100 lb. Club - Feel like big foot = Being tall and fat is not fun!!

Findmyself
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Hallo Chickadees!!

I posted something on another thread saying that it is terrible to be fat and tall - and at least one person agreed with me - meaning that I am not alone!! :carrot:

I am 6 foot tall and being overweight makes me HUGE!! The other day I was in a mall and this little boy pointed at me and said something like: "Gush mom, look at her, she is HUGE!!!"

Oh, gush!! Eat me Earth, eat me now!!

Hahaha, at least I took it all in my stride. I know the boy didn't insult me, he just spoke his mind... :nono:

Anyway, I hate being this BIG - I think I can actually handle being fat, but being this BIG is awful.

My brother jokes with me, calling me Godzilla, which makes me laugh (he really is lovely and will never say it if it hurst me), but I hate the fact that I actually resemble Godzilla. If I am in a crowded room, I am a head above 95% of the people there and just feel like an elephant.

The other day I was at a seminar and I sat down and all the people moved away from behind me so that they could see better - one lady (very politely) told her husband that they should move because she cannot see a thing (obviously because I was there).

Sigh, I know we all have weight issues, but all you ladies that is 5'6" - lucky you.

I can't wait 'til I lose weight, to be 'tall' again and not 'BIG'.

Realist
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I am sadly both taller and wider than you. I get what you are saying. But, someone shorter actually looks more round at the same weight as you. Most people I know point out "she's the tall one" if someone doesn't know me. Rather than "she's the fat one". I appreciate that.

djay
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm not AS tall as you but I am tall enough to understand your point. I'm almost 5'10". When I am heavy I am just big! I take up a lot of space.

Shorter woman may be rounder at the same weight...but they can be heavy and cute. A tall girl is never cute. Pretty maybe...but cute usually implies small.

rockinrobin
09-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Shorter woman may be rounder at the same weight...but they can be heavy and cute. A tall girl is never cute

Let me just tell you this - no one would ever consider what I was as "cute". Nuh uh. No way.

It may not be easy being 6 feet tall and overweight, but I am here to tell you, that it's nooooo picnic being 5 feet tall and overweight. I mean when you're THAT short, the weight just doesn't have many places to stretch out over. I was practically just as wide as I was tall. And I'm not kidding.

I used to wish that I was taller, then I wouldn't be so darn wide.

Here we go again
09-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I am sadly both taller and wider than you. I get what you are saying. But, someone shorter actually looks more round at the same weight as you. Most people I know point out "she's the tall one" if someone doesn't know me. Rather than "she's the fat one". I appreciate that.

I totally agree. I would rather be tall, I'm 5'11 than be short. Everyone I've ever told my weight to cannot believe I'm 283. They look at my like I'm crazy when I say I want to lose around 100 more. They tell me I'm going to be anorexic. lol I laugh at them and tell them well we'll have to cross that bring when we get there.

I'm almost as tall as you and I weigh a lot more than you. A lot of time little kids call me big b/c I'm like 4 feet taller than them. It has nothing to do with me and my weight. I'm wear heels and and I know I look good. It's not my fault that people are shorter than me. :) That's how I look at it. I remember I was 5'7 in 6th grade. I met this woman who is 6'3 and she wears 2 inch heels all the time. It totally changed my perspective on how I look at my height. I was actually bummed that I fell short of 6'0. It was my "goal" as a teenager. lol

Have the freedom to be you. You're fabulous just as you are. All 6 ft and 230 pounds!

Findmyself
09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
But, someone shorter actually looks more round at the same weight as you.

Haha, yes, that is very true. I bet if I was shorter I probably would have posted about how round I was in comparisson to taller people. :dizzy:

I am glad that I only have to weigh around 180 lbs to be a 'normal weight (BMI based)' - Some shorter people are still obese at that weight.

My mom is 5'6" and we use to wear the same size (before my fat years) even though I was 35 lbs heavier than her.

Djay - Haha, you are so right - I can be pretty, beautiful, gorgeous - but not cute.

But for us tall ladies out there - we can be tall and slim, which by any account is gorgeous. That is what I am going for. I do not want to be skinny - I want to be slim. Go me!! :carrot:

Here we go again
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Haha, yes, that is very true. I bet if I was shorter I probably would have posted about how round I was in comparisson to taller people. :dizzy:

I am glad that I only have to weigh around 180 lbs to be a 'normal weight (BMI based)' - Some shorter people are still obese at that weight.

My mom is 5'6" and we use to wear the same size (before my fat years) even though I was 35 lbs heavier than her.

Djay - Haha, you are so right - I can be pretty, beautiful, gorgeous - but not cute.

But for us tall ladies out there - we can be tall and slim, which by any account is gorgeous. That is what I am going for. I do not want to be skinny - I want to be slim. Go me!! :carrot:

Yep... you go girl! :carrot:

Findmyself
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm almost as tall as you and I weigh a lot more than you. A lot of time little kids call me big b/c I'm like 4 feet taller than them. It has nothing to do with me and my weight. I'm wear heels and and I know I look good. It's not my fault that people are shorter than me. :) That's how I look at it. I remember I was 5'7 in 6th grade. I met this woman who is 6'3 and she wears 2 inch heels all the time. It totally changed my perspective on how I look at my height. I was actually bummed that I fell short of 6'0. It was my "goal" as a teenager. lol

Have the freedom to be you. You're fabulous just as you are. All 6 ft and 230 pounds!

I love your post - everything about it!! I wish I met that 6'3 woman. When I was 13 I was already at my current height (I am 25 now) - and I was the tallest person in the school - INCLUDING the teachers (men and women)!! - And I hated it. I am okay with it now - just don't like the 'big' part.

Again, thanks for your post - I really do love it!!

Here we go again
09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I love your post - everything about it!! I wish I met that 6'3 woman. When I was 13 I was already at my current height (I am 25 now) - and I was the tallest person in the school - INCLUDING the teachers (men and women)!! - And I hated it. I am okay with it now - just don't like the 'big' part.

Again, thanks for your post - I really do love it!!

No problem, us tall women have to stick together. :) I've been the tallest person many times. Come to think of it, I'm the tallest person where I work men and women, but it doesn't bother me. I just tell them don't mess with me in basketball. lol

I'm curious, what size are you right now?

lizziep
09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a friend who is 6 feet tall and a woman and she said she used to get picked on a lot when she was in middle and high school. i was actually pretty surprised to hear that.
i'm five foot two and since everyone is taller then me i never really noticed that she was EXTRA taller then me. :D now if only I was 9 feet tall then i'd be at my ideal weight already....

i know both the very tall and the very short have a difficult time finding clothing that fits - but sometimes I think that all the plus sized clothes out there ARE made for people who are 6 feet tall because there is always at least a foot of extra material at the bottom of my pants and some times the rise on a pair of pants is so large that for the crotch to be in the right spot the waist has to be up by my bra!!

Findmyself
09-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm curious, what size are you right now?

I am a UK size 20. I think that is around a 16 or 18 in the US - I really am not sure.

If anybody out there can translate what a UK size 20 is in a US size, I will really appreciate it. The last time I lived in the US I was a size 8 - but that was a long time ago....

Here we go again
09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I have a friend who is 6 feet tall and a woman and she said she used to get picked on a lot when she was in middle and high school. i was actually pretty surprised to hear that.
i'm five foot two and since everyone is taller then me i never really noticed that she was EXTRA taller then me. :D now if only I was 9 feet tall then i'd be at my ideal weight already....

i know both the very tall and the very short have a difficult time finding clothing that fits - but sometimes I think that all the plus sized clothes out there ARE made for people who are 6 feet tall because there is always at least a foot of extra material at the bottom of my pants and some times the rise on a pair of pants is so large that for the crotch to be in the right spot the waist has to be up by my bra!!

That's funny! I've never thought of that before.

Findmyself
09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I just looked it up on google. A lot of my clothes are between 18 and 20 UK sizes.

That is between 16 and 18 US size.

rockinrobin
09-02-2008, 02:20 PM

So very true. And what about the sleeves????? Oh my gosh. The sleeves were always soooo long. And the shoulders. Nothing ever, ever laid in the right spot.

Here we go again
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I just looked it up on google. A lot of my clothes are between 18 and 20 UK sizes.

That is between 16 and 18 US size.

Thanks. I've been wondering what I can expect to be size wise. My clothes range from 14-18 US. I think I'm a true 18, the others are the stretchy material.

Are you evenly all over or more of a particular shape? I'm even all over.

thistoo
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Let me just tell you this - no one would ever consider what I was as "cute". Nuh uh. No way.

I'm with Robin; there's nothing 'cute' about my weight, and there never has been. Sadly, I'm just not one of those women who carries her weight well, and I blame it partly on the fact that there's just not much area for the weight to go. Not to mention that the shorter you are, the longer it takes for weight loss to be visible, because you're working with so much less real estate, if you will.

But I can sympathize with feeling like you stick out, even though I'll never know what it's like to be tall. The grass is always greener, right? ;)

Findmyself
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks. I've been wondering what I can expect to be size wise. My clothes range from 14-18 US. I think I'm a true 18, the others are the stretchy material.

Are you evenly all over or more of a particular shape? I'm even all over.

Yea, I also have a few size 16s (US 14) that I wear, but they don't really fit well. :^: I bought them long ago, and I think it is a bit stretched, and therefore I actually can get it on. I know when I am around 211 lbs I am an actual size 16 (US 14) - can't wait.

I am very lucky by gaining weight all over. But I do tend to get a big tummy, The shoulders and everything usually fits perfectly - but I will then struggle to button my jackets and shirts around my waist when I drop sizes.

I am sure you will be around a size 12, or even 10 when you reach your goal at a 190 lbs.

WebRover
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I always wanted to be 5' 10" or taller. I was really disappointed to stop growing short of 5' 7" and at a wacky in-between inches size. I'm shorter than both my mother and her mother. In clothes regulars are too short and talls are too long.

I should just be happy I'm the height I am.

It's funny - at my just over average height for a woman, there are days I get on the elevator and I'm the tallest person and days I get on the elevator and I'm the shortest person.

Apple Cheeks
09-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Hallo Chickadees!!

I am 6 foot tall and being overweight makes me HUGE!! The other day I was in a mall and this little boy pointed at me and said something like: "Gush mom, look at her, she is HUGE!!!"

I can't wait 'til I lose weight, to be 'tall' again and not 'BIG'.

I'm SO with you there.

The comment I hear the most is, "WOW! You're a big girl!!"

Yeah, just what every woman wants to hear, no matter their height. :(

I know for me that being slim won't change that, though. But, at least I won't feel so self-conscious about my size (width).

Like you said, it's hard enough being so frickin tall and always drawing attention, but being tall AND fat is twice as bad!!

grneyedmustang
09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I've been tall all my life. I thought I was big in high school (I wore a solid 14) - but would love to be that size today. That's okay, I'm working on it!!!

All through high school, I had all the names associated with big people - Sasquatch, Jolly Green Giant, Big Bird, Big Foot - all of them.

And to add insult to injury, I wear a size 12 shoe...sigh.

And there's nothing like buying pants - why why why don't designers realize that some of us are over 5' 6"?

Ok, rant over.

chickybird
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I was wearing capris pants looong before anyone else. Mainly because regular pants were just so darn short on me!

djay
09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
OMG! Buying pants! Every store has a petite department with the cutest clothes. There are no tall departments. I have to search every rack for a tall and buy whatever style or color they happen to have. There are no choices...My wardrobe is always mix and match. I usually hit the catalogs. Even there the styles are limited.

I hear from my short friends what a pain it is that they have to hem everything. They don't realize that I can't exactly add on to the bottom of my pants.

Anyone got any good sites that have a good selection of talls?

dkneec19
09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Oh my beautiful fellow tall gorgeous ladies. So good to see us all banded together!!!!!!!! Pants. Yes. YUCK! I'm 5'11". best jeans:Long and Leans from the Gap.

My shape is so weird for my weight it is ALLL in my stomach/spare tire.(and calves) I have really small boobs (A) a really small butt (all pants are baggy in that region...) and I think I'm fairly big boned. I wear a 16...when I was 207 I was a 14, which makes no sense....40lbs lighter and I was only one size smaller. OI!!! I can't wait to actually get past 200 and to see how my shape turns out.

But anyways...so glad to see you all :):)

shelby897
09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
My fellow "big foot friends" -- I have to ask -- your shoe size :D -- Am I the only 5' 9" person who wears a size 12? My mother used to joke I need the big feet to hold up my tall body!!

I find it amusing to be other peoples step ladder -- every time I go grocery shopping I get a poke on the back from some cute little grandma to please grab her a jar of olives, tomatoes, etc. of the top shelf :D

I have to admit it was difficult growing up being 5' 9" in 6th grade and a girl. I have a 5' 2" son (9 years old) and I think it is easier for boys.

I also think there are issues with every size, shape, etc. I shared an apartment with my cousin once who was my height but "too thin" (just her metabolism) and we agreed she heard as many rude comments being thin as I did being overweight.

luvja
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I'm 5'10". My body shape is weird aswell.... I carry most of my weight in my stomach.. I hate it.
I especially feel like a huge sasquatch standing beside small short men!
The other week I was leaving my friends apartment building, and on the way down the elevator a little asian man got on. Omg. He must have been 5'2", 80lbs. I literally felt like a giant. It was horrible.
Big up to the tall girls though, woooo!
P.s. My shoe size is ladies 10.

Trazey34
09-03-2008, 12:48 AM
I like being tall - i'm 5'8 and in heels/boots i'm 5'11 and i like it that way LOL I'd rather be tall and fat than short and fat, at least being tall gives you some room to hide it hahahah

oh yah - and you can't change how tall you are ;)

Apple Cheeks
09-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Yeah, it's hard finding nice clothes. Most of what fits me in stores is "grandma" clothing, unattractive "plus size" tents, or simple tops (sweaters, blouses, etc). Good luck trying to find something fresh and trendy. In 3 years, when the look is outdated, then yes I may be able to find it in my size! And I hate ordering clothes from calatlogs or online, since I can't try them on first and see how they look first.

And yeah, I am very jealous of the petites and even the juniors, since they seem to have the biggest, best selection of clothes.

Talls? Not so much. :(

(P.s. I wear a size 12 shoe, too)

Findmyself
09-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a very small bone structure. That is why I am aiming pretty low for my goal weight.

My shoe size is a UK size 6/7 (US 8/9).

I know that I wear very small shoes for my height. But by no means do I have pretty feet. It looks like pan cakes - all flat and puffy.

djay
09-03-2008, 07:46 AM
There are definate advantages to being tall when it comes to being able to carry a few extra pounds. I know some 5' girls who can't button their jeans if they gain 5 lbs. I have about a 30 lb. range before the size I wear is effected! But that makes me feel even worse about gaining so much weight. It's not like I have to starve myself to maintain 120 lbs. to look good. I can easily carry 170 lbs. off and be considered slim. How did I get so out of control that I couldn't stay below 170?

Well anyway...I'm doing something about it now (with the help of you lovely 3fc chickies)

On the shoe question...I'm not so out of range on that one. I wear a 9.5. I have a daughter that wears a 12 so I know how hard it is. She can never find nice shoes. Department stores don't seem to carry anything over a 10. And when she does find her size, the style looks like it is for an old lady or a drag queen. She routinley tries to cram her foot into a size 11 and her toes are starting to look deformed because of it. I think that is why she never dresses up anymore. Tennis shoes are just easier and comfortable.

GirlyGirlSebas
09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Hold your head up proudly! You are beautiful!

MaNdA22
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
I can relate. I'm 5'10 and I sometimes feel like a football player....just not feminine at all. I hate feeling that way.

shelby897
09-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Djay -- I feel your daughters pain :( -- by 6th grade I wore a size 9/10 and was an 11 by like 8th grade. I actually find the cheaper shoe stores have bigger sizes, I just consider them disposable. I quit dressing up too because I couldn't find shoes that fit and at one point had really messed up my toes cramming into 10/11 shoes. Good luck -- online seems to be best!!

lizziep
09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
My husband is 6 foot 4 and a large guy. The best place we've found is Eddie Bauer for good tall clothes both mens and womens!
We have found that it's mostly just catalog shopping though which is a bit of a bummer.
What I don't get is why the plus sized stores take a one large size fits all large people attitude?! Can't they do talls and petites sections? I don't get it.

Here we go again
09-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow! I love that there are so many tall women! I actually have short legs for my height, I have a really long torso. My sister who is 5'7 has longer legs than I do, but she's ALL legs. I can wear tall pants, but it always looks better when I wear heels. Average are too short. I'm caught in the middle....

Do you girls have a thing about dating shorter guys? I can't get over it! I'll date someone my same heights, but it's still weird when i wear heels. I can't date someone shorter than me.

I think it's the dream of wanting to look up to someone, like my knight in shining armor. I don't know. lol

grneyedmustang
09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
5'9" is my cutoff with the guys. But I really prefer 6 feet and over.

djay
09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't notice how tall men are unless they are under 5'8. I think it is as much of a hangup for the guy as it is for me. I don't imagine they like their date making them look like a dwarf! If a guy is under 6' it is a little uncomfortable for me to wear heels. I know I am tall but I don't like to feel like a giant. Most of the men I have dated were between 5'10 and 6'1".

I love it when I go home and stand in between my brothers! They are 6'4" and 6'5". So I get to feel petite for a little while. I have never dated a man that tall. I think I would really like it.

Here we go again
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't notice how tall men are unless they are under 5'8. I think it is as much of a hangup for the guy as it is for me. I don't imagine they like their date making them look like a dwarf! If a guy is under 6' it is a little uncomfortable for me to wear heels. I know I am tall but I don't like to feel like a giant. Most of the men I have dated were between 5'10 and 6'1".

I love it when I go home and stand in between my brothers! They are 6'4" and 6'5". So I get to feel petite for a little while. I have never dated a man that tall. I think I would really like it.

I feel "short" in my family too. My dad's 6'4 and brother 6'3. I love it!

I dated a guy that was 6'8 before and loved it. It was awkward at times, but it was so cool to be so short!

You would be amazed about how short guys LOVE tall women. I get hit on all the time and all my life by short guys, like 5'4 short. I even tell them, honey I'm way too tall for you so why you hollering, but they just love a tall woman.... it's really sad. lol Flattering, but sad.

Realist
09-03-2008, 06:24 PM
My DH is 6'5"....quite fabulous.

And my feet.....size 13. Ugh. Lots of sneakers are found on these feet, because I can get guys. But, I have bought some decent shoes at zappos.com as well. I don't wear heels much at all for one reason. 300+ pounds going straight down on the balls of my feet is too much to handle.

Apple Cheeks
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
IYou would be amazed about how short guys LOVE tall women. I get hit on all the time and all my life by short guys, like 5'4 short. I even tell them, honey I'm way too tall for you so why you hollering, but they just love a tall woman.... it's really sad. lol Flattering, but sad.

Nah, I'm not amazed. I know it! I get hit on by short men twice as much as from taller guys.

I laughingly call these little men "drink trays" because I could set my drink down on top of their heads on a date. :lol:

Yeah, I've tried to get over this height thing when it comes to men, but it is just way too awkward and weird to date "midgets." For me, a guy has to be at least around eye level.

I don't mind towering over a tall guy when I'm in heels, but towering over a little drink tray just makes me feel like I'm taking my pet man for a walk or something.:o

yoyonomoreinvegas
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't mind towering over a tall guy when I'm in heels, but towering over a little drink tray just makes me feel like I'm taking my pet man for a walk or something.:o

ROFLMAO! :rofl: :lol3: That's priceless!! Okay, so I'm probably one of the "shorties" piping in here at 5'8" but DH is almost 2" shorter than me anyway - and I like to wear heels, tall heels. I'm gonna start calling him "pet" :lol: :lol:

shelby897
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I would have to think the short guys used to like me because when we danced (especially slow), they enjoyed the "view" :D

My husband is 6' 2" and my dad is 6' 5" -- people always wonder why my kids were big babies/tall kids -- I always have to remind them that's all this tall family knows how to make!!

Realist -- I'm heading to your website to look for shoes right now -- thanks.

Iconoclast at Large
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm 5'10", my mom is 5'10", my dad is 6'2", my son is 6'3", and my husband is 5'6"!

Love it!

valpal23
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
being tall and fat in high school now THAT sucked. Now I just relish in how great I feel. Being tall and having the confidence to go along with it is killer. (I'm trying!)

pintobean
09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I have to agree with rockinrobin and thistoo...nothing cute or pretty about being short and fat :( I wish I had few inches on me so I could have just "spread" better. Unfortunately the layers of fat on me just look like "layers of fat." Taller women will also lose weight faster cuz of more muscle :D So you should be proud and happy :hug: Us short women would give anything to be tall. I guess with all of us 'grass is always greener on the other side.' I can totally understand each of us having our own set of things to deal with just because we're tall or short.

As for that woman asking her husband to move so she could see better (I can't say for her)...but speaking for myself I would definitely have difficulty seeing over someone taller than me if that person sits in front of me regardless of their size. Even in theaters I have to switch places if someone taller sits in front of me. I never thought I was insulting anyone cuz I wasn't and to be honest I would get pissed at myself half the time for being so short.

Findmyself
09-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Gush, so many of us tall ladies have the same issues!! I cannot date a shorter man. I tried, but I really do feel out of place when we walk around. I love the 'pet' saying!! EXCELLENT!!

Whenever somebody wants to set me up, my first question is ALWAYS - how tall is he??

My brother is also 6'4 and my dad is 6'3.

Realist - WOW, your husband is very tall - Fabulous!! - Does he have brothers??? :) jk. :)

A friend of mine went to Germany, and she says that almost all men there are giants (she is only 5'4)... Mmm.. maybe I should pay a visit one day... :)

Findmyself
09-04-2008, 07:39 AM
As for that woman asking her husband to move so she could see better (I can't say for her)...but speaking for myself I would definitely have difficulty seeing over someone taller than me if that person sits in front of me regardless of their size. Even in theaters I have to switch places if someone taller sits in front of me. I never thought I was insulting anyone cuz I wasn't and to be honest I would get pissed at myself half the time for being so short.

That lady was really very polite, and didn't insult me at all by moving... It just made me feel like a giant. Like one of the other chickies said, I just feel like I take up SO much space - or like another chicky said - I do feel like a football player - just one of those things that grieve me about being tall. :dizzy:

Yup, the grass is always greener on the other side. My previous boss use to say "the reason why the grass is greener on the other side is because there is so much more cr** there"... Mmm.. maybe he is on to something. :devil:

Here we go again
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Gush, so many of us tall ladies have the same issues!! I cannot date a shorter man. I tried, but I really do feel out of place when we walk around. I love the 'pet' saying!! EXCELLENT!!

Whenever somebody wants to set me up, my first question is ALWAYS - how tall is he??

My brother is also 6'4 and my dad is 6'3.

Realist - WOW, your husband is very tall - Fabulous!! - Does he have brothers??? :) jk. :)

A friend of mine went to Germany, and she says that almost all men there are giants (she is only 5'4)... Mmm.. maybe I should pay a visit one day... :)

That's so funny! It's the first question I ask too. I like the little pet and um yeah if you can use them as a coaster they are too short!

shelby897
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Funny thing is -- when I was thin, I never thought of myself as tall but now that I've gained about 100 pounds, I hate it because I feel like I don't "blend in" because of my height and I can't hide my extra weight.

Cokia
09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
lol This thread has been great! I'm 5'10ish, my husband is about the same, but ALL of my friends are little girls, and I always feel like godzilla around them. We joke about it. My dad was 6'7 and my mom was 5'4 and I ended up somewhere in the middle.

This is a picture from last year of us (i'm the blond) they all had shoes (like 2-3 inch heels) and I left mine off and I'm still taller! lol

djay
09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=pintobean;2346497]" Taller women will also lose weight faster cuz of more muscle [QUOTE]

Huh? Never heard of anything like that and I certainly haven't witnessed it! Can't see where the muscle /fat ratio is any different for tall vs. short. There is more of both on a taller person. My weight is comming off slooooowwww!

There are certainly advantages...I mean like I can gain 10 lbs and no one will notice!:) My short friends don't have that advantage...but on the flip side...I can loose 10 lbs. and no one notices! :( Took a 30 lb weight loss before anyone even noticed!:?:

Hyacinth
03-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh, how I love this thread!

I was just reading a "deep" post by someone about the real motivations for weight loss, and I started thinking about height and weight. I am 5'11" and it has always been a thorn in my self-esteem. I am pretty, intelligent, and pleasant. I've NEVER been called "cute", but I can live with "pretty". I think as I grew up, my personality developed into a passive and easygoing person to compensate for the fact that my body easily made others uncomfortable.

In addition to being tall, I am very large boned. I wear a size 12W shoe, and my hands are always much larger than the hands of men who are my height. So even when I do lose all my weight, I will still be an "amazon" and will likely continue to make some petite men uncomfortable simply by the amount of space I take up. And I don't have those awesome amazon legs, either ... I have an hourglass, long torso instead.

I've heard "amazon", and people (mostly children) say "you have big feet/legs" or "you are really big". My favorite was in Mexico last month - a Hispanic man trying to get me to purchase clothing from his store said, "Hey, Big Lady, we have your size too!" :shrug: I truly believe that he didn't mean it as an insult, because the culture in Mexico didn't seem to detest tall women like I feared it might.

I come from a shortish family who, unfortunately, equates "desirable" with "petite". Thus, I have always felt less desirable because of my height. THANK GOODNESS I found a different world since then.

I had a coworker who was taller than me, a few years older, and very at-peace with her height. She frequently told me humorous stories of her retorts to people who comment on her height. My favorite was when a man commented that her feet were bigger than his. Instead of shrinking in shame like I might've done, she said "well, we know what that says about YOU!" She had fun with it, and it didn't make her any less feminine! She gave me shoes of hers that she'd purchased but didn't want for one reason or another.

I also had a shift in thought recently. Instead of being mortified by my lovely, strong stature, perhaps I could embrace it. While I've always been more cerebral than athletic, I never have to struggle to do a lot of things others do (lifting boxes, opening jars, etc). I just think about how wonderful it would be if I could take my superhuman female stature and do superhuman things with it ... maybe become as athletic as I can possibly be, imagine that? I'd really rock at roller derby! :)

Tall people can lose and gain weight quickly, but it's just not as noticeable. Nine pounds on a 310-pound person is NOT that much, when you think of it in terms of the ratio of total weight. That said, nine pounds isn't even noticed on my body. An 80-pound loss is significant, but it likely looks far more dramatic on a shorter person.

I have a son who is a fabulous 6'7" and who loves dating tall women. :D I'm not entirely opposed to dating someone shorter than me, but on the few occasions that I have done so, the guy SAID he has no problems with it, until we get dressed up to go out for a night on the town and I wear heels.

Guess who else is a TALL woman? Michelle Obama! My first thought upon noticing her height was, "GOOD, now maybe shoe makers will start including sizes that The First Lady can wear!" She brought flats to the White House! Everybody says it's about her being "casual chic", but I suspect it's because she's like the rest of us and doesn't feel like having her ears pop. :)

Trazey34
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm 5'8 and a smidgen, so when i wear heels i'm close to 6' and I have to say, if I had my d'ruthers, I'd STAY TALL - you can HIDE a lot being taller LOL I'd rather be tall and SLIMMER, sure, but the weight I am now, if I was 5' i'd be a weebil - i'd wobble but not fall down :D

Amber1011
03-15-2009, 08:25 PM

OMG I HATE that. I make that comment all the time. Will the world realize that there are short fat girls? I never had the money to tailor pants, so I was stuck with looooonnnggggg pants (still am). Sometimes I find some good ones, but its VERY hard.

about the 'cute' thing with being short- I HATE that. Sometimes it makes me feel 6 years old when people call me 'cute' being so short. ITS SOOOO annoying!

And to the tall gals- atleast you have more room for the fat to go! All my fat just piles on in the same places.

DCHound
03-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Shelby 897, I am only 5'8" and I wear a size 13 shoe. How's that for fair??? Whenever I'm in the one store around here that carries women's 13s, the other ladies who shop in that section are all well over 6 feet. I might come up to their chin. I can never, ever, EVER find shoes to fit. I have to special order almost all of them. And that's so expensive.

Windchime
03-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd love to know where you are all shopping that the sizes in the Women's department would fit me for length! I'm 5'11" and need a 33 or 34 inch inseam, and that's basically unheard of in the women's department at least around here. Admittedly, I live in the middle of nowhere so there isn't a lot to choose from (and nothing high-end at all). I'm stuck in the middle of the misses' sizes being too tight, but the Women's sizes having gobs of extra fabric in the crotch area and the inseam way too short!

Honestly--I didn't mind being tall so much when I was thin, but I hate it now. And for all you ladies who think you'd want to be my height, imagine if nearly every man you met was 3 to 4 inches shorter than you. It basically disqualifies me from dating, ever, if I want someone who is as tall or taller than me.

How many of you were the tallest girl in high school? I was; I think there was maybe one girl who was as tall. I don't remember hardly any boys being over 6 feet tall. How things have changed in just one generation! One of my sons is 6'4 1/2" and many of his friends several inches over 6 ft tall. I feel almost normal when they're all standing around in my living room!

Oh, and for girls (like me!) who wear over size 10 in shoes--check out Zappos online. It's been a godsend for me.

Hyacinth
03-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Can you look online for a clothing company that could meet your unique needs in terms of inseam? Otherwise, I'd consider buying the plus sizes and going to a tailor. I have no idea if a tailor is costly or not, but my friends who use them swear by them.

My tall friend who has long legs seems to find a brand/size that works, and buys that particular style in multiples.

And YES, our dating pool is smaller. Period. I once dated a 6'4" guy who weighed 300+ pounds, and he could lift me. What a rare joy that was!

Windchime
03-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Can you look online for a clothing company that could meet your unique needs in terms of inseam? Otherwise, I'd consider buying the plus sizes and going to a tailor. I have no idea if a tailor is costly or not, but my friends who use them swear by them.

My tall friend who has long legs seems to find a brand/size that works, and buys that particular style in multiples.

And YES, our dating pool is smaller. Period. I once dated a 6'4" guy who weighed 300+ pounds, and he could lift me. What a rare joy that was!

I don't know if you were specifically replying to me, but it's difficult to lenghthen most pants as they don't really leave enough fabric at the hem for that. Like your friend, I just try to find things that work and then get a couple of them. I bought a pair of pants last fall that were 16W and they were too tight (what was I thinking!??) but they fit now (yay!). Anyway, they seem to be considerably longer than the gray ones I bought--same style--that were a size bigger. Grrrrr!

As far as tall guys--yes. I used to see a guy who was around 6'3" and was it ever nice to have him pick me up and tease me! I also dated a guy who was 5'9" and we were so comfortable with each other that the height difference didn't matter. My ex was 5'10" and it didn't matter so much with him, either. But a lot of guys are not comfortable dating someone taller, and I'm not always comfortable feeling like I'm towering over a guy. As far as heels--forget it. I would love to wear them but there is no way, as I already feel that I'm the hulking presence in the room in my flats!

miss scarlett
03-16-2009, 12:18 AM
OK, I love this thread so much I want to marry it and have its big tall babies!!!

Just to catch up with everyone who has already replied- I'm 5'10", large bone structure, 10.5 narrow shoe (which nobody actually makes, of course... but I love my skinny ankles and feet! gotta start somewhere! haha!). Definitely discriminate against guys under 6'. Yes, I know its totally superficial, but a girl's got enough to be self conscious about! love looking up to someone for a change, you know?

Macy's has a great women's dept.- lots of tall sizes!!! My biggest problem? Shirts and jackets. Length is always too short, especially sleeves! Kills me. I carry most of my weight in the front- boobs/stomach... and hips... thighs... ok, well, maybe it is all over! :) I still rock heels, but try not to go higher than 3".

I definitely was one of the tallest girls in HS. I am so mad at myself though- I weighed 168 in high school. 168! Totally normal, healthy weight for a 5'10", large framed, Amazon princess... yet I thought I was massively huge bc I was so tall and stacked! Oh, if I knew then what I know now...

Windchime
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I definitely was one of the tallest girls in HS. I am so mad at myself though- I weighed 168 in high school. 168! Totally normal, healthy weight for a 5'10", large framed, Amazon princess... yet I thought I was massively huge bc I was so tall and stacked! Oh, if I knew then what I know now...

My local Macy's has a tiny Women's department, but I did find my favorite pants at a Macy's in a larger town.

I weighed 155 in high school. One Fifty Freaking Five. And I thought I was soooooo fat because all the other girls weighed 120-something. Hellloooo, I am about 6" taller than all the others! I remember after high school weighing 165 and going on a diet with my friend so we could lose five pounds and get out of the 160's. Sheesh. Oh well; I guess that just shows that sadly, I haven't ever really been satisfied with my body even when it was at it's best!

willow650
03-16-2009, 09:59 AM
My mom is 6ft tall and even though she was over weight, she always had the most awesome legs, but bless her heart, she carried all her weight in her belly and butt. My mom suffered a massive stroke last May and while she was in her comma, the nutrition lady came in, asked me if I could answer a question about some info in her chart. I said sure, she asked "how tall is she?" i said she is 6ft, the woman looked at me funny. She said, "well i saw that in her chart and thought it couldn't be right" I moved so the lady could get a better view of my mom, ans said "look at her, she takes up the full length of the bed" We all good a pretty good chuckle out of it. As a teen she hated being tall because everyone refered to her as 'big' of course they ment tall but she always thought she was fat but she was 6ft and 120lbs at 16, there was no fat any where.

niekka
03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow I guess you never really think about how weight effects taller people when you are short and vise a versa. I am 5' 3" which may not be really short but at 235 I feel like bowling pin and any second someone is going to knock me down. I would always make comments like got I wish I were taller so the weight would be more distributed aroung my body.

dcslm
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I'd love to know where you are all shopping that the sizes in the Women's department would fit me for length! I'm 5'11" and need a 33 or 34 inch inseam, and that's basically unheard of in the women's department at least around here. Admittedly, I live in the middle of nowhere so there isn't a lot to choose from...

I wear a 36-inch inseam and have had good luck buying jeans from both Old Navy and Gap (they offer "tall" sizes online). There is also this website http://www.tallwomensclothes.com/ for the catalog Long Elegant Legs. Yes, the name is cheesy and it's a bit pricier but they have really cute clothes, especially dressier items. I also sometimes have luck with Victoria's Secret online. Hope this helps!

Hyacinth
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I weighed 155 in high school. One Fifty Freaking Five. And I thought I was soooooo fat because all the other girls weighed 120-something. Hellloooo, I am about 6" taller than all the others!

Yes, yes! This was the case for me, too. I remember being a size 12 at 155 lbs, and being embarrassed because when my friends talked about size 12 with shock and horror, it was because that was SO large for them!

Windchime
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes, yes! This was the case for me, too. I remember being a size 12 at 155 lbs, and being embarrassed because when my friends talked about size 12 with shock and horror, it was because that was SO large for them!

Yes! That was me, exactly. There was another girl in my group of acquaintances (we'll call her T.) and she was almost as tall as me. She was (and still is!) very beautiful and slim. Another girl sidled up to me and whispered, "Did you know that T. wears a 13?! That's the biggest size!" I was shocked and didn't know what to say, because that was the size I wore, too.

People can be so mean.

Windchime
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I wear a 36-inch inseam and have had good luck buying jeans from both Old Navy and Gap (they offer "tall" sizes online). There is also this website http://www.tallwomensclothes.com/ for the catalog Long Elegant Legs. Yes, the name is cheesy and it's a bit pricier but they have really cute clothes, especially dressier items. I also sometimes have luck with Victoria's Secret online. Hope this helps!

Many places that carry talls only carry them up to size 14 or 16 which is a little snug for me right now. I went to the url that you mentioned and the first pair of jeans I clicked on.....comes in my size! Woooo hooo!!!! I see that they also carry 39 inch inseam. Wow, that's one tall, elegant gal that can wear a 39 inch inseam!

Thanks for the link!

NicoleeOlee
03-17-2009, 12:38 AM
It is so good to see so many other tall beautiful women! I am new to this site and this thread alone is reason enough to join... It's nice to see so many others in the same boat. I am 6'2:) It took me years but i have learned to love it. Learned to embrace it - I have turned it around and it is now actually where some of my confidence stems from. It does help that every one in my family is over 6 feet:) Not that i don't have my moments where i feel like i am taking up too much space but I think everyone (at whatever height or size) has insecure moments i try not to let mine last for long. Good luck to all the tall girls out there! Thanks for all the motivation!!

Hyacinth
03-17-2009, 01:25 AM
@Windchime: I had a similar experience just a month or two ago. I was going on vacation with a friend who had recently gained weight and went from a size zero to a size ten. We were going to a beach destination. She'd posted on a message board, "Do you see people in size-10 bathing suits on the beach there?" Umm, gee, I sure hope so, because they're about to see a person in a size-24 in a bathing suit on the beach there! Size 10? Oh, the luxury.

JML
03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm tall too. At 5',9:, I'm too tall for misses clothing and my legs are too short for tall pants. But the rise on even tall pants is almost always too short to fit me because my height is in my body, not so much in my legs. It seems like clothing makers forgot about people shaped like me when they designed their clothes. I hate shopping for clothes, end up trying to make things work that are uncomfortable and don't fit properly, and usually wear the same items over and over and over again. Aughhhh!!

Findmyself
03-17-2009, 05:28 PM
YEA to all the tall ladies!!

I think it is TERRIBLE to be tall and fat... but I also think that there is nothing more beautiful than a tall, slim lady.

People use to ask me ALL THE TIME, if I was a model... But, sadly, I also thought I was fat at 142lbs. Now my ultimate goal is more than my 'then fat weight'.

I can remember that I was always on a diet when I weighed 142 lbs - I was always in persuit to weigh 130, my MAGIC number... And guess what?? I dieted my way to 245 lbs!!

But I am on my way back down again.

Good luck to us all!!

nelie
03-17-2009, 05:32 PM
I always marvel at tall women. I guess I've never seen tall as being a bad thing. Sometimes I stare at tall women (generally ones that are a little chunky rather than skinny) because I think they are truly awesome.

coachie
03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
For the longest time, I never really considered myself that tall. I always wished I was taller, I guess....for the sake of athletics. Being tall certainly has given me the luxury to carry more weight. No one would guess I weighed what I do by my looks.

Tall men, now they are hard to find. Luckily my wonderful husband was perfect for me in every possible way and came in at 6'5".

Iheartsushi418
03-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm tall as well, and my husband is 6'4" and our son at 3 years old is probably as tall as some 6 and 7 year olds. Once we walked into a resturant and every one stared (well they always stare) and for some reason I could not stop laughing. My husband asked me what I was laughing at and I said everyone looked at us like they thought we were going to eat THEM. Ever since then I can't help but chuckle a little bit when I see people staring at me. Sure they stare because I am a large woman, but you know they stared when I was thin also. So I'm never going to be a little pixie of a woman...but I can be Wonder Woman.

Naughtymonkey01
03-18-2009, 12:28 AM
ha ha i agree and no one ever feels sorry for the big & tall girl. they always feel bad for the shorties when they get hurt, and were told to suck it up. LOL

tangerinedream
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
it's so refreshing to talk to a group of similarly shaped ladies!
i feel like maybe i'm over reacting, compared to some of the other entries i might be considered average, but i feel at 20 years old i'm too big to function in normal society
my obsession with my supposed "amazonian-ness" is ruining most of my relationships and goals i had for myself because i can't leave my house for fear of public ridicule
i joined this site because i found this thread googling "big and tall"
were any of you my size when you were my age? this is supposed to be when i'm in my best condition of my life, i shudder to think of what the rest of it will be like
i take every sideways glance, double take or giggle behind my back as a personal insult, i seem unable to believe that people are able to look at me without make harsh judgements about my physique
any tips for coping? how do you stop caring when people make insensitive comments?
ps. i haven't had much ridicule/teasing to my face in my life, hardly anybody says anything about it. but i see when people stare.. people (like my boyfriend) say i'm beautiful and i honestly believe they're lying, to spare my feelings
anyone else experience or overcome such crazy insecurities?

thanks!!

Kay7jay
02-04-2012, 10:45 AM
tangerinedream, this thread is from back in 2009 so some of the ladies that were posting aren't around anymore.. but welcome to the forum!

We've all had insecurities. I'm in my twenties also and go from hating that I'm tall to loving it and back to hating it.

I honestly haven't found a way to stop caring when people make comments. One of my co workers asked me when my next prenatal appointment is. I'm not pregnant and he knows I'm not.. That was more a comment about the weight and less about my height, but he is maybe 5'6 and 100 pds so I felt like a giant.

I really would rather not date someone that's barely as tall as I am and I won't date anyone shorter. Which is a real shame, since I know a lot of really wonderful "average height" guys. It's my own hang up, since I get hit on a lot by shorter guys..

Your boyfriend DOES think you're beautiful! Guys are very visual and especially young guys don't get with girls they aren't attracted to.

As for the feeling like everyone is staring at you part-

Unfortunately we're not as important as we think we are! People don't really care how tall we are or how big we are, and rarely give it more than a passing thought. You might feel like the spotlight is on you, but really people are going about their own days and are more likely thinking about their shopping list than your height.

As for the best shape of your life, you can be that at any age. Maybe you weren't that naturally small 110 pounds and 5'2 18 year old, but you can work out and get to be that gorgeous tall 21 year old. Short girls get stuck in the cute area, but tall girls can be gorgeous and statuesque. Who wants to be cute anyways :encore:

Anyways I hope you enjoy the community here!

my2cats
02-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I really enjoy being tall - but fat and tall I feel like a giant. At times if I'm out with a gaggle of 5'0" - 5'2" friends I'll make a comment like "Well I feel like I'm chaperoning an elementary school field trip". I literally have to lean over to hear them! That drives me nuts. But given the choice, I'd stay tall.

That said, I love being called "cute".. it's happened once, and was more in comment to my personality/the situation, but I still wouldn't mind it more often. ;)

And typically I don't pay much attention to other people's height unless they are so short I have to constantly lean over to talk to them, or they're taller than me. The latter because it's rare-ish so that is the distinguishing feature I remember ('holy crap, I'm looking up at someone!' :lol:) But it's not in a negative/judgmental way, more of an appreciative mental note.

Edited to add - UG! I totally relate to the "Friends talking about size 12 with horror" statement. I remember in college I had a friend talking about OH MY GOD so n so is a Size 12 (on the phone). Well, the chick was my height and looked amazing / slender, so in some ways that made me feel better (I was a 14), but the shock of the "Size 12" number to some people has stuck with me.

squiddle
02-06-2012, 04:52 AM
im very.. lumberjack-esque.

im 6ft and have a large frame. i get all sorts of ignorant comments from adults, almost on a daily basis. i feel like a linebacker sometimes. i carry it pretty well though. but i do feel like a monstrous human being sometimes.

i had one man approach me and tell me i shouldve been in the military because i would, wait for it.. scare the enemies away. gee thanks buddy. not from my face or something like being ugly, but because im a huge individual. i wish i knew what it was like to feel petite, just for once. i never will. underneath the fat is still a very big boned me.

i embrace my height, not my fat. so im trying to get rid of it so i can be the best me possible. :smug: slowly but surely, we'll get there.

jenjulia
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. Some people are so mean and ignorant. Really.

I'm 5'11 and being tall is both a blessing and a curse. I love that I can see in a big crowd and that I carry my weight well.

I don't like that it's hard to shop for long arms and legs (women's sizes are designed for shorter women who carry their weight in their tummies rather than their butt). I don't like being taller than most women and a lot of men.

I feel huge compared to most people and like the rest of you...being a size 10 or 12 is the smallest I'm going to be. Those comments in HS were mortifying and I have hated my body for years because of the comments. In HS I weighed between 136 and 148. Size 10. I thought I was SO fat! lol. I've lost 51.8 lbs and I tried to try on my HS prom dress and it came to my upper thighs.

The other hard thing about my weight/height is that I have a very curvy figure but I'm tall. When you read those articles about what to wear vs what not to wear they never address tall women who have an hourglass (or close to) figure. I carry a lot of my weight in my breasts, hips and butt. So not only am I self-conscious about my height, I'm self conscious about my chest.

I wear a size 14 and am starting to fit into a couple size 12's now. I wear a size 10.5 to 11 shoe depending on what brand. I like high heels (2-3"") and wear them most days even with jeans. I feel that people will stare at me no matter what and I feel more confident/powerful in heels (which probably sounds stupid but it's true).

I read on a bodybuilding website that the reason shorter men stare/are into taller women is because they wish they had the height. They wrote that they married taller women so that their children would be taller.

tina3069
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey ladies! I read this thread and couldn't help but smile. Unless you are of an average height I think we have to deal with these body issues. For all of you who hate being tall and "big" I am sure there are lots of women who hate being short and "plump." I am one of the short ones at just 5 feet tall. When I am at my heavy weight I feel like an oompa loompa. NOT GOOD! No matter what weight I am I always have trouble buying clothing. People make comments constantly. I am a nurse and people seem to equate my height with age. I am constantly hearing "are you sure you are old enough to be a nurse?" Nope, I'm 14 years old......they were handing out nursing degrees at middle school graduation so I just took one. I think us short and tall girls have more in common than the average height girls. :) Big hugs to all! :)

reallystruggling
04-30-2012, 03:44 AM
I absolutely agree to the "im very.. lumberjack-esque" comment.
I'm 5'9 with HUGE shoulders so it can be very difficult sometimes, plus i'm currently living in asian where EVERYONE IS ******* SHORT AND TINY.. I swear, most people here are 5'4 and under...

the major plus size i see in being tall is that, when we lose all our weight, we'll look so much better than a short person... who agrees?