Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone else diagnosed pre-diabetic?

I was diagnosed in Sept. 2006 and I need to get to a healthy weight so that I can stop taking one metformin a day.

Anybody else in the same situation?
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

My blood sugar has been elevated the last 2 years and this July I was officially diagnosed with pre-diabetes and put on Metformin (1500mg with my evening meal).

The thing that scared me was blurry vision. I can deal with a big butt even tho I don't like it but it worried me to no end to lose my sight.

So I bought some books to get more information. Was lucky to get into a free diabetes education program at the local hospital, made some changes to my Weight Watchers diet (including sticking more to points and cutting more carbs out). I joined a gym and go 4 times a week. Because of work schedules it meant giving up my night owl habits and going to bed early because we are at the gym at 5:30am working out now.

Was it easy Do I like it Do I feel better? and even my numbers are improving from my latest blood work so I have to admit (even reluctantly) that this is what I HAVE to do.

I am a very stubborn person. The first few weeks after I was diagnosed I kept telling myself I have to change my lifestyle. But I'll start my next meal - I really wanted a cheeseburger right now. Or although I said I'd exercise today, I'm really tired, I'll start tomorrow. And tomorrow never came. Just like when I half heartedly tried to quit smoking. So I knew I had to put myself in a position where I was forced to do good for myself.

Thing is Wifey from the people I've talked to and the books I've read, they all say that pre-diabetes, you have a good fighting chance to turn this around. Diabetes is a progressive disease so once you go down that road, there's no turning back. Do everything possible not to get there. If that means scaring yourself silly or having people nag you or just digging deep and finding that committment to change, do it.

I have made alot of positive changes and the weight is still coming off very very slowly. It would be easy to say, why try if it's not working but I know now that it's that little self sabotage voice whispering in my ear, instead of voice of reason and common sense.

It looks like you've made a good start on the weight so far. keep up the good work!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Another name for prediabetes is insulin resistance. Metabolic syndrome or Syndrome X are terms used if you are insulin resistant and have other symptoms/diagnoses such as being overweight, having mild or more severe high blood pressure and/or elevated cholesterol levels.

PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) is a condition that is often associated with insulin resistance/diabetes. I don't have PCOS, but I often read and post on the PCOS/Insulin Resistance thread, because I do have "metabolic syndrome - the insulin resistance, the obesity, and the blood pressuer/cholesterol issues."

Prescription medications and a vitamin keep the blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol under control. For me that's metformin, simvastatin, avalide, atenelol, and niacin.

Lower carb or lower GI carb diets often are helpful for weight loss if you're insulin resistant/prediabetic. On the metformin, it's usually not wise to go as low carb as something like Atkins. Your blood sugar can drop to the point it makes you feel ill. South Beach style eating works best for me (Phase II, I cut Phase I short because it was too low carb with the metformin.)

Weight Watchers, and TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) are two other programs that can be very helpful. I've been a member of both, and I prefer TOPS (not only because it's less than 1/12 the cost), but because my local chapter is very intimate, supportive, and motivating. We sponsor fun games and contests to keep things fun and exciting and while a person can follow any food plan they wish, the endorsed plan is an exchange plan based on the diabetic exchanges. I just swapped out a couple starch exchanges for protein and to add flexibility to my plan, rather than picking the 1800 calorie plan, I based my required exchanges from the 1500 calorie plan and used the extra exchanges for the 1800 calorie plan as "optional" exchanges.

Maybe I made it more complicated than it had to be, but it really suited my needs. I try to pick my exchanges from primarily South Beach friendly foods, but the exchange system provides portion control and a way that any food can be fit into my plan (but high carb foods, especially refined carbs like white flour and sugar, make me a lot hungrier, so the more SB friendly foods I eat, the less hungry I am).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

Wifey -- I almost wish I had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I was diagnosed 2 months ago as full-blown diabetic. Mine was a result of carrying around so much weight, plus compounding it by holding an unbelievably stressful job for over a year and not getting enough sleep. Let's say it put me on the fast track to getting the disease.

That pretty much scared me into not touching starches at all and to exercising every day. I've lost 23 lbs in 2 months. I'm still learning about it, but I believe that I'll never be cured of it. I just hope to get to my proper weight and proper exercise and eating habits so that I can minimize the effects of the disease. I feel like I'm in this boat because I was irresponsible. Now, I'm taking the responsibility to try my hardest to turn it around.

Good luck to you!
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #5  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
I was diagnosed in Sept. 2006 and I need to get to a healthy weight so that I can stop taking one metformin a day.

Anybody else in the same situation?

I was daignosed pre-diabetic 30 years ago - and every time my blood has been tested since. About 7 years ago a doctor told me that anyone who was pre-diabetic would be diabetic in 3-4 years. I disagree. ;-)

I believe the key in my case is that I did learn how to eat and have done it enough that my body has been able to maintain.

I have lots more stories about blood sugar, but mainly wanted to let you know that this diagnosis is not a death (or diabetes) sentence. If you really do make the changes you need to, it is possible to learn to eat in such a way that doesn't make it worse.

My best to you in your search.

Delita
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #6  

Hey everyone! When I went for my annual physical in July I had a 2 hour OGTT and from that result I've been diagnosed a pre-diabetic. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tues to discuss treatment options. Any ideas about what I can expect?

Thanks!
OhCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh wow . . . DELITA . . . I think you are one of the few who are truly lucky.

OHCHARLIE . . . for most the secret is losing weight and getting some more exercise, watching your eating habits (i.e., make sure your carbs are fairly evenly spread across the day and try to get the majority of your carb content from low GI vegetables and whole grains). Depending on your BGL levels, you doctor may put you on oral medications (Metformin being the most commonly used first these days). I really, really hope you are one of the lucky ones that beat the full-fledged Diabetes diagnosis.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #8  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Oh wow . . . DELITA . . . I think you are one of the few who are truly lucky.

OHCHARLIE . . . for most the secret is losing weight and getting some more exercise, watching your eating habits (i.e., make sure your carbs are fairly evenly spread across the day and try to get the majority of your carb content from low GI vegetables and whole grains). Depending on your BGL levels, you doctor may put you on oral medications (Metformin being the most commonly used first these days). I really, really hope you are one of the lucky ones that beat the full-fledged Diabetes diagnosis.

Good advice. My thoughts are: make sure you are getting enough good protein, especailly at every meal and even with every snack. Also, ditch the simple carbs for complex carbs. Simple carbs are the culprit. Avoid *other* (as in artificial) sweeteners because they trigger craving. Exercise is always good, and even a stroll counts. One of the biggest things I learned is don't go too long between meals and NEVER skip one. Carry snacks and keep *healthy* foods with you at work. Take them when you are in the car. Many times you end up out longer than you planned. Sometimes I do use the occasional protein bar, and just look for about as many grams protein as carbs (most are way too low on protein).

When my doctor diagnosed me he wouldn't give me anything in writing. He said, pay attention to your body. Don't miss meals, eat more protein. You will learn. I did. It was amazing how fast I did. I'm very grateful and don't miss eating the way I used to at all. I'm healthy enough now that if I want a sweet I can have it, but usually I prefer the *good* foods that I'm already eating. This ended up being a fairly long and complicated journey, but good. And now I am going to master the weightloss part. Since I already know how to eat and how to manage the blood sugar, I feel very sure I can do this.

Please check out my blog (which is new) and feel free to ask specific questions. You can do this! It is sooooooo worth it.
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #9  

Thanks for the advice ladies!! I know I need to lose some weight (would ideally like to lose about 70 lbs..and that would not even make me thin by any means)...I know I need to exercise more, too. THAT is my biggest downfall. My only child is now in college and I don't work , so what the heck is my excuse??????

Quick question: What do you think is the best eating plan to go with? Weight Watchers? Lower Carb? Combination of both?? I find with the WW Flex Plan I justify waaaay too many simple carbs....

Your input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks again

Barb
Old 08-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

My personal opinion is one of the low GI/GL plans that are currently out there. I tend to couple low GI with Volumetrics for a plan that works for me (well, most of the time )

South Beach (not Phase I though because it can be a little too restrictive for those fighting with blood sugar situations that have been diagnosed already) is probably the best known and has an extremely active forum over in Diet Central . . . Sugar Busters was probably the original of the genre. It and a lot of other plans of the same type reside in the Sugar Shakers Forum.

The real secret is to find something that you know you can live with forever and ever and (as the song says) that's a long, long time.

Last edited by meowee; 08-30-2008 at 06:13 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #11  

I'm interested in hearing what my doctor has to say when I see her on Tuesday... I remember looking at the "traditional" diabetic diet back when I had gestational diabetes and thinking that it sure was loaded with carbs. Lower carb has always just made more sense to me...I suppose this would be a good time to put it into action!! Thanks for the heads up for South Beach and Sugar Busters!