Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #1  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Default Why do I do this?

So, my hubby is deployed, all 3 of my kiddos are in school now, and I have all the gear I need to lose weight, and the time, finally, to do it. Why do I keep sabotaging myself? My eating is not out of control, it could be better, but I'm working on it, and I'm gradually losing a bit, but I know I'm not doing what I should. How do I make this connection between knowing what I need to do, and actually getting my rear in gear? I've been having sleeping issues since hubby left this time (our first deployment in almost 5 years), and all I really want to do when I come home from taking the kids to school is crawl up in my bed and sleep all day. AArrgh. Why? I then get mad at myself for not doing anything.

Sorry for the rant.. I just needed to vent.. I moved here to be near my parents, and then they moved away, the friends that I still have living here have been living here since high school and all have their own crowds and stuff... I just feel lonely and isolated, and now that the kiddos are in school, I don't know what to do.. I know I want and need to get fit.. but then my brain veers off to the comforts of just going back to bed since I didn't sleep well the night before.

Dee
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #2  

You are dealing with stress the same way I deal with stress -- "self medicating"

Do you have a part-time job or want one? Good place to meet people. I have been home for 9 years with my two boys, the youngest starts school next week. I live about 3 1/2 hours from my family and now, 12 years since I moved here, I'm finally starting to get some friends (actually mom's of my son's friends but they will do ). Is there somewhere you would want to volunteer (maybe at the kid's school??) or some group you would like to join? I think you need to get yourself out there and make some friends. Any other woman who's husbands are deployed looking for a little company?? Even a playdate for your kids after school will bring a nice mom over to pick the kid up and maybe a little conversation??
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Nobody decides what you "should" be doing except you. If you are making changes and losing slowly, maybe that's what's right for you right now. You have a lot to deal with, and you need to be taking care of yourself in every way. Wish I could do more to help out than just advise, but here is a virtual hug for you. My DH is overseas for 4 months, it's tough. Keep your chin up. Are there any support organizations around you? I think volunteering is a great idea.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Dee,

Sounds like your whole world has shifted and that must be incredibly overwhelming. I understand. Last year, we moved from Florida to Georgia where we have no family or friends. It's been tough...a whole lot tougher than I remember as a child. Hubby and I also work from home, so meeting people requires an extra effort on my part. Have you checked out the online site, Meeting Place, to see if there are any groups with mutual interests that meet in your area? Maybe you can find a walking group. I seem to remember that you had taken up running. Are you still following your running program? I'm sure the school would have plenty of volunteer opportunities for you which would offer you a chance to get out and around people.

For some of us, weight loss and overeating is very much an emotional issue. I battle emotional eating on a daily basis. Also, lack of sleep can cause us to crave the starchy carbs in efforts to aid our flagging energy levels. Add the lack of adequate rest with your missing your husband and feeling lonely and it's truly understandable that you are feeling a bit down. Maybe you can concentrate on doing something for yourself each day and making little changes and not focus too much right now on the big picture. It will all come together again for you if you keep trying. Don't give up. You deserve this!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Do you have written goals and a plan?
Someone said, and I wish I could remember who, a plan is just an idea until it's written down.

You know what you need to do, is it concrete and on your computer or real paper? If not, do this and give yourself a written action plan of how you are going to succeed.

Also, try branching out with a new hobby. Then you can meet some new people. Or maybe, start a little group at a local coffee house for people just like you, so you can get together once a week or so and chat.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #6  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the advice and support... Today I just made a goal of not going back to bed after I took the kiddos to school. And I'm down 2 more lbs... so something must be working, regardless of the lack of exercise. I did exercise a bit today just to keep from going back to bed... and of course I feel better, lol. I always know I'll feel better once I exercise, but somehow I seem to avoid it. I walked the dog for a mile. Now she's mad at me, cuz she's as lazy as I am. I think I'm going to go take a shower and do some laundry. Thanks for the ideas/advice/support again!

Dee
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote