South Beach Diet - Confused about yogurt?

View Full Version : Confused about yogurt?

kshe78
08-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I've never been a fan of yogurt, but am trying to incorporate it in to my diet, to help with my dairy requirement. Much like many other previous foods that I didn't like, either my taste buds grew up, or this diet helped, because now I actually kind of like it!

I went back and read the materials, but I'm still a little bit confused, and want to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself.

For P2, I can have 4 oz. of fat-free, fruit flavored, artificially sweetened yogurt, if I remembered all of that correctly? Does it also have to say "no sugar added," because that's what I'm having a hard time finding. It just seems like there is so much sugar in then, although I know some of that is from the milk itself, so that's a little different.

I've been careful to pick up the ones that have a lower sugar count.

For example, the one I have now is:

Archer Farms (Target brand)
Blueberry-Pomegranate
Fat Free
Sweetened with Aspartame
6 oz. (but I know to only eat 4 oz.)
90 calories
0 fat
10g sugar

Some I looked at yesterday were as high as 22g of sugar!

Is this "legal?" If not, do any of you have any specific brands that are legal that you like? I stood staring at the yogurt for 20 minutes yesterday, and this was the best I could come up with. lol I'm willing to look harder, I just don't know if I'm looking for the right thing. Thanks!

Barb0522
08-31-2008, 12:33 PM
What are the ingredients?

kshe78
08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
cultured skim milk, blueberries, pomegranate juice concentrate, modified corn starch, whey protein concentrate, natural blueberry and pomegranate flavor, natural flavors, gelatin, potassium sorbate (preservative), coloring, aspartame.

Barb0522
08-31-2008, 12:49 PM
It looks good to me. The juice concentrate is the only thing that I see that might be a problem. If it doesn't cause cravings then it should be okay. I used to really love buying Bluebunny Lite but my stores don't carry it anymore so I tend to buy the Kroger store brand which really doesn't help you since I doubt you have Kroger's.

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Any of the yogurts labeled "lite" should be fine. Most are art. sweetened.

kshe78
08-31-2008, 04:29 PM
I used to really love buying Bluebunny Lite but my stores don't carry it anymore so I tend to buy the Kroger store brand which really doesn't help you since I doubt you have Kroger's.

Thank you both! I did find a NSA at Publix, but it wasn't fat free.

And Barb, I do have a Kroger, so I'll check there. They actually have some things on sale this week I want, so I'll check while I'm there.

I have SuperWalmart, SuperTarget, Kroger, Publix and Trader Joe's within 10-15 minutes, so any of those are fine. But if what I got works, then I'm cool. I'll just watch for the lower sugar versions.

Thanks!

pookynutt
08-31-2008, 04:38 PM
I like dannon light and fit. it is low carb, low fat and low sugar. i get it at Kroger or Wal-mart.

kshe78
08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I think I tried that one last week, and liked it. Thanks!

JellyBean32882
08-31-2008, 08:53 PM
I like dannon light and fit. it is low carb, low fat and low sugar. i get it at Kroger or Wal-mart.

LOL, that's the yogurt I eat.. I like the Strawberries N Cream and the Vanilla N Cream.. it's carb and sugar controled too. Dunno if that's the one you get or not but I like it and don't give me headaches cause it's not too sweet :)

Barb0522
08-31-2008, 09:04 PM
The Kroger Lite has a French Apple Pie that I REALLY love which is why I usually get that.

TwynnB
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Even the plain, no sugar, basic stuff has 17 g of sugars (per 8 oz serving)...cuz they're milk sugars!

WebRover
08-31-2008, 09:16 PM
I did find a NSA at Publix, but it wasn't fat free.

South Beach allows low fat. It doesn't have to be fat free. That may give you some more options. My Publix has a Publix brand No sugar added/Fat Free yogurt that is tart but good.

nanj
08-31-2008, 09:53 PM
What about KRoger's Carb Master and Fage yogurts? Add stevia or splenda or fruits.

TwynnB
09-01-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm honestly thinking of just making my own flavors.

I finally found one I adore, that only has fruit juice added as a sweetener (and the sugars were still low, so supposedly not a bunch), but I realized I wanted to eat everything the afternoons I had them for lunch. So, I guess it's not for me.

So, now I'm thinking of plain yogurt with a bunch of fruit and maybe a squirt of agave nectar (or if I ever get stevia, maybe that?).

CyndiM
09-01-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm actually thinking of making my own yogurt. Apparently it's really easy to do and I can strain it to make greek yogurt. That's got to be cheaper! After that I figure I can powder some dried fruit and make my own flavors. I have no idea if it will work but might as well give it a try ;)

zeffryn
09-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Cyndi - making your own yogurt is simple and it tastes awesome! When I have the time, I definitely prefer making my own to buying greek yogurt.

Thin4Good
09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
So, now I'm thinking of plain yogurt with a bunch of fruit and maybe a squirt of agave nectar (or if I ever get stevia, maybe that?).

This is exactly what I do. - I have been having it for breakfast with Kashi "Go Lean" - I just measure out yogurt, cereal, and fruit (whatever I grab out of the fridge), then stir in some Agave Nectar. I think it is delicious and very filling! DD loves it too. :)

thatgirl1024
09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I like Dannon Lite and fit.. its the best.. I also like the vanilla flavor and mix it with applesauce!!

mul131
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
the stevia drops are amazing. I had a latte the other day sweetened with 6 drops of the stevie (vanilla) and it was delicious! also...dannon light & fit yogurts are my favorite

beachgal
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Even the plain, no sugar, basic stuff has 17 g of sugars (per 8 oz serving)...cuz they're milk sugars!

Yup! The grams of sugar aren't really that important in things like yogurt...so much of those grams are made from things that don't affect your blood sugar (like lactose, which is the sugar naturally present in milk). What you really want to look at are ingredients.

Do keep in mind the following: fruit juice IS sugar. When there's a lot of fruit juice in something, it's just as likely to cause spikes in blood sugar as regular sugar is...especially if it's "concentrate."

Personally, I find it odd to eat yogurt that has gelatin and corn starch or other things that just don't belong in yogurt, IMHO. A lot of the low-carb or lite yogurts have all sorts of odd things in them. Not to mention how much they can cost if you buy the small containers.

I find it much cheaper and better for the environment and my health to buy large containers of plain yogurt. I get organic, because I feel safer with it, but that's another story! ;) I usually get Stonyfield Farms. I add either SF jam and a squirt of agave nectar to it, or mix in some SF syrup. It's delicious! :love: Plus, I know I'm getting real food and not all sorts of odd fillers. That's just my take.

For those of you who are making your own, I know I'd love it (and probably everyone else would too) if you'd post successful recipes in the recipe forum! :D

Janediet
09-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks so much for clearing up the sugar question in yogart.

Jane