South Beach Diet - Monday Chatterings

View Full Version : Monday Chatterings

cottagebythesea
08-25-2008, 06:16 AM
:coffee2: Happy Monday.

I've been up for a hour and there isn't even any glimmer of a sunrise yet. Our summer is definitely winding down. I'm not sure I'm ready for winter yet, though.

I had a nice weekend. It was pretty quiet for a change, but Jake and I got a lot of work done on the kitchen reno, which is a good feeling. I think things will come to a standstill for a while, though, until we're ready to buy the countertops. I have several trips planned all the way through Sept., so I won't be around to help on weekends, anyway.

Today the girls and I all have hairdresser appointments. Cut and color for me, and trims for them. School starts tomorrow, and their bangs are way too long! Cindy has to work late today, so I guess it will be up to me to supervise their baths and lay out their outfits for tomorrow. The girls are really excited about their new school, and I hope it's a good year for them. I have to start packing for my trip later this week, too. My DD and I are driving up to Maine to take my GD to college. I'm a bit sad that she's going to be so far away, but yet I'm excited for her to start a whole new phase of her life. We can't keep them in the nest forever, although I'd like to. :)

CyndiM
08-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Good morning Cottage :coffee2:

I'm not a fan of the dark thing. I becomes increasingly hard for me to get out of bed when it's dark and by December I'm late a lot. Oops

How special for your GD that both you and her Mom are taking her to college. You've been through this already so you know what to expect. I'm sure your DD will appreciate having you there too. It's so exciting and sad all at once. Hope you get some time to enjoy being in Maine too!

Well I'm back to work today. I'm giving myself a pep talk and working on a positive attitude. I know it won't do any good to go back with a negative outlook so will do the best I can. I do get to spend some time focusing on preparing the food preservation workshop, so that will be fun.
I really want to be a kept woman ;)

Have a good day everyone!

Loriann7
08-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Good morning Cottage, dry your tears, give a smile, and know you and dd raised her into a beautiful woman equipped to handle the situations life throws her. And if she falls or missteps here and there, know she'll be alright!

Still trying to find a new home for pup. Found out they changed the rules here in the park last year that only one dog is allowed. UM.... then why does a neighbor have two? Well, I left him out of the crate and he slept most the night by me, as I slept on the couch, so I'm still tired, didn't sleep to well. But at least I got some.

I've had four people say they'd call me back on him, and not one did. If they are not interested why not drop a line (email) or call saying, thx, but no thx. Why do they think I'm bothering to make sure they know he's needing some training?

Belle Mer
08-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi Cottage and Cyndi

It's dark here, too. And a little cooler in the mornings, yay. A cricket is making a racket outside my window this morning. We're off to IKEA today to browse, and stop at Trader Joe's on the way home.

Cottage: I'm sure you are thankful for your quiet weekend. Have a great "Beauty" day!

Cyndi: I wish you the best with being postive. It's difficult, but you can do it and it will help.

Hi Lori, simultaneous posting!!

Happy Monday, all!

Ruthxxx
08-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Cyndi, being a kept woman would be great but you'd be at the beck and call of some fat old guy who smoked cigars in bed and left the seat up. Better try Plan B. :rofl:

Cottage, that first day of school is so exciting. Ours doesn't start for another week but the little kids are counting the sleeps. Too bad your GD will be so far away but it'll be very maturing for her.

Well, my food dehydrator is evil! I did peaches yesterday and nibbled away too much. It's too darned easy to forget that four little pieces are a whole peach. As Weezle would say, I'm waiting for the "celebration" and am hoping it doesn't happen during this morning's Victoria's Quilts workshop.

This afternoon I plan to do some outside tidying as my property is starting to look like a crack house. The potting season is over and I must stash away my huge collection of pots and generally tidy up outside. It's a nice cool day for it too. The pears are ripe over at Claire's place and I may pick a few baskets to dehydrate - and NOT eat! After that I will go visit Harry and take along Hershey rather than Disney.

Happy Monday to all. Only one more week of this month. It must be nearly the end of summer. :cry:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Loriann, I do hope your problem "child" gets re-homed soon. You have enough stuff to deal with right now. The only one dog rule may make it easier but it'll be hard to explain to Jade.

Belle Mere, I love IKEA and will visit tomorrow when I'm in Ottawa. Crickets are considered good luck, by the way. I usually have one or two that decide to spend the winter in my cellar and don't really mind them.

Now I'm outta here before somebody else simulposts!

ladybugnessa
08-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Good Morning,

I could so live at the equator. it's light more there. of course the whole going to sleep when it's still light would mean NAPPING on the couch which i can easily do when it's light out.

first day back to school for girl child and DH...

oy. was a nice weekend.

have a good one girls.

CyndiM
08-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Ruth - if you like ginger toss some of those pears with shredded fresh ginger before drying. Yum!

femmecreole
08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Still dark here too, but definately not cool. It's hot and rainy and just plain icky. Was hoping school would be canceled today because we are still under a flood watch, but no such luck.

Spent hours yesterday working on lesson plans (they have to be done online) went back today and they were GONE. I nearly had a cow after all that work, but then found them under "2009" instead of "2008". whew.

Have a great day, all...no time for personals, heading out the door.

TwynnB
08-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Oh, Cat, I was holding my breath on that one! thank goodness!

Good morning chickies, and Matt if you check in (eh, I'll see him later anyway...He's very nice in person too!!)

me - gotta rest from the weekend! My children were HORRID yesterday! I know it's because we let them stay up too late Fri and Sat nights. It's that bad that weekdays are more restful then weekends?

With this cold and work, yesterday was the first day I got a good jog on the treadmill in. Go cold medicine! Made me feel better....easier to ignore the kids being bad!

Today - work and doctor's appt. Annual exam, aren't you jealous?!?!!

Oh - and I had spinach & strawberry salad yesterday (with bleu cheese (RF!) and pecans with homemade red wine viniagrette), and it was soooo good, I want it again today!!

Have a good one!

little chick
08-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Good Morning Chicks a fly by for me, got a ton of things to do to get ready for school to start next tuesday. Need to get my fall life organized. I love fall. Totally fell off the wagon this weekend we ended up camping on sat night at my moms trailer, love my new tent, anyway lets just say smores and wine were involved. then we ended up have a bque with dh sister and hubby late yesterday afternoon and that involved short cake and pina colodas.... Oh well I figure I am not going to be able to be totally faithful til school starts and life is more structured.

Cottage good luck this week end. You are only a couple of hours away from me, too bad you didn't have time to scoot over to NB. Hugs for you. I am sure you GD will love it, but I totally understand my dd has been talking about going to university away from home as well.

Well gotta to dash life it crazy around here and my todo list is growing instead of shrinking.

AutumnRose
08-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Good morning! Sorry no personals, I have to run to the elementary school to drop off my sons lunch and library book ASAP. Humid and rainy here. I think this day is a bust for me. I tend to only want to read on rainy days and since they are few and far between lately I will indulge myself. I will Zumba after I get back from school so the rest of the day is free for whatever. If the little one is up for a nap I would love that too. I've been dealing with insomnia lately, falling asleep just fine and waking up between 1 and 2 and never getting back to sleep....sooooo tired..... HAVE A GREAT MONDAY ALL!

Schmoodle
08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Good morning chicks, just a quick hello between kids. DS went off on the bus about an hour ago, and DD and I will walk to school in 15 mins. I've got a really bad case of the Mondays, I DO NOT want to work today, just want to sip coffee and sit on the porch and enjoy my quiet house. But there's always so much to do, sigh...
Hope you chicks have a great day.

tomandkara
08-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Aw, Linda! Hugs for your big trip to Maine! I'm sure that will be difficult.

What's a "kept woman", Cyndi? Good luck with the workshop!

Loriann, sorry about the dog mess. Have you heard anything about the job?

Belle, have fun shopping! I need a bunkbed mattress and stool from Ikea. Think you could grab them for me? ;)

Sorry about the peaches, Ruth. Kadyn had a run in with some dried apricots on Thursday and she was not a happy camper. I told her next time she needs to stop at three.

But, Nessa, it's so HOT at the equator! That would make me grumpy.

Cat, my heart jumped in my throat over your lesson plan story. Glad you found them!

Twynn, have fun at the docs. I hate the doctor! You should definitely stop on the way home and treat yourself to a good book or something!

Have fun with your organizing, LC! Fall is one of my favorite seasons, too!

Autumn, here are some sleeping vibes for you...(((zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)))

Schmoodle, hope you can enjoy your coffee at work!

Well, this weekend was busy, as promised. We spent Saturday at yard sales (found NOTHING), grocery shopping, and then at a barbeque for AWANA volunteers. It was good to get to meet the rest of the leaders. Sunday we had church and then AWANA registration, which lasted an hour longer than it was supposed to so we didn't get home until 5. Tom was thinking quick on his feet and suggested breakfast for dinner, which was very yummy - scrambled eggs with salsa in a whole wheat wrap. :T This week will be equally busy. Tom and I are in charge of the kindergarten to second grade group, which means we have nine leaders and fifty kids to attend to. Lots of preparation to make sure the kick-off night in two Sundays goes well. I'm really excited and can't wait to start!

I got on the scale this morning to see that I've gained four pounds since last week. I'm magical!!! Here's hoping for a whoosh the other way come next Monday.

Connor's trying to figure out how his math so I'd better go help him. Ah, he figured it out himself. Smart boy. Still must run.

Kara

weezle
08-25-2008, 08:45 AM
WOW busy morning today! Hi everyone! I'm a bit groggy and really sore. We moved all of Grandma's stuff out (the heavy stuff, at least) yesterday. Man, she had a lot of furniture in that little apartment. We're hurtin pretty bad today.

Today is going to be a busy day at work. I have to set the wall and then have an orientation with a newbie at 1. Hopefully no conference call today otherwise I'm going to have to interrupt training my new girl. Thank God vacation starts Friday!!!!! 10 whole days off..... I'm so ready. Hopefully my books arrive soon.

Hope you girlies have a great day!

Lisa

phxsunflower
08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
:swim:coming up for air:swim: WAHH I am in my 4th week of schoolSummer isgone around here,but someone forgot to tell mother nature. Life is busy around here. I REALLY miss getting here more often.

Cottage- enjoy the hair appts. My girls love going to the before school cut.
Cyndi-hope your day is a good one.
Loriann-good luck on finding a place for your pup.
Belle Mar-we have to many lizards around for crickets. Every once in a while one sneaks in and the dog gets it. Sorry you had a noisy wake up.
Ruth-Happy busy day to you.
Ladybug- living closer gives you the heat also.
femme-glad you found the class prep.
twynn-Gotta love the week to make up for the weekend. Have had many week like that especially lately.
Little chick-Sounds like a great weekend spent with family.
Autumn, Schmoodle- I am off and running with the kids also just don't seem to be running fast enough.
Kara-Hi again glad to see you back.

Just wanted to check in again now I must run and make lunches and get everyone moving and now I am running behind.

Have a great day and a safe one too.

ladybugnessa
08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
but i like the heat!

beachgal
08-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Thankfully, Cottage, there's glorious fall first! :love: Some of our leaves are changing already and I'm SO not ready for that yet, though. Trying to figure out when I have to change my summer wreath...I'm not ready yet! Wow, girl, I can't imagine you being old enough to have a college-age GD...you DEFINITELY don't look it! :no: Maine is such a beautiful state...I bet your GD will have a wonderful time...and you can go visit!

Oh, Cyndi, I'm with you--I'd gladly be a kept woman or independently wealthy! :lol: I was reading Pride & Prejudice with my book club and one of the women said, "Is this all they did all day? Visiting and reading and sewing? Didn't any of them work?" When we explained that genteel ladies didn't work in those days, she was astounded and said she "couldn't live that way!" Yikes...I'd be thrilled to live that way! Good for you with the positive attitude. It works wonders! :hug:

Shame about the park rules, Loriann. :( Hope you find a home for the pup soon.

Oh, Belle, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous! IKEA and TJ's in one day??? :faint: Two of my absolute favorites, neither of which is within five hours from where I life now... Have a blast!

Ruth, I had no idea IKEA was in Ottawa! Guess I was too busy eating :censored: to notice! :o Hope you have a blast! Maybe you should dehydrate some plums to help with the movement? :lol: Love the comment about your quilts meeting! :lol3:

I hear ya, Nessa. I got an eye-mask-thingy on a recent overseas flight and use it some mornings when our east-facing windows provide way too much light. It make it possible to sleep through anything. Let's pack our satin "Do Not Disturb" eye masks and move to the equator! :beach:

Yikes, Cat, flood watches must make everyone nervous these days. :( Hope it's nothing. :hug:

Oooh, your salad sounds divine, Twynn! Good luck at the doctor!

LC, darn those s'mores! :mad: I've been to a party where they made them the last two weeks. I don't necessarily want to eat them, but I LOVE roasting the marshmellows and miss that terribly. I have some SF marshmellows, but am afraid they'll go up in flames in a second! :fr:

Sorry for the bad sleep, Autumn. Sounds like a perfect day for a nap and long read. What will you be reading? (post in the reading thread, eh?) Good for you for bringing stuff to DD. My mom stayed at home and I always wondered what I'd do if I forgot my lunch but my mom worked! It was a comfort that she was always there.

Schmoo, play hooky for an hour. I bet it'll energize you to do that much more with the rest of your day! :hug:

Kara, it's great that AWANA is in so many places...I bet it helps you and the kids to have something that's the same no matter where you go! :D Your dinner sounds great. That was always Sunday dinner in my house as a kid. It's fun!

Me:
Busy weekend. DH and I took our little dog, Angel, up to a local nature center for a dog event with a couple of our friends and their dogs. There were organic dog treats, raffles, a professional dog photographer took her photo, and a local ceramic painting place helped us put her dog print on a tile which we painted with her name and the year. Then we all hiked the trails with my friend and her golden retriever leading the way. After that, our whole family (pup included) just crashed for a couple hours...we were SO tired! :lol: I went to a party Saturday night, which was fun, and on Sunday we did church, errands, and I did the grocery shopping. Nothing too exciting...ended with us crashed on the couch watching the closing ceremonies. Sad that the Olympics are over, but looking forward to earlier bedtimes! :tired:

Hope everyone has a cozy day!

beachgal
08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Simulposting!

Weezle, hope you have a calm morning! Yay for vacation!!!

Good to see you, Phx!

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Cottage - sheesh, you're an early riser!

Cyndi - I know what you mean. DH gets up early for school and I usually get up with him to fix breakfast and lunches for the day....by late autumn and winter, I'm up less and less.

Lori- good luck finding a new owner.

Belle - ooooooooh...ikea! Have fun and don't spend too much money.

Ruth - Have fun cleaning and dehydrating!

Nessa - Hope DD and DH have a fun day at school!

Cat - hi! Hope you get through the rain alright. It's supposed to rain throughout the day here as well :(

Twynn - have fun at your annual....man, I'm jealous. ;)

Littlechick - I love fall as well....the smells, the leaves, the cooler weather....ah.

Kara - I like your boy's name....we're naming our new little boy Connor as well. :) Don't you just hate going to yard sales and not finding a thing?

Weezle - what are you planning to do with your long vacation?

Phx- your schools must be like ours. The non-university schools started Aug. 7!

Beachgal - that pup of yours sounds pretty spoiled! Fun weekend!

--

DH starts school today and still doesn't have a finalized schedule. The registrar has been switching his classes around almost daily....annoying! I made lunches last night, so I only have to make breakfast this morning - finally. DH is going to be working late nights for the next few weeks putting the final touches on his dissertation. Thank GOD he only has a few weeks left of this.....it's been a major pain in both of our butts.

I have to run to the library and post office today, but other than that not much going on. I have a couple loads of laundry to finish as well. I think DS and I are going to go down to the pool - now that the kids are in school it is practically vacant.

Have a great day, everyone!

weezle
08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Zeff, I plan to not do a whole lot! :D We're going down south for Labor Day weekend to visit with Tommy's family, but besides that, I plan to lie around, stay off my feet, and read. Maybe catch up on some housework, but otherwise I don't plan to do much at all! I'm so ready for a break from work!

Barb0522
08-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Today is the first day of school for Brian too. He got called and asked to do safetly patrol in the mornings this week until they get the fifth graders trained. His teacher used to be a den leader in our Cub Scout pack so I know her a little. I think this is her first year teaching sixth grade though. It's a new after school program too run by teachers. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I showed Brian the schedule they send and his comment was: "Only a half hour for homework? How do they expect us to get it all done?" I told him that he needed to let them know if he needed more time. They should be aware that the older grades have more homework.

I'm working from home today since I don't know if I'll be taking Brian to visit his Dad in the hospital (For those who weren't on this weekend, Robert was riding a motorcycle on Saturday when he was hit by a truck). If the swelling goes down they will do the pelvic surgery today so I'm not sure if he will be up to seeing Brian.

We've got a troop meeting tonight but every other night this week is free. That's unusual!

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Zeff, I plan to not do a whole lot! :D We're going down south for Labor Day weekend to visit with Tommy's family, but besides that, I plan to lie around, stay off my feet, and read. Maybe catch up on some housework, but otherwise I don't plan to do much at all! I'm so ready for a break from work!

Have fun with that!

--

DH just found out that they cut his class load from 5 classes to 3. :( I was really hoping to be able to save a bit of money this semester...thankfully this is the last semester this school has to di*k him over like this.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pacergal29
08-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Oy, another Monday! Hoping this week flies by, we are heading to Lake Michigan this weekend for sailing with family and I can't wait! What I can wait for is meeting DD's BF who I hear is a real gem (said with much sarcasm). I refuse to accept she planning to marry this guy until I atleast meet him.

I WILL get in a full week of clean eating before heading to the lake, my sister is also working hard on her weight so hopefully it won't be a huge disaster.

I have procrastinated enough, better not take time for personals, hope you all have a great day.

Kim_Star060404
08-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone! Just a quick cluck-in. DH and I are off Thurs and Fri, so there's lots to do at the office before then. Hope you all are having a great Monday!

JessieW
08-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Zeff, Sorry to hear about your DH's schedule. Thankfully my DH's stipend is not dependent on whether/how much he teaches. He is one of only 5 grad students that gets their own class this semester--I think that is a big honor to him! He only ever teaches one class though. I will be so happy when dissertation is over. This is going to be a wild fall with the baby, him applying to jobs, teaching, and dissertation! Ack!!

Speaking of jobs...I know I can't get excited over each one but he did mention there is an opening at Wake Forest in his field. I would love to be there. Except it would still be far away from moms/dads. But I love NC...

And more:
I love the fall and can't wait for it to cool off. If it does I don't know if it will feel cool to me or not! I don't like getting up in the dark, though. That is always a struggle. I guess this winter I will be blessed to have my very own baby alarm clock to get me up whether I want to or not!!

Here's the newest belly picture. This is me and Priscilla Shirer, one of the authors I work with. I hate her for being much cuter pregnant than me!! She is about two weeks further along than I am.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v336/186/69/15804200/n15804200_31763219_1673.jpg

Food-wise...we are having homemade chicken cordon bleu and I am thinking of making that baked brown rice tonight, Laurie. Is that recipe on here or do I have to look it up at food tv?

GONNABE165
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Quick post for me as there is a lot of catching up and cleaning up to do now that Fickle Fay is out of sight. Cat I hope she doesn't head your way.

Pearlrose
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Good morning, being trying to post all morning tooo busy. Gotta run to meeting so will try and come back in later.

Have a great day

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Jessie - you're adorable! I need to get some belly pics....I just feel like such a cow that I hate taking pictures.

DH's stipend isn't dependent on how many classes he teaches....he usually gets two, but more than two and he is considered an adjunct and receives money on top of his stipend. At least he is getting one extra class, that should make things a bit easier.

Your DH doesn't get his own classes usually? How are they set up? I think DH has been teaching his own classes since he started....but I know that if you don't get good ratings, you're demoted from teacher to like office aid or something. ;)

How close is your DH to finishing his dissertation? I think DH has about 3 weeks left of writing and then on to presenting it to his committee and his defense is in November. Graduation is December 20 (our wedding anniversary). He starts work with his father's law firm in January and will start writing an ACT/SAT prep course in February. If all goes well with that course (we're marketing towards homeschoolers) he's going to start writing curriculum for higher math (calculus, algebra, trig., etc.). He said he wouldn't be content just doing research for a school because his real passion is teaching - and there is no money in just teaching. He's going to do law school and create homeschooling stuff on the side - he's writing the text book for the ACT/SAT prep right now, and will start a DVD course in Feb. with his sister.

If you need a pregnant, understanding shoulder to cry on....let me know. We're in the same boat in more ways than one :) Dissertation writing can get under the skin of even the most patient, supportive wife....especially if your DH is anything like mine, and being that they are both math minded...I'm guessing he is ;)

crap...I'm sick of this cold.

JessieW
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Zeff, my DH will graduate in May so I think he will defend his dissertation around March. He's been teaching his own classes for about 2 years, I think. He had one year where they just did a tutored study hall, one year of TA-ing, and then two years he has taught his own class. But it's not guaranteed ever. I think Vanderbilt has so many post-docs they don't always need the grad students to help teach. He truly loves teaching though and will be looking for a professorship. We know he's not going to make tons of money (which kind of makes me angry...all those years of school and they REALLY can't pay you a little more???) but it is what he loves. I will stay home but help supplement with freelance writing and editing, which I love doing.

It's exciting you're so close to be done! I will certainly let you know if I need a shoulder to cry on. I think I spent most of last week crying and wanting my mom...I am ready to have my non-pregnant self back, I think.

Oh, and I definitely think I look like a hippopotamus in that picture!

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Zeff, my DH will graduate in May so I think he will defend his dissertation around March. He's been teaching his own classes for about 2 years, I think. He had one year where they just did a tutored study hall, one year of TA-ing, and then two years he has taught his own class. But it's not guaranteed ever. I think Vanderbilt has so many post-docs they don't always need the grad students to help teach. He truly loves teaching though and will be looking for a professorship. We know he's not going to make tons of money (which kind of makes me angry...all those years of school and they REALLY can't pay you a little more???) but it is what he loves. I will stay home but help supplement with freelance writing and editing, which I love doing.

It's exciting you're so close to be done! I will certainly let you know if I need a shoulder to cry on. I think I spent most of last week crying and wanting my mom...I am ready to have my non-pregnant self back, I think.

Oh, and I definitely think I look like a hippopotamus in that picture!

My DH and I lovingly refer to myself as a little baby hippo....

We also say that we are going to be the most well educated poor family ever ;) Both have graduate degrees and making less than 30k per year. That should change when he finishes law school.

How did you get into freelance writing and editing? I would love to do something like that. I've been thinking of starting a blog....but can't quite think of anything that hasn't already been done to death!

Fat Melanie
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Personals in the order that they appeared:

Cottagebythesea, have fun with your cut & color and congrats on your GD going to college.

CyndiM, being a kept woman would be great if I were married to a doctor or lawyer or something. I'd lounge around the pool in my mansion and get my nails done... fun!

Loriann, sorry that you can't keep the pup! Hope you find someone who will take him, the poor thing. Heh, I never noticed you lived in NY but your location caught my eye. What part? I'm originally from Long Island.

Belle Mer, have fun at Ikea. Incidentally I have never been to one but I've heard they're great.

Ruthxxx, yum, the dehydrated fruits sound delicious. Hope the pears turn out well!

Lady Nessa, congrats on the family going back to school. I am strange, I find it incredibly hard to sleep when there is light. If I need a nap in the morning after I wake up to give the baby a bottle, I have to squeeze my eyes shut, cover my head with the blanket (well, I sleep like that anyway, it goes back to being a kid and being scared of the dark!) and sometimes I even have to literally put my hands over my eyes, and only then can I sleep with light. You're lucky!

Femmecreole, good thing that you found your lesson plans! I'm glad you did.

TwynnB, that salad sounds delicious, too bad I can't have such a salad since I'm on Phase 1. Will you share the recipe though?

AutumnRose, good luck dealing with the insomnia. I used to be an insomniac myself and I still have trouble falling asleep. I used to get stuff from a health food store to deal with it like kava kava and valerian.

Schmoodle, Monday sucks! Hope you have a good time at work anyway.

TomandKara, have fun working with the kids, and good luck peeing out the extra 4lbs (hopefully it's just water weight).

Weezle, have fun at work.

Phxsunflower, have fun at school.

Beachgal, I wish they had a cat event around here, since I'm a young crazy cat lady in the making, that would be right up my alley (cat). Ha. (I know, I know, that was corny and fully intended to be.) heh heh heh. The day you had sounds fun.

Zeffryn, your DH is in LAW school? Bad-@ss. How did he go about doing it? I've been considering doing that recently, not this year, but next year I was considering taking some community college courses, getting straight A's and then attempting to get into law school. But, I'm not sure how to go about it. Also you mentioned wanting to write, I am curious about how Jessie became a freelance writer as well, ever since I was a kid I've wanted to write the next great novel... or at least an entertaining piece of crap that makes it on the bestseller list. :D I love to write.

Barb, I hope Brian gets the more time he wants for his homework. (A kid motivated to actually DO his homework? That's wonderful! It sounds like you've got a very smart young man there.) I am sorry to hear about Brian's father and hope the surgery goes well. That dude is seriously a bit of a d*** but he still is the boy's father, so for his sake I hope he is okay.

Pacergal, have fun meeting the future SIL (?) Maybe he'll be an entirely different person than from what you've heard. People love to gossip but it's not always true. If everyone believed all of the slanderous things that my boyfriend's mother says about me around the county, I'd probably be burnt at the stake by now. :D

Kimstar, hi, have fun!

JessieW, I think you BOTH look wonderful. I love that dress. Yes, the fall is awesome, it is definitely my favorite season. But why, why whyyyy do you love NC? :p

Me: I finished the SBD book last night so, that's good. I've got so much cleaning to do, I need to go get on the Flylady website because it's ridiculous in here! But right now, I have absolutely no energy whatsoever.

Yesterday we were at my grandma's house and my DS whacked her in the nipple with a set of plastic measuring spoons. (She would give me measuring spoons to chew as a baby which she STILL has and gave them to me, all gnawed up and everything, so now she's got new ones to give to my son.) DS was flailing about all hyper energetic and it was clear to me that this child is taking after his father. We think that soon DS is going to start crawling. Grandma has a crib set up in the room, and she was trying to make me take it the last time we saw her. I told her I wasn't going to use a secondhand crib, I didn't know if it was safe, and I needed to measure the slats and stuff... she said I was being paranoid... well we set DS in the crib to take a nap, and then after awhile I went to check on him and he was turned sideways with his fat chunky leg stuck through one of the slats! He was fine. He was just laying there until I walked in the room and then started the wailing, (actually, it's more creature-screech than wailing, that boy sounds like a pteradactyl screaming)... anyway, I went and got Grandma to show her, and she was just horrified! I was mildly amused.

This girl I went to school with, she was in the grade below me, is moving in right next store (seriously, if I go out onto the porch, her front door is RIGHT THERE IN MY FACE practically). She is a friend of one of my best friends but I don't know her at all. My BF knows her. He used to call her Big Bird. Nice. My BF's friend was in a relationship with her for a couple of years and they've had two kids, but she left out of state to get away from him, and now she's back. Incidentally, her dad is our landlord, which is why he's renting the place to her. I like my privacy and she's taking it away! Biatche. Nah, it will probably be nice to have someone my age also with sons (although I only have one son) to be next door, although I imagine she'll be working most of the time. So yeah, that's what's going on in my boring life! Being a stay-at-home mom doesn't give you a lot of exciting stories to share, then again, I'll probably be changing my tune when my son starts crawling and getting into everything.

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Mel - DH will start law school in the fall of 2009. He is finishing up his PhD in Math right now. He should be done writing his dissertation within a few weeks and then he has to focus on taking the LSAT (the test required -along with a bachelors degree- to get into law school) Deadlines for registration is March, so he should have plenty of time. Unfortunately, the law school that he wants to go to only admits 250 students per year. - 1200 apply. DH has held a 4.0 GPA throughout grad school and a 3.8 in his undergraduate years. He did really well on the GRE - I think he got into the high 90th percentile - so he doesn't think the LSAT should be that big of a hurdle.

As far as I know, to get into law school you only need a bachelors degree (I don't think the major matters) with a relatively high GPA and a decent LSAT score...and patience.

As far as your place goes....start by cleaning the kitchen. It seems like when my kitchen is messy, it hinders me from cleaning everything else. When my kitchen is sparkly, everything else seems like a breeze. :)

Fat Melanie
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
It sounds really hard to get into law school... good luck to your DH. Now I'm thinking I better come up with a new life plan. Your husband sounds incredibly smart!

You know, it's sad because I still haven't started with cleaning. I agree with how a dirty kitchen hinders everything else. When the kitchen is clean, I feel so much better, even if the living room is a mess.

Kim_Star060404
08-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone. Just got back from the GYN's office. I almost forgot that I had my annual today! Anywho, she was really proud of the weight I've lost so far and has decided that, as long as my blood work is at the same levels it was in Dec., she won't put me back on the Met. Hallelujah! We went back over my eating and exercise plan and she's very happy with it. She said to just be as consistent as possible and that she's happy with my progress and would be ecstatic if it stayed at the same rate. Phew. Glad that's over with.

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Mel - I know it sounds really lame, but a friend of mine and I are cleaning partners :) We make our plan for the week and stay accountable to the other....it really helps. If you want, you could join. I usually make my schedule on Sunday afternoons and start Monday.

About DH being smart....yeah. It pisses me off sometimes. When we were in college, I studied my butt off and he would play video games....and STILL got better grades than I did. I stopped at a masters because of it. ;) Oh well, we all have our talents.

Kim - Congrats!

EofAZ
08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Well I had a brush with hi glucose carbs this weekend. We decided to go visit my SIL and BIL on Saturday. Last time I was there was BIL’s b’day and I sidestepped the lasagna, tortellini & ravioli served for dinner by arriving just late enough to justify not feeling like eating. (They knew we would be late and everyone else had finished.)

Sooooo, I put it right out of my mind, until Saturday, when I walked in and found she had pulled out the extra lasagna out of the freezer because she felt so bad that I didn’t get to have any two weeks ago.

I spent the entire day explain to her about low and high GI and how great I was finally feeling since I started SBD and how nervous even the thoughts of carbs make me feel and I had not introduced any pasta back into my diet yet. Now just note she is a 4’10” 90 lbs Italian. She has a lot of trouble keeping her weight up to a healthy range and is clueless of how important this is to me. AND lasagna is her specialty, made from scratch.

Dinner time comes (now I came prepared with my own food as I always do so this does not surprise anyone) and she looks at me with “so, are you going to have some?” I said Sure, just make the piece small please. Then I sat down next to DH and start picking and low and behold that lasagna came apart so easy that before anyone else sat down it was on DH’s plate and I leaned over and said “I would eat your eggplant for you if you needed me to” He nodded his head and slid the noodles under his and no one was the wiser, then I went and got my veggies out, had a little of her sauce a cross them so she could see me go back for seconds. It really was good but I really am terrified that I eat something that will trigger a craving. I’m still at phase 1.5 and really taking my time to add things back in. I’ve already found out that sugar free pudding isn’t a good idea for me. I can’t leave it alone if it is in the refrig so I haven’t prepared anymore once I got DH to clean it up for me before I nibbled away two whole boxes. It wasn't that there were that many calories, I think it was only like 25 cal per serving BUT it was the lack of control and the fear where it would lead to.

I cannot tell you how I felt when I walked in and saw how happy she was that she thought to fix me such a special treat for dinner, they almost always just have meat and potatoes. The Italian foods are a once a year thing and I had successfully navigated that this year. I brought my veggies and snacks and figured I could have some grilled meat, whatever it was and pass on the potatoes and be social and still stay on plan. Yah right.

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
EofAZ - they have single serving pouches of sugar free pudding mix. Each little pouch makes 1/2 cup serving. Perfect!

Great job staying on plan.

EofAZ
08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Jessie -- you look as cute as can be. This is the very best time in your life so enjoy the WHOLE experience. You look healthy and happy and pregnant and that is a beautiful sight. Enjoy this moment because it goes by so quickly.

EofAZ
08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Thx Zeffryn but I really am scared to death of triggering a binge. I was really struggling just before I started SBD. I was doing great up until my granddaughter was born (down 30 lbs using Nutrisystem from April - Sept '07) and while I was in NY with my DD I got off track (just a little) and when I got back to AZ spent from September '07 until June of '08 trying to get myself to stop binging. I didn't stop using NS I just couldn't stop eating in the evenings. I felt horrible. Right up until I was about 3 days into Phase I, thank goodness I found something that helped. But now if there is something that I eat that leaves me unable to control it that sucker is out of my house. There is plenty I can eat that won't do that to me and nothing is worth the feeling you get when you loose control.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

BTW, I'm not slamming NS because I did loose 30 lbs really easily but once I started craving carbs it wasn't possible to use their product effectively. Besides that I didn't realize how much I missed cooking.

I just love this program and I owe trying it to this site. I thought it was just a fad until I started following the posts here so I really owe you guys a lot.

zeffryn
08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
As much as I've heard people having success with Nutrisystem, I think a major flaw in it is that it doesn't teach you how to eat after you've lost the weight. How is one supposed to maintain a weightloss if they've eaten prepared foods the entire time? One cannot live on nutrisystem meals forever me thinks.

EofAZ
08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I know, and I can appreciate that, but to give credit where credit is due they have an amazing customer base. So many people have been successful on the plan and converted NS foods to recipes they now cook at home and share with others. NS does not block that sharing in anyway. You can get hundreds of recipes that are shared to replace and improve the NS foods. The corporation could be really nasty about that but they aren't and that really surprised me.

That said, I still wish I had researched SBD years ago but better now then never.

Fat Melanie
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Mel - I know it sounds really lame, but a friend of mine and I are cleaning partners :) We make our plan for the week and stay accountable to the other....it really helps. If you want, you could join. I usually make my schedule on Sunday afternoons and start Monday.

About DH being smart....yeah. It pisses me off sometimes. When we were in college, I studied my butt off and he would play video games....and STILL got better grades than I did. I stopped at a masters because of it. ;) Oh well, we all have our talents.

Kim - Congrats!

Zeffryn, anything that will help me stick to some sort of schedule and keep this place CLEAN... tell me more. I never got around to doing it, never visited the flylady site today, got sidetracked, BF came home, contributing to the mess (it only takes him a minute and mess starts piling up), and now I've got this mentality that it's too late to clean today (it is 6pm here) although honestly, I could get up right this second and clean, I just feel too overwhelmed to do so. Urgh, it's a s**thole in here.

I'm envious. I wish I had a master's. I could by now, but I stupidly quit college because I decided at the time that partying was a lot more fun (it ended up not so much when you're 22 with nothing to show for it!) So I say you've done very well.

EofAz, (for some reason everytime I see your name I am reminded of EasyE, some rapper my boyfriend likes.), doesn't the Nutrisytem focus on good carbs and whole grains and stuff?

It seems too expensive for my budget though, and I like to cook. But, I think it's great that you lost 30 lbs, but I'm glad you have joined everyone on the SBD. :)

JellyBean32882
08-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Today has been ****, don't got much to say. All my fam keeps talking about now is my sister and her baby due in Feb.. and yet they put me down saying I'm not street smart and this and that.. I'm sick of my family, I certainly hope I do get the job I applied for cause I'm sick of being controlled and put down. That is why I'm always putting myself down and hate myself.

Hope everyone is doing well..

KO
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Jelly, I'm sorry your family is putting you down. Remember you're life is defined by you and you're going places. Even a baby step is a step in the right direction.
Today has been long!
My BP was all flooey today and I was not prepped with snackage at all so I gave into the salt monster but luckily not sugar.
So I have enough PRotein and veggies for tomorrow to fuel a Ph 1 factory
and a single serve bag of pretzels just in case

I bought peanuts and bagged them and then looked at the ingredients Sugar and MSG so I'm bringing them but they're a super last resort if I'm woozy
ok off to beddy byes
Nite
K