Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Protein bars and, ummm, GAS !!!!!!

HELP !!!! I found a wonderful protein bar. Kashi brand. They are wonderful, Honey Almond Flax, Pumpkin Flax and a couple of others. They are great...............however my stomach has never been so upset, bloated and gassy. Is it the flax???? I stopped them for a few days and the symptoms went away but I love them and they have high fiber and high protein and are a good mid morning and or mid afternoon snack. Any comments?????
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #2  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzyy View Post
HELP !!!! I found a wonderful protein bar. Kashi brand. They are wonderful, Honey Almond Flax, Pumpkin Flax and a couple of others. They are great...............however my stomach has never been so upset, bloated and gassy. Is it the flax???? I stopped them for a few days and the symptoms went away but I love them and they have high fiber and high protein and are a good mid morning and or mid afternoon snack. Any comments?????
Suzy
I dunno...I guess stop eating them if they don't agree with you? There are so many products on the market that you will surely be able to find food to eat without eating things that upset you so.

-Susan
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/218.5/170

Height: 5 ft. 7 in.

I think the gas will subside as your body gets used to the bars, especially if your diet was relatively low fiber before. I'd give your body a couple weeks to get adjusted. Maybe eat only one or even half for a few days, then move up to a full one or two (one in morn, one in afternoon) Take it slow and gradual, and your body WILL adjust.

Whenever we travel, my digestion goes haywire for a while adjusting to new foods. It's just fussy. Sounds like you have a fussy tummy too. It didn't used to be this way. I think it's a middle age thing. I used to be able to eat heaps of spicy mexican food. No more. (probably just as well)

In the meantime, maybe try one of the over the counter anti-gas meds just to help the adjustment period. If you're still struggling after 2-3 weeks, then you might not be able to tolerate them.

hopefuldreamer
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

It's probably the fiber, not the flax.
I *cannot* eat the Kashi Good Friends cereal because of the same problem.
If I continued to eat it, I'd have no friends-lol!

I can tolerate the other cereals and the bars though.
Actually, I probably eat too much of them. I should buy stock in Kashi
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the input. I have stopped eating them and my problems have vanished. I know I probably should have stuck it out and maybe got used to them however, the gas pain and bloating just down right HURT ! So I will look for another easy mid morning snack for work. Any ideas???
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #6  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

I had to find what worked best for me--right now, it's a cup of fresh cherries. They only have one point (yah, I'm on WeightWatchers). Well it's what's working for me now, anyway, that may change! It keeps me from getting that starvy-hungry feeling before lunch when I eat them mid-morning. I guess they have enough fiber but not too much. Plus it satisfies that "sweet" spot. For some reason any other fresh fruit just leaves me hungrier. Hang in there, you'll find what works for you!

-Susan
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Any fruit, half a peanut butter sandwich, cheese stick, cottage cheese, handful of nuts, celery, baby carrots, etc.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote