UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

Question How's your skin?

This post contains words like pus & squeezing-be warned!

I seem to suffer with spots alot, not only on my face but also my back.
However, they arnt spots in the sense that they are pusy, like teenage spots, these are more like bites, or tiny red marks, similar to a heat rash, but because they feel hard underneath I try to squish them & just end up scaring myself.
I never really suffered with spots as a teenage, of course I thought I did, but it was never acne.
The spots on my back only appeared about 10 years ago and my embarssment about them restricts my exercise & clothes (ie no swimming or halter neck tops) more than my weight does.
I am now 5 weeks into my weight loss.
I am taking vitimins and eating more veg and fruit than I have ever done in my life, but the skin on my face is worse than ever.
I expected my face to break out at first, but then calm down and somehow be much better as the good foods kicked in, but this has not happened.

My boyfriend has been rubbing savlon on my back for around a month now and it has really cleared up, but my face is still bad.
I dont think that my back will completley clear up until I lose all my excess weight, but I didnt think that would apply to my face.
Savlon doesnt work on my face.

I have combination skin. I used apricot (blemish control) scrub on it & witchhazel gel on the particually red spots.
I also use toner wipes.

Dos anyone have any advice on how to improve my skin, or suggestions as to why my skin hasnt improved?

Many thanks
Bonjul

Last edited by Bonjul; 08-24-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #2  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

Hi Bonjul

I had a friend with exactly the same problem - appeared on her back a few years ago (ie not the teenage spots).

She was advised to drink copious amounts of water. She did and they all cleared up. She drinks 3-4 litres a day and she has beautiful skin now.

It seems like you have a healthy diet, but you didn't mention water intake. If you do drink over 2 litres a day thn I suspect that isn't the cause, but if you are a water avoider, this may be the key.

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #3  

Hmmm,
I hadnt really thought of that.
I only drink water or herbal caffine free teas, such as nettle, but I guess I dont drink too many.
Ive been up since 7am and I am only having my first tea now, but i did have a pint of water with my vitimins.
I probably do drink around 6-8 mugs of tea a day though.
Is this not enough then?

Last edited by Bonjul; 08-24-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Oh God I have the worst skin ever. I have dry skin, prone to spots with large pores. I mean what could be worse? I hardly eat fatty or high sugar foods, my diet is mostly veg and yet my skin is awful. I also get awful eczema on occasion, but if I moisturize my skin it just looks oily. I's awful, I feel for you bon.

I think though I'm going t up my water & see if that might help out.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #5  
Hatchling

My friend upped her water intake, gradually, to over 3 litres a day. 8 cups is certainly not enough. It may be best to buy a few 2 litre bottles and try and get through one each day to start with. Try it for a few weeks, it's a cheap solution.

One thing to note tho is that the first week of adjustment you may get a slight increase on the scales. This will be rewarded with a big fat loss the following week of continued drinking.

I did a water challenge a few months ago where I was aiming for the recommended 2litres a day. I gained 1lb then lost 4.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #6  
Burning it away

I have a really stupid question - how many glasses of water would you roughly get from 2 liters?

Some days I'll drink 1 glass of water if I'm lucky wheras other days when I'm more mindful I'll drink about 12+ glasses. No wander my weight fluctuates :/
Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #7  
Hatchling

I have never measured it out in glasses. I buy 500ml water bottles and try and fill it up a few times a day. It sits on my desk at work and at home and I drink from them.

The best thing to do is buy a big bottle and measure from there. If you have pint glasses in your house, then a litre of water is a pint and a quarter!

Lou

Edit. are you in the UK or from the UK? I have a variety of glasses, some tumblers, some high-balls but I have never been aware of their measurements. I think a mug (for herbal tea) is about 250ml, so you 'd need 4 for a litre

Last edited by x louise x; 08-24-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #8  
Burning it away

I'm living IN the Uk but dont like to buy bottled water for the plastic waste. I do drink from pint glasses so I think I might be just drinking enough Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I'm not a UK chick... but have had skin problems. Have you ever talked to your doctor about this? I'm on a couple of prescriptions that keep my skin clear. My heart goes out to you, I know how self conscience your skin can make you feel...
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

try neutrogena oil-free acne wash, in the orange and white squeeze bottle. I find it works wonders for my face. I'm not sure if they would have it in the uk, but you should take a look next time your at the drug store!.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #11  

We do have neutrogena in the Uk. I use clearsil wash and clinque clarifying lotion number 3. i also use facemasks twice a week- the blue corn one from the body shop is good. my ksin is better now but not perfect.
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #12  

WOW Thanks all!
ok, so i use that swedish forumla skin shrub and toner wiper, i ve tried so many things, it never seems to work, I am thinking maybe because i am 36 and they are mostly designed for teenagers?
I have also had tablets from the doctor, sounded something like fluxadine? It sort of worked, but as soon as I stopped taking them they came back.
I get alot of spots just inside my hairline, the ones that hurt and seem very hard but never come of anything.
LOU i am not drinking 4 pints a day, but I am going to try.
Do you think it has anything to do with stress?
I am stressed right now.

I am gonna start with the water thing & get back to you in a month & see.
Thanks all
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #13  
Hatchling

I'd be really interested in reading about the results of your water experiment!

I was also speaking to my Boyf yesterday and he said that he used to have bad acne on his face and back when he was a teen. He didn't drink ANY water and when his sister told him to drink loads, the acne cleared up.

It's worth a go.

I wouldn't rule out stress either, have you done a google search for symptoms?

Good luck

Lou
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #14  

I use Dr Hauschka

Tried it a couple of years back after hearing the buzz about it. Seemed a really cult thing and I was prepared to be cynical. But I was wrong!

All plant based, no chemicals, surfactants etc. It looks expensive but isn't - lasts ages. It's a bit different to anything else out there and is still quite a cult thing - those who have discovered it, don't tend to go back to using the other stuff ever again! There are different ones for different skin types and wherever it's sold they have their own trained person who can show you how to apply it... Even my husband who wouldn't notice if I had a radical change of hair style, noticed within days *Your skin looks brilliant* and I haven't stopped using it since - several years now. Can't recommend it enough. It's all ethically sourced and biodynamically grown and most of the products contain (and smell of) pure rose oil which is brilliant for your skin. I have excema and PCOS which affects my skin - despite being middle aged have the oily skin of a teenager because of my PCOS - this is the best thing I have found.

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 08-25-2008 at 08:58 PM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #15  
It's all about the fluff.

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have horrible skin myself and I still get spots, well into my twenties. I've increased my water intake since I've been exercising, and this seemed to help, but water can only go so far...I use Proactiv myself. I'm not sure if it's available for shipment to the UK, but the link to it is www.proactiv.com

I've used this product for several years and it's the only think I've found that keeps the spots at bay.

I hope you find something that works for you - acne can be so embarrassing

Last edited by everanderson; 08-25-2008 at 09:12 PM.
everanderson is offline   Reply With Quote