100 lb. Club - Excuse me...

View Full Version : Excuse me...

Sandi
08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok, I know I am a big girl and I take up a lot of room. But if one more person says excuse me when they pass me in a store, I might scream. Why? Because they say it, even when they have PLENTY of room.

Is this happening to anyone else??

PhotoChick
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I gotta say that it seems like you're being massively oversensitive here.

I say "excuse me" when I walk past someone in the store even when I have plenty of room for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I say it because they're looking at something on a shelf and I'm walking between them and the shelf. Sometimes I say it because I wasn't paying attention and almost bumped into them. Sometimes I say it because it looks like they're about to move and I want to avoid a collision - sort of a "hey I'm here" announcement. Sometimes I say it just because it's habit.

Don't take things so personally. I'd bet 99% of the time it has nothign to do with YOU or your size.

FreeSpirit
08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I say "excuse me" when I walk past someone in the store even when I have plenty of room for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I say it because they're looking at something on a shelf and I'm walking between them and the shelf. Sometimes I say it because I wasn't paying attention and almost bumped into them. Sometimes I say it because it looks like they're about to move and I want to avoid a collision - sort of a "hey I'm here" announcement. Sometimes I say it just because it's habit.

Exactly. I always say it when I walk past someone, whether they're 500 lbs or 120.

mandalinn82
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I say "Excuse Me" all the time, too. Pretty much any time I pass someone within I don't know, several feet or so. Or if I think I might be blocking that person from seeing the shelf they are looking at. Or, basically, if I think that person is in any way affected by or even made aware of my presence. I just throw it out so no one thinks of me as rude :-)

jenjen
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I say "excuse me" quite a bit in the grocery store. For me, I was taught that it was curtious to say it when you were walking between someone at the items they were looking at.

With the grocery store isles closing in around me, I find that people stand in the middle of the isle next to their cart oblivious to the world around them (I'm just as guilty as the rest of them!) and I have to say "excuse me" to get down the isle or turn my cart around & go in the other direction.

It has nothing to do with the size of the person.

Glory87
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I say excuse me all the time too, has nothing to do with anyone's size - for exactly the same reason others posted above. It's just polite when you're passing between someone and what they are looking at or to let someone know you're near them so they don't randomly change directions and bump me or various other reasons.

I'm afraid if I avoid saying "excuse me" to a larger woman, she'll go post on a board that thin people "just don't even speak to fat women, she walked right past me without even an "excuse me!""

PhotoChick
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm afraid if I avoid saying "excuse me" to a larger woman, she'll go post on a board that thin people "just don't even speak to fat women, she walked right past me without even an "excuse me!""Can't win for losing, can we!? ;)

Sandi
08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm afraid if I avoid saying "excuse me" to a larger woman, she'll go post on a board that thin people "just don't even speak to fat women, she walked right past me without even an "excuse me!""

:lol:

Point taken. ;)

carinna
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I gotta say that it seems like you're being massively oversensitive here.

Don't take things so personally. I'd bet 99% of the time it has nothign to do with YOU or your size.

I think I could just quote photochick's responses in every post on this site, because she always seems to say whatever I'm thinking. :)

PhotoChick
08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Oooh Carina. That's scary that we share a brain! :D

Smiling_Sara
08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I usually say it whenever I'm about to cross someone. Even if there is plenty of room. 1. So they know I"m there and don't back up or move forward, etc. and 2. I don't want there to be akwardness when I think I have enough time and someone backs up or move forward just as I'm crossing paths with them...

Redheaded I am
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I say it all the time as well. And, like the others, I do it when I enter someone's personal space, or as a "hello, I'm here" type of thing. I especially say it when DS and I are in a store and he's pushing the cart. I tell ya, a 10-year old boy wielding a shopping cart can be a scary thing!! Although, to his credit, it's been over a year since he's hit anyone. ;)

PhotoChick
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Although, to his credit, it's been over a year since he's hit anyone.Hahahah! That made me laugh out loud. :)

JayEll
08-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I just fix people with a wide eyed stare and say Get. Out of. My. Way.

;)

Jay

GirlyGirlSebas
08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Okay. Let's be totally honest with each other. You've never had someone say "excuse me" in that so very irritated voice when there is plenty of room for them to get around you? I don't always think that it's because of my size. Often, it's just a sarcastic way of saying "get the @#$$ out of my way, I'm in a hurry."

Sandi, you're not crazy or over sensitive. It may not happen as often as we think, but it does happen.

JayEll
08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh, that "excuse me." Sure, I've heard that, and unfortunately I am usually startled and turn quickly with an elbow out. Oh I'm so sorry, here, let me help you up...

Okay, I'm just in one of those moods today. Pay no attention. :joker:

Jay

PhotoChick
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
You've never had someone say "excuse me" in that so very irritated voice when there is plenty of room for them to get around you?Honestly and truly I cannot think of a single instance where I've had that happen to me.

Now, that said, I will say that *I* have used the irritated-excuse-me-voice when walking around someone who has done something really dumb - like pull their cart out in front of mine and then stop dead still, forcing me to stop short ... or when someone has just left their cart in the middle of the aisle instead of pulling it off to one side, even if there is room to maneuver around it.

Even so, it has nothign to do with the size of the person in question. ;)

Glory87
08-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah, heh, the "excuse me" that actually means "excuse YOU." Sure, but it's not size related! There are doofuses of all sizes clogging up the aisles of grocery store with their bone-headed maneuvers.

twilit tera
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
You've never had someone say "excuse me" in that so very irritated voice when there is plenty of room for them to get around you?

Ok, now this thread has put me in mind of a really awkward moment I had last year. (Funny how certain moments can just stick in your head.)

In class I often have to squeeze through some tight spaces, especially between occupied desks. I find it very awkward and embarrassing. That brief moment last year especially was uncomfortable. I was trying to make my way back to my seat after delivering a presentation in speech class and I excused myself as I passed behind a classmate. The desks were positioned in a U shape, so all eyes have a clear view of everything going on, and at the moment, this was the only thing going on.

As he he rolled his chair in he muttered something under his breath (the word "weight" was the only distinctive thing in the sentence) to which is friend chuckled. I turned red and tried to ignore it as I got to my chair, but even today I wish that I had faced him with a clear "excuse me, did you say something?" and put HIM on the spot!

Things did get better in that class. You can't discuss communication and deliver speeches to the group about topics that interest you without getting to know the person inside. He learned that the person inside me was aware of the weight problem and that it was a concern of mine. I learned that he was usually a nice guy with more than a little intelligence - he just doesn't always show it.

:)