Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: September 1 to September 15

nelie
09-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm going to try to start the thread unless Mel comes along while I'm writing :)

I've been absent, this past month has been crazy. Work was crazy and I was lucky to get enough sleep on some days let alone exercise. I also had an exercise 'crisis' as I'd like to call it. I questioned whether or not I needed exercise right now to lose weight. It was a stupid question (for me) because the answer is YES. I did horribly when trying to just concentrate on diet alone. Exercise grounds me and I love weights but its cardio I am not too fond of.

Something happened this past month though and now I'm in the process of training for a triathlon. The plan is to do a relay leg of a triathlon. I have never swam laps before but I know how to swim. I've tried to run before but my knees complain. I was deathly afraid of bikes. Now to imagine me training for a triathlon is a crazy notion but...

Tomorrow I start swimming and plan to buy a years pass at a local rec center. I have a couple real swimming swim suits, which I've never had. I also bought some swim training equipment. The last time I went swimming was when I was snorkeling in some rough waters. I know I can swim but I also know I can't lap swim, yet.

Two weeks ago I bought a bike. Now this was very monumental for me. We went into the bike store and the bike we tried felt very comfortable and stable despite the itty bitty thin tires. My first couple practice rides near home were wobbly and full of fears but two feet were off the ground. Saturday, we went for a 11 mile ride and I rode most of the way (except I did walk at a brisk pace near the end off and on because of saddle 'issues'). Yesterday, we bought a bike trainer so I can practice at home some as well. I really need to practice my form and hand placement.

As for running, we'll see. Pavel swears that training kettlebells is better training than running itself and includes examples of such. Of course kettlebells are on the menu for exercise but I may need to break down and run a couple times. I do plan to buy some decent knee braces before I do, at least for my left knee.

Of course all I'm talking about is cardio in a WL forum but that is also on the plate. I will also being do weights and kettlebells as part of my exercise plan.

I bought a book on cycling which was called "Every Women's Guide to Cycling" because of my extreme fear of cycling, I figured it would help and it has. It has given me quite a bit of encouragement and I don't know if I could ever be great or good, but I just want to be the best I can. Anyway, the author of the book, Selene Yeager, has a great blog. http://fitchick.bicycling.com/ She was in the process of training for the Ironman in Louisville which actually happened yesterday. Her goal was to be under 11 hours and 30 minutes and I checked this morning. She was at 11 hours and 8 minutes. How can anyone run/bike/swim for 11 hours is beyond me but I'm impressed with her goals, training and this women I don't know, I'm happy she met her goal.

Ok anyway, that is enough yappity yap for me. I just wanted to share. Although I am not where I wanted to be at this time of year, I am happy to know I have some goals I want to set and I have a variety of exercises to keep me entertained.

Weights rule, strong women rule and I hope September is a good month for all.

midwife
09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Nelie,
I've been following your bike adventures in the cycling thread but haven't had time to comment. I am so proud of you!!! I too overcame a severe bike phobia this summer and I know how hard it is! Yeah, Nelie!!! I think that all of these adventures are so related: weight loss, strength training, trying new things even if they are scary. For me, strength training has given me a lot of confidence to try new things. I know my body can handle a lot, and that is due to weight lifting, so I see a lot of connections between your goal for a triathalon and weight lifting.

Swimming is really my weak point for a triathalon at this time, which amuses me, since biking was something that up until this year, I would have sworn I would NEVER ever EVER get on a bike again. And yet!!! I overcame that fear too.

Maybe we need a triathalon thread?

nelie
09-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Midwife - Thanks! I think if swimming is your weak point, I'd highly recommend reading that fitchick blog. It is pretty inspirational and swimming was her weak point as well. I may also take a swimming class to brush up on it but the class I would want to take doesn't start for a couple months. I am glad to hear that I wasn't the only one with a biking phobia as I do feel like such a wuss sometimes when my fear of falling and hurting myself badly takes over. My mantra is 'falling is not the worst thing that can happen'.

I do think things like weights are empowering to women just as much as something as training for a triathlon so I do think they are linked. I do eventually hope to do a full triathlon at some point in time but I am definitely starting from scratch which is why my goal is to do a relay leg in a tri.

Lydia227
09-01-2008, 10:14 AM
NELIE! I'm so proud of you! A Triathalon! Just to do the training alone and to announce it is courageous. :hug: Wherever this plan/path experience takes you I know you will only succeed and get from it all that you are meant to further enrich yourself. Thanks so much for sharing. ~sigh~ I've been inspired by you this morning.

Now, off to ride my own bike. It's been almost two weeks of gym workouts and those lovely little birthdays are all over! :yay:

jamsk8r
09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Nelie, you are so brave! I can't imagine doing 11 miles on a bike...pretty sure I'd keel over after 2. Good luck with the triathlon training!

So, I got on the old scale today, to see how I did for a challenge thread I'm on, and I couldn't believe it: 190.0! That means I am finally out of the "obese" BMI category, which was just a milestone I was shooting for, plus maybe I have finally busted through this plateau. I know the BFL is definitely changing my body shape...almost 4 weeks into it, the muscles are popping out like crazy, and my new smaller pants are almost too loose to wear. :)

Mel
09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Wow! Congratulations, nelie (and thanks for starting the thread). I logged on to start a "New Month:what are your Goals thread and found that's just what was here.

My goal is to join all of you cross training fitchicks and TRY to stop training like a bodybuilder. It's no longer my goal, and although I'm very fit and strong, and my morning long cardio has given me lots of endurance, I'm tired of training this way. My problem is HOW to change it given my work and home constraints. Not to mention increasingly fragile and complaining joints from any impact activity :(

Today is a "eat within reason" day, then back to fitday.

Cheryl :bravo:

Mel

jamsk8r
09-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Mel, thanks! Re training: Maybe you need a new sport or hobby. Anything you've always wanted to try but never did when you were too heavy? Maybe something you've forgotten about? Something low impact but challenging (has to be, for Mel, obviously)...hmm...rock climbing? hiking? surfing? wrestling? (lol...JK, but you'd probably be good at that..it's all about strength and speed) I can't wait to hear what the new workout plan is...I know it's going to be something crazy (I mean that in a good way).

PS Mel, did I miss you telling us what happened with the LBD?

WaterRat
09-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Okay. I always feel like September is the start of the year. Must be the holdover from starting school. :) Anyway, I've pulled my head out from where it slipped for much of August, and my food is much closer to where it belongs. Tomorrow I need to do the same for exercise. I've not slacked off completely -but when I did get to the gym it was strictly cardio. I WILL be back to WL tomorrow. I'm tired of feeling poorly. I've had some recent health issues - but none that need to stop me from exercise, and I know that I'll feel better being back there. I've NO night meetings this week so it's a good time to recommit, and I'm not traveling until the first week of October, so I've a whole month to set this routine in place.

I've been thinking of adding swimming into my cardio mix for some variety. In college and grad school I swam a lot and I'd like to get back to it. All I need is new goggles, and those are easily obtained. I looked up the pool schedule, but they still have the summer one posted online, so tomorrow I'll call them. (It's the HS and they're not open today - already tried that. :) )

Rock on September!

nelie
09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Cheryl - Congrats!

Mel - I agree, figure out a hobby or what not. My #1 goal right now is to protect my knees so that is why running is on hold.

I ended up doing a 3 mile mountainy hike today. It was nice to be out and although I can walk for miles on flat surface, hills/mountains are always tough. I like it though especially the scrambles :)

jamsk8r
09-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Okay, I have a lifting goal for September, one I've already been working toward, and that's to move up to the 25K bumper plates for my deadlift. I've got about 24 lbs to go, if I'm not messing up the math there. Wouldn't mind hitting 95 on my bench press, but that would mean I'd actually have to practice that, and I've been using DBs lately.

Sorry, forgot to say "thanks, Nelie!"

denvertechchick
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey all,

I've been MIA, too. Cheryl, a BIG CONGRATS to you on your 4 weeks of BFL success!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

I am kicking up a new BFL challenge TOMORROW. Today I went shopping and the saleslady invited me and my friend to a dress show. I can't go on that day because I am going to a birthday party. She said "it must be a big one - grandchild?" I'm only 40 - I haven't even gotten around to having my OWN kids yet! Well, my friend was very kind and said that she is seeing a difference from my workouts. We live about 2 hours away from each other, so it was good to get a perspective from someone I've not seen in a while.

I am cleaning out my closet and taking stock of winter clothing. I have enough fleece to float a battleship! It's sad to see my beautiful clothes that are too small to wear right now. However, I am keeping them in front of me to keep me inspired. I shall wear them this winter!!!

I shall!

It's kind of tough to get inspired about fall fashion when it's 85 degrees outside. Hmm. Perfect for a bike ride!

sportmom
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Mel, how did the hot anniversary dress work out? Pls share pix if you have some!

I'll join in on this fresh September thread! I agree it starts like something new, and I historically always have my best success with sticking on plan in the fall for some reason. I think the cool mornings are invigorating - first time you really "feel" like exercising since April-ish.

I'm continuing my healthy anti-stone eating plan. With both girls getting on the bus, I've gotten dh to agree to start walking with me in the mornings before work. We did it last week before all the rain and it was an hour long! I think we will cut out some loops and take it down to 45 minutes.

My fav show The Biggest Loser starts up again in 2 more weeks and I'm looking forward to that. I know it's completely unrealistic, but I try to at least exercise while watching it, so that's something.

TTFN!

Mel
09-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Fran :wave:

Gee, I'd been hoping everyone forgot about my LBD challenge:o I went with plan B and we forgot to take pictures. We take pictures of gardens, fencies being built, the structural supports in our attic, but never of ourselves :p

I decided Plan A dress was too dressy- I may NEVER wear it! and found a really cute black and white more casual dress that I loved and could breathe while wearing :)

Cardio done, food packed, some sort of weight workout at lunch. By my old schedule it should be leg day, but I didn't lift yestday which means I missed chest and back. I may do a very mixed up "most body" routine.

I did restart a new physical hobby/sport last year. I started skiing again after a hiatus of 25 years. And love it! But it's a little tough to maintain the enthusiasm in August other than buying a new parka :dizzy:

Have a good one!

Mel

Lydia227
09-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Good Morning Everyone. :coffee:

Wow. I'm hungry today. :dunno: Didn't really do anything different today during my workout to justify it. Maybe my metabolism is revved up from all of the foods I ate over birthday week and I'm going through some kind of adjustment back into my normal eating again.

I had a nice ride yesterday morning. The skies were perfectly blue and only the slightest breeze going out. Enough of a breeze making things more of a challenge on the way back but that's okay. I'm more motivated to get back to my car than I am heading out.

I like to think that with my helmet on, sunglasses and the different set of clothes I'm wearing out there from the gym that I am somewhat incognito. Not the case. A couple of people from the gym spotted me out on the trail. One of the individuals was someone who helped me through my first spin class. It was kind of nice to catch up a little with him. But really, how can people recognize others with all of that stuff on them? I would never have recognized him. Well, part of the problem is my sunglasses. They are not great and there is a ton of glare. I know that I pass people who are smiling or attempting to grimace a hello as we pass but I really can't see anything well enough to reciprocate in time. I can't believe I need more gear for this but maybe new sunglasses are in order too. ~sigh~ Lots of ideas for Santa this year.

Cheryl: Congratulations on your success in your current BFL challenge. :hug: And good luck with your goals for this month.

Fran: Nice to see you. I would love morning walks with DH. What a great thing to look forward to this fall.

Okay. I'm starting to get foggy and need coffee. Have a great day everyone.

nelie
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I swam this morning! I've never swam laps before and it was amazing. I swam for approximately 425m (I think that was the amount). I was surprised that I was able to swim across the length of the pool without stopping.

What amazed me the most is how hungry I was after my workout. Luckily, I had packed plenty of good snacks for today and chowed down on them.

Mel - You need a summer and a winter sport!

tikanique
09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi all, Glad to see we all survived the summer with all those cookouts, vacations etc. that are pure sabatoge to even the best diet and exercise plans. :cbg:

Nel - training for a triatholon is so impressive. I for one, will be sending you good training vibes all month long, in hopes that you surpass your goals. :goodvibes

Mel - skiing? It looks so fun, but I'm so afraid to try it. I hope you get onto the slopes or wherever else your new fitness hobby takes you. and I agree with Jam, knowig you, it will be LOCO!!!! :dizzy:

Lydia - morning sunshine. your bike ride sounds great! Nothing like blue sky, warm breezes and miles of trail. I dread having to put my bike up for the winter, even though it kills my :tape: every time I ride it.

Hi rest of the gang. Today is the first day of school for the crew so I dropped them off, then went to the gym for 40 minutes of cardio and my first weight lifting session since January. I did chest and tris; it was great! :woohoo:

I now have over a week under the belt of exercising and eating clean. :carrot: I attended a tailgate on Saturday and brought plenty of healthy food in my purse to avoid the food traps. I did sample a few items; no more than a spoonful of 3 differnt things. At the end of the day, the hostess packed up all the baked goodies for me to take home to the crew. :drool: I left them there. I don't need them in the house calling me at 3AM.

My goal for September is to be able to run for 45 minutes straight, :woops: strengthen my lower back muscles to cut down on the stiffness and pain, :wl: and continue to stay wheat and high fructose corn syrup free :hun:.

See ya!

WaterRat
09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
:wave: Who made the rule that short work weeks after a long weekend need to be soooo busy? I've been running all day, and here it is 5 pm and what do I have to show for it? :lol: I did get a new cell phone today - that must count for something.....

I have all my gym stuff ready to go to the gym in a few minutes. And I called the pool and got their lap swim hours. DH promised to buy me some new goggles on his errands today, so I'm nearly good to go swimming. :D Eating has been clean all day, and dinner is planned, so September is off to a good start for me.

Tiki - good job on the tailgating and exercise!

Mel
09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Yay Tiki!!!! One week of establishing new (old) habits :) You're on your way. Do you still coach cheering? You are going to need strength and endurance for that.

Pat- Days after holidays are MISERABLE! Sometimes it seems like it's not worth the holiday...nope, I need those extra days :lol:

Cardio done. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical then ran 2 miles on the treadmill. Hope My knees are still functioning by this afternoon. Guess I should take a pair of flats in case I can't walk in heels. Yesterday I went hose-les and have lovely blisters on my heels. I guess I'm an old lady, but I'd rather wear pantyhose!

Still mulling over workout options. Yesterday I went with a standard leg workout with some olympic lifts thrown in.

Have a good one,
Mel

tikanique
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Mel - I USED to love going barelegged - until my thighs started rubbing together. :flame: Can't wait to lose the thunder thighs so I can toss those abominations in the trash. Have you tried the hose that slip around your heel and toe tips but don't go up your leg? I bet you have AWESOME legs, and you should flaunt 'em! :devil:

Water - what temp is the water in your lap pool? Lifetime's is freezing! Not sure why it's like that.

Hi rest of the crew! Happy Wednesday to you all. I gave up coaching cheer once the Girl moved strictly to All-Star. Now I'm just a chaufferur. ;)

I got up at 4AM, got in back and biceps (yes, I STILL hate working biceps :mad:) and 35 minutes on the treadmill alternating running and walking. There was a young girl there at 430 also - couldn't have been more than 13, lifting weights with her dad. She looked like her pillow was screaming for her. :yawn:

have a great one e'rebody!

nelie
09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Tiki - Congrats on the clean week. Also I can say I'm training for a triathlon but it is obviously the very early stages. Kind of like someone saying they are training for a marathon when they are start c25k.

Not sure what exercise I'm going to do tonight, maybe kettlebells although I'd like to practice on my bike some more. Yesterday evening, I rode on my bike indoors for about 20 minutes, then did my NRLW strength workout and then stretched (mostly yoga style) for about 20 minutes. One of my new goals is stretching every day. Tomorrow morning is swimming again.

Transformer08
09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I was using the dip-assist thingy today (where you do dips but can cancel out however much you want from your body weight) to work my triceps and on the machine, right where I can read it as I do the dips, it says that it's not significantly more effective to do 2-3 sets versus just doing 1 to the point of muscle failure.

Everyone always talks about 2-3 sets. Does anyone here just do 1 set of all their exercises?

Thanks. :)

tikanique
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I will only do one set on something new to check form, and see how I feel afterwards (read gym chicken :-) Otherwise I do 4 sets with 6 -10 reps. If I can do more than 10 reps, I increase the weight.

nelie
09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I never do one set because I really consider the first set a warmup.

Mel
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I usually do 3-4 sets unless I'm totally wiped out and it's getting dangerous.

Lydia227
09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone :wave:

Tiki: The indoor pool temp my gym is really chilly too. I like to think it's to encourage people to swim in order to increase their body temp through exercise, but I'm probably wrong. Congrats on that clean week too! I'm doing better with the out of control hunger today too. As a matter of fact, I was so darn busy I missed my mid am snack, lunch and uhm dinner. I did sneak in an afternoon snack and a protein shake about an hour ago. It's really too late in the evening for me to eat anything else.

So, I woke up late and missed my morning workout out. :frypan: Actually, I woke up about 45 minutes before the alarm and decided just to rest...next thing I knew it was two hours later. :dunno: I must have needed the sleep. Fortunately, I did get a yoga class in this evening. Tomorrow is going to be bliss, I'm going in early while it is still dark and lifting just before the sun rises then I'm heading out with my bike. Who knows, maybe I'll actually find a spot outside to do some real sun salutations during my ride. :D I got a new fitted jacket, gloves, air in the tires and readjusted my seat for the hundredth time. I can't wait! Happy Happy Joy Joy. :dance: (anyone here remember Ren and Stimpy?)

Night all.

Mel
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Lydia- Even Superwoman needs to rest sometimes :) but too busy to eat?? Wow, you've achieved one of my goals. :rofl: I doubt I've missed a meal in the last 25 years.

Yay Tiki on a clean week! Are you feeling more energy? Thanks for the vote on my legs- they actually do look pretty good for an old lady, if I do say so myself. Except for the endless bruises :lol3: I haven't gotten any less clumsy in the last few years.

Nelie- Sounds like you are going strong, too. Here's a question out of the blue for you: do you know of any particualrly good day hikes around Winchester, VA?

Cardio done, food packed, chest and back at lunch. I actually managed to make my shoulders and abs sore yesterday. That hasn't happened in a very long time. I have a new tricep, lower back, abs exercise which I'll describe tonight.

Mel

nelie
09-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Mel - Front Royal is 26.9 miles away, which is near where i've gone hiking (Shenandoah). I think there are some other hikes as well and I can check my VA hiking book when I get home.

I was exhausted yesterday and I decided to do some house cleaning because someone is coming over on Friday. Also, I noticed my wood floors have been looking a bit dull and I bought some wood cleaner I wanted to try. It did a pretty decent job. I only did a couple sets of kettlebells last night so otherwise yesterday was a rest day.

This morning I did 450m of swimming. My shoulders are a bit sore. I'm going to try to go swimming tomorrow morning as well. I may try to fit in some NRLW in tonight or something else.

I'm actually a bit amused at how my pants get tight, loose, tight and now loose again. It only takes a couple pounds. Since I'm on a roll, I keep thinking 'this might be the last time i wear these pants because they are getting big'. Its a good thing.

denvertechchick
09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey groovy cats!

Nelie, congrats on the swimming!

Mel, I'm sure your legs look fabulous.

Has anyone heard from Meg? How is she doing?

Transformer, I do anywhere from 3 to 5 sets, depending on the exercise and my goals. But one thing I have noticed that helps me progress is this: While doing a set, I should be struggling at the 7th rep. If I'm not, it isn't heavy enough. It's taken me a few years to realize this. Sometimes I'll do one set of 12, then a set of 10, then 8, then 6, and then 24. Sometimes I will do three sets of 12. It depends, but that 7th rep rule has really helped me make progress. I hope that helps.

The weather here is cooling down and it is FABULOUS! I love autumn. The trees are just barely thinking about changing.

Cheryl, how are you doing? You are a big inspiration to me!

Lydia - I love Ren & Stimpy!!! I am so glad you love your bike. Isn't it just the best cardio ever?

I decided not to be upset about the grandmother comment. Especially since I got carded last weekend. :p

Tiki, I hate pantyhose, too. I don't mind working biceps, but working triceps has always been a painful chore for me. Now I am getting used to working them and they don't hurt as much. But boy.... upper body is always tough for me.

Gotta run - hello to all I may have missed! Hope you all have an awesome day!

tikanique
09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Lydia, sun salutations makes me think of Hollywood's version of ancient Aztec people bowing to the sun. :flow1: Hopefully, you'll wear more than a loincloth and a couple of bead necklaces. Yoga sounds good. :yoga: I'm thinking I need to add more of that to help with my lower back. It really is bothering me.

Mel, I'm so envious that you can get in weight training during lunch. The only gyms near my job cost an arm and a leg so if I paid to join them, I wouldn't have any limbs to lift weight with. :lol:

Great job Nelie. I'm glad you are able to toss the big pants out. :congrat: I'm even more impressed that you got in housecleaning even though you were exhausted. I'd have been cuddling a pillow somewhere.

Hey rest of the gang - Friday is almost here!!!

I had the WORST experience with protein powder yesterday. I bought a tub that was about 1/2 the price of what I used to get, mixed me a glass of it, drank it down and spent the rest of the night lying still as possible so it wouldn't come back up. :whoo: It was thin thin THIN and the consistency of it messed with me mentally. I'll try to mix it with oatmeal instead but if that doesn't work, I'll have to throw it out. I did shoulders and 40 minutes of cardio this AM. The next two days will be cardio only; i'm saving legs for Sunday when I have more time. :sumo:

Have an excellent day peoples!!

Lydia227
09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Lydia, sun salutations makes me think of Hollywood's version of ancient Aztec people bowing to the sun. :flow1: Hopefully, you'll wear more than a loincloth and a couple of bead necklaces.

:rofl: Where do you get this stuff? :rofl: Yea, I won't be wearing any loincloths out there thank you. It's a bit of wind tunnel anyway. :o. So I got there about an hour later than I planned but still had a very satisfying workout and ride. I went to the gym for a 15 minute elliptical warmup, back and chest and a little abs. Changed into my riding pants pulled out my bike and went for a 16 mile ride. At the beginning of the ride I did stop at a little park to do the salutations. (no beads required) Great fun. Tomorrow will be an indoor workout early, with heavy legs.

Nelie: The swimming sounds wonderful. Keep sharing your nautical workout with us so I remember that I should eventually add this to my cross training too. For me though, there will be lessons involved first. Oh gosh, and while I was riding this morning I thought of you. THANK YOU so much for sharing the title of the book you are reading as well as the link to the website. I'm looking for this in my library next. (Love that place) I really want to learn all that I can about this bike for increased confidence and safety. Thanks again!

Denver: The grandmother comment...good let that one go. Obviously it couldn't apply to you if you are still getting carded. :devil: Although, I'll admit, its been a while since I've been carded. That's okay. If I'm actually ordering a drink, which is rare, I really don't want anything delaying the process at that point. ;) I probably earned it.

Mel: About the missed meals, I truly do not want to do that on a regular basis. You know what the culprit was...coffee. MMhmmm. :yes: I made two cups to take along with me, dropped the little one off at preschool and the oil service light on my car went off. Since I had no one with me I decided to take the beast in. It supposed to only take 30 minutes with no appointment. It needed to have the tires rotated as well. An hour and half later I finished my mug and made another cup in the service waiting room. By the time I got out of there I was buzzing. Found myself in the grocery store when I suddenly recalled I needed to pick up shirts for the boys first. Drove past the store and went to Staples for supplies instead. ~sigh~ A friend called and then invited the young one over for a playdate which gave me extra time so I hit the remaining places on my list. Met up with a friend in the afternoon for an hour at the pool and then raced back home to pick up both boys. An hour remained between this and the yoga class. :dizzy: A good day, just a very busy one. I stuck with one cup of green tea this morning. Lessons learned. Looking forward to reading about your new workout. :D

WaterRat
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Morning. :wave: Had a horribly busy day yesterday, and like Lydia I missed both my snacks. Ended up at a Chamber of COmmerce luncheon, which was soooo not worthe the $15 price tag (even if it was the City's money, not mine :) ). I ended up eating a small chicken breast and some broccoli. Then some interviews that were scheduled to take 1.5 hours ended up taking 3.5 and it was after 5:30! I went to WW and spent 1/2 hour just to weigh in! But I'm still right where I've been - give or take 0.2 lbs - all suumer. Which is great - down 12 lbs from last Sept. Now need to work on getting some more off. DH hasn't found any swim goggles in his travels, but he's going to Anchorage either tomorrow or early next week, and there's a Sports Authority there which should have them. I could order some, but the shipping would be more than the goggles..... Today is supposted to get nicer (hasn't yet!) and if it's nice after work, I'll do a 3 mile walk from the gym rather than :tread:

tikanique
09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I am STARVING!!!!!! had a 1/2 cup oatmeal at 4AM, 3 oz turkey ham, 4 egg whites (one yolk) and grilled veggies at 630A, a 4 oz turkey burger and a cup of mixed veggies at 1130 and then a serving of grilled chicken over a salad with cheese crumbles and dried cranberries at 3PM and I'm still starving!!! What is wrong with me?!?!?!?

nelie
09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Tiki - sorry to hear that! It happens to me sometimes too.

Mel - I checked my hiking in Northern VA book and besides Front Royal, there is Sky Meadows State park in Delaplane, VA which is 17 miles away. There is also Harper's Ferry, WV (Jefferson's rock/Split Rock hike) which is 29 miles away. There is also Strasburg, VA (Signal Knob hike) which is 20 miles away. So it really depends what you mean by close :)

Mel
09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Nelie- thanks! I figured anything would be half an hour to an hour drive, but I couldn't find anywhere to stay that looked NICE (really nice) closer to where the parks were located. I didn't want to drive more than 4 hours for a 4 day mini vacation, so Winchester looked like a fairly central spot. My original idea was to go to Seneca Rocks in WV where I used to climb, but there's nowhere to stay there, not much else to do, and it's a longer drive.

Tiki- I'm like that most days. Yow- you have a long day! I'm really lucky to have a gym so close. It's more expensive than other around here, but VERY worth it to me to be able to go at lunch. The have a "lunch membership" (I'm limited to 12-3pm on weekdays and not at all on weekends) that is a lower rate, and I do legs with a friend at another gym on Saturdays. Having to PAY for a gym membership at all was a shock at first, since I've worked in them and never paid before!

Lydia- Beware the swim workouts!!!!! I keep thinking I should get back in the pool, but my last experience was so bizarre I'm not sure I want to repeat it :lol: I felt great until I didn't. Really didn't! Now I understand why my lunch time workout partner just eats non-stop all morning the days that she swims instead of lifting with me.

My abs are even more sore today :p Here's what I did:

Set up a squat rack with the bar at the height that you would use for military presses. (This is one instance where the Smith Machine is exactly the same :rofl:) take 2 towels and drape them over the bar slightly narrower than shoulder width apart. stand about 2 feet away from the bar, gripping a towel in each hand. The further away from the bar your hands are places, the hard this is. While keeping the towels pulled down, your back flat, your abs tight, and your elbows close to your body, lower yourself without bending anything except your arms so that your fists are right in front of your shoulders. Come back up by doing a tricep push up. Keep you and the towels tight! Enjoy.

Mel

jamsk8r
09-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Mel, I am SO disappointed that I didn't see your new exercise before I did my UB workout today. Dang! (phew!) ;)

Denver, thanks for asking...I had a great workout today, UB, definitely right on with the weights, which felt really good (and bad, but in a good way, lol).

Tiki, maybe you're starving because of getting back into the heavy workouts. Hope your new powder gets better. I just disguise mine in a fruit smoothie, so I don't have to taste it...it tastes awful by itself. I'm glad you're doing so well on your workouts. That's about where I'm at, too. I had a while there where I would do 3 or 4 days in a row, then fall off the wagon, but I've gotten in a full week without missing one workout, and working on week two now. It feels good to be on track with that.

One thing I have not been doing is going to the Y. I was really excited to sign up back in June, but I just haven't been using it for several reasons, and neither has my ds, so I'm going to cancel that and start building up the home gym. There's actually a concrete pad under half of my bedroom, so I'm going to set up a section of that for working out. Or, you know, when it gets out of hand, I'll just toss the bed to make room for the cage. (of course I'm kidding about that last bit...mostly...probably)

Hi to Lydia, Fran, Pat, Nelie and whoever I'm forgetting. Sorry, I really need to get on here before an hour after my bedtime, so I have more than 2 brain cells to rub together. I'm off to get my 6 hours. I'd never make it without caffeine, obviously.

tikanique
09-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Mel, I need a diagram, a dictionary AND a stunt double to try that one! :dizzy: You should write a book because you always come up with interesting new ways to challenge your body, push the bar and keep working out new and fresh. seriously!

Lydia, last night I did a 25 minute Yoga workout on Exercise TV and the instructor was doing sun salutations! I didn't realize until then that you were using a yoga term, I thought you were making a sun worship kind of joke. :lol: And no, I didn't run downstairs and grab my loincloth and beads.

Great job Jam on getting in on sticking with it. :carrot: I'm wrapping up my second week as well and I feel great....hungry but great. I'm sure you do too. Good luck with the home gym.

Today is bagel / sugar bomb day in my office and I've not even been tempted to dip my hand in the basket :snooty: which is a sure sign I'm on the right track mentally. It also helps that I slept until 6AM today and am not tired. I'm skipping the gym today and doing Tae Bo when I get home this evening. I've got another tailgate tomorrow morning so I'll hit the gym by 6AM, pack healthy food again so i'll be clear minded and motivated to eat properly.

Also, I tried to make those tuna patty things that I read about on here a couple days (years) ago and screwed up royally. I still ate them (too cheap to toss out food) :hun: but if anyone knows the recipe off the top of their head let me know. It's tuna and egg whites and onions (i thought) and something else. help!

Hope the rest of you are having a jamming Friday!!!

nelie
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Mel - If your library has it, I recommend 50 hikes in Northern Virginia. It does seem to focus on the Shenandoah hikes although has quite a few in the area. I like visiting Shenandoah although we haven't for a while, it does have some really nice hikes including one where you can climb to the highest peak (its a 700 ft elevation change). I haven't been to Sky Meadows but I'd like to go. Also, I have been to Harper's Ferry and I think that is a nice area.

As for me, cleaning took over instead of a second workout last night. Which is good, the livingroom looks half decent which is hard to maintain with my 2 dogs aka master destructors.

Tonight is NRLW and maybe some biking. This weekend, with the coming storm, will be indoor workouts.

jamsk8r
09-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Morning all. :D

My back is sore, sore, sore from yesterday's workout. I've got a hot date with some rubbing alcohol and tylenol after I finish here, so I don't have to spend the day walking around like I'm 97 years old. Running errands with the boy today, mostly boring stuff, but I promised him we'd stop by the Halloween store to look around. Skating tonight.

Lydia227
09-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I didn't realize until then that you were using a yoga term, I thought you were making a sun worship kind of joke.

:lol: You give me waaaay too much credit. I'm really not that creative. But now that you know what they are you can be impressed that I was doing this outside in broad daylight in public. A very big step for me. :D Your head really must be in the right place to be able to throw off those sugar bombs. Which reminds me of something I witnessed Wednesday:

As I stood in line to pay the cashier for my oil change or very expensive cup of coffee, I noticed the employees walking out of the break area with loaded paper plates. One gentleman in particular walked through with two loaded brats, and some other stuff I couldn't recognized. The plate was folding under all the food. Meanwhile another staff member walked toward him. This gentleman was fit. Not like "I lift big things and put them back down kind of fit" but more like runner fit with a lean muscular build you can see in someone's face. As the men passed each other the first one with the plate commented, "Boy, you don't know what you are missing back there..." (we've all heard this one right?) And the second man just knowingly smiled and shook his head yes and kept right on going. There was a look on his face though that suggested that he could not care less about what was in that room. Actually, if I could give it words (without knowing him) it would have been, "Yeah I know what I'm missing, an angioplasty in about twelve years."

I also did a fill in the blank with my own head comments:

Yeah, like the thrill of discovering new physical pursuits that I would have never had the courage or interest to pursue before. Feeling at home inside my own body, being able to wear clothes that reveal my personality instead of sacrificing that to hide my body. Experiencing the deep calm that comes from a great cardio session and the deep clean feeling in my lungs...

It's so hard to resist the foods brought into these social occasions especially when everyone else is partaking and you are standing outside the norm. I guess witnessing this exchange just struck me because it was like discovering someone from your own "tribe". Just thought I would share. Let's see how much of this sticks with me tomorrow when I head out to my Dad's for his wedding anniversary... ;)

Legs were light today despite my best intentions. While I did do a decent back squat today, 115 up from 85 earlier this summer thank you :yes:, I just didn't have anything left for the rest of the leg work. I'm just really tired. In respect for myself and my healing hamstrings I decided to just do cardio and core and call it a morning.

Mel: I think I get the workout. Is it kind of like a horizontal pull up but your standing as you approach and lean back under the bar as you pull on the towels. Just checking before I slide under the thing by accident and everyone is wondering what the :devil: I'm trying to do now. :lol:

Cheryl: Hope your hot date lives up to your expectations. :hug: Feel better soon.

Pat: If anyone has an excuse to miss meals it would be you. Mine is only because of the crazy crisis I create for myself. You on the otherhand, you really do need to bring food with you everywhere you go. :^: I hope you find the swim goggles you are looking for.

tikanique
09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Great post Lydia!

jamsk8r
09-06-2008, 04:18 PM
being able to wear clothes that reveal my personality instead of sacrificing that to hide my body

Lydia, thanks for sharing that. I'm not quite there yet, but am beginning to see all the possibilities. Yesterday, for the first time, while looking at pants, I realised, I don't have to shop in the "plus size" department any more! I even got brave and bought some new "girl shoes", to go with the new wardrobe I don't have yet. Optimistic, that's what I am right now. :)

Legs for me today. Think I'll focus on squats, since it's been a while, SLDL, which I need more practice at, not sure what else. Skating was good last night, so I'll wait until this evening to lift, give my legs a chance to rest from the skating abuse.

midwife
09-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Lydia, your post really spoke to me. Thanks!

I think we're members of the same tribe, all of us here!

WaterRat
09-07-2008, 02:33 AM
Quick flyby here. It's nasty and cool out after a sunny start this morning. The afternoon anniversary party BBQ we were at got moved indoors! But that was good since I was sitting way away from the food..... Totally passed on the cake, too. :)

Lydia - DH did bring me home some really nice swimming goggles from Anchorage. I'll be at the pool Monday after work (it's closed for lap swims on weekends) to give them a try.

Mel - I sort of understood what you were doing, but I'd have to see it to try it!

Good news is that we have hired a new airport manager, and very soon I will not be doing that job anymore. Just back to my "regular" busy-ness. :lol: We had 2 good applicants, and 1 superior one. He will take over very quickly I'm sure, and I'll be relegated to questions of the "history of this matter" type - fine with me! I have two grant reports due 9/15, and one is quite involved, so I've plenty to keep me busy! I stopped at a produce stand Fri evening. They bring stuff up from Washington - fruit mostly - and got peaches, nectarines, pears and tomatos. And then on to the usual Friday evening stop at the local organic farm for radishes, basil, celery and zucchini (ours were a failure). This morning I froze 95% of our cauliflower crop, and then made broccoli soup from the end of that crop. Still have lots of fresh greens, carrots and beets. Peas and string beans are just starting - I have enough for dinner tomorrow.

Hmmm, didn't mean to sound like a produce report. It's after 10 PM - I'm going to bed!

Mel
09-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Lydia- Again, great post!

Being back in the corporate world of real people (versus bodybuilders and gym rats :dizzy: ) has been a huge eye opener for me. At least 2-3 times a week there is a big lunch group that orders in food from a local pizza/sub shop. The favorite meal seems to be a cheese steak calzone with fries :yikes: I can't even estimate the fat, cholesterol and calories involved. Everyone who partakes is overweight to obese, and moans about it. I'm not longer asked if I want to order, but it does sometimes smell good. Until I think about it.

We are members of the same tribe here!

I did legs yesterday with my friend, then cleaned up and went out to lunch (grilled salmon salads all around :) ) with two of my former training clients who had back to back sessions for years and really became good friends starting with their 5 minute overlap time chats while I dashed to the rest room between session :lol3:

The rest of my household is sick and I'm trying to avoid everyone. Laundry and groceries today and trying to stay off the computer after this post. My wrists have been bothering me, so my posts may be shorter for a while.

Mel

Mel
09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
:wave: Good morning! Coffee in hand, cardio done. How was everyone's weekend? It was WET here!

Mel

tikanique
09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

Yep Mel, Corporate America, for all their crying about cutting spending and lowering healthcare costs they spend a lot on unhealthy very expensive meals. I've gained 10 pounds each year that I've been at this job thanks to lunch meetings before I finally decided that enough is enough. Crazier still, we have a room to take naps and a room to comfortably watch TV but no workout room. :soap: Go figure.

Water, your garden sounds amazing!! If I were your neighbor, I'd be like Peter Rabbit climbing under the fence to mooch off of you!!:yes:

The tailgate this weekend served breakfast so it was pancakes, bagels, casseroles and a large variety of baked goods (my superweakness). :stress: I tried a spoon of each casserole, ate fresh fruit and then stuck to the food I brought for myself but it was hard.

I didn't get to the gym Sunday until 4PM but got in a good leg workout. I realized after 10 minutes of struggling on the treadmill :woops: that I'd only eaten about 160 calories for the entire day so I got off, went home and fed my body. :hun: I planned to take today off but I may ride my bike this evening since I didn't do my cardio yesterday. We'll see how the legs feel.

Have a great clean day everyone! :D

nelie
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Mel - I can certainly understand the corporate world food. The people I work with aren't that bad but DH's group is another story... There is one guy that only really eats meat (although he'll eat a veggie occasionally and bread as it is a transport food for meat) and others that eat a variety of greasy foods. There is also a cafe at my work that regularly has chocolate muffins, greasy breakfast sandwiches and HUGE applefritter donuts. I was amazed at the size of the applefritter donuts but they appear every morning and disappear within a couple hours. The cafe also served up my bagel addiction for a while (which is over!). The cafeteria has a decent salad bar and sandwich place but also has its share of grease in the other foods it sells. The salad bar is also very expensive (a decent salad can cost you $7 while a cheeseburger and fries will cost you $3).

As for this weekend, I had a great weekend! Saturday was a rainy farmer's market and Whole Foods. WF had lots of good stuff on sale and I was thrilled. They also had a new item, WF brand unsweetened rice milk. At 45 calories/8 oz, its one of my new favorite items. It doesn't have a lot of protein like my soy milk but its good to mix it up. Since it was rainy, exercise was indoors in the form of weights and indoor biking. Then Sunday was swimming and biking. I can say I slept well last night, woke up at a decent time and this morning was weights and walking the dogs. The bikes actually went in for a tuneup after our bike trip so no practicing tonight but maybe cleaning or kettlebells tonight.

I have a good lunch/snacks planned and feel strong. I have a coupon for a bagel or muffin in my purse from a local grocery store and I have no interest in cashing it in. So weird as as I mentioned above, I have had bagel addictions in the past and have a weakness for bagels. The coupon expires today so it'll just have to expire.

Lydia227
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Glad you all enjoyed my post about the workplace carry in. :^: And Midwife you are correct. We are all of the same tribe here. I know that one of the reasons I've been able to navigate through the last few years of maintenance and losing has been because I all of you are on this journey doing it too. :hug:

Nelie: You've got so many great workout options in your post. It's such a beautiful day here that after reading about your cardio sessions on the bike I would do the same except I have to get DS2 in about half an hour.

Pat: You have a lot more growing in your Alaskan garden than mine here in the midwest. I have tomatoes though, a little basil and rosemary :dunno: I have to keep things very simple here right now. The tomatoes are chopped up and put in the freezer for bisque later this winter. Oh, and you were the airport manager too?! Pat, if I ever travel to your town the first thing I'm going to look for is the bronze statue of you! Considering all that you are responsible for in your community they do have one right? :D

Tiki: A ROOM TO NAP IN?! Are they serious? ~sigh~ Okay, I will admit that naps are very important. If it were realistic I would suggest everyone take a half hour power nap everyday. It makes a huge difference but so does a good cardio session. Both should be available. It could be referred to as the "wellness" wing of the building. Every business should have it. Baked goods are tough for me too. Oh, they were at Moms this weekend too and my extended family were all there with coffee and great conversation. When I walked in they were just clearing the table and I was offered the forbidden fruit too. I opted for the coffee.

Today was a decent cardio and finally a great leg session. I decided to do legs before cardio and that helped. Another five pounds on my back squat and I'm getting real close to doing my body weight. :goodvibes: Slow but steady. I'm adding those plates in such tiny increments I'm sure people wonder why bother. :rofl:

WaterRat
09-08-2008, 01:37 PM
:lol: Lydia! I often tell people that if it's fun, I'm in charge of it! Soooo happy to be done with the day-to-day airport stuff though. The previous manager was the employee that gave me stress for the last six month - between dealing with her, gathering and documenting stuff to terminate her, and talking to the lawyer several times a week, I was a wreck. In comparison, actually doing her job was easier. Her files, however, are still a mess and I'm sorry the new person will have to deal with them.

I'm swimming after work tonight! I know that it will be a fairly short workout as I haven't been swimming in forever, and no matter what cardio condition you're in, it just doesn't always transfer as well to a new workout. I expect that I can make pretty good progress though. At least it's a change.

Tiki - good job on the tailgate, and also on getting the exercise in.

Gotta scoot - first meeting of the week. :lol:

nelie
09-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Lydia - When I was applying for jobs, some of the companies would advertise the fact that they had cots and such for employees to sleep. My response was that I don't want to work anywhere that will require me to sleep at work.

Tiki - my current work site also has a tv/game room but no workout room. Its crazy. Their reasoning is they give a small reimbursement toward health club memberships. I know for a fact that people would workout more if there was a decent workout room and showers. I know I would.

elisa822
09-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I have to chime on on the workplace food woes! How I know we all belong here together is because I am also known at work as the "no thanks" girl. I turn down almost all treats. Admittedly, I occasionally indulge but it's quite rare and usually causes a stir when I do! ;)

The truth is that because I'm more maintaining (I hope) than losing, I tend to splurge on the weekends and that means that I have to be "no nonsense" during the week.

My boss gets a cake for our weekly meeting if it's someone's birthday that week (thankfully we're a small team so it's not that often). I generally pass it up and try not to be rude. When it was my birthday recently I realized that I couldn't really say no and I was worried but thankfully my boss knows me and ordered in a fresh fruit bowl for me! :) I thought that was so nice and was so appreciative.

I can, though, be the culprit too since I love to bake and carry forward from other generations that food equals love. I sometimes bring in cake or cookies or bagels and cream cheese...not great I guess but they love and don't seem to mind. I try not to make it too unhealthy since that would be hypocritical of me but I am guilty for sure.

Okay, my post is rambling but I'll only continue to say that I was starving for a few days last week and put on a couple of pounds so I planned out this week pretty well with lots of wholesome good foods and I hope it wipes them out as quickly as they came!

Oh....and I love this place too. :hug:

Sorry for the impersonal post...hi to everyone :thanks: always for all the inspirational posts!

:D

WaterRat
09-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Nelie - in a lot of states the dept of labor requires that you have a place for employees to go if they feel sick and need to lie down, even if just long enough for someone to come pick them up. When I commuted 50 miles each way with DH, if I got a migraine it wasn't always possible for him to leave work right away and I was very thankful I had a place to go where I could lie down in the dark.... Or at least the dim. :)

Okay, I did go swimming tonight! The actual swimming was fine. I had to stand around the side of the pool with my glasses on to determine which lane would work better for me (based on who else was swimming in it) and then take them off and get in the water. :lol: My new goggles are great, and I think I will be able to wear my contacts with them and thus be able to actually see the other people in my lane.... I knew any cardio stamina I have wouldn't carry over too well, and I was right. Though I wasn't breathing too heavy, my arms got much more tired. I think it'll be a good UBWO though, and I plan to go again later in the week.

On the non-swimming aspects, I realized that unless I want to hang around naked to get completely dry in such a damp environment, I'll be better off taking some sweats to wear home instead of trying to get back into my work clothes... And also need to remember that two swim teams are in there the two hours before lap swim - the locker room floor had at least an inch of water on it - take off socks and bring flip flops! Gotta love middle schoolers....

Mel
09-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Good morning :sunny:

I can be pretty smug about the no baked goods issue, but the truth is that I can't eat any of it even when I do want to indulge. Nothing like a real food allergy to put on the brakes. I have to admit that I am having a real problem with ice cream these days, tho. Luckily, that's one thing that never appears at work.

Cardio done, tho the only reason I got out of bead to do it was because last night was the season opener of House. Wouldn't you know it, our home-built TIVO type system failed last night :eek: I was devastated but awake.

Leg lite at lunch :)

Mel

tikanique
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi all, I'm with you Mel on the not eating any of it. Every time I've fallen off the wagon, it's started with baked goods. It's like my body and mind says "ahhhh THAT'S what I've been missing in my quest to get to 250 pounds. MORE MORE!" :devil:

Water, you sound like you need a clone! Sorry to hear about the stress with the now-terminated co-worker. that's never fun, but at least it's gone!! And great job hitting the pool. Your upper body is going to be AWESOME!

Lydia, in Tennessee it was once a written law on the books that if a workplace had more than 4 women they had to have a bed there so they could nap and not exhaust themselves. And I'm with you on the naps. I've hid in my boss' office many a day and took a 30 minute power nap. It was the diference between being productive the rest of the day and sitting at my keyboard like a zombie. :faint:

Hey Elisa!!! Glad to see you on here.:D

For some reason I was craving bad food all day yesterday. I finally settled on a small bag of popcorn and a few corn chips. At home the Boy decided to bake cookies and asked me to watch them for him - yes he's evil! :s: I went to my room to change into workout gear, laid across the bed and woke up at 6:40 this morning. I'm so glad I brought my food for the week into work yesterday, or I'd be screwed! :o

Have a great one e'rebody!

Lydia227
09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
House? What's House? (I don't watch TV very often) I'm probably missing something big here...I'll maybe look it up later. :lol: Sorry you missed the episode though.

Pat: Isn't funny how it takes so much more effort in planning a new activity. I remember when I was taking swimming lessons I had to go through a checklist as well. The glasses vs contacts was an issue for me too. I ended up wearing my glasses to the pool and then taking them off to swim. I don't know why I didn't just take my son's goggles and wear the contacts. I was probably just overwhelmed as a newbie. There is a lot of prep for me on the days I bike as well. There's the change of pants if I'm also going to lift at the gym, helmet, two water bottles, ID, cell phone, cash, air in tires, sunscreen, iPod and hat for afterwards. :dizzy: I'm the kind of person who just likes to hop in the car and just go. A last minute plan for a gym/bike workout can send me into a tizzy.

Elisa: I :love: it that your boss brought a fruit bowl for your birthday. That's wonderful! And a nice treat for everyone else too. Which reminds me, has anyone seen "Edible Arrangements?" These are popping up in several of the shopping centers in our area. They look really wonderful and may be a nice alternative to the cookies/treats are sometimes sent to friends or businesses.

http://www.ediblearrangements.com/

Cardio on the AMT this morning. Upper body lifting where the real effort was spent on horizontal pullups and t pushups. Followed up with planks, crunches, and a few yoga moves at the end. :goodvibes:

Tiki: Wow, that's great planning. Food for the week into work! I'm not even sure what I'm having for dinner for the rest of the week... Tonight there's baked turkey and sweet potatoes. It really irks DH because he doesn't like to have Thanksgiving in September but hey, the kids eat it and it's clean.

Make the best of it today. :coffee:

tikanique
09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Lydia, they have those edible arrangements here too and they are delicious!! I could eat my way through an entire arrangement in a day!

nelie
09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Lydia - House is an awesome doc based show, I'm so in love with the doc that plays House. I told DH if he shows up at my door and if I had to choose, DH would be on the street. He is ok with that. I've only watched old seasons on DVD though.

I'm ready for a nap. Did (indoor) biking last night before bed. When we went to pick up the bikes, the guy adjusted it for me to make it more comfortable and it certainly is! Then this morning was swimming. Swimming makes me feel all relaxed and ready for a nap but it also makes me very hungry.

Mel
09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
House is an awesome doc based show, I'm so in love with the doc that plays House. I told DH if he shows up at my door and if I had to choose, DH would be on the street. He is ok with that.
:rofl: I'm not sure my dh would be ok with it, but I'll race you for him, nelie! Turns out I was imagining that it started :dizzy: I don't know what I'd heard....the season premier is NEXT Tuesday :)

Lydia, TV is my cardio salvation. It's about the only time I do watch, and a good doc series or crime drama holds my interest enough that I don't spend 45 minutes staring at the output screen on my elliptical agonizingly counting the seconds or dreading the hill or speed intervals.

Every inch of my body is complaining today. I didn't go lift at lunchtime. It was POURING :rain: and I was already exhausted. Probably would have felt better if I'd gone, but I'm either getting sick, having a fibro flare, or temporary workout burn out. Because I didn't go, today seemed like the longest day on earth :p

Mel

nelie
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Mel,

One good thing about the DVDs is that you can listen to them talk on the extras... Oh god I love him... :) Although really I love the character more than the actor.

WaterRat
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
TV or my iPod are the only things that get me through :tread: or elliptical. My gym has 3 TVs in the cardio area, and one is usually on CMT which has taken to showing Nanny 911 at the time I'm there. I am a sucker for that show for some reason - I just cannot believe how badly some people parent! Whatever, it gets me through the time. Otherwise, I listen to really upbeat music on my ipod, with my eyes closed, or a towel over the timer. :)

Lydia227
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Okay. Now I'm curious....Okay, I just googled it. (I should be studying new add ins for my workout tomorrow though)Seriously!? I... dunno...., :dz: Not really doin' it for me. But if it were a race I'd trip him so you both could catch him :lol: It's the unshaven face and snarly attitude isn't it? Come on...fess up...Although his caustic attitude certainly has some appeal I've already got some of that at home. :p I'm sure if I actually watched the series I would be drawn into the character like the rest of you. I'm hardly the exception in most cases. ;)

Pat: I rely upon music on my iPod a lot too. Eyes closed and miles away. These days its the only uninterrupted "quiet time" I have to complete a thought. It 's amusing sometimes the places I end up. :devil:

Mel: I really hope you are feeling much better tomorrow. Sometimes the rain can cause all kinds of aches. Had it in my knee this morning too. Course my therapeutic run Saturday morning before sitting four hours in the car had nothing to do with any knee pain I've had this week. :rolleyes: Hang in there. :hug:

kaw
09-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Morning, everyone, from the Middle of Nowhere, NY, located a hop skip and a jump east of Podunk. Been a while, I know, but I'm still "here." Maybe life has settled down enough to be here here, instead of just here. If you know what I mean.

Won't even pretend to try to keep up with all the new goings on. So, I'll just pull up a chair -- hopefully one that isn't already occupied by a cat -- , grab a cup of coffee, and see what the day's posts bring.

Be strong,
Kim

Mel
09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi Kim :wave: Welcome back :)

Feeling about the same, except I've also turned into a food chomping slug. That's a sure-fire way to feel dreadful.

Dh and I are taking a long weekend in Virginia starting tomorrow. I think there are supposed to be thunderstorms for 4 days :rain:, but it will be a much needed rest from the real world. Unfortunately, ds is sick, and I'm not sure I can bring myself to leave even an 18 year old alone who is sick. As Pat said, it's amazing how bad some parents are.

I WILL go to the gym at lunch. I know I'll feel better even with a light workout.

Stretchy bands and gym clothes are being packed, and the hotel is supposed to have a "fitness center".

Have a good one!

Mel

Lydia227
09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Kim: Hey, I was thinking about you the other day. Nice to see you post even from the Middle of Nowhere.

Mel: A childless vacation sounds wonderful. Sleep late every morning. Hope the "fitness center" exceeds your expectations. Otherwise you may need to find a local gym for a few days.

Interesting workout this morning. I decided to do more bodyweight exercises for the legs today. It was tough, sweat dripping heart pounding tough but yet somehow I don't feel like the deep muscles of the legs were taxed enough. Granted I missed the back squats this morning. Someone was busy doing those at the beginning of my supersets and when they were finished I just knew it would be unwise to do the squats at the end of my sets. I think I'm going to put this workout into my rotation once a week and just see what happens.

Back squat 4 sets 10 reps rest 60 sec between sets
SSI completed 3x

DB Stepups 10 reps
Jumpups onto the bench 10 reps

SSII completed 2x

Stepovers on the bench 15 reps on each leg
Hamstring curls on stability ball 15 reps
Side plank 1 leg raises 10 reps/leg

SSIII

Single Leg Glute Bridge 10 reps/leg
V ups on the bench 20 reps
Planks using the stability ball and the bench 60 sec.

Followed with 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical
Mountain climbers, crunches, superwomans, two sets of planks, back extensions, quad, glute, hamstring stretches and a couple of sun salutations.

~eh, we'll see. It was fun to try something new today. However, I'm not really feeling anything yet except the knee pain from probably the step overs and jump ups and that's not what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Have a great morning everyone. :coffee:

nelie
09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm excited! I've been working on my squat off and on for months but lately I've been working on flexibility and a variety of different workouts. One thing I regularly do is squat in front of a mirror to check my form and also see how low I can go. Today I was able to go lower than I've ever been able to go with good form. Now I'll need to do the same with weight and see how well I do. Maybe the basement walls should be lined with mirrors....

Mel - Have fun in VA! I know there are some wineries out there although I've never been, maybe you could check those out...

tikanique
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey Mel, Hope you're feeling better today. :hug: And I'm loving your positive attitude - gym bag packed and affirming statements. that, i'm sure is why you are such a great maintainer.

Lydia YOUR workout has been printed and stuffed in MY purse. :D Not sure I can do everything you do - YET - but it's a change from my regular leg workout which can be a bit stale at times.

Nelie - the mirrors really can be blessings. my new gym has mirrors all around the squat racks so I can check my form completely. I'd never been able to do that before. And congrats on hitting an all time low. :lol:

Hi Michelle, i'm assuming you have a cat that thinks it owns your place? I have one too. She thinks my lap is her chair and if I don't shut the bathroom door all the way, she'll paw her way in there and try to climb on my lap. Weird. :dizzy:

After scratching Midnight the Cat's ears for 5 minutes this AM, I finally got into the gym for chest and tris. 30 minutes on the treadmill (watching various new channels plus cheesy rock videos) then off to work. My relatively new skirt - bought it in July - is too big!!! :carrot: Yay me! Still a lot more work to do, so no acting like I'm anywhere near mission accomplished.

Stay focused all!

nelie
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Michelle, i'm assuming you have a cat that thinks it owns your place? I have one too. She thinks my lap is her chair and if I don't shut the bathroom door all the way, she'll paw her way in there and try to climb on my lap. Weird. :dizzy:

My cat does that! She doesn't otherwise sit on our laps really but if you are on the toilet, she is a definite lap cat.

Lydia227
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Tiki: I wish that I could take credit for the new workout but I got from an online site. Actually a pretty decent one with video. If you would like to see what the exercises look like here's a link:

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/workout_69_0_The_Ultimate_Leg_Work-out.html

I'm really only feeling a nice sort of warm muscle burn in the glutes and that's just about it. I'll give it a go a few more times and see if I can find something a little less high impact to replace the bench jumpsups. They were fun! But I kind of think that this is the type of exercise the doc frowned upon when scoping out my knees last winter. :lol: I'm also a little concerned about the stepovers and the positioning of the knees. Just be careful and go slow if you try them. The jump ups are fun because you are looking straight ahead and really have to propel yourself up to the top of the bench in an explosive movement. Really explosive for me because I'm short. It's really a "leap of faith" that you will land squarely on the bench the first few times too because you're not looking down onto the bench when landing. :yikes:

Congratulations on the loose skirt. It's a bittersweet thing to grow too small for clothing but if your like me you probably have a smaller size of something you really like waiting in the wings.

Nelie: Awesome job with the squats! Personally, I can not watch myself squat. I'm grateful that our squat rack does not face the mirror, yet. They keep rearranging the equipment on the floor. They do it every fall during clean up. Fortunately, the free weight area has been left alone. There were a few mornings in which the lights of the basketball gym were turned off and I could see the reflection of myself in the large plate glass window in front of the squat rack. OMG. How distracting for me. I just couldn't find a spot to focus upon and kept losing my form. I was all over the place while at the same time trying to "see" what my form looked like. :crazy: This isn't a problem with other lifts that I do in front of the mirror so I'm sure it was just the novelty of being able to see it for the first time. :dunno:

Cats. I have a cat. She does own the place. But the bathroom is off limits. She has her's I have mine and we will not share. (She hates me anyway. She views me as competition for DH. :lol:)

tikanique
09-10-2008, 01:47 PM
thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I too am height challenged so I think I'll start jumping on a couple of stepboards and then work my way up. My clothing is weird. I have 8s, 10s, 12, then 16s and 18s. Not one single item in 14s which is where I'll be next so I'll either keep draping myself in 16s or squeeze into 12s but i REFUSE to buy the 14s.

WaterRat
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
She views me as competition for DH.

Love it Lydia! :) We have two cats, and DH is their favorite human, hands down. Except of course when it come time to be fed. Then I rate higher than invisible..... One is a total lap cat, anytime DH is sitting (or lying on the couch) she's on him. The other not so much, but she's still young (just over a year) and likes to run around more then collapse wherever she finds herself, often in the middle of the floor! And if we latch the bathroom door, a paw appears under it and rattles it until you open it. Who is in charge here?

Kim - good to see you. Glad to hear that life has slowed down a little. Mine hasn't. :)

Mel - sounds like a fun weekend. I've been pleasantly surprised by some fitness rooms (and also the opposite!) I'm traveling to two different places in October, and one I know has a so-so fitness area, but does have a :tread: and a pool. The other, where I've not been, shows a photo of a decent setup on their website, and also has a pool. Both of these are part of what got me psyched to start swimming again.....

Nelie - I like to check my squat form in a mirror too. Since I'm still using a ball mainly, I have to be against a wall which is 90 degrees to the mirror, so mainly I'm checking my knees and feet - and not seeing my face :lol:

TOday's "exercise" will be a brisk walk to a work-related lunch (unless it's raining) and some body weight exercises at home after a meeting. Tomorrow I'll be swimming again.

:wave: Have a great day

ETA: Tiki, you snuck in while I was typing. How about a thrift or consignment shop for a few 14's? I always feel better when my clothing fits, no matter what size, especially at work. I don't mind slouching around in too big stuff at home, but at least in my position, I need to look professional and clothing that's too big or too small makes me uncomfortable.

nelie
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Anyone happen to use a HRM? I just ordered one and I'm excited.

I did 30 minutes indoor bike and 35 minutes elliptical and my elliptical gave me my HR but I can't wait until I can track my entire workout!

tikanique
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Nel - No matter what type of shape I'm in the HRM on the machines say i'm working WAY too hard so I don't even fool with them. In order to keep my HR where it "should" be i'd have to crawl on the treadmill like a baby. Let us know if the one you purchased varies vastly from what you see on the machines. I'm curious about those.

Mel, you're in my thoughts, hoping that yesterday went well.

Hiya rest of the gang. I did back - skipped biceps (bad Tika) and then did 30 minutes on the elliptical in the HIIT training mode. I've NEVER been able to complete this for 30 minutes but did it today!!! Woo hoo! Hopefully I can skip out of work early and get home. These 430 am workouts keep me on focus food wise but they make the day LOOONNGGG!!!

nelie
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Tiki - The heart rate monitor on my elliptical is pretty accurate because its a chest strap rather than through the palms. The HRM watch is also a chest strap. Congratulations on the HIIT mode on the elliptical. The mode I used on my elliptical is kind of like hiit but not quite.

I swam this morning and its funny when you are sweating/hot in the water. I would touch my face and it'd feel so hot and then I'd dunk it in the pool and it'd feel so cool. I have to say I love my swimming :) If I'm up to it, tonight will be NRLW workout, 1B.

nelie
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey chickadees - any plans for the weekend? I did NRLW last night and noticed that my deadlift has improved quite a bit. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain and although Sunday will be sunny, DH is leaving on a trip and its going to be hot so not sure any outdoor activities.

Lydia227
09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Weekend Plans...:chin: If it doesn't rain I would like to take the boys to the Renaissance Festival. I think they would like to watch the jousting. I also want to get a ride in this weekend too. We had three beautiful days in which I could have gone but I needed to get caught up here first. I also have a ton of books to read right now. Nelie, I checked out the Women's Guide to Cycling you suggested in the Exercise Forum. What a great little book. Its quick and to the point and easy to reference. Thanks for the tip. I loved the part about things to purchase for the bike and for yourself. The idea that this is quite an investment and just get over it really resonated with me. I can't tell you the guilt I felt over this purchase. I'm better with it now. Oh, and the tip about the biking shorts, that you are not meant to wear underwear with them. One of my biking friends shared this with me and I keep reading that line over and over again but I just don't know if I can do that! :lol: I did buy the gloves though. They are pink and grey which match my lovely bike. Oh, and check out page 10 of her book. THAT'S MY BIKE! It's a women's Specialized Ruby. :love:

This morning was a great workout! Nothing new added and I actually went back to my prior leg routine but I really was able to focus upon the movement this morning and there is such a difference. I think I am acclimating to these 5:30am workouts and able to focus as I did in the later morning workouts of the past.

Tomorrow I'm torn between doing an intense gym workout which is difficult for me to do during the week, not enough time..., a nice ride, and yoga at 11:30am. If I get up early enough...my dream would be able to get a day where all three fit in neatly but that's not happening.

Rest of the day is just plain busy. :crazy: Hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!

tikanique
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Hola!!!

Nelie I wish you could send some heat to Michigan. We're expecting damp drizzlies all weekend. :rain:

Lydia, how early would you have to get up to do all three? 3AM? You have a lot of stamina if you can pull off a good ride and an intense workout in the same day. :yay: Great Job there, lady.

Water, where ya at?

Got to bed super late -midnight - so no gym this AM. I'll either bike at home, Tae-bo or hit the gym tonight. My bag is packed and in the car, I just have to figure out if I can hit the gym and then get home before DS calls needing a ride home. Food is still on track, i'm still a member of the new tribe. :crazy:

This weekend I'll be watching Ohio State and USC beat the snot out of each other. I wish there was a way they could BOTH lose! :devil:

WaterRat
09-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Tiki! I'm here, just focusing on meeting deadlines. Can't believe they expect me to work for my paycheck! :rofl: I have a few minutes before I leave for lunch though so I'm catching up with y'all.

Weekend: well, the pool is closed - boo - so I'm planning to go to the gym for some cardio as well as lifting. Then it's the usual laundry, groceries, housecleaning, etc. Oh, and since fall is fast approaching, I have some swiss chard that needs freezing and some peas that need picking/shelling. DH is leaving on a last gasp camping trip on Sunday, so he'll be packing for that. Fortunately except for buying some food he wants, he doesn't need my help.

Lydia - good for you adjusting to the 5:30 am workouts. I'm considering trying the morning swimming while DH is away. THat's from 6-7:30, and from there I could go down the street to the gym and get ready for work. The locker room at the pool is what'd you'd call minimal! It has hand dryers placed high enough to dry your hair, but no plugs near mirror to curl it, and very little counter space to boot. At least in the morning the floor shouldn't be as wet as it is in the evening after the swim teams finish. I did sign up for adult lessons starting 9/24. I'll miss a couple while I'm away the first week of October, but I'm excited.

Nelie - if you're sending warm weather, I'll take some. :) It's been raining off and on all week here.

sportmom
09-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Lydia, need some help with meal planning! I have a breakfast at Bob Evans coming up on Sunday. I can normally hang there just fine with a dinner or lunch. BUt breakfast is not as easy. I don't eat oatmeal out bc I find alot of places make it a way that KILLS my stomach - I don't know if they use whole milk or add cream, but I'm sick for hours if I eat it out. I'm thinking of a few eggs and....... that's the hard part! lol I looked at their healthy options online but they seemed to be more for cholesterol concerns and not general healthy eating. What would you recommend? They have a lot of good fruit options but I don't want to start my day with all that sugar only.

Ha! The ad for the new season of House on Tuesday just came on. You all must be counting down the hours!

kaw
09-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Morning everyone!

I'm pleased to report that this morning I was on the red zone line (140), instead of above it. By the end of the month, I hope to be solidly in the orange zone (135-140), the zone in which I can bench bodyweight.

I'll shoot for green (130-135), of course, because I'm a vain little git and I want to look good in my bikini this Christmas. But, I'm increasingly convinced this isn't sustainable for me. (Green? Not sustainable? What's up with that?) Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Today's agenda is to take The Boy to fossil identification day to see if the local paleontologists can't identify a couple of new fossils in his collection. (Pat -- one's from the Brooks range, which my parents found last summer (the fossil, not the Brooks range :) ).) Then a promised trip to mini golf. Then a stop at the CSA farm for u-pick tomatoes, and a stop at another local farm for u-pick apples. Then back home to can spaghetti sauce and/or applesauce. Then off to dinner at a colleagues. Oh, and somewhere in there I want to go to the gym, and also see if I can't chase a few dust bunnies around the house with the vacuum cleaner.

Sheesh, with all that on my plate, I'd better git goin'!

Be strong, all.

Kim

Lydia227
09-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Fran! Are you traveling with the girls again?

I just checked out the nutritional information on their website. :yikes: In this case you will need to just choose the best that is available. I think I would not even look at the menu and order a slice of whole wheat toast, unbuttered, four scrambled egg whites without the soybean oil, and ask if they could prepare a small fresh fruit cup for you. These are all ingredients that they must have on hand to prepare any of the more complex food combinations on the menu. The biggest thing to impress upon your waiter is that you do not want any added oil in the eggs or butter or grill grease on the toast. If you lack confidence in the waiter in doing this ask for the manager who is usually roaming around making sure everyone is enjoying their plates of loaded calories/cholesterol/fat/and excess carbs for the morning. :s:

Above all else try to enjoy the ones around you instead of thinking about how your not having the stuffed whatevers. Once you leave the place, it's all over and you can perhaps pick up or bring alone something you may really enjoy that may supplement the meal if needed. Keep in mind that it is best to top of our tanks every two to three hours instead of one main meal to gorge upon. ~sigh~ Sorry if this sounds like I'm starting to get on a soapbox. I just get so frustrated with the menus of restaurants when they try to play both the "we offer healthy/fit selections" but they are still way beyond what is appropriate for most people in the big picture.

Hey, wait, I know. :chin: Maybe make some protein pancakes ahead of time. Eat a couple of those before you even hit the restaurant and then enjoy a cup of coffee with the whole wheat toast. Just a thought. Anyone else have any suggestions for these situations?

Good luck.

sportmom
09-13-2008, 09:46 AM
No, we have the in-laws coming in. I've never been a fan of the stuffed, loaded,oozing stuff bc you'd have to be a 5 year old to not just know from the description in the title that that is NOT something ANYONE should be eating. But I have partaken in my biscuit breakfast before -- until I looked on the website and saw it was 900 something cals! Gee, no wonder after eating one of those I didn't want to eat again for 6 hours. I used to think, wow, that's great, I'll only have b'fast /dinner on those days - that's a great way to eat less food and lose weight. To your point........ WRONG! :nono: So, I was looking for help other than sitting there with my lips sewn together. When they come into town all they want to do is go out and eat bc we have so much here to choose from than where they live in OR. They 2 sil's have just had wls tho within the last year, so it will be interesting to see how things are different on this visit. Thanks Lydia!

tikanique
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

Did everyone survive the weekend? It rained cats and BIG DOGS here in the Motorcity. Hope everyone is dried out and okay.

Although it was wet, the Girl and I went to the gym Saturday and Sunday. We worked legs Saturday then foolishly took a STRIKE class right afterwards. All we could say after the class was WOW! Sunday we skipped weights altogether and went to a Step class. When we got home, we were too tired to shower. We just laid in the floor and groaned about our aching muscles. We finally got up, got cleaned up and then went to take naps! Today is a day off exercise for me, but the Girl made the varsity cheer squad at her school so she has cheer practice.

How did everyone else's weekend turn out?