South Beach Diet - Thunderous Thursday!

View Full Version : Thunderous Thursday!

femmecreole
08-28-2008, 05:47 AM
Ok, so it's not thundering here, but I couldn't think of anything "cute" to go with Thursday. Too early!

Starting to get a little "nervous" about Gustav. Too many memories flooding back. ack.

Good news is we had a wonderful day at school yesterday. Good behavior all around due to giving out "tickets". I bought a bunch of prizes from small trinkets to pretty good toys. The kids can cash in their tickets on fridays to "purchase" prizes. All the prizes have different values from 1 ticket for a sticker to 300 tickets for a really good toy. They can save their tickets to build up to something really good. They are pretty exited and I handed out over 100 "I was caught "beeing" good" tickets yesterday. (the tickets have a bee on them) They each have a pocket that is attached to the board with magnets. They fill out their name on the ticket and then put it in their pockets. The art teacher even complimented them and me on their wonderful behaviour yesterday along with the lunchroom monitor. yeah!!!! They are great kids, but the talking and commenting on everything I said was making me nuts. Hope this works for the long haul.

Zeff, on the potty training front. Have you tried letting him "shoot" toilet paper? It worked pretty good for my two boys. You tear off one square of toilet paper and put it in the center of the water in the potty. Then make a game of letting him "shoot" the paper and sinking it. My boys loved sinking toilet paper. They are both in their 20's now and I don't think they shoot paper any more, but according to the condition of the toilet they use most often, their aim is still great! My daughter was so easy to train. She and I went shopping together and I bought her some cute eyelet panties and told her that they were big girl panties and we couldn't wet them and that was pretty much that.

I've attached a picture of one of the puppies we are keeping, NOLA De La Roux. The other we are keeping, Eclair De Lune (Clair) is black and tan and tiny. We are nuts for keeping 2, but just could not resist.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

AutumnRose
08-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Nothing exciting here today. I have to run to IKEA to buy some storage for the toy room. The challenge will be putting it together or shall I wait for DH to do it after work? I'd rather get it done myself so that when he comes home the toy room (technically our formal living room lol) is organized but I don't want to frustrate myself putting together so many shelves.
Right now we just have bins and the kids pick up just fine, but can't find what they want when they want it. Everything needs it's own designated space so it can be located easily. Less frustration for them, and selfishly less frustration for me too.

Cat....Keeping an eye Gustav with you in mind.... and great idea with the tickets! I know my kids would be motivated by that!

cottagebythesea
08-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Good morning! :coffee: The coffeemaker is working just fine now, Jake claims I didn't have the pot lined up just right. :o

Cat, thanks for getting us started today. :) I would be a nervous wreck if I lived down there! I did just hear the latest report that Gustav is taking a southwest turn, so I'm hoping it misses you all. It sounds like you've created a fun way to keep your students in line! Girls seem to be easier to train than little boys. I never tried your shooting paper trick, but the buying pretty new big girl panties for girls always worked like a charm for me, too. :)

I'm just getting a few last minute things done before I finish packing my bag. Caite's stuff is taking up so much room in my car, that Monica and I have to really conserve what we're taking. My poor car is going to be loaded to the limits with a roof-top carrier and a bike rack. It will be interesting to see the difference in gas mileage going up with a full car, and coming back home with a practically empty one. ;) I'm going to head on over to Monica's after the morning rush-hour traffic is over.

Loriann, how are you doing this morning?

mandyleigh
08-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Good Morning all...in a hurry this morning as I completely forgot to set my alarm....hope everyone has a great day!!

Getting really nervous about GUstav now....have never evacuated before...but now have plans to leave.

Cat...did you hear that Kevin Davis will order a mandatory evac for 100% of St. Tammany parish?? I'm originally from Folsom and that's where I was for K....unbelievable.

Have a Fabulous Thursday everyone!

Ruthxxx
08-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Quick pass through but am really worrying about the chickies in the South. Take no chances, OK?

It's garbage to the road day here so I'm going to glug the rest of my coffee and lug it out. Should call it Glug & Lug Day!

Haven't checked my calendar but it's Donna day and one meeting tonight so should be a good one. I hope to get some baking done for the weekend when I am once again invaded by the Hyper Pypers and my grand-dog.

See y'all later.

TwynnB
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
wow --- I'm on early!

All you southern chickies - we'll be thinkin' of you!

Cat - my son would sure LOVE the ticket thing.

Me - work as usual. I get to go in an hour late, which is great since we went to the county fair last night (of course, both kids are up already, so it's not like they're sleeping in!). DS's meet-n-greet is at school today, so that will be my lunch break. He's having a countdown to kindergarten!

Have a good one!

Belle Mer
08-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Good Morning,

No time to chat, puppy is a little under the weather. (nothing serious, just a tummy ache.)

I'm keeping all you Louisiana Ladies in my thoughts and prayers.

Have a great day, all.

Pearlrose
08-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Good morning Chickies

My thoughts and prayers are with the South Chickies, My mom and Dad live in Gulfport so I will definitely be paying attention to the weather channel.

Have a great day

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
shuffles in, exhausted, sleep still in eyes, not wanting to be out of bed yet to say hi to all.

So I'm frustrated, at myself, at my doctor, and at the ER. At myself for going in, at my DR for insisting I go to ER. The DR cost 93. The ER because God knows how much I'll have to pay just for them to tell me "We don't know whats wrong." Sure, they ruled out Appendicitis, but they couldn't tell me if it is a cyst, or if it is a gallstone, or why I'm STILL in pain this morning. Walking into the ER alone is expensive, but the CT scan, the BP 4 times, the nasty stuff they made me drink... and the various nurses/dr.s that walked into the room just to ask "how are you" with no updates as to the condition, will no doubt cost a bundle. Being unemployed, uninsured, I should of stayed home!

I guess it was a relief to have ruled out the Appendix.

Sorry to vent like this all. I appreciate all your concerns. I think the pain, the lack of sleep, both have me irritated right now, with the idea that I can't pay bills as it is, and I just foolishly created a monster!

weezle
08-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Lori, I did that back in March!!!!! Had horrible pains, called the doc, they said GO TO THE ER RIGHT NOW!!!!! Of course, as soon as I got there, the pain subsided. They did all the bloodwork and gave me the IV and made me pee in a cup, then when that all came back fine, I drank the 2 cups of "tang" (oh good Lord, and the anti-pukey meds they put in my IV so I could choke down the last 1/4 of it were $1000 alone,) then the CT (did you feel like you were wetting yourself on the table too?) and all they noticed on the CT was that I had a lot of fluid in my pelvis, so I had to have a pelvic exam to top it all off. They determined I had a good-sized ovarian cyst that ruptured as soon as I got to the ER, thus why the pain subsided. Hopefully someone will have some information for you today and it's nothing serious. Keep us posted.

Louisiana chicks, please stay safe!!!!

I just have to get through today now, then V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!!!! I am so excited to not have to work for 10 whole days! I'm ready to curl up on the couch and go to sleep. Tomorrow we're driving down south, pulling Little Guy out of school at noon so we can get down there before dark. In the morning, I promised to help my mom move one last piece of furniture from Grandma's into the back of her Blazer so she can get it home. We didn't have room in the U-Haul.

And my Doubleday books haven't come yet!!!! What the heck??? I mailed the thing in on the 9th.... hopefully they come before my vacation is over or I'm going to be really bored.

Well, time to start getting ready. Hope everyone has a good day!

Lisa

GONNABE165
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Good morning! I over slept this morning which put everything behind and I sure hate that.

Those of you in the storms way I have been praying for you and will continue to. I made the comment to dh it would be nice if the storm would just disappear so we said a prayer asjing for just that.

Have a great day everyone!

Pearlrose
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Lori sending prayers you way that they figure what is going on quickly. :hug:

JellyBean32882
08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, nothin new goin on with me, except my computer being problematic again, but I fixed it once again. My computer has been through alot of problems and still runs like a beauty, LOL

So I stayed up all night and haven't slept yet just fixing the computer, and now most of all I feel pukey for some reason and keep sippin my sugar free cream soda and it's helping some.

Still waiting for that call from the Manager of Goodwill, somehow I get this feeling that he won't call which means I will just have to bug his little *** so I know if I'm hired or not, it's agony not knowing.

My father is supposidly going to Wassaic, NY today to get rid of copper, metal, aluminum, and brass for money. I may go with him haven't decided yet.. If I want a plate of spaghetti with meatballs I'd go but I'd feel guilty eating that.

beachgal
08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Cat, love the shooting toilet paper idea! Can't believe you are old enough to be a mom of grown-ups...you seem like you're in your 30s! My sisters' favorite teacher was one that had that kind of prize system in their class. It works SO well! Your puppy is adorable...love the names!

Autumn, I envy you your IKEA. I love putting things together, but understand the frustration.

Have fun in ME, Cottage! Jake probably moved the pot and doesn't want to take the blame. :rolleyes: Boys!

:hug: and prayers for safety, Mandy. Stay safe, okay?

Hope you rest up for the weekend, Ruth!

Have fun at the meet n' greet, Twynn!

:wave: Belle and Pearl!

Sorry about the mess, Loriann. Do you have Medicaid? I bet if it had been the appendix, you'd be very glad you'd gone in. :hug: Glad it's not...hope you feel better soon!

Yay for vacation, Weezle! :hat:

Me:
Wow, work was SO busy yesterday! I'm praying today is quieter. :crossed: I have gym tonight and then a quick shower/walk with dog/dinner of leftovers before I head to the movies with a friend. We're going to go see the second Pants movie. We both loved the books, so it should be fun! :D

Hope everyone has a safe day. We'll be thinking of you, Southern chickies!!! :grouphug:

beachgal
08-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Avoid the spaghetti and go for the company alone...or stay home and catch up on sleep, Jelly! :hug:

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Cat - the sinking sounds fun, but I think that might be the next step for him...he hates being wet/dirty and hates it even worse if he goes in his big boy underwear....but as soon as we get on the potty, he gets stubborn. He went 4 hours yesterday with nothing....2 minutes after he got up - poo and pee right on the floor. Oh my. He just looked at me and smiled, then told me he kept his underwear clean....not quite what I was looking for, champ.

I wish boys were as easy as girls!

Cute puppy!!

Have you made any alternative plans for Gustav yet?

Autumn - my rule with anything from Ikea is to let DH take care of it. Too many pieces. I always end up crying in the middle of the pieces on the floor.

Cottage - have a safe trip!

Mandy - where are you evacuating to?

Ruth, Twynn, Belle - have a grea day!

Lori - would a medicaid program be an option for you? Being unemployed, it shouldn't be tough to qualify and they typically cover costs from up to 3 months back. It might help in your situation.

Weezle - Have a fun last day of work.

--

Me: I was supposed to have a OB appt. this morning but received a call at 7 a.m. to cancel.....so much for 24 hours notice. I should bill them for having to wake up a half hour early. Today is more potty training....I'm hoping he has a handle on it by this weekend, or we're going to be potty training in the dark with no "bo-bo"(cartoons)....and I don't even want to deal with that.

We're supposed to go visit a friend and her new baby tonight, but I still have a cough from my cold and I don't think it is the best idea.

Still preparing for the hurricane. We have a place to stay further north, but the people that own it aren't going to be home - it will be awkward if we have to stay there.

Man, I am so ready for this week to be over...

Pacergal29
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow there are alot of new posts out there, I will never catch up!

Many thoughts and prayers for all of you in the path of the storm. I can't even begin to imagine the stress involved.

Loriann Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Cottage I'm sure your on the road already but be safe anyway.

Me Looks like I hit my bonus for the month, the last 2 loans are closing tomorrow (nothing like waiting til the last day) and I have to make $2500 combined to do it. If I can't make $2500 on 2 loans not only do I not deserve the bonus but need to be fired, ok maybe not fired because somethings are just out of my control, hence not spending that bonus yet!

Hope you all have a great day, off to read some other posts and see if I have any great words of wisdom to offer, HA!

Kim_Star060404
Hey everyone! Quick check-in for me as DH and I were hoping to have left by now! I'm eating breakfast and still in PJs! I don't know what my internet situation will be, so I'll wish you all a safe and beachy Labor day now!

Adios!

Loriann7
They say I make too much on unemployment!

CyndiM
08-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Good morning chicks :coffee2:

It's a work at home day because I have a 3 hour conference call. No point in driving in after that. Tomorrow is my regular work at home day and it turns out the boss is closing the office at noon. That will make a nice stretch away (I know, I'm just back from vacation).

Cat, Mandy & Zeff - Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you. I hope the storm fizzles out long before it's near you. Be safe gals

LoriAnn - How frustrating! I'm so sorry you're still in pain and no closer to answers after all that :( Hope today is a huge improvement Sweetie :hug:

Cottage - Hope the drive is smooth and the transition is a good experience for all of you. Say hi to Maine for me (and eat a lobster)!

Ruth - happy baking!

Twynn - Happy Kindergarten visit

Weezle - Enjoy your vacation :)

Autumn, Belle, Pearl, GonnaBe, & Jellybean - :wave:

Heather - I haven't said much about the job thing - got some paranoia going too :) It's just really stressful right now.

Okay, off to my call. Have a good day all!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 09:23 AM
They say I make too much on unemployment!

ugh.

Some hospitals offer a sort of private medicaid thing. I used it when I was 18, not covered under my parents insurance and was in a hit and run car accident. I medical bills up the wazoo and wasn't eligible for medicaid.

I think you need a written letter of denial from Medicaid and then you have to apply to the hospital. Back when I used it, they would cover a certain portion based on how you qualified. I think now they cover 100% if you qualify.

Can't hurt to try. I would call the hospitals financial office.

CyndiM
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Lots of simul-posting going on!

:wave: Laurie & Pacer

Kim - Have a great weekend

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Zeff, They did give me a sliding scale application which I'm going to try to fill out today.

In the meantime, Ineed to figure out what to eat. I am not hungry, but I haven't eaten since 12:30 yesterday. Eggs just do not sound appetizing this am. Maybe oatmeal, would that be too harsh?

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Zeff... Just seen your cute thing of your boy... I did something similar as the previous post ... I put a square of toilet paper in the toilet and told him to "put out the fire!" I even got him a firemans hat for use in the bathroom, and after he'd gone in there he was allowed to wear the hat for ten mins, then it went back on the toilet, his reward for going in the potty and not in his pants. And each time he went in the potty without an incident in his pants, or on the floor, I increased the alotted play time with the hat! After a week I included a "fire hose" as the prize package!

ladybugnessa
08-28-2008, 09:35 AM
did not read the posts.. already at a busy day at work (what else is new??)

joined WW last night... counting my beachy food points... interesting... very interesting...

going off to see other posts and see where i can help out!

Schmoodle
08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Hello chicks, I've been going since 6, but just getting a quiet moment to read through the dailies. Today is gray and drizzly, but we have been very dry so the rain is welcome. I've got the tech coming for the furnace tuneup sometime today and Back-to-School night for DD2 this evening, otherwise should be a quiet work day.

My DD1 was like yours Cat, we bought the pretty underwear, she wanted to wear it, I said only if you use the potty, she said okay, done. Never an accident. After that I also thought that girls were easier than boys, and that the mistake most people made was to rush things, easier to wait until they are ready. Then DS and DD2 came along. God, it went on for years with them, DS did that withholding thing, accidents for ages, bedwetting, what a nightmare. DS still has aiming issues at 11YO, especially when he gets up in the night, half asleep, may have to try the target thing with him!

Loriann, glad it wasn't appendicitis, my brother just went through that last week. I hope they do figure it out soon though, what it doctor's next step?

Wait, Nessa, I thought you were going with calorie counting, what's up with WW? Are you going to combine SB and points like weezle?

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 09:45 AM
OH, to top off a bad night, on my way to ER a kitty ran in front of me, happened so fast I didn't see it coming, and I hit it. I stopped, pulled it out of the road. Poor thing was only a couple months old at tops! Cutest kitty, clean (someone's pet). I still see it's face.

Schmoodle, I'm going to wait it out for a few days. I can't afford another DR visit for them to tell me they don't know!

ETA: I just got a call for an interview Next Wed. for a CPA firm.

rdw1
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Wow- you guys have lots of personals going on here... kinda overwhelming for a newbie like myself! Also, I am terrible at names so give me a while to learn who everyone is!!!

I just wanted to say I will be thinking of all the chickies in the south and to be safe!

Love the tp idea! so cute! and the idea with the tickets for good behaviour!

Loriann- glad you're not suffering from appendicitis, but hope you find out soon what is wrong!

We have been soooooooooo slow at work. I didn't feel 100% yesterday and the called me off (which was good) I called and said if they needed someone to call off today that I could take a sick day. There is so much stuff to be done still for the wedding that I am ok with that- I am not making money I should be spending it , right? lol. oh my I don't want to think about it!

Wedding is creeping up on me!!! only a month away, well, less than a month! yikes!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Schmoo - how old were yours when you started training? Especially DS.

DS will be 27 months, and shows a lot of interest in going to the potty, big boy underwear, telling us that he "poo-t" and he hates being ditry/wet, he has a pretty set schedule of bm's as well.

Whatcha think? Ready?

hmacneil6
08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Good morning all! Happy Thursday!

Cat - Ah the joys of positive reinforcement. Working in the Special Ed/Behavior Management field for as long as I have has given me a whole list of "tricks of the trade" to help manage the classroom. Tickets are always a great incentive. Let me know if you ever need some ideas. Praying for safety for you and the other NO/Southern gals!!!

Autumn - IKEA is so much fun! I hope you find what you're looking for and don't over purchase (like I have a tendency to do. And go for putting it together yourself. I always have to do the assembling in my house.....dh was not raised to be the "handy man".

Cottage - Glad to hear that the coffee pot was something simple. When I was in college I always felt like a migrating bird......Up to college....home for break....up for college....home for summer. I was always amazed at how much stuff I would accumulate during the time I was in school. Have fun taking your GD up!

Mandy - I hope things will be ok for you and those who might be in Gustav's way. Whatever you do....be safe!!!

Ruth - Enjoy your day, as it sounds like it'll be a quiet one for you!!!

Twynnb - Have fun meeting the teacher today. That's got to be quite the experience!

Belle - Hope the pup is feeling better!

Pearlrose - :wave:

Loriann - Sorry to hear that things continue to go haywire for you. I hope the silver lining shows itself soon! :hug:

Weezle - VACATION!!!! You're almost there! I hope the books for you come in soon!

Gonnabe - You're prayers are so spot on. I hope you're still able to go on your vacation.

Jellybean - Keep working on yourself. Stay home, get some sleep, and try to eat some healthy things. I hope the job comes in soon!

Beachgal - Sounds like you've got quite the busy day ahead of you. Enjoy the movie. I, too, loved the books!

Zeff - Have you tried the cheerios-target practice idea? Use cheerios as targets for your boy to hit. Kind of similar to the t.p. idea, but a little more accurate. Good luck. I hope he figures it out soon!

Stephanie - Good job getting the bonus this month. I know you were working really hard to get it!!! Way to go!

Kim - Get out of here!!! Go have fun on your vacation!

Cyndi - Ok....glad to hear that for right now it's all rumor and hearsay. I hope none of it is true. From what I can tell, you really like your job so I hope that things turn out to go in your favor.

Nessa - I also thought you were just going to count calories. I hope the WW/SBD combo works for you!!!

Schmoodle - Sounds like you're in a better mood today. I hope your quiet day at work helps to keep the heart happy!!!

rdw1 - Welcome!!! I don't think we've "met"! Thanks for joining the chat! I hope you're feeling better today. Good luck with the wedding planning!!!

Me - WOW there were ALOT of posts today!!! I did really well yesterday being back on Phase 1. It felt so go to eat veggies....I actually missed them! Had a great breakfast this morning and I'm ready to start the day. We've got a lot going on for Labor Day weekend which will be lots of fun. We've actually got 3 different BBQs to go to (2 at friends, and one here). I figure that as long as we've got meat and a green salad I'll be fine. I've got a lot of house cleaning to do to get ready for our little party on Saturday. I think I"m actually going to get to the store today and pick up some herbs. I've been threatening to do it for a while now....I finally think I have time.
Only 1 more day of vacation and I'm cleaning and such.....I don't think I planned very well :shrug: Oh well!!!
Have a fantastic day!!!
ENJOY!!!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 11:08 AM
hmac - I like the cheerio and tp idea, but standing to pee is a bit advanced for him right now....he's still working on "telling mama when I have to pee" bit.

uscarchie
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Zeff, I definately thing your boy is ready for potty training, although I speak from no experience whatsoever....

Lori, I want a fireman's hat for going to the potty now! Although trying to explain to my husband why I'm wearing a hat to go to the restroom....

Why do all the fun things in life make us look funny?

Schmoodle
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I do wear a fireman's hat when I go potty. Is that wrong?

Zeff, my boy was about 2 and a half to 3, I think, when I started pushing it, but he was not a normal case. Let's just say, he had issues. It does sound like you can start working on it, but I wouldn't push if he gets resistant. Once they decide it's not something they want to do, you've got all kinds of problems.

hmac, you deserve an award for all those personals! Usually when it gets that long, I just leave it. It's good to have you back, did you notice we let the dinner thread lapse?

CyndiM
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I was looking for that dinner thread last night (of course I was too lazy to start one :o).

Yes, I've been reading and posting the entire time I've been on the meeting conference call. 3 hours is too long and DULL! Good thing you are all here to keep me entertained!

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
LOL... it hurts too laugh! Schmoodle and UserArchie, you two are too funny! I can just picture you both now, full grown women, on the pot in a firemans hat...hhhmmm, not a pleasant pic! :)

Barb0522
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I remember the baby store sold little flushable targets when Brian was that age. I think we used them once but cheerios would be cheaper. I credit day care with potty training him.

Robert got off the ventilator yesterday. I've heard he is still groggy. They're doing a systogram today. I hope he doesn't have kidney damage but I'm sure they want to be sure. I'll take Brian up there today if he stays stable.

Thin4Good
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Zeff- he sounds ready to me. With DS we did not even approach peeing standing up until after he was well potty trained. He just knew he had to go at first but he wasn't sure where it was coming from! DD is driving me nuts with the potty training (18 mos) but she is the one that started this. I am all for waiting a bit!

I would really be clueless about the weather if I didn't come here. I don't pay much attention on my own. Since all the discussion about Gustav I have been watching TWC and now there are 2 to worry about. :(

hmacneil6
08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I went looking for the dinner thread last night and realized that it wasn't there. I'll definately be sure to get that started next week, but maybe not until Tuesday, as most will be taking Monday off.

Zeff - You're right.....not quite sure when the whole standing and peeing thing is supposed to start. I hope things are going better so far today!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Believe me.....nothing in the world would be cuter than my DH and DS standing and peeing together....but I just would like them both to pee in their respective potties.

We did have a successful pee in the potty this morning (from both DH AND DS!!!). DS picked his potty up, emptied it in the big toilet, flushed and then threw the potty in the sink for me to clean (gee, thanks)...he then went right to the m&m container and helped himself to one. Oh, he knows what he is supposed to do....he just won't do it!!

I waited as long as I could to put him down for a nap, still no BM at that point....woke up 2 hours later with a BM and a pee in his pullup.

aww, geez. I should really give the kid a little bell - he knows he needs to sit on the potty so all I hear all day is "MOOOOOMMMMMAAAAA, MEEEEEEERRRREEE!" and then he proceeds to ask for whatever it is that he needs. Just now it was applesauce and water.

I can't wait for the weekend..DH will be home and can deal with this.

edit: 2 successful pees!

JellyBean32882
08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Avoid the spaghetti and go for the company alone...or stay home and catch up on sleep, Jelly! :hug:

haha, that's exactly what i did.. fell asleep never got to go.. oh well

Fat Melanie
08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone, I'm not in the mood to read everything and write personals today, so I skimmed, but I will say this: hope everyone that may be in the path of Gustav is okay!

I had an antipasto salad for lunch and I'm full. It had two slices of salami on it which I think are no-nos, but I ate it anyway. Plus the black olives on it AND the ranch dressing I had, but I'm not making too huge of a deal about it. Eating the black olive fat combined with the ranch dressing fat is no where near as bad as getting the NY cheesecake, which I didn't, or eating the personal size loaf of fresh bread that came with the salad (I didn't). And let me tell you, that bread smelled divine.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Zeff - my son was stubborn with potty training! I tried so many times before I finally did it. He was 30 months. I used to give him a water bottle filled with water, sit him on his potty chair in front of a favorite cartoon (naked of course), and make him just drink and drink to feel the sensation of going. Then after a day of that, moved the potty in the bathroom, kept up with the water bottle and used rewards for sitting there, going #1, going #2, etc. After we mastered one task, I would make it harder to get the reward. I had chart hanging on the door and he would get a sticker as a reward. BM's were bigger rewards. He LOVED matchbox cars, so in the beginning, I would have a few on hand and he could earn those. I eventually made it harder to earn them, but in the beginning he needed all the praise he could get!! Someone told me that the rewards worked well. They said, we don't work for free, our "reward" is our paycheck! Kids are the same way. Worked for my son anyway!! GOOD LUCK!!

Jenny

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Some podcasts concerning Splenda and other art. sweeteners. Take it for what its worth.

http://thecravingscoach.com/blog/are-artificial-sweeteners-bad-for-you-3-podcasts/

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Zeff - my son was stubborn with potty training! I tried so many times before I finally did it. He was 30 months. I used to give him a water bottle filled with water, sit him on his potty chair in front of a favorite cartoon (naked of course), and make him just drink and drink to feel the sensation of going. Then after a day of that, moved the potty in the bathroom, kept up with the water bottle and used rewards for sitting there, going #1, going #2, etc. After we mastered one task, I would make it harder to get the reward. I had chart hanging on the door and he would get a sticker as a reward. BM's were bigger rewards. He LOVED matchbox cars, so in the beginning, I would have a few on hand and he could earn those. I eventually made it harder to earn them, but in the beginning he needed all the praise he could get!! Someone told me that the rewards worked well. They said, we don't work for free, our "reward" is our paycheck! Kids are the same way. Worked for my son anyway!! GOOD LUCK!!

Jenny

We're in the process of sitting on the potty in front of cartoons with a cup 'o' water. Seems to be getting the job done, although he thinks that if he comes and tells me that he pooped....he can get an m&m.....wrong, mister. I have appreciate his trying though. :)

Question, I was thinking of doing one more day of this before moving the potty back to the bathroom. What did you do to get him to stay on the potty in the bathroom? How long did he sit? How often did you take him?

Fat Melanie
08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm not looking forward to my little one getting old enough to be potty trained. As it is, I dread for when he starts crawling! He blatantly has his daddy's energy, I have never seen an infant move around so much as he does without actually going anywhere yet. A lot of people find it impossible to hold him because he slams his body back and forth almost spastically and is all over the place while sitting in one spot... he's so adorable. :D

But I imagine he'll be quite the handful when he starts crawling. The kittens are bad enough, god knows. They're like a roomful of kids with ADHD who didn't take their meds. (no, not insulting kids with ADHD, my cousin had/has it, so I've seen the worst of the worst of how it can get.)

Anyway, good luck with the potty training Jenskihere & Zeffryn! Got the cameras ready?

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
in response to your questions:
Question, I was thinking of doing one more day of this before moving the potty back to the bathroom. What did you do to get him to stay on the potty in the bathroom?
I used to stay in there with him. I would sit on the floor, we would read a book, I would tell him a story, we would sing a silly song, whatever worked at the moment! I filled the mag rack with books for him so we had things to pick from. Dad does it, why shouldn't he, right? :-)

How long did he sit? He would sit for a while, especially for a BM! We could be in there 20+ minutes. Of course, once he was getting the hang of it, it seemed to go a little quicker.

How often did you take him? I used to set the timer on the microwave, every 15 minutes or so in the beginning, especially when he was walking around with that water bottle!!

And once you are hard core, I would do away with pull ups, except at nap time or bed time. For my kids, pull ups were just more expensive diapers. I didn't see progress until I did away with them completely. (Nightime training took a lot longer, so we used them only at night).

I potty trained my DD over the summer, took this ame approach. We did it over 4th of July weekend, in 4 days she was potty trained, with only an occasional accident. She was a little older though, 36 months. She wanted nothing to do with it, and if it wasn't for preschool, I probably wouldn't have forced her, although it was well over due!!

Sounds like you are off to a good start!! Keep it up!

Jenny

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Jenny - thanks for the advice. He is only wearing pullups during naps and at night. He really enjoys wearing his big boy underwear, but I think he might confuse them for diapers....so I've been avoiding letting him wear them. It seems like when he isn't wearing anything, he can go a few hours without peeing.

He wanted to put some big boy unders on this afternoon, so I let him pick a pair....not 10 minutes later he peed in them. No more big boy unders for awhile, I guess.

I do feel like a horrible mom for putting him in front of cartoons for the entire day....

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Question on sugar in my coffee... I can't give it up! I have tried Splenda... having a HARD time with it!
How bad is sugar in my coffee?? I know I need to give it up, but convince me. How bad is it?? :-(
Jenny

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
If you need to have sugar in your coffee...could you use a less refined version? Turbinado, for example?

Personally, I really like stevia in my coffee if I have to sweeten it.

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Zeff: big boy under pants can be used as a reward, next time he tells you "potty" reward him, allow him to use big boy undies.... tell him if he goes in them, he'll have to be in baby undies till next day! :)

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I think diapers would be a reward for him actually ;) He asked me for some a few minutes ago....I think he needs to go poo. I told him that we didn't have anymore diapers. Then he asked if the store had any (smart kid!) and I told him that they did, but that they wouldn't allow me to buy any anymore because they heard that DS was a big boy now and they don't sell diapers to big boys. A lot of explanation and I think he listened to half of it....at least it got his mind off of it.

He's happily munching on cheerios - which makes him thirsty! - and watching cartoons. These past days have been the quietest days I can remember.

Ruthxxx
08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Good potty training stuff in here. I wish I'd known it 42 years ago. Let me know if you want these posts pulled out into a Potty Thread.
I'm serious!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
How to potty, South Beach style?

Now that is something I could get into. :lol:

Schmoodle
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Jenski, how about agave nectar or stevia if you really need to have something?
How bad is it? That depends on you and how much you are using, what you are having with it. Are you craving things?

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm really craving coffee....a small cup won't hurt, right?

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I WANT MY LITTLE BOY BACK? Where did the past 19 years go (he'll be 19 on OCT 10th)

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh no. poop on the floor.

this kid is a ninja pooper.

TwynnB
08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
FYI - zeff - my DS didn't potty train til close to 4 years old. I think it was because everyone else did it. Then he trained like a champ. DD did around 2 1/2. We didn't push it with him, since we had another in diapers, and we really didn't care (they're 21 mos apart).

Good luck!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I just found out that putting him on the potty with the pretense of "let's go sit on the potty - because when you pee on the potty, you get an m&m" really works. The kids loves to try and "win" m&m's. Nothing like spoiling the boy's appetite in the name of potty training.

Since he's been sitting on the potty all day, he's desperate to get up and play. We set the egg timer together for 15 minutes and let him play for that time, after the timer goes off, we try on the potty again for 15 minutes. Back and forth.

No pee on the floor yet. Thankfully.

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
A slow motion blow by blow from Zeff on potty training! :rofl:

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
believe me, honey.....you don't want to know the other things that I feel like giving a PbP on. ;) Pregnancy is not a pretty thing.

Loriann7
08-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Zeff... being a mother, I remember some of the pregnancy, and the potty training! I've been enjoying it, reminiscing of sorts!

Thin4Good
08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
lol @ the ninja pooper. Chloe did that today in her panties. - Why?? I guess i got spoiled by it taking her a while to go so I had plenty of warning!

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 09:10 PM
OK, sugar in my coffee... it isn't that much I guess. In a coffe mug (which is probably 2 cups of coffee right?) I use probably 1T of sugar and 2T cream.
I love Dunkin Doughnuts coffee. (Yes, I can go there and only get coffee, I am not a fan of the doughnuts!) I used to get a med coffee almost everyday. Now I get a small. I'm guessing they use about 1T as well?

If I plan it right and drink my coffee AFTER my breakfast, I don't crave anything. If I drink it on an empty stomach, then yes, I do find I have a cravings for carbish breakfasts. But typically I eat my breakfast, take DS to school and get my coffee after that.

I'll give the Stevia a try. I have heard of that in the past and it is supposed to be as sweet as sugar, right? I think it is the aftertaste I am not liking about the artifical sweeteners.

Thanks for the tips!

Fat Melanie
08-28-2008, 09:29 PM
It's way sweeter than sugar.

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Jenski - stevia doesn't have that odd aftertaste...especially after being heated. I've found that if I bake with or put art. sweeteners in hot things they take on a weird flavor. Just use a TEENSY bit of stevia....a little goes a long, long way. A T. would be like putting a cup of sugar in your coffee.

--

I'm such a moron. I turned the burner on for my teapot and accidentally turned the wrong burner on....instead I turned the burner that had the tupperware container full of leftovers in it. 5 minutes later, I'm wondering why my tea hasn't whistled and what that gross smell is....plastic melted everywhere. That was my favorite tupperware too!

I should try to get a sponsorship with Jello - lord knows my brain is mostly that these days.

oooh, I hear the teapot whistling. Time to settle in with a good cup of tea, the DNC and a book. Have a nice night, ladies!

Thin4Good
08-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I am SO glad I brought a SBD wrap and strawberries to the open house at DS's school. The strawberries I brought were the ONLY healthy thing there. I'm glad I got ours out first b/c the rest quickly disappeared! I have to say- I was not the least bit tempted by any of it. I found the smell of the cupcakes sickening - and as for the hot dogs, BLECH! I felt bad that DS ate one. :(