Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #1  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Antidepressant meds and weight gain

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I usually hang out on the South Beach Diet Thread.

I am currently in counseling, and the counselor suggested antidepressants. I have an appointment with the medical doc tomorrow, so I wanted to have some info before I go.

Unfortunately I don't have health insurance so I'm limited in choices because I can't afford to pay $$$ for Wellbutrin. WalMart has a $4 prescription program, and generic Celexa and Paxil are on it, but not Wellbutrin.

If you take Celexa or Paxil, did you experience weight gain?

I'm so afraid of gaining weight on top of everything else!

Thanks in advance!
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #2  
Bonjour!

Wow, nobody in this forum has any comments on Celexa or Paxil and weight gain?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 394/See Wt Tracker!/180

Height: 5"10

Default Maybe some help here...

Hey There Belle Mer,

I HAVE taken Paxil in the past actually I have taken about 13 different anti-depressants and anxiety meds ... and I can tell you that I never had a weight gain because of medication for depression. I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety issues in 1999... I am much better these days, the only medication that I am taking is Xanax and it helps with anxiety which is/was making the depression worse. Paxil is a good low cost med, Prozac is good as well.. though I built up a tolerence to it quickly and I really never felt much better with depression medications. One persons perspective is as good as any others and everyone can react differently to meds... I hope you get some relief ... I will keep you in my prayers!

- Elliott
BldBlue1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #4  
Bonjour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BldBlue1966 View Post
Hey There Belle Mer,

I HAVE taken Paxil in the past actually I have taken about 13 different anti-depressants and anxiety meds ... and I can tell you that I never had a weight gain because of medication for depression. I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety issues in 1999... I am much better these days, the only medication that I am taking is Xanax and it helps with anxiety which is/was making the depression worse. Paxil is a good low cost med, Prozac is good as well.. though I built up a tolerence to it quickly and I really never felt much better with depression medications. One persons perspective is as good as any others and everyone can react differently to meds... I hope you get some relief ... I will keep you in my prayers!

- Elliott
Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,
Unfortunatly I'm one of the ones that has gained weight on paxil. But it was good to get the depression and anxiety in check so I could work on the weight loss and keep on living. And I did lose weight when I tried the South Beach diet. And since everyone is different, there are no guarantees that it will affect you in the same manner. I've just switched to wellbutrin 3 weeks ago, mostly because of some of paxils other side effects and I've dropped 7 lbs and thats with going on vacation and visiting family, I just hope things keep up that way. Oh, and I was on paxil for approx 5 yrs, can't remember when I started, things were a little nuts then.
Good luck to you,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #6  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

I had really good results with Paxil, but I can't tell you about weight gain because I was sedentary and had terrible eating habits while I was on it.
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #7  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

Question Paxil and Weight Gain

I didn't gain weight on paxil..I gained weight on too much food and booze, and lying about feeling depressed and sorry for myself LOL. No seriously, and actually while that last comment sounded a bit smart-assed, it was serious too....anyhow Paxil isn't a terrible drug for weight gain, in fact in some folks it is the opposite and depresses the appetite. Besides once your mood is stabilized, you feel much more able to consider taking charge of the other areas of your life such as exercise and nutrition and then it won't be a worry anyhow!

One suggestion is to take your Paxil at night as it can have a sedating effect, and if you are going to be a bit dozey, better in bed than behind the wheel or at work. If you have anxiety issues, Paxil is also good for that. Remember to give your meds up to eight weeks before evaluating whether they are working or not, it isn't an overnight process. Also NEVER suddenly go off an antidepressant. YOu need to be weaned off them if you are stopping them completely. You need to work this through with your doctor.

I can't comment positively on the Celexa because it didn't work for me at all. Some drugs work better for some than others. It is a process of finding what works for you.

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hope this helps and that you feel better soon!

Last edited by mollymom; 09-04-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: omissions
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I gained weight on Prozac. 40 lbs in one month. I'm one of those less-then-5%-get-this-side-effect people.

I couldn't handle the side effects of Paxil or Celexa myself, but like I said, I get the weird side effects. I didn't gain weight on either of them.

Regardless of all this, there is no way to know if you'll gain weight. Everyone's body is different and medication will effect each one of us in a different way. It's important to get your depression in check. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and take the medication they prescribe. If you end up gaining weight, see if they'll switch you, but dont stop taking your meds!

Good luck!!! Depression sucks, but you can get through this.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

I gained 30 lbs in six mos on Prozac. I have an appt with my Doc tuesday to see if I can start wellbutrin. I work for in Internal Medicine Doctor that swore I wouldn't gain weight on it. I'm now NOT seeing him as a patient and moving along. He's also very rude and mean to me about my weight.

How does the medication cause the weight gain? I found I wanted sugars more while on it. I didn't feel more hungry. I did lose some energy, though.

Does anyone know how much the wellbutrin is, without ins?

Thank you
Kelly
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Talk to your Doctor. Paxil and Wellbutrin are very different medications, you need to take what he prescribes. If he wants to you take Wellbutrin, ask if there's something comparable that's a little cheaper. Every antidepressant works a little differently, what works for one person sometimes doesn't work for someone else. Or what causes weight gain in one person sometimes won't affect another... it's all trial and error.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #11  

Thank you,
Currently I'm still insured. I'm going to ask for 3 mos at a time. Then go from there. My hospital is laying off big time and filing chapter 11. Good ole Michigan. But I've been told I'll be rehired back. So there may be a few weeks without ins. Sigh.
I'm picking my new meds up at the hospital pharm this morning. Excited to try something new!

Hugs
Kelly
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/188/150

Height: 5'9"

I switched to Wellbutrin on Saturday (haven't even been on it a week) and I swear I can already feel a difference. I just feel more...motivated. And I'm not constantly wanting to binge on bad foods all the live-long day. It might just be the placebo effect, but I don't care, I'm loving it!

One of the things I struggled with on Prozac was a lowered energy level and lack of motivation to do anything. Today, I'm going to the gym after work (Body Pump AND spinning class...ugh!). I started to think about ways to get out of it (old habits die hard) and immediately after I though, "No, it will be fun and I'll feel so good if I go". So I'm going. Haven't had a second thought since.

I honestly think it might have something to do with my new meds. Call me crazy (I might be!) but I definitely feel more energized and motivated. Hooray!
cjb0arder13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #13  

cjbOarder13,

I used to get up at 5a.m. to get to the gym by six. I had a personal trainer three days a week. I'd work out with him from 6-7 then treadmil until7:45.
I lost 60 lbs. There were times Id go back to the gym later that night.

The day I started prozac almost two years ago I couldn't motivate myself to do anything let alone get up early and hit the gym. I told the Doc, I work for him, and he shrugged it off saying it wasn't the medication.

I took the first dose today a.m and p.m . No difference yet . I would n't expect it for a few days anyway. I'm so glad that I found another Dr. and stopped Dr'ing with my employer.

I'm also on ritalin. The new Doc increased it from 20 to 30 mgs a day.
Hopefully I find myself motivated again.

I'm very excited to hear that you feel a difference. They say up to a mo to notice. But my prozac hit me the first few days. IT did help with depression. But it killed me weight wise. So I hope the well butrin acts as fast.

I called around today. It's going to cost me 70.00 a mo. Which is worth it if it helps.

Kelly

KellyO
Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #14  

I gained weight on Prozac and I am gaining weight on clomipramine. I think it does something to the sugar levels in my blood, but I don't know the exact mechanism of action so perhaps I'm using it as an excuse or maybe it's real. But I have decided to keep some forms of natural sugars in my diet, like fruits.

If anyone has any advice about this, I'm all ears.
Joslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #15  

Yeah, Prozac seemed to increase my sugar cravings. It was bad.

Joslynn ask your Doc to do an insulin resistance test on you. Many people have high levels making it difficult to lose weight.