Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #1  

Exclamation The scariest thing happened with Jake--

Jake is 6 1/2 months old. He sleeps in a crib beside my bed (that's not up for debate, please ). When he turned around 5 1/2 months he started turning over and sleeping on his side or tummy, when I flip him over, right back he goes. I usually wake up once or twice a night and touch him to make sure he's breating, not too hot, you know, the "mommy" things.

On Saturday night when I woke up for one of my nightly reassurances, he didn't feel like he was breathing. I tapped him on the back a couple of times, but he didn't respond. When I put my hand under his stomach and lifted him THEN he took a breath. I rolled him over on his back and he turned over on his side, went back to sleep, breathing normally.

The same thing happened again last night. I felt of him and he didn't feel like he was breathing. I tapped him and got no response, I put my hand under his tummy like I did on Saturday and I got no response, I picked up his hand and uncurled his fingers--when I let go, his hand dropped right back down. (that takes longer to read than it actually took to do!!) I sat up on the side of the bed and picked him up and rolled him over. Then he started breathing OK.

I'm very very worried about this trend!!! I'm so afraid that I'm not going to wake up one night. He doesn't sleep on a cushy surface, but he had his face nose-down on his matress. I've been researching SIDS all morning (I'm sure my boss appreciates that) and it's some scary reading. He just had his 6-month vaccinations on August 20th, but nothing like this has ever happened before that, so I haven't discussed it with his pediatrician.

Have any of you moms ever been through anything like this? Am I becoming panicked over nothing? I don't feel like this is nothing........

Would my pediatrician be able to do anything?
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Call your pediatrician right away. Ask them about an apnea monitor.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #3  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 231/187/128

Height: 5'3"

Yes, call your pediatrician right away! Also, I used a sleep positioner with my son to ensure that he stayed on his back. You might want to check into one of these. They're pretty inexpensive. Just make sure that you look for one that has velcro or something so that you can reposition the sides as your baby grows. Good luck!
mommyfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #4  
carinna

My friend uses a sleep positioner for her daughter. It basically has a pad on each side so when you lay the baby on it, they can't roll over. I think they're pretty inexpensive. But I would also call the pediatrician, just to be safe.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #5  

I have 10 kids and know that many times I thought they were not breathing. There little chests just didn't move. But it is good to get it checked and then you'll feel more at ease.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also recommend that you call yoru pediatrician just to be SAFE.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Okay, so first off, I'm not a Mom, but we're ttc and I've done lots of research.

A while back I came across a study that explains one reason for SIDS (I'm sure many things fall under this category.) The study was done in New Zealand. Basically what the study says is that there is a naturally occurring fungus in babies sweat that reacts to the chemicals in flame ******ant crib mattresses. This reaction produces a toxic nerve gas that hugs the surface of the mattress, which is why babies who sleep on their backs are unaffected.

Here is a link about it: http://www.johnleemd.com/store/art_sids.html

If you google SIDS and mattress many sites will come up. Thankfully, covering the mattress will solve this problem. The link above has instructions and what type of covering to use.

I would also see your pediatrician though. You want to rule out anything medical as well!

Good luck! I hope little Jake is healthy and that there is nothing to worry about!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

Absolutely look into an apnea monitor with your ped just to be on the safe side. I would be worried if he made a huge gasping breath when you noticed him starting to breathe again, but if he didn't...most likely you are completely fine. It isn't something you want to play around with though, and I bet your ped would be fine with you having an apnea monitor for a bit to reassure you if nothing else.

Jake's hand flopping back onto the mattress doesn't mean he wasn't breathing or was any worse off than sleeping soundly. When my two were infants we used to be able to cut the nails of our kiddos and get them changed because they were so floppy and so sound asleep. Really, I used the time they were asleep to get anything done that was a battle when they were awake. They eventually grew out of it, but even now, my 4.5 year old sleeps VERY soundly. I can rub his back, talk to him, wiggle him, and if he's been really tired he won't wake up. I've changed him, picked him up, hauled him outside, and buckled him in the car seat without him waking up. You can pretty much almost play hot potato with soundly sleeping infants, they are more out of it than older kids. Works with non-humans too. Our beagle, when he was a puppy we'd have him sleeping on his back, cut his nails too, and then play with his ears letting them fall on his face covering his eyes and then pulling them out so he looked like a bat. He never woke up or moved. There is a reason they say "slept like a baby". They crash, crash hard, and will fall asleep anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
If you google SIDS and mattress many sites will come up. Thankfully, covering the mattress will solve this problem. The link above has instructions and what type of covering to use.
The problem with that study is that babies on their backs do die of SIDS too. They still actually have no idea what really causes SIDS (it may be several different things) Back sleeping doesn't solve the problem.

Off a mattress regulation site

"Q: Will any of the flame ******ant materials that the CPSC examined increase the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)?
A: No. The CPSC has concluded that none of the flame ******ant materials it researched will contribute to SIDS. In fact, the CPSC cited a four-year study conducted in the United Kingdom and reviewed by a number of expert panels in the UK and the U.S., in which the expert panels concluded that there is "no credible evidence" that any of the flame ******ant materials included in the CPSC's review contribute to SIDS."
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #9  

Height: 5'11

SIDS is just a terrifying thing isn't it? I would totally call your Ped. just to be safe. I would think if it's a big concern you could either buy or rent one of those apnea monitors. My son actually had one for awhile when he came home because he was a preemie. The thing went off a lot falsly and that was annoying but it was also a wonderful thing for peace of mind.
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #10  

I called the Dr. yesterday and took Jake in this morning. After I explained what was happening, she asked me what steps I had to take to make him start breathing again. I told her what I told you guys and she said that she thinks since he started breathing on his own that he's just a really sound sleeper and that he's breathing so slowly and deeply that it's hard to tell that he is. She told me that the next time that happens I need to turn on the light to make sure he still has good color. They checked his O2 levels to make sure they were at a good level and they were.

She told me I'm not being paranoid at all, that it's good that I scheduled him. I'm glad I did, too, but I'm sure I'll still check up on him (often) at night until my mind is at ease.......You know, until he's 18 or so.

Thank you all for your responses, and reassurances
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

What a scary experience for you!

One thing that you might keep in mind is that studies have shown that co-sleeping (in the same bed) can help to regulate young babies' breathing and heart rates. We're a very happy family of co-sleepers, and knowing that we were reducing the risk of SIDS in those early months was very comforting.

Another (possibly totally unrelated) thing that comes to mind is my experience with my DD when she had seizures as a newborn. After a seizure, she would stop breathing and go limp for 30 seconds or so. Is there any family history of seizures for you or Dad?

Best of luck to you and I hope things are smooth sailing from here on!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'm not a mommy, but I wanted to give you a hug! That must have been so scary for you!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #13  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I am glad that you got into the Doc. Keep a journal of time, what you observe, steps you took etc. That will help the doc to should the issue continue. Prayfully not!

I agree with Kim. I kept my babies with me untill they were full year. The nights dad was home they were in the crib beside me. When he was not home they were actually in bed with me. Much easier for night nursing and monitoring. My kids still take turns sleeping with me when Dad is not home and they are 7 & 5.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #14  

-- I have two boys -- I know the normal "never deep sleep again" feeling after you have a baby -- I can't imagine what I would have done had I ever had a "real" reason to check them 100 times a night. many hugs to you!! You are a great mom -- I am always amazed how moms "just know" when there is something going on -- like a blanket over the head, etc.

I woke up with my youngest when we were still in the hospital -- I had fallen asleep nursing him and woke up when I felt him rolling down my legs in the bed and the next time, we were home, I fell asleep feeding him in the recliner and woke up -- he was laying straight across one of my arms with his tiny little head in my hand. Such a tiny little person can sure scare the **** out of you
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #15  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
She told me I'm not being paranoid at all, that it's good that I scheduled him. I'm glad I did, too, but I'm sure I'll still check up on him (often) at night until my mind is at ease.......You know, until he's 18 or so.
I brought my first born home in 1988. She was 2 months premature and they didn't have monitors. I woke up every two hours for the next 3 years. Then I had my 2nd in 1993, full-term. I woke up every two hours for the next 3 years. Yep, it's what you'll be doing for awhile.

I'm so very glad to hear that you took him to a doc. Don't even feel bad. And if you ever wind up with a doc that makes you feel bad for it, kick 'em in the butt and go find a better doc.