General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Toys vs nutrition

OK, so I went into the rant & rave section of Craigslist. (why? dunno, bored I suppose) and there was a lady complaining about the toy her kids received.. Here's her post... Sorry for curse, it's what she posted...

Whats with the hidious toys,I asked for happy meals with toys for a little girl and a little boy and they said the toys were for both boys and girls and look what we got! a creepy nightmare makers for a 4 and a 2 year old.The guy in front of me chucked the pin head one out the window by the exit in the parking lot where it has been run over a few times and once by me.I hope Mcdonalds puts a little more thought in future happy meal toys not all kids like this hidous ****.Oh yeah thanks for the heart burn.There more like not so happy meals. '

I was going to respond, but someone beat me too it, and I have to say, well done!

First of all, I would think you'd be more concerned with the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of the meal you purchased for your two and five year olds, rather than showing so much concern for the toy contained within. Are your children so spoiled that not only do they expect greasy fast-food for dinner, but also need to be bribed with a toy to eat it?

Secondly, unless you're blind and live in a hole, the new animated "Clone Wars" movie (and the upcoming tv show of the same name) is all the rage at the moment. When's the last time McDonald's wasn't promoting the newest "kids" movie with their Happy Meal toys? And every McDonalds I've been to has a big advertisement near the ordering board with pictures of the exciting new toys that they'll be using to bribe your malnutritioned little babies. Do you spend so much time trying to prepare your children for a life of heart disease, liver and kidney damage that you don't even look at the ordering board anymore?

Instead of posting a picture of the toys with your complaint, post a picture of yourself so we can plan an intervention for your poor children. Included with the nutritional food you might receive could possibly be... a BOOK. Or a PUZZLE. Or something that requires a brain-wave or two to entertain your babies.

What is this world comin
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, Craigslist is a good place to keep rants!

I'll move this thread to General Chatter so it gets more views.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #3  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm not defending the lady or her horrible choices for her child. But I think that people need to be careful not to judge anyone for what they post online, or even by a few glances at them while they are eating in a restaurant, for that matter.

Having been into the natural foods thing for a long time, I've learned over the years that there really are people who are completely clueless about nutrition. I mean totally unaware. They don't read any nutrition news, or have any interest. I know that sounds hard to believe but there really are people who are like that.

And it's none of my business unless they ask me about nutrition.

And honestly, what right does anyone have to judge that lady? What if she only allows her kid to eat fast food every once in a while and eats healthy 99% of the time? How does anyone online know her entire story? And what if she wants to feed her kid fast food every day? It's her business. Yes, she left herself open to attack by ranting about the toys. But still, I think there's way too much judgment going on.

I am not criticizing you personally, or the person who replied to the lady's rant, you are entitiled to your opinions.

But surely no one has all the facts, and it grieves me that people make such snap judgments about others. I can't imagine what people say about me behind my back when they see my hubby's ice cream in my shopping cart. They are totally unaware that I never touch the stuff, yet they might snicker about the fat lady buying ice cream.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #4  

My kids probably have fast food maybe once a month, if that. They, personally, pick where we go based on who is offering the "best toy" as my kids put it -- because I don't believe any of these "restaurants" have anything to toot their horn about as far as nutrition goes

Not to pick on the woman, but for $3.00 for a whole meal and a toy what did she expect, a Wii?

And, I'm sure she has her reasons for the rant -- it seems maybe she doesn't go there very much if she wasn't aware of the junk toys they offer. I wish I had been there with her, my boys would have loved to get her starwars toys!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #5  
Determined to lose!

Belle, I understand what your saying. In the grocery store I have to hold myself back when I see people load their carts with carbs, sugars and sodas.. and I'm learning to not even think about it...

The reason I was going to reply was to point out nutrition, but I was not judging her for that. I just want to help folks! but know that it's not myplace!

Thanks for your response
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What gets me about that post is that the responding poster automatically assumes the eating habits of the kids based on -one- meal. The mom never says "I go to McD's all the time, and their toys suck". She says "I went there, and this particular toy sucked". In fact, the fact that she was seeing these toys for the first time (assuming she posted this in the last couple days) when they have been out for 2 weeks at this point implies she isn't a "McDonalds Every Night" kind of mom.

She also never says that her kids never get anything other than Happy Meal toys.

So I think the response leapt to all sorts of non-supported conclusions. First, that the kids need a nutritional intervention (One happy meal does not a pattern nor future health problems make! It's patterns, not exceptions, that form eating habits), and second, that they own no toys that aren't brainless junk. Heck, maybe she was irritated about the toy because it WAS brainless junk!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do think that a rant of this nature, could actually more likely reflect the views of someone who hardly ever goes to McDonald's rather than someone who goes frequently (otherwise, you'd sort of expect them to be numbed to the junk factor, I think). Even "not" knowing what the "latest rage" in children's crap/toys would support this.

That being said - if a person is going to "rant," is a "rant" response truly inappropriate? Ranting is almost never rational, so in response to a "rant" are we obligated to give a rational response, or are we invited or even obligated to "rant along?" And if so, are we obligated to rant in parallel (agreement) or is it ok to rant in opposition?

To my way of thinking a rant opens the door to other rants, which don't have to agree with the original rant.

There is a time to be compassionate, nonjudgemental, and understanding, but I'm not sure a rant over a toy, is necessarily one of them. I'm not saying one good rant, deserves another - I'm just saying I don't see the second rant as any more or less reasonable than the first.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-29-2008 at 03:10 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #8  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Just a reminder that McDs do carry a different toy for kids under 3 yrs. "Toddler Toy by Fisher Price" The commonly advertized movie theme ones are usually for ages 4 & up.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6

I find her personal attack ironic considering she frequents McDonald's enough to educate the original poster on the location of the pictures of the new toys next to the "ordering board."
VivienStarlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #10  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Belle, I understand what your saying. In the grocery store I have to hold myself back when I see people load their carts with carbs, sugars and sodas.. and I'm learning to not even think about it...

The reason I was going to reply was to point out nutrition, but I was not judging her for that. I just want to help folks! but know that it's not myplace!

Thanks for your response

I understand. I used to really really want to help folks too, but I had to back off when I realized that some people just don't want to know.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #11  
carinna

Sometimes I think a rant is just that, a rant. Not a request for advice or lectures from random strangers who really don't know anything about the OP.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

lol it's just a cheap toy from a Happy Meal If she wants to have her kids get real toys then go to a toy store!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
lol it's just a cheap toy from a Happy Meal If she wants to have her kids get real toys then go to a toy store!
And you usually know what the toy is due to signs/advertising all over the drive-up menu and in the store. Not really a surprise.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #14  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
And you usually know what the toy is due to signs/advertising all over the drive-up menu and in the store. Not really a surprise.
lol yeah!

My oldest knows what toys are at what fast food place, I guess from TV. I get them kid's meals about once every couple of weeks, usually on the day I have to go pick up orders and stuff for my business. I'm not a person to usually get upset with the toys though lol It's funny to see how much people get worked up over the little stuff.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When hubby and I take the nephews for lunch, we (as the spoiling aunt and uncle) let them pick the restaurant. Usually they want a specific toy, so we offer to take them to a "regular" restaurant and go buy the piece of crap toy (usually $1) or take them to the dollar store after we eat.

Usually they pick a regular restaurant and the dollar store. Though sometimes they pick the regular restaurant and the fast food toy. And very rarely they really want to go to the fast food restaurant and get the fast food toy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote