South Beach Diet - Happy Saturday/Sunday On The Beach!

cottagebythesea
08-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Greetings from Bar Harbor!

Just wanted to pop in to say "hi" ! It's just gorgeous here and we're having a wonderful time. Today we're going on a whale-watching cruise and hiking on Cadillac Mountain. It should be fun! I've been eating lobster with almost every meal (no butter), thank goodness it's SBD friendly!

I haven't heard anything regarding the hurricane, but everyone please stay safe and take care. :grouphug:

Bye for now!

CyndiM
08-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Cottage- I am so jealous! That's one of my favorite places to visit. Hope you see lots of whales and love the view from the mountain :)

It's a mellow at home weekend around here. I'm working on some dehydrator stuff, doing some laundry, riding my bike and not driving anywhere!

Have a good day Chicks :)

Ruthxxx
08-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Lobster! Yum! One of the good things about DH#1 was that he didn't like lobster - more for me!

It rained overnight but is clearing beautifully now, getting ready for a gorgeous long weekend. I didn't get much done yesterday - seemed to be just treading water - so have a few things that must happen this morning before the Pypers arrive.

Back later - just got notification of a software download that I've been ignoring a while. Better do it!

:coffee:

Pacergal29
08-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I think it is going to be a beautiful day.

Cottage Glad you are having such a great time, I have never been whale watching, how exciting

Cyndi Hope you have a perfectly calm weekend!

Ruth Enjoy your weekend!

I have general cleaning and laundry to do this morning and then a quick trip to the store to buy some things for the journey to Michigan tomorrow. Hope to get an early start if I can get everyone moving tomorrow and get up there early. This is a once a year thing for my brother, sister and myself since our parents passed. Sailing on Lake Michigan, there is nothing better (but no whales to watch) ;).

Have a great long weekend, and stay safe all my friends down there in the path of the storm.

Belle Mer
08-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Cottage, I love that area. Just gorgeous! Have a great time!

Ruth, have a lovely weekend.

Hi all,

Today I'll just be playing "catch up," doing all the things I didn't get to yesterday.

Everyone in the hurricane's path, you're in my prayers. Stay safe.

TwynnB
08-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Good morning chicks!

Cottage - I am SOoo jealous! My DH and I went there when I was pregnant the first time. Went all the way up the east coast (from NC), up to PEI. We always joked DS was such a good baby b/c I ate so much lobster! It was beautiful!!

Cyndi, Ruth, Belle, Steph, and all others to follow - enjoy your holiday weekend!

Me - I'm a bit excited. We decided last minute yesterday that we'd go to the zoo today! It's about three hours away, so we'll take off today, maybe visit the children's museum, and then go to the zoo tomorrow then head home. Now, if only my kids will behave...

Have a great holiday!

femmecreole
08-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Morning all!! So glad everyone is having a nice weekend!

We are in "wait and see" mode , but it doesn't look good right now as we are on the east side of the projected path. Evacutations have started in some parishes that are closer to the coast and special needs people are being brought to drop off points to get bussed out of N.O. Mandatory evacs are starting later on today.

We have all of our supplies in place and today the guys will start hauling stuff inside that might blow around and cause damage. Husband wants to get out and cut the grasss again even though he cut it earlier in the week just in case we get trees down and can't cut it for a while.

Want to go do something fun with my daughter here, but we may not be able to due to the evacuation traffic and all the stores will be packed. We don't know how she is going to be able to leave tomorrow. Her flight out was for one tomorrow out of New Orleans. With contraflow starting today all traffic will only be allowed OUT of New Orleans, so we have a problem. Looks like I get to keep her a bit longer maybe. She was supposed to fly out of L.A. on Monday to go to Miami for a month as her BF has a design job there. But looks like Hanna may be going to the east coast so that may be postponed anyway.

Outside it feels "prehurricaney" this morning, which is actually pretty neat weather, but ominous knowing what might be coming our way.

I have not been sick since I started SB 17 months ago and I think it all "stored up" and hit me at once. Sore throat and horrendous sinus infection so bad I had to sleep sitting up last night. This all really sucks.

Schmoodle
08-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Good morning! I am waiting for my friend to come by, we have plans to go out to breakfast and shop a bit. The kids are at my mom's and she'll take them to riding lessons, I just need to be back at noon to pick them up. After that chores around here and maybe the movie on the green tonight. Saturdays fly by too quickly!

Weight is up a little this morning, but I had two glasses of wine last night (planned treat), and scraped the topping off a slice of cheese pizza, so I'm sure salt/alcohol are involved. I'll drink lots of water today, and things will be fine! I have been on plan so no reason to worry. Still gray and drizzly around here, but tomorrow is forecast to be very nice!

cottage, yum, lobster! I lived in Maine when I was pregnant with DD1, and ate many lobsters during that time. She is a PITA, think they're related? It actually put me off lobster for a bit, because I had a gall bladder attack after eating some in my 8th month, but it didn't last fortunately (the attack or the dislike). You make me wish I was back in Maine!

Cat, sorry you are not feeling well during DD's visit! That really does suck.

Twynn, have a fun overnight!

Belle, I'll be doing the same this afternoon. :(

Steph, your trip sounds really fun! Enjoy!

Ruth, you probably needed a quiet day yesterday to prepare for your hyper Pypers.

Cyndi, now that my freezer's dead, I probably need to start learning about dehydrating. Got a good tutorial?

Enjoy the day ladies, and chicks to come!

CyndiM
08-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Cyndi, now that my freezer's dead, I probably need to start learning about dehydrating. Got a good tutorial?

Funny you should ask that. One of my projects is to read over materials for a training I'm doing for child care folks on 9/9. I'll send you a list of links for the good stuff :)

Barb0522
08-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Brian got to see his Dad last night. Connie said Robert is talking about forgiveness and it sounds like he will be okay seeing me if I am bringing Brian to visit him. We may find out later today.

Right now we need to go meet a cubmaster at the warehouse so he can get the raingutter regatta equipment. Later we have to take on cat for her annual shots and then at 4 we have a friend and her son coming over to swim and eat dinner. Somewhere in between we'll stop by the hospital.

I didn't get to mow last night since we were at the hospital so that needs to be squeezed in somewhere too. I need more hours in the day.

I'm watching Gustav and hoping for the best.

Ruthxxx
08-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Me too, Cyndi! I just unloaded my dehydrator - tomatoes this time - and am amazed and delighted at the results. No, I didn't eat the whole batch. :lol:

Pacer, sailing on Lake Michigan sounds great even if there is no lobster. I much prefer sailing to noisy motor boats.

Belle Mer, I am sort of doing catch-up too this morning.

Twynn, have a ball at the zoo. I'm sure the kids will enjoy it.

Cat, sorry you are sick on top of all the other hurricane stuff. Having your DD for a visit is good though even if it's an enforced one.

Schmoodle, my weight is up this morning too. Maybe it's a phase of the moon rather than going off program.

Just came in from putting out the deck cushions but that's about all I've done this morning. We may or may not have rum cake for dinner but I definitely need to get the dry marinade on the roast! I've no idea when the Pypers are arriving but it'll be chaos here for a bit until they all go out in the boat so I'd better get it done NOW!

Thinking and worrying a lot about the Beachies in the storm path. Barb, you don't need storm worries on top of all the other stuff but you'll tough it out, I'm sure.

ladybugnessa
08-30-2008, 08:54 AM
good morning

schmoodle... sounds like water weight to me.

cottage... bar harbor and lobster sounds great

Cat you are in my thoughts....

Tywnn enjoy the zoo.

I know i missed folks... Stephanie, Cindi, Bel Mer , love you all too

Me: dh is racing today. aaron is coming over to help upgrade my site, the weather is overcast and cool for august, and the scale is a new all time low this morning of 211.2 this counting beachy points is working.

Pacergal29
08-30-2008, 09:09 AM
:carrot: Nessa, so glad this is working for you, sometimes we just need to shake things up I think our bodies get in a rut much like our own lives do sometimes.

Back to cleaning.

Pearlrose
08-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Cottage- Your bringing back memories of when we lived in Maine and visited Bar Harbor- enjoy your time there

Cat- We are all wait and see with you- I pray that you get to feeling better as well.

Twynn- Sounds like you have a fun day planned, enjoy.

Belle- Enjoy your day

Steph- Have fun on the trip!

Ruth- Hope you finish up everything you need to do

Cyndi- I may have to invest in a dehydrator some of the stuff you guys talk about sounds so good.

Nessa- Congrats on the scale movement- I know that is making for a good day for you

Schmoodle- Have fun with your friend enjoy your time.

Barb- Glad to hear that things are going well for you.

As for me- Yesterday I was onplan again so I feel much better today- I need to start logging food again that is what helped me before counting the calories along with eating right.

My son's HS Football team won last night so that was good. Today just some general cleaning in the morning and then we are off to do a bit of shopping. Tommorrow we are going to one of McCain's rallys my DH got us tickets- I am going along to learn about his VP pick- I am still undecided on who I am going to vote for- (I am not sure if we are allowed to talk politics if not sorry)

Have a great day- and Southern Chickies I sending prayers your way as Gustav is now a Category 2.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Cottage - I'm so envious, I can hardly be nice to you. ;) I love love love love love lobster! ENJOY!!

Cyndi - enjoy the relaxation!

Ruth - have a great weekend!

Pacer - enjoy the prep. Lake Michigan sounds like a great time :)

Belle - have a great day!

Twynn - the zoo is always a great time, especially with kids! Enjoy, girl.

Cat - we're in the same situation as you....only traffic allowed in Lafayette is OUT of the city. They are setting up all the contraflow stuff this afternoon...might prove difficult for DH to get to school and finish up some work. He's trying to finish as much as possible in case the school is closed for a long time. Be safe! We've been putting everything indoors - plants and everything in the garage - quite the job! Unfortunately, we're pretty sure the fence that we JUST put up isn't going to make it through the storm :( What a gorgeous morning though, huh? It's almost chilly here and bright! Perfect day for going to the park! Be safe dear and enjoy the time with your family :)

Schmoo - enjoy your Saturday. I've been trying to convince DH to go out for breakfast. I do not feel like cooking!

Nessa - congrats on that scale! Good work on the points...I might be consulting (bugging) you in a few months for more info.

Pearl - I believe this morning it was upgraded to a cat. 3 - but that could change both ways. Until it is in the gulf and dead set on it's path, the best we can do is plan for the worst. ;) Have fun today and congrats to your son!

--

Doing laundry today so I have something to do while we're out of power. One nice thing about being without power for awhile is that I don't have many distractions (I'm totally addicted to the 'net) to stop me from doing thorough cleaning!

Baking banana bread, cranberry orange bread and regular ww bread - hopefully DH can keep his mitts off of it until we lose power.

Trying to clean out the fridge of things that are easily perishable - eggs and milk specifically.

DH is boarding up windows today and moving the rest of the things out of the yard/porch so they don't become projectiles.

Bought a carseat for the new baby last night. Found a Britax companion infant seat at Target on clearance for 49.98. Orig. 209.99. I had been looking to buy one and gritting my teeth at the price (we were given a convertible Britax for DS so I didn't have another to use) - prayers answered! DS dragged it into the living room in front of the tv and proceeded to sit in it while he was watching cartoons....apparently he thinks it is a new recliner for him.

Time to make waffles - the herd is whining. Have a nice day, girls!

femmecreole
08-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Zeff, after K, we replaced our fence with a wire fence...just stakes with wire wrapped around it. Then we planted star jamine on it and it's just about all filled out. That way if we get a fence blown down, we just stake that baby up again.

I'm waiting for everyone (6 of us) to get up so I can make waffles too. Just have one more load of laundry and that's all done and I can tackle really cleaning the house for when when we lose power and can't vacuum etc. Just realized hubby forgot to get bleach yesterday, so have to journey out to get that later. This just really sucks so badly. A storm should be so much fun with 6 people, 9 dogs and a crippled duck inside!! Well, it will be interesting anyway.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 11:29 AM
a crippled duck!

I'm the same way, vacuuming and whatnot now....but the real deep cleaning, I save for when the power is out. I can boil water in my battery powered teapot if I need it.

DH is going to be pissed if the fence gets blown over...he just finished putting it up ;)

Belle Mer
08-30-2008, 11:42 AM
a crippled duck!

I'm the same way, vacuuming and whatnot now....but the real deep cleaning, I save for when the power is out. I can boil water in my battery powered teapot if I need it.

DH is going to be pissed if the fence gets blown over...he just finished putting it up ;)

Battery Powered Teapot? Can you tell me more about this? I need one!!!!

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Battery Powered Teapot? Can you tell me more about this? I need one!!!!

I have no idea where we got it. I got it from my dad when my DH and I first started camping.

Unfortunately, it takes 4 D batteries.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Cat and Mandy - Contraflow maps are available here: http://theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080830/NEWS01/80830009/1002/rss

Pacergal29
08-30-2008, 12:30 PM
LOL Cat I was thinking about you when giving my dog a bath this morning thinking what a chore you will have with the puppies and wondering if the duck was still around too!

Fat Melanie
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Would you believe I've never eaten lobster in my entire life?

When we lived in Long Island and I was a small child, I was horrified to be alone in the kitchen and I saw a huge pot with a lobster scraping around in it. (I'm not sure how I was able to see the lobster, I can't recall every detail, so I must have dragged a chair in there and got on top of it, against my mother's wishes. I was a bad child. Once, in that very kitchen, I somehow managed to get a knife and actually cut in between my fingers, and another time I set a fire in a wastebasket in the kitchen. ....hhmmm.... in retrospect.... WHO WAS WATCHING ME??? Also: was I almost a little budding sociopath?) Anyway I recall something about my dad coming into the kitchen and asking him why he was hurting the lobster and he told me that is how he was cooking it, that you had to throw it into the boiling pot alive... Needless to say I have never had lobster, I still feel the guilt from years ago. :lol:

As an adult, I would like to try it, it sounds delicious. Hopefully no one mistook my above paragraph for a rant about animal cruelty against people who eat lobsters. I was just reminded of that story and realized how to this day I still haven't tried lobster. I still feel bad for the lobster though... :(

Barb0503, that is really good to hear that maybe Robert had a sort of 'wake up call' so to speak and that he is talking of forgiveness. Hopefully this is a step towards the right direction and everything can end up being solved amicably? Then again, he may revert back to his old ways. Hopefully not though! Things are looking promising. :D

little chick
08-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey chickies.... just popping in to see how everyone was doing and checking on you girls in the path of the hurricane, we have been watching on tv. You are in my thoughts. Stay safe. Busy day of last minute school supplies and stuff for school lunches and cleaning supplies. So we are ready for the first day of school. Well I am off to hang with my family. Take care girls.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
little chick - my FIL is trying to make it home from South Carolina (he was running a marathon) and is stuck in bad traffic in Alabama. He should be home within the next 12 hours. Meanwhile, DH went to clear patio furniture off his parents patio and put their potted plants away.

All our potted plants, furniture and outdoor decoration - including the grill - are in the garage. Unfortunately we don't have a garage door - it's basically just a fully enclosed carport. DH is planning to tape huge tarps over the door and put wood over those. Hopefully we don't get any flooding.

There is a gas station around the corner. We know the owner and he has a generator to keep his cold stuff running - including the ice maker. He said to just let us know when we need more ice and he would fill up our coolers. Hopefully we won't lose much food if the power is out for an extended period of time.

Other than that, we're set. Food, water, entertainment and fully stocked gas in both vehicles.The contraflow is starting tomorrow morning and will make it difficult to get into the heart of Lafayette - thankfully we have most everything we will need and won't need to drive around. If predictions are correct, we should start getting some effects tomorrow sometime.

Belle Mer
08-30-2008, 08:08 PM
little chick - my FIL is trying to make it home from South Carolina (he was running a marathon) and is stuck in bad traffic in Alabama. He should be home within the next 12 hours. Meanwhile, DH went to clear patio furniture off his parents patio and put their potted plants away.

All our potted plants, furniture and outdoor decoration - including the grill - are in the garage. Unfortunately we don't have a garage door - it's basically just a fully enclosed carport. DH is planning to tape huge tarps over the door and put wood over those. Hopefully we don't get any flooding.

There is a gas station around the corner. We know the owner and he has a generator to keep his cold stuff running - including the ice maker. He said to just let us know when we need more ice and he would fill up our coolers. Hopefully we won't lose much food if the power is out for an extended period of time.

Other than that, we're set. Food, water, entertainment and fully stocked gas in both vehicles.The contraflow is starting tomorrow morning and will make it difficult to get into the heart of Lafayette - thankfully we have most everything we will need and won't need to drive around. If predictions are correct, we should start getting some effects tomorrow sometime.

You probably already thought of this, you have such a level head, but do you have some cash in case the stores have no power to run credit card machines after the storm hits? I'm really bad about never carrying cash with me, and hubby is always reminding me to get cash out of the ATM.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted, when you can.

Pearlrose
08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Just saw that Gustav is now Category 4 Hurricane.....Please know you are in our prayers.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 08:21 PM
You probably already thought of this, you have such a level head, but do you have some cash in case the stores have no power to run credit card machines after the storm hits? I'm really bad about never carrying cash with me, and hubby is always reminding me to get cash out of the ATM.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted, when you can.

We have 5k in cash savings in the safe. I'm hoping not to have to dig into it...we have checks as well and most places that we would absolutely have to go to accept them.

I actually wasn't even thinking of getting cash until we filled up the cars yesterday and the credit card machines weren't working.

DH came home with $100 that he had gotten out of the ATM and a box of bullets......god forbid.....

mandyleigh
08-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay, I'm tired of this d@@@ storm.

All day I had been preparing to go to my parents house...which is east of hammond. Well, my dad has just flipped out and we are evacuating. When Bob Breck, our meterologist, said "this storm has the makings to be worse than katrina" my phone rang, literally 45 seconds after that with the word that we were leaving. Needless to say, I"m not the happiest person in the world right now.

Cat and Zeff...good luck girls....looks like this one is gonna be nasty.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Good luck to you and your family, Mandy. Hope to hear from you sometime next week.

CyndiM
08-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Thinking of all of you.

rebel
08-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Barb, I'm watching on this BB just since you aren't so much in the other place I know you from. It sounds like things are a little better. I'm keeping you and Brian in my thoughts, and sending good vibes your way.

Ruthxxx
08-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh my! I am so worried about our Southern chickies! Prayers and good vibes that this damned thing eases off before it hits. :grouphug: Please check back in when you can.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Anybody heard from Cat? I hope she and her family are doing well.......we should start feeling its effects tomorrow afternoon and it should be hitting in the houma area on Monday afternoon.

Good luck, girls. xoxo

femmecreole
08-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Zeff, I'm here and freaking out....calmly, but I'm freaking out.

My daughter just HAD to leave to go back to california, so my husband just left with her to take her into N.O. to the airport. The traffic coming this way is bumper to bumper and it may take him many many hours...maybe 10...who knows.. to get back up here. But with contraflow starting at 4 in the morning, it was now or never. her fllight leaves at 2 tomorrow afternoon and with no food available at the airport, I sent her off with enough food for a few people.
I'm really worried about him being able to fill up the car again when he gets back..

When the mayor gave his "speech" a little while ago, it scared the tar out of me. (http://www.wwltv.com/video/index.html?nvid=277769&shu=1) I don't freak out over hurricanes as I have been through so many of them, but he said this is "The mother of all hurricanes" and now, yeah, I'm freaked. We are still staying. But if the power is going to be out for weeks like it was after K, we will go to north carolina to my sister's house or go to Jackson mississippi to stay with cousins.

I am not in harms way as far as flooding, tidal surges etc. I am about 30 miles north of Lake Ponchartrain which is the closest large body of water. What I AM worried about is pine trees. Some are still very weak since Katrina. I have one about 15 feet from my bedroom. The limbs are all gone off of it since K, but I'm worried about the hundred ft. "stick" that is left.
For once I am glad I have no family here to worry about any more since they all are gone after K. One elderly aunt in N.O. and she was picked up and brought to Baton Rouge today. But, they said the wind may be as much as 100mph in BR, so it would be about the same here.

And speaking of gas...everyone here on this list had better go top off their gas asap. When this thing gets into the gulf, it is going to wipe out a lot of oil rigs. Then where it is hitting once it hits land is where most of the U.S.'s oil refineries are. I think gas will be at a premium after this things roars through here.

Barb0522
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
We got to the hospital and went into Critical Care. Criss was in there with him feeding him. The nurse told us Brian was too young to visit in Critical Care (even though we told her he had been there two nights already). However they were getting ready to move him to a regular room so we waited and got to see him settled. He's in bad shape and in a lot of pain but at least Brian has no problem seeing him now that he is in a regular room. We'll go back tomorrow.

A friend and her son came over tonight and it was so nice to be able to talk to her about everything that has been going on. We had to drag the boys away since it was getting late. They were having so much fun swimming and playing the Wii that they didn't want to stop.

rebel - Thanks for the wishes. Yes, things are better. He's still swollen and getting oxygen. He's getting some insulin and a fair amount of morphine. I like his nurse. He seemed to accept me being there okay. I think he is just grateful that I brought Brian. I think it helped that his friend was there today and she's one that treats me okay so that helped. I do need to read my email from the other list but I haven't gotten to that today.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Cat - I'm worried too. DH and I are both trying to not let DS know how worried we are. He asked today why DH was putting boards over the windows....I told him that our pesky neighbors (his best friend) kept looking in our windows and we were sick of it!

We should be ok as far as trees go - ours are all relatively new and bendy. Flooding? I'm not sure. I know that Laf. has a LOT of low lying areas and I just hope that our cars/home isn't damaged by flooding....btw, I called our insurance today and made sure we had flood insurance on both our cars and house. Whew.

FIL is still trying to get back from Alabama - we'll see how long it takes him.

I don't know where we'll go if the power is out for weeks....I really don't. We really don't have any family that is close(r) than Minnesota and friends are full to the max with family staying with them. We'll figure something out.

I just hate this feeling of waiting. This anxiety is killing me. DH keeps telling me to get some sleep....yeah right.... I just keep thinking to myself "are we doing enough...is there more that can be done?"

Keep in touch, dear. I'll probably be up all night :)

KO
08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Ladies Just wanted to check in and say our prayers are with the Southern Chicks Please be careful! :grouphug:

cottagebythesea
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I was just watching the latest hurricane report on TWC. It sure doesn't sound good. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you girls in the danger zone. Please try to let us know how you are, and also let me know if there's anything at all I can do to help.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
in lighter news - I bought a 2 pint container of organic raspberries at Sam's club for 4.49 today. cha-ching.

cottagebythesea
08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
We just spent $111 on 3 lobsters at a lobster pound that we had to stand in line over an hour for, then we had to eat outside while being eaten alive by mosquitoes because all the inside tables were taken, and half-way through the meal the sky opened up and thoroughly soaked us, and it was raining so hard on the way back to our hotel that we could barely see the road. When we pulled in, I think the stress really got to us because we just sat in the car and almost laughed ourselves sick over the entire situation.
I just had a long, hot shower and am sitting up in bed with a hot mug of Sleepytime tea beside me. I'm covered with a zillion mosquito bites but I'm feeling much, much better.

femmecreole
08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Uh, I have a feeling that when this is over with, I'll be on phase 1 again. I would have eaten the 2 pints of raspberries by now. My husband went to the store again today and came home with nothing but junk...pop tarts, cookies, candy etc...oh except for three boxes of SF popsicles for me....and I've already eaten half of one box. pure nerves. I wanted everything out of the freezer so I could load it up with bottles of water to freeze. Damn..guess I have 2 more boxes to eat by tomorrow, right???

Luckily I have enough cans of beans for several phase ones!!!! I am a bundle of nerves and have been "picking" all day long...nothing that I shouldn't eat, but probably too much of it.

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I just finished the last of the raspberries. I just dumped them into a pint of yogurt....it's like a nerve smoothie.

I think next I'm going to dive into those chocolate chip cookies I made earlier.

The thing is...I'm not even hungry....my fingers just need something to do and eating really fills them up, along with typing.

Oh, and Cottage - $111 for 3 lobsters while getting soaked in rain and eaten alive by mosquitoes? Thanks...but no thanks. I like lobster, but definitely not that much.

I definitely don't think we have enough chocolate for a weeks worth of these nerves. I have about 40 million poptarts though and a 5 lb. bucket of pretzel rods.

Fat Melanie
08-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Oh man, BF was telling me about what they were saying on the news earlier, about how bad this storm could potentially be! I told him how some of you Chicks live in that area and I hope all of you guys are okay. Are they really making all of you evacuate?? BF said your governor and etc said they won't leave the state until they make sure everyone has evacuated. (Is this true??) Best wishes to all of you in the path of the storm, I don't mean to sound corny but I truly truly hope everyone is okay.

On a lighter note, can the Monday thread be called "Mundane Monday Chat"? :p Monday is so mundane.

*sending good wishes everyone's way* I'm gonna start paying attention to the news to keep up. I don't want anything bad to happen to anyone. :)

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 01:56 AM
um.....I think he might be talking about the Mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin. NOLA is under a mandatory evacuation, as are most of the coastal parishes. I know that Mandy evacuated, as far as I know Cat is still staying and so are we. We are in Lafayette Parish in Lafayette city. So far, we are under a voluntary evac.

It's still a cat. 4, but is predicted to move on to Cat. 5 status sometime during the night. We should start feeling minor effects by tomorrow afternoon and tropical storm force winds/rain by late Sunday evening.

As bad as that sounds, they dissipate very quickly when on land. We're 50 miles from the coast and when it hits our city, it is expected to be a cat.2 (still nothing to f around with) but better than if we were in Houma or Intercoastal city.

We had a friend of ours who lives in Virginia call her parents in Dallas and they agreed to give us a room for awhile if we needed one....we'll make the decision tomorrow....although honestly, our area is rather safe and on relatively high ground (is anything in Louisiana actually high ground?)

Like a momma hen, I'm making sure everyone of our single, male friends has enough food and water and a safe place to stay. We may end up housing a really good friend of ours for a few nights. For some reason, I don't think we have enough food - even though we really have enough to feed a small army for about a month.....and that isn't even including the PBJ sandwiches (thank god I had ww bread in the freezer). DH laughs, but I might go out tomorrow and scrounge to see what else is available. We also have 15 gallons of drinking water, 2 bathtubs, a sink and a washer to fill up with water to use for watering plants, watering cats, flushing toilets, etc. if the water goes out.

DH has 3 propane tanks (overboard, much!) for our grill so we will have a way to heat food if necessary and our neighbor owns a gas station with a generator and an ice source. When our food can no longer be kept in the cooler with ice, we'll just grill it up!

This could very easily turn into a giant block party as none of our neighbors are leaving.

BTW, I gave DS his own personal flashlight that I bought just for this occasion....told him it was for our campout that was starting tonight....he was so proud. He is sleeping with it next to him on his pillow. He also loves sleeping in our bedroom....a rare treat for him.

--

as I am finally out of lemon yogurt and raspberries - a quart of yogurt was just a BIT more than I should have poured myself ;) and I've had too much tea...I'm going to try sleeping.

DS is looking too cute to not go snuggle with him.

cottagebythesea
08-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Good morning,
It's looking like it's going to be a gorgeous day here for our last day in Maine. I'm letting everyone sleep in since we'll have a 12 hour drive back home later this afternoon. We have to get Caitlyn checked in at college at noon, then get her all unpacked and settled in, and there's a parent orientation tea from 3 - 4, then we're leaving after that. Boo hoo, it's going to be sad, but Monica and I feel so much better after being here and seeing the town and all. Caite sure did pick a gorgeous setting for her school, and I hope she enjoys her next 4 years here. I know I'll be up here often! :)

CyndiM
08-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Good morning Chicks :coffee2:

Cottage - I envy Cate - what a beautiful area to spend 4 years. I'll be thinking of you all this afternoon. It's such a bitter sweet moment leaving our young 'uns alone.

Cat, Zeff, Mandy - sending lots of thoughts your way and hoping the next few days go well for all of you and your families.

Yesterday was productive. We picked peaches (how cool is that!) then I set up 5 trays of peaches, 2 of nectarines and 4 of apples to dry. My back hall smells heavenly. Today I'll rotate stuff and do the rest of the fruit, then back to veggies tomorrow. Turns out cucumber chips are really good, even better than zucchini chips! After I get that done and laundry in we are heading up our little mountain for hawk watching. It will be nice to get outside and visit with friends.

Have a good day everyone!

TwynnB
08-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Good morning!

Signing in from the hotel room....everyone is finally awake! I just got back from the treadmill in the exercise room...I've never done THAT before!! Makes me feel good about myself!

Next...get ready to go to the zoo!

Thinking of the ladies in LA, etc...

Ruthxxx
08-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Oh my! I feel worse about our LA Beachies now than I did last night. I wish to heck I lived closer and could bring you all here. Please don't take any chances and check in as soon as you can after it hits.

The guys left for fishing before seven and Margo, Elaine and I are just chatting, sipping coffee and petting dogs. We will go out for breakfast in a while and then they all will be out in the boat. That's their plan - mine is to spend a relaxing day with some sewing and reading on the deck.

I hope your Sunday is as peaceful and safe.

ladybugnessa
08-31-2008, 08:43 AM
I have other friends in NOLA that are getting out.. .they left yesterday.

Katrina did not affect me till AFTER and it was work related... this time I have friends down there now. Praying in my own heathen way for all to be safe.

doing great here... nice weather today. gamed last night , will game tonite
scale 211.4 today.... so i am going to meet my August weight loss goal how cool is that???

femmecreole
08-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Morning all. My husband made it back from N.O. last night in about 4 hours...way faster than I thought he would. It usually takes about 45 minutes. Daughter is at the airport waiting for her flight out. He brought her to her Grandmother's house (ex's Mom) and they dropped her off at the airport as they were leaving town early this morning. So at least she will be able to get out. She was scared she would get stuck here for weeks and not be able to work.

My husband had to work today. He usually works on Sundays. He works in the Computer dept at the local university, so it will probably be nuts there today.

Except for bringing in a few last minute things, we are as ready as we can be. I realized last night that we have a HUGE sand pile in front of our house which hopefully won't sandblast my house of it's paint. I just had it painted about a year or so ago. My son was filling in under our house with sand until he decided to build a french drain instead (we had standing water under the house) I guess I don't have to worry about moving that sand wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow now!!

This really is historic. NEVER been a forced evacuation in so many parishes before. scarey.

I'll keep checking in as long as I can. But afterwards we may all be without power for a long time, so if I don't check in, it doesn't mean I got blown away..I'll just be hot and miserable!!

Pearlrose
08-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Good morning Chickies

Mandy, Cat and Zeff sending prayers your way. My parents are not going to evacuate either, so I am right there with you with nerves, even though I am not down there I have to worry about them as well.

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 09:28 AM
haha, cat. At least the hurricane isn't going to move the wheelbarrow AND the sand. Just think of what the wheelbarrow could do to your house!

What university does he work at? ULL was closed all weekend and until Tuesday.

No idea whether or not FIL has gotten home or not. Cell phone lines are plugged.

I feel like getting donuts....except I don't know how to get there with contraflow in place and the place is likely to be closed anyway.

contraflow seems to be working really well though....I'll take a look when I head out for my sunday paper.

awoke to find DH sleeping in DS' race car bed and DS sleeping in our bed....strange.

about to go take a walk around the neighborhood and see how others have prepared. It is eerily cool and beautiful this morning.

femmecreole
08-31-2008, 09:43 AM
He's at SLU. The computer dept is staffed 24/7 even when school is closed. It's the main frame computer for the university,so they have to make sure everything is "up" and running all the time...well, until the power goes out.
BTW, I did a lot of partying at ULL when I was in college. It was USL then. There was a fraternity thing there with guys from the frat here at SLU.

Barb0522
08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Zeff - If you (or Cat or Mandy) think you might come to Dallas, please PM me and I'll give you my cell phone. I'm in a suburb on the northeast side of Dallas and would love to do what I can to help. I don't know if I can offer a room until I know where Robert's sister is going to stay but I would do what I can to help. And I would love to meet anyone that comes here.

The Dallas convention center was set up to take 1,000 evacuees yesterday with cots and tables and doctors and nurses. We were a big evacuation area for those from Louisiana and east Texas for Katrina and they've worked on their plans since then.

I am hoping that all of you and your friends and houses stay safe. I grew up in Tampa so we were always watching the hurricanes but it rarely gets major effect for the hurricanes.

hmacneil6
08-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry I didn't check in yesterday, and that today is going to be really short for now. Just know that I had a good - but busy - day.

Cat, Zeff, & Mandy - I'm just praying that everything and everyone is safe. Be smart (which it sounds like you already are) and do what you need to do after it hits. Let us know, when you can, how you're doing!!!! :hug:

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 10:59 AM
He's at SLU. The computer dept is staffed 24/7 even when school is closed. It's the main frame computer for the university,so they have to make sure everything is "up" and running all the time...well, until the power goes out.
BTW, I did a lot of partying at ULL when I was in college. It was USL then. There was a fraternity thing there with guys from the frat here at SLU.

That sucks. I guess the power was pulled on the computers in the math building....so DH can't really do any work even if he wanted to be on campus.

Targets and Wal-marts are closed across the southern parishes - I think up to third tier parishes.

We just hit a winn dixie for tomatoes for breakfast (everyone else was getting water and supplies....we bought eggs and tomatoes) HUGE lines.

My FIL doesn't have a large enough gas tank to get back from Alabama on whatever available gas.....so he's staying there. My MIL is freaking out.....and she doesn't have anybody to curb her completely insane fears. Oh my. I don't think I can ride through a hurricane with her in the house....I think I would rather the roof blow off.

--

Barb - thanks for the offer. We have a few people in Dallas that have rooms available if we need them :) Thanks!

femmecreole
08-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Barb!! So sweet of you.
If it looks like we will be without power for a long legnth of time afterwards and neither of us has to work, we are going to pack up and head for my sister's home in NC.

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
btw, apple fritters are acceptable during hurricanes, right? We should implement Phase H.

femmecreole
08-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Sure they are...along with the Havarti cheese I just ate. And I keep eyeing the box of crunch n munch my husband hauled in yesterday but have resisted. Stuff that had no appeal to me looks real good right now. I know it is just a huge case of nerves. Phase H..I love it.
Just got finished reorganizing my freezer, and put a couple of cases of bottled water in there to freeze so we can at least have cool water for a couple of days.

Fat Melanie
08-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Ahh, the Mayor. I would say that I probably misunderstood Bf, but the more LIKELY case was that he completely got the story wrong. He often does. Tell him one thing and if he repeats it, it's so completely just... wrong.

So Mandyleigh evacuated, guys? Are the rest of you guys still staying or are you now considering evacuating? Zeffryn, you sound incredibly prepared and the idea of giving DS a flashlight was very sweet. Femmecreole, what is your plan? :)

I need to tackle my bedroom today, it is a god-awful mess. BF leaves his clothes in a huge pile by his side of the bed, and this horrible pile spread out towards the entire room. Not to mention there is boxes of stuff in there I need to do something with, although we don't have the room to do anything with it! And there is a laundry pile down the hallway, leaking out from the room and spreading out through the hallway like fungus. For some reason people think if they throw their laundry right on the floor by the washer and dryer, it will get done. I managed to avoid one cookout today, and may be able to avoid another one if I put my foot down enough.

Phase 1 for me unsalvagable at this point, so Monday, I'M BUCKLING DOWN... (make that, buckling desperately over a bloated up belly) and restarting ph 1 and if I even dare think about going off plan, then I'm going to cut my fingers off so I CAN'T eat. Okay, not really, but still.

Belle Mer
08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm doing Phase 1.5 again starting tomorrow. I thought I'd be a smarty pants and move from Phase 1.5 to Phase 2 right away. It was a total disaster. Now I have to backtrack.

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Belle - the sticky on moving to P2 slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly really helped me. In the end though, it was a guessing game. After awhile I learned which foods triggered me and which foods didn't, which ones I could eat without a gain and which ones, albeit seemingly safe, made me gain like crazy.

Good luck :)

Belle Mer
08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Belle - the sticky on moving to P2 slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly really helped me. In the end though, it was a guessing game. After awhile I learned which foods triggered me and which foods didn't, which ones I could eat without a gain and which ones, albeit seemingly safe, made me gain like crazy.

Good luck :)

Thanks! I think that I know which foods are triggers. My problem is that I just can't seem to stay away from them. I'm starting counseling this week so I hope that will help.

rdw1
08-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi all! Sorry no time for personals- Hope all you chickies in the path of Gustav are safe and sound! I did pretty well, very badly yesterday but Ll is forgotten and I am totally on track today. I did buy a couple of items to add back in slowly to my diet. I couldn't find any bran flakes at the local store without sugar in them so I bought shredded wheat. Anyone else eat this? Also, I found some whole wheat and whole grain tortillas made from the tortilla factory. All the ones that said whole wheat didn't really look good from the ingredient list! They try to be tricky!

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 06:36 PM
rdw1 - I love shredded wheat - especially in the winter when I pour hot milk over it. I usually toss a few blueberries or whatever fruit I have on hand as well. Warms the belly and soul!

mandyleigh
08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Phase H....girls I LOVE IT!! hahaha...

Talk about irony...we drove up to the hotel and there's a freakin popeyes in front of the hotel! (For those that might not know, Popeyes is a new orleans born fried chicken chain). Just ironic that I'm trying to get away and that it's just following me!

We've made it up to Arkansas safe and sound. It was me, my grandmother, and my two (large) dogs and all our luggage in my Jeep. Not as bas as it may sound.

The journey began around 4 this morning (after sleeping for a whopping 30 minutes). My parents and sister and all of their animals arrived at my house in Hammond around 4 and we headed out. Contraflow on the interstate was supposed to begin at 4...so we got stuck sitting on I12 for about 35 minutes, but I'm thankful we did. We were in the lanes of traffic that were sent to the "southbound" lanes and there was no traffic. Looking over at the traditional northbound lanes they were just sitting....after a while it lightened up on both sides and we were flowing just as regular interstate traffic would. Contraflow continued until just before Brookhaven, MS. This also makes me wnder where Louisiana sends their money for their roads. I've been in LA, MS, TN, and AR today....and all of the roads have been exceptional once we got out of LA. On a side note, I was watching one of the local guys practically begging people to leave the viewing area at 330 this morning. At that time, that made me feel better about leaving.

We arrived at the hotel before check-in and before the room was ready, so Phase H hit and I actually did have a piece of that horrid popeyes chicken. But we've now gotten in the rooms, took a nap, and now watching the news. No local new orleans news...although I'm going to try and watch the webcast of one of the local stations. I miss Bob Breck!!! It's funny watching the national people for a hurricane...it's really scarey the discrepencies they present.

ANyhow....time to go walk the dogs again.

Cat and Zeph....good luck girls!!! Next time I HIGHLY doubt I'll leave. This is for the birds. Safe is safe, but crazy safe, is well, crazy. Cat you are right...I never remember having this many evac orders for this many parishes. Did you hear that the storm surge may reach as close as Pontchatoula!?

Good luck to everyone that may be impacted with this crazy situation!

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Mandy - did you just watch Jindal's press conference? He said that the storm surge predictions were less now - between 8-15 feet.

I have to wonder if the state is being overly cautious because of Katrina with all of the evac orders. A friend of ours works for a hospital in Iberia parish and isn't allowed to evac....fortunately, his wife's baby is due tomorrow so they are just moving into the hospital!

Glad you made it to Arkansas alright......we just left that horrid state.....ugh ugh ugh.

Have fun on Phase H :) It is definitely one of the more enjoyable phases!

SunshineCA
08-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Just popping in to say howdy to everyone! :)

Hope you all are having a happy Sunday! :)

Barb0522
08-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Michael, Maria and Robert's sister, Janet were at the hospital when we got there today. Janet says she is his next of kin because of stuff related to the criminal charges. I didn't want to start a scene when Robert was being very nice but I felt like asking if that meant she would be responsible for his hospital bills. They did get something notorized so that she can go get his motorcycle out of impound. It has racked up $300 in storage fees because they wouldn't release it to Michael. I bet they would have released it to me.

Oh, well, Robert had a nice visit with Brian and he is getting better and that is what is important.

EofAZ
08-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Mandy, Zeff, Cat, my heart has been with you all day. I started this morning watching the progress of the storm on Fox News Network and haven't been able to turn it off ... until now. The NASCAR Race trumped my wanting to watch the storm coverage. Oh well, DH has tolerated me all day I guess I can give him a little time watching what he would like.
I do hope that people are being over cautious and the storm isn’t as bad as expected but I would rather see everyone prepared then caught off guard.
Stay safe.

zeffryn
08-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Based on the amount of people at the grocery store this morning...people are definitely getting prepared! Thanks for your thoughts :)

This bowl of nectarines and raspberries is absolutely perfect....mmmmmmm....