Fitness Videos - 30 Day Shred - August/September 2008 Starters

LessEveryDay
08-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I know there is another thread going, but those folks are several months into it. So, here's one for those of us just starting in August and September.

I currently have this out from Netflix until my own copy from Amazon arrives. I'm using a couple of two pound weights I picked up at Wal-Mart. I don't use a mat because I've been doing this in a carpeted room.

I've done the whole Level 1 routine four days in a row now. I cannot do the push-ups to save my life and the "jump rope" jumps kill me, too. Otherwise, I've been happy with how well I'm doing. I hurt less today than I did after my first day, even though I went hiking this morning. (OK, so hiking included the toddler and the baby, so it wasn't vigorous!)

I've lost one pound so far, but that was after doing the routines only twice. I swear I already see a difference in my muffin top, but I haven't measured myself.

I'm truly trying to push out these last 10 pounds for my mid-September goal.

jillnicole03
08-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Hi :) I'm not on the 30 Day Shred, but I did just get my Turbo Jam dvd and today is my 2nd day. It's a killer too! When I was thinking of 30 Day Shred I saw those push ups and was thinking OH MY!!!! lol Well I'd like to be your buddy even though we're not on the same video. :)

LessEveryDay
08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, sure, welcome. We're in the same boat, just different color, right?

Now that the kids are asleep I need to go do my workout. I've tried to do it when they're awake and it's just hilarious. My toddler daughter wants to do the exercises with me and can get in the way. If my infant son gets involved, it's even more hilarious. He'll try to climb up my legs if I'm standing. If I'm on the floor, he'll crawl onto my tummy and just laugh and laugh. How do you do a stomach crunch with a baby on your tummy? So, I'm going to try to always do this during their nap times or when Daddy can be on deck.

dsamy
08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
LessEveryDay: that is why I like to do my exercises in the morning. Did I say that my kid 5yrs actually puts me to sleep at night.

I just started shred using a set of dumbbels each is 2kgs. Today I missed the morning workout should be doing my 3rd session later on.

Did somebody say he hates push ups. well, you can't hate it more than I do. I also need to get me a goooood bra for those jumping jacks .....ouch.

LessEveryDay
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
So, now, I've done the DVD five times in five days, plus taken three walks for a total of about eight miles. And, today, the scale was UP two pounds! So, I'm back where I was a week ago. Hopefully, it's just a temporary blip. Maybe it's muscle build-up, so a long term good?

I have a lot less pain now from the workouts. And, in general, I'm making it through the workout less beat up. I've even noticed my pushups have improved, though I'd still rate myself a one or two on a scale of one to ten! I think I'll keep up with Level One for a bit yet, then maybe increase my weights on Level One before moving to Level Two. I'm using wimpy two pound weights. The side lunges seem to be a specific point of hatred with others, but I don't mind them so much. That might be because I'm using such light weights. After I graduate to heavier weights, I was thinking I'd leave the light ones by the TV for an occasional bit of toning while I'm vegging in front of the TV.

I do believe I'm seeing a difference in my muffin top which was my main reason for starting this routine, so that's good!

KLK
08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I was technically part of the other thread, but since I haven't been following the program, I play to restart it in September, Sept. 1 - 30 and actually follow the program through. :-)

dsamy
08-26-2008, 03:48 AM
did workout 3 of level 1 yesterday and things are getting bearable. still fighting with the side lunges and the push ups.

LessEveryDay: I read on another board that it is natural to gain a few pounds with shred during the first couple of weeks b/c the body is holding to water in order to repair. However, the water weight should disappear max. by wk 4. So, hang in there.

LessEveryDay
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I did the DVD for the sixth time yesterday. I made it through a lot better than I have yet and my muscles don't really hurt at all today. And, my weight was back to where it was two days ago. Thankfully, those extra two pounds went away.

I made sure yesterday to do the DVD while the kids were asleep. So, when I'm doing chest flies the cat comes by and stands under my arm, so I cannot go all the way down. She didn't stay long before she decided to jump on the nearby bed and watch me. I had just finished the very last exercise before the cooldown stretches when the cat FELL OFF the bed - right onto my EYE! So, today, I'm going to do the exercises when the kids are asleep AND I'll lock the cat in the laundry room! :)

LessEveryDay
08-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Today I did the Shred for the seventh time in seven days. I made it through the entire thing without having to pause from exhaustion! And, I'm doing the exercises more properly every day. I've never ever exercised like this in my life, so I'm not used to the rules like not extending your knee over your foot. So, every time, I pick up on something new from Jillian and do the exercises more correctly. For some reason, I seem to be noticing the weight lifts more though I'm still using my wimpy two pound weights. And, for the first time, I was able to do something that started to kinda look like a pushup! So far, I've just lost the one pound, but I'm still certain there's been a difference in my muffin top.

I don't know if I intend to do the exercises every day forever, but I'm afraid to stop. I'm afraid I'll lose the habit and one day skipped will become many days skipped until I can't honestly say I'm doing it any more.

dsamy, thanks for the note about the weight. It's interesting that you note that it should be gone by week four. Doesn't the package for this thing promise you'll lose like 20 pounds in the 30 days? (I'm still waiting for my purchased copy to arrive, so I've still only seen the no frills NetFlix packaging.)

dsamy
08-27-2008, 03:55 AM
LessEveryDay:

As for the 20 pounds and taking a day off, please note the gal who converted me to shred started wearing a size 12 pants. she did it 3x/wk the first week or so, then she used to do it 5 days/wk and take a couple of days rest. she measured herself after doing it 11 times and found she lost inches. by the end of week 6, she was wearing a size 7-8 and she only lost around 5 pounds.

please bear in mind the muscles, the body and the mind need rest in order to recover and grow and I strongly advise you not to do it 30 days straight least you would burn yourself.

right now, I can't do shred 5x/wk. I am doing it only 3x and sometimes 4. I guess I need the rest day in between. I hope that someday in the not too far future I would be able to up it to 5 but there is no rush.

LessEveryDay
08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I think I'll try to do Shred on weekdays and take weekends off. That's what I'm trying to do with my household chores. Maybe I'll get bored and get another DVD to alternate with. It seems like that's what some folks do.

Today, I did it for the eighth day in a row and saw a minor improvement over yesterday. My weight is holding steady.

dsamy
08-28-2008, 03:49 AM
as I said yesterday, my body AND MIND do not seem to tolerate shred every day. so, I do it one day on and one day off. However, I am having some constraints that would only allow me to workout on friday, sat., sun. and monday. Therefore, I should either start doing it 4days in a row or else do it only 2 and for the other 2 use tae bo (27 min. workout). Let's see how things would be solved.

however, if I were capable of doing it 5x/wk, I would have definitely gone for it till the 30 days mark is over.

Did I say that I finished the 4th workout yesterday:carrot: still battling with the side lunges. As for the push ups, I take a looooong time to place my hands in a push up position that I start with them when they have probably made 5 push ups of course, I don't finish also with them. Life isn't easy. is it?

LessEveryDay
08-28-2008, 08:58 AM
dsamy, how heavy are your weights? I'm still using my two pounders because that's all I have. But, today, probably after my workout, I'm going to the store and intend to pick up more. I'm scared to try five pounders, but I think it'd be silly to buy three pounders that are only one pound up from my current ones. I think the store only had two, three and five - well, and heavier.

LessEveryDay
08-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Oh, mercy! I got those five pounds weight and just used them for the first time on my ninth workout. What a difference! For the side lunges, I was more throwing the weights up than lifting them! They were SO much harder with the heavier weights. The other weight exercises were OK with them. I did have to do the butt kicks with my arms straight down to let my arms recover from the previous move.

My weight is staying the same so far. Tomorrow will be my tenth workout, then I'm taking the weekend off from official "exercising" though I intend to be active.

dsamy
08-31-2008, 04:25 AM
I am using a set of dumbbells each is 2kg ( around 4.5 pounds). Yeah, I hear you on the side lunges, they kill me.

starting last wednesday, I did shred 4 times on a row and I am TIRED. in fact, yesterday, I had to split the workout on 3 parts each containing the warm up and the cool down. I know that is not an official workout but is still better than nothing.

anyhow, now, I have seven sessions under my belt. If I manage to do another 3, I will go to the dreaded level 2. btw, I haven't taken off days starting wedn. so I may take a day or two during this week.

LessEveryDay
09-02-2008, 07:46 PM
So, I took off the holiday weekend because we were camping. We did take one four or five mile hike with a modest elevation change. We were about 4,000-5,000 feet above where I normally live. I did very well on it! I didn't get tired at all, even though I carried my toddler on my shoulders for about half of it. Last year, I know I would have been stopping and having trouble with this hike. I don't know how much credit goes to the 40 pound weight loss and how much goes to Jillian!

So, today, it was back to the Shred for the 10th time. I can tell that I took off four days. I don't think I did as well as last Thursday for the most part, but I still did noticeably better than I did the first day. I do think I did slightly better with the side lunges. My weight hasn't gone down any more, but I think my shorts that I wear all the time are getting looser in the waist.

I know some move on to Level Two after ten workouts, but my having just switched to higher weights means I still have some work to do before I "master" Level One! I figure I'll give myself as many as ten workouts with the higher weights before I open up the next level. And, when I do the next level, I may try to alternate between the levels at least for the first few times.

LessEveryDay
09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
KLK, how is your restart going?

dsamy
09-03-2008, 05:00 AM
I took 2 days off and did my 8th workout yesterday and yes I could tell I had a couple of days off besides I was severly dehydrated so I had to take several breaks and drank about 1.5 litre during the workout.

Overall, my performance is getting better ( anita's way) even though I think I'll never master those horrible side lunges. Thus, I may attempt level 2 tonight and see how things work.

LakeEffectKid
09-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Well, it seems I'm a bit tardy to the party! I posted this on the other Shred thread, but since this one is for people who've just started, I think it may fit better here.

I did my first day on level 1 today and I must say that I did not realize how out of shape I am (woo, that was embarrassing :o )! I'm going to see what happens if I try to do it 30 days in a row (since I get some form of exercise everyday anyway). If I'm not able to do it though I'm not going to push myself too hard.

I took measurements, weight, and a before photo for reference and provided I don't do something stupid like gain 20 pounds while I'm shredding then I will post a side-by-side. Who knows, right? It might be awesome.

Or horrible.

We'll find out. ;)

LessEveryDay
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Welcome, LakeEffectKid! You're funny!

LessEveryDay
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I just completed my 11th workout and it was a killer. If my workouts were graded, this one would have had the lowest score of all - even below my first. For the first time ever, I had trouble with the butt kicks! I had a really awful night's sleep last night - thanks to a screeching sick baby. So, I suspect my overall weariness can be attributed to that. I had such trouble with the cardio bits. For the most part, I did as well on the other parts as I did yesterday. But, I just didn't have the energy for the cardio.

My weight was the same this morning, so nothing to report there.

LakeEffectKid
09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Aw, Thank you, LessEveryDay! I try to stay positive, and when I'm positive I tend to get a bit silly. :joker:

I'm sorry to hear that you had a tough time, but I think the point is that, even though you were tired, and probably didn't feel much like doing it, you got up and did it anyway :bravo: . I certainly hope that the baby is feeling better :bb: and you'll be able/were able to get some sleep. Everyone has days when they're not up to spec. you'll get back on it, love.

P.S.
"It doesn't matter how slow you go. All that matters is that you don't stop."

LakeEffectKid
09-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Just got done shredding. I am dripping! I'm sorry, I know that's gross, but good lawd woman, I am hurting.

+I only had to pause one time for water (as opposed to three yesterday!)
+I made it through all of the cardio without stopping. (my weakness)
+The lateral lunges are noticeably easier (this is only day two!)
+I just feel tighter.

-Thinking of the amount of pain I was in today makes me afraid of tomorrow :o
-I can't do push-ups (not even the girly ones! I substitute a plank position.)
-I have to hold my boobies still even wearing two (2!!) High-Impact sports bras.

I'm feeling less dead after tonight than I was last night, so I'm calling it a victory.

Huzzah!!

JellyBean32882
09-04-2008, 04:09 AM
I got the DVD but have only done it a few times within the months and I cannot finish Level 1 for the life of me. I got low energy, and I get out of breath and find I have to keep stopping every minute. Sucks to be me, wish I had an energy booster, LOL

dsamy
09-04-2008, 04:49 AM
did my 9th workout yesterday and guess what IT WAS THE FIRST WORKOUT IN LEVEL 2.

even though I made up my mind and I actually did use the pause button many times and even though I did not complete all the reps.

I am sore all over. it even hurts to use the computer.....ouch.

LakeEffectKid: You sure are going to bring life into this thread. As for the push ups. believe it or not, before you know it you will be able to do it ( anit's way). I think I was doing it this way by the 5th workout. For me, the side lunges was and still is nightmare:mad:

Jellybean: have you considered doing shred 2-3 times only / week, using the pause button when you are totally out of breath, drinking water before, during and after the workout. just try and hang in there we will be shredding with you:)

LessEveryDay: Yes. less sleep affects the quality of the workout. hang in there and don't beat yourself up using the scale very often. why not leave the scale till you complete your 30 sessions and then weigh and measure yourself.

JellyBean32882
09-04-2008, 01:36 PM
did my 9th workout yesterday and guess what IT WAS THE FIRST WORKOUT IN LEVEL 2.

even though I made up my mind and I actually did use the pause button many times and even though I did not complete all the reps.

I am sore all over. it even hurts to use the computer.....ouch.

LakeEffectKid: You sure are going to bring life into this thread. As for the push ups. believe it or not, before you know it you will be able to do it ( anit's way). I think I was doing it this way by the 5th workout. For me, the side lunges was and still is nightmare:mad:

Jellybean: have you considered doing shred 2-3 times only / week, using the pause button when you are totally out of breath, drinking water before, during and after the workout. just try and hang in there we will be shredding with you:)

LessEveryDay: Yes. less sleep affects the quality of the workout. hang in there and don't beat yourself up using the scale very often. why not leave the scale till you complete your 30 sessions and then weigh and measure yourself.

Ya I may just have to exercise 2-3 times a week for starter then gradually do more. I may have to eat more protein too, lol

LessEveryDay
09-04-2008, 02:11 PM
LakeEffectKid, I hurt the worst after the first few workouts. Now, even though I've more than doubled my weights, I still don't hurt as much as I did in the beginning!

dsamy, I always weigh myself in the morning, but I don't beat myself up about daily fluctuations. I think I'd be more worried if I weighed once per week and happened to weigh on a high day! Out of curiosity, I'll even weigh myself at other times during the day. Even without clothes, my weight is often up FIVE pounds from my morning weigh!

This morning's weigh was down another pound, though. Yippeee! Even if it goes back up tomorrow, I know I'm on the way down. I find that very motivating.

LessEveryDay
09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Today was Day 12. I'm still on Level One. It was my fourth day with the five pound weights instead of two pounders. I got better sleep last night, though still not perfect. So, I didn't have hardly any trouble with the cardio today. I was able to make it through the first set of side lunges with actually lifting the weights. By the second set, I started having to throw up my arms some, rather than a controlled lift. I have been having trouble with tightness in my calves that hits me with the jump rope. I don't have trouble with the jumping jacks in the first set, but, when they're alternated with the jump rope, my calves don't get a break and it's hard. Overall, I'd say I've improved on doing Level One with the five pounders. I'm still planning on giving myself up to ten days on Level One with five pound weights before moving on to Level Two where I'll probably start with two pounders again.

Tonight, a four-mile neighborhood walk is in the cards and I'll do Shred again tomorrow before taking a break for the weekend. The weekend will probably include a good, though not vigorous, bike ride and maybe a moderate hike. All this other "exercise" includes the baby and the toddler, so won't be aggressive.

LakeEffectKid
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh wow LessEveryDay! I must have missed it in your earlier posts, I didn't realize you were using 5lb weights!:eek: I'm using 3.5 pounders and hurting like the dickens! You might be superwoman . . .

Well, I am less sore today than I was fearing I might be, so I am definitely chill with that :cool:. I will be giving the push-ups another shot, but I guarantee nothing! Out of curiosity I checked a couple of my measurements last night, post shred and I discovered something . . . interesting. I'll update that at the end of my 30 Days ;) .

I am actually looking forward to shredding tonight, so I'll be back with a post workout update when I'm done.

<3

tmil206
09-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi guys, I'm also doing shred and finished my 6th day on level 1 today.

Tori

LakeEffectKid
09-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, an interesting development at least...
I wasn't sore when the time rolled around to do my shredding for the evening!
That was a relief. I guess my body just decided that it knew I was going to punish it anyway, so why make the worst of it.

I didn't pause a single time tonight, but I still wasn't able to do all of the push-ups. I did the first set okay, but when the second set came around my arms literally wouldn't hold me up. We made a compromise and settled on a plank position. I'm all for extra ab work (I used to train my abs pretty heavily in HS so these one minute sections aren't doing anything for me).
I feel really good tonight.
I skipped Jillian's abridged cool-down and substituted my own, longer version. Hopefully that will help with any soreness tomorrow.

3/30 done!

LessEveryDay
09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome, Tori! Have you noticed the exercises getting any easier?

LakeEffectKid
09-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Not much to report on this shred, which is always good! Got a good sweat, got to feel the burn on those lateral lunges, got chaffed shoulders from my sports bra(s). The same deal with the push ups today; I did the first set, then switched to the plank for the second set. My favorite part of this routine is the chest fly, by far. I feel like such a beast when I do them! I actually wish I had some heavier weights for them. I'm also considering holding onto my weights when I do the "boxing" cardio, to maybe help recoup some of the upper body/arm workout I'm missing with that second set of push ups. By the end of it I don't know if it'll even be the same workout :lol:.

Well, anyway. Day 4/30 done and 'well on my way to being shredded' :carrot: .

LessEveryDay
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
So, now, both kids are sick, but the baby has especially been needy. When I finally got everyone happy and napping yesterday afternoon, I completely FORGOT to shred! So, I'm thinking I'll take my "weekend" yesterday and today, then start back in on Sunday.

I'm still down two pounds since starting. One day, I was down three.

andream
09-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi all. This might actually be my first post... I don't know. I'm a chronic lurker everywhere.

I've been doing the Shred (sort of) for about 2-3 weeks. I only do it 3-4 days a week, though, when I have the house to myself. I'm still doing Level 1, but I have tried Level 2. I find some things really hard and some too easy. The first day I did it I was so sore I almost died. Now, after maybe 10 workouts, I barely feel it the next day. I am thinking of moving up a level but I still have real trouble with certain moves. I am strong but my coordination sucks so I like the simplicity of the moves in Level 1.

I do pretty well with the pushups - I can do five "real" good form pushups before collapsing, so I usually get 3 sets of 5 done in each of Jillian's "sets". There is no way I could do them all the way through without stopping, though! Still, that means I'm doing 30 each time, which isn't bad, I guess!

I use 8lb. weights, which I find just about right. I do use a lot of modifications, though. Does anybody else do this? I don't necessarily modify it to make things easier - some of her weighted arm moves do nothing for me (bicep curls with only 8lbs??), so I swap in harder arm moves and keep the same leg action. I also find that the fake "jumping rope" portion of the cardio makes my calves seize up terribly, so I sometimes swap in the "skaters" cardio from Level 2. Actually, I have problems with my calves in all the straight jumping cardio moves, so when it hurts too much I swap around and do extra "butt-kicks", etc. Basically I am using Jillian's moves and her timing, but not in the same order. Does anyone think this is a problem? I definitely sweat like **** when I do the workout.

My biggest problem is with lunges. I fractured one of my kneecaps a long time ago, and I find it completely impossible to do forward lunges on that side. My knee twists and I feel all the weight in my joint, not in my quads/butt. I'm scared to do lunges on that side, and I don't want to do only one side! So I do squats or more side lunges (those work fine, for some reason!) when she does the forward lunges, and use the same arm moves (or harder ones from a higher level).

Also, I find her ab tracks not long/hard enough, so often I do an extra minute of abs while Jillian has gone onto cardio (or whatever), and then when I get up off the floor I rewind the DVD back so I don't miss anything.

Wow... it sounds like I'm not even doing the same workout, now that I think about it. Does anyone else modify this much? Am I just a control freak? :)

My diet is terrible right now, so I haven't noticed any changes on the scale, but I definitely see changes in the mirror. When I looked at myself in the mirror after my shower this morning, and sucked in my gut, it disappeared completely! I have 10-15 pounds to lose before I hit my "goal" but I am more interested in getting smaller and jiggling less than set on a certain number. I definitely see this DVD helping.

Long post, sorry!

Take care,
An

LessEveryDay
09-06-2008, 04:44 PM
An, I think your modifications are great! You're still following the basic idea and, most importantly, you're doing it! Have you considered pausing the video for a minute of extra ab work instead of stopping to rewind? I've wanted to do some extra ab work myself.

LakeEffectKid
09-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey andream, (I like your name ;) )
I modify Jillian's workouts a decent amount too, but I still consider it shredding. Like LessEveryDay said, what matters is that you're doing it. If you're giving it all you've got and getting a good sweat in, I'm willing to call it the shred.

as a point of interest, I also find the ab portions of the video a bit lackluster so I've been substituting the plank position for added ab work. Whatever rubs your Buddha and gets your heart a-rocking, I say!

JellyBean32882
09-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm still tryin to get some energy together to even do the Shred, even with high protein stuff seems my energy is still low. I started on some diff vitamins to see if it works cause my other ones didn't seem to do crap, LOL.. but they are called VitaClear, comes with Proactiv as a free gift, dunno if any have heard of it or used it but hoping they work. I had much more energy when I was taking diet pills in the past, sucks that they turned out to be unhealthy.

LakeEffectKid
09-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Super tired. Not much of an update :tired: . Day 5/30 done. My last day on the shred (assuming I continue everyday) will be the first. Super excited!

dsamy
09-07-2008, 04:53 AM
HI everyone,

this thread is getting busy.

did my 11th workout on Friday. took Sat. off and yet I am still tired in a good way:)

JeallyBean: Forget about the vitamins, the protein, and all the other excuses. go wear your snikers and start shredding.

JellyBean32882
09-07-2008, 10:35 AM
HI everyone,

this thread is getting busy.

did my 11th workout on Friday. took Sat. off and yet I am still tired in a good way:)

JeallyBean: Forget about the vitamins, the protein, and all the other excuses. go wear your snikers and start shredding.

Well I'm having a bad start to my morning because my USB card died in my computer and no money to get another one because nobody will freakin hire me.. so I will just have to take all my anger and SHRED it away, LOL

dsamy
09-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Workout no. 12 done :carrot:

JellyBean: go girl. How did you find it, are you still alive LOL

LakeEffectKid
09-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Woo! I feel like that guy that you bump into at a party who doesn't really seem to know where he is or how he got there, and keeps trying to find the door only to get sucked into talking about the Oprah book club or some ****like that. :dz:

Yeah. That's how my whole freaking day went.

BUT. . . I still got away for 20 minutes and did the shred. Today was day 6 and I must say, I'm not working up quite the sweat I have been in the last few days. I'm not sure if that's a happy thing :D or not but since I move forward to level 2 in a few days, I'll take it!

Nothing to report, getting easier, getting stronger. seeing . . . changes :s: .

6/30 done!

dsamy
09-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Workout no. 13 : Done :)

Lakeeffectkid: come on girl what changes are you seeing.......details please. BTW, are you doing the moves based on anita or nat?

LakeEffectKid
09-09-2008, 05:32 AM
My power went out right as I was about to start the shred. But guess what?

I did it anyway!:carrot:

Going by my watch I did all the moves (3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs) and still managed to get a great sweat going (better than the last couple of days with the video actually) because I didn't take nearly as much time between the moves as I do when I'm watching the vid and doing the moves.

dsamy: The only moves I'm doing Anita's way are the push-ups. For everything else (lunges and such) I'm doing them Natalie's way.
I was going to wait until the end of my 30 days (I haven't missed a day of shredding yet :D !!) to share the changes I've seen. But I'm just too freakin' excited :hyper: !! It's been seven days so I think that's a good interval for an update.

Only (only?) lost 2.6 lbs in 7 days; however. . .

My beginning measurements:
Chest: 45 inches
Waist: 34.5 inches
Hips: 44.5 inches
Arms: 13.25 inches
Legs: 25.5 inches

My measurements today:
Chest: 43 inches (-2 inches!)
Waist: 32.5 (-2 inches!)
Hips: 43 inches (-1.5 inches !)
Arms: 12.5 inches (-.75 inch!)
Legs: 25 inches (-.5 inch!)

So there it is. Those are the :s: changes I've seen. In 7 days. With 23 left to go. :devil:

abchdi
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone. I just started the 30 day shred a week ago. I had 10 pounds to lose to be to my goal weight and I am having a HARD time. My sister started the 30 day shred 3 weeks ago and is down 17 pounds... I am up 2. I have heard sometimes you gain before you lose... but now I have 12 to lose instead of 10... not cool. I do feel stronger. I have done it 7 times now, and can tell my stamina is way up. I have done all 3 levels at least once, and HATE level 2. I think it was harder than 3.

LessEveryDay
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Workout 13 done. Still at Level One with five pound weights. I went ahead and took off the whole weekend after forgetting Friday.

I was able to do the pushups the best EVER! I'm still doing them Anita's way, but they look pretty good! I almost touched the floor with my nose! And, with the side lunges, I was able to lift the weights all the way through both sets! It wasn't pretty, mind you, but I did it! I'm still having some tight calf issues and I have to leave my arms straight down during the second round of butt kicks because they hurt from the exercise immediately before. I still plan on moving on to Level Two after this week.

I haven't measured myself, though now I'm thinking I should have. I am still down about three pounds total.

Yellofly
09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I just finished day 2 of 30 day shred. Boy, can I feel it.

I actually see a huge difference between yesterday's first time, and today. I kept up with most of the jumping jacks, and actually did a whole set of butt kicks this time. I was so excited about it! (the rest of the time, I did a high-knee march to keep my heart rate up). First time I did the video, I couldn't do butt kicks at all, I was too wobbly and tended to fall over. (don't laugh! Okay, so maybe it is a little funny... I'm sure I looked like I'd been drinking)

Just curious - is anyone else having a hard time between transitions? I tend to get really dizzy and weird going from the mat to standing up. It sucks not to be able to get that first rep in quickly enough. :?:

-Yello.

LessEveryDay
09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
abchdi, I haven't seen much loss either. In fact, my weight has been the most erratic of my entire loss. I'm regularly bouncing between three different weights. But, I'd much rather be heavier with my improved figure than less without! My size 10s are getting loose and that hasn't been the case in ages for me! Keep it up!

Yellofly, I've had some mental trouble with transitions. :) But, physically, I haven't had any dizziness or anything. I had a fair bit of "feeling it" in the first two or three days, but, now, I don't have any pain at all between workouts.

abchdi
09-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Yellofly... I get dizzy when I go from arm curls to the standing excercise. I usually miss her first rep and just join in when I get my bearings. It isn't really bad, it just takes a second to get myhead straight.

Lesseveryday, I am fluctuating between 144-148. It is so frustrating. I think I'm going to stay off the scale for a week and see what happens. \

Those side lunges are the worst. I have really bad knees, so I don't go down far... but toward the end my arms will NOT go up. I found the audio option today that takes away Jillian and leaves you just the music... I thought it would be better, and eliminate a little of my profanities addressed at the TV, but I think it was worse because I didn't know how many reps I had left.

Keep up the good work ladies... it is nice to know I am not the only one hurting!

Dark Angel Jade
09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Ok ok i know its a tad late but i just got this dvd and am "going to start tomorow" i hate those words but i really do mean it, also going to combine it with a 3/4 mile power walk so im ready to go. Ive also been watching the Biggest Loser which has got me inspired too!
Wish me luck :D

LessEveryDay
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
abchdi, I'm scared to weigh myself weekly. If I happened to weigh myself on an "up" day, I might get REALLY frustrated that I hadn't moved in a week. At least with daily weighs, I know I've been 143 during that week, so I'm heading in the right direction. :)

Dark Angel Jade, we believe you! Since you've told us now, you have to! Yesterday, I had to run some errands during the kids' nap time when I normally work out. By the time I got back, they were awake and DH needed to get some things done that the kiddos had kept him from doing. So, I got busy taking care of them and making dinner. It was 10:15 p.m. when I remembered that I'd never gotten around to doing my Shred! Knowing that I'd have to admit that here got me off my rear and to the tele! :) Now, both kids have just fallen asleep, so I'm gonna do it right now. Really!

dsamy
09-10-2008, 05:15 AM
LakeEffectKid: OMG 6.75 inches in 7 days. that is an inch every workout. I am doing the happy dance for you :carrot::carrot::carrot:

TOM just showed up so I can't realy weigh or measure right now. I have to say my abs were looking funny during the last 10 days. The lower abs were surprisigly bigger than usual but now it is getting better.

LessEveryDay: the exercises seem manageable more and more. I hate push ups and can never do them. However, during the last workout which was at level 2, I did some push ups like nat in level 1 and just one like hers in level 2. I did not get deep but at least I am working at it.

:welcome3:abchi, yellofly and Dark Angel

LakeEffectKid
09-10-2008, 05:32 AM
dsamy: I know, it's crazy! I think that first week is going to be the most impressive (they always are) but I wasn't expecting anywhere near 7 inches lost over the whole 30 days! I'll check back in on day 14 with stats.

Shredded tonight (day 8). Everything is getting surprisingly easy :o . I took a "before" photo and I'm going to be putting it on my spankin' new 3FC Diet Blog right now. At the end of day 30 I'll take an "after" photo to see what differences there are. I'm still pretty heavy (TOM is looming) so I don't know if the difference will be visible in the pics or not. Hope so!

Yellofly
09-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. :) It's so nice to have someone to talk to about this.

I'm pretty significantly freaked out however, because after 2 days of shred, I've gained 3.2 pounds. :eek: Even during TOM, I only gain a pound or 2.

I just don't know what to do about it, so I'm taking a day off. I was expecting a little gain, maybe a pound or a pound and a half, but not this much!

I am so glad LakeEffectKid is seeing results, 'cause it's the only thing keeping me from stopping Shred.

Seriously frightened. I dread the Shred. :fr:

-Yello.

abchdi
09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Yellofly- I gained weight too. It is pretty frustrating. I am hoping that I'll soon drop the few lbs I gaines and more. I am going to give it 3 weeks... and if I keep gaining I might try something. I have noticed I am more tone in places... but I really want to see it on the scale too.

JellyBean32882
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Just because you gain in the scale doesn't mean you gained in inches.. If I gained a few lbs but lost in inches I'd be happy I wouldn't care.. don't worry so much ladies that scale will go down again, you are just gaining muscle that's all.

LessEveryDay
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Day 14 was done yesterday. It seems like I'm having more calf problems. I'm going to start doing some pre-workout calf preparations. I did all of the side lunges while lifting the weights instead of throwing them up. Whee!

The scale was solidly at 153 this morning. Since I've been bouncing around, I am actually delighted with that. I can't wait to see it start moving consistently DOWN!

andream
09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks to those who commented on my last post, re: modifying everything. I feel like I'm getting a good workout regardless! I never measure myself and rarely weigh (I am a lazy weight-loser!) so I can't say if there are concrete results, but I think my clothes look and fit better, and I FEEL stronger.

Speaking of which... I just did Level 3 for the first time. Yeah, I skipped 2 altogether. I watched both before I started working out this morning and Level 3 seemed to have a merciful lack of BOUNCING. I am so sick of jumping up and down. Also, there were a lot of bodyweight-type strength moves, which I like. I didn't manage to get all the way through (I crapped out half-way through the last strength track and just did my own cool-down/stretching), but nonetheless all my limbs feel like jelly, in a good way. I think I will stick to Level 3 as my regular workout for awhile. When it gets too easy, maybe I will do it back to back with Level 1.

Another thing I liked about this level is the lunges were un-weighted. I could actually do them! I had to do the "beginner" version that the blonde girl demonstrates, but still... I didn't have to modify! Actually, that was the best part of the workout. I actually followed what was on screen and didn't have to think up modifications!

- An

abchdi
09-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I am almost done with work and about to head home. I am DREADING the workout tonight. No real reason... there is nothing different about today... but I don't want to do it! I will... but I won't be happy about it. Just wanted to vent!

FrauJo
09-10-2008, 06:39 PM
where can I get this video?? It sounds amazing from start to finish! I'm in southern Wisconsin. Thanks for the info. Jolaine

LakeEffectKid
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
FrauJo: Welcome! The shred is a great workout (so long as you don't mind a little bouncity-bounce). You can get it at Target or Walmart or I think I got mine from the fitness section at borders (half off, yea baby!).
Happy Shredding!

LessEveryDay
09-10-2008, 07:16 PM
FrauJo, I got mine at Amazon. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127RAJY It took about a week or so to arrive with Super Saver Shipping. (Added some toner to my order to bring the total to enough.) I think it's probably on the shelves in Borders, Barnes & Noble and Hastings, too.

LakeEffectKid: Half off! You shop like me! I'm quite frugal.

So, today is did exercise #15. I wanted to stop with the warmup! Another dicey night with the baby caused me a little trouble with the cardio again. But, for the most part it went better than yesterday, as you'd expect. Two more days on Level One for me. Then, it's on to the Dreaded Two.

What are you all planning to do for maintenance? Keep doing the Shred every day or every weekday? Every other day, mixed in with Sweating to the Oldies? Move on to another video? Become a couch potato again?

LakeEffectKid
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
LessEveryDay: I love a bargain, yes indeed :yes: .
As for maintenance; I'm doing the shred as a way to get back into good enough shape to rejoin my dance classes. I did them for years in HS and they are so fun that you barely realize that you're pouring sweat at the end!

dsamy
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Tom arrived the day before yesterday and I was too tired to shred yesterday so I did some tae bo. I am taking a couple of days off working out and will be back on Saturday.

LessEveryDay: I am still at level 2 doing most of the moves, if not all, like anita. So, I still have loooong way to go. I am thinking either to finish the 30 days mostly like anita and then start another rotation geared towards nataly OR stay at level 1&2 till I am able to do all the moves like nat. still haven't decided. You could also finish this rotation and start another one using higher weights.

abchdi
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Woo Hoo! I am back down to my original weight (the one I started at last week). It's funny how I am excited to see the same number on the scale that annoyed me last week. I am hoping this is the start of my journey down 10 pounds. I can see a difference (especially in my arms) and I wish I had taken some measurements before I started.

FrauJo
09-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info, can't wait!? ;) I'll be back when I get it. Mean while taebo!!

Have a great one! Jolaine

amyliz35
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey there! I'm abchdi's sister and a fellow 30 day shred fanatic! I've been shredding for about a month now (off and on) and I've gotta say, I'm still sore every time I do it, I don't like to do it, I dread it, but I feel so proud of myself everytime I push through and get it done!
I went to the doc today and my body fat down 2% so far and about 16 lbs!!! I'll take it! I still have a long way to go, about 30 more lbs, but I really feel like I'll be able to do it! I feel stronger then I have in a long time mentally and physically.
I'm gonna try level 3 today. Kinda scared cause I think level 2 is **** on Earth!
I'm sure I'll have many new aches and pains to fill you in on in the morning! LOL

kellybelly10
09-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey guys - I just put in my order at amazon, and it has generally taken about two business days for things from them to get here, so I'm hoping to get started on Monday! I'm scared out of my mind. I've always wanted to lose weight but this is my first "real" attempt. Please please please throw encouragement and motivation at me every day. I really need it!

Yellofly
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

I'm so excited to see how many people are starting up this month! Good for you guys!!!

So I took one day off Shred, and today did Cardio Kickbox for the first time. I was darn intimidated 'cause I bought this DVD in May, and have always been too chicken to do it. I did the WHOLE thing!

That was a major confidence booster. My new plan is to do Jillian's Black 3-pack mixed in with Shred. I'll do Frontside, then Backside, then Cardio Kickbox, then Shred, then Cardio Kickbox. And repeat. lol.

-Yello.

LessEveryDay
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
abchdi, glad to see the scale moving for you!

kellybelly10, I had never once "exercised" in my life and I'm doing it steadily. You can too!

amyliz35, welcome and congrats on your weight loss so far!

I did Shred for the 16th time yesterday. I so didn't want to, but I did. It was easier again and I did more of the moves correctly. I was disappointed to see my scale back up a pound this morning. I first saw this weight two weeks ago, so, effectively, I'm on a two-week plateau! But, over the course of my weight loss sometimes a one pound gain preceded a two pound loss, so I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow. I need loss for encouragement! My weight loss Excel spreadsheet estimates, based on percentages, when I'll reach my weight loss goal and that date keeps getting further out. :(

LakeEffectKid
09-12-2008, 11:01 PM
LessEveryDay: I'm sorry to hear about your plateau! They are the grrrr :mad:!

I have good news and bad news. I was kidnapped Wednesday evening and taken to San Francisco for my birthday!!! We had a blast, got a lot of hilly walking in and had delicious organic vegan food for 2 days. Bad news (If you can call it that) I haven't shredded for the last two days. I'll be doing it tonight but not right now. I just got back and need to unwind.
:carrot:

abchdi
09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey guys... how is everyone doing. DId you all survive the weekend? I tend to eat more crap on teh weekends.... and as always did that this weekend too. I did the shred on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... but was still feeling like a loser because of the snacking... so I ran two miles last night to ease my mind. No change in the scale... still at the same weight I was when I started.

dsamy
09-16-2008, 04:30 AM
finally managed to get workout no. 15 done.
abchi: me too eat a lot during the weekend and that is exactly what is making me stall. I wish I could handle myself during those days.

I lost 4 inches all over my body since starting shred. hoping for more to come.

LessEveryDay
09-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I haven't posted in a bit because I've been busy and my laptop went kaput, so I was in the dark for a few days!

So, Friday went haywire and I never was able to Shred. So, I had a three day weekend (again!). But, I kept with the plan to start on Level Two yesterday. When I saw those walking pushups, I just about ran screaming from the house! I forgot to preview the workout first, so I was a few seconds behind the girls in joining in as I had to watch them first. I was able to do all the exercises and mostly keep up with them until the end. Initially, it was my plan to start with my two pound weights. But, they feel so ridiculously light to me now, that switched to the five pounders after a couple of repetitions. I did so well that I'm not sure if I'll even go through ten days at this level before going on. I figure I'll do this week for sure, then move on.

I will probably have to modify Level Two though. I don't know if it's old age (ha!) or pregnancy, but I get a little nauseous if I spend too much time with my head below my waist especially while jiggling around to those exercises! Level Two has a number of exercises that have you in such positions. When we take the kiddos to the amusement park in the future, I'm going to be the Mom sitting there with the stuffed animals and lunch bags, waiting for Daddy and the kids to get off the "fun" rides. :) I haven't had any problems at all with Level One where you're always upright or at least have your head no lower than your waist. Level Two left me discombobulated! So, I'm going to have to modify some of the exercises. I'll try to do something as difficult, though, just more upright!

My weight is still bouncing around in the same three-pound window I've been in since nearly the beginning. I'd really like the scale to move, but I know I'm doing better than if I'd just lost the pounds. My official goal date is the end of the year, but I had a "hoped for" goal date of this Wednesday. I have eight pounds to go, so that ain't happening. But, this past weekend, I did buy a couple of small shorts. One pair was ten (or five, depending on how you count!) sizes below where I started! I do clearly see a difference in my body and endurance, though. I think my thighs are much more muscular, too.

chiquita623
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
OK Ladies. Better late than never - I'm going to start Day 1, Level 1 tonight. I don't have any weights so will use a couple of cans of corn or something like that. I'll take my measurements to see where I started and where I end up. I believe I'll only do it during the week so it'll take me about 6 weeks or so to get through it.

I posted in the other thread but this one seems to be more suited to a beginner. I'll check back in tomorrow and let you all know how I fared.

abchdi
09-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Chiquita623: Good luck! I started with corn too... or was it beans?... I do't remember, anyway... it was a can and it worked just fine. Once you hit level three you will need actual weights though.

I was so tired this morning, and having done level 2 right before I went to bed, I just couldn't do it again. I opted to go ahead and do level 1 instead. I really struggled. I did it all, but it was harder than I remembered. I have now done 14 days and haven't lost a pound. I am stronger, and my arms look much better, but no weight lost.

LessEveryDay
09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Eighteenth time down, second time at Level Two. I did a lot more of the exercises today because I didn't have to watch the girls' examples as much and I didn't mess with the two moves that make me dizzy. I'm a lot more beat up today, too. I think I did rather well, but I certainly got a workout!

I can do the walking pushups okay without dizziness, but might have to substitute them, too. I can do the hip twists (or whatever they're called) just fine because I'm not bouncing around. I won't again do the plank-position jumping jacks and the ones where you're like a runner at the starting blocks. Both make me ill like a roller coaster would. Today, I just did regular jumping jacks during the former, though I tried to be really aggressive at them. As for the later, I think I'll do butt kicks instead.

dsamy
09-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Workout no. 16 : done.

Waves to LessEveryDay, chiquita623 and abchdi

chiquita623
09-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Thank you all for the Welcomes!!! I did my day 1 of level 1 last night and surprisingly enough I'm not sore at all today. Going to do it again tonight so we'll see tomorrow if I'm sore or not. I have to admit it was very tiring and really kicked my butt - but that's a good thing!! I'll check back in later today and also will let you know how I did in the morning. Have a Wonderful Wednesday!!!

abchdi
09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Good for you chiquita623... getting started is one of the hardest parts. I am thinking about taking a day off of the shred. I have done 10 days in a row and am getting bored with it. The weather is nice, so I'll probably go for a run, or go to the gym... but I think I'm going to take a shred free day.

Oh... I just watched the biggest loser... I am so glad she can't see me when I lift those weights only half way!

LessEveryDay
09-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Laurie, welcome! I was SO sore after my first few days. You must be in better shape! :)

abchdi, I've wondered if I won't get bored, too. I'm okay for now, but I may have to get a library of videos over time. I'm liking this DVD thing.

dsamy, wave back!

So, today, I did my 19th Shred, still on Level Two. I can't point to any exercise that seems way harder than Level One, but I definitely end up quite a bit warmer, sweatier and more pooped! I'm not having terrible difficulties with the five pound weights, though - less than the trouble I had on Level One when I first started. So, I assume my time with weights on Level One prepped my arms for it. I didn't want to do it today, but I did anyhow. I need to work on my modifications for those two dizzy ones. I tried a substitute today that worked the exact same muscles as the other exercise in that rotation. That wasn't a good idea as they didn't get a rest! So, I need to alter that plan.

My weight this morning was at the bottom of that three-pound range that I'm in and it looked like it wanted to go lower. We have an ancient (1950s?) scale that isn't real accurate. I chuckle when you folks post that you've lost 0.6 pounds or something. Me, I "know I'm "up about a pound" or "about to be down a pound". :) My calories were "really" low for a couple of days, I think, but with this computer out of commission for a few days, I'm not sure. I'm probably forgetting things I ate! Yeah, I know, I could have used paper, but...

mkat321
09-18-2008, 12:31 AM
subbing cause I'm starting the shred tomorrow. I'll be doing it 1x per day and alternating the Firm's TransFIRMation and Tao Bo Amped for my afternoon exercise and going to a civil defense style kickboxing class 2x per week. My husband will be home on R & R a week from Friday, and home for good in about two months, both God & the US Army willing, and I want to look as good as possible for his homecoming. We are also renewing our vows in April, 15 years to the day after he first asked me out and I want to look as good as possible for that.

chiquita623
09-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Good Morning Ladies. Thank you all for the welcome!! I didn't get to do my shred last night. I had to go to the grocery store so there was food in the house. So I'll do my day 2 level 1 tonight using my corn or beans as weights. The tops of my legs are a little sore but other than that I can report nothing else out of sorts. We'll see after I do it again tonight. I'd better get some work done. I'll be back later in the day. Be good to yourselves!!

SephyFowl
09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
I am going to start the shred tomorrow may I still enter this thread. I'm actually quite nervous since I haven't exercised in a couple of weeks... :( So I will let you know how it goes tomorrow!

kukristen
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi All!

I bought the DVD yesterday and did it last night... and then again this morning (despite the fact that I was sore almost immediately after last night's workout).

This morning my legs were SHAKING when I took a shower after the workout -- I actually skipped putting conditioner in my hair because I didn't want to spend any more time standing up than I had to...

So... needless to say it kicked my butt big time! (especially my calves, biceps and shoulders)

I took my measurements this morning so I can keep track. I've been frustrated because while my weight has gone down in the past month, my measurements haven't been keeping up -- so I'm hoping this will help.

Only 27 more workouts to go! :dizzy:

crazy4weightloss
09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I went out and bought this dvd today but reading these post you all are making me scared:fr:

chiquita623
09-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Lisa - it really isn't that hard. My problem is that I haven't done much lately so that's why I'm sore. And I really tried to put a lot of oomph into all my moves to try to make them count. Trust me - if I can do it anyone can!!!

LessEveryDay
09-18-2008, 06:16 PM
SephyFowl, I'd NEVER EVER exercised before this DVD. If you've just had a couple of weeks off, you should fare pretty well.

crazy4weightloss, just do it! It's been worth it to me!

kukristen
09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Lisa --

You can ABSOLUTELY do it!!! Take it at your own pace too...

The nice thing about it -- is that it's over in 20 minutes. It really does fly by... and think of all the good you're doing for yourself and how great you'll look!!! :cool:

chiquita623
09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Just got done with day 2, level 1. I'm a drippin' mess right now but I feel great!! It's amazing that when you really push yourself to the limit how great you feel when you're done and can say - I DID THAT!!!

Lisa - just do it!! You'll be amazed how much better you'll feel when you're done.

Good job to everyone else on working out today!! You all rock!!! I'll be back later. Gotta fix dinner and take a shower.

mkat321
09-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I didn't even make it through the first rotation of level one. My heart started racing like mad and I couldn't breath. Good grief, I was in competitive kickboxing three months ago! I am humiliated right now :(

kukristen
09-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Don't be humiliated... It's a starting point to work from... the worst thing you could do is just give up. Use it as motivation to keep trying and see if you can do one more minute than you did the last time you did it... Do what you can! You should be VERY proud of yourself for putting that DVD in and actually DOING it! That's a huge accomplishment in and of itself.
:hug:

LessEveryDay
09-18-2008, 11:36 PM
mkat321, yes, keep going. Tomorrow, your goal is to make it further than you did today - even a little bit.

Well, I just did Level Two for the fourth time; twentieth time overall. It's getting easier, especially as I see the changes in my body. It's motivating. And, finally, this morning, I broke out of my little three-pound pendulum rut! I FINALLY lost another pound! It even looked like my ancient scale was itching to go down another. Tomorrow, we'll see.

dorkabrain
09-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Thought I would stop lurking to say hello. I actually did 30 day shred a couple of weeks back for 4 days, but then a bunch of things happened that kept me too busy.

I've started up again this week and hopefully will be able to tough it out all the way. I just finished day 3 tonight despite being super tired. This time around, I've been doing it to my own music because I find that more motivating.
I use 3 pound weights. I get through the strength and abs just fine, but the cardio seems to be the big problem for me. I have such an issue breathing during it that I'm always so out of breath 3/4 of the way through.

Anyway, hello to all :wave: . Seeing other people going through the same thing is really motivating. I haven't yet measured myself, I'll probably do that tomorrow.

crazy4weightloss
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Finished day one:o hope I can walk tomorrow.

abchdi
09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey everybody!!! I see our thread is getting busier... Awesome!!

Today will be day 16 of the shred. I started 17 days ago, but chose to run on one of the days. I was really excited because I usually can't run a solid 2 miles. Well, I kept telling myself that if I didn't do the shred I wold have to really run like a fool, and I did the two miles without taking breaks!

Apparently the shred is really making me stronger! I think I'll do level 2 another couple of days and then go to level three.

LessEveryDay: I am so thrilled your scale moved. I think we are both working on the same pounds and it is encouraging to see it does start moving. I knwo I look better, I feel better, and my clothes fit better... but I am they type of person who like to see the pounds drop.

Welcome to all of you who are joining us!!! And keep going... we can do this!

mkat321
09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank you ladies :) My goal for today is to 1- cope with the ache in my inner thighs from doing full squats & not the 'beginner' squats yesterday, and 2- to do at least 30 seconds more than I did yesterday on the Shred :)

LessEveryDay
09-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Welcome, dorkabrain! Once I learned the exercises on Level One, I muted the TV and listen to the radio whilst exercising. It sure made the time go faster. I had a little trouble trying to keep the TV in view while doing things like push-ups, but, if I wasn't perfect, that was okay!

kukristen
09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone!

Sounds like you're all doing great!

Congrats LessEveryDay!!!! That's so exciting! :bravo:

As for me, I'm STILL sore from the past two workouts (my calves ESPECIALLY).... so I popped two advil and it's helping a bit. I was planning on doing my third this morning -- but I'm going to give my body a few more hours of rest and do it tonight after work instead. But I WILL do it tonight! :drill:

No, if I can just stop saying "ow, ow, ow" out loud every time I walk -- that would be great... :D

chiquita623
09-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Great Job to everyone for doing the Shred!! I won't be able to do it for a couple of days as I'm going out of town and will be back on Sunday. I'm on vacation next week so starting Sunday I'm going to do it every day and see how it feels to actually get moving and exercise daily. Keep up the good work Ladies. I'll check back in on Sunday!!

andream
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I LOVE LEVEL 3! Shredding is awesome!

Sorry, I had to get that out. I'm really enjoying it (as opposed to just cursing my way through) and my strength has increased by leaps and bounds since I started. It's HARD but none of the moves make me feel sick or sore in a bad way, so I can just burn right through without having to substitute. If anyone else is having trouble with some of the finicky Level 2 moves, you might want to try skipping straight to Level 3. The strength moves are definitely harder, but I don't find it impossible endurance-wise. I really like that, unlike the previous 2 levels, even the cardio has serious resistance involved. My butt and thighs are hard as a rock now, and the other night my partner spent several minutes mesmerized by squeezing/groping my crazy new arm muscles (go figure). I am using 8lb. weights for everything except the "clean and press", where I hold both weights in one hand and use 16lbs. instead. I really feel that one in my abs, of all places! :D

I think today was probably my... 15th day? I haven't been managing to do it the full 4 days a week I planned because my schedule has been so full. I have to take into account not only the time it takes to do the workout, but the shower I have to take afterward! I'm definitely seeing results, though. According to the scale I lost 2 pounds but I think it may be more. I never remember to weigh myself first thing in the morning, and I drink a lot, so I've often just finished a huge glass of water when I get on the scale.

Keep it up everyone! And to the people who think this sound scary... it's not! Once you start getting stronger it's almost fun. :dizzy:

LessEveryDay
09-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Hello, Shred Thread!

I was afraid I was going to miss yet another Friday! DH and I worked on some chores through the kids' nap time, then the evening started zipping away. But, I managed to get my Shred in with the whole family around. DD3 used my two-pound weights and "exercised" along with me a bit until she declared she was "too tired" and went and sat down. As usual, DS1 thought it was hilarious and nothing could contribute more to the hilarity than to sit on my stomach during ab moves! But, thanks to DH's intervention, I was able to get in the entire workout.

I've realized that that warmup neck rolls in Level Two make me dizzy, too, so I have to modify them even! Not including that, I'm modifying three exercises due to this issue. (I had to leave a movie once because the "jittery camera" effect was making me ill!) I had a couple of pauses tonight (excluding kid interruptions!), but they were very brief. I think I'll make it all the way through next time. Oddly, I have absolutely no trouble with the final ab move - the plank twist. I do make certain to keep my head relatively still and to make my moves as smooth as possible, though, to keep from being dizzy. Physically, Jillian mentions how demanding it is, but I don't have problem with it. I think I could do two minutes and maybe I will. :) But, I'm sure not sexy when I'm doing that move where you balance on one foot and lift your weights up while lifting the other leg. And, the move it's alternated with - where you "sit down" while moving the weights in a V shape - kicks me, too. I really notice the cardio on Level Two as being more vigorous. But, some of that may be my trying to make up for the fact that it's cardio moves that I'm having to modify. So, I try to make sure to be very aggressive with my substituted moves. I weighed myself this evening just after drinking two pounds of water and I was at the top weight of my little three-pound-volley. Usually, I lose 3-5 pounds overnight, so it's looking good to be at least at my new weight tomorrow if not one pound less!

I'll probably be taking my weekend off, as I usually plan, unless I'm feeling especially ambitious. The weekend will be busy, so that's not too likely! Next week, I'll keep on with Level Two, but I'll definitely start Level Three no later than the following Monday. That'll give me ten days at most on Level Two - using the five pound weights (so ten total) the entire time.

You'd think I'd be hungrier with all of this exercise, but my calories are drifting down! Over the course of this whole diet, I've averaged 1777 calories. Over the last couple of weeks, I'm at 1678. (If my calories seem high to some, please note that I'm nursing so can't be too low. Early in my diet, I got to a point where I was at 1500 calories and hit a big plateau!)

I also must admit I haven't been doing the cooldowns for Level Two. I always do every bit of the warmup and sometimes extras for my calves, but the cooldowns haven't seemed as useful. Am I asking for trouble here?

dorkabrain
09-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Way to go on doing the work out despite your umm....little 'obstacles' Lesseveryday. hehe

I literally just finished day four level one. And I was surprisingly chuffed with how well I did with the cardio this time around. Especially considering my bad knee has been whining at me all day long (it really hates jumping jacks). I was really considering skipping it today, but something was pushing me through it.

I accidentally forgot to do my measurements and right now I'm too tired, so hopefully I'll have those written down tomorrow.

I hope everyone else is going great with it.

SephyFowl
09-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Ok so take two on starting tomorrow! lol I figured I was going for a motorcycle ride today for 7 hours I shouldn't be sore so tomorrow I WILL start. :)

dsamy
09-22-2008, 04:16 AM
hello to all,

just a quick drop by to say I am still shredding. Good luck to all.

chiquita623
09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Good Morning Everyone. I did the Shred yesterday afternoon and really tried to put more into it by controlling my movements and stuff. Today I can feel it in my shoulders but it's not unbearable. I hope by controlling my movements it will help with the toning. I'll shred again this afternoon so I'll check back in later. Have a great Monday!!

abchdi
09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Hello everybody!

I ended up taking Friday and Saturday off... I just wans't feeling well enough to struggle. I did it last night, and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. I really thougth the break would make it harder to get started again. And I noticed a change in the scale at last. I am down 2 pounds today. I hope it isn't just a strange fluctuation, but actual weight loss.

My sister is down 20 pounds now with 5 weeks of shredding under her belt.

Keep up the good work!!!

kukristen
09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Happy Monday everyone!

It seems like I'm doing every other day... apparently. But with exactly a month to go until my trip (for a wedding in D.C. AND a trip back to Kentucky, where I lived for a couple years) and I want to be in the best shape I can be when I see everyone. I REALLY want to shock the heck out of people I haven't seen in two years..

SOOO -- that means I want to SHHREEDD!!! I always dread starting the DVD, but after the first cycle I'm like... This is going by SO fast... and by the time it's over, I can't even believe how fast it went. I have to remind myself that it's not that much of my time and I can do it so easily! (annndd... that I have a DVR and will not miss any TV if I stop for 20 minutes!) :crazy:

I did do day three on Saturday and, while still exhausted, I'm not NEARLY as sore as I was, so I think my body is adjusting.

I also tried on some jeans that have NEVER fit -- EVER... and before I lost this 30+ pounds, I couldn't get them past my thighs -- and the other day they actually freaking ZIPPED and BUTTONED... :carrot: :carrot:

(Admittedly -- With a little muffin top) So my goal is to get into those darn jeans with no muffin top by the end of the month!

Good luck everyone! (Sorry for the looong post!)

LessEveryDay
09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
kukristen - that's GREAT about the jeans! When I first fit in a size 10 again, I made a whole new post here about it!

abchdi, congrats on the loss! Isn't that motivating?

chiquita623, how did this afternoon go? Getting easier?

I just did the Shred again today, my sixth time on Level Two. It's getting easier, but I don't think I'm going to jump to Level Three early after all. Oh, and the scale was back up a pound again. :( But, at least I'm hitting that same pound from the underside instead of above! :P

chiquita623
09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Good Evening Ladies.

LessEveryDay - I did the Shred again this afternoon and it seems like it's getting easier. Of course, I'm only on day 4 of Level 1. I'm thinking of moving up to Level 2 in the next day or so. To tell the truth, I'm a little apprehensive about it. But I will commit to moving up on Wednesday. So there, I said it and I wrote it so I must do it!!

kukristen - great about the jeans. Funny how things like that really boosts your outlook on the whole exercise/losing weight thing.

Keep up the good work everyone!! We will get through this stronger than we were before starting it.

dorkabrain
09-23-2008, 02:44 AM
I had to take Saturday and Sunday off from the shred because after Friday's workout, I had a shower and had to sit down.....I then almost couldn't stand back up. My legs have been in excruciating pain since and I'm 90% sure it's because of the jumping jacks in particular.
I think because of my already existing knee/ankle issues, my legs keep rolling outwards once I've landed. Anyway, I didn't want to give up on the program completely so I thought I could replace the jumping jacks within the workout with running on the spot. Do you think this will still be an affective shred? I figure the bigger picture was to be getting your heart rate up alongside strength and ab training. So in my head it seems like it would work just as well, I just thought I'd ask you guys opinion.

Anywho, so I just finished day five level one (with the running in place instead of jumping jacks) and I seem to be sweating just as much. I find I've had a good workout if my hair is really sweaty and that it is haha.

Hearing everyone's progress in skill with the shred and changes in their body is SO motivating.

LessEveryDay
09-23-2008, 11:39 AM
chiquita623, now, no modifying that post to back out on your commitment! :P Level Two scared me before I did it. Hey, so did Level One. I had the DVD in house for a couple of weeks I think before I did it!

dorkabrain, I'm no expert, so I don't know if one exercise 100% replaces another. But, I still think you're getting a fabulous workout! I'm modifying several exercises on Level Two! I even get dizzy doing the neck WARMUP! You are NOT being a wimp if you have physical issues. Modify so you don't get hurt and keep going!

tferg2000
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I just started the 30 Day Shred and Phase 1 of SBD last Monday. I planned on doing the Shred 5 days a week with weekends off, but after day 2 I was so sore I could hardly get up off the couch, and that was with doing level 1. Anyway, I took off two days and walked 20 minutes on the treadmill instead, then back to the Shred for the 3rd time, and it wasn't as bad! I was surprised that I was able to make it through and not feel like I was about to pass out from exhaustion. Well anyway, today I finished my 5th day of the Shred and I do feel like I'm making progress, although I've only lost 2.1 lbs, which was kind of disappointing since people on the SBD phase 1 usually lose more, but I'm happy with any. I'm using 3 lb weights, and I don't think I'll be ready to move up any time soon. Those side lunges are tough enough with 3lbs!

My son is 7months old, and he's not quite mobile yet, so he hasn't been able to "join" me in the workout, (i.e. crawling on my belly for crunches) but he does think it's quite funny to see mommy jumping about and huffing and puffing! :)

OnceUponADrive
09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I stopped shredding a couple of months ago and was slacking on exercise quite a bit for awhile. I'm just getting back into serious mode and am working my way back up to the shred with some tae-bo. Hopefully I'll be ready to get back into the game in a week or so.

kukristen
09-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Happy Tuesday everyone!

I did day 4 last night and day 5 this morning... I have plans tonight so I KNEW if I didn't get up and just do it, I wouldn't.... so... yay! I love ticking the days off -- and it means I'm halfway through level 1! :carrot:

I'm not nearly as sore as I was when I first started -- the calves still get sore a little bit -- but at least I'm able to walk and stand up!

tferg -- I'm also using 3 lbs. weights and yeah, those side lunges -- aaaagghh!! It's definitely enough!

dorkabrain -- I too, if you notice from my first few posts, was in serrriouuuss agony because of the leg stuff. I talked to a friend who's a trainer -- and she said it's most likely the lunges. (if it's muscle soreness you're having a problem with, and not injuring yourself....) I also notice my calves talkin' to me during the "jump roping." I also stretch more after it's done. The first stretch she does during the cool down, I REALLY pull back on the top of my foot to stretch out my calves... and try to hold it for at least 30 seconds, and actually go to the other side and then repeat again. It might help you too. But if you really feel like you're hurting yourself -- you might be able to find some modification to keep your heart rate up. Maybe instead of the jumping stuff -- do the punches or butt kicks???

dorkabrain
09-24-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

@Lesseveryday, yeah I figured it was better to modify the move and keep going then injure myself and not be able to do anything at all.

@kukristen, I think for me specifically it's the jumping jacks that cause it because I feel the pain while I'm doing those. And then of course that same pain lingers for days afterwards. Where as I've never really had any trouble with lunges. It's definitely more of a bone pain thing than a muscle soreness.

I was just in the middle of Day 6 level 1 when I had to stop. I think it's gotten to the point where all the jumping movements are hurting me and I literally felt like my right knee was going to pop out of place. It's really bumming me out that I have the stamina to get through this but my body seems to not want me to :(

I thought I might skip ahead to level 2 tomorrow because I really don't want to give up completely, but I doubt I can handle all this jumping without jeopardising my health. It seems like level 2 has less jumping, but just as intense a workout and I definitely want to keep up the intensity.

I'm just so sick of not being able to do things exactly so because of my stupid legs. I always want to run on the treadmill at the gym, but the shin splints are so intense I feel like my ankles will snap right off. And now this ggrrrrr. Sorry, just had to vent heh

Hope everyone else is having a better time of it.

abchdi
09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Okay last night was my 18th shred. I was encouraged by the two pounds off, but am discouraged by the fact that I find myself once again right where I started. I know I am a healthy weight and these last pounds are just "vanity pounds" but it is annoying. My clothes are looser everyday... so I am trying to focus on that, and my push-ups are getting really good... but I wish that stupid scale would reflect my work!

Oh well... I am thinking I will try level three again tonight.

Good work everybody! I am impressed!

jkzoochick
09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Hello shredders! I just completed the first workout and can't believe how many times I had to stop and catch up, it totally kicked my butt. I just started turbo jam last week and am finally getting up to speed with the moves, but the shred is a different animal. Are we supposed to do it everyday? I can't imagine being ready for level 2 any time soon. Am really inspired by you all, hope to see some serious results.

kukristen
09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey shredders!

I had the WORST headache last night... and had every intention of sleeping it off.. waking up and doing some shredding... but... wouldn't you know it?! My lovely monthly visitor decided to arrive this morning and I was miisserrable... So I took a couple pamprin and decided to rest this morning and do it when I get home from work tonight... I will not let it get in the way of my shredding!

(of course the scale was up this morning too... ahhh bloat... it's LOVELY)

aggghh... :rolleyes:

Hope all of you have a better start to your day than I am! :dizzy:

tferg2000
09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi All,

Today was day 6 for me on the Shred, level 1 with my 3 lb weights. It's getting better...I can actually make it through without stopping now. So, when Jillian says that those on day 6 or 7 should notice a difference, it's true!

jkzoochick--stick with it...it will get easier. I tried TurboJam for a while, and it is tough, but for some reason the Shred feels more difficult. You wouldn't think 2 minutes of cardio could be that hard, but after the jumping jacks in the first circuit, I can't believe how relieved I am to be moving on to abs! Who knew crunches could be so appealing? I'm not sure how often we are supposed to do it, but my first week only did it three times, my leg muscles were so sore I couldn't have done it the other days. But this week I'm doing it every day during the week with the weekends off.

kukristen--sorry to hear your not feeling well, hope your feeling better soon. :)

dorkabrain-- be careful with your knee, I know its frustrating, but injuring yourself isn't worth it. Are you wearing some kind of knee support? That may help, and I have been using a really cushy floor mat that I bought for my son to play on, and that seems to make everything a lot less impact. It's the kind that fits together like puzzle pieces in 2 foot squares. I got mine at k-mart for $19 if you're interested.

abchdi--I'm really impressed! 18 days of the shred and thinking about level 3...great job. I'm having the same issue with the lbs not coming off, but I can see a difference in my clothes too, so I'm hoping the lbs will follow eventually. I think we're just replacing fat with muscle, which weighs more.

Well, on to day 7 tomorrow, I may try level 2 on Monday, but then again, I may not...:}

JellyBean32882
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok, does the 30 day shred help ur boobs shrink as well as everything else? I seriously wanna get rid of my big boobs, LOL

dsamy
09-25-2008, 05:32 AM
another shred session for me on level two.

I noticed that I can work my abs better in the last ab segment ( where you are in a plank position) if I am putting my weight into the balls on my feet and not leaning forward as much on my hands.

My eating has not been on plan the last 4 days:mad:

tferg2000
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Hello Shredders,

Another day of level 1 for me. That makes 7 days. Still struggling with the push-ups, now I know why my 7 month old hates tummy time so much!

JellyBean32882--I hope not, that's the last place I need to lose it, but usually the first that goes. It seems that those that want to lose bust inches don't and those that don't want to do...it's some evil boob conspiracy I think. :)

LessEveryDay
09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
This has been an odd week for me. Tuesday, I ran out for a quick errand during nap time and, by the time I got back, it was time to get ready to leave for our evening plans. And, we didn't get back home until REALLY late - so late it was Wednesday! So, I didn't Shred. Then, yesterday, we ran some more errands in the afternoon. No problem, I'll Shred in the evening. Whoops! Forgot we had evening plans last night, too. Again, we got back too late to Shred. So, I've missed TWO days! Today, I'm not going anywhere! I'm going to Shred hard!

I did lose another pound and it's stayed off for two days. This morning, it even looked like another might go soon. That was lovely!

I noticed at my last Shred that even my five-pound weights were getting "lighter". So, I picked up a pair of eight-pound weights while I was at Wal-Mart yesterday.

kukristen
09-25-2008, 03:20 PM
LessEveryDay -- Sounds like we've had the same dilemma the past couple nights!

I ended up going out last night, completely on a whim... and went straight after work... *sigh* (at least I didn't drink!)

OH well.... back to the shred tonight. And the laundry that has piled up...

LessEveryDay
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm back on the wagon. I did Level Two today again with my five-pound weights. I'm not sure if I've improved since doing it Monday. Right now, I'm thinking I'll still start Level Three on Monday, even though I missed a few days of Level Two. Maybe not. We'll see. :)

Jeans are still fitting better every day. I saw a bunch of ladies Wednesday who all commented on how "skinny" (their word) I'm looking! They even expressed a concern that I might get too thin! (My target weight - six pounds off - is just about the middle of the "normal" weight range for my height.)

abchdi
09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey guys! Good news... the scale still didn't move, but I bought a new pair of jeans on Saturday... and when I went to put them on this morning they were really big on me. So I guess my body is changing shape more than I realize.

I did shred # 19 last night... Level 3! It was HARD. I had tried it once before, and it didn't seem that hard, but I think now that I am not half assing the moves it is a much more intense workout. I did most of the push-ups and plank moves on my toes and not knees... and that made a huge difference.
I am skipping the shred today since I ran this morning instead.

tferg2000: it sounds like we are about the same weight with about the same goal. It is frustrating to watch the scale stay the same... but I keep telling myself I am getting stronger and healthier.

It's okay if you miss some... just start again. People don't drown by falling in the water... they drown by staying there. Sometimes life gets in the way... just pick it back up where you left off and keep moving forward. We can do this!

LessEveryDay
09-26-2008, 06:56 PM
OnceUponADrive, welcome!

dorkabrain, how is it going? Is your pain getting better?

chiquita623, are you doing Level Two now?

jkzoochick, are you keeping with it? Have you gotten over the initial soreness?

kukristen, are you back on the wagon?

abchdi, great news on the jeans! Maybe you can still take them back! I've bought a couple of pair of jeans recently in a smaller size than I'd expected.

tferg2000, you have a little one, too. My youngest is just past a year. His sister is three.

Today was my eighth and, probably, last day on Level Two. I plan on trying Level Three on Monday. I have a thought that I might make up for slacking earlier in the week by exercising tomorrow, but Saturdays are usually rather incompatible with exercising around here! If I do Shred tomorrow, it'll be Level Two. Today went well. I sweated more than ever! I don't feel that I'm an expert on Level Two, but I've certainly advanced.

We're doing this, girls!

kukristen
09-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh goodness Less... You caught me! I'm getting back on tonight for sure. At least my eating has been under control...

So, I'll do workout six tonight... and then seven tomorrow morning. I've come to realize I REALLY need to do it in the morning before anything else gets in the way.

I DID, however, take my measurements this morning... and I've lost inches since last week! :carrot: So I'm seeing the results already... which is DEFINITELY some motivation (other than my trip in October.. which is sneaking up on me faster than I realized).

I'll give ya'll an update on the measurements soon, if you're interested.

Everyone sounds like they're doing great!

(And good luck on level three less!) :hug:

chiquita623
09-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Good Evening Ladies. Hope you are all having a great weekend.

I was all set to start Level 2 but then life got in the way and I haven't been shredding for the past couple of days. So tomorrow morning, before I do anything else, I am going to start my Shred again. I know I said I was going to move up to level 2 but think that since I haven't done anything for a couple of days I'll do Level 1 tomorrow and see how that goes and then move to level 2 maybe Monday or Tuesday. That is my plan. I said it so I must do it!!! And you know, I feel so much better about myself and life in general after I do something for myself - like get in my exercise. Who'da thunk??

dsamy
09-28-2008, 07:03 AM
got shredded on Thursday and Friday.

Even though tht exercises are getting doable, I have no energy. could that be I am overtraining or do I have to look at my diet?

tferg2000
09-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

Today will be day 10 for me on level 1. I'm feeling bloated and crampy and don't want to do it, but I know it will make me feel better, so I will.

abchdi--It is frustrating not seeing that scale move, or worse yet move in the wrong direction! I lost 3 lbs, now I'm back up 2, so pretty much no change. I know I have some water weight, and I do know that my body is changing, but it's still disappointing to see the scale just stuck in the same place. I'll stick with it though! I'm sure I'm getting healthier.

Less--sounds like you have your hands full with your 2 little ones. I know mine keeps me pretty busy and he's only 7months. He's just now starting to get mobile, so I know I'm in for much busier days ahead!

kukristen--congrats on the measurements! I need to check mine, maybe that will compensate for the scale not moving.

Off to shred now before I get caught up in the day and run out of time.

chiquita623
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Did Level 2 yesterday - kicked my butt majorly!!!! But I'm gonna do it again tonight and see if it's any easier. I'll let you know. Keep up the good work everyone. I'll be back tomorrow.

JellyBean32882
09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
For the life of me I can't exercise with people around, even in the next room of the house, why is that? I can't do it outside obviously, lol

LessEveryDay
09-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Level Three today! I felt like I got beat up - even with the fact that I was late into every exercise as I watched the girls demonstrate. At one point, I was doing an exercise with weights and thought I could move up to my eight-pound weights. It worked great for a bit, but I had to shift back down since you use the weights SO much on Level Three! So, I'm going to stick with my five-pound weights for this week.

I was able to do most exercises okay with two exceptions. I still can't do mountain climbers because of my dizziness issues. But, at the end, I noticed how Anita does them and realized that wouldn't shake my head so much. So, I may just do them Anita's way. There was another exercise that made me dizzy, but I think it was because I had my head down, watching myself. If I keep my head up and steady, I should be able to do it. One of the cardio exercises has you jumping up like a cheerleader, almost kicking yourself in the rear. I can't do that. I feel like I'm going to fall forward when I try to kick both feet up like that together!!! So, I just did my best. I'm sure glad no one sees me exercise. I look like a fool! I'm still doing push-ups on my knees, though I sometimes try to do a few on my toes. It's amazing how much more difficult they get on your toes!

Though my calorie intake is down, my weight loss is still stalling. My average calories are down about 100 from my average over the course of my weight loss. Maybe I need to go lower? There are some variables, though. Obviously, 45 pounds ago, I burned more calories just living! And, at the start, DS was nursing more. So, my calorie burning factory is smaller now and I don't have as much of a nursing advantage. But, I'm more active now in general and I'm shredding five times (well, four some times!) per week! I so want to get rid of these last five pounds!

tferg2000
09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I ended up doing level 2 yesterday and it kicked my butt! I tried it again this morning, and while it wasn't pretty, I did make it through, so I'll keep at it.

Level 1: 9 days
Level 2: 2 days
Level 3: 0 days

kukristen
09-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Happy Tuesday everyone!

FINALLY got back on track and did day six last night. It was actually... dare I say... easy?? I mean, yeah a little out of breath at a couple points... but I was able to get through it all no problem... now I'm itching to move onto level 2, but I'll at least do level 1 a few more times and make sure I've got it all down pat.

Congrats to you level 2 and 3ers!!! :carrot:

(day 7 tonight!)

LessEveryDay
09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Level Three is beating me up! I'm making it through, but, WOW, it's killing me more than Level One did when my non-exercising self started this journey. I haven't had any muscle pain like I did when I first started Level One, but I'm surely pooped when it's all done!

The weight is hanging in there. I so want to drop a pound by tomorrow morning so my little progress sig below will have a lower number for 10/1! :)

tferg2000
10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Good morning shredders!

I just finished day 3 of level 2, and it is getting a bit easier. I've noticed some muscle soreness in different places than level 1, so I know I'm working some places that level 1 didn't touch, which is good. I'm still following Anita for most of the harder exercises, like the plank jacks, ugh! But I am getting through. Still with 3 lb weights though, I'm not sure I'm ready for anything heavier. I'm impressed with your 5 lb weights Less, and trying 8 lbs, you go girl! Great job everyone, we can do this!

I'm still frustrated with my lack of weight loss, and I'm thinking about adding 30 minutes on the treadmill per day, but just fitting in the 20 minutes a day has been a bit of a challenge. Maybe I'll try to get up earlier and do both. I think I need something to kick start my weight loss.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Level 2: 3 days

kukristen
10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
FINALLY did day 7... (at 11 p.m.!) and I feel great!

Doing day 8 tonight -- probably at 11 again (I have to watch the debates.. and grey's anatomy!) hahaha :)

LessEveryDay
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh, my! Did I miss Level 2.5 somewhere? Is it an Easter Egg on the DVD? Somebody, please, tell me how to find it! :) I'm four days into Level Three now and still whooped! I'm still having to pause during some of the moves - especially in the last circuit.

The scale is still plugging along. I've still only lost six pounds from the start a month and a half or so ago. Measured in pounds, the worst I've lost in any month is four pounds and I lost four pounds in both August and September. But, of course, that represents a higher percentage.

I did see a friend that I haven't seen in a bit today and he commented repeatedly on how good I'm looking! That was nice to hear. Since I'm not working anymore, I don't get to have lots of random coworkers making note to me. The folks at church do constantly ask me though and that's nice!

tferg2000
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I finished day 5 of level 2, and it's still rough, but I'm making it through. I refuse to step on the scale, the last time it said I had gained, and I don't need any discouraging news to throw me off track. I'll stick with it and see how it goes. Maybe I'll weigh myself in a couple weeks if I can hold off that long.

Less- I know how frustrating it is, but you've made such great progress from where you began! Of course it slows down when you near your goal, but you've done such a great job and really are an inspiration to stick with this!

LessEveryDay
10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks, tferg. I'm so glad I started this weight loss journey. I wish I'd lived so that I never had to!

Today was my fifth day on Level Three and my twenty-ninth day of Shredding overall. I made it straight through all of the exercises except one! It wasn't necessarily pretty, but I did it! And, I was doing the push-ups very well and decided to see if I could touch my nose. I was able to! Now, I'm still doing the wimpy knee-push-ups, but I could barely go down at all when I started this, so this is major progress! I think I'll start trying to do some of them "right". I even used my eight pound weights for one set of exercises - the one where you only use one weight. I plan to take the weekend off, as usual, then keep working on improving how I do Level Three next week. At some point, I plan to move to my eight-pound weights.

We need progress reports, folks! This entire page - covering this entire week - only has three posters!

dsamy
10-05-2008, 04:32 AM
still shredding but found out that I am doing it best if I do it every other day. guess I still have not much energy.

my eating plan is chaos. any body got "making the cut"

tferg2000
10-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Good weekend everyone,

I'm taking the weekend off. I'll continue on level 2 tomorrow, but I've noticed my knees are hurting a bit after a week of level 2. I'm not sure which exercise is causing it, but I didn't have this problem with level 1. I plan on doing level 2 for 5 more days, then on to level 3. Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend. :)

jmfan317
10-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I just completed level 1 day 1 yesterday and it kicked my butt. Today is day 2 level 1 and I'm so sore but I'm gonna push through that workout.

LessEveryDay
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Day 30! I've shredded 30 times now! As happened with both previous levels, I'm getting better at Level Three. I only had to pause once in the entire workout! I never said it was pretty, but I'm making it through. I'm still with my five pound weights except for the one one-weight exercise where I'm using my eight pound weights.

I FINALLY lost another pound. It took ten days, but it was so grand! I'm now four pounds from goal and the second digit of my weight matches goal! This past week, some ladies at church cautioned that I not lose too much! It's so funny. I'm still not at the mid-point of "normal" BMI (my goal) and I'd have to lose another 20 pounds after that to reach the bottom of "normal" BMI. So, I'm far from having to worry about being too skinny! Maybe my Shredded body is fooling them! :P

dorkabrain
10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Sorry to take so long to reply. Unfortunately I had to stop doing the 30 Day Shred all together because I could just feel that I was doing more damage than good. Even worse is that with all that killing myself I was doing while on the program, I put on 8 pounds!!! uggghhh. Anyway, I'm now using my eliptical and have just picked up wii fit so I'll hopefully have better, less painful results on those.

Good luck to everyone.
@lesseveryday way to go on almost reaching your goal AND on doing all 30 days.

tferg2000
10-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Great job Less! I'm impressed. I'm still plugging along on level 2 with 3 lb weights, but I found my other 5 lb weight yesterday, so I may step up to those soon. I have 3 more days at level 2, then I'm moving on to level 3. I weighed myself yesterday, which wasn't a good idea. I haven't gained any, but I haven't lost any either! After 16 Days of shredding and over 3 weeks on the South Beach diet, I thought I would see better results. Only 2 lbs total for the entire time. Ugh, very frustrating. But, I'll keep at it and hopefully start losing soon.

Level 2: 7 days

jmfan317
10-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Day 4 complete only took 2 breaks this time between the jump rope and the jumpin jacks.

LessEveryDay
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Welcome, mjlov.

Keep the faith, tferg! I know you must be looking better!

I did day 31 of the 30 Day Shred, so I'm on the "Other Side". :) It was easier today. I think that tomorrow I'll step up some of the Level Three exercises to Natalie's level and will introduce my heavier eight-pound weights. I'm less beat up today.

tferg2000
10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks Less, I'm still at it, just feeling a bit down yesterday. But I woke up and decided to kick it up a bit. I did level 3 yesterday, level 2 was killing my knees for some reason, I think it was the static squats, anyway, level 3 wasn't as bad. I woke up this morning and walked a mile on the treadmill at an incline, and now I'm about to do day 2 of level 3. I'm sticking with my SBD phase 2 eating plan, so I figure if I up my activity, maybe it will kick start my weight loss. It's not rocket science, right? Eat less, exercise more? I'll give it a try for a while.

Less- Congrats on being over day 30! And thanks for the encouragement.

mjluva- good job. that's the part that always got me too, the jumping jacks and jump rope, but by day 6 or 7 I really noticed a difference and was able to get through it without breaks. Stick with it, and it will get easier!

jmfan317
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Day 6 level 1 complete. I made it through the workout without stopping. It was AWESOME and I have so much energy. I'm still sweating from doin this workout.

tferg2000
10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Shredders,

Just finished level 3 for the 3rd time. I've also added 20 minutes on the treadmill to my morning routine. Something's gotta give! I weighed again this morning, and I'm back up a pound! Ugh. So after 19 days of shredding and almost 4 weeks on South Beach, I've lost 1 lb?! I am getting fitter though. I took my measurements, and I am losing inches, but still discouraging with no weight loss. Okay, enough whining, sorry, I just needed to vent. I'll probably take Sat and Sunday off, it's difficult with DH home. But I'll be back at it Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend. What are you guys doing for diet? Just curious, I may need to try something else.

Less-Congrats on being down another pound! I know it's frustrating losing so slow with all this effort, so I know what a big deal that 1 lb is!! Great job. :)

mjluva- great job making it through!

Level 1: 9 Days
Level 2: 7 Days
Level 3: 3 Days

tferg2000
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Day 4 of Level 3 and it's getting a bit easier. Also added 20 minutes on the treadmill. I decided to keep this up for a week before I weigh again. Hopefully there will be a change by then. Anyway, how are you all doing?

Level 3: 4 Days

LessEveryDay
10-14-2008, 12:51 AM
33rd time today. I tried doing it in the morning and that worked perfectly since I ended up being gone all day! It was also nice to just get it out of the way. It was Level Three with eight-pound weights. I always expect to come back worse after the weekend, but I don't. I think my body must play catch-up on the weekend. For the first time, I managed to get all the way through the scissor moves! Those are killer!

I've been over a week at this weight and, some days, the scale looks like it'd rather show me back up a pound! :(

tferg2000
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, 22 days of the shred, and I am noticing some significant differences in the way my clothes are fitting. Hurray! I put on a pair of pants that I tried on a month ago and then put them away with my skinnier clothes. Anyway, they fit today! I still haven't gotten on the scale, it seems to be more discouraging than anything, so I will concentrate on the noticeable differences as opposed to the scale changes for now.

Less- hang in there, I'm sure your noticing a difference too, even if it's not on the scale! You've come so far, hang in there!

Level 3: 6 Days

LessEveryDay
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks, tferg! I've been 10 days at this weight now! I'm four pounds from goal and it's feels like I'm on one of those math charts where the graph approaches zero, but never quite gets there.

I had to take a break yesterday. I think I pulled a muscle in my leg. I don't know if I did it Shredding, but I certainly new Shredding wouldn't help. I haven't had much trouble with it today, so I may try to Shred here in a bit.

That's so wonderful about the clothes! Doesn't that just feel great?! I managed to comfortably put on a 5/6 pair of jeans today! This weekend, I had to buy some new jammie pants because the old ones were driving me nuts. They were barely hanging on to my hips and, when I rolled over in bed, they didn't come with me! So, I had to jiggle all around to get them to come with me so I wasn't all twisted up in them.

tferg2000
10-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Hey Less, that is so funny about your pj pants, and congrats on the size 5/6 jeans. I also found a pair of size 6 jeans that fit and wore them yesterday, but I still have some size 10's that are too tight!? I can't really rely on sizes, but it felt nice fitting in to them anyway.

I finished another day of level 3 yesterday, and on Thursday I did level 1 and level 3, because my treadmill belt broke. I was actually enjoying the extra cardio from the treadmill, and I think that's when I started to notice a difference. I guess I'm in the market for a new treadmill. Mine was older and I'd kind of like to upgrade instead of paying $80 for a new belt.

Anyway, I'm taking the weekend off to let my muscles recuperate. I hope your leg is feeling better.

Level 1: 10 Days
Level 3: 8 Days

LessEveryDay
10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, I took of Tuesday and Wednesday because my leg hurt. It seemed mostly better on Thursday, but I took that day off for good measure, too! I got back on the wagon yesterday and, boy, did I feel it! I'd had three days off after only exercising on Monday after my last weekend break! In retrospect, I think I should have still exercised all week, but skipped or modified any exercises that involved my upper leg. I still could have done a lot of the upper body stuff and, with care, even some of the easier lower body stuff. Next time, that's what I'll do.

I've been two weeks at the same weight now - still hovering four pounds above my goal. I've gone two weeks without losing a pound a couple of times before, but never longer, so I'm hopeful! Of course, now, a pound thankfully represents a higher percentage of my weight!

tferg2000
10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Just finished day 9 at level 3 and it's getting easier each time. I really need to step up my workouts. I started to notice a difference with the treadmill addition. I'm still looking for a replacement on Craig's List. I'm hoping to find a good deal. I'm heading down to Atlanta for a meeting, so I need to get out of here. Just wanted to check in for the day!

Level 3: 9 Days

jmfan317
10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I've decided to do 8 days of level 2 since I did 8 days of level 1. I'm gonna do all 10 days of level 3.

LessEveryDay
10-21-2008, 01:47 AM
I missed today! I was all set to do it this morning, but, then both kids woke up. In the past, I'd mostly exercised when the kids were napping, but, last week, we stopped giving DD3 naps. So, I'm off schedule! I had lots to do today and just got busy doing it! Tomorrow, I have three social engagements including two overlapping picnic plans and one dinner for nine - at somebody else's house - that I'm cooking. So, I'm either exercising when I get up or it ain't happening tomorrow either! At least I'll get my steps in for sure tomorrow!

tferg2000
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Just finished day 10 of Level 3. I have three more days to go to get to my 30 Days, hurray! I bought a new-to-me (used) treadmill yesterday, and I love it. Much nicer than my other one, and I'm thinking about starting the C25K (couch to 5k) program on Monday. I've read a lot about it, and while I'm definitely NOT a runner, I think I'd like the challenge to see if I could do it. From what I've read, a lot of people go from complete couch potatoes to being able to run a 5k in 9 weeks, which would end right about Christmas time, so it would be a nice way to finish out the year fitness wise. I still plan on shredding, but maybe alternating, 3 days of C25K and 2 days of the shred. Anyone interested in starting C25K with me? (www.c25k.com)

I broke down and weighed myself this morning and hurray, a little progress. I'm down to 143.3. Only 13.3 lbs to go. Seems like it will take forever at this rate, but I guess slow and steady is the right/healthy way to do it.

Less- sounds like you've got your hands full! It's so easy to get off schedule, especially when you have little ones. speaking of which, I need to hop in the shower quickly before mine wakes up from his nap! :)

Great job mjluva! Keep at it.

Level 3: 10 Days

jmfan317
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Completed level 2 day 7 and 8 today. I'm moving on to level 3 tomorrow after work. I'm actually watchin it right now. It looks a little difficult but I'm excited to do it.

LessEveryDay
10-23-2008, 07:22 PM
This hasn't been a good week for me! I completely missed Monday, but did Tuesday fine. Then, yesterday, I had a huge headache in the morning. I drank a bunch of water and rested a half hour. Then, it seemed OK. I started the Shred, but only made it 1/3 of the way through before my headache was roaring worse than ever! So, I stopped and never was able to get back to it. Today, I did it completely again, but, wow, you can tell I've been having a rocky couple of weeks. I've already lost some of what I gained. I'm dedicated to doing it tomorrow!

My weight is still frozen in time, too. At least I'm not gaining, eh?

jmfan317
10-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Level 3 day 1 complete. That was sort of difficult but it felt awesome to know I made it that far. I know my thighs are gonna be killin me tomorrow. I did some advanced and some modified movements. Sweat was literally running down my face dripping to the floor. I'm using 5 lb weights

besita
10-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Level 1 Day 3. My muscles were screaming, I swear. But I kept going and feel amazing for pushing myself to finish.

tferg2000
10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
30 Days Completed!!! Hurray! It feels good to have finished the 30 days, and I really can tell a difference. I haven't lost much weight, but my body has changed, and that's really what matters more to me. Although, it would have been nice to have the scale move as well.

I'm taking the weekend off, then starting C25K on M-W-F and the shred T&Th. That's the plan anyway. I need to get some shoes with some support this weekend. Hope you all have a great weekend and I'll check in next week.

Less- sorry about your headaches. It must be the weather, I've had a headache daily for the last three days, but I've been taking enough ibuprofen and sinus meds to keep it under control. I hope yours gets better soon!

mjluva- great job making it to level 3! Level 3 really makes me sweat as well. I guess that's how we know that it's working!!!

besita- Welcome! I know that first week is tough. I remember hardly being able to get up off the couch for a couple of days, my thighs hurt so terribly bad. But the next week it was much better, and while there was some muscle soreness as I progressed, nothing like that first week. Keep it up, it gets easier like Jillian says...really it does!

Level 3: 13 Days

mkat321
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
hey all :) I was looking for a new thread for Oct/Nov starters since I'm giving it another go starting tonight but it looks like everyone is still here so here I am. :)

I'm also going back to following the Clean Eating program eating and weight training wise. The weight training primarily will have to wait til Monday as the kids are home from school today and I can't go into my weight room with them here. They just won't leave me alone or stop fighting long enough for me to focus. I'm locking them out of my room when I do the shred but when I go into the gym I'm in there for a good hour, far too long to leave them to their own devices and be that far out of earshot...

jmfan317
10-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Day 2 complete level 3. 8 more days and I'll be done. I love level 3 I like it better then the other 2 levels.

tferg2000
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I started C25K yesterday, and planned on doing the Shred today, but didn't get around to it. I did walk 20 minutes on the treadmill then did a 7 minute Abs video. I weighed yesterday and I'm finally seeing some progress...down to 141.1! Hurray! I'll be doing C25K Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and still staying with the Shred on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Hope all is well with you all! Hang in there and keep shredding, it works!

LessEveryDay
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Tferg, I'm so happy that you've reached 30! Yeah!

Hey to everyone else.

I didn't have a great week last week, but started this week pretty good. I did Monday and Tuesday first thing in the morning, but, this morning, the kids woke up sick and needed Mommy's attention. Maybe I'll get to do it later today, but I won't count on it. :( I can tell I had a bad week last week. It's amazing how fast it can go!

tferg2000
10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi all,

Just finished level 3 with 5lb weights for the first time. What a difference those two little pounds make! It really kicked it up a notch! I'll keep at it with the 5lb weights and then try to up it again.

Less- I'm sorry you've had a rough week. I hope your little ones are feeling better soon. Are you sticking with level 3 now that you've finished the 30 days, or are you alternating levels? I'm thinking about going back to level one with the heavier weights. Did you say that you were using 8lb weights?