South Beach Diet - Phase I Chick-Check - Week of August 24

Ruthxxx
08-24-2008, 06:37 AM
This thread is for all new and returning Phase I folks.

Please post your successes, problems and helpful hints in this thread where we can all share. If you are new, feel free to join in - there's lots of support here.

Jenskihere
08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi there. I have been on Phase 1 since last Monday, so I am almost 7 days in. I feel AWESOME! I feel so in control, if that makes sense. I feel like my will power is is high gear, and it isn't hard right now. I am eating a lot of veggies, drinking a lot of water and watching the sugar. To say I have been 100% OP this week would be a lie. I have strayed. I had a small piece of bday cake for my father-in-laws birthday, I have had a few pieces of pizza with the family,a small handful of grapes while making the kids lunch, etc.
I still feel in control, I feel great. I am down 3 lbs as of today.
My question is, do I start Phase 1 over again tomorrow? Or keep going on my second week?
Thanks,
Jenny

Fat Melanie
08-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Jenskihere, you're doing great and it's awesome that you feel so good as a result.

I have this theory that some cheats here and there may not be as detrimental to some individuals as it may be to others. I have read the book now and have come to the conclusion that some people are able to get away with a few cheats.

I am currently on phase 1 again and have had some cheats and still lost 2 lbs when I weighed myself this morning. Still, I want to do ph 1 cleanly. Just watch for cravings after you had some of those cheats, try to isolate and identify them. It is better not to cheat, but when you do (and we are human!), just pay attention to what causes binges later on. I am keeping careful watch. We went to my grandma's and I had her famous potato salad so I'm watching out for any cravings... I did not intend on cheating today at all, but we were at her house and she insisted we stay for dinner, and although I don't make potato salad myself, her potato salad is a weakness for me.

After reading the SBD book (which I did, I finished it earlier) I figured that the potatoes were boiled, and it had mayo in it. Thus, the mayo would slow down the absorption of the carbs into my bloodsteam. Which, doesn't make it 'legal' or healthy, but it was better than eating a baked potato!

The book opened my eyes because although I already understand the basic principles behind the SBD, it wasn't quite as I had expected it entirely.

Still, this potato salad was a one-time thing.

Anyway, it felt great to move my ticker down!

Hope everyone is doing well.

cottagebythesea
08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Jenski, I think it's very important to have a clean two weeks of Phase 1 to completely rid your body of toxins and cravings, and to give you a good foundation for following this way of eating the rest of your life. Once you've started Phase 2, an occasional cheat won't hurt you, but you really shouldn't cheat in Phase 1.

Marathon Mom
08-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Good Morning Chicks!

I am back on phase 1 for two weeks... Vacations and summer have been a lot of fun, but all those "little treats" have snuck up on me and are hangin' on! This thread always motivates me and helps shake off those stubborn lbs...

Jenskihere
08-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll use last week as my "learning week." I'll just start clean on Phase 1 again today. Doing great so far!!
Thanks,
Jenny

Ruthxxx
08-27-2008, 05:54 AM
bump

hmacneil6
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
So coming back from a long weekend of eating debauchery I'm going to do at least a week of P1. Going shopping this morning. Planning on having a giant grilled chicken salad for dinner with lots of veggies. Lunch is going to be shrimp and great northern bean salad. I'm hoping my dh will be up for a walk tonight after dinner.

newcreation2911
08-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Everyone! I am on day 10 of phase 1 but I am going to do another week because I cheated on Monday. But all in all I am doing really well. I am liking this new way of eating. And I think this website has been a big help for me. I think the best part is that unlike other diets I have tried, I never feel hungry! Have a great week all!

~Liz

pam920
08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi all.

I did SB back when the book first came out. Had great success with it. Slowly the weight came back with an additional 10 lbs, when I quit following the program. After having a stent last summer, I joined WW and have been doing the Core Plan. I'm really having a hard time getting my HDL up. It just keeps getting lower, instead of higher, even though I'm eating right. I am now on fish oil capsules and Niaspan, to try and get it up where it should be.

I still have 9 lbs to lose to get to a healthy BMI. I have been at a stall for the last 2 month or longer. I am not gaining, but I'm not losing either. I really enjoyed SB and the Core plan is very similar. I am re-reading my book and have looked over the food lists for any new changes since I last did the diet.

My question....do I really need to do phase 1? I don't eat breads or sugars. I don't feel I would be detoxing my body, since I don't eat that stuff anyway. I will really miss my fruit. I am so confused about SB and WW Core plan. I'm trying to figure out what is different about the two. I know nuts are not on the WW plan. I really miss them. Also peanut butter is not on WW core list. You can have them, just count the points. I used to have an apple with pb every night on SB. Now, on WW, I have popcorn and fruit. I much prefer the apple/pb.

Also, I eat quinoa and bulgar. I see the quinoa on the list of foods, but not bulgar. Both are whole grains, high fiber, and very healthy. I couldn't live without these 2 grains. I don't eat the bulgar as often, but usually have quinoa for dinner and sometimes for lunch. I very seldom eat bread, pasta or rice. I do have steel cut oats for breakfast most mornings.

Sorry this is so long. Do you think I need to start on Phase 1? Also concerned about my whole grains (quinoa and bulgar).

Thanks.

My stats are wrong. I'm at 149, not 158.2
Pam

Schmoodle
08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Pam, you do not have to do Ph1, particularly if you do not have a lot to lose, or have been eating healthy and don't have cravings for the bad carbs.
Yes, bulgar and nuts are allowed. Apple and peanut butter is a great snack!
Welcome.

sarahyu
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I started back on SBD 10 days ago. The first week I did great, stayed on plan, walked a lot and on Sunday when I weighed myself I had lost 4 punds and 2 inches off my waist. yeah....

Well, that afternoon I went to a going away party for a friend of mine and did exceptionall well at the potluck. Ate in moderation all 'good' foods. Put my plate up afterwards, got a huge sugar free tea and set and talked with all my friends, feeling quite proud of myself. Oh dear, the desserts rolled out. I wasn't going to have any, I wasn't going to go up to the table at all, I was sitting very far from the table. Some how and to this day I can't figure out what my thought process was, I passed the table and decided that a little bit of this and that wouldn't really hurt right? So I had 1/2 slice of apple pie, 1/2 slice of cheese cake and 1/2 a slice of peach pie. At least I didn't have any ice cream. And I did stop at 1/2 a slice of each... The next morning I weighed myself and had gained back the 4 pounds. Oh, well, live and learn.

So basically I'm on day 3 of phase 1 because I want to have at least a good 2clean weeks before starting phase 2.

The next problem I have is another party on Saturday where someone is bringing a cake from the Asian market-those really good fruity ones that aren't very sweet. So I have to figure out how not to eat it. I have a few more days to figure out some stategies.

Sarah in MD

Schmoodle
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Sarah, that's a challenge we all face! What went wrong was somewhere between sitting with your tea and having made the decision that you would not have any dessert and taking that first little bit. We all need strategies and answers to that evil little voice in your head starts telling you a little bit won't hurt.

But keep in mind that 4 lbs. is 14000 calories and it's doubtful you ate that much cake! Your four lbs. will be gone in a minute, but you're right, a good clean Ph1 is important and will make it easier to resist the cake next time.

zeffryn
08-27-2008, 01:25 PM
hmac- you just reminded me to take chicken out of the freezer for tonight! THANKS!!!

Fat Melanie
08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Sarahyu, like Schmoodle says, you didn't consume 14000 extra calories in that pie. I'll give you props for only eating half a slice of each. If I were in such a situation and I did decide to cave in and eat just a little, I would have eaten 3 whole slices of pie/cheesecake.

Just keep drinking water, cut out salt for a day or two, check the scale again tomorrow. :)

colleenbeandiva
08-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I am addicted to this site. I just started back on the beach on Monday and I am trying really hard...weekends just kill me!! Oh well it's worth it.

Marathon Mom
08-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Doing well on my 4th day of phase one... It's truly amazing how eating "clean" reduces cravings & bloat... I feel much better! Down 6lbs. :)

zeffryn
08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Marathon Mom - isn't that the best feeling? I know when I've been overindulging a bit too much because my fingers start to swell and my rings don't fit right....it's nice when I really set my sights on eating very healthy and "clean" that day and my rings fit better the next day.

Marathon Mom
08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Zeff... very true... I think it's a testament of doing what 'works' for your body... when it's right it's just 'right'...

So glad I found SBD and this site! Such a great resource for info and support!

:dance:

zeffryn
08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
that is the cutest little jumping thing. :lol:

Jenskihere
08-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I am loving the way this program makes me feel. I feel so much more in control and I can look back and see how the choices I was making before weren't helping in my weight loss journey. Even though I thought I was doing OK with the 100 calorie packs and the granola bars, those weren't right for me. I never thought that a simple string cheese w/ a few veggies would carry me thru to my next meal!
I am in need of new recipes. The eggs for breakfast are a bit old. I made the "pancake" and "waffle" recipes, and what a difference in how I felt afterward. I miss the ease of sandwiches for lunch. Again, I was alway using lowcal bread, but that wasn't working for me. Now a large bowl of vb "soup" is so much more satsfying!!

Lunch ideas??? Someone mentioned FF refried beans, with lf cheese, ff sour cream. That sounds good!
Jenny

Jenskihere
08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I meant v8 soup. Heated it is great!!

murphmitch
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I put a half a cup of FF refried beans in the bottom of a bowl and sprinkle some RF cheese over it, nuke it till it's warm and cheese is melting, then top with lots of lettuce, tomatoes and pico de gallo. Then top with LF or FF sour cream. It's yummy. Even my husband likes it.

wife2abadge
08-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Just curious -- what did you eat ON the pancake and waffle?

I made the "pancake" and "waffle" recipes, and what a difference in how I felt afterward. Jenny

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
wife2abadge- we are allowed sugar free syrup.

CrystalBelle
08-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I am about to start on my journey and am terribly confused about the milk/dairy ... I love milk and could drink a 1/2 gallon a day no problem ... I read the new guidelines (read the old book originaly) and was confused about the 2 cups daily ??? can anyone elaborate on the milk/dairy consumption ... thanks ...

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I am about to start on my journey and am terribly confused about the milk/dairy ... I love milk and could drink a 1/2 gallon a day no problem ... I read the new guidelines (read the old book originaly) and was confused about the 2 cups daily ??? can anyone elaborate on the milk/dairy consumption ... thanks ...

What are you confused about? We are allowed 2 cups of dairy daily.....including yogurt. 16 oz is two cups.

Ie: 1/2 cup yogurt
1.5 cups of low fat milk

1 cup of yogurt
1 cup of milk

no yogurt
2 cups of milk

CrystalBelle
08-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Thank you :)

Fat Melanie
08-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Phase One chicas, I did it.. . I did it... I ignored bread! I didn't cave!

That sliced bread you get from the stores, I can take it or leave it. It's nothing to me. But freshly baked bread from a restaurant? Now that's something you don't get to have everday. BF had off work today, wanted to go get a hot sub from a little italian restaurant, so he ordered me the antipasto salad. It came with a huge 'personal size' fresh baked loaf of italian bread that smelled so divine.

I did not eat it, it's in the fridge for BF to eat later when I make turkey parmesan. Oh my god, it was killing me at first. Now I'm more relaxed, knowing that I didn't immediately cave.

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I was using some SF syrup as well. I like how filing they are!!

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I am making the kids tacos for dinner tonight, I am going to have that FF bean recipe! I am going to add some avocado for my oils.

Mel - good job on the bread! I don't know if I could have been as strong!

Fat Melanie
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I've been dying to try those ricotta pancakes and stuff, with the SF syrup but I haven't got around to getting the ingredients yet. I need a change as well. Eggs become so mundane after awhile.

Edit: I don't know how I was that strong, I still want the bread but I won't. I'm sitting here telling myself, what will that bread do for you? It's white flour, refined crap that smells good to trick you. It will go right into your bloodstream and cause you to have crazy cravings later on... this book I was reading by High Voltage said, if you eat that bread it's going RIGHT TO YOUR THIGHS!!!

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Mel, are you still on P1? Get your butt to P2, girl!

Also, distract yourself with something else.....read, clean, go out for a walk.....sitting idly makes cravings SO much worse.

Fat Melanie
08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I can't, 'cause I keep screwing up ever since I supposedly 'went back on ph 1', I never really did it, nor completed it, or even did it half-assedly. Of course, I had all intentions on doing so but I've been having severe cravings that did lead to my downfall, because I am weak, simply weak. Some days I would do well, and then cave towards the end of the day. The first few days of I did do well, but then started going off plan constantly. I'm seeing why, though, so I'm making notes. Mental notes anyway.

Today I've been clean except for two slices of salami on a salad and olives as well as dressing. So hopefully another 13 days of being clean and I'll be on ph 1.5. I have a problem with doing a phase 1 day well, screwing up the next day and feeling like it's blown and I have to restart. I feel like I keep restarting. I need to just trudge through ph 1 and keep going.

zeffryn
08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
stop restarting....just go. Try as hard as you can to have the cleanest p1 you can and then move to P2. Don't think about it so much. Just do.

Jenskihere
08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
and throw that darn bread out so you stop thinking of it! I have learned if I have a trigger food in the house(like brownies!!), I will keep grazing everytime I hit the kitchen. So I throw the stuff out! Then I won't touch it! So, get up, walk to the kitchen and throw the bread out, your BF doesn't need it either! :-)

wife2abadge
08-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Day One of SBD here -- first time. I had the cheesy frittata for breakfast. It was quite delicious, but took a really long time to make. I guess it will be a weekends only breakfast. I cooked the Chock Full of Veggies Chili yesterday, so that will be lunch, and I'm making the Gingered Pork Loin for dinner.

Doing without bread won't be a big deal for me -- it's doing without dessert that will be difficult. I work with 90% women and there is a constant stream of treats coming into the building and sitting out where we walk by constantly. Do you veterans think it gets easier to ignore that stuff as time goes by or more difficult as your enthusiasm for dieting wanes?

zeffryn
08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Day One of SBD here -- first time. I had the cheesy frittata for breakfast. It was quite delicious, but took a really long time to make. I guess it will be a weekends only breakfast. I cooked the Chock Full of Veggies Chili yesterday, so that will be lunch, and I'm making the Gingered Pork Loin for dinner.

Doing without bread won't be a big deal for me -- it's doing without dessert that will be difficult. I work with 90% women and there is a constant stream of treats coming into the building and sitting out where we walk by constantly. Do you veterans think it gets easier to ignore that stuff as time goes by or more difficult as your enthusiasm for dieting wanes?

With the frittatas, I usually make one or two on the weekends and then save them for the week. A few seconds in the microwave and they are perfect.

For me, the ignoring desserts gets easier....

Fat Melanie
08-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Man, I'm gonna need a slap in the face in lieu of support. I am binging like all-get-out and it's not only disgusting behavior, but it's disgusting behavior partly brought on by anxiety, which only causes more anxiety because I KNOW I'm screwing up and it's making me physicaly ill (bloating, diarrhea, TMI, oh well).

Phase 1 cannot be salvaged at this point.

Tomorrow I have to be at two different cookouts... so, I'm not even going to bother trying to start again tomorrow. I already know I won't be able to do it and I'll be mentally beating myself up when I get home, and then I'll tear into the rest of the cheesecake I have (yes, I have cheesecake, like I said I have been binging and acting crazy. I really DO understand now how things with bad carbs make you binge later, it is clear as day to me now that SBD is the right way to go and that Dr Agatson really knows what he's talking about. He's no damn quack for sure.) So, I've got to get back OP on Monday, get some more lettuce for salads, and a few other items, and GET BACK ON THE WAGON.

God, I'm like an alcoholic falling off the wagon, maybe I should join an overeaters anonymous. Now that's food for thought. Wonder if they have any in my area.

Okay, chicks, please shout and yell and everything else you can say to help me get back on track Monday. I'm feeling like absolute crap from the crappy foods, both physically and mentally. The scale has gone up MASSIVELY.

URGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! *drama queen scream*

CyndiM
08-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Melanie - throw that cheesecake out! I know I hate wasting food too but you have to remember you are not a garbage disposal unit. So you messed up yesterday, doesn't mean you have to today. Toss it out and consider it a diet related expense, then get back on plan.

wife2abadge
08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
It sounds as though you need to find another way to deal with your anxiety. Bingeing as you are describing it isn't about the food as much as it is about you trying to avoid something with food and then using the "I blew it now, I might as well eat everything I can until I start again" mentality to eat more. Things with "bad" carbs do not make you binge -- you are making the choice to deal with your feelings by bingeing. Believe me, I have much empathy for you. I spent many, many years alternately dieting, bingeing, and overexercising, punctuated by relatively sane periods when I maintained my weight loss. When I binged, I felt as though I were completely DRIVEN and helpless in the presence of food. This past winter I finally sought therapy with a woman who specializes in eating disorders, and I haven't binged in many months.

Overeaters Anonymous has helped many people, but I found it very unrealistic, and full of overweight people "messing up" again and again and again. They make you feel guilty if you eat a cookie. There aren't too many people who can go for the rest of their lives without eating a cookie. The best thing is to learn to live with eating an occasional cookie and not immediately following it up with everything in the refrigerator because you "failed". Have you ever thought about getting therapy?

Man, I'm gonna need a slap in the face in lieu of support. I am binging like all-get-out and it's not only disgusting behavior, but it's disgusting behavior partly brought on by anxiety, which only causes more anxiety because I KNOW I'm screwing up and it's making me physicaly ill (bloating, diarrhea, TMI, oh well).

Phase 1 cannot be salvaged at this point.

Tomorrow I have to be at two different cookouts... so, I'm not even going to bother trying to start again tomorrow. I already know I won't be able to do it and I'll be mentally beating myself up when I get home, and then I'll tear into the rest of the cheesecake I have (yes, I have cheesecake, like I said I have been binging and acting crazy. I really DO understand now how things with bad carbs make you binge later, it is clear as day to me now that SBD is the right way to go and that Dr Agatson really knows what he's talking about. He's no damn quack for sure.) So, I've got to get back OP on Monday, get some more lettuce for salads, and a few other items, and GET BACK ON THE WAGON.

God, I'm like an alcoholic falling off the wagon, maybe I should join an overeaters anonymous. Now that's food for thought. Wonder if they have any in my area.

kshe78
08-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Melanie -

Because you ASKED for it...........

You know what you are doing wrong, and believe me, I've been there and done that a million times myself. But WHY can't you do well at a cookout? Grilled chicken......salad......fruit if you just shifted to Phase 2. None of that there? Great, take it WITH YOU. You can't rely on others to provide what you should be eating, so you could go, and take a good salad with you to share.

And WHY is the cheesecake still in the house? You fell off the wagon and had a couple of pieces. That happens. But WHY, after you were mad at yourself for those 2 pieces, did the cheesecake not go in the trash?

How many weeks have you been trying to do Phase 1? I know it's been more than 2 weeks, right? Maybe if you went to Phase 2, you would feel that you had a little more freedom, and then you wouldn't be 'cheating' so much?

You CAN do this - you know exactly what to do....I can read that in your posts. So it's just Melanie deciding when Melanie is worth fighting for. Big hugs and happy days ahead to you. :)

Fat Melanie
08-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys. :D I appreciate it.

CyndiM, I didn't throw away the cheesecake, but that's only because my BF ate it so that freed me from wasting it. (or ultimately, shoveling it in!) If he hadn't, I think I would have read you guyses posts and thrown it out. It would have been tough, but I think I could have done it. I'm not sure though, unless faced with it again, and I hope not to be.

Wife2abadge, that definitely sounds like me. I'm always like, 'well I binged and I feel like crap so I may as well start the diet back up so-and-so-day... and then keep eating like crap until that day.' There is no reason why I couldn't start back up today. You guys, I managed to avoid both of the cookouts I mentioned and thank god. I ate some blueberries today, which isn't phase 1, but way better than junkfood. Tonight I'm making frozen leftover turkey parmesan.

I have been seriously thinking about getting into therapy for diet issues as well as mental health issues.

Kshe, that's a good suggestion, if I end up going to a cookout anytime soon, to bring a huge salad (and then probably my own grilled chicken, since in the south, it's always fried or smothered with some kind of sauce.) Thank you for the straight-up talk. :D

So, today, I'm eating well. Tomorrow, back on phase 1 and I'm going to post in this section religiously until I have done 14 days straight of a CLEAN PHASE 1. I swear.

CyndiM
08-31-2008, 07:50 PM
:cp: Great job Melanie! Throwing food out is really hard for me too but I've had to learn to do it. I just keep reminding myself that my body is not a garbage disposal. Even good food like the half serving of food left from dinner is a problem. Before I just would have eaten it even though I wasn't hungry. Now either I figure out a way to mix it with something else so it makes a meal or I compost it. All that clean plate, children are starving in China crap helped get me where I was and I have to stop thinking that way or I'll end up right back where I was or worse. It ain't easy though. You made a huge step today now keep moving in the direction you want to go :) You CAN do it!

Fat Melanie
08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
"Clean your plate, there are starving children in China who would LOVE to have what you have on your plate, now FINISH it!" Yep, I've been told all of that stuff too.

Definitely not easy.

Thank you for the support. :D It makes it easier. :D

CyndiM
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
"Clean your plate, there are starving children in China who would LOVE to have what you have on your plate, now FINISH it!"

I was a rotten kid - I once offered to package my food up and mail it to China. My mother was so not amused ;)