Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #1  

Default so far

Well... its been 8 weeks now that i've been dieting. it all started with just an idead of some rapid weight loss to be able to endulge myself at a wedding in fastfood land (america) i was going to attend but it turned out to be a real life changing experience.

The first 3 weeks on a low carb diet (basically the atkins diet without all that 'increase 5 grams of carbs per week until you stop losing weight then drop down again, blah blah blah... too complicated for me).

I eat as little carbs as possible. I have a protein shake in the morning which has about 10 grams, i may have another one during the afternoon but i sometimes skip lunch though and have a portion of protein with salad etc for dinner. its quite nice. i rediscovered things like sardines in tomato sauce (yummy).

I decided to start eating things which are proven do be beneficial and avoid thing which are not.

I avoid too fatty foods. specially with lots of saturated fats. I don't eat that much meat. its mosty chicken.

I started to take a tablespoon of cod liver oil every morning. people say its just a wive's tale oil but i have a bad knee which i tore lots of the cartilage year ago playing football and sometimes it acts up but its been lot better since i started on the cod oil.
The sardines and herrings are full of omega three which i hope will help improve (or restore any potential damaged caused by the obesiness) cardiovascular function.

It has become easy now to avoid things which will break the diet. my mother's birthday was yesterday but i couldn't have any cake. its fine. no big deal. i'm not a needy person.

I hope to acheive my goal of less than 100 kilos ( 218 pounds or 15 stone 5) before christmas in time for my wife's birthday in november.

So far (in the last 8 weeks) i've lost exactly 20 kilos (44 pounds or 3 stone 2). not bad if you ask me but there is still another 24ish quilos to go. but now that i think about i'm 50% there.

The other day we went shopping and i bought some diet soft drinks. we bought 12 2 liter bottles and it was interesting to see how much 10 of those bottles (20ish kilos) weighed. its really heavy. well, thats what i lost and have another batch to lose now. <-- i love the little carrot.

I'm still losing weight at a rate of 2 kilos per week. not healthy if you ask me but neither is chemotherapy or tylenol for that matter but sometimes it has to be done.

I expect that rate to lower a little now that i'm not carrying as much weight. but according to my calculations i should accheive my goal in the next three months.

I've already planned my way back into carbs really well. I'm not going to keep on the high protein/low carb diet since i don't think its healthy. there is a reason why there is such an abundance of grains in the world if it wasnt supposed to be the base of our diet. I don't think that stuffing myself with processes carbs and sugar is the way forward.
I'll try to avoid all raw sugar and white flour. try to focus more on whole foods.
Its somewhat scary the prospect of going back to a balanced diet. (which includes carbs). I'm sure i'll get over it really quick.

I found this diet quite easy really but i guess this is because i really decided to take on a lifestyle change. Its necessary no optional. its just like trying to quit smoke but you still attend the same partys where everyone you know smokes. or trying to quite drinking but you're at the pub every weekend instead of doing one of a doesn't work. eventually you'll get right back into your old habits and you just wasted valuable time.

to everyone thats on a similar boat as i am: keep strong. its worh it.
ojconcentrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

First, I'd like to congratulate you on your weight loss

I would however like to say that I am confused by several things you've mentioned regarding your diet as well as the mindset you have that high protein/low carb eating is unhealthy.

You state that you are basically doing the Atkins diet...but you also say you eat as little carbs as possible & that you are using protein shakes & skipping lunch...this is not Atkins. Atkins Induction is 20 carbs per day with 12-15 coming from veggies & salad on the acceptable foods list: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm
Atkins is a moderate protein, high fat diet...therefore fatty cuts of meat, butter, eggs, heavy cream, mayo & full fat salad dressings are encouraged. This is necessary to acheive ketosis, in which the body converts fat for fuel.

When done correctly, Atkins is a healthy program for life that does include grains, fruit and plenty of veggies but, any eating plan needs to be a lifestyle change for the rest of your life to be successful

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #3  

that is why i don't claim to be on the atkins diet
but i guess the end goal is the same.

thanks for your thoughts.
ojconcentrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojconcentrate View Post
Actually you did.

Quote:
The first 3 weeks on a low carb diet (basically the atkins diet without all that 'increase 5 grams of carbs per week until you stop losing weight then drop down again, blah blah blah... too complicated for me).
Quote:
but i guess the end goal is the same.
My end goal is to be healthy and fit for life. I hope that is everyone's end goal.

Quote:
thanks for your thoughts.
You're welcome, but I really wish you would respond to my questions in the accountability thread.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
I apparently misunderstood when you stated you were doing "basically the atkins diet without all that 'increase 5 grams of carbs per week until you stop losing weight then drop down again, blah blah blah"

I just wanted to clarify for the newbies doing Atkins that what you described is not Atkins but, you have already done that
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote