Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 07:07 PM   #1  
Web Nana

Smile Steel Magnolias Thread #156

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

WELCOME ALL!

When I posted this it became the 2nd page so I decided to start a new thread. I copied and pasted my last post but lost all the color, etc. Maybe some day I will learn how to do it. Ha! Ha!

It has been a rather quiet weekend, so far. Just finished turning all the clocks ahead. Still have to do the one on the TV which means I have to get out the instruction booklet and read up. Only do it twice a year and my 'remember' isn't that good!

JEAN Hope your toe is getting better. You certainly haven't stopped moving even with a hurtin' toe.

GAIL How is the Queen of Frozen Vegetables doing. Hope the frozen veggies have helped that ankle on the road to recovery.

MAGGIE I sure could use some of your warm California weather today. It was in the teens this AM and will be the same tomorrow. It only 'warmed' up to the mid 40's.

Gloria in MA....heading to the kitchen for a quick and lite supper.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend all!
Old 04-06-2002, 10:45 PM   #2  

I'm bbbaaaccckkk!

I saw these on another forum and thought you might enjoy them. One is supposed to be all WW recipes and the other is George Foreman. Both look like great resources when I checked them out.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/

http://members.aol.com/recipenook/georgeit.htm

Gloria -- thanks for starting the new thread. I wish the count would go to at least 20 as it seems like 15 rolls around pretty fast some weeks. My toe is feeling pretty good today -- I didn't tape it and think the tape may irritate it some when I am on my feet at school. I wore one shoe and one slipper to the funeral -- both were black so doubt that anyone even noticed.

The wind is terrible tonight and the TV keeps flashing wind warnings. I'm glad it's not snowing or we would have a blizzard for sure.

Have a super Sunday, Flowers! See you tomorrow!

Jean -- off to watch the news in Iowa! :sheep:
Old 04-06-2002, 11:25 PM   #3  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

What a busy day we have had here at the campsite and a horrible thing just happened. There was a motorhome that just left and they also left a ******ed deaf person behind. Interesting thing she used to be in the Army as a diesel mechanic. So now she is a disabled vet who can't hear and is in a wheelchair but can talk. The law is here now trying to figure out how to deal with it. All the shelters are closed in this county which is weird in itself. They open in the winter and were closed on March 31. So they will take her to a motel and get assistance for her on Monday with Social Services somehow. Some people! There is no law against what they did for she is not a minor and has an income. It is just totally immoral and rude to the max. They left her with a tent and her bird in a cage.

GLORIA if you go to "edit" before you copy your post it will bring all the color etc with it when you paste it for it will have copied all the codes along with the typed message. Sure hope that helps. Thanks for starting a new thread though and your message was readable even without the color.

JEAN I have to use paper tape because I have a reaction from regular tape. Paper tape is strong and you can get it at the pharmacy in an assortment of widths.

Have a good day tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:01 AM   #4  

I can't believe that someone would leave a disabled person behind. I hope they get the same treatment some day. Keep us posted if you ever find out what happens.

I didn't know there was such a thing as paper tape. I will have to check that out tomorrow.

I am going to bed!

J.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:43 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Default Slow Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a lovely day in the park. There is a soft breeze blowing and I have all the windows open and getting that fresh air from all directions. People are leaving the grounds now and giving us their cans. We probably make $30 on cans each weekend when it is so busy. This week most people were soda drinkers. It is fun to turn them in for free money.

JEAN the doctors introduced me to paper tape many years ago so you should be able to find it where you live. My skin is so sensitive to that other adhesive that it leaves welts. BTW I forgot to mention something about that motorhome - it was also home to a dozen dogs of various sizes and a half dozen cats along with the two adults that lived in it - the handicapped woman had a tent she stayed in ~ smart woman.

Have a great evening ya'all.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:52 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers!
Another weekend has flown by -- why is it the fun days fly and the work days seem to drag on forever? We have had a few drops of rain tonight, just enough to get the street wet. I have been finishing up the laundry and have a pile to iron . . . that may wait until another day.

Maggie -- I'll bet that motorhome has an aroma that follows it wherever it goes. What will happen to the blind woman, do you know? I just feel so badly for her but maybe in the long run she will be better off. It's sad to think that humans will treat another human that way. Speaking of treatment -- it's probably a good thing that we are not raising our kids now. In our newspaper there was an article about a young mother who tied her 2 year old's feet together so he couldn't run around and she could get some sleep. She was charged with child endangerment and her 4 children have been removed by the DHS. When Jason was about 15 months old, he was climbing out of his crib. He was not a good sleeper and would be up several times during the night. One particular night, Bob was especially frustrated with his comings and goings so Bob tied the feet of Jason's pjs together so Jason couldn't get his leg up and over the rail to climb out. We have laughed about it over the years and Amanda just retold the story to her family at Easter. I'll bet they all think we are horrible parents! I keep telling Jason that their baby will have the same sleep patterns that he did -- he didn't sleep all night until he was 5. I don't think it was quite that bad but almost!

I'd better scout out something to wear tomorrow. It is definitely dress in layers because we never know if the heat will be on or not. We have a banquet to go to tomorrow night and on Tuesday night we start a class at church beginning with a supper. I'm not sure if I will have time to go to WW or not since I need to check and see what time this class gets under way.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #7  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Default Monday morning

Hi everyone...settle back and grab a bottle of water...this is going to be a long post...settled in yet? Good.

First of all I had to go back and read the last of the last thread...

Jean, you're right being at home and keeping my foot elevated and iced is so much better than being here at work. My foot is already swelling back up as I sit here at my desk typing this. Its achy...and I'm getting grumpy. How is your toe?

Maggie, I have that recipe book-zine, CREAM OF THE CROP. I've heard others say that that is great recipe and I'm thinking the next time we have family up from Virginia Beach I would fix that. Maybe I'll fix that one morning over the weekend and have the kids over. Who knows...

Okay...caught up with that...

I left off with me going to the grocery store last Friday on the last thread. BIG mistake. I should've stayed home. My foot swelled up and got achy--too much walking.

Wayne and I went to Virginia Beach anyway on Saturday morning. I didn't do any walking really and I was able to prop my foot up down there just as well as if I was home. Do y'all remember me telling y'all that Wayne and I were going on a double date with my fil and latest lady friend? Well...we did. When we arrived at my fil's house, she was there. Her name is Faye. A very nice lady. I want to say this first though--my fil looks wonderful. In fact, he looks better than he has in years and that's going back before the time my mil got sick and passed away. For THAT Wayne is extremely grateful. And my fil seems to be so happy. His friend believes in supplementing your diet with different herbs and eating healthy and I'm sure that is helping my fil. He's lost 6 lbs. since the first of the year; however, Faye says she's gained it because she's cooking so much now! Anyway...my fil looks great, Wayne feels more at ease and THAT I'm grateful for.

Oh yeah...where did we go? We went out to eat. I ate vegetable lasagna--very very good. And then believe it or not we went out dancing...although I only slow-danced with Wayne. We had a great time. My fil and his friend go out dancing EVERY Saturday night. I'm glad they're so active; however, I just don't or cannot see me going dancing every Saturday night--am I fuddy-duddy already?!

We returned home yesterday but I was wore out...and all I did was prop my foot up and ice it. I did some laundry and fixed dinner but that was it...had parmesan chicken btw.

I ate very healthy over the weekend and was able to stay within my points range and I was really happy about THAT.

Now...to catch up with everyone on THIS thread...<remember to drink your water>...

Gloria, I took my bag of mixed vegetables with me to Virginia Beach! Sure did! However, I should've brought them to work with me. Wayne asked me if were still going to eat those veggies after my foot got through with them. Silly man! Told him...noooooooo!

Jean, I bet you're as tire as I am of limping around! I'll check out those websites later.

Maggie, THAT was just horrible how those poor excuse for human beings left that woman behind! Just awful! <shaking my head> How could people do THAT?! Have you heard any news about her today? Paper tape: I use that--my skin is so sensitive to everything these days.

Jean, I discovered paper tape YEARS AGO...DECADES AGO when I was in the hospital for surgery.

Maggie, FREE MONEY?! Good for y'all! Do you flatten those cans out though? Do you have a recycling center--I'm not far from one.

Okaaaaay...back to work...

Gail....wanting to put her foot up really badly right now...
Old 04-08-2002, 01:24 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely morning here- nothing new there. I am going to get some beans soaked tonight so we can cook that White Bean Chili that is in that Cream of the Crop book. We are going to cut the recipe in half and do it in the little Dutch oven. I haven't cooked that one before and will let you know how it turns out.

JEAN you are probably right about that odor following that motorhome. At least while they were here we weren't bothered by flys ~ they all congregated around that camp site. It was absolutely full of flys and we had none. She can probably be eilgible to get into the assisted living housing they have in the county. She seems to know the county pretty well so she may be from around here. The folks she was traveling with are from Florida. The sheriff is supposed to contact us today after she gets situated so we can take her things to her.

GAIL that is so nice to hear that Faye turned out to be someone that you can feel comfortable for your FIL to have as his main squeeze. She sounds like she is good for him and vice versa. After I made that Breakfast Casserole I froze a couple of the servings and they were great for Cowboy to microzap for an early breakfast. He gets up real early sometimes...... It freezes well. Serve it to company with a nice bowl of mixed fruit slices or sliced up fresh strawberries ~ it will be a great hit. It tastes a lot like a sausage casserole I used to make that was loaded with calories and points. Have you made that cover picture recipe yet - mac and cheese. It is good. I sprinkle mine with chili flakes and spice it up. I made it yesterday. OH dear you need your bag of veggies. I bet you get them first thing when you get home. We take the cans to a man who is probably called a middle man who then takes them to the center when he has a truck load. I am not sure where the big center is ~ they do plastic, glass and cans ~ quite an operation.

Have a good afternoon Flowers ~ I'll be back after my meeting with the Iron Monster.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-08-2002 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:25 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
We started out with a cool, damp morning but the sun has come out. I am off to a banquet, with DH, shortly. He is chairman of the board for a local nursing home w/ assisted living apts. and they are having an employee appreciation banquet tonight. Tomorrow night is another night of someone else's cooking, at church. I think my program needs some attention!

Gail -- Grab a wastebasket and get your foot up on it! That's what I do if I can't find a chair that is low enough. Did the doctor ever say to switch to heat? I know by the end of the day, I can tell I have done more walking than I do at home. I am soooo glad that you like your FIL's lady friend and that he is doing so well. I think "keeping on the go" is what keeps them going. I don't ever remember my parents going to a dance but you should see my dad dance now! I must admit, I wondered if you would be eating the veggies that you've been wearing on your ankle! Your are so right . . . I am tired of limping around! I was so in hopes I could get a shoe on this morning but wore my slipper instead. I did change to sandals at noon; they have the soft, cushy sole so they are more comfortable because both feet are the same height. I definitely watch that door now!

Maggie -- Did you just recently get The Cream of the Crop book? I will have to look for it at the meeting. I'm not sure if I will get there tomorrow night or not. Church is at 6 and WW is at 5 so I should be able to make both. Keep us posted on the orphan lady . . . do you suppose she was in on the plan to get left behind? Good luck at WI tonight!

Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers! I am off to find something to wear to the banquet!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day Report

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

JEAN that book has a copywrite of 1999 so I don't think you will be able to get it at your meeting. I will get around to typing out those recipes for you though if you want since I am the one that mentioned them here. I don't believe that woman wanted to be left here because of the way she acted when she wheeled herself all the way though the campground down to the office to report it.

The Iron Monster said I am down another 1.4 pounds. I am really jazzed to keep losing like this. It is work but every bit worth it.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:58 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is out, it's 62 degrees, and it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

It was kind of a funny day at school. (as in strange funny, not haha funny) I really can't explain it but the kids were kind of laid back -- we have one in in-school suspension for skipping out on Sat. school and another one home sick.

We have our class at church tonight. I'm not sure exactly what it is about but DH thought we should go since he is Admn. Council Chairman. It's to last for 11 weeks so it better be good! They have supper at 6 so I'll be curious to see who is doing the cooking for that. I was afraid that it would be pot luck and I sure don't want to come home from school, cook something, and then be gone another 2-3 hours.

Maggie -- Maybe I can find the cookbook on Ebay or even Amazon.com. The recipes that you have mentioned all sound good and Gail says she likes that book too. I hope your orphan lady gets along ok and I hope that she can keep her bird wherever she goes. That is so sad. Congrats on another GREAT loss!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-09-2002, 07:02 PM   #12  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been a great day today. l Temp got to 70+ by mid afternoon. Got out and about this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Itt's supposed to cool down the next few days but not too much..

MAGGIE Another losing week. Yahoo!!! Keep it up, we are all proud of you. It is too bad about the lady in the wheelchair. I hope all will turn out well for her. Maybe it is a good thing that she will be away from the people who abandoned her.

JEAN I hope the people cooking for your class at church are some of the better cooks in the congregation or maybe not so you won't be too tempted to overindulge.
My DH is also on the board of directors for a local assisted living home. Isn't that a coincidence!

GAIL I think it was you who asked how long we will take to get to NC. We are planning an overnight stop at Dover, DE on the way down and will visit the Outerbanks before heading to Raleigh. On the way home we will stop in Baltimore. Really getting excited about the trip. Must get to changing my closets around and check out the warm weather clothes before long. I can't believe it is only about a month away. WoW

Gloria in MA....off to change the batteries in the smoke detectors. Didn't have batteries last Sunday when we changed the clocks.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:11 AM   #13  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It was a great day today. We were out and among 'em and got a lot of things done. I successfuly have finished eating this 18 point day and am not putting anything else in this mouth except water the rest of this evening.

JEAN this may help you get a hold of a copy of that book. It is a Weight Watchers Magazine book put out in 1999. Address all correspondence to Cream of the Crop, c/o Weight Watchers Magazine, PO Box 12847, Birmingham, AL 35202-2847 ; (205) 877-6066. Maybe if you contact them you can get it from them. Hope this helps.

GLORIA what a smart move to change the batteries each time you have to reset your clocks ~ keeps them fresh that way. I can imagine you are getting anxious for that trip. Time will pass quickly and then you will wonder where it went.

Have a great nights sleep all you FLOWERS

Last edited by Maggie; 04-10-2002 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:43 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Feelin' Groovie

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood. The Spanish Broom is blooming and the California Purple Lilacs in the hills. It is absolutely gorgeous here. Pretty soon the huge white Matilaja Poppies will be in bloom and I am waiting anxiously to see those. They are a sight to behold and illegal to pick. It was funny and sad a couple of years one of the gals got married and the floest that did the wedding got a huge fine. The pictures that came out in the paper and used as evidence against her were loaded with beatuiful arrangemens of Matalija Poppies. Made a nice wedding but the fine and losing a lot of respect as a local florest certainly wasn't worth it.

I reviewed my journal for the year so far and am so glad to be able to say that my average points for each day came to 24.6. You know I was aiming to hover around that 25 point range and I did it! I am so pleased. Since I kept my journal so religiously it was fun to go back and crunch the numbers. No guess work - it was all there. Written down each day. Going back through the records reinforced my determination to keep on keepin' on.

WOW and do you realize when this month is ended we will have gone through 1/3 of the year of 2002!

Have a great hump day afternoon.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:26 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's trying very hard to rain with the dark clouds rolling through. We need it badly so I won't complain. DH is at practice -- this Sunday is the "BIGGY" dedication of the church even though it isn't completely done. We are combining 3 services into 1 so I am I will be there early to get a seat. The choir is singing, the bells are playing, the kids are singing, and the individual groups are also singing. It could be a very long service. They are having a pot luck afterwards and I am really in hopes that DH won't think that we need to be there. *sigh*

Our class last night was not at all what I expected although I didn't really know what to expect. The meal was catered in and was good -- chicken and rice casserole, fresh fruit, lettuce salad, and a roll. I did go to WW first and maintained which I guess is ok. We ate and then had a 45 min. video -- it was really hard to stay awake! We ended up in small discussion groups for another 45 min. I think it was about 9 when we got home.

Gloria -- I'll bet you are excited about your trip! I know that I would be and I don't think we will be going much of anywhere this summer. DH is going to Canada for a week in May and then we will do our family resort week in MN. We have 4 or 5 weddings which will take up at least one day of a weekend or two.

Maggie -- I will have time tonight to look for the cookbook - magazine. Thanks for the info! I am anxious to see the flowers start to bloom. The birds have been back for quite a while and the finches are devouring the safflower seed. We've never put that out before and they really like it. There is also a pair of ducks coming so sprinkled some corn for them and corn on the cob for the squirrels. Guess we must be the neighborhood buffet for sure!

I need to get busy -- my dad and mom are on their way to AZ and are supposed to be checking in around suppertime. I'm just not sure if it's our suppertime or their's!

Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread