Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Psychology of numbers

Even if weight isn't a huge indicator for you, do you get a little thrill when you see a certain number approaching?

I'm sitting pretty [well, angrily] at 233, and have been for a week and a half. I look at my ticker, and see 229 soooo close. For some reason, those 4 pounds make my mouth water, more than 237 to 233, or even 253 to 249. I'll be looking at my little ticker image all day today, maybe even printing it out and carrying it in my pocket. I desperately WANT that number crossed out in green. Why is that one so important?

Thoughts? Similar experiences?
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #2  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

WELL i had this experience trying to break through 180, i got stuck there for about 8 months, i kept giving up, then re-trying, and giving up. it was a nasty plateau so to finally break it last week was AMAZING. just have to stay strong and try not to obsess....that was my problme i obsessed and gave up :-s, hopefully soon though for you...yay!
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I do have a tendency to get really angry at myself when the numbers don't move, even though the rational part of me knows that a) it happens and b) anger at myself is counterproductive. Right now I'm just staying off the scale for awhile because I've been bouncing around the 185 range and it's making me crazy. I want to get below 180 really a lot and the scale is thwarting me.

The up side to that is that I've been spinning, so I've lost inches, but no weight. Somehow that doesn't make me feel any better, even though it should.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think we need to grab motivation wherever we can find it. I get het up hankering for a three. I don't care if it's the second digit or the third ... I just wanna see it.

Caroline makes a really good point. We need to have as many indicaters of success as we can get our hands on. The jeans, the 3's, the inches, the dumbell weight ... the more we have ... the more likely it is we'll catch one this week or next. And who couldn't use a pat on the back every couple of weeks?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #5  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Oh, absolutely the numbers play a head game with me. I've been at 151/152 since mid-June. Kids are finally back in school, I have more time and am determined to exercise more each week but the scale is stubbornly remaining still. My food needs constant attention and tweaking and for some insane, stupid reason I always get that 'burst of motivation' right before TOM is due. Like, duh why don't I get it way b/4 or after?

I hear you about a certain number. I really want to get into the 140's but I keep wondering if psycologically I'm holding myself back for . . . who knows why! Maybe because it's been like 15 years since I've even seen anything that resembled a number in the 140's. Maybe because when I lose another several lbs the shorts and capris I'm wearing now will just be too roomy and then what will I do? Hey, maybe I was just waiting for the seasons to change so I could wear my new (smaller sized) jeans! I just keep plugging away and have faith that all the hard work and tweaking will pay off and I WILL get to goal. We ALL will!!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Oh, absolutely the numbers play a head game with me. I've been at 151/152 since mid-June. Kids are finally back in school, I have more time and am determined to exercise more each week but the scale is stubbornly remaining still. My food needs constant attention and tweaking and for some insane, stupid reason I always get that 'burst of motivation' right before TOM is due. Like, duh why don't I get it way b/4 or after?

I hear you about a certain number. I really want to get into the 140's but I keep wondering if psycologically I'm holding myself back for . . . who knows why! Maybe because it's been like 15 years since I've even seen anything that resembled a number in the 140's. Maybe because when I lose another several lbs the shorts and capris I'm wearing now will just be too roomy and then what will I do? Hey, maybe I was just waiting for the seasons to change so I could wear my new (smaller sized) jeans! I just keep plugging away and have faith that all the hard work and tweaking will pay off and I WILL get to goal. We ALL will!!
That's me exactly. I want so badly to be in the 140s but I'm also a little scared of it for some bizarre reason. For me I think it might have something to do with those 140s putting me soooo close to goal while I still have this evil little voice in the back of my head saying "you'll never do it". I think I may have issues with facing that evil little voice and being able to banish it forever. My self doubt and poor self esteem have been such a big part of me (and the driving force behind all my excuses) for so long that I'm almost afraid that I wouldn't recognize a new confident me.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

This all reminds me of a thought I had this morning. Weird that it should take me so long to realize it. I was feeling a little frustrated and even a little worried, because the rate of loss has slowed down. I know it's normal. But still ... you all understand.

Then I realized ... I wouldn't trade being 159 and losing slowly (really, just slower not slowly, just feels that way) for being 190 and losing faster, not for a minute. One of those "duh" moments.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Im seeing my revised goal approaching ever so quick now....
im 9lbs away....
while im extremely excited i am also very scared....
scared to start maintenance....
scared to up my food levels....
scared to drop my activity levels....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3l5 View Post
Im seeing my revised goal approaching ever so quick now....
im 9lbs away....
while im extremely excited i am also very scared....
scared to start maintenance....
scared to up my food levels....
scared to drop my activity levels....
Congrats!!! It's exciting to see, because our height, starting weight and goals are so similar. You can do it!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote