Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #1  
South Beach WOE

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Default New Here, Can it be that simple???

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum. I started the South Beach Diet Aug 12, and recently restarted. I did this diet from 2004-2006 losing 43lbs. However, I regained it back for various reasons. I am now unsure if I can continue. Phase 1 involves no carbs (pasta,bread,etc) and no fruit and I am finding it difficult. I went from 182 to 176lbs since Aug 12th.

I am wondering if someone can give me the basics of calorie counting. I have been eating between 1000-1200 calories per day. Is that enough for me? I am 5'1.

I exercise several times per week, however, it is moderate walking for 30-45 minutes because I have Cerebral Palsy and cannot do strenous exercise.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

PS I think my Fitday is in my avatar.
Brockbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi there. Welcome to 3FC.

I think the first thing anyone will tell you is that 1000-1200 calories is not enough. The general recommendation is that you don't drop below 1200 cals unless you're under medical supervision for a very low calorie diet.

IN fact at your weight and height, you could probably eat 1500 cals and still lose, as long as you added in some exercise.

Also while yes, the basics of it are limiting your cals, you can't really eat just anything as long as you stay below 1500. You do still have to be aware of what you're eating and get in proper nutrition or your body will stall w/out the proper nutrients.

But ... that said, it's really not that hard. Protein, veggies, and complex/natural carbs (i.e. whole grains, fruits, etc. rather than processed sugar and white flour).

I love calorie counting because I am not restricted. There are no foods that I *can't* have ... as long as I have the calories. For example, I had a chocolate chip cookie today ... it was a treat, but it fit within my calorie limits. And I didn't have to feel deprived as everyone else ate cookies and I didn't.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Photochick. That number seems low. You've got to eat to lose. I do WW, which is basically calorie counting. I don't attend meetings or am accountable to anyone but myself. Basically, I am a calorie counter. I lost about 20 pounds just by diet and walking. The rest of the weight has been lost by stepping up my exercise. Now I am running and had to go down in calories because I've lost more weight. Good luck to you!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Please don't go below 1200 calories a day - it's next to impossible to get enough nutrients in below that level. check out this stickie - tons of helpful info here for starting out.

If you can't do strenuous exercise you can still burn a lot of calories - it just takes more time. Walking is great! Build up your distances - you'd be surprised at how great you will feel. How about adding weight training?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes...calories counting is basically simple. However, to go along with what others have said - nothing is forbidden - but...you still need to eat healthy food to feel full and satisfied.

Welcome.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Yep, it really is that simple. Just burn more calories than you consume. And as others have already said, please do not eat below 1200 calories.

Here's an easy example:

Say you allow yourself 1500 calories a day to eat.
You KNOW you will be burning 2000 calories every single day.

Burned - consumed = weight loss
2000 - 1500 = 500 calorie deficit per day
500 x 7 (days in week) = 3500 calories burned for the week
3500 calories = 1lb so you lost a pound that week

Easy huh?

Now the trick is being healthy about it. You could eat 1 piece of pizza that is 1500 calories and nothing else for the day and have the same result. But anyone eating only a piece of pizza for the day is not exactly healthy.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #7  
South Beach WOE

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Thank you for putting things into perspective.

Now it makes sense how I have skinny friends that eat nothing but junk but skip meals and so stay thin. Definetely not healthy.

I think that calorie counting will be the best for me. I will not be depriving myself of anything (common mistake) and not as restrictive as the South Beach that I previously did.

Thank you so much for the replies.
Brockbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #8  

Real fast. When I was eating 1200 calories and working out like mad, I was not losing at all.

Now I'm eating between 1400-1600, still working out, and losing steadily. It was scary upping my calories, but it worked, so who am I to argue!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote