Old 09-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default When do I stop feeling hungry?

This is going to be a stupid comment, but I like to eat. I blame it on stress, but I like to eat even when I'm happy.

I've done well counting calories before, but I don't ever remember feeling so hungry. I've been hungry for days now. I ate about every 2 hrs today. Couldn't help it.

Does the hunger stop? If so, when? How long does it take for one's stomach to shrink?

Some people might say I'm actually thirsty, not hungry. No, I'm hungry. I'm not bored or sad, just plain hungry. My stomach is growling.

OK, have I whined enough? : ) I need to go to sleep and not think about the grumbling in my stomach.

Thanks for the help.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #2  
Rah Rah Red Team!

S/C/G: 188/181/135

Height: 5'7"

If I can ask, how many calories are you taking in? And what kind of exercise are you doing (if you are)? You may not be eating enough (as strange as it sounds ). The thirst mechanism can feel like hunger a lot of the time, but if a glass or two of water isn't helping when you feel hungry a low cal snack might be all you need.

Once your body adjusts to getting fewer calories, which is a length of time that varies for everyone, you should never get really hungry unless you burn off way, way more than you eat.

I'm rambling.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give it a few days, with a light snack every now and then, and if you're still getting legitimately hungry, up your intake.

Last edited by LakeEffectKid; 09-07-2008 at 03:38 AM.
LakeEffectKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #3  

Are you getting enough protien?? I find that im hungrier if i cut my protien to low and also if i have too many carbs. I have also found that a protien snack like a string cheese will curb my tummy growling better than anything!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I am also wondering about your calorie intake and exercise, in comparison to your weight. What is your calorie intake, and exercise regime?

Some things that help me:

~Making sure to eat protein throughout the day.

~Eating foods that are high in volume for the calories. For example, a regular Hershey bar is about 230 calories, and we all know what size that it is. For the same calories, you could have 2 eggs and 2 cups of strawberries. LOTS more food for the same 230 calories. If you are feeling hungry, try eating foods that give you more FOOD for the same calories.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

When I start a diet, usually the gnawing hunger fades within about a week. After that, things bounce around. Some days I don't feel like eating more than 1000 calories, others it's hard to stay within my 1500 calorie budget.

Drinking (in my case Crystal Light) does help me, even though I'm not "thirsty" as does eating high-volume foods such as soups and veggies. And lots of tea in the evening (with a little nonfat milk).

I would also agree with the advice to focus on protein and to limit starchier foods, particularly highly processed ones.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi there... good advice already given...

One of the things that has been helping me is to eat a substantial breakfast... For me that means two Thomas's whole wheat mini-bagels, a laughing cow cheese wedge, and 6 slices of Rose's canadian bacon. This costs about 350 calories. But, when I eat it, I'm full until lunch time.

For lunch, I do yogurt, boiled egg whites (which are so low in calories BUT keep me full for a long time) and 1/3 cup of all bran to nibble on. Sometimes I add 2 or 3 ounces of leftover chicken if the piece was too big from the night before.

I guess for me, hunger was solved by selecting "clean" carbs and protein... I hope it keeps working!

Best wishes to you, Curvaliscious!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #7  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I get that hungry feeling when I'm counting calories -- when I'm eating crappy foods. All I have to do is choose nutrient dense foods and things high in fiber then I'm good to go. I add stuff like broccoli, cauliflower and fat free yogurt to my meals/snacks to feel satisfied. I think you'll have to find your own certain foods that can cut into that hunger -the hungry feeling isnt fun and it's not necessary to losing weight.- I already listed some of mine but my 'go to's when I'm hungry are;

bananas
half a whole wheat bagel
hard boiled eggs
source yogurt 35 calorie cups
green beans! (I add them to a meal if I'm feeling ravenous)

(you might need to look at your macronutrients though, different ratios work better for some) I do best at 50-25-25.

Last edited by valpal23; 09-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #8  
Intuitive Eater

I agree with the others, perhaps your calories are too low?

But I also know that eating simple carbs can leave you feeling hungry too. (The point aphil was making.) If your diet consists of lots of simple carbs like white bread and pasta, try making some of your choices whole grain. Fiber keeps you feeling full longer than highly refined products.

A snack suggestion (if you're not allergic and can fit them into your calorie count) is a handful of almonds. They can help with the hunger.

Best of luck!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Also, think about what time of the month it is. A lot of us find certain days before the period starts are hungry days. Some of us go with some extra food than and some don't. But it helps to realize there's a reason for it and it will pass.

As far a shrinking the stomach's expectations, I found the first big change to take about a week, and it got better again a month or so in also.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
I get that hungry feeling when I'm counting calories -- when I'm eating crappy foods. All I have to do is choose nutrient dense foods and things high in fiber then I'm good to go.
Totally agree with this. Getting protein in every meal and snack also helps me.

It's going to be hard for us to give more specific advice, without more info from you. What are you eating? How many calories are you eating? You and I are the same height and our tickers look pretty alike - I started at 237 and my goal is 130. I started out eating 1800 calories a day and lost steadily. Later I dropped to 1500 to continue losing. I still lose at 1700, but very very very slowly.

Can you give us more detail?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I think you have gotten some good advice already- one thing I would add that helped me is breaking your meals up. If you are hungry every two hours, then eat every two hours instead of 3 traditional meals. I eat about every 3 hours or so, and just make sure to keep lots of low cal, high protein things to eat around. Some things I like:
Hardboiled eggs
Low-fat string cheese
South Beach Cinnamon Raisin Protein Bars

And also really upping your water- I find when I drink my 64 oz of water a day I am not as hungry as when I just drink diet soda.
jyvonne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #12  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Curva
First you want to make sure you are eating enough. I don't know about you but for me if I am not eating enough my tummy thinks my throat was slit and it wants to turn everything it gets into fat just in case it never gets anymore food. You have to eat food to lose weight. I happen to eat all the time to get the required amounts of the four food groups eaten a day. There is nothing wrong with that if you can fit all that eating into your daily routine.

Pre Breakfast
workout
Breakfast
Pre lunch
workout
lunch
Pre dinner
workout
Dinner

I make sure I have a carb before my workout and a protein after my workout. Take what you are going to eat for a certain meal, I am sure you have planned what you are going to eat today last night to make sure you have all the required amounts of the food groups covered and you are within your alloted amounts of calories fats and carbs. Break that meal into two. You can eat several times a day this way. Not go over your limits and not really be hungry through out the day. You have to remember it takes time to get use to eating smaller portion sizes. For many of us it wasn't what we were eating, it was how much we were eating at one time. Time really does pass quickly and then your body and your mind are use to the new way you are eating. Good luck.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Thank you so much everyone! I am 5'4" and weigh 248. My goal is to eat 1200 calories, but the last several days I've been eating 1500-1600 or so. OK, so it is close to that time of the month, so maybe that's the problem. Today I'm just cranky and hungry. HOWEVER, I don't feel like eating bad food at all. I just need something.

For breakfast I had 1 egg ad 3 eggs white w/2 TBS of shredded cheese. I also had 1 slice of whole wheat toast. Most days I have a protein shake for breakfast. For lunch I have a low calorie egg salad sandwich (whole wheat bread)or turkey sandwich or a WW meal. I'm eating way more salads and veggies (great for fillers), but not enough fruit.

For exercise, I do the elliptical and love it. I burn 580 calories or so in a session and I try to go every day.

I think I'm just PMSing and am going to eat this computer in a minute. : )
Thanks
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

I bet you could go higher with your calories. How fast are you losing at 1500-1600? I wouldn't even try to stay at 1200 where you are now. That's as low as anyone should go - save it for later when you are really close to goal.

It sounds like you are eating pretty "clean" already. Salads and veggies are a great way to get a lot of volume without blowing calories. Fruit is good, too. Especially right now when everything is in season. Watermelon I was thinking you were gonna say you eat a bunch of 100 calorie packs of cookies or something. So - Yay YOU! Give your body some time to adjust to your plan. And hang in there.

Is the elliptical calorie count what the machine tells you? I usually don't trust those counts - do you have a heart rate monitor? It's more reliable.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #15  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

curv
1200 calories isn't near enough for you. You really should start higher than that. 1200 is a base line of the least amount of calories a body should have a day. Try much higher. Go a few weeks see if you are losing weight. If not drop the calories a bit. I know it is slow but 1 to 2 pounds a week is what is considered healthy weight loss. You may lose more than that at first. Raise your calories up until you are still losing weight.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote