour soup.
Hope the oil man comes today-Brad has been waiting for 2 weeks. He has 2 more places to go for work. Kids coming sat night-we are pulling names for Christams.
We ahve an annuity and it never goes down but it doesn't make a lot of money. But we would have lost a lot if it went down. So PTL for that.
Walmart today for stuff. Mima

Candicej
09-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Hubby will gripe and complain to me but will not make a fuss ...so we are waiting to hear when they will be back to sand. They say we are being too picky and the work they did was fine....it will not show up in pictures, the lighting has to be just right. Makes me made but I can't let it bother me if they can fix it. Just not sure they can....I cannot go through another demolition here!!!!!!!!!!:eek: and they expect us to pay for the visit...

Had my mammo and dental cleaning...hate both;)

Gotta go rest.....

Glad meme is getting back to normal, and Joanne salad does a number on me too but I eat it anyway. Mima hope you got packed warm here too and Tammy hugs....Happy I need you here to run my life;)

Happy Canuk
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Good morning.

Mima - Glad you got through that Dentist yesterday. That is the appointment I hate the most. Even just getting my teeth cleaned, I don't like. I love how they feel after, however. My Chiro does my sinuses as well, and it really does help. Right now, I have eye drops and a nose spray for these darn allergies, but I am not sure how much the nose spray is working. The eye drops seem to keep my eyes from feeling like they are full of sand. The Pharmacist told me to use them forever! Well, that is a very long time, so we shall see.

Meme - You are NOT complaining, only stating that you didn't feel well. Of course we know you go to church for YOU, and that is great, but when you just got over surgery, you can't be running all over the place. Your body just will rebel if you do. You still had anesthetic, and that does a real number on a person. It takes 6 weeks to get back to normal, after any surgery. I certainly am NOT suggesting that you lay around for all that time, but hey, you are the one who says you never have any time to yourself! There was your chance to just rest, and there you are just being MEME, who we all love:D I am glad that you are feeling better.

Joanne - I hope the antibiotics start to work for Louie. It is a worry when you don't know WHY stuff is happening. You are right, the older we get, the more stuff appears.

Tammy - Sending you hugs and hoping you got through Bob's birthday ok. That would have been a hard day for you. I know that the puppy will be a comfort to you, and you can join Meme and Joanne singing "The New Puppy Blues" :D

Candice - I hope you make them take it back, or at the very least not pay them for coming a doing what they should have done right the first time. Boy, that would make me mad. Everybody expects to get paid top dollar for their work, but they refuse to give you a good product in return. You take it easy and soon you will be settled in. Here's a graphic just for you on how you feel http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/funny/akkkkk.gif

I have to go shopping today. It is my gsons birthday (10 yr) and he wanted some Martian thing. I had no idea, so I had to enlist the help of Miss ASHLEY, who knew exactly what I was talking about (it's a 10 yr old thing with toys). Now I know what I am looking for, at least.

We are going on a dinner cruise on Saturday night, on a river boat. It is a paddle boat and it travels down the North Saskatchewan River. That river vally is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen, and the Fall colors will be great, provided there are any leaves LEFT on the trees, as it has been so darn windy the past few days. I will take pictures, as it is SUPPOSED to be a nice day.

I hope you all have a great day.

Mima
09-26-2008, 05:30 AM
Wow for that river cruise, Anne.
Brad's aunt fell and she is in a neck brace for 3 weeks because she has hairline fractures and if she doesn't keep it on she could become paralyzed. Yikes!!
Ok-I woke up at 3!!!! Hubby has been sleeping in br-I think he wakes me up-up and down. up and down!!! The other bed is loaded with stuff. wah, wah , wah-I have a lot to complain about,
there was an awesome page about patience in the daily Bread-Brad said he should read it every day. Today is his last day to work and it's only to collect money.
Hope that puppy is good, tammy. Maybe you can post us a picture.
The leaves are really beautiful here and I be they will be nice in NC. We will not be far from TN. In the Smokeys.
Bye for now Mima

Mima
09-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Hope your cruise was nice. Anne. And you are feeling better Meme. Tammy-how is the puppy. Now you are busy. Hey Joanne-we have tons of rain.
We went to a funeral service yesterday and it was so joyous. The son of the person who died is a Pastor-and he sang and played the guitar. It was great even though we know our friends are sad because they lost their grandfather.
Then all 11 of our family was here last night, And the dinner turned out great. We talked Brett into taking the carcass of the chicken and making soup.
I also found out that Bobby does all the cooking for him and Pam. Mike does all the cooking for his family-Yikes!!!
It is funny that a lot of this younger generation does not cook. Suzanne does and I guess Jim does too.
Up at 4 but I will go back to sleep. Sunday is a restful day for us. That means a nap.
I am getting sad-I realized that Becky will be getting close to walking when we get back.
We drew the names for Christmas. Now this will be fun but it will seem weird not buying presents for the older children-except that Brad has Bobby's name and we have to mail it so I hope his wish list does not contain tools.
Bye for now Mima

Mima
09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
MEME_What is the gas situation in TN-just heard from our Fl Pastor that there is a gas shortage and we will be going through TN to get to NC. Thanks Mima

Joanne D
09-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Mima-I don't know what the gas shortage is south of us. So far we have not seen one here in our area..
Happy- The antiobiotics worked fine. We found out that he broke some bones in his hand sometime in the past. He has fallen a couple times in the past year.He put out his hands to catch himself.. The dr. says that he has to be careful to not strain that hand as each time he does the calcium around the bones will seperate.. At his age he doen't do very much around here. i guess he will do less.Maybe I can become two people..
How you doing Meme? I hope you are beginning to feel normal.
Hello Candice...
Watching the Bucs today.
Joanne

Joanne D
09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Mima- I see on the news that Ga. and the Carolinas are have gas problems. Hope you don't run into a problem..
Hello Everybody...Joanne

Mima
09-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks, Joanne-it;s not on the news here. Our friends in TN said there was no prblem in Knoxville-it;s the people coming from Fl that will have a problem. GA opened their pipeline yesterday. We may be the only ones there for the weekend.
Had to go to docs yesterday-I was getting so sick from sinuses I think-he put me on Zithromax-hope it has no side effects for me-leaving this morning,
I had a temp.
Have to stop at Whole Foods to get my cookies. If there is a computer, I will check in. Mima

Joanne D
10-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Hello Everybody...This spot has been really quiet..Mima must be on her way down.. I guess we will hear from her when she gets settled.
Happy must be busy getting ready for winter or going to see all the wonderful color up there.. The closest I get to that is north Fl. I hope we will be able to go to our daughters after our son's B/D.. He will be 50. I can hardly believe how the years have gone by.
Meme- How are you? I hope you are beginning to feel better..
Tammy has her puppy and I bet she is having a ball potty training it..
Candice, do you think you will be in your house for the Holidays?
Everything is about the same here. The mornings are a little cooler ,but, I doubt that will last long. We still need rain. I hate to see my water bill this month..
Take care everybody.. Have a Great Weekend
Joanne

Happy Canuk
10-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi Joanne.

Not getting ready for winter, as, hopefully, it is still another month or better away. Sometimes it snow on Halloween, but not always. The colors are beautiful - mostly shades of gold. We don't have the trees that turn red (I think they are maple but not sure). I think I will go out and take a few pictures today, BEFORE a big wind comes along and helps them fall to the ground. This week, the temps have been up in the 80's - we have broken all previous records. Hope it continues, although it is falling. Today it will be only in the 70's. By next week, we will be back to our normal seasonal temps of about 50F.

I wonder where the heck everybody is. I have been working this week and when I do, I find it hard to sit at the computer in the evening. I am thinking I am just going to tell my boss that I only want to work 2 days a week. That is good for me.

Hope everybody is keeping well. If you come and read, stop in and say HI so we know you are ok.

Candicej
10-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Happy thanks for the graphic..hope I do not look that old:) They have not been back yet, just now returning our call..after several tries. i BET YOU are enjoying that gson...funny about the toy..I would not know either.

JOANNE, WE ARE IN, JUST NOT SETTLED YET.:(

hello tam, mima, meme andall lurkers;)

MemeToo
10-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Would like to ask everyone to pray for our DIL. She had thyroid surgery on Mon. Started complaining of a bad headache Mon. night. Headache got much worse Tues. and son took her back to the hospital. They did a CT but didn't find anything. Dr. prescribed pain meds and muscle relaxers ... said it was probably just the way they tilted her head back during surgery. The headache just got worse. Finaly, early this morning, she woke up around 2 or 3 crying w/headache. Her dad took her back to the hospital. Her dad lives in E. TN and has been staying at their house. Son hadn't had any sleep for a couple of nights so he stayed w/kids. They did a MRI and found a spot of blood on her brain so they LifeFlighted her to Erlanger in Chattanooga,TN. We don't know anything ... they are doing a MRA which is supposed to show all the blood vessels in the brain better than a MRI and that takes about 6 hrs. Just pray they don't find anything. She is only 39.

Joanne D
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Meme- Prayers coming to your DIL ..Sounds like she threw a clot during or after surgery..Hope she gets better soon..
Mima- Where are you?.. Florida Yet?
Our son is 50! his wife is having a party for him Sat. I see my children getting to middle age and Grand children grown.. GOD! I am getting younger..
Everybody have a good weekend...Joanne

Tammy
10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone!
Meme, will keep you and family in prayers.
Anne, 2 days a week is plenty!! I'll write you a note of permission for the boss.
Candice, we've lived here almost 3 years, and sometimes I don't feel settled yet.
Joanne, I agree that you are getting younger!! When I met you, it was hard for me to think of you having a son that would be 50 since I'm 53.
Mima, hope your trip was uneventful on the way to Florida.

Tim and his gf are here for the weekend. Maurice is doing well. Only a few accidents in the house, so that isn't too bad. He has not made any messes in his crate, so that is a huge plus! I leave him in there when I leave the house and at bedtime.

I made a decision this week after reading more of the book we are using in the grief counseling sessions. It mentioned overdoing things just to stay away from the house. I have definitely been doing that with all of the things that I am doing at the Y, and I know that I am wearing myself out. Makes the fibro kick in big time. Next session, I am going to take fewer classes. Now that I have Maurice, I want to be here more to play with him (and to take naps together!! lol)

I think of you guys all the time. One of these days I'll get back on here more regularly.

MemeToo
10-12-2008, 02:55 AM
The Drs. thought DIL had had an aneurism but have now ruled that out due to a series of tests. They did find that she has fluid built up on the back of her brain but don't know what it's from or if it was there before or after surgery. I thought that was weird. They found where the blood vessels at the base of her brain had been dialated at one time but think that was in the past, not recently. Her headache is gone and she is almost completely off the pain meds. She was in ICU but they put her in a room today. They are going to do a spinal tap and one other test tomorrow to make sure she doesn't have an infection in the spinal fluid. My understanding is, if that turns out ok, they will send her home on Monday.

Hope everyone is ok here. Haven't had a moment ... kids keep me busy. Maybe in a few days things will slow down. But then I'll probably crash!

Mima
10-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi-I,m here-lost my post yesterday because I am using wifi in my house and the signal is coming from the clubhouse a block away and sometimes it disappears.cancelling Comcast. Hope your DIL is ok meme-how scary.
We had such a great week at Whisper Mtn in NC . Brad and the guys worked to close in the Pavillion and I made curtains, stained signs and did data entry. Now it's time to get the house settled and we have a rotted out floor. Then we leave on the 29th for our trip.
Saw Evan last night-he is so grown up. And Al has a job selling tickets at the theater. Not the movies-where they have plays and she will be taking driving lessons soon and they will convert the van for her.
Going to post while I have a signal. Mima

Joanne D
10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Memi- Glad to hear you made to Fl. Too bad about the floor.You came down while it is still hot though. I can't wait for cool weather. i am sick of the heat.
Meme- How is your DIL? I guess you do have your hands full with the kids.
Hello Happy, Tammy, Candice..Joanne

MemeToo
10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
DIL is on her way home now. PTL!!! Her mother came on to her house so I took the kids over after lunch today. Had them for almost 5 days ... WHEW! She had a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. They have put her on meds to open up the veins in her head but they cause her head to throb so they are having to give her pain meds for that. Sometimes the cure is as bad as the disease! Anyway ... I'm weary tired ... need to have a 'time-out' so you may not 'see' me for awhile. Daughter is on vacation in Panama City the rest of this week & I think DIL's mother is going to stay with her for a few days so I should be able to take some time off. Hope you all have a good week.

Joanne D
10-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Meme- I know you are relieved that the problem was found . I hope she gets better soon. Small kids can sure tire us out fast..
Tammy- Yes the son is 50 and my daughter is 52.. Neither one looks their age.. When I told our machanic that Greg was 50 he couldn't believe it.. I said I hate to look in the mirrow and know how "young' I am getting. He thinks I have a loose screw. HA!
Hello Everybody.. Joanne

Mima
10-15-2008, 05:52 AM
I know what you mean-my son is 46.
Big stomache problems-hope it's over. I keep taking immodium.
Glad your dil is ok Meme. What a worry.
Comcast is coming today to fix the phone. We are getting there.
Can't believe how good this wifi is. Maybe we are 200 ft away.
Hi tammy, Candice and Anne. Mima

MemeToo
10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
DIL back at Erlanger in Chatt. Bad headahce started again last night. Kids spent the night with their friends last night. Will get Garrett back tonight not sure about Kaylyn. Thing is ... they are not 'small kids' now ... Garrett is 13 now and Kaylyn will be 11 this month. Time flies. It would actually be easier if they were small kids. But they are at thecomputer, guitar-piano-video playing stage. They eat everything in sight and leave their 'stuff' laying all over the house. Garrett is really into magic and he is constantly trying to show us his magic tricks every minute so we have to stop what we're doing to watch. Plus, they fight more than any brother and sister that I've ever seen. I had a brother, I raised a boy and girl, my daughter has a boy and a girl as well as many of my friends when I was younger and even now. I've never seen 2 fight as much as these 2 do or as violently and he usually starts it. And he can't keep his hands off her, he's constantly poking or pushing or smacking in some way. Drives me nuts. Well ... that's my story for this week.

Tammy, I can relate to the overdoing. I've done that all my life because I never did learn to say no. I'm in a position right now that I can't say no. It's an emergency situation. When this is all resolved ... whatever happens, I have a book I'm going to read and I hope it helps me learn to stop being a YES person. It's called 'Boundries'. I need to learn to set boundries with all the people in my life. I've spent my whole life doing things for people because that's what they wanted, not because that's what I wanted. My son and dil didn't even call after my gallbladder surgery. He knew I had gallstones and was supposed to go see a surgeon on Thursday to see if I needed surgery but didn't call to see what the surgeon said. I scheduled the surgery. My gd called to ask me to buy something for school and he got on the phone, I told him about the surgery the next day. He seemed surprised. I told him he knew I had gallstones and was going to the surgeon. He said he forgot. He sent a text the night after the surgery. Didn't hear from him again for over a week. He will go for weeks without even a phone call or an email then one of them will call and ask us to keep their kids so they can go somewhere for the weekend. We do. That's going to change when this is all over. I'm going to read the book and do the work book and work through some things. I'm really having problems with all this. I don't mind helping out when it's an emergency like this but I want change when things calm down.

Joanne D
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Meme- I sure hope that your DIL illness can be resolved.. I think I would be twisting some teen agers ears.. My G/son and his sister are always fighting..AND they are grown.. My son and his sister used to get along so well. Always laughting and enjoying each other. Now since he has remarried they can't seem to even like each other much. I know he is the cause. I think his wife has caused a lot of friction. He used to do a lot to help his dad and I but even before he married this wife he told us he could do nothing more for us anymore.We gave him everything and no was never in our thoughts.We now bend over backward to get along with them..I ask nothing of him and never will again..He almost never calls here and hasn't been in our home in almost a year.. We live 15 minutes from him..We don't need anything from them..Just a call sometime to say hello.. We call him ,sometimes he picks up sometimes he calls back..Maybe we overdid it with him.
Things change when they find new lives..
Mima -Hope your stomach better.. I went through a spell of that , I stop using soy milk and things got a little better..Don't know what will set it off next time..
Hello Tammy, Happy, Candice..
Joanne

Happy Canuk
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi everybody.

Mima - so you are now in Florida. Is the renter now looking after your house? I hope your stomach clears up fast.

Meme - I am glad you got that book and I hope you read it and learn something about saying "NO" from it. It isn't easy. I did my share of saying "YES" as well. Now I really don't care if I annoy anybody or not. I also have a life!

Too bad your son is acting like that. I think the wives have a lot to do with that and boys are often more distant than daughters are. My son is pretty good - he usually calls once a week and we see them often.

Joanne - how are you feeling? Is your stomach still causing you trouble. Is it still HOT in Florida? It was about 50F here today, but Friday it will be warm again - about 65F. Not bad temps for this time of year. Snow isn't that far away. We have had several nights of frost this past week.

Tammy - I bet that puppy is keeping you busy. You need to find something to keep you home or you are going to play yourself out. I know it can't be easy for you.

Worked the last couple of days and have survived:carrot: I started on Celebrex, a med that never helped my lower back at all. HOWEVER, it seems to be helping with the inflammation in my hands and shoulder and upper back and knee and on and on it goes. I haven't had to take any other pain meds at all. So, I am happy about that.

Everybody have a good sleep and a great day tomorrow. I am OFF.

Joanne D
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Happy- My stomach is better for the time being.. I have been having a lot of arthritis pain lately.. Maybe it is the change in weather.I tried to take celebrex once and my stomach would not allow it.Lots of pain..I can't take any of those meds.
It is still hot here. 80's during the day.. It is a bit cooler in the morning ,but, that won't last long..
Hello Everybody.
Joanne

Mima
10-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi-lost my post yesterday-I need a wifi antenna. Went to doc's and saw PA-she gave me 2 scripts-Cipro and Flagyl. We also had flu shots and didn't feel well after but we are fine today. On brat diet for 1 more day-rice, applesauce, toast and banana.
Meme-glad you are reading the book about Boundaries. I believe that growing up in a dysfunctional family causes us to not know that we can set limits. There is a meditaion book called The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beatty that I also found helpful. It has really helped me.
Hi tammy, Anne, Joanne, Candice. Going to stop before I lose my post. Mima

MemeToo
10-18-2008, 05:34 PM
DIL came home late yesterday. Is doing very good (which is a miracle in itself)! Thanks for all your prayers. I've collapsed. Just pray now that she (DIL) heals from this and gets her strength back. (& me, too ... believe it or not, I'm totally wiped out. I've had a cold for a week and I had a headache for 5 days (gone now).

Mima ... IBS/spastic colon/abdominal pain/bloating/diarrhea + peppermint capsules = cure. I still had all above symptoms after gallbladder surgery; got the peppermint gel tabs from iherb.com and started taking them an hour before eating and I'm almost fine now. Just a few things I eat mess me up.

Tammy, how's the puppy. Can we see a picture?

Joanne D
10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Meme- Glad to hear DIL home and maybe doing better. Now you can take care of you..
Mima- Hope you get back to normal soon whatever that is.. I have good and bad days with the tummy. I sure wish I could find the right solution..
G/daughter has BD this week.. She will be 27.. I can't believe all the years that have gone by..
Hello Candice,Happy,Tammy. Everybody have a good week..Joanne

Mima
10-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I did try peppermint before. Stopped taking flagyl-felt awful .I did eat yesterday. I need to start walking-no excuse. It's really nice out today.
Meme-glad DIL home-what an ordeal.
Bye for now-Mima

Happy Canuk
10-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Good morning everybody.

Mima - hope you are feeling better.

Meme - glad your DIL is doing ok now. I hope you are able to just rest for a couple of days and read that book!

Joanne - has it cooled off any in Florida? It is quite cool here this morning, at 32F. Hope you are keeping well.

Tammy - I know you are busy with your puppy. If you stop in, just leave an emoticon so we know you are doing ok. Grief can be overpowering, and I sure hope that you are ok.

I got this in my e-mail today, so thought I would share it with you.

A Special Report from the Doctors Health Press Board:
** Six Herbs for Soothing IBS

It is estimated that approximately 45 million Americans
have symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) -- that's
a whopping 20% of the population. IBS is a general term
for a variety of inflammatory disorders of the intestinal
tract. There are many things thought to cause IBS,
including: a poor diet, genetics, bacteria, parasites,
environmental toxins, and allergies. Normally, the
muscular contractions of your digestive tract are
coordinated and regular. IBS can disrupt this coordination
and cause painful symptoms. People who suffer from IBS
are at risk of malnutrition. Nutrients are often not absorbed
properly into the digestive system. Someone with IBS
could need as much as 30% more protein than normal, as
well as extra minerals and trace elements.

Here are six herbs that could help soothe and heal the
symptoms of IBS:

Alfalfa is rich in vitamin K. Vitamin K is needed by your
body to build intestinal flora for proper digestion. Intestinal
flora is just a fancy phrase for the friendly bacteria and
micro-organisms that your body uses for digestion
purposes. Alfalfa also contains chlorophyll for healing and
cleansing of the bloodstream. You can take alfalfa in tablet
or liquid form.

Aloe vera is a versatile herb that can also be taken
internally to heal the digestive tract. Aloe vera could help
to keep the walls of your digestive tract clean of excess
mucous -- a problem for IBS sufferers. Aloe vera could
also help slow down food reactions, which can cause
painful symptoms. Try taking a cup of aloe vera juice three
times a day on an empty stomach.

Skullcap and valerian root could be helpful during an IBS
attack. They both help with the nerves that regulate muscle
function of the intestines. Take either of these at bedtime,
too, so that they can soothe muscular function while you
are sleeping.

Peppermint is an excellent digestion aid. It could relieve an
upset stomach and gas. It could also help when you have
that "too full" feeling. Peppermint increases stomach
acidity, which helps with digestion. Take peppermint in
enteric-coated capsule form. This will prevent the natural
oil from being released before it gets to the colon.

When you have IBS, it is important to treat not only your
digestive system but also your liver. Milk thistle protects
the liver from toxins and pollutants. It also stimulates the
production of new liver cells. It is best to take milk thistle
in concentrated capsule or extract form.

Pau d'arco could fight bacterial and viral infections. It
could cleanse the blood. It could be helpful in alleviating
the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Have to get ready to go to work, but feel more like going to bed. Woke up before 5:30 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep. Bit of a sinus headache, so I got up. Now, I am tired and I don't even start work until 9:00 a.m.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Mima
10-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Good morning. I am finally feeling somewhat better. We are into walking every night. Have to start packing for our trip. I am afraid of my stomache acting up.
It's warm here but the mornings and evening are nice.
There is a party for our Sunday school class tomorrow night. Have to bring an hors d'ouvre??????? I will make something I can eat-not rice!!!!
How are you doing with the new puppy, Tammy?
And your house candice-see-I spelled your name right.
Bye fpr now Mima

Joanne D
10-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Hello Everybody..
Mima - Hope your stomach holds out for your trip..Enjoy yourself..
Happy- It is nice here now in the morning and evening.. Mid days are not too bad..
I manage to have a couple good days and no pain and then it starts all over again.. If it isn't my legs hurting it is the abdomen..I don't really plan too much lately.
I didn't go to Tops today. I had a some angioedema in my lips last night.. Got that under control with some benadryl. Something reacted..Several years ago I was having that really bad.. Ended up in ER. I read up on my meds and found the one doing it. The Dr. said that wasn't it. I refused to take the med and it stopped..We have to stay one step ahead all the time. You would be surprised how many Dr's don't keep up with these things..
Hello Meme.I hope you are taking care of yourself..
Candice. Where are You? How is the house coming?
Joanne

MemeToo
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Don't you all get tired of having to tell the Drs. what is wrong with you and then argue with them about it to get them to do something? Hubby keeps telling me to get new drs. but I tell him whats the use, another dr. will just eventually do the same thing and meanwhile, I'll have to go through all new tests and meds and wind up paying more money and suffering for it. I'm better off just staying where I am and arguing with this one! :p

Same goes with people. My friend has GB problems now. Had ultrasound and other tests and galbladder is only opperating at 15% so her Dr. is sending her to a surgeon next Friday. I told her how bad this one surgeon in town is at least 3 or 4 times. He did 2 bad things to me and did 2 surgeries at once on my mom because he got the first one wrong. He's REALLY bad. I told her, not long ago, whatever she did never go to him. She let them make her app. with him. When she told me, I flipped out. I told her that she never listens to anything I say. I'll tell her something and then she says she doesn't remember me telling her that. That's because she doesn't listen to what I say ... much like my husband and my kids. I'm giving up. Gonna just stop telling people things. They have their minds so wrapped up in themselves they actually DON'T hear what I'm saying to them so I figure, what the heck ... what am I wasting my breath for. Ever feel like that?

Joanne D
10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Meme- I totally agree with you!!!Being a nurse for so many years I learned that we have to do our work.. That means find out everything you can about your problem and meds.. Don't just take something because a Dr gave it to you..It is our body and we are the only one that can really take care of it..I don't have any problem telling a Dr. that I won't do something or take a certain med that I don't agree with. I also have no problem disagreeing with whatever diagnosis they throw at me just to get rid of me.
I know changing Dr's is a pain in the butt..I just let them know that even if I am 75 I am far from senility..
Some people just don't want to hear what we tell them.. Don't waste your time ar breath..They have to find out by themselves.. My sister had surgery several years ago.. I let her know there were some bad and some good Dr's around.. She went her own way and suffered for it..The hospital she went to was bad,the nursing care was bad and the Dr. was worse..
Hello Everybody...Joanne

kaplods
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi everybody. Jumping in here with a reintroduction. I've spent much of the last year trying to live like I don't have fibro, and it's bit me in the butt super big time with some pretty nasty, long flares (especially the last month, complicated by some respiratory infection that I just can't shake. I don't know if it's typical of this particular strain, or if the fibro is just not letting my body heal), so I'm dropping in to start hanging around and posting here more often. I'm Colleen, and on disability for the fibro, osteoarthritis and some mystery autoimmune condition. We thought the autoimmune issue was in remission, but I'm having some Sjogrens like symptoms so maybe not.

Oh and Meme (if you've been through this already, I apologize), but if there's a fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue support group in your area, it's a great resource not only for support, but to find which doctors in your area are sympathetic (and which to avoid). My neurologist is my best fibro doctor, but I'm long, long overdue for my appointment because I'm just so afraid of the expense (after having great insurance most of my life, Medicare sucks). I have some dental stuff that needs serious attention too, but I've got no dental coverage, so I'll have to see if there's a dental school close enough to be an option (and there's a rumor of a local dentist doing reduced rate care for Medicare patients).

Mima
10-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Good morning and hi Kaplods. My husband and i just went on medicare and haven't had a dr. bill yet-just seeing how it works. I like it because we live in 2 places so it works while we are in FL.
Not sure about my stomache-yet-but today is the last day for my med. I stopped taking the other one because it made me sick.
Going to get body perm today-did well last time in the humidity with one.
And tonight is our party. Bye Mima=hey Joanne, I am with you on the symptoms!

Joanne D
10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Hello Kaplod- sadly we can't ignore some of these problems..
Mima- You may need a supplement to medicare.. We have a group policy with Humana. The hubby was a teacher for 30+ years. That helps although we are limited to which Dr's we can go to.. I am not happy with the medication part though. The Dr's have the hubby on brand meds and that costs us around 500 a month..
Hello All... Joanne

Mima
10-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi-We have medex from ***S and Medicare D Silverscript prescription coverage. I know we are fortunate.
Diverticula can bleed as well as get infected-went to 2 docs and got blood work done for anemia-back for blood work tomorrow. So far-the bleeding has stopped-can only take tylenol for fibro-not my nsaid. Never a dull moment.
We are leaving next Wed. ???? One day at a time. Mima

Sweetcaroline
10-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone...
I've been here at 3FC for awhile, losing weight, exercising frequently. I was on-a-roll. I don't have FM but I got very sick in June/July and my good habits went out the window. I was diagnosed with MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease). Boy, what a road I've been on... in a lot of pain, made worse by exercise at the moment and trying to get some of my good habits in check. For weeks I've been 'buying' healthy foods with every intent on starting a good regime. I've watched a lot of great food go to waste as I grabbed chips etc instead... So here I am again on the brink of 'starting again'... The frig is stocked with beautiful food and I've already prepared and froze some food for the week. Food is much too expensive to be wasting it... I'm so glad this thread is here as I'll be looking for support outside of the general forums... Thanks everyone...

Mima
10-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi caroline and welcome. My advice is to not have the other food in the house-Dr Phil's book.
Bled again yeterday-seem ok today. Ate spinach both days before I didn;t bleed-vitamin K. I hurt so much since I can only take tylenol. Haven't packed yet. Praying for the wisdom as to whether to cancel the trip that leaves on Wed.
I guess I can go to church-bye Mima

Tammy
10-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Hello Ladies! My name is Tammy, and I'm back! Well, I hope that I'll be here on a more regular basis. Things have been going well considering. The past few days have been super painful ones, but those are the first in ages. Maurice (puppy) is doing well. No messes in the house except when he ran to the back door (I have a puppy pad there just in case), he started to go on the pad, but he wasn't all the way on it. I didn't yell at him because at least I know he was trying to do the right thing. He's a cutie!

Meme, keeping your dil in prayers. I think some brothers and sisters have a natural tendency to fight. My brothers and I were that way for a while when we were about that age. That's cool that Garrett is into magic!! The book Boundaries is a book a group of teachers read and discussed after school each week. We read several books over a few years. That book was especially meaningful for all of us because we were being asked (almost ordered) to do so much extra stuff for the school on our own time.
I have a picture of Maurice on my computer, but I don't know how to send it to this group.

Mima, I cannot believe that Al will be starting driving lessons!!!! Good for you for getting some walking in. I get some in when I am out with Maurice.

Anne, glad to hear that Celebrex is helping you. I tried that when I was first diagnosed with Fibro, and it didn't do a thing for me. 3 cups of aloe vera juice a day sounds like alot. I am now taking 1 tablespoon in a glass of juice each morning.

Joanne, I agree about needing to learn about your health problems to talk about with your doctor. I have started printing things out from the internet and taking info with me. $500 a month for your husband's meds is crazy!!!
Still hot down there? It's going to be about 60 today.

Welcome to Colleen and Caroline!

Oh, by the way, Tim and his girlfriend are engaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had talked to Bob in June before he got sick again, and we feel blessed that Bob felt about Lauren the way we do. It will be a long engagement. Tim still has a year of college left, and Lauren has 2 or 3.

Joanne D
10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Hello Everybody..
Tammy- Nice seeing you back.. Yes I agree 500 a month is crazy for meds. We are going to talk to Dr. when we go back and see what we can do about it.. We are on a limited income and that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything extra.. We almost never eat out or do anything extra..
So Tim is engaged? That's nice.. I bet he won't want to wait 3 years to get married.. They wouldn't be the first couple to get married while in school. My hubby was in college and I was in nursing school when we got married..That was some lean times.. Then he was working on his masters and I was working in A hospital . That was hard. I made 30. a week.. He was getting a hundred twenty five from G I bill a month.
Mima- If you are not feeling good cancel. You can't enjoy yourself feeling bad. This is the first day I haven't had pain in my abdomen. I don't even want to think how long this will last..
Caroline- I can't tell you how much healthy food I have thrown away. Just to go out and buy more. The thing I found out is to eat it..This is a life long new way of eating.. Try to get rid of all your unhealthy food.. That is hard in my house. The hubby wants it and does not have the problem with it that I do..
Well it is sunday and the weather man says we will be getting cooler weather.. The Bucs lost to Texas and the Rays lost to Philly last night. We will see how they do tonight. I never watched ball games in my life till this year. Now my interest is there. Better than Watching the elections. I am sick of them.
Hello Happy, Meme.. Joanne

Mima
10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Good morning. Glad you are back Tammy and congratulations to Tim and Lauren, If you can send the pic to Meme-she can post it. I have done it-go to advanced I think.
We want the rays to win too. I am good today so far-went to Health Food store and got Vitamin K. i am miserable because I can't take my reg Fibro med.
We were supposed to meet someone at church but Brad and he were at opposite doors. He went to the service without us and loved it, And we will meet up with him when we get back. he is a friend of a friends in MA and new down here,
Maybe some of your meds aren't generic. Joanne, Our tenant was having that problem.
Well bye for now-Mima

nothingtofear
10-27-2008, 10:07 AM
hi,
im new around here... i a, looking for some meds. or alternatives meds. or services that people have had success with. Im in pain, getting more and more depressed and at the highest weight i have ever been... thanks

Joanne D
10-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Welcome Nothingtofear- You need to get with a good Doctor.
Mima- Nearly all of the hubby's meds are brand.. It seems that the Dr. doesn't want to change to generic.. Maybe he feels nothing else will work.The hubby won't exercise and not even take a walk. We have a expensive treadmill and he doesn't use it.I use it on bad weather days. I like to walk outside.I am hoping the Dr. will find a way to work with us..
Hello Everybody...Joanne

MemeToo
10-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Here's a picture of Tammy's puppy, Maurice.
http://www.memeart.com/images/maurice.jpg

Mima
10-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Oh what a cutie-and the owner too!!!
Going to doc-I am packing-hope it's for the good.
Went to get a body perm yesterday-he siad not to use the curling iron for 2 days so i look like an old lady with the curls.
Met mike at burger King so we could see them before we went. Going to take Evan to the pageant this year. Hope he can sit through it.
Got up at 4-not good. Mima

Tammy
10-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Meme, thanks for posting the picture!!

Mima, what is the vitamin K for?

Joanne, it won't surprise me if Tim and Lauren get married before she finishes school. I know she has already checked into a couple other schools about transferring credits if she would leave Ball State.

Nothingtofear, welcome to the group!! I agree with Joanne about getting to a good doctor. The right one can make a huge difference. Please let us know how you are doing, and if you have found the right doctor.

I went for a reflexology session this morning. That is my second one. Felt good!

Joanne D
10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Tammy- Vit K is to help the clotting of the blood.
Boy do I need something.. I hurt from my neck to my toes.. It must be the weather that has flared up the old arthritis..I was watching the Rays last night. I got to give both teams credit for playing in that rain. I have hope that the Rays will do the job,but, the Phillys are a tough bunch and that crowd in the stands would unnerve God himself..
Mima- I got a perm once in my life . They just about made me bald. My hair was a burned mess of frizz..I have some natural curl anyway.. I thought I just needed some body.. Never again..Hope you are feeling better.
Hello Meme, Happy. In the 40's here in the am then back to the 80's by the weekend.. Florida weather..
Joanne

Happy Canuk
10-28-2008, 08:17 PM
http://http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/birthdays/Tuesday_1.jpg

Hi. Tammy, cute that baby is! and his mommy isn't so bad either :lol: Congrats to your son and his gal.

Joanne - it is 72F here today. We could just as easily have snow this time of year, but it has chosen to be nice for at least another week. I started on Celebrex and it seems to be helping. NOTHING was taking care of the pain so decided to give it a try. Soon, I will try do without it and see what happens.

Mima - gosh, you are having quite a time with your tummy. Hope you have a good trip. For some reason, I can't remember where you are going, so if you could enlighten me, that would be nice.

Went to Edmonton for the weekend, as it was my daughter's birthday. Did lot's of visiting, drove through a windstorm with gusts up to 60 mph. Scared me half to death, as I was driving. It was trying to snow, and it was swirling around but nothing was sticking. It was too windy to stick!!

Welcome to all the new people that have stopped in. Hope you continue to come round. Dieting isn't fun, and pain is less fun, so we get together and make the best of it.

Everybody have a nice night. Hi to Meme and Candice.

Mima
10-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Forget vitamin k-doc says I could get a clot and have a heart attack. He also wants to do a colonoscopy when we get back from the Grand Canyon-he doesn't like how much blood I lost.
Leaving in 2 hours -didn't sleep well-the heat kept going on. Will be in washington DC tomorrow. And Chicago on Friday-AZ Sat night.
I am not supposed to take my fibro med and I am hurting too. Mima

Tammy
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info about Vit. K. I probably knew at one time, but my brain doesn't work like it use to work. I haven't watched the ball games, and to be honest, I had no idea who was playing. It's supposed to be in the 60's here in a couple of days. About 40 right now.

Anne, glad that it's still nice weather for you! I am not ready for snow, but I know it is coming. 60 MPH wind would definitely make it tough for driving. When we had the remnants of Hurricane Ike, that's what we were having, and I didn't like it one bit especially since I was out driving in it. Glad you were able to visit!!

Mima, I am so confused! I thought you were going to Florida! I guess I need to read the posts more closely.

Happy Canuk
10-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Mima - that's right, I forgot you were heading to the Grand Canyon. I hope that you feel ok and don't run into problems along the way. I would probably have opted to stay home, myself. I hope you are flying and not going on a bus! I knew you had moved to Florida already, but just didn't remember where you were going. So thanks for letting me know that.

Tammy - yes, that was freaky driving, with stuff blowing in front of you. On the highway, it was like driving in a dust bowl. All the farmers have finished combining and their fields are cleaned up for next year. I wonder if the guys on the right side of the road will end up with the most soil. It sure was blowing and it was hard to see in some places.

Going to make my Fruit cakes this morning, and also Nuts and Bolts. Have to start doinging them, instead of talking about doing them lol

Everybody have a good day.

kaplods
10-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi everybody,

Maurice is adorable isn't he! I really believe in the healing power of pets. Our cat (we adopted her about five months ago), is a lot like me. A middle-aged fat lady. She's 8, and 16.5 lbs (down from almost 18 when we got her) with arthritis. She snores terribly, so probably has sleep apnea (I did until I lost about 30 lbs). We're trying to get more weight off of her.

My husband and I are both fat and disabled, so a fat, disabled cat seemed appropriate. On cold, damp days we're all miserable. Although it was hilarious to introduce our fat girl to the joys of an electric blanket on a cold, damp day. I think it was Monday, I was flaring and freezing, so I had the electric blanket on, and I didn't even notice the cat until I heard the loudest purring I'd ever heard from her (usually she only purrs when we're petting her or paying direct attention to her). She had stretched out as far as she could to expose as much of her body to the heat as she could. I could definitely relate.

I'm taking much better care of myself - making sure to get my afternoon nap in, but I'm still stuck in a huge flare (I think a large part of it, is this sinus infection that just won't leave.). I went to the doctor today because the sinus crud hasn't cleared up (over a month now), but was told my lungs are clear and it's probably viral so there's no use getting an antibiotic. So basically he told me to do what I have been doing - lots of fluids, steam, saline solution and rest.

My husband's friend (our neighbor) had what seemed to be the same virus shortly after I got sick, but his is long gone. I'm wondering if we had different viruses or wether the fibro just makes it harder to get over stuff.

Tammy
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Anne, I laughed about the soil going from one field to another because that's what I was thinking here the other day when it was blowing so much!

Kaplods, Maurice is up to 7.8 pounds! A real bruiser. lol He really has helped me when I'm feeling down. Had to laugh about the electric blanket. I can relate.

I changed my tracker the other day to start over. I bought new scales, so I thought I would just begin again. Maybe some day I will actually stick to a good eating plan, keep exercising, and lose some more.

Hello to everyone!!

Mima
10-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Tammy-I had to memorize our itenerary, it's complicated. We went from MA to NC a month ago-worked at a Cristian Camp for a week and headed to FL. We left FL on Wed. We are in chicago waiting to board the train to Williams AZ.
The nice thing about a sleeper is that you can go in a special lounge.
The train ride is tough at night.They are blowing ti
he horn constantly and the track is bumpy. But we have had a good time meeting people.And this should be the best because we will see the West.
Hi everyone and bye for now. Mima

Joanne D
10-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Hello Everybody.
My son became a step-Papou'(G/father) today.. I guess that makes me a step-Great G/yia yia (G/mother)..It was a little girl 6+ lbs.. Name- Audrey Rose
I wonder why Mima went to the Grand Canyon via Chicago? I have been there twice.. I was not impressed with all the shops but the Canyon was wonderful.. Given the chance I would go again. Just to sit and look into the Canyon.
It is trick or treat night so I better get ready although we seldom have more than a few children come..
Joanne

Candicej
11-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Just been busy with house stuff, the counter is done but not perfect so trying to get the kitchen unpacked...then the landscaper had time to work us in before winter so been in the yard helping him so hurting..muddy mess and watering alot.

Cute puppy!:D

Boundries...found it boaring since I knew most of the the stuff they were talking about......but it did "confirm" my thoughts...... but people still do not understand!!!!!!!all my books are still packed up..no time to read anymore:(

Cute trick or treaters...........some polite and some pushy grabby ones :eek:

Hi to all..............................

Tammy
11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Mima, I've always wanted to take a trip by train. We talked about it a couple summers ago, but ended up not doing it. Maybe I will some day.

Joanne, congrats on the new baby!! I like the name. My great niece had a baby in June, Hannah Rose.

Candice, hope things will be coming together for you and you will have some time to just sit back and relax!!

Would you believe that the book that we are doing in the new bible study is about Boundaries? I couldn't believe it since we were just talking about it. I guess it's more about balance, but I think those go together.

Tim and Lauren will be here soon. Just coming to visit for the afternoon. I think they just want to see Maurice!!

Happy Canuk
11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Hello

I guess Mima is still away. Hope the weather has been good for them and I sure hope she has been feeling well. The Grand Canyon is someplace I intend to get to one day as well - perhaps on my way to Arizona one winter.

Klapods - How are you doing. Glad to see you here. Cute story about the cat and the electric blanket. I don't own one, but have thought about it often. I have a large heating blanket (giant heating pad really, that covers from my shoulders to my hips and it is WIDE! You can leave it on all night and not burn yourself.

Tammy - so glad that little Maurice is providing what you need at times. That is great.

Joanne - congrats on the new baby. I guess this does make you a grandma once again.

Candice - nice to see you pop in as well. You are making progress and that is all that matters.

The weather has been unbelievable here - up in the 70's. I think they are forcasting SNOW for Wednesday, but today is another great day. Hey, for the 3 November, NOBODY in Alberta is complaining lol

Hope you all have a great day.

Candicej
11-04-2008, 02:32 AM
DH hasd been sick with a cold and I am trying not to catch it! Still watering and another worker coming Thursday. Gotta get furniture for at least the basement family room picked out nad delivered so we can have the new carpet laid and they won't tack it up goinjg down the steps.

I need to see a neurologist...having troulbe seeing at times...things get spotty....happened when I was drifing the new car DH got me and it is happening now so I can't read what I am typing! SEe the rhume tomoorrow, got a bad foot for a year now..plantar facitis I think or a spur.......

Hello......to all..my head is hurting since I can't see..gotta sign off:)

MemeToo
11-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Oh those Dr. appointments. Don't you just hate them? Went to Nashville today to the Rheumatologist ... do not like making that trip. Got a steroid shot in my ankle, talked to him about getting on disability, got all my scripts filled and got him to fill out the papers for my placard for hubby's truck ... I have a HC plate for my van but sometimes we go places in his truck and he winds up having to park 1/2 mile away or something. I don't mind so bad if it's a pretty day (and I'm having a 'good' day) but if it's raining or really cold I can't make it. He's pretty good about dropping me off and parking and walking back but if it's a concert or something big, then we get separated. I'm lucky to have an understanding Rheumatologist. Hubby is wanting me to get on disability now so he can retire in a year or 2 and I will have insurance. Dr. understood about that, too. He said that just with one of my disabilities I would be able to work but with all of them put together there wouldn't be a job I could do. He said for me to give him a few minutes for him to "Dr. up" his notes and then he began to type on his computer. I don't know what he wrote but he was 'grinning' the whole time he was typing. He was talking about the Rheumatoid arthritis and the osteoarthritis, the Fibromyalgia and how serious the anemia was and then about the surgery I had on both my knees and the tendonitis in my left foot and ankle and how the MRI had shown both kinds of arthritis in my right foot and ankle. By the time he finished I was beginning to feel sorry for myself! :D Hubby's SIL works for the Social Security Office here and she said she would help me file online ... he said she made it sound easy. I want to go see my Neurologist first ... have an appointment with him Dec. 4. I'm supposed to have a MRI of my head done Thur to see if I have a tumor. I have a really loud ringing in my ears ... driving me nuts. I really think it's from the Topamax, though ... not a tumma (as Arnold S. would say) ;) Kindergarten Cop was one of my favorite movies!

Having pets is supposed to help you live a longer, less stressful life. I'm sure they aren't counting the first couple of years!!! :p I swear to you one and all, mine thinks she is a kid. She has no clue she is a dog. (My biggest worry is ... I'm beginning to believe it, too!) :?:

GiaLovesPoppies
11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
hi all...
i'm new here, and so relieved to have found you all!
i'm 52, Hep C positive, been told i have fibromyalgia (personally, i think it's the hep) depression, autoimmune issues, and fat on top of it all!
i'm starting effexor next week, i'm told it might be helpful losing weight, and wondered if anyone had that experience. i'm also going to try and wean myself off the vicodin i'm taking for pain. i think that might be making me feel so lazy all the time...but it takes the pain away, for sure.
i have a 13 yr old daughter, a 4 yr old german shepherd, a 5 month old kitten ( we just put our 14 yr old cat to sleep :cry:) and live in iowa. i love the fall and spring seasons...winter? not so much!
hope to get to know you all, and hope you're all doing well.
thanks!
-gina

Joanne D
11-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Welcome Gina-- Yes it is probably the vicodin making you lathargic.. I need to take pain meds at night. I have oa. I refuse to take anything but advil during the day . I don't like the down feelings.. I hope you can resolve some of your medical problems..
Tammy, the older names seem to be in fashion now..My son told me that the baby is really cute. Some of the asian features are showing. My sons wife is half Japanese,her mother is full Japanese.. That is quiet a story in itself..She married a service man and came to America after ww2.
Meme- Get all the benefits you can.. Sounds like you need them.. I agree about the dogs. Christie is more like a child every day. Untrainable!!She has a mind of her own. I need the dog whisperer..
Happy- We have been in the 60's lately.. that won't last long.. I am sorta hoping it stays. When it gets really chilly I will be thinking different. Walking Christie will not be so nice then.. We live next to bayous. The breeze off of them is cold..
I have said I would have to wait till G/children starts having babies to have more g/children..
Candice- Go to a Dr.. There is nothing worse than problems with the eyes. Well I guess there are worse things.
I was not happy with the election..
Joanne

MemeToo
11-06-2008, 03:12 AM
You aren't the only one unhappy with the election! My fear is ... many who voted for him are going to be unhappy before his term is over. But ... life goes on.

Have been staying off the foot and ankle today. Last night I thought I was getting a blood clot in my leg ... put it up on pillows and it got better by this morning ... now it just throbs. I think they put too much numbing medicine in that shot.

Joanne, Ginger does pretty good. Her biggest problem is, she won't go on her paper if I am in the bathroom (where the paper is). She needs her 'privacy'! ;) Also, if I'm eating, she thinks I should give her some of whatever I'm having. I usually just put her in the bathroom. I wait and feed her when we eat and leave her in there until we finish. Can't stand the 'puppy-dog eyes'! :p I still haven't gotten to the point where I trust her in the house while we are gone either. She is still bad to get into things She sleeps with me but I have my bathroom gated in half - half for me and half for her! The rest of the time when we are home she pretty much has the run of the house (& she thinks she is the boss of the house, too.) :p They are sweet, entertaining and good company but they're still a lot of trouble. Ginger is pretty smart. I have been able to teach her several things like sit, give me five, dead and roll over and I'm sure she can do more if I'd put more time into it. She seems to just know what I'm saying to her. She's the third poodle I've had and they've all been pretty smart. The one outside is the one I should have been working with all these years. She is really smart. Golden Retriever. She does several things but I haven't worked with her like I should have.

http://www.memeart.com/images/gingersm.jpg http://www.memeart.com/images/memesam2.jpg

Kate53
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi...another new member here. I'm fighting the "How did I get so fat?" issue along with Fibromyalgia which I was diagnosed with 19 years ago. I was doing okay there for awhile but FM has reared it's ugly head the past few years (since moving to Florida from New England). I'm following the South Beach plan, am in phase 2, and managing my FM pain with very little medication. What works for me is Tramadol with Advil, twice a day. I am quite active for a woman of size and finally have the luxury of staying at home and being a housewife. I have a very large Great Pyrenees who is spoiled rotten and loved dearly. Looking forward to reading the forums here.

Tammy
11-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Anne, it has been in the mid-70's this week here! It has been wonderful!! I know we are probably in for a nasty winter since it has been this nice.

Candice, I hope you and hubby are feeling better!! I have a sinus infection, and I've started on an antibiotic. Not fun. When do you see the neurologist? Keeping you in prayers!

Meme, Bob had wanted me to get a hand. thing for the car when I was having major problems, but I never did. He ended up having one for the van and the car when he was so sick last Sept. There were a couple times recently when I was hurting so bad that I considered using one of them, but I didn't. I guess I should throw them away now. Have to agree with you about the dog not thinking it's a dog!!

Welcome to Gina!! We are about the same age. I'm 53. I have a 20 year old son, a 3 month old dachsund, and I live in Ohio. My husband of 27 years passed away in July, so I am still dealing with that right now. Making it hard to even want to lose weight some days.

Joanne & Meme, I agree with you about the election.

Meme, love the pictures!!! Maurice has been great with training. I keep him in the kennel when I leave the house and at night. When I let him out he goes to the back door to go out right away. I do have one of those pads near his cage just in case he doesn't make it to the back door. I agree about the puppy dog eyes!!!

Welcome to Kate!!!! I have the South Beach book somewhere. Maybe I should give it a try again. I wish I would just make up my mind to do it!!! Staying home is a good thing!! I retired 1 1/2 years ago after 30 years of teaching. I've gone back in and helped a couple of friends in their classrooms, but I wouldn't want to be doing it full time anymore.

Well, I guess I should get something accomplished other than spending the whole day on the computer! Have a great day everyone!!!!

Joanne D
11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Welcome Kate.. I did the South beach diet and lost some weight with it. The one thing I found was My colesterol went up while I was on it. I then went back to the weight watchers plan. I have lost 74 lbs and kept it off for 5 years. I am always trying to lose more.Just another 5 lbs would be good.
We are a good group .Stay around and we all can help each other.
Meme- Your little baby has grown.. I never trust Christie when we go away or sleep. She goes into her crate. I don't sleep with her . She sheds and snores. One person in the bed snoring is about enought.She hates trucks of any kind and wants to eat the tires off of them. She makes quiet a fuss when she sees or hears one go by.. Otherwise she is a joy.. She is really smart.. She knows just how to get what she wants.
Hello Everybody..Joanne

Tammy
11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Quiet group! We had some snow today! Yuck. I am not ready for winter. I liked the 70+ degree days that we had last week.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to go to the church for the closing ceremony for the Emmaus weekend. There's a carry-in afterwards, but my plans are to just come home and eat. I always eat too much of the "wrong" foods at those things.

Hello to all!

Kate53
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Good morning all.....weigh in this morning and am down another 2 pounds...had some fun over the weekend so wasn't sure if I'd have a loss this week. Fibro not acting up too badly lately maybe because the weather has been sunny and warm. Trying to keep things quiet around here as my hubby has been working nights past few weeks and needs to sleep during the day. I just wish the neighbors dog would figure that out!!
Wishing a great week to everyone.

Joanne D
11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Kate - Where in Fl. do you live.. I am in Tarpon Springs.. Nice weight loss..
Hello Everybody..
This is short. I am sitting here with color on my hair. I keep saying I am going to stop doing this and then go buy the color. Vanity! Maybe I just look in the mirrow and decided I didn't like what I saw..:dizzy:
Joanne

MemeToo
11-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Joanne, I still color my hair, too. I've thought about having it stripped. It would be solid white, I'm sure. I started getting white hair when I was in my twenties. I'd like to have it stripped, lightened and streaked but then I'd have to keep going back and keep it up and I can't afford it. An eight dollar box of dark brown color every 3 or 4 weeks is a lot cheaper and easier! ;)

My best friend is having GB surgery in the morning. Guess I will go up and sit with her hubby. It's early ... she's first, 6:30. :eek: Hope she doesn't have the problems afterward I'm having. Still have to take a handfull of pills before I eat & stick close to the bathroom after I eat.

Welcome Gina and Kate. I don't have a lot of weight left to lose now. Maybe 5 or 6 more pounds and I'm good. I've lost about 50, though. I was diagnosed with fibro about 30 years ago and I also have Rheumatoid & Osteoarthritis and anemia. I take methothrexate for the arthritis. The last thing I tried for the fibro was Lyrica ... didn't like it. I took gold shots for years until they could no longer get it here. They really helped. I was taking Flexeril (long term) had stopped but Dr. wants me to start back. Guess I'll give it another spin on a low dose at night. Not sleeping well. I take Darvocet for the pain. Just had my GB out and between that and IBS all NSAIDS mess with my stomach big time. I have a very active life and it's hard to have to stay close to a bathroom! :p I had 3 Drs. tell me years ago, when my kids were still in grade school, that it was just a matter of a few years until I would be in a wheelchair and then in bed ... I cried for 2 weeks. Then I got mad ... I said they just didn't know me at all. I had a family to take care of and I wasn't going to bed. I still have a lot of pain but I live my life anyway. I'm not the type of person to just go to bed. There are a lot of days I'd like nothing better but I drag my lazy butt up and get in the shower! I'm not saying I always feel better afterward either. But I'm up and I'm keeping my promise to myself that I made 30 years ago ... the promise that I won't give up and I won't give IN because when you give IN the disease wins.

I'm 61, have 2 kids, boy (42) & girl (38) and 4 grandchildren - 13, 12 11 & 9 and I live in middle TN

Mima
11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Good morning from Ft myers-got home about 7 last night-we were on the road 13 days-8 of them on the train. We could have had a bigger room if I had a handicap sticker. I def would get one if I went again.
Tammy-the train fro Chicago to AZ has the most awesome scenery/ We had to go to Ch because there is no train from here out West. they lost their track rights after Katrina -at least to New Orleans-crazy.
I did not have anymore bleeding but I only can take Tylenol-ouch. NowI have a lot of pain in my left heel/ That's a new one.
The Grand Canyon was awesome!!! We were there for 3 days -it was freezing. Glad to be in FL again. The train was fun during the day because you met so many nice people-and some weird. All the meals were provided because we had a sleeper.
Best comment about the election-some of us will not find it as bad as we thinks it's going to be and the others will not find it as good as they think it will be. God is in charge.
Today I will have at least 2 naps.
There is an awesome pic of Jim in the newslettter on http//www.anotherwastedyear.org They mad him into a baseball card .Bye for now Mima

Tammy
11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Kate, congrats on the loss! I remember when my hubby worked nights, and it seemed like the whole neighborhood went crazy during the day making noise.

Joanne, I color my hair too. I've considered letting it grow out, but I'm scared to see how it would look! Tim said I would look like one of my aunts, so that's scary in itself!!!!! lol

Meme, praying that your friend comes through the surgery with no complications now and afterwards.

Mima, I really would like to take a train trip. I know there is a station in northern Ohio somewhere.

I go to the reflexologist at 10:00 this morning, then tonight I have a board meeting for the Emmaus community I am involved in. I will be the secretary starting in January (for 3 years), so I want to get myself familiar with things.

Kate53
11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Joanne, I live just north of Vero Beach on the east coast. I am originally from Cape Cod. And Meme, right there with ya on the IBS and FM. I was diagnosed when I was 15 with the IBS and I'm 55 now. Ive been using a fiber regimen at night and that has helped immensely over the years. I should have bought stock in the company that manufactures Immodium, too! I have found that I have become almost "normal" while on the SB diet. I guess not eating refined foods/sugar/carbs does make a difference for me. My FM comes and goes. I had a few brief years with no symptoms but when it came back, it really took over. I've been to every doctor/chiro/pain mangement specialist I can think of and so far the only control I have over it is to stay active, stay on schedule with my meds (Tramadol and Advil) and see my chiropractor when I get tight. I know what you mean about not wanting to get out of bed some days. I have to force myself to get moving some mornings. My big dog keeps me going with a 2 mile walk everyday. I have an elliptical trainer I have to get back on but I just feel like someone beat the crap out of me some days. And like you, I won't let it get the best of me!! I will just keep on moving.....My current primary care physician wants me to try Lyrica but I don't like taking any medications. I only take the Tramadol because I do find some relief with it. Good luck with your health issues.

Mima
11-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi kate-from the west coast of FL and also from MA-6 months in Westminster MA.
I am begining to feel like Job-I think my foot is plantar fasciitis= better today-I miss my med big time but they won't let me take it because of the bleeding-maybe after I have the colonoscopy.
My doc doessn't want me to take Lyrica but I have a gf who likes it.
Bye for npw-Mima

Candicej
11-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Welcome Newbies:)

Got the cold and it is awful..can't sleep, can't breathe, throat hurts, head hurts, eyes watering, nose running....poop!

Painter came, got anther day or two and then we get carpet down.....

cold and rainey here...

dog is spoiled, sleeps with me but he likes to tear up kleenex and stuff, unrolls the toilet paper if we leave a door open! He was not crated with the previous family so we don't crate him or put him in a room......looks like Meme 's Ginger too.

Hi all....

Mima
11-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh no-another mischievous dog!!! Love dogs!!We still miss Cassidy.
There was a blind man on the bus coming back from Orlando and he had a gorgeous yellow lab. The dog was so happy when the man came back from the bathroom. I love labs. Our tenant has a lab so I get a pet for 6 months.
Forgot to send check for the oil-either that or it got lost. I swear I sent it. 800 $. It won't be that next time.
Got up at 4-getting anxious about the colonoscopy or what they will find, I just had one last year so it shouldn't be too bad. I just want them to get rid of what is making me sick all the time. That's my prayer. I was fortunate I had no more bleeding on the trip.
Went to the health food store and stocked up on bread and cookies. Also bought some fish oil capsules for the inflammation. Hope it works-hate not taking my meds.
Maybe I willl swim today. Feel better candace. Mima

Kate53
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi all from sunny warm Florida! Weather has been unbelievably warm past few days but will return to cooler temps by Sunday night. Unfortunately, the pool water is still to cold for swimming right now and I'm too cheap to heat it!!! (Only when we have guests come in Jan-Feb do we bother with that.) My weight loss has seemed to stall a bit this past week. I started a food log this morning to see where I might be getting some hidden carbs that I'm not aware of. The SB diet has been good for me so far but I am finding this phase 2 challenging. I'm overly concerned with carb intake and find it hard not to obsess with dieting and food in general because of it! I hope your colonoscopy goes well, Mima. I am 55 and have yet to schedule my first one. Hubby had his this past spring and said it was a breeze but I just have this thing about doctors in general. I can't imagine being poked and prodded in places I can't even see! I suppose I will have to relent soon and get it done.
Off to walk "Queenie"....or "her royal highness" as she is affectionately called. Gotta love the life these dogs have....

Joanne D
11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Candice -Christie is spoiled too. If she gets to kleenex or paper of most kinds it is a job getting them away from her.. I have never been one to sleep with the pets.. She loves her crate and heads right for it as soon as she goes out at night.
Mima- I am joining you with the colonoscopy next week. .then they are going to check my gallbladder.. They also tell me I am anemic. I am losing blood somewhere. Haven't found out where yet..I haven't noticed any..My cbc was real low..
Kate - You probably are just at a standstill. Your body has to catch up with your loss in weight.. Keep doing what your doing. A food log is a good idea.. I have always kept one until lately. I have been having some health issues.
Tammy-Meme- I am with you on the hair color. I don't know how bad it will look and 8 dollars is a cheap way to try and cheat age..
Hello happy..
Joanne

Mima
11-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Go for the hair color-I always have mine frosted-they don't even call it that.
The colonoscopy is easy-it's the prep=especially when you have IBS-this is embarrassing but I have depends , Sorry you have to have one Joanne.
I am not going to whine about my foot-I need a shot of cortisone!
Tenant is not putting alll the rent money in. Brad is going to call him.
It's hot here too-went to the pool and hot tub-very nice.
Kate-you are doing great on your weight loss-it could be a plateau-just before I reached my goal in WW-I did that.
Hi everyone, Mima

Kate53
11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I did do a weigh-in this morning and have dropped another pound. I guess it's just me obsessing...I am eating, sleeping and breathing SB right now. I really think that is the only way I will remain focused on losing the weight and getting healthy again. Off to vacuumn the dog hair up around the house! Best to all....

Happy Canuk
11-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Checking in, and I have to be at work by 12:30 p.m. today.

Firstly - Welcome Kate. Congrats on your weight loss. It's hard when you start a diet, NOT to be obsessive about it.

Mima - sorry you are still having problems. I hope the colonoscopy will show whatever it is that is causing this blood loss. That is not good. I can't imagine that it would be IBS. Did you do the Occult Bowel test as well? Is that how they discovered the blood? I hope you don't have problems with this renter as well. Things are getting tougher everyday, and many people are having such hard times. The foot can be a problem. Have you tried standing on the stairs and dropping your heels down? That is an exercise the Dr. said to do. Also, when I that problem, he wrote me a prescription for an insole - a commercial one. I used it for a few months, the problem went away and all is well again.

Joanne - I hope your colonoscopy can shed some light on what your problem is as well. Not good with the anemia that is for sure. I let my hair go naural and I didn't mind it. Then, a couple of years ago, when we were going overseas, I decided to color it again. Next year, I am going to let it grow out and be a "Natural" blonde with lots and lots of silver highlights :lol: I get foils put in now.

Candice - I hope you are feeling better by now. Getting sick is just not fun. Do you all get the Flu Shot? I only ever had one, and I don't want another. They like us to have it at work, and, of course, it's free, but I choose not to get it. If I end up with the flu, well then I do.

Tammy - having somebody working on the feet is an amazing treatment. The fellow that I go to for massage therapy does some Relexology and I love it. Of course, I also need the deep therapy to help break down the knots that form in my back. Hate when he does my legs, because that is the worst pain - nerve pain and I just want to crawl off the table.

Meme- I hope your friend came through the Gall Bladder surgery ok. I remember after having mine out (I was 21 and it was a big incision) every 6 weeks I would be sick to my stomach, and vomit up straight bile. It started off nice and golden, but ended up black. Dr. said it was a "Migraine" stomach. After awhile that stopped and the IBS started. The rest is history as they say. Still have problems with some foods.

Well, have to go get ready to get out of here. Our weather is amazing, up in the 50's. Gee, I remember lot's of Novembers where it was 30 below for a week. Hasn't happened in the past few years. Not a drop of snow yet either, which, in itself, is amazing. Haven't had to wear a winter coat yet either. Today is is 24F outside but heading to 34.

Mima
11-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Glad to hear from you Anne. I have an appt with orthopedic doc on Monday=hoping for a cortisone shot. I will try that exercise. Tripled a foam pad in my shoe at my heel-felt better.
I bled quite a bit for 2 different days-probably frim the nsaid. Talked to my rheumo yesterday-He said to get a rheumo down here. Also said i could take 10 mg of prednisone but not sure if that affected my sleeping. Or was it that movie we saw last night with all those murders??
Went to dinner with my family-Dairy Queen-I even had some ice cream/They are so busy that we only see them once a week. Evan is going to a roller skating bd party and he.s only 4 and a half. Alison has a job at the Broadway theater answering the phone. She needs to dress up so I know what she will get for Christmas. Sh is kind of hard to fit but i have done well in the past.
Our tenant got laid off for 2 weeks-he does try because he borrowed money from his sister tp pay us. But never all of it. I guess that's how the economy affects us-otherwise we are fine. all the news makes me nervous.
We are so blessed that the money in the annuity cannot lose it's value. God takes care of us.
Caniace-feel better. Joanne, Tammy, Kate, Anne, Meme Take care Mima

Candicej
11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Hope you all get your tests done and everything comes out ok;) I get one next year...yuck....it always hurts me, they say the doc starts too soon before the meds kick in.

Mima..DH sold all our rentals, didn't want to deal the not paying thing anymore. Hope you rtummy and foot get better too.

Joanne, seems we are all on the same page with the haircolor! I get tired of doing it though. Hope the find your blood loss soon.

Happy, I always get a flu shot, had the flu 1 too many times and it lasted forever. Glad you can get along without one.

Kate..you are doing great and not obsessing..that is normal with new weighloss I think if you are serious about it. Get the colon checked, my friend who did not just had her colon removed and wears a bag now, and DH just lost two friends (50's to colon cancer)

Tammy..hows that pup doing? and ou of course:)

Meme.. what ya up too?

Gotta get to bed...too little sleep again.

Mima
11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Glad you are back among the living, Candice! I certainly understand why you sold your rentals. We will rent to a woman next time. Now Brad wants to rent the upstairs-trouble is we need the money and don't want to sell the house.
Finally got to eat with 2 couples from church. Great people!
Got my prep stuff-this time a half gallon of gatorade mixed in with a bottle of Miralax. And the other unmentionables. I even had a dream
about it. I think the bleeding was caused by the antiinflammatory med.No bruising anymore.
Are you doing better, Meme-hope so.
I think of you Tammy-hope you are well.
Going to art class tomorrow. Mima

Kate53
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I know Candice, but not being a regular "doctor-goer", I have to get my mind around the whole tests thing. Funny too, as I used to be a CNA and medical assistant! I don't mind having blood drawn because I used to do that for the doc I worked for but all this other stuff drives me nuts. Maybe that's why I didn't work at a dr.'s office too long! My best experiences were working for Hospice. I had a lot of wonderful clients that meant a lot to me. I will give myself a goal for next April to get the test done. It's marked on my calender.....
Mima, I hope all comes out well with your test, (no pun intended!) and Joanne is on the way to recovery. Do keep us posted... Weather has cooled here...down to 50 degrees this am. Still sunny and beautiful though. Will check back soon. Regards to all! Kate

Mima
11-18-2008, 05:59 AM
We have the heat on in the morning!
Went and got a cortisone shot=OUCH! But have some relief. Exercises too! Heel pads. I'm on the mend.
Got very frustrated shopping for Alison-she needs dressy clothes for work-went to KMart and got 3 outfits. For those of you who don't know-she's in a wheelchair and she's 18. Love that KMart.
Art class today-that will feel normal.
Joanne-when are you scheduled. I bought some Depends for such an occasion. Man-I am getting old!!
I am going to try and start a new thread-hope I can get a sticky but if you don't see it=please Meme or Anne. Mima

Joanne D
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Mima- I am having colonoscopy Thursday.. I don't have to take the gallon med. I am taking two small bottles of " explosives" .And then 4 ducolax tabs. Just as bad. The prep is the worst part for me.I look forward to them knocking me out..I just stay close to bathroom all evening on wednesday.
Kate- it was cool here too. It is supposed to get cooler on wednesday..You don't know how much fun you are missing in not having these tests.:dizzy:My sister says never for her..I might lose a pound with this. That part is not so bad.
Candice- I get tired of doing the color job too. I keep saying I am going to stop,but, I must be hooked.Yes ,I hope nothing will upset our going to the daughters for Thanksgiving. We haven't been up there in a year and we haven't seen her in about 6 months.
Happy- I went on line and did a little research on anemia. It looks like I am in the moderate range.. These doctors can really scare us into doing all kinds of tests. I think they work hand and hand with the insurance company.
Hey Tammy ,Happy.. I guess you are a lot colder than I am.. It looks like winter has set in up there, when I watch the weather statiom.
Joanne

Happy Canuk
11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Don't Post Here. There Is A New Thread.