Exercise! - Cycling Chicks--Sept 2008

View Full Version : Cycling Chicks--Sept 2008

midwife
09-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Cycling chicks is for new and experienced riders and everyone else too!

midwife
09-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Nelie, congrats again on the bike. I hear you with the crotch issues. That is what makes my rides, uh, less than totally enjoyable. I am still jacking around and NOT getting an appropriate seat. Perhaps that will be one of my goals for today.

I find that my hands and wrists do bother me a bit on longer rides as well, but my wrists tend to be my weak points. My trainer showed me some wrist strengthening exercises, but have I done them yet???

Gina, I am in awe of people who clip into their pedals. That may be something that I someday maybe perhaps might consider. DH has those, but the thought of being attached to my bike---hmmm, gotta work on that fear, cause I know they can be very helpful--so he says!

nelie
09-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I didn't even think about wrist exercises. I have a history of carpal tunnel and although it has mostly disappeared, my hands went numb on the bike ride and all I could think is that if my hands are numb, then I can't brake.

As far as clipping into the pedals, that does sound super scary to me. My bike doesn't even have toe holds. I may need to get something though because sometimes my feet do slip and its unnerving to me.

I also did buy a new bike seat and I do think its more comfortable but I was still sore from the riding day to really tell.

I wrote an entire diatribe about it on the Lifting forum but have any of you read Selene Yeager's blog? http://fitchick.bicycling.com/ I find her pretty inspiring and I was reading one of her books to help me overcome my fear of the bike. She ran the Ironman yesterday and came in first place for her age group and #16 overall for the women.

Which also brings up another topic, is anyone else training for a tri? I think there are a couple of us right? Midwife? Tyler? anyone else?

JuliaDH
09-01-2008, 10:14 AM
DH took of DD training wheels last weekend! And boy can she fly! She was ready back in June but her confidence was not! I am so proud of her.

I have carpol tunnel issues to and after 5k I am numb. But hey I could go 5 min last summer! With more lbs gone the better my wrists and hands. I do wear braces for longer rides. Sure do give pretty tan lines!

Gonna help friends move this am then me and the boys are going out for a ride.

chick_in_the_hat
09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I learned the hard way not to clip in while riding in traffic. Plopping into the middle of the street at a stop light that didn't turn green on time...:eek: But for the bike trail? It ROX. You get way more of a workout because you get pulling up action along with pushing down. Also excellent for stationary bikes. I also clip out before a big hill...again....lesson learned. :dizzy: I do have pedals that can be used with or without clips.

LOL @ JuliaHood and tan lines...even with 40 SPF sunscreen I still have tan lines for tshirt, gloves, socks, and capris...I look so HAWT in a swimsuit. :p

I haven't had problems with numb hands - but I am just recently recovering from a thoroughly annoying 8 month case of tennis elbow. So do your stretching and exercises. :rollpin: I still wear an elbow brace for longer rides or if I know there will be a lot of hills.

nelie - thanx for the link - she does look quite inspiring! I haven't talked myself into a tri yet...I might try a bike race first. I run sometimes...especially when the elbow thing had me banned from the bike. I swim sometimes, too...why not combine them? :carrot: Ironman, tho. WHEW.

mazza
09-02-2008, 12:19 AM
So are you girls that are training for triathlons members of clubs? I know some people who are, but I dont really know how things work in the US when it comes to participating in triathlons and such. In truth, I'm not fantastically informed about how things go down here in AUS, either... lol. But I'd love to know more.

nelie
09-02-2008, 11:42 AM
From what I've read, if you plan on doing road cycling and competing, then you should join a club.

My goal right now is just to learn how to ride a bike without having to worry about 'rules'. Although I've also read that if you ride with better riders, its easier to get better yourself. We are riding with a friend who has participated in triathlons before so she gives us advice.

Bike stores and what not are good places to find clubs/events.

Mrs Snark
09-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Mazza, I'm not a member of a local tri club, but I frequent the www.beginnertriathlete.com website (and have a training log there). It is a great site for newbie (and experienced) triathletes...

I am volunteering at the local tri in October (one I've raced twice) since I figured it was time to give back. I'm looking forward to it. The race is sponsored by the local tri club, so if I meet people I like there I may end up joining. You definitely don't need to join any groups to race, though, I certainly didn't.

CyndiM
09-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm nervous about clips too but am adding baskets. My chiropractor swears it makes riding more efficient because you don't waste energy keeping your feet in place.

I find I have more problems with my wrists when my seat isn't angled just right. It's been adjusted a few times and one of the wrong adjustments led to a lot of arm numbness. Now that we've adjusted again things seem better.

Chick - I've got Keen tan lines. Does limit the sandals I want to wear ;)

mazza
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Jo - thanks for the website, it's been really interesting to look through and read.
They've got some pretty neat resources on there.

mazza
09-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Hey everyone - I'm in need of some advice.

The bike I'm riding now (not my BMX) is about to complete its falling - apart process, and so I've been looking for a new one to buy for quite some time. The thing is, I'm not sure which sort of bike I should go for.

Initially, I had thought a mountain bike since it would probably be best suited for the sort of riding that I do, but the idea of a hybrid has also tempted me.
Also, If I ever did participate in a race/triathlon, would a mountain bike be suitable? I'm willing to spend a fair amount of money which I've been saving (for me anyway) - which is AUS$1000 / US$840 approx.

Any suggestions? Should I just stick with the mountain bike choice?

nelie
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm no expert but...

Mountain bikes are very good at being mountain bikes and you can handle some tough terrain. Roadbikes are very good for racing on paved type surfaces. Hybrids can handle a little bit of both but aren't necessarily great at one or the other. If your focus is to do a lot of rough terrain, then I say go with the mountain bike but that probably wouldn't be that great for triathlon type racing. If you definitely want to do triathlons or similar racing and the terrain isn't that rough, then go with a hybrid.

That is just based on what I've read

Mrs Snark
09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I did my first triathlon on a mountain bike (they have a special division if you are racing on a mountain bike usually called the "fat tire" division) and my second on a hybrid. My husband does all his triathlons on a mountain bike since that is the only bike he has.

My advice: I'd say if you are just going to be a hobbiest at the triathlons -- sticking to sprint distance races -- then get a mountain bike since it sounds like your regular riding will be mostly on rough terrain. My husband loves to hop curbs and ride dicier dirt paths and that sort of stuff -- things I never do on a hybrid.

You can always consider a tri-specific bike later if you get addicted to triathlon and want to go the serious distances...

nelie
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Tyler - I wasn't aware of fat tire divisions and that is interesting! I agonized a bit over a hybrid vs a road bike and went with the road bike because it felt light and easy to handle and planned to go on fairly smooth terrain. Later on when I get better, I'd like to get a more rugged bike although I couldn't see myself doing some of the insane stuff mountain bikes are designed to do.

mazza
09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info, ladies. I think based on what you both have said and the things I've been taking into consideration - (what i'll mainly use the bike for, for the time being), I'm going to go with a mountain bike.

That's great to know - the fat tire division thing. I had no idea! I love this thread. I'm learning heaps and getting to talk to fellow cycling chix.

:)

chick_in_the_hat
09-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I've been contemplating a road bike for a while...I'm holding back because of the cash involved in getting it. But if it's speed you want and you don't need sturdy, get a road bike. Nelie already said exactly what I was thinking about hybrids "Hybrids can handle a little bit of both but aren't necessarily great at one or the other. "

It's all about what you want to use it for primarily.

Happy shopping - Mazza! :)

dlphnmomva
09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
hey everyone. I found this thread by looking on the Calorie counter forums. I am def a newbie here and to cycling. I actually just started today. I had it in my head like when i was younger and good ride my bike from morning to night without a problem. boy that is not the case any longer and i am sure my weight does not help, but that is why i am starting to cycle in hte first place. I found that it is a good calorie burner and cardio work out. well i only made it through 35 minutes today, but i really do not feel discouraged about it. It was 35 good hard minutes in which when i returned i was dripping with sweat and i thought my legs had misteriously fallen off somewhere enroute. I think this may be a really good workout for me, i like the scenery and getting out of the house.

mazza
09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Happy shopping - Mazza! :)

Thanks, Chick in the Hat :D

I've been checking out all the mountain bikes at my local store - which happens to have a great range. I'm thinking of a Giant Avanti Black Thunder, or Boulder.

They have this one bike that attracted me instantly. A BEAUTIFUL red cycle.
I almost melted when I saw the price. AUS$7600.
....hrm. I think I'll stick with a Giant in my price range for now. ;)

P.s. Welcome, Dlphnmomva!

Mrs Snark
09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Welcome DolphinMom!

Biking is an excellent workout and the nice thing is that it can always stay challenging (even as you get stronger) by changing up distance, gearing, routes, speed, etc.

I've often thought about taking one of those biking tour vacations, like these: http://www.backroads.com/find/

What's cool is now they offer tours where you can bike, hike, raft, and kayak all in one tour, like this Alaska tour: http://www.backroads.com/trips/MALC/alaska-biking-hiking-tour

How AWESOME does that sound? I highly recommend requesting a catalog from that Backroads site, it is very inspirational to flip through before going on your own bike rides and really makes you think about the interesting things you can do in your own local area!

chick_in_the_hat
09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the links, Josephine!! That is nifty stuff. :yes:

dlphnmomva
09-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome.
Those tips will come in handy. I would have loved to go cycling tonight but was unable to due to hurricane Hanna threatening to reek havoc on the area. It was rainin pretty hard here this afternoon, and tomoor is supposed to be even worse. :( Oh well, what can you do wih mother nature. I will be doing some Cardio and Pilates to keep me going.

Again, thank you for the support and advice. I will be sure to look the websites. I would love to take a trip white water rafting. that is my dream vacation sometime.

nelie
09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey all!!

Although yesterday was miserably windy and wet, today was a gorgeous day. In the morning, my husband and I went swimming and then since it was so nice, we decided to go biking. We went to a trail where we thought the roads were closed on weekends to cars but they weren't. I was a bit nervous riding so close to the edge of the road and having cars pass me, that we went on the paved path near the road for a nice ride. We then ended up exploring on a gravel path. I wasn't too fond of the gravel path due to my thin road bike tires. I now think I want a mountain bike too (oh god help me) but that will wait for a few years.

I did pretty well even with the nervous start and there were some muddy areas on the paved path (again not too fond with my road bike).

chick_in_the_hat
09-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey Nelie - craigslist.org. Find a cheap used bike like a mountain bike or even just a cruiser. Always handy to have an extra ride to drag a buddy along sometimes, too.

I had a fabulous ride today, if a bit hot by the end. I shoulda gotten outta the house sooner. :P I did like 20 miles in 1:15 hours. I was having fun finding a person to pass an then digging in until the job was done. People as pace cars. :s: It feels good to pass way more people than pass you.

mazza
09-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Hey everyone =D

I spent yesterday with my Dad, for fathers day, and we went cycling. (I'm 17 and don't live with him so it's a semi-rare occurence).

I try as much as I can to get him out and exercising, and it's fun when we do stuff like that together.
We were at Centennial park, which is a large park in sydney - they have bike hire, tracks and all sorts of great facilities for families and sporting groups.

I had a blast, burnt a ton of calories and thought I'd share this since here is probably the most appropriate place =].

Hoping you are all well.

Seeya!
Mazza

chick_in_the_hat
09-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Mazza - That's a better Father's Day gift than a tie for sure. :cool:

I had a great ride today - a little windy, but much cooler.

nelie
09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Mazza - that sounds fun!

I got my bike fit adjusted on Monday after my bike got its first tuneup. Then on Monday, I did a workout on the trainer at home and it was much more comfortable and I was able to do half an hour without issue. I expect to do some home bike workout tonight as well.

mazza
09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone!

Nobody's posted in a while, so to start up conversation again:

How's the weather in everyone's parts?

Just thought i'd bring it up because spring has really just hit Sydney and these past few days have been hot and dry - a nice change from the seemingly endless rain.

I forgot how much I loved cycling in hot weather, even though its dry and I sweat like crazy.
Nevertheless, It's better than getting wet because of the rain and being more prone to bike accidents.

Speaking of accidents - I took a mighty fall the other day when I skidded on a bunch of leaves around the corner from my house as I was returning home. So, now I have this gross looking bruise with some grazed bloody bits. It looks like a work of art. Ew. ANYWAY - geez did I go off on a tangent.

Hoping to hear from you all soon..... =D
Mazza

nelie
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Mazza - I love spring and i'm sure the warmth is welcomed although it can be annoying.

I've been preoccupied with other things so no biking. I've started running and I've been swimming. Its pretty hot here and I expect to bike on my trainer tomorrow (yeah I know exciting).

mazza
09-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Nelie - swimming sounds lovely - especially during hot weather. I'm with you on the trainer thing - they can be somewhat boring, but hey, it's always a great option to have, for when you can't actually get outside.

Mrs Snark
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
It's HOT here. I so can't wait for the cooler weather which makes running and biking so much more pleasant!

chick_in_the_hat
09-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Just checking in - the weather here is gorgeous - I rode to work yesterday and today. :D

mazza
09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Sounds good, Chick in the hat! How long does it take you to commute? Nice ride?

Mrs Snark
09-20-2008, 11:15 AM
I had a nice ride this morning up the route I'm planning on running tomorrow morning. I'm planning to run a 9 or 10 miler tomorrow so I was looking for landmarks along the way to encourage myself that I'm almost at the turn-around point.

I had a nice ride, but DH didn't come with me since his knee was bothering him and I always have more fun riding with him than alone. I did see a giant pack (flock, herd?) of peacocks, along with the all-white peacock which is always neat. Oh, and manatees and dolphins, too, so all and all it was a nice ride. :)

chick_in_the_hat
09-20-2008, 12:55 PM
If I take the direct route - it's 10 miles thru town. I especially enjoy the bridge over the freeway - I like to wave at all the people sitting in the traffic jam. :s: Usually I do that in the morning. The scenic route is along the bike trail - it's more like 15 miles...and in the morning it's a little sketchy as people who sleep along the river tend to be getting up. I don't feel comfortable riding alone. But in the afternoon it's a great ride, it's not uncommon to see turkeys, peaccks, deer, rabbits or skunks. :eek:...occasionally a coyote or moutain lion. I like to watch the seasons change - right now everything is kinda dry. But soon the leaves will turn.

Manatees and dolphins - way cool!! I don't think I've ever seen a white peacock.

Mrs Snark
09-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow, have you seen a cougar while out biking? I'd love to see one in the wild as long as it isn't nibbling off my face or anything!

Manatees and dolphins and peacocks can't eat people (I know cougars rarely do, but they CAN), so they are slightly less adrenalin inducing I think! ;)

Lydia227
09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Manatees, dolphins and peacocks. Wow. You really get some great things to see while riding. I saw a horse once. :s: ~sigh~ :lol:

Hopefully tomorrow will be a great riding day here too. It's been two weeks since I've been out. We had a really aweful windstorm here and left the whole city without power and a lot of limb debris for a week. We are just now cleaning it up. Obviously the trails would be a mess. Hopefully they are clear now. I'm planning to get a few miles in while DS2 is in preschool. Course it means I'm going to look like something the cat drug in once I pick him up but that's okay.

chick_in_the_hat
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I haven't actually seen a cougar - I think I'm supposed to call it a moutain lion...it's a BIG CAT.... :eek: I've seen the signs saying they exist and every once in a while someone gets into trouble with one.

It really is a treat to see wild animals just doing their thing. It's another bonus of a bike that you are pretty quiet - you see more stuff. :D

FB
09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Ah, my bike is one of my favorite things.

My husband is working nights this week, so to amuse ourselves my 4 year old and I are doing long rides in the evening, tonight was 2 hours, last night about 90 minutes. He attaches to my bike with a child's half bike - so we make a tandem. I'm glad he enjoys it as much as I do!

I've been getting in my fast paced 20 mile rides in the mornings now, which is so very different than my evening rides. I don't like it, but I'll take whatever I can get while our schedule is skewed.

Mrs Snark
09-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Ah, my bike is one of my favorite things.

My husband is working nights this week, so to amuse ourselves my 4 year old and I are doing long rides in the evening, tonight was 2 hours, last night about 90 minutes. He attaches to my bike with a child's half bike - so we make a tandem. I'm glad he enjoys it as much as I do!

I've been getting in my fast paced 20 mile rides in the mornings now, which is so very different than my evening rides. I don't like it, but I'll take whatever I can get while our schedule is skewed.

It sounds like a lot of fun to be out there on a tandem with your son! Two hours! Wow, he must have a great attention span!

FB
09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
You know, he really does have a great attention span. Of course we're constantly chattering the entire time, we both love to talk nearly as much as biking. The time honestly flies, I didn't notice how long we were out until it started getting dark.

I try to make things more interesting for him, take trails through interesting scenery, the woods, downtown, the train station. We're constantly talking about what we see.

It's funny, because from head on it looks like I'm talking to myself. It's not until passersby see us pass that they get the wary look off of their face.

mazza
09-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Awesome to hear you're doing something so fun and active with your son, FB :)

I'm addicted to tearing up the Sydney Park hills these days. They are super fun to cycle over - coming up the bigger ones is a challenge and a half, but then rolling down the other side makes it totally worth it.

It's a mixture of fear, exitement and way too much speed. Heee hehehe =D