Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 AM   #1  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Default Under calorie limit, but not hungry?

I know this has been asked before, but for the life of me i cannot find the thread.

I want to have between 1200 and 1600 calories a day (i'm 5'5''). This has been working fine for me and usually i have between 1400 and 1500 a day. Lately though i have not been feeling that hungry. I've been averaging in the low 1400s and one day i had only 1083. Today I've had breakfast, lunch and dinner and ive only come to a total of 1034. What do you guys do? I do not want to put my body into starvation mode, but i really dont feel hungry. I have been having a pretty low activity time lately, i was sick with the flu so didnt go to the gym, and now im on midsemester break so im doing a lot of work from home without having to run from building to building. But 1000 calories still sounds really low what do you guys do in this situation?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Kg, somebody else who uses kg's! Lbs just don't have the same meaning attached, do they? (though you can shed a pound twice as fast )

I just wanted to remark that if it is just one day that you went so low, it isn't such a big deal. You can also subtly up your calories, eg eat a banana instead of other fruit. Choose healthy higher cal food if this is something you worry about.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

i love kg! I keep my starting/goal/current weight in pounds because i like to compare with other people, but naturally i use kg and have to have a pounds -> kg converter open at the same time as 3FC!

Thanks for the advice, im just a bit worried because a few weeks ago my intake was leaping between high 1500s to as low as 800 and i didnt do well at all like that, i was much better when i was more consistent. I could try your trick with the banana- do you have any other fruits that are high calorie? I cant eat bananas, they make me wretch! I could try throwing in some almonds or something?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The idea, at least as I understand it, is to plan your foods to some extent so that you know what to eat and when. It's not to just go along eating when you feel hungry--that's a different plan from calorie counting, I think.

You don't want to be below 1000 cals for an extend period. An occasional day or two isn't important. If you've planned your meals and snacks so that 1200 is the lower limit, then this shouldn't happen.

Don't eat just anything to raise your calories. Try to make it a snack that involves some protein--for example, you could have some tuna with crackers, or some cheddar cheese or other cheese with a small apple.

What often happens is that a person doesn't "feel hungry"--but then a short time later they feel ravenous! That's a danger point because at that point it's easy to overeat.

Keep things a little more consistent--you should do fine!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Nuts (and nut butters) are quite calorie dense, as are avocados and dried fruit. Without seeing what you are eating now, it's a little hard to make too many suggestions - but Jay is right. Going too low tends to lead to binging. Besides that fact that you most likely aren't fueling your body properly at 1000 calories.

Planning meals ahead of time to come out to the calorie count you are looking for should do the trick. If you use nonfat dairy, bump it up to lowfat. Increase your portion sizes a little....it's a bit ironic I should be giving advice on this...it is NOT a problem I have EVER had. I tend to play for the TOO MANY CALORIES team.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Are you taking a multi-vitamin? If not, then I'd start taking one to make sure you are getting all your nutrients in.

I typically won't eat much after recovering from an illness. It usually takes awhile for my appetite to come back. Make sure you get enough fluids though!

I agree with JayEll, if you plan your days ahead of time, then you'll have nothing to be concerned about.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

thanks guys Part of the problem is that on week days i plan my meals well, with breakfast and lunch around 300 calories, 2 snacks a day around 150 calories, and dinner up to 500-600 calories, but on weekends i find i dont need the snacks and end up being lower (probably because i am less active). For example, yesterday i had breakfast (cornflakes and super trim milk), lunch (boiled egg with soldiers) and dinner (roast chicken and vegetables)

The big concern for me now is that if i eat less when i am less active, im screwed for the next two weeks as im on midsemester break! Maybe I should do some more intense exercise?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
The big concern for me now is that if i eat less when i am less active, im screwed for the next two weeks as im on midsemester break!
Um, how is it that you're screwed?

Jay
Old 08-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

well if i am eating around 800 calories because im not running around from building to building, then im likely to be chronically under eating these next 2 weeks because im going to be at home not at uni. If that makes any more sense at all
Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #10  

My appetite comes and goes with TOM. After dinner, if I'm still low on calories, I drink a cup or two of chocolate soy milk. Tasty, healthy and a quick easy way to boost my calories up to where I need them.

I don't play my meals out in advance. I do tend to eat the same half dozen foods for a few months straight than get bored and switch them up, so it doesn't take a lot to think about what I'm going to eat, but I like thinking about what I'm in the mood for for my next meal.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #11  
Rah Rah Red Team!

S/C/G: 188/181/135

Height: 5'7"

Alright, so I know this thread a few days old (I'm sure you managed to get everything sorted out), but I didn't want to start a new thread about it.

If I'm below my desired calorie range but I'm not hungry, I generally try to drink my calories. Am I the only one that finds things like Milk, High Protein shakes, or Fruit juices a good way to make up a couple hundred calories to get in range? I know it's calories in vs. calories out, but these things make me feel better about my calories.

Anyone else drink some of their intake?
LakeEffectKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #12  
This is not a test.

wow thats a good idea, usually i avoid fruit juice and im not a big fruit eater, so making up calories with fruit juice is probably a good way to get some vitamins naturally as well ^_^ thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

For me, fruit juices have too much sugar--I prefer the protein drink. Usually I struggle to get enough protein.

Jay
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #14  

Chocolate soy milk is what I drink if I'm under calories. Soooo yummy!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiem4994 View Post
Chocolate soy milk is what I drink if I'm under calories. Soooo yummy!

oooh, ditto, ditto! Have you tried throwing it in a blender with ice cubes? Just like a chocolate shake
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote