Exercise! - Cool Runners --- September thread!

KimProbable
09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I haven't seen a September thread started yet so I'm going to boldly start one. It bodes well for my running this month if I take the initiative, right? ;)

So after 13 days off, I've done 2 days of running in a row. Today I did an almost 5K loop around my neighborhood and it was quite nice. It was a really different feeling doing a non-training run and I found it really relaxing to just focus on my form and push myself a bit. Near the end of my half marathon training I started to feel like I was over-using my quads because of tightness in my hip flexors but I really didn't want to start messing with my form that late in the game. Now I'm trying to open up my hips and use my glutes more. I'm also focusing on keeping my forearms tucked in more and moving forward and back rather than crossing in front as I tend to do. Hopefully all this will come together to result in more efficient running, better times, and less leg pain!

Speaking of time, I have to share my one annoyance from tonight's run! I've set myself a goal of making 5K in under 30 minutes. I know I can do it but it's just not something I've achieved yet. Tonight I had an issue with my Garmin (I forgot to clear off yesterday's run so it was cumulative time/distance for both runs!) and I didn't know what my time and distance were until I got back home. I was at 4.7K in 30:30. Gah! I was kicking my butt for not having kept closer track because I so could have pushed that tiny bit more. Ah well, I guess that's a good reason to run more!

Tomorrow night I'm thinking of going to be a group leader for a clinic run at the store where I did my clinic. There's a 10K clinic that's about half way through and they're looking for volunteers to run with the group to keep up morale and make sure nobody gets left behind. My running buddy has encouraged me to go to encourage those not-so-tiny runners ("Hey, if I can run a half-marathon at 196 lbs you can run 10K at 180!" :D ). I'm interested in doing it to keep up my motivation with a weekly commitment, but there's a part of me that feels intimidated. I'll let you all know how it goes!

(I tried posting this last night but it didn't work, so here's hoping it works this morning!)

Mrs Snark
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Kim -- I think you should definitely go be a group leader at the clinic! What a great way to stay involved and provide inspiration to others while inspiring yourself! Definitely don't be intimidated!

The last few days are a blur (sad stuff going on at home), but I remember seeing that Hadaad rocked a 10k, CONGRATULATIONS!

I ran this morning and it was sooo humid. Even my hands were dripping with sweat within just a couple of minutes. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to cooler, winter-ish weather. Summer just can't end fast enough.

freethetoys
09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
wanted to ask some advoce form the runners thread.....

im a runner, sort of a i think of my self as a fake runner. I really enjoy running, and i can run a fair way without having to start walking, but i cant run non stop YET. I went for a run last night and i think i ended up doing about 3 miles, which in k is 4.82 which is pretty good for me. Thats about 90% runing 10% walking i will add.
But i was wondering to loose weight, what is the best running pattern in a week? short distances daily? or long distances every couple of days?
I really wanna shift some lbs for a challeneg im doing, so im willing to step up my exercise now, but thought i would see which would be most effective from the people who know best.

hadaad
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes. I haven't been on here in awhile (work has been kicking my butt) but I did run 10 km on Saturday as part of the Nike+ Human Race. I was amazed to find that I did it in 57:30. I was also amazed to discover that was about half the distance of a half-marathon. I could do it. I'm sure I could.

I just don't want to think about the shape my legs would be in if I had to do it... say... tomorrow.

Viatre
09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey guys!
I hope I can post in this thread often this month (ie I run often!). I'm just a starting out jogger / walker / runner, but I'm working at it. I just got back from running at the gym. I was really excited - it was my first time to really work out after a necessary summer off and I ran pretty well for me. I ran a total of seventeen minutes, including two five minute segments at 5.5 speed and a 3 minute jog at 6.0 speed! I didn't want to push it to much on my first day back so I didn't run any complete miles, but I'm really itching to see how fast I can run one now. My best time last year was about a 9:40 mile and I really want to get under 9:00 before Lacrosse season really picks up. I would be in heaven if I got an 8:00 mile, but it's too soon for that one.

I'm so glad to get to run again! I love running on treadmills so much more than when I went outside...

3/50 miles done!

Transformer08
09-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I ran my 3 miles today (on the treadmill) and I was good and stopped, even though I wanted to keep going. (Am trying very hard to go slow and not re-injure myself.)

KimProbable
09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
freethetoys - I'm not too sure what type of running is best for weight loss. I know that there are people who go along with the idea that lower heart rate zones (60 % max) are better for fat burning and higher zones are more for cardio, but I've heard arguments against this view too. Personally, I like to change things up a bit to keep running interesting. A typical training week for me will look something like this: Sunday long slow distance, Monday rest, Tuesday medium length fast run, Wednesday hill training, Thursday medium length easy run, Friday rest, Saturday short easy (or rest). This is based on the clinic that I did with The Running Room and I'm down 29 lbs so it can't be bad for weight loss. :D

viatre and transformer - WTG on getting started!! :carrot: I'm of the opinion that that's by far the hardest part of running.

So I went out to the clinic last night and it was really good. The lecture was on cross-training and the guy was a lot of fun. He must have been in his mid-fifties and he put all of us to shame when we did the core exercises on the floor! During the run I ended up being the one to call out the walk breaks since the instructor didn't have her watch and then when the group broke up I stayed with the folks in the back so I actually felt like I earned my keep. ;) It seems crazy to me that I get to sit in on these lectures for free and then get a 30% off coupon for running with the group!

Mrs Snark
09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
But i was wondering to lose weight, what is the best running pattern in a week? short distances daily? or long distances every couple of days?
I really wanna shift some lbs for a challeneg im doing, so im willing to step up my exercise now, but thought i would see which would be most effective from the people who know best.

I think any sort of consistent running program where you challenge yourself will help you lose weight, it certainly helped me. Personally, the most important thing to me is to keep it fun and enjoyable, so I like to mix it up. Some runs I set out to run intervals, some I set out to run "relaxed". I make sure to change up routes, throw in some treadmill work, etc. I generally try to run every other day and do a different exercise (usually biking) on the day in between.

Pink Geranium
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello everyone, I want to tell you I managed to get through my 5K on Monday and stay on the course (those arrows drawn on the pavement are such a help! Not to mention all the other runners in front of me!) And guess what! Guess what! I won 3rd place in my age group (40-49, and I'm sure there were more than 3 of us, so I did beat someone!). I got a nice medal (which I wore -- me and the other 8 year olds -- the rest of the time I spent at the festival - the race was part of a community day) and also a pie. Yes, a pie. I sadly had to give it away, but it was the thought that counted??? And it made some friends of mine quite happy.

Anyway, some ladies at a quilt raffle saw me with my medal and said, "Oh, you must be fast." And I said, " No, I've just hung in there long enough!" That's my thought for today. Keep on trying and I will improve, not to mention have a good time and accomplish something I never thought possible 2 years ago. Not winning something but being fit enough to be able to run 3.1 miles. I'm truly grateful for the whole thing.

Mrs Snark
09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Whoo hoo, congratulations, Speedy!! Wear that medal with pride!

kittycat40
09-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Pink...very cool.
Kim...very cool.
Jo...stay cool.
I did a shorty 2 miles with 2 or 3 lb. (not sure, bought them a while ago) hand weights yesterday. I feel like it works me harder with more resistance and hopefully helps my arm muscles shape up. In fact, an acquaintance of mine commented on liking the way my arms looked today. Let me mention that I have biggish upper arms. Hearing that made me feel pretty good.

I'm aiming for a longer run tomorrow (6) but it requires me to leave at exactly 7am and run kinda fast for me. I am carpooling a very prompt neighbor and need to leave the house at 8:20 on the nose. I am unable to leave earlier and of course all the kids and DH have dire needs right at the moment I try to head out the door. So, I'll put on my gear which I will have set up next to my bed. And I'll split most likely after giving DH a ride to the train station at 6:55a. OK, I'm feeling this is do-able.
And of course, now there is accountability on my end. hee. (thanks cool running chicks at 3fc)
:)

MBN
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I guess I should check in, I read this thread but I'm bad about posting in it. I was out of town last week on a business trip to Brazil and wasn't able to work out at all!! Coupled with nonstop eating, the scale result wasn't good. However, I kicked off September with a 9 mile run followed by 2 hours of kayaking, so I felt much better ....

There are several in my running group that are training for Fall marathons, including New York. My first event is a half marathon in November, and my long runs have usually been 10-12 miles, so I'm ahead of the game. I'll just be glad, glad, glad when it cools off a bit!! Now if those dratted storms just avoid Florida, we'll be in good shape.

Mrs Snark
09-04-2008, 12:33 PM
MBN -- just taking a wild guess and asking if you are planning on doing the Space Coast Half in November?

Mrs Snark
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Today I fast walked 1 mile to get to a place with a great 5k route, then I ran a 28:01 5k (w00t!) then fast walked 1 mile home. It was nice.

Kitty - that's interesting about the hand weights, sounds like a good workout. I'm afraid to do anything that would throw off my form, so I've never tried the hand weights. I hope you got you 6 miler in today!

Welcome viatre and transformer!

Transformer08
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I still feel a bit like a fraud posting in the "runners" forum but since I aspire to kick as much butt as you all do, I'm going to "fake it til I make it." If that's ok with you all.

Did my 3 miles on the treadmill again today. This time I did it with the incline on 2.0 instead of 1.0. I think it was some combination of that coupled with my lower body weight training yesterday that made such that I had to reeaaaally push through that last mile just to finish!

Mrs Snark
09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Transformer -- you're most definitely not a fraud, so you shouldn't feel that way! Any amount of running makes you a runner, everything else is just a matter of scale.

Good job finishing up that last mile!

MBN
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
MBN -- just taking a wild guess and asking if you are planning on doing the Space Coast Half in November?

Actually, I am doing a new half marathon, the 13.1 Ft. Lauderdale half marathon. It's a new half marathon series, put on by the same people that do the ING Miami marathon and others. There are 5 half/full marathon events coming up in the next few months in Dade and Broward alone -- the 13.1 Ft. Lauderdale half in November, the Rotary Holiday Run in Weston, FL (half) in December, the ING Miami Marathon in Jan, the A1A Ft. Lauderdale marathon in Feb, and the second 13.1 half marathon in the series in Miami in March. I'm planning to do them all .... 5 half marathons in 5 months. Plus a few assorted 5Ks and a 10K that I always run. It's nice to have a variety of events that are local, no travel or overnight stays required! I'm mostly doing it for the fun and the "event" experience (and the shiny medal!), but it would be nice to work on speed too. My PR for the half is 2:07, set last year at the Ft. Lauderdale A1A marathon.

I'm currently running a "base" long run mileage of 10-12 miles, so essentially I can go out and run a half anytime I want to. I think a half marathon is the perfect distance, long enough to be a challenge, but not so long that the training just beats you up. I call it all of the fun with less than half the work!! I ran with a friend who is training for New York on Sunday. She had to do 18 miles, I was able to stop after 9 and was VERY glad I didn't have to do another 9 .... Those 20 mile runs are for the birds, IMO. Way too much like work. :dizzy:

MBN
09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
I still feel a bit like a fraud posting in the "runners" forum but since I aspire to kick as much butt as you all do, I'm going to "fake it til I make it." If that's ok with you all.

Heavens, you aren't a fraud at all! We all started somewhere. Heck, I didn't start running (never even THOUGHT I could run) until I was over 40. I couldn't run for a block straight when I started. I trained with run/walk intervals and did a number of race events, up to and including a full marathon, as one of those run/walk people. It took me 5.5 HOURS to finish that marathon, but by gosh, I did it and have the medal to prove it. Eventually, I got faster and my endurance improved, and now I can run longer distances and faster than I ever thought I could. It's just a matter of patience and consistent training. Losing weight and getting lighter definitely helped too. :D

So post away .... :)

motivated chickie
09-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi all,

Jumping into this forum b/c I need support for my running which needs a little help at the moment. Running off and on since high school (more off than on), but have a pact with my sister to run a half marathon in late November, which is the longest distance I've ever done (did a 10 mile a few years back when I was an exercise maniac).

Anyway, my goal is to finish. I have been trying to run since April but somehow I can't get my weekly mileage up past 12-15 miles. I'm now working with a personal trainer and am essentially starting over. Can run 3-4 miles no problem, but anything above that I get whiney and want to walk.

I look forward to learning from you guys and reigniting my passion for running.

Thanks,

Caroline

Mrs Snark
09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome Caroline! How exciting to have a stretch race to aim for in November, I'm sure you'll have a blast! Let us know how the personal training sessions go, pass along tips and tricks and anything else of interest they tell you!

I'm personally looking forward to the winter series of races in my area (mostly 5 and 10ks), because then the weather is finally tolerable. There a couple nighttime races right around the holidays that I particularly enjoy because they are routed through areas where people SERIOUSLY decorated with lots and lots of christmas lights and stuff. And we get to wear Santa hats and or costumes. ;)

MBN
09-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi all,
Anyway, my goal is to finish. I have been trying to run since April but somehow I can't get my weekly mileage up past 12-15 miles. I'm now working with a personal trainer and am essentially starting over. Can run 3-4 miles no problem, but anything above that I get whiney and want to walk.

Hi Caroline! As you can see from my post above, I think a half marathon distance is a fun challenge to train for. My philosophy is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with walking. There's a whole sub-culture in running that advocates a run-walk interval approach. I did a whole marathon using 10/1 intervals (10 minutes jog, 1 min walk, repeat for 26 miles). You can choose any interval that you are comfortable with: 3/1, 5/1, whatever. Check out www.jeffgalloway.com for lots of information and training schedules.

There are both physical and psychological benefits to this approach. Physically, it gives you breaks, rests your legs and lungs, and helps you go much longer/farther with the less perceived effort. Psychologically, you are breaking the run down into manageable chunks (I only have to run for 10 minutes!). And, it's not a weakness to walk, it's your "plan". As a first-timer, this is a great strategy and it worked very well for me.

Don't think that you will look wierd, there will be MANY others doing exactly the same thing. And for those purists who think you are only "running" a race when you run every single step -- poo on them. :p

The single most important preparation step for any distance race is your once a week long run. Your other running days (usually 2 or 3) stay at shorter distances, 3-5 miles is perfectly fine. Most training schedules have you increasing your long run distance by one mile per week, up to 10 miles for your first half marathon. If you are running 4 miles now, you would need about 6 weeks to progress to 10 miles, and then allow 2 more weeks "taper" down to rest up for the event. You still have ample time! Check out the web link and look for beginner half marathon training schedules.

Marathon events are great fun, and addictive! After you finish one, you'll be looking for the next one. :D

KimProbable
09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Caroline - Welcome to the thread! I think MBN has given you some fantastic advice. I've also found that when I'm following a very exact training schedule, I lose the word "can't". If I'm scheduled to to a 15K long run, I may feel like I'm going to die by the 12th kilometer, but I finish it because I'm supposed to. Left to my own devices (without a training schedule) I piddle around and quit when I start to get tired.

I'm also a follower of the 10:1 method. It's made a huge difference to me in how much longer I'm able to make my runs and how much more I can push myself. I have a hard time believing that I can run for another 35 minutes, but I can always make it another 6 minutes to the next walk break!

So I had a really great trail run today. I met up with my mom at a local dog park and she walked with the dogs and kids while I ran. I did a loop around the field then I went off on some obscure trail for a bit then I finished off with five reps of up and over and back of a hill in the middle of the field. The kids joined me on the hill which was really cute. DD really really wants to run like her Mommy! It's some nice extra incentive for me, knowing that she's watching and mimicking me.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a pre-run where the trail race will be on the 20th. I'm back and forth on whether I'll do the 8K loop or the 15K loop, but today went so well that I'm leaning towards the 15. I've only done 4 5k's since my recovery from my race, but they've all been really solid runs so I'm feeling pretty positive. DH is also going to go with me which will be quite nice. I'll just kick him in the shins every now and then since he's a stronger runner than me already!

Mrs Snark
09-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I did 7.01 miles this morning on a very popular route for runners/cyclists. It was a tiny bit cooler then usual, and less humid (thanks to Hanna moving out of our area) with a nice wind from the west so it was almost -- dare I say it -- comfortable out there! A bit of a preview for the cooler fall weather I'm looking forward to.

I was chased off the road by a big pelaton of bikers, narrowly avoiding an ugly crash for all of us. I know they didn't mean to do it, and since I bike myself I can find it in my heart to forgive them. Still, it pays to pay attention, that could have been tragic for more than one of us!

I've never done a trail race, Kim, I'm looking forward to hearing about yours! What kind of terrain will the race be over? Is there an online site for the race with a map of the route?

KimProbable
09-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Jo - I'm glad you didn't get run over! Thank goodness you've got those long muscular legs so you could move quickly!

The website for the race is here (http://www.5peaks.com/schedule.asp?p=ab&raceid=150) and the map of the trail is here (http://www.5peaks.com/maps/Map_Blackfoot%20Trails%202008.pdf) (I'll be running the red and the blue loops). This is the last of the five races for the season so if I enjoy this as much as I think I will, I'll be chomping at the bit for next year's season!

Transformer08
09-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Based on the advice I've seen you guys posting I've decided to continue to do my 3 mile runs most days and then add 1 mile per week to a "long run." (I had been debating doing that, versus inching up the distance on each run, like doing 3.25miles 3-4x a week for a week, then 3.5 for a week, etc etc.) So today I did my long run of 4 miles!!!! It actually wasn't a lot harder than 3 miles, mostly due to the fact that I had some new mp3s to listen to. :)

Transformer08
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
MBN -- I just noticed you are my height (go shorties!) and your starting weight is close to my current weight.

May I ask approximately how many calories a day you were eating when you were losing and how many you're eating now that you're maintaining? --If that's something you've kept track of?

I'm trying to decide what my goal cals should be. I know everyone is different but since you were close to my stats and running for exercise at the time so...

Thank you!!

Mrs Snark
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Transformer -- way to go! I think that is an excellent plan. Isn't it nice to know that 4 wasn't significantly harder than 3!

In fact, I was telling my husband today about how clever it is that MBN has her long run at 10-12 miles per week and that way stays in half-mary shape pretty much all the time. I love the idea of just being able to go do any half-mary that looks interesting without having to drastically change her training to accommodate it. SO I've set the goal to start inching my mileage back up for a weekly long run and do the same thing.

So like you, I'll be slowly upping my weekend run into my "long weekly run". :)

KimProbable
09-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Transformer - I think your plan sounds fantastic. Keeping the long run to once per week (for me) makes things less stressful during the weekdays. Congrats on rocking a 4-miler! It sounds like you were well-prepared since it went so well. Before you know it you'll be bumping up those long runs to distances you'd never have expected! :carrot:

So Hadaad and I did our trail run this morning and it was amazing. On the drive out, I was sort of debating whether I should do the 7K or 16K loop. Part of me wanted to keep it shorter since I was doing my first real trail run and I hadn't had a long run since my race three weeks ago. We didn't actually make up our minds until we got to the point in the trail where the group split (4K or so). I knew for sure that I wasn't ready to head home since I felt like I was just getting warmed up!

We continued on with the group doing the Enduro loop and although the two of us were always waaaay behind the rest of the group, we had a great run. We ended up finishing off the distance in 1:54, a time that I was really happy with. I had some issues with an old ankle injury here and there when I wasn't careful about my heel strike on uneven ground, but other than that I felt really good. By the time we made it back to the parking lot I was tired but not in that "I can't believe I dragged my *** through those last 4 kilometers. I must now sit down for a week" kind of way that I've felt after some long runs!

I'm now contemplating doing the half-marathon route on race day in two weeks. It's 23.3K and it's all over rolling hills, which sounds intimidating...but there's a part of me that wants to go for it!

Viatre
09-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Well, today I ran two miles and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! I went nice and slow (12:00 minute miles), but instead of running in little five minute segments like I normally do, I ran 25:00 minutes straight! I was pretty darn excited. Now I have seven/fifty done for September!

Transformer08
09-07-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks, Tyler! It did feel good. :)

KimProbable- I say go for the half-marathon! (Of course, I only say that because it sounds so cool...)

Strong work, Viatre!!!

Mrs Snark
09-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, today I ran two miles and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! I went nice and slow (12:00 minute miles), but instead of running in little five minute segments like I normally do, I ran 25:00 minutes straight! I was pretty darn excited. Now I have seven/fifty done for September!

Awesome, way to go! :carrot: :bravo:

freethetoys
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
hey weldone for everyone for doing so great. Im going for a run today with my boyf, and im gonna try a techinique i found on a website where we take it in turns to hold the pace and the lead so one is always pushing the other forward. I deffinetly need that because my own self determination can waver at times, when i know my body and mind are capable of good things :-)

MBN
09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
MBN -- I just noticed you are my height (go shorties!) and your starting weight is close to my current weight.

May I ask approximately how many calories a day you were eating when you were losing and how many you're eating now that you're maintaining? --If that's something you've kept track of?
Thank you!!

Transformer08 -- I didn't start counting calories until after I reached my goal weight. I lost weight by adjusting my diet incrementally -- losing the junk food, low fat, moderate carbs, more lean protein and veggies -- while at the same time increasing my activity level. I figure my maintenance level is around 1600-1700 calories on a normal day, but I'm fairly active. I allow somewhat more on my really long run days. If the scale starts to creep up, I drop back to 1200-1300 calories per day until I get back into my "window". Another factor is age --- I'm 48 (OK, 49 next week). Youngsters have the benefit of a higher metabolism!

I don't know if that helps ... It took me a whole year to lose that 40 pounds!

kittycat40
09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi gals! I did get that 6 miler in. And I was actually a little earlier than I expected :). Good thing too, b/c this kid's Dad was driving off to work as I was rounding the bend. (kid was at my house already)

I love the idea of a regular super long run (10ish). For me, and many, it is a matter of making or having the time. Funny, I had considered this idea a few weeks ago when I unintentionally ran a 9er. What happened was that DH and I were on a family vacation. I was expecting less time for solo work outs. One day he offered to take children on to the lake if I wanted to run home from this outstandingly beautiful meadow hike we had been on. I thought the run seemed kinda long but not only did I rock it... I sprinted the last part..
Later on we clocked it. 9+. I was very pleased. Realized I'd feel so amazingly good if it could happen on a regular basis.

Alas, the school year has begun, I am increasing my work schedule.....

No, I am not excusing future failure to run. I am recognizing that I absolutely will and must factor running and exercise into my calendar.

have an easy Monday cool running chicks!

Ookpik
09-08-2008, 02:09 AM
I have recently taken up jogging using "Couch to 5K". I enjoy it because it always feels like such an accomplishment after I finish. Two years ago walking was difficult...I could never have imagined then that I would be jogging today.

I finished the "Couch to 5K" program and am now able to run 40 minutes without stopping. This evening I started the program again at week 1 except I did an easy jog during the walking parts and sprinted during the jogging parts...it was easier than I thought it would be. I am trying to get some speed in because I want to try out for RCMP to become a police officer, and need to be able to run at least 1.5 miles in 12 minutes. I am quite a ways from that yet but I know I'll get there eventually!

freethetoys
09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
im sorting of tagging into this group because i try to run alot. i suppose some advice would be good.
at the moment i warm up, then go out a farily mix terrain course, hills, grass, pavement, park, ect. I try and keep a stready rythem most of the run, with the odd burst of a faster pace when a good song comes on my mp3.
but has anyone got any good tips for maintaining running at a good pace.
I think i really need to work on my breathing rythem. I try and match it to my pace, but then my music gets confussed with it and i cant keep it steady for very long.
How do you guys train yourself with your breathing.
My boyf came out with me and said i need to kee my head up more, rather then slouching when im tired. which im guessing is good advice.?

i can run about 3 miles (4-5k) in 30 mins, with a few sections of walking (no longer then 20-30secs) they are normally on very very steep hills where my legs are turned to jelly if i run up or down them.

id like to increase the mileage, but im guessing it all starts with breathing....any ideas?

lene1974
09-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi ya cool runners!
My first 5K is this Sunday. Getting excited/nervous already. My thought was to not run Friday and Saturday. I seem to have stronger runs when I rest for 2 days. I can definitely run the distance but I was hoping I would be faster and stronger by now. I think I started the c25K @13 weeks ago and in my delusional little mind I thought I would be running 5 miles by now. I don't feel as "ready" as I would like. I'd like to go and actually run the course once to feel a little more confident. Anyone have any tips on do's and don'ts? Can I take my ipod or is that something most people don't use? I'm running by myself and I thought it would help me keep my pace by being in my own little world.

Good luck getting to 1.5miles in 12 minutes Ookpik! I love the idea of redoing the program and challenging yourself.

Freethetoys, I'm still pretty new to this so I have no advice to offer but I wanted to say hi and congratulate you on your 3 mile runs. I have a very hard time with steep hills. I have arrhythmia and my heart beats normally when I'm exercising but when I do steep hills or steps it really messes with me. Dizzy, short of breath the whole bit. I'm envious when I see a strong runner going up a big hill. One day your legs will be less jellyish, good luck!

MBN
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
id like to increase the mileage, but im guessing it all starts with breathing....any ideas?

I've never tried to regulate my breathing to any particular pattern ... I just use it more like a gauge for my effort level. If I'm breathing just a little hard, but can still reasonably carry on a conversation, then that's a great effort level for a longer, slower run, which is the majority of my training. When I do speed or hill workouts (intervals), that's a whole 'nother story, I pant like a puppy and sweat like another animal. :D It's GOOD to do short, intense intervals, that's how you build speed. But, that should constitute a smaller percentage of your training than the longer slower, comfortable runs.

Does that make sense? To run longer, you need to go slower, so you can do it longer. You mix in higher intensity intervals when you want to train to go faster. But when you're just starting out, the most important thing is to just get out there regularly and go! :D

Pink Geranium
09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
This is to lene1974, I may have said this before, so if I did, excuse my repetition! I think it is great that your first 5K is coming up and and that you are excited about it. It will be a lot of fun. Anyway, what I think I might have said before was my main thought when I did my first race (this last April). Someone told me it was really easy to get swept up in the rush from the start and to go too fast, then be too tired later on. I really agree with this, even now after doing a lot of 5K's this summer. At the beginning, start off strong but stay with your plan, don't feel that you have to keep up with the others around you and if they pass you, so what? I found a lot of people poop out after about 1/2 mile and I pass them again anyway. After about 1/2 mile I think you will settle in to your pace and know what to do.

And I think you will run faster than you think. The race is a lot different from a practice - you just seem to have strength and speed you did not know about. And when you get to the end and see that clock, you'll have that little extra that you also did not know was there, and speed right in.

Also, double knot your shoelaces.

I don't run with music ever, I have enough going on in my head and it bothers me to have any more stimulation, so I can't say about it in a race. My husband, though, does like the Ipod for practice but does not use it in a race. He says he likes to know where the others around him are, and that includes using his sense of hearing as well. (He has mentioned hearing someone's footsteps behind him and it has made him speed up!). I know I don't like running in a race with others using Ipods because often they seem to be oblivious to others around them and I've been bumped, cut into at corners, tried to pass and could not get their attention, etc. and then the person is startled, obviously did not know I was there, and says, "Oh, I'm sorry" which is nice, but I'd rather they were more aware. (Of course, plenty of people not wearing Ipods are just as vague, wandering all over the course, but at least they can hear me if I speak to them...usually...)

This is not a problem so much if the course is very open but I've done some on trails, narrow paths, etc., and it can be a pain. But, that's just my feeling.

I do wonder about those who have music and sing to it as they run. In the race. How can they have the energy? But that's off the topic.

I also try to remember in each race that it's not all about how fast I go. In every race there are things I do well and I pay attention to that, and try to learn from my mistakes. Above all, I always take a moment to be grateful that I'm there at all, since for so long there was absolutely no way I could have done a 1/10th of a K race. This helps to calm me down and get a good focus on just running, and letting it work out as it does.

Good luck! I am sure you will be very happy with your accomplishments!

midwife
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM
In the last year I have gone from 12 minute miles to a 9 minute mile. Music can help if you get some with a great beat to drive your cadence (I like Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend", Pink's (?) You and Your Hand, and All-American Reject's Move Along for this purpose), but I credit my increase in speed to strength training and running sprints and hills. Seriously. I can run long and slow but once I started building strength and doing speed drills, I got faster. Think of form---bouncing, lifting your knees, powering up hills and recovering on downhills. Running hills has been huge for endurance, strength and speed. Running 40 yard dashes has helped me with my form. I always sprint the last part of my longer runs too. To run faster, run faster. :) It sounds strange but it worked for me.

freethetoys
09-09-2008, 05:06 PM
thanks for the advice ladies, i have been going for intervals of faster pace in my slower run, although it would be nice to know how fast i go. guess i need to buy some gadget thing. I repeated my same journey today, did it much stronger then sunday, faster in places, harder in others, and i generally felt happier. I really had to urge myself on at times, really pushed through my own sence of ability but im so pleased i did it. :-D i think ill try a new route on thursday, shake things up a little.

kittycat40
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
In the last year I have gone from 12 minute miles to a 9 minute mile. Music can help if you get some with a great beat to drive your cadence (I like Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend", Pink's (?) You and Your Hand, and All-American Reject's Move Along for this purpose), but I credit my increase in speed to strength training and running sprints and hills. Seriously. I can run long and slow but once I started building strength and doing speed drills, I got faster. Think of form---bouncing, lifting your knees, powering up hills and recovering on downhills. Running hills has been huge for endurance, strength and speed. Running 40 yard dashes has helped me with my form. I always sprint the last part of my longer runs too. To run faster, run faster. :) It sounds strange but it worked for me.

Here's my experience with the final leg sprint-- when I did that 9 mile run I felt great at the end, had huge surge of energy and really sprinted the last part of the run. Then I had me some craaaazzy shin splints. How do I sprint w/o hurtung myself? It it just cognizant light footedness?
:carrot:

Ookpik
09-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Thanks Lene1974! I am hoping to be able to do the 12-minute 1.5 mile in about a year.

I wanted to join a community running group this evening but quickly realized they were too advanced for me. Also, they were in much better shape than me, so I figured I'd better go along at my own pace until I can run with others more comfortably. I parted ways with the group early on but continued with my own run, sprinting during the run parts and jogging during the walking parts. I felt a little discouraged because I thought I could handle it, but I spoke to others later who told me they can't run at all, so I felt better then. I really enjoy running though, and I am dripping with sweat but do I ever feel good afterward!

MBN
09-10-2008, 08:29 AM
To run faster, run faster. :) It sounds strange but it worked for me.

I agree with you! Once you've got a good base, I think the only way to get faster is to run sprint intervals, hills, etc. I found that I got significantly faster last year by running a couple of 5K's ... the adrenaline of the 5K race pushed me to quicker times and it acted like a great speed workout! If you only train to go long and slow, then you'll only be able to go long and slow ...

But when you're first starting out, going slow is the best way to extend your distance and build endurance. That, and just getting out there consistently.

I had a great run this morning -- 50 min treadmill run at avg 6.2 mph pace. I've been struggling a bit this summer after donating blood at the end of May, taking several vacation weeks off running, and running in the sweltering Florida heat and humidity ... I've felt sloooooowww and draggy. But this run was a decently good tempo run for me and it felt GOOD. :D It's about time too, because the Florida racing season is coming right up and I've got big plans this year ....

midwife
09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Kitty, I'm pretty lucky that shin splints have not been a problem for me. They have plagued DD for about 7 months now. Icing, stretching, and exercises can help. Take one of your 4 year olds and have him stand on your feet. Raise your toes off the ground and lower them (kid riding on your feet) 10 times, 3 sets. Try to do them every other day to strengthen your anterior tibialis muscles. That is the exercise my PT recommended for my DD, but we use a 5 year old boy for it. Use what you got laying around the house. :)

ETA: When I sprint, I really focus on form. Lightfootedness, yes, but I think of it as bouncing, being a gazelle (in my own mind---sure!!), form, knees up.

Transformer08
09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
MBN- Wow, that is way fewer calories than I was hoping to maintain on!! I'm in my late 20s, so hopefully my metabolism will allow for a bit more, I'm also ok with maintaining at a higher weight than you're at. I figure 120-125 would be fine with me. Still sobering information. Thanks

I totally sympathize with shin splints. Icing them and taking an NSAID work the best for me. Midwife's exercises sound smart, too. (They should naturally go away eventually, when your body gets used to the new beat-up it's getting from running.)

I'm up in the mountains for the week (like 6-7000mi above sea level) and I'm going to hope that that explains how out of breath I felt on my run on Monday. I'm going out again today, so we'll see. On the plus side, it's beautiful!!

lene1974
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=midwife;2354982]Hi Kitty, I'm pretty lucky that shin splints have not been a problem for me. They have plagued DD for about 7 months now. Icing, stretching, and exercises can help. Take one of your 4 year olds and have him stand on your feet. Raise your toes off the ground and lower them (kid riding on your feet) 10 times, 3 sets. Try to do them every other day to strengthen your anterior tibialis muscles. That is the exercise my PT recommended for my DD, but we use a 5 year old boy for it. Use what you got laying around the house.
/QUOTE]

:lol: That just cracked me up. I'm glad I'm the mother of 3. I have a variety of sizes to choose from in case I get shin splints.

kittycat40
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Kitty, I'm pretty lucky that shin splints have not been a problem for me. They have plagued DD for about 7 months now. Icing, stretching, and exercises can help. Take one of your 4 year olds and have him stand on your feet. Raise your toes off the ground and lower them (kid riding on your feet) 10 times, 3 sets. Try to do them every other day to strengthen your anterior tibialis muscles. That is the exercise my PT recommended for my DD, but we use a 5 year old boy for it. Use what you got laying around the house. :)

ETA: When I sprint, I really focus on form. Lightfootedness, yes, but I think of it as bouncing, being a gazelle (in my own mind---sure!!), form, knees up.

That sounds like a good plan.. thanks! :D

lene1974
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I finished my first 5K today! It was 90 degrees with high humidity. I was a little bummed I had to walk some of it. Running in the sun and in the heat was something my body was not used to. The only thing that gave me comfort was there were so many runners who walked in parts. I couldn't believe it, I mean a lot of runners. Maybe that heat bothers even experienced runners? My final time was 33 min and 33 seconds, which isn't great but all things considered I'm okay with it. Ironically, it is supposed to be back in the 70's tomorrow and the rest of the week. I told my dh I'm going back to run the same course again this week when it's cooler, just so I can feel better about it. I am keeping my race number. I know it's a little hokey but it was exciting to wear it.

Thanks for listening. I have no friends in real life who run, it"s nice to share a story with others who understand.

nelie
09-14-2008, 06:18 PM
HI!

Ok I have to say that I never thought I'd post in this thread because I never had any plans of running but I want to do a triathlon so... Anyway, went to a running store yesterday and got fitted for shoes and bra (Oh my god, its like body armor).

Yesterday, I did my first run/walk workout and it went pretty well, did a lot better than I thought I would. Today, I did water running instead of swimming (although I did sneak some swimming in).

Anyway, I think I already need an attitude adjustment. When we were at the running store, the person that helped us said the store was starting up a beginners 5k program which I'm going to sign up for. On the sheet describing the program, it says the culmination is a 5k race in december. I kind of felt bummed about the idea of a 5k race as it would be fairly quick, start, run, over less than an hour. I think the reason I feel this way is I was thinking about hiking which I like and I go for 3 things there - speed (not running but shouldn't be crawling), distance (6 miles is a pretty decent hike), elevation change (a decent amount, at least 500 ft change). With something like a 5k, you are going for speed over a fairly short distance. I guess I crave something that takes at least an hour. I'm hoping this feeling changes and it may be part of me that doesn't understand running.

kittycat40
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Congrats Lene!! Nelie, sounds very exciting-- I agree about the body armor, I think it's good stuff (holdin' in your stuff for comfortable fast moving, that is ;))

I had a lovely country run today. There is rumor of a town garage coming to the road I was on. Would be a pity-- the most panoramic country hills and meadows. Real eye candy.

MBN
09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
The only thing that gave me comfort was there were so many runners who walked in parts. I couldn't believe it, I mean a lot of runners. Maybe that heat bothers even experienced runners?

Yes, yes, absolutely!! Heat and humidity kicks your butt! Especially if you aren't used to it, but even if you are, it still slows you down. Congrats on your 5K -- that's a GOOD time, especially in the heat!

I did an easy 5 miler on Saturday, a hot and sweaty 12 miler on Sunday and 5 miles on the treadmill this morning. I was happy that this morning's run felt fine ... a few months ago I would have had "dead legs" the day after a 12 mile long run. That tells me that my endurance is improving. It's almost time for race season!! :D Now, if the weather would just cool down a little bit ... in South Florida, it's still HOT and sticky ....

Happy Monday everyone ...

Mrs Snark
09-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Congrats Lene! Heat and humidity definitely negatively affect runners of all abilities, so don't be bummed! I keep all my race numbers and shirts!

Nellie -- 5ks are fun, but you can look for longer races like 10k, 15k and eventually half marys and fulls, etc. You'll probably enjoy them all for different reasons. Perhaps you'll find that endurance running will be your THING and the next thing you know you'll be registering for the Western States 100 mile Endurance run (http://www.ws100.com/). Whatever your taste, there are races out there to suit you. :)

nelie
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Tyler - OH MY, 100 miles sounds insane. I do realize we all have to start somewhere and who knows, maybe I'll really like 5k over longer races.

jenguin
09-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Congrats, Lene! I loved that excitement of my first race so am always trying to get others to sign up for their first 5K! And I agree with everyone else, heat and humidity will definitely slow down your times!

Nelie - Once you get started you might look into longer distances or different types of races. I agree with Josephine that there are races of all kinds out there - not just distances, but types of runs too - road races, trail races, cross country races, etc. Have you ever read Slow, Fat Triathlete? I read it awhile back and really enjoyed it, even though the title is goofy! It made me intrigued about triathlons, but I don't know that I'm intrigued enough to start training for one any time soon. Good luck with all your training!

MBN - that's great that your endurance is improving. I'm continually amazed at what my body really can do when it comes to running.

Kittycat - I hope your country run doesn't get ruined!

Ookpik
09-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Congrats Lene! Looking forward to the day I can do the same!

chickichickibangbang
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Kitty! I used to have terrible problems with shin splints. My understanding is that they are somehow caused be a weakness/imbalance and thus from overtraining (or in your case, pushing that weakness by sprinting). The thing that changed this for me, is that I chose to run on soft surfaces a lot more, so that I could build up distance and let whatever was happening in my shins get stronger...then I started moving to part soft and part roads..and eventually all roads. I haven't had any problems with them for over 4 years.

Hello to everyone else, I have posted here maybe twice in the past year, but I am going to try to be a regular. I run alone mostly and though I would love to join a group,haven't had success yet finding one to run with. Alot to do with living in a smaller town and running more slowly than the groups that I know about.

I am training for my second half-marathon. I have definitely been a long slow runner, though at this point, I have become really interested in improving my speed. I'll probably start working on it after my race in october.

Ran 9 miles last weekend, and it was great. My run today is five, and i am going to incorporate some hills.

How is everyone else's runs?

Cheers,
Heather

KimProbable
09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Heather - How exciting that you're getting ready for your second half-marathon! I just did my second one last month after doing my first one six years ago, and I love the challenge that the training gives me.

I've had a couple of blah runs this week. I did a trail run on Sunday and then a road run with DH last night and I had no oomph for either. I think I've lost some of my conditioning in the past month and I'm having to work harder because of that.

I'm trying to decide my runs for the rest of the week as I have a 16K trail race on Saturday. Tonight I do an easy run with the 10K clinic group so I might also do some hills on Thursday. Hopefully my butt will stop dragging behind me! :dizzy:

nelie
09-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey chickies!

So today I decided to do 30 minutes of biking, followed by a 2 mile run (actually 2.3 miles according to google). I wasn't entirely sure about doing the 2 mile run followed by the bike because it was around a lake and if I pooped out, I had no choice but to keep going. Anyway, I headed out with my heart rate monitor on and felt really good. My heart rate shot up to 170, at which point I walked until it got down to 135, then I kept this as my determining factor for running/walking. The route was a bit hilly with a very steep hill at one point which almost took my heart rate up to 170 by just walking up it. The entire run was 35 minutes. I calculated that to be a little over 15 minute mile and approximately 4 mph. Not great but hey I'm just starting.

I felt really good overall although my feet got really hot. My legs ached. My HRM said I burned nearly 600 calories overall (bike + run) which made me feel really good :)

kittycat40
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Heather, I must have a weakness b/c I am quite prone to those shin splint buggers. Last night I tried lifting my toes upward w/o extra weight on them. That felt like it was helping for a stretch at the very least. According to midwife's daughter's PT that exercise with a small person on top of your toes can help strengthen the anterior tibialis which has the weakness.

onward and forward, right?

lene1974
09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the congratulations on the 5K. I'm definitely signing up for another one. I did a 30 minute run this beautiful, cool morning. It was perfect weather and I felt like I could have gone on and on. I just didn't have enough time for a long run.

Pink Geranium- I wanted to give you a special thanks for all your pre 5K advice. I chose to run without the ipod which I was nervous about. But I did feel more focused and aware of others without it. Thanks again for taking the time to write your thoughts out for me, it really helped.

Hi Heather- I'm fairly new to this board started running about 3 1/2 months ago. Good luck training for your 1/2 marathon and please continue to post often! Although I am a novice, I really enjoy hearing from more experienced runners. The advice and support is invaluable and I find reading the success stories incredibly motivating.

Kim- good luck getting your oomph back. How did you find a clinic group to become involved in?

Nelie- Great job on the bike/run. Burning 600 calories is incredible! I have no gadgets just a stopwatch/clock and my ipod. I think I need a heart rate gadget or something to track my mileage gadget. :D

MBN
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the congratulations on the 5K. I'm definitely signing up for another one.

Warning: Running events are habit-forming! :D

KimProbable
09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Kim- good luck getting your oomph back. How did you find a clinic group to become involved in?

Thanks! :D Last night was a really nice easy 5K so it was a good boost to my morale. The clinic lecture was also on nutrition and when the speaker talked about dehydration = low blood volume = higher heart rate, I had an "aha" moment. During those two crappy runs, my heart rate kept going up and staying around 170 which is where it should be at the top of a hill or at the end of a sprint, not during the main part of my run. So now my focus this week is hydration in hopes that it'll get me back on track.

The clinics that I'm involved in are at a local Running Room store. I think they might be Canadian only. They were founded by this guy named John Stanton who turned from obese guy into sleek runner and each store runs clinics from Learn To Run through to marathon training. They also have group runs which are open to anyone who wants to join in each Wednesday evening and Sunday morning. I'm a huge fan of the stores both for the wonderful help I've had in finding the running stuff I need (shoes, gels, etc.) and the social aspect.

Mrs Snark
09-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I registered for a half marathon in February yesterday, w00t! Time to start pushing up that long run on the weekends.

This morning I did 5.09 miles at a nice brisk pace.

MBN
09-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I registered for a half marathon in February yesterday, w00t! Time to start pushing up that long run on the weekends.

Cool!!! Is this your first half -- and are you following any particular half marathon training schedule?

Mrs Snark
09-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Nope, it's not my first. I've done 2 others. I always think I want to train for a full marathon, but when it comes to getting those really looooong runs in I stop enjoying myself. So I guess maybe I'm more of a half mary girl for now!

I'm probably going to slightly modified a Hal Higdon training plan, and keep my week day runs around 5 miles while pushing up the length of my weekend run. Recently, I haven't been running any longer than 8 miles on the weekend, so I'd like to get more comfie around 10-11 as a long run.

What I REALLY need is a freaking drop in heat and humidity! That would help more than anything!

midwife
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
You could run a half today, Jo! If you can run 8 miles, you can run 13.1. Mine is October 19th....must actually register!

kittycat40
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
My best friend is running a half in Colorado in a few weeks. Her training sched does have her running one 12er. I mentioned the concept of being ready after doing 8ers. She said perhaps, but those last few miles were really super tough (not what she said but I'm being polite ;)), so she's inclined to get her bod a bit more ready with some more mileage.

I guess anything (after a certain training amt) can really work, it might be personal choice?

Tomorrow am I am doing a 9.3ish run with a friend while our little ones are in pre-school. I can't think of a more pleasantly (hopefully; depending on how the run goes) productive way to spend the two hours my teeny tiny 2 year old guy is at school. BTW, that baaaaby of mine is almost as big as his 4.5 year old brothers. They look more like trips than twins and a younger, hee.

lene1974
09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Kim the Running Room sounds fantastic. I need to find something around here to get involved in. I can honestly say I have not one friend who runs or even has the vaguest inclination to start. It makes me bummed.

Josephine~ a half marathon wahoo! At least in Feb. you"ll have that cooler weather.

midwife~good luck on your Oct 1/2 marathon, it'll be here before you know it

Kittycat~ enjoy your run tomorrow, i hope your weather is perfect for it

I just did another 1/2 hour run tonight with some hills and fields. I'm trying to work up to a 1 hour run with that "becoming a one hour runner" program. Have fun on your runs tomorrow!

jenguin
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Lene - Do you have any running stores near you? That's usually a good place to find out about other groups. You could also google your town/neighboring towns and "running group" - good luck finding something that works for you!

Josephine - With all the miles you run you'd definitely be able to do a 1/2 now, but it's exciting that you signed up! Will your race be in FL? I'm not sure I could take the heat, but my in-laws live in Jax so I've considered looking at races near there. However, the 5K my daughter and I did in Puerto Rico this summer about killed me with the humidity!

Midwife - Your 1/2 is the same day as my full. I've discovered that training for a full has done nothing for my weight loss, but I am holding fairly steady so I'm thankful for that. Training for a full has been so time consuming that I don't think I'll even consider trying another one soon.

Kim - We actually have a Running Room in Iowa so I think it's slowly moving south of the border (I believe there are stores in Minnesota as well).

KittyCat - Enjoy your run with a friend - it sounds like a great way to spend a couple of hours.

Hello to everyone else! :wave:

MBN
09-19-2008, 07:58 AM
My best friend is running a half in Colorado in a few weeks. Her training sched does have her running one 12er. I mentioned the concept of being ready after doing 8ers. She said perhaps, but those last few miles were really super tough (not what she said but I'm being polite ;)), so she's inclined to get her bod a bit more ready with some more mileage.

I guess anything (after a certain training amt) can really work, it might be personal choice?

I think it depends on your goal for the race -- do you want simply to finish? Or are you shooting for a particular time goal? Fundamentally, you can only do what you've trained to do -- with a little extra boost due to that race day adrenaline. If the longest run you've EVER done is one 10 miler, and that was really hard, then you certainly can complete 3.1 more miles on race day. It will be a tough last 3 miles, you may be walking parts of it, you certainly won't break any speed records, and you will probably feel some after-effects (soreness, etc). But, you can make it through to the finish line! (and collect that shiny medal) :D

OTOH, if you are accustomed to running a 10-12 mile long run comfortably every week as a routine training run, then completing 13 is really no big deal. When you have a good long-run base (close to your race distance if possible) that's when you can start working to get faster. My personal guideline for races is you can try to run LONGER or you can try to run FASTER than you've trained, but if you try to do both, the crash-and-burn likelihood is high.

For any first-timer, I suggest the goal should ONLY be to finish. Who cares how long it takes, the only thing you have to worry about is the course time limit. If they're not shutting down the finish line before you get there, then you're fast enough. Just the act of training for, and completing, a 13.1 mile race is a very significant accomplishment!!

That brings back memories -- my very first race was a 5 miler. I had been running for a whole 3 weeks. I was just curious about this running/racing thing, and my marathon-running sister was trying to talk me into training for a half and running with her. I had no clue what I was doing, I went out way too fast (of course) and had to drop to a walk within a few minutes. I walked/ran the thing -- had no clue about timed intervals as a strategy, I just couldn't sustain a running pace for all that long. I ended up finishing in 58 minutes something (which I thought was FABULOUS) and as I passed the finish line I heard the announcer finish the awards ceremony and say "and thanks to all of you for coming out today ..." They were about ready to roll up the finish line ... :p But, as an over-40 female, who had NEVER participated in any kind of organized sports, just crossing the finish line to cheering crowds (OK, one or two cheering people) created an incredible feeling of accomplishment. It was a completely new experience, a revelation.

So, then I was hooked! I did train for and run that half marathon with my sister, a few months later, back in 2002. And I've run 3 more half marathons, a full marathon, and who knows how many 5K / 10K races since. And, I did get faster -- eventually! :D

Hope you don't mind this trip down memory lane ... ;)

KimProbable
09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi runners!

DH and I did our trail race today. We opted for the 16.6K route instead of the 23.3K, partly because of a couple of cruddy runs and party because I'm trying to make running less stressful.

We had a fantastic run and we finished in 1:52, 5 minutes faster than we did on our trial run a couple of weeks ago. I had some problems with my ankle from an old ankle injury (I fell down some stupid stairs three years ago) and I was worried I'd have to cut the run short, but after a bit it seemed to warm up and it didn't hurt again until near the end.

The course was made up of rolling hills without any real flat areas, so I've been focusing on doing legs lifts and squats at home to strengthen up my glutes. It really paid off when I was powering up those hills faster than I usually do!

The kids raced in the 600m/1.6k kids race earlier in the morning and they thought it was great. DD was so excited to finally be running just like Mom and Dad. DS sprinted way too quick at the start and had burning lungs half way through. He said he thought he was going to die, poor fella. My Mom stayed with the kids while DH and I raced and then they joined us on the final stretch to the finish line.

kittycat40
09-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey running chicks. I'm stopping in to tell you there has been a rumor started about me. I've been told that people are talking about my recent weight loss and fitness. "Well, she's a long time marathoner..."

too funny. :lol: I think it's been quelled. Perhaps it is fate that I should make this fiction a reality. :chin:

BTW, the run was great-- ran and chatted the whole way thru with a perfect weather day as background.

denialisnthappiness
09-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I just got back from my first 'race'... a 10k.. omg I'm tired but I definitely want to do it again!

So many hills though! Odd really I had no problem running up and down the hilly parts its the flats I tended to want to walk on? (I did have to walk a couple of times).

Took me 1hr 10mins 52secs... not amazing but I've never competed before :o

midwife
09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Congrats, Denial!!!

:lol: at the rumor Kitty. But hey---you must have a runner's body now!

I asked Ilene to make a running FAQ sticky at the top of the exercise forum for all those questions that pop up every few weeks. Feel free to check it out and ask questions and spout wisdom. :)

Mrs Snark
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Kim -- the trail run sounds AWESOME! I need to look for trail races somewhere close to me, it would be so nice to do a race offroad! Congrats on a fantastic race!

Denial -- great job! Doing a 10k for your first race is awesome, I bet you're totally hooked now! Wasn't it a blast crossing the finish line?

Kitty -- the sooner you make that rumor a reality the better! ;) How nice that you look like a long-time marathoner, hot-cha-cha!!!!!!

This morning I did a 10.18 mile run and was very pleasantly surprised to find I had no problems and definitely could have kept going and completed a half-mary distance! Even with the heavy heat and humidity I had zero problems aerobically (I am finally learning to pace myself). I did get achy knees and ankles by mile 9, so I have between now and the Feb race to get more conditioned for these longer runs. I'm very excited though, because now I know without a doubt that I'll have a fun race in Feb -- and the weather then should be in the 50s which will make it SO much nicer!

kittycat40
09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Kitty -- the sooner you make that rumor a reality the better! ;) How nice that you look like a long-time marathoner, hot-cha-cha!!!!!!

Nifty, eh? :carrot:

Sounds good on the 10er, Jo. How does one strenghthen knees and ankles for longer runs like half marathons and full marathons and iron mans and wait- let me get 'a hold 'a my imagination!

kittycat40
09-22-2008, 10:34 AM

:lol: at the rumor Kitty. But hey---you must have a runner's body now!

:)

Forgive the repeat quotes, I'm still trying to master this web thang--

thanks chicks-- I am heartily considering the NJ marathon-- at the very least, the half.

DH and I were laughing together-- there's also a rumor floating around that he once played professional baseball-- so not!, but he played in a certain league as a kid that is also the name for semi-prof bball. (double a's)

MBN
09-22-2008, 10:58 AM
How does one strenghthen knees and ankles for longer runs like half marathons and full marathons and iron mans and wait- let me get 'a hold 'a my imagination!

:D I think it's just a combination of establishing a good running base and strength training and cross-training to keep the muscles in balance. And don't forget stretching too! :exercise:

It's so exciting to see everyone progress, and run their first races!! There's just nothing like it!!! I did a 5 miler on Saturday, a hot and sweaty 9.5 miler on Sunday (aiming for 12, but we bailed after 9.5!), and 5.25 peppy treadmill miles this morning. Today is the first day of autumn, but you'd never know it here in sticky South Florida -- low 90's again today ...

JulieJ08
09-22-2008, 11:45 AM
How long does everyone warm up and cool down? I'd love to hear how everyone is doing it?

Pink Geranium
09-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Everyone, I've been busy with other things and no time to write but now I am catching up with everyone's stories and I'm glad to hear how everyone is doing.

I forget who, I think it was lene1974, who asked about running groups? I know that in my area there are many running clubs and they all have websites, and there seems to be a larger group, Road Runners? I think? with groups all over the place. I am not much of a joiner so it doesn't really interest me, but I have met several people at 5K's who are new to running like me and have joined a group and really find it encouraging and helpful, with advice, camaraderie, etc. I would think you could look on the internet or ask at local running stores? And I am very happy your 5K went so well and inspires you to do others. I felt just the same way.

I have run in a couple of 5K's since I last wrote and they've gone well. I have tried to look for ones that have something different about the course rather than the simple flat neighborhood run. So it's meant lots of hills, running in parks, etc. Fun. I plan to do one on 10/11 in a park, x-country. It's for women only! Anyway, I really like that kind of course. This Wednesday I will do one in a town near here that will be on a course I have already run in a different one earlier this summer. I am interested to see how that compares, since I think the weather for one thing will be a lot nicer - 70's vs. 90's! But I do know that giant hill will still be there, so I'll have to be ready...

I am interested in how much everyone runs. For me, the most I've done is a 9.2 mile run, and that was quite an effort. I'm happy now with the 5K distance so going 5-6 miles at a time is good for me and will help me avoid injuries. Plus, I also want to continue to swim 3x a week (I do about 3000-5000 yards each), so I have decided that choosing my race length is going to depend on how much time and training I want to do, rather than picking a length and training for it. I guess there is only so much time in the day! For right now this seems to fit and I believe I can do the 10K I signed up for in November pretty easily with this plan.

Well, that's more than enough to say! Happy Monday!

nelie
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey girls,

I just wanted to check. I haven't been running (or biking or swimming) due to being sick the past week but next week I start my official running training program! I'm excited and scared and nervous.

nelie
09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Chickie chicks, just wanted to pop in again. I did 1.5 miles tonight, same slow pace at 4mph. The first 3 minutes though were a warmup walk, rest was jog/walk. And it was hilly.

kittycat40
09-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Sounds great Nelie! :woohoo:

Today I did 2 miles on the treadmill and tried to push myself a bit on the speed. I went from speed 6 (10 min/mile) up to 7 in differring patterns with one minute at 4 (15 min/mile). The time was mostly done at an incline of 2. I got good and sweaty and feel like I accomplished. :D :cb:

Mrs Snark
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
How long does everyone warm up and cool down? I'd love to hear how everyone is doing it?

For me the answer is "briefly" so I'm sure that isn't helpful. I usually walk around enthusiastically for a few minutes before I start running, and when I'm done I so the same thing in front of my house, walking circles in the street for just a few minutes until my heart rate feels very normal. Doesn't take long.

I usually run negative splits with my very first mile being my slowest, so I obviously get some warming up during that first mile as well.

Mrs Snark
09-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Chickie chicks, just wanted to pop in again. I did 1.5 miles tonight, same slow pace at 4mph. The first 3 minutes though were a warmup walk, rest was jog/walk. And it was hilly.

Great job! Did you have fun? :)

JulieJ08
09-27-2008, 01:38 PM
For me the answer is "briefly" so I'm sure that isn't helpful. I usually walk around enthusiastically for a few minutes before I start running, and when I'm done I so the same thing in front of my house, walking circles in the street for just a few minutes until my heart rate feels very normal. Doesn't take long.

I usually run negative splits with my very first mile being my slowest, so I obviously get some warming up during that first mile as well.

Thanks for answering! It's helpful to hear about what different things work for different people. I just reached the point in C25K where I have no more walking intervals. I'm doing it to the podcast for convenience (will be so glad to be done with the techno in a few weeks!) and he includes a 5 minute warmup and cooldown. And that's about right for now, but I'm starting to think about what I'll be doing when the "program" is finished. :carrot:

nelie
09-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Tyler - I did have fun except since it rained all day yesterday, the path was slippery from the mud and moss so I would slip/run and it made me nervous.

I did a good walk this morning, no running because I was walking the dogs. Later on today I need to do weights and maybe some biking. Tomorrow is swimming and maybe a hike if the weather cooperates.

kittycat40
09-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for answering! It's helpful to hear about what different things work for different people. :carrot:

I didn't answer b/c I'm sort of ashamed to say not much on either end. Probably not a great idea but I'm pretty time limited and somewhat instant gratification. :dizzy:

Mrs Snark
09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Pink Geranium -- ever since I read your post I've been mind-boggling over the 5000 yards in the pool you swim. That... simply...rocks. On the rare occasion I've done a 4500 yard session of uninterrupted freestyle just to prove to myself that I can swim over an Ironman distance (2.4 miles), but I haven't done that often. And it took me a long time to build up to being able to swim that distance with no breaks!

Do you come from a swim background (like on a high school or college team)?

In answer to your question about how much everyone runs, I prefer to run every other day and I consider running my "main" sport. On the in-between days I usually bike and sometimes swim.

You know, if you throw a little biking into your schedule you'd be in prime position for triathlons (which I also do). Since you particularly like x-country stuff you could look for an Xterra race, I'd bet you'd love it. http://www.xterraplanet.com/

MBN
09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Happy Monday!

warm up / cool down .. Usually not that much for me either. I typically start and end my runs with a minute or two of brisk walking, but that's about it. I also stretch when I'm done, so I guess that counts too!

how much do I run ... At present, I run 4 days/week. 3 of the runs are about 5-5.5 miles long and the 4th run is my weekly long run. That varies depending on where I am in my training cycle. Off season it may just be 6-8 miles, during half-marathon training I'll go up to 14-15 miles. I cross-train the other 3 days -- strength & core training, mostly.

I'm in awe of you guys and your swimming ability ... I'm just not that strong of a swimmer. I can save myself from drowning, that's about it. There's a ton of sprint triathalon opportunities here and I have friends that do them, and it sounds like such fun. I can handle the biking and running, but the swim part just psyches me out. If I had access to a pool regularly, it would be fun to work on it, but right now there's no time, and no ready pool access, so I just do other things. Maybe some day!!

I had a great long run yesterday -- 14 miles, the longest yet this season. Even though it was still HOT, I finished strong and felt surprisingly good, completing it in under 2.5 hours, a good "long run" pace for me. I'm feelin' good about the upcoming race season, I think I'll be ready!! Now I need to find at least one Saturday 5K, to work a bit more on speed. For some reason, most of the races are on Sundays this year ?? That just doesn't fit my schedule very well.

Anyway -- wishing you all a great week of running!

midwife
09-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Warm up? I just hit the road. Cool down? I walk for a bit and stretch---I should do more for both but I don't.

Good work on the 14 miler, MBN.

Pink Geranium
09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi, Everyone,

thanks for your compliments, Tyler. Yes, I have a strong swim background; I was an AAU age group swimmer a really long time ago (we did not have school related swimming in my area). My team was really good, with Olympic team and National team members and medalists. Although I was not at this level, I worked out with these people for a lot of years and got a lot of good coaching and instruction. Swimming is a very technical sport and it has paid off in my later life, as it's been pretty easy for me to do a lot of work in the pool (I mean as far as knowing the strokes, etc.) I have to pay attention to my yardage due to shoulder issues, so I try to get the most out of the time I spend in the pool, and do a lot of interval training now. More interesting and more effective. Swimming was what I turned to when I decided to get into shape and it's never let me down. Plus I just really like being in the water!

People have mentioned the triathlon angle and for now I don't consider it, as I have poor balance and eyesight (swimming is obviously meant to be my sport!) but I don't rule it out someday. (I really wonder what I'd be like on a bike these days???) Running is so new to me now that I hope to feel out its possibilities. I do like the trail running and x-country a lot (I don't know what possesses me to do this given my situation but somehow I've managed to survive. Possibly fools rushing in where angels fear to tread, but...) I know there are Xterra events here, I have been checking them out. Thanks for mentioning it. I do feel I need to get into better shape in order to cope with the challenges and distances, but it sounds like fun.

I appreciate all your encouragement and knowledge, it's very helpful to me and makes me feel like an athlete again. That is definitely a role I thought was over in my life! Who knew?

kittycat40
09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi running chicks,

I am often surprised when I feel like my runs are equally hard as when I started out. Every now and then I'll have a magical run but for the most part I am aware of plodding along. It's ok, just a bit surprising to me. Today I ran 3.4 miles from one work site to the next while wearing a back pack loaded with a moderate amount of stuff. True, I was up most of the night with this incredibly annoying cough that I couldn't find relief from. Perhaps sleep deprivation was a factor. But really it should have been an easy peasy run for me.

And I KNOW I am a better runner than I used to be. Sometimes I just don't feel that way. I'm not at risk for giving up, just a little bummed I guess. Boy, I must be tired :rolleyes:.

Do you find yourself easily depressed or upset when sleep deprived? :shrug:

nelie
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Pink G - I also have poor balance! Which is why the bike scared me at first but I'm warming up to it.

Mrs Snark
09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Yes, very. I get extremely moody when I've had broken sleep. And it will also effect my running/biking performance.

This morning I did a 9.02 mile run that came soooo easy I couldn't believe it. It was good stuff, I wish I could bottle it and drink on those days when the run is feeling hard. Today I just felt comfortable the whole way and was "in the groove". That feels so good!

midwife
09-29-2008, 09:51 PM

Ummm. YEAH!!!! That is pretty much my life today. Lack of sleep is wearing on me. Tomorrow will be better. I have learned that when I am sleep deprived I do NOT make any decisions, I do not yell, I do not allow myself to get upset. I am very mellow. My kid could come home with a blue mohawk and I would not even raise an eyebrow. Cause I know that when I am tired, my emotions are not to be trusted, my temper does not match the situation, and I am not a clear thinker.

So I'm very chill now. But it has taken years of practice and I am not perfect with it. But I am not my usual self, so I try to stay as evenkeel as I can as to not disrupt anyone else negatively based on my mood.

Pink Geranium
09-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi,

To Nelie, I'll be interested to hear how biking goes for you, what you do to train and get over the feeling that you are always on the verge of falling off?

And to Kittycat40, your mention of how you are surprised that runs don't seem to get easier even if you know you are getting better? I have felt this way myself. Once in a while it all goes along just right, but mostly it seems I really have to be working. What I have noticed is, that as I get stronger, I do get more out of each run - distance, faster times, etc. So my improvement is there, just not in how it feels. As I get better, I up my effort, that's what I think is happening, without really knowing it. So it can seem just as hard as in the beginning.

I remind myself that I have about a million years of swimming experience and the same thing has been happening to me just about as long - many days I get in the pool and feel stiff, each lap is effortful, etc. I accept that as normal, in fact I don't usually even think about it at this point, just do my work, so I try to remember it is the same for my running.

Easier to do all this, and just about everything else, when I'm not tired, same as you, I certainly agree with that.

Mrs Snark
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm so excited to run tomorrow morning, it is supposed to be 65 degrees out! :carrot:

I may have to do a few run days all in a row at the end of this week if we get a more cool mornings like that. It is too exciting to pass up!

nelie
09-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Pink G - The way to get better and more confident at biking is to bike. I went from horrible to less horrible. And I can even have moments where I forget fear when being on a bike but it will take time and lots of practice.

jenguin
09-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Warm up/cool down - my warmup usually consists of walking to my running partners house as she's generally ready to go when I get there or I walk/slow jog to her house even when I'm running by myself since it's an easy landmark to remember. My cool down is walking about a tenth mile (although sometimes less after the run. I do try to stretch, but do much better about stretching when running with someone else - not sure why - I guess because they're better about it than I am!

I never think that runs get easier - just that there are some good ones and bad ones. I think you have to have the bad ones sometimes to make you appreciate the good ones and on the plus side, even when it's over, you know you've done something good for yourself.

Primm
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi girls, can I join in? I'm not a "proper" runner like you yet, but I'm up to week 2 of the C25K, and I've been lurking here all month. :o

I'm so inspired by what you have achieved. My plan is to do the C25K, then work up to a 10k, and there's a rather large 10k here in June every year that I want to run. It's organised by my local running club, so that's what my aim is at the moment.

Cheers girls!

kittycat40
10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
:hug:

thx cool running chicks.

had a nice 6 mile run this am.... almost got hit by a car who stopped at a sign but didn't look my way. I usually don't proceed a car b/c I generally am not in a major rush. But this time I was literally on top of the car/sign and was movin' along. Ughhh! I had my hand on the car as she was driving *almost* into me!! And this am I though to place an id in my sports bras just in case I got splattered. huh. (it's my very good fortune that was not the case)

She, with great annoyance and anger yelled "SORRY" but I know she didn't mean it :p

kittycat40
10-01-2008, 12:08 AM
and hi Ruth!! glad to have ya here! :)

MBN
10-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi running chicks,
I am often surprised when I feel like my runs are equally hard as when I started out. Every now and then I'll have a magical run but for the most part I am aware of plodding along.

Even after all this time ... runs are almost ALWAYS hard at the start for me. In reality, I know that I am actually running faster and more efficiently, but the perceived effort is the same. It seems to take a mile or so to get into the groove. I usually gauge the "success" of my runs at the end, rather than the beginning. But, yes, most of the time it still feels a lot like work. There is the occasional "magic" run, where it feels almost effortless, where everything feels right with the world and it all "clicks" ... but that is still the exception rather than the rule. It always seems easier after that first mile or two, and I usually feel great after the run, but it certainly isn't "easy".

I will be out of town visiting the mountains this weekend and am looking forward to some great hiking and a run or two in much cooler weather -- and on hills!!

Mrs Snark
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Come on over the October thread! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2388398#post2388398)