The Maintenance Library - Skinny B**** Take a look!

View Full Version : Skinny B**** Take a look!

jillnicole03
09-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Okay so I'm about to go on a plane trip and was looking for a few books to take so I don't die from boredom lol

and the book 'Skinny B****', came up. I remember hearing good and bad comments about this book and thought maybe I'll take it with as a possible read.
Then I found this link where you can read a portion of the book FREE.

Awesome =]

Here you all go!

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Jbe0GLeU_EC&dq=skinny+*****&pg=PP1&ots=z4VNg2O-8U&sig=lDXmhq6AKTg5nYCJxSPXLPX7mjw&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fq%3Dskinny%2B*****%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26client%3Dfirefox-a&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title#PPP1,M1

Suzanne 3FC
09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Check the vegetarian forum, we've had a few threads about it :) It's one of those books you either love or you hate :lol:

the slim me
09-01-2008, 03:55 PM
If you're vegetarian it's got some good information. If you don't mind the language.

jmfan317
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeh!! I actually own the skinny B book. Its good if you can handle the language and the graphics things they do to animals.

jillnicole03
09-04-2008, 11:06 PM
OMG!!!! I LOVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE this book!! I;m so happy I picked it up!! I'm making my Mom, best friends, and significant other read it!! lol
Not only that... sense I read the book I have ate all vegan and DON;T want to eat bad things at all!!! I'm like on a cloud! I'm so happy I read this book!

I can totally see why some people hate it, with the whole 'sailor talk' lol if you know what I mean.. but I don't mind it, plus there is so many benefits and knowledge!

I'm so HAPPY =]

Greedy Gretchen
09-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I read that book. I loved it too. Personally, I could never become a vegan! I need meat! lol..... but the part about the animal cruelty really got to me. Reading that book really makes you WANT to become vegan!!

kari1980
12-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Thank goodness I got cash for Christmas last night, hehe. I've been buying a lot of stuff off amazon and this is one item I really want to purchase. http://www.imageuploader1.info/image/BG/s.gif

2ndChance09
12-27-2008, 06:14 AM
I really want to read that book!

helwa588
12-27-2008, 10:29 AM
personally i think the book's main aim is to push the vegan lifestyle. and the i really didn't think it was necessary for all the crude language to be in it.

Thighs Be Gone
12-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I read the free excerpt. Thank you for posting it. However, I do not enjoy reading words that were in the text and will not be purchasing the book. I think the information was good but there are too many sources out there offering the same without the 7th grade boy's lockeroom talk.

georgiad
01-11-2009, 07:50 AM
I read this, and I really don't remember 'crude' language or 'sailor talk'. As far as I can recall, they just tell it to you straight in a way that captures your attention and gets you raring to go!

However, I find the overall message of the book too extreme, and I couldn't go vegan. In addition, they mention a lot of foods that we don't get over here in the UK and as such it's not that helpful if you're not from the US. Also, the animal cruelty stuff and the stuff about the condition of the meat also only really applies if you're in the US, because the EU has laws on meat that regulate this kind of stuff. But I think that if you were already a vegetarian and you wanted to kick it up a notch, this would be a great way to go about it.

NightengaleShane
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
It is a very interesting book and made me laugh several times, but I could never go vegan. I think some of the things the meat industry does are absolutely horrible, but my willpower to go vegetarian (let ALONE vegan!) isn't strong enough. I guess I feel like I am on enough of a diet as it is!

thisisnotatest
01-12-2009, 10:13 PM
--

jillnicole03
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Just an update on me.... I read Skinny B**** on Sept 2nd, 08 and to this day I'm completely vegan eating.

Which is really weird I never in my life would have thought I could give up cheese, which was my number 1 food let alone meat and all the yummy things that come along with it. But I don't feel like I had to give up anything, it's crazy. I don't miss meat at all, I'm really glad I read this book, and it is nice to have options, some people love informative books, but for me it was nice to have some humor as well as information. Made it easier to read for me.

beerab
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
lol OMG I love this line: Soda is liquid Satan!

Next time my husband reaches for a soda I'm going to tell him that lol!

jillnicole03
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Haha I liked that too! My favorite though (from the book) is Progress not Perfection.

betsysunqueen
01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
personally i think the book's main aim is to push the vegan lifestyle

The authors have been very upfront about promotion of the vegan lifestyle being the main aim of the book.

sacha
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't agree with the book because it goes on and on about how terrible processed products are, but tons of their recommended menu items are full of processed junk (ie. veggie burgers, fake chicken). Also, there is insufficient protein and just a general lack of balance in the menus as well.

For example, "a sh&&&load of cantelope" is not a balanced breakfast. If you want to eat a balanced vegan breakfast, you should be eating a whole grain bread or cracker, naturally ground chickpea hummus and perhaps an avocado (carb/protein/healthy fat).

I love the list of organic foods in the back though :) It's not an ultimate solution, I think the menu is seriously flawed. Yes you will be SKINNY but you will not exactly be nourished.

nelie
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
sacha,

I think they were trying to mix the ideas of eating raw foods (fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch) with foods that are familiar. I haven't read the book but I heard the cookbook they have is full of fake meats, cheeses, etc. I think fake meats and stuff are fine occasionally but telling people to become junk food vegans straight from the start, probably isn't the right approach.

catsnhorses
01-21-2009, 11:42 AM
I borrowed this book from the library recently. I wasn't too impressed, the book camp stuff doesn't really cut it for me; I end up resenting the skinny you-know-whos. Maybe my lifelong prejudice against rail-thin models kicked in, but they seemed a bit too smug and uncaring about the issues that some of us are up against. I thought the potty-mouth bit was unnecessary too. Don't we have enough words in the English language to get our point across without resorting to the overworked f-word that really should be put out to pasture? The vegan thing bugged me too, made me feel like these chicks really had An Agenda. The animal cruelty issues distress me, but I don't think everyone needs to go vegetarian or vegan in response; compassion in agriculture and farming is what is needed, but that's a whole 'nother rant. I don't think I would like the authors if I met them IRL, and I prefer books by authors I feel more empathy with on some level or other, even if our choices and preferences in life are very different.

PS But the "soda is liquid Satan" is a good line, I have to admit!

jillnicole03
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
For me, never thinking I possibly could be vegan-- knowing there was so many substitutes for the things I thought I loved was what made me know, I could do this. I can be vegan it's not that big of a step, I think they realized in peoples head going vegan seems so drastic but really it isn't so they want to show you the fun things first, then once you are comfortably vegan you can start learning more foods and about your diet.

I personally have been vegan since the day I read this book, and I loved that they made it seem so easy (because it really is) now I once in awhile have something from the cook book, but usually foolow a very healthy vegan diet. (McDougall)

kitten
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
one of the claims the book makes is that you will look better.
i have done the vegan thing on and off and i do notice a difference in how i look. when im eating mostly fruits and vegetables i look healthier and younger. my skin looks more supple. when im eating junk, i look like a hag. lol.
ever notice that people who smoke and/or drink a lot look old before their time? im convinced what what you put inside you is going to show in your face.
i dont know that you would have to be vegan to see the difference, but increased fresh produce has an effect.

jillnicole03
02-21-2009, 11:13 PM
yes i totally see a difference in my appearence! :)

sportmom
02-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I read the link and while I had shunned the book from early reviews and threads, I have to say, as the kidney girl on this site, I totally agree with what she writes about soda doing to your bones. The part 2 that she didn't get into is that all the calcium leached from your bones gets dumped into your kidneys to be processed out of your body and if there's enough in there, you get a free gift of calcium-based kidney stones! So reading that right there gives me some fondness of the book and what else it has to say. Will have to check it out now.

EsperanzaBella82
02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
I am reading this book right now based on the feedback from this thread. Thanks for recommending it!

MiaRocks
03-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I so want to read this!

angelmom313
03-28-2009, 06:26 PM
I have no desire to be a vegan...I saw the book at the bookstore and flipped through it and don't think I (personally) would waste my time on it.

SweetScrumptious
03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
There's a girl in my nursing class who swears by this book. She is a vegetarian and I am not.... although I think about reading it just to get some nutritional information out of it (and for the fun read). I have no intention of becoming veggie/vegan but, hey, reading it won't hurt me!

ishatorres
03-31-2009, 12:34 PM
I love this book.... but its more of a book that reveals whats going on in the food industry and the contamination we ingest all the time :?:and why you should eat more naturally:carrot:... like i know folks love those 100 calorie pack stuff:dizzy:.. but do you realize whats in it.. and what those ingredients can do to you years later:mad:...

and the title and vulgar language is just for you to pick up the book and be interested...lol

SweetScrumptious
04-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Ohh.. I got tempted and went out and bought "Skinny *****". I've read half so far and I'm reading the rest at work tonight. I don't think I can give up my carnivorous/dairy eating ways, but I can listen to the other stuff. I personally like the style of writing as it catches my attention. It can be insulting to people who do not use inappropriate language... but since I use that language constantly :o, I don't mind it.

Plexi
05-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Its such a terrific read :3
I could never go vegan though, but I've started to switch to more natural products instead...even stopped drinking diet soda and just chugging away at water

SkinniVivi
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I work with a woman who is vegan... I believe she's been so for over 10 years. The thought of going vegan is really daunting, but when I look at what she eats, it all looks really yummy. I had no clue that Skinny ***** was all about going vegan, but I'm interested in reading it.

Tryingtostayskinny
05-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I listened to this book on CD a while back. I'm quasi-vegetarian, and thought it made a lot of good points. I wish I could swing a vegan diet, but I love cheese too much!

ditavonteese89
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I Loved this Book ! I found it hilarious, and they also Gave tons of good advice and tips... My only small problem with it was I wish it wasn't just solely focused on vegetarian/vegan eating !

VeggiePowered
05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I've read the book and didn't care for the language (although I will admit to one or two laugh out loud moments). FWIW, I think "The China Study" is a better book -- if you are at all interested in being a veg*n. Also the "Engine 2 Diet" was very good. You can probably get both from your local library -- or google them. They both have websites. They are all the same principals, just written differently (and IMHO better). ;-)

MissKoo
05-15-2010, 12:45 PM
This is my "edited" response:

I just want to add that it seems there are some rather large jumps between stated premises and conclusions. Has there been a conclusive study that aspartame causes arthritis, birth defects, lupus, ms? The authors state it has been "blamed" for these things - top of page 14. So, it has been blamed but that is not "proof", is it?

Is there any evidence as aspartame breaks down in the body to methylalcohol? If so, why aren't people going blind from methanol poisoning (blindess as a common result from methanol poisoning - like bootleg liquor or so-called wood alcohol) after using it?

Don't get me wrong; I'm no aspartame fan.

I'm just saying . . .

I DO believe that statement on page 28 "Sugar is like crack" even tho' I've never tried crack nor do I personally know anyone who has. As far as sugar can be used covertly to hook a person chemically on the high from eating a food containing it - whew . . . crack.

The tone of the book, with all of the f-bombs and name-calling (I bet she wouldn't call me a p^s&y to my face for drinking coffee), can really repel some readers. I'm no pollyanna and I can swear like a trucker if need be . . . but they're calling me, their dear reader, a lot of derogatory names and I don't much like it. To whit:

Being a fat pig will hinder you (page 12)
Coffee is for (expletive for female body part) page 15
. . . your junk food . . . will outlive your fat, sorry a&s (page 17)
Sober up, ***hole (page 18)

I'm going to try the other books mentioned in this thread.

Again, this is just my opinion. I do not enjoy reading a book where I feel insulted as a reader (whether it is specious reasoning, name-calling, what have you).

Serval87
07-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Sadly, having everything organic is just impossible for me. It's freakin' expensive.