Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

Talking Some Happy Thoughts About Eating Out

I just wanted to say that ever since I started my journey toward more healthful habits, I have had so much fun going out to eat.

What's fun about it is that I go to these restaurants where I've always had my favorite meals -- cheese omelette with avocado and tomato in one -- and a steaming, heaping plate full of fried rice in another -- but, I've always admired the variety, freshness and colorfulness of other dishes that emerge from the kitchen. I always had stick to my favorite fatty dishes before, but now I can try these other dishes that have kind of intrigued me.

What an experience! Wonderful dishes with so much flavor and color and textures! Such an adventure.

Anyone else feel this way?
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #2  
Yeah.....

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'1''

Yeah, I start to crave the good stuff!!!
CapriPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I enjoy it too. I know a lot of people get stressed about going out to eat, but I think it's kind of fun to find things on the menu that work for me. And to experiement and try new things.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #4  

At one place, I had the Salad Trio -- which would normally sound soooooo boring, but the chicken salad had such a fresh, delicious flavor and the spinach salad had little bits of blue cheese and the fruit salad was like a delightful dessert.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Isn't it wonderful to rediscover food in a new way? I've found restaurants that do an awesome grilled salmon, that have a weight-friendly grilled chicken salad option, and that allow me to substitute fresh fruit for the hash browns. I like to look up nutrition info on the restaurant's website (if they have the info) before I go so I know which way to steer.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i too experiment with the healthy options when i go out to eat....
it isnt very often, but i do when i go out....
even order water as opposed to anyother drink!....
go me....
hehe....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

When we were driving up to Canada earlier this summer, after a looooong day of driving, we stopped at a hotel that had a pub-type restaurant across the street. We were starving so we went over there for dinner, and of course the menu was full of burgers and fried fish and that sort of thing. They did have this really interesting salad that wasn't lettuce-based. It featured a bowl of hummus, then things to eat with it like fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, cucumber slices, pita wedges, bell pepper, grape tomatoes... Oh, it was just divine. It sounds simple enough but what I wouldn't give to see something like this more often!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You do have to watch the salads though! Cheese and croutons, not to mention the dressing, add up!

I haven't been there in a while, but I like some of the salads at Panera!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
They did have this really interesting salad that wasn't lettuce-based. It featured a bowl of hummus, then things to eat with it like fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, cucumber slices, pita wedges, bell pepper, grape tomatoes... Oh, it was just divine. It sounds simple enough but what I wouldn't give to see something like this more often!
I buy hummus on a regular basis at the grocery store. My favourite one is the kind that has roasted garlic in it. Though there is also soy-based hummus that I am planning to look for when I am grocery shopping - actually is made both from soy and from chickpeas.

You can enjoy that salad at home on a regular basis, I am certain of that. It doesn't take much time to cut up peppers, cucumber, etc. and pita bread. I also often snack on hummus when "the munchies" get to me.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #10  

I will be having brunch with my parents today and will be taking them to a new Cheesecake Factory that opened up nearby. While doing a scouting mission, my husband and I ordered the California Omelette and split it. It had tons of vegetables, just a little feta and high fiber bread.

I think it's kind of fun to go to seemingly "off-limit" places and make the best of it. Like conquering the beast!

Now you guys have me thinking about hummus. I'll have to get some at the grocery today.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I find that I now go straight for the salad options first. I used to never even think of looking at the salads since I am very stuck in what I like and what I don't like. I'm a very picky eater, so I usually stuck with burgers and/or chicken fingers.

One of the best meals I ever had was a salad at a small restaurant in the upper peninsula in Michigan that had a cherry vinagriette dressing. It was so good and so filling!!!
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Height: 5'8"

I had hibachi grilled halibut at a Japanese restaurant several weeks ago that I'm still thinking about (daily!). It was incredible. I loved every bite. I would have never dreamed of ordering it before I began this journey.

Last edited by pinkcarnation; 08-31-2008 at 06:14 PM.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6

I enjoy eating out too. What I like about it is the inspiration it gives me to make the dishes at home...and make them even healthier!
VivienStarlust is offline   Reply With Quote