View Full Version : Ground Flax

KO
08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
is ground flax allowed on induction?
Thanks,
Kierie

JerseyGyrl
08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, ground flax is allowed on Atkins Induction. Here's a great recipe for muffins:

Muffin in a Minute (suitable for Induction)

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda packet
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 1.5 net carbs.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 9.5 g. fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

KO
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jersey! and thanks for the recipe theres a similar one in the WLS forum but I didn't know the nutritionals.
Do you know if you can make it in a disposable cup? i'd love to make it at work!
once i get more flax I'm goign to try it savory!!

JerseyGyrl
08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Do you know if you can make it in a disposable cup?

I apologize, I really don't know about making this in a disposable cup...I got the recipe from another site.

Timlin
08-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I make mine on a double recipe, throw in a T of left over squash or mashed cauliflower and microwave in a ramikan that makes about a 5" round loaf. Easy to slice and toast. I don't mind them cold so I make up 3 (which is 6 muffins made on the double) and put them in the fridge so I have them for using for a lunch sandwich or for toast at breakfast. (Adding the extra T means you need to add minutes to the cooking time. A double recipe takes 2.25 on high in the microwave.)

Timlin
08-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I should add that adding feta cheese instead of the mashed veggies makes the bread smell heavenly when you toast it! :)

Taylor86
08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I am totally gonna try that! It sounds amazing!

I have only been on this lifestyle for 2 days and I love it! There is really nothing, like Tim said in another thread, that cannot be adapted to Atkins!

sweetshauna
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I just made this muffin for breakfast. It was great! :hungry:

Thanks Jerseygyrl:hug::thanks:!!

Megsmom
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
try toasting them! I've made these muffins for about a year now and just love them.

way2fluffy
01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
THANKS!!!!
these are great!

sweetshauna
01-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Here is another recipe that I found on Linda's low-carb. Its for Flax sandwich Buns:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/flax_sandwich_buns.html

For some reason it has not been starred as "Induction appropriate," but looking at the ingredient list I can't see why not (maybe you all can render an opinion on this).

I haven't tried it yet- I will though in the next 2-weeks and I'll let you know how it goes.

sweetshauna
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
I've tried the flax sandwich buns- its OK. I think that the recipe has a bit too much onion powder in it. I will try it again with less onion powder this time.

Shannonk1222
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I love the Muffin in a Minute! Its the best toasted!!!

sweetshauna
03-11-2009, 03:23 AM
I tried the flax pancakes on atkinsdietbulletinboard.com.

Delicious!! If you miss pancakes, google the recipe and try it. Pour on some DaVinci syrup or sugar-free maple syrup and your good to go!

~shauna~

DishyFishy
03-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I'll have to look for that recipe, Shauna. Thanks. I made pancakes at the weekend with almond flour that were pretty good too. Hubby wasn't too struck on the grainy texture though, so flax might suit him better.

DishyFishy
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
My variation of MiaM.

This is not an induction-friendly recipe, but it does make a tasty addition for OWL. :T It can easily be tweaked for induction though.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/FishPiccies/IMG_6255.jpg

⅛ cup (2 T) golden flaxseed meal
⅛ cup (2 T) whey protein isolate
t baking powder
t onion powder
t garlic powder
1 t butter
1 egg*
oz (15 g) grated full-flavoured cheese

*I have an allergy to egg whites, and hubby thinks the original recipe is too eggy anyway, so I use only one egg for two muffins. I find I can just tolerate the egg without getting sick. I make up the volume with chia gel**, and I'm really happy with the results.

**Chia seeds added to water make a gel that can be used in all sorts of ways. I get mine from Superseeds Organics (http://www.superseeds.ca/ss1/index.html).

izye
03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
That muffin recipe just saved my diet.

I'm only on day 5 of induction, but got home late tonight after parents' evening at my daughter's school, feeling too tired to face cooking or eating much.

KO
03-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I had the muffin twice last week both sweet and savory sooo good!

Oh_Canada
12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks Jersey! and thanks for the recipe theres a similar one in the WLS forum but I didn't know the nutritionals.
Do you know if you can make it in a disposable cup? i'd love to make it at work!
once i get more flax I'm goign to try it savory!!

The disposable cup would melt into itself.... it is plastic.... it is NOT made for Microwaves :)

fatmad
12-10-2010, 06:25 PM
tried it today, was quite enjoyable. My package of flaxmeal states there are 4 carbs, all from fibre in each 2 tblsp!. So I am wondering how that will help me with my regularity. Have been suffering with constipation, so was glad for this recipe. I mixed it in a bowl and sprayed the cup with pam. worked great. could eat this regularly.
thanks Kim, you are a great fount of knowledge

Linsy
12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I've made the 1MM with almond flour instead of flax, and put in some oregano/italian seasoning. It was pretty good made in a tupperware container and then sliced in half like bread with salami and mustard, not amazing though.

pattygirl63
12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
When we travel I always liked eating egg mcmuffin for breakfast so I decided to make a similar thing with the flaxmeal 1 mm and it was pretty good. I think it would also make a great ham sandwich.

mamarozi
05-04-2013, 12:48 PM
This recipe is just what I need for my meals!

NightowlAnnie
05-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes, ground flax is allowed on Atkins Induction. Here's a great recipe for muffins:

Muffin in a Minute (suitable for Induction)

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda packet
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 1.5 net carbs.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 9.5 g. fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

Awesome recipe..thank you for posting..can't wait to try it :carrot:

NightowlAnnie
05-16-2013, 12:45 PM
When we travel I always liked eating egg mcmuffin for breakfast so I decided to make a similar thing with the flaxmeal 1 mm and it was pretty good. I think it would also make a great ham sandwich.

Great ideas!! Thanks so much!!!!! :D

NightowlAnnie
05-16-2013, 12:48 PM
That muffin recipe just saved my diet.

Saved mine toooooooooooooooooo!!!! :cp:

franciejones
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I have never seen flax meal at my stores..just flax seeds? I hope I can find it at a store near me. These sound perfect for my breakfast

franciejones
05-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Just had one tonight! It was a nice change of texture and flavor! Thank you! I hope the fiber helps! lol.