Nutrition and Labeling - The end of an era and a HUGE dilemma...

rockinrobin
08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
WARNING: LOOOONG RANT AHEAD

:( It is a sad day for me today. Very, very sad. :(

Went to buy my beloved Danon Light and Fit yogurts about a week ago or so. Right away I panicked as I get closer to the yogurt aisle and see something amiss. Yup, they changed the design on the container. Soooo.... you know what that means? Yup, it's got a "great new taste" and 20 more calories. TWENTY MORE. Okay, you say 20 calories isn't so bad. But you see, the thing is, I eat a minimum of 3 a day. Very often 4 of them and every now and then even FIVE. 2 were for breakfast and the others for snacks. If you multiply 3 yogurts, that's just 3, times the 20 calories, that's 60 calories a day, 420 calories a week, or 21,840 calories a year. Now that's a whole lotta calories. Comes to 6.25 lbs over the course of year and that's only eating 3 a day. Keep in mind, I sometimes eat 4 or 5.

Okay, so I stockpile all the "old" ones, going from store to store, wanting to gather up as many 60 calorie ones as I can. Well, today they ran out and I had to cave and eat an 80 calorie one. AND IT MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT TASTE BETTER. It tasted worse in fact, much worse. Way too sweet and artificial. I check the label, it's gone up from 7 gms of sugar to 11.

:?:Why oh why did they have to mess with a good, no make that a GREAT thing? :?:

Oh and I called the company. Ha. They wanted to give it a sweeter taste. What are they kidding? Do they not know that nowadays people are trying to AVOID sugar???? Wasn't 7 grams more then enough? They are very sorry for any inconvience this may have caused me. I told them I've lost over 160 lbs eating their yogurt and maintained that loss for over a year. Sooo, they're sending me some coupons. Like THAT can make up for it. I think NOT!!! :devil:

I am at a loss. I have to rethink my entire daily menu. I always thought there was a possibility that one day, far, far, far down the road I would have to. But I thought it would be because *I* (G-d forbid) got tired of them. Not that they would change up the recipe - for the worse.

So now they're 20 calories more a piece and I don't even care for them. What's a calorie counting, Danon Light and Fit lovin' girl going to do???? :dunno:

mandalinn82
08-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Robin - I'm irritated too. I can't have aspartame, and they took their delicious, Splenda-sweetened yogurt and added in BOTH aspartame AND sugar! Meaning 20 more calories that I couldn't even CHOOSE to eat, because the only major Splenda-sweetened brand of yogurt on the market has now piled on every conceivable sweetener in the world into that tiny container. At least I checked the label after they changed it and saw the "aspartame" there, or I might have been really ill!

You can do what I do sometimes and will now have to do exclusively...1/2 a cup of nonfat greek yogurt and a pump of any manner/variety of sugar free syrups (made by DaVinci or Torani). You can make many flavors...pineapple, coconut, (or combine and make pina colada!) lemon, peach, vanilla, mango, strawberry, raspberry, and you end up with the same 60 calories, and more protein. They have Fage greek nonfat yogurt at Costco, even, and the syrups can be mail-ordered or purchased at BevMo. If you need portability, you can even make them all up for the week in little storage containers, then grab one on the way out the door.

Hey, at least with the sugar free syrup combinations, you're less likely to get bored, right?

CountingDown
08-19-2008, 06:51 PM
My solution was to drag out my yogurt maker, buy one container of Stonyfield as starter, and start making my own. I have actually enjoyed experimenting with soy yogurt too. It has been a blessing in disquise for me.

But yeah - I'm still mad at them for changing!

rockinrobin
08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh Amanda, I knew somebody here would be able to relate to me.

Yes, I forgot to mention, they added in all kinds of yucky tasting artificial sweetners. Grrrr. What WERE they thinking????

I've tried the Greek yogurt. It's not for me. Waaay to much like sour cream, a rare caloric food that I despise.

I've actually seen the syrups around and thought of you. But I really have no use for them, so I haven't bought them.

I've tried a couple of other brands of 80 & even 90 calorie yogurt and just don't love them. And when you eat as many as I do, or even one, you need to love them.

Well, I didn't come this far to just throw in the towel. I suppose somehow, someway I will come up with something. Won't I?

I know it sounds like I'm being a big baby, but really, I can't tell you guys just how much I relied on these yogurts.

rockinrobin
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
My solution was to drag out my yogurt maker, buy one container of Stonyfield as starter, and start making my own. I have actually enjoyed experimenting with soy yogurt too. It has been a blessing in disquise for me.

But yeah - I'm still mad at them for changing!

Counting down, we posted at the same time. Do tell. Do tell. How's the yogurt making going?

And maybe, just maybe if we all called Danon and logged complaints we could get them to change it back :crossed:. So, please, give them a call. I don't want to post the phone # here, not sure if that would be against the rules. If you don't have a container, you can call the toll free directory for it

mandalinn82
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Robin - you could do the same with plain nonfat yogurt, which is about the same texture-wise as the Dannon, and the sugar free syrups. They're still about 60 cals for the half cup and you wouldn't have the texture issue.

CountingDown
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I use skim, dry non-fat, soy (which I make from scratch with a Soyabella maker), or a combination of these. Different combinations actually yield different "firmness" and tartness. Sometimes I add more milk powder to boost the protein content (though it does boost the calorie count too)

I use agave or Splenda or stevia for sweetening, depending upon my mood and my use for the yogurt.

I then add fruit, jams, cereal, vanilla, SF syrups, whatever I feel like at the time.

I have a little individual cup Salton maker that I have had for 20 years. I ordered a 2 qt maker (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N25AGO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) that should arrive this week :) I will let you know how I like it.

There was a pretty good yogurt-making discussion (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136593&highlight=yogurt+starter) a few months back.

SkinnyDogMom
08-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I was hooked on the Dannon light and fit too. I can't have aspartame either. Activia light has Splenda only in it. They are smaller, but taste close to the light and fit. They have 70 cals each and 4 oz each. I am pretty picky about yogurt. Typically I just eat the vanilla flavor.
There was a Blue Bunny brand of yogurt that I used to eat when we lived in Kansas City area, but I can't get it here. My fav flavor was Pear Vanilla.

Glory87
08-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I definitely know how you feel, I bitterly protested to Starbucks about the removal of sugar free mocha syrup (I loved sugar free mochas!), I didn't even get coupons :(

BlueToBlue
08-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Oh Robin, I feel for you. :hug: I completely understand your distress. I'm not a Dannon yogurt fan, but I've had other products that I depended on be discontinued. (I still mourn the loss of Trader Joe's light chevre. I've put up a small tribute in the aisle where it used to be--similar to the tributes that you see on roadsides--and say a short prayer at it every time I'm in there). It really sucks when a key component of your diet is no longer available to you. There are many foods that I eat daily that I live in fear of this happening with. Heck, I consider it a major disaster if Trader Joe's or Safeway even just runs out of a product I use regularly.

You might give the Greek yogurt a try with the SF Torani. Adding the syrup changes the texture quite a bit--it gets a lot more liquidy and a lot less like sour cream.

alinnell
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Although I've tried the light and fit by Dannon, it wasn't my favorite. I can understand the too sweet thing...I can't eat Yoplait any more as it is just too sweet. While I really, really like Trader Joe's plain Greek yogurt (mix in my own fruit) I do eat Activia light quite often. I'm not sure of the calorie count on them--each flavor seems to be a bit different (60 to 70 each I think).

JulieJ08
08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Heck, I consider it a major disaster if Trader Joe's or Safeway even just runs out of a product I use regularly.

LOLOLOL. I feel like having a little temper tantrum right there in the store when that happens :o. Oh well, it's character building.

Lovely
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Ahhh! :( I wish I had great advice.

Though not the same, I know the panic of planning my breakfast for a week, going to the store, and then realizing they're out of what I need. There's hyperventilation, there are tissues, there's dread. "WHAT AM I GOING TO EAT?!"

May you find a swift & wonderful solution to this challenge!!!

rockinrobin
08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I use skim, dry non-fat, soy (which I make from scratch with a Soyabella maker), or a combination of these. Different combinations actually yield different "firmness" and tartness. Sometimes I add more milk powder to boost the protein content (though it does boost the calorie count too)

I use agave or Splenda or stevia for sweetening, depending upon my mood and my use for the yogurt.

I then add fruit, jams, cereal, vanilla, SF syrups, whatever I feel like at the time.

I have a little individual cup Salton maker that I have had for 20 years. I ordered a 2 qt maker (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N25AGO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) that should arrive this week :) I will let you know how I like it.

There was a pretty good yogurt-making discussion (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136593&highlight=yogurt+starter) a few months back.

Ya know, of all the things that I eat, besides my Morning Star Farms Chick Patties, which I haven't eaten in quite some time now, tis was my most processed and therefore easiest food to eat. I must tell you, I really liked not having to cook it or chop it or anything it. The most I did to it was put it in the freezer. The thought of having to start "making" my own yogurt, now that I've thought about it, really doesn't appeal to me. Though I thank you for the info. I will keep it in mind.

I was hooked on the Dannon light and fit too. I can't have aspartame either. Activia light has Splenda only in it. They are smaller, but taste close to the light and fit. They have 70 cals each and 4 oz each. I am pretty picky about yogurt. Typically I just eat the vanilla flavor.

Yes, I've seen the Activia. But it bothers me to no end, how they're smaller, by an entire third - 4 ozs to 6 ozs and still 10 more calories. I don't think they will be as filling. Certainly not as satisfying. Those 4 ozs will be over in a blink of an eye.

Amanda, I just might have to try the non-fat yogurt with the syrups.

Barbara, just not sure how those Greek yogurts would sit with me, even with the syrup, that's just how much I disliked them.

Today, I had a Breyer's light yogurt. 80 cals, 7 gms of sugar - and still very, very sweet and artificial tasting. Not good. I'm thinking of reintroducing oatmeal and an egg white omlette for breakfast. Just means more cooking. More pots and pans and zero transportability. :devil:

For my afternoon snack, I have a lemon and a vanilla Danon planned. We'll see how that goes - for now.

Thanks all for the sympathy and the suggestions. I knew you would all understand.

I didn't even mention it to my family, they'd all think I was more then a bit loon-y. Of course, they'd be right, but nevertheless..........

alinnell
08-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Barbara, just not sure how those Greek yogurts would sit with me, even with the syrup, that's just how much I disliked them.

Robin~I used to buy the Fage Greek yogurt which is really "tangy". Someone suggested I try the Trader Joe's brand, and I'll tell ya, it's like nothing else! Not tangy--great consistency--smooth--thick. The "best" mix in (for me) is frozen bananas (I wait until they're quite ripe, peel, slice and freeze them and then let them thaw for a while and mush them up in the yogurt--no sweetener needed). If you have a Trader Joe's by you, I think you ought to try this out.

TJFitnessDiva
08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I know how you feel....I really wasn't paying attention to the new containers when I went shopping the other day (who can with 3 young kids right? lol) and I get home and I find that they changed my light & fit yogurt!

Sadly I'm making my own mixture like I used to do when I was following the Core plan with WW...plain ff yogurt, some sort of fruit and splenda. Not the same but I get horrible headaches from aspartame.

txsqlchick
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Not having a sweet tooth, I generally eat plain yogurt with fruit. I love the tangy bite of Greek yogurt, but I've had trouble finding it since I got back from the UK. Anyone know a reliable source for it? Central Market had it, but it's so far away. Whole Foods didn't have it when I looked for it, but maybe they were just out?

RockinRobin, I feel your pain. My favorite foods have been "reformulated" before for "improved taste and texture" and it really irritates me. Coming back to the US has been a shock in that there is so much HFCS here that I find myself buying the organic versions of processed foods like ketchup and marinara sauce simply to avoid it. I don't mind a bit of sugar in my diet, but I hate HFCS. It tastes NASTY.

Try plain yogurt and fruit...I really like it a lot. I would put a couple of spoonfuls of thick creamy Greek yogurt on a plate, then slice up a pink lady or braeburn apple and just dip the apple slices in the yogurt. Mmmm...I'm making myself hungry!

rockinrobin
08-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Robin~I used to buy the Fage Greek yogurt which is really "tangy". Someone suggested I try the Trader Joe's brand, and I'll tell ya, it's like nothing else! Not tangy--great consistency--smooth--thick. The "best" mix in (for me) is frozen bananas (I wait until they're quite ripe, peel, slice and freeze them and then let them thaw for a while and mush them up in the yogurt--no sweetener needed). If you have a Trader Joe's by you, I think you ought to try this out.

Allison, I have no Trader Joe's nearby. The closest one is over an hour away. But thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday I ate 3 yogurts, one Breyers Light and 2 Dannons. And didn't love the taste of any of them. Ticked me off how I consumed 240 calories instead of 180 and/or how I got to eat only 3 of them, instead of 4. This is not going to work.

I think I may be giving the plain, non fat yogurt a try with some mix ins. It won't be the same thing, that's for sure. I really loved the fact how *instant* those yogurts were. And that I really, really enjoyed and looked forward to eating them. But, I've got to be open minded.

Megan1982
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I think we should all contact Dannon and ask for the old formula/nutrition back! I've heard a lot of people grumbling about this change, and I don't like it either! Maybe if they get enough negative consumer feedback about disliking the new taste and aspartame sensitivities (very legitimate concern!) they will change it again.

http://www.dannon.com/contact.aspx

Glory87
08-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey R - can you make a big batch ahead of time and portion them out? You could just grab a portioned cup out of the frig and it would be "instant."

And hot damn, you eat a LOT of yogurt! ha :)

mandalinn82
08-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I made plain yogurt with coconut SF torani and some diced pineapple today - it was OMG delicious.

rockinrobin
08-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey R - can you make a big batch ahead of time and portion them out? You could just grab a portioned cup out of the frig and it would be "instant."

And hot damn, you eat a LOT of yogurt! ha :)

I know!!! That's the problem, well it wasn't a problem til recently. I really enjoy(ed) it. I knew I shouldn't have put all my eggs in once basket with the Danon Light and Fit. I should have experimented and deversified a while ago.

I made plain yogurt with coconut SF torani and some diced pineapple today - it was OMG delicious.

So glad you found something that you liked! I am not a fan of coconut. But I will have to give the plain yogurt a try with some other syrup. Maybe next week.

Mel
08-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Grrrr....I ate the 1/2 cup 40 calorie servings of the Danon which have also been discontinued. I grabbed their new 60 calorie "More Fruit" version and didn't read the labels. Now I know why my sleep has been even worse than usual and I've had daily headaches.

It's too sweet, and aspartame does nasty things to my brain chemistry :(

Years ago, back in my "crunchy granola" days, I used to make my own yogurt. I wonder if I could even find my old Salton yogurt maker? But Robin, I agree, it was the ONE thing that I didn't have to chop, clean, or cook!

Mel

nelie
08-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Many years ago, I used to be addicted to the yoplait 90 calorie (funny how I still remember how many calories) sugarfree yogurts. I moved onto plain yogurt with frozen berries and couldn't go back to the individual yogurt cups. I also ended up buying a lot of small containers to make my own yogurt cups.

Now that I don't eat dairy, I will rarely have soy yogurt the same way and it is a treat. I have heard positive things about some coconut milk yogurts that I want to try and hope to find them today on my grocery shopping trip.

traveling michele
08-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry for your loss Robin!
I hope you find a good substitution soon.
I know how you feel (almost). I waltzed into Costco last week to get my usual lunch fare-- bean and cheese burritos and shrimp wonton soup. Neither of them were there. I kept going up and down the aisles aimlessly thinking I was missing them and panicking-- what am I going to eat for lunch now?!?!? I went back yesterday and my soups were there, but still no burritos. I hope they come back soon!!

tommy
08-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Robin- I noticed on hungrygirl.com in the "News" section for 08-18-08 there is a discussion of the uproar and a survey. Couldn't hurt to add your voice to the "nay!" folks. I feel for you. I was addicted to a major brand chicken patty that was lightly breaded and baked with real chicken instead of formed goop. It was my "go to" last minute dinner on a light bun with brocholi slaw on the side. Slowly but surely every store no longer has them. Never found anything close since then. Then I got hooked on the Weight Watcher's breakfast sandwich and that disappeared only to pop back up in a slightly different incarnation recently after maybe 5 years. Almost afraid to get hooked again lest they disappear again!

txsqlchick
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
It sucks when your favorite foods get discontinued but what's also tough is moving from one country to another or sometimes even one state to another.

I noticed a lot of women here seem to preach the gospel of Trader Joe's. There is not a single Trader Joe's anywhere in this entire state. It's one of the biggest gripes among the many that I hear from Californians who move here to Texas. It's like the end of the world to them. "NO TRADER JOE'S? But...what do you eat here?" Buuuuuh....food? That we buy....somewhere else?

When I came back here from the UK I was very much used to certain foods that are only available there, or that can only be had in very expensive specialty stores here in the US. Even things like meat, milk, soda, and apples taste different there. I attribute this to differences in farming practices and the fact that produce there comes from different places, but there is a subtle taste difference. Diet Coke here in America still tastes strange to me.

Readjusting my palate and rediscovering healthy foods here that I like has been excruciating. I still find myself mindlessly searching for brands and flavors of yogurt, cereal, condiments, salad dressings, etc. that were available there but not here.

Glory87
08-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Trader Joe's just isn't just food...it's CHEAP FOOD. Like the Milton's bread I like - 4.39 at the regular grocery store next door to TJ's - 2.39 at Trader Joe's. Or the Nature's Path organic pumpkin flax granola, also a HUGE savings at Trader Joe's. Plus, cheap produce! It's really kind of funny - Trader Joe's are TINY TINY little stores, the size of a good-sized 7-11 but so CHOCKED full of great, well-priced items. It would be really tough to go back to living without a Trader Joe's but I've noticed they've gone as far south as Cary, NC - there's hope for Texas yet!

txsqlchick
08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Trader Joe's just isn't just food...it's CHEAP FOOD. Like the Milton's bread I like - 4.39 at the regular grocery store next door to TJ's - 2.39 at Trader Joe's. Or the Nature's Path organic pumpkin flax granola, also a HUGE savings at Trader Joe's. Plus, cheap produce! It's really kind of funny - Trader Joe's are TINY TINY little stores, the size of a good-sized 7-11 but so CHOCKED full of great, well-priced items. It would be really tough to go back to living without a Trader Joe's but I've noticed they've gone as far south as Cary, NC - there's hope for Texas yet!

This is Whole Foods/Central Market country down here, plus I think many people on the coasts don't realize that Texans eat foods other than deep-fried possum and grits drowning in lard.

Glory87
08-25-2008, 02:53 AM
I love Whole Foods too :) but it's a really different kind of a store - huge huge huge, lots of wonderful, expensive selections (I like to call it "Whole Paycheck"). Sadly, there are only 2 Whole Foods in San Diego and neither are convenient to me!

My parents live in Texas (Atlanta and Kerrville) and I spent 3 years in Dallas so I'm pretty familiar with the state!

nelie
08-25-2008, 11:02 AM
San Diego does have a market that I am very envious of but unfortunately, I can't remember the name. (One of them is in Vista, I think Farm is in the name? ).

Central Market in Texas is awesome. I wish they had them here.

I don't go to Trader Joe's anymore because honestly, I do better with a mix of Whole Foods, asian markets, farmers market, and Costco. I don't buy a lot of name brand stuff, which is what Trader Joe's has cheaper. The generic brand at Whole Foods is extremely cheap and can cover most of my needs for boxed/canned stuff. Also, some produce at Whole Foods is cheap (although it needs to be sought out).

txsqlchick
08-25-2008, 11:48 AM
San Diego does have a market that I am very envious of but unfortunately, I can't remember the name. (One of them is in Vista, I think Farm is in the name? ).

Central Market in Texas is awesome. I wish they had them here.

I don't go to Trader Joe's anymore because honestly, I do better with a mix of Whole Foods, asian markets, farmers market, and Costco. I don't buy a lot of name brand stuff, which is what Trader Joe's has cheaper. The generic brand at Whole Foods is extremely cheap and can cover most of my needs for boxed/canned stuff. Also, some produce at Whole Foods is cheap (although it needs to be sought out).

I don't shop very often at either Whole Paycheck (near me but $$$$$$) or Central Markup (far from me and $$$$$$). My weekly shop would cost me twice as much at that place and it's impossible to find your way around because they make it confusing on purpose, and they play live music and have wine and cheese tastings and it's really NOT my kind of store. Grocery shopping is not a lifestyle, it's an errand. I don't need it to take up my whole freaking afternoon. :mad:

nelie
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
When we went to Central market, it was for lunch. I was on a business trip and I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the lunch choices. Everyone I was with wanted BBQ or something similar. I was able to get a nice sandwich from Central market. (I wasn't vegetarian when I was in Texas but I also wasn't eating a lot of meat)

As I said regarding Whole Foods, I buy things there that I can't get cheaper elsewhere which is mostly 365 brand stuff as well as some produce. Sometimes there are also some splurge items I buy that I can't buy elsewhere but those are a rarity.

txsqlchick
08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
When we went to Central market, it was for lunch. I was on a business trip and I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the lunch choices. Everyone I was with wanted BBQ or something similar. I was able to get a nice sandwich from Central market. (I wasn't vegetarian when I was in Texas but I also wasn't eating a lot of meat)

I didn't know they even served food.

As I said regarding Whole Foods, I buy things there that I can't get cheaper elsewhere which is mostly 365 brand stuff as well as some produce. Sometimes there are also some splurge items I buy that I can't buy elsewhere but those are a rarity.

So far there are only 2 things I've found at Whole Foods that I cannot find anywhere else that I'm willing to pay that premium on, and that's Israeli couscous and Wensleydale cheese with cranberries (more of a holiday season food item).

I'm not a fan of paying the premium on organic food because I think most of it is a ripoff. I used to grow a lot of my own vegetables and did so organically, but I'm not going to pay $9 per pound for tomatoes on general principle.

nelie
08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I only buy the organic veggies that are on sale at WF and that are cheaper or at the same price at a regular grocery store. The rare things I'd buy at WF versus elsewhere include some veggie meat items. The other thing is coconut ice cream.

I also forgot to mention that WF bulk section is awesome and is another place where you can save money vs any other store. I also do enjoy their veggie sushi which is cheaper than ordering from a sushi restaurant and is fresh. Buying the sushi is a rare thing. Overall though I think WF has helped decrease my overall grocery bill.

The central market we went to was in FT worth and had a huge area dedicated to prepared food.

Lisa Moore
09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Dear Members:

I see there's been some discussion earlier in this thread about Dannon's new Light & Fit yogurt. I work for Dannon and want to thank you for sharing your comments. I also want to make sure you have our perspective on this.
Dannon Light & Fit is still the lowest calorie yogurt available. Similar products from other major brands are about 100 calories. The 20 calorie increase, from 60 to 80, is mainly due to the new sweetener blend which now includes fructose. Fructose may add a few more calories but when we offered it to consumers in blind taste-tests, the vast majority told us it also makes Dannon Light & Fit much better tasting. We understand that this may not be everyone’s preference and are sorry if it’s not your preference if you’ve tried it, but it was the vast majority’s preference.
We know how important it is to watch calories carefully when trying to manage weight, and we also want to make sure we're providing the best-tasting, most satisfying products possible.
If anyone wants to reach us at Dannon, just visit dannon.com and click on "Contact Dannon".

Regards,

Lisa Moore

rockinrobin
09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Dear Members:

I see there's been some discussion earlier in this thread about Dannon's new Light & Fit yogurt. I work for Dannon and want to thank you for sharing your comments. I also want to make sure you have our perspective on this.
Dannon Light & Fit is still the lowest calorie yogurt available. Similar products from other major brands are about 100 calories. The 20 calorie increase, from 60 to 80, is mainly due to the new sweetener blend which now includes fructose. Fructose may add a few more calories but when we offered it to consumers in blind taste-tests, the vast majority told us it also makes Dannon Light & Fit much better tasting. We understand that this may not be everyone’s preference and are sorry if it’s not your preference if you’ve tried it, but it was the vast majority’s preference.
We know how important it is to watch calories carefully when trying to manage weight, and we also want to make sure we're providing the best-tasting, most satisfying products possible.
If anyone wants to reach us at Dannon, just visit dannon.com and click on "Contact Dannon".

Regards,

Lisa Moore

Thank you for responding Lisa. I just still can't quite fathom though why any one would prefer to spend an extra 20 calories, eat more sugar and eat MORE chemicals. Just doesn't make sense to me. And everyone I've spoken to, not just the wonderful folks here at 3FC, but those that I personally know, also agree that the taste is no where near as good as it used to be. It is no longer great tasting and satsifying to me.

I have come across many, many brands of yogurt with 80 calories in it. With less sugar and chemicals to boot. Danon used to be the yogurt with the lowest calorie count. They can no longer say that.

I guess the bottom line is, is that I'm hoping (and praying) that enough people will stop buying the product and they will switch it back to the old formula.

junebug41
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I wonder if it's more cost effective to cut it with fructose?

yoyonomoreinvegas
09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Blind taste tests are all well and good but, if someone is a label reader (like me), it won't matter how wonderful it tastes because it contains things I'm trying to avoid so won't buy it in the first place. I kind of wonder if Dannon has people (high enough up the ladder to provide input) who have actually struggled with and overcome weight issues?

Megan1982
09-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I wonder if it's more cost effective to cut it with fructose?

The old formula contained Splenda, and the new aspartame and fructose (not sure if the old formula had any other type of sweetener besides splenda). Aspartame (and fructose) are much less expensive than Splenda - looking at any sweetener aisle in any grocery store will tell you this.

junebug41
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I figured for that reason... I asked so that perhaps the Dannon rep would acknowledge that it was cheaper instead of going the "blind panel prefered it" route.

Wishful thinking, I suppose...

Megan1982
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I figured for that reason... I asked so that perhaps the Dannon rep would acknowledge that it was cheaper instead of going the "blind panel prefered it" route.

Wishful thinking, I suppose...

Yeah seriously.

Maybe enough of us will complain and it will be changed back... :dunno:

cbmare
09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey, it worked for Coke. Remember when they had to bring back the original flavor?

I thought I was losing it when I couldn't find it. I don't normally eat a lot of yogurt but every now and then I want it.

Now I have to research making my own.

Mel
09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I sent the company an email a week ago and basically received the same thing from Lisa Moore that she posted. I also noted in my email that there was a LOT of complaining going on at various diet sites, including 3FC. At least some one read what I wrote. I will NEVER buy a product with aspartame because it gives me headaches and keeps me awake. I still haven't found a substitute. How in the world does plain fat-free yogurt have more calories than the Danon had?

I bought the new formulation by mistake, and thought it tasted weird.

For me, 20-30 calories IS a big deal. I ate one or two EVERY day.

Mel

mothermavis
09-07-2008, 11:00 AM
We all have to find a new yogurt, if we continue to buy it, they will continue to go with the new formula. I was also good for 2 a day, one for breakfast and one in the freezer at night for a sorbet kind of treat

BlueToBlue
09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
How in the world does plain fat-free yogurt have more calories than the Danon had?

One reason could be that the Dannon was/is bulked up with artificial sweeteners (and possibly other ingredients to add bulk, such as modified food starch, inulin, polydextrose, and other pseudo fiber substitutes that have questionable, if any, nutritional value--there was a big article on this in the last Nutrition Action newsletter). These ingredients have volume and weight but few or no calories (or nutritional value). So you're getting more yogurt (and more nutrition) for the same volume/weight with the plain, fat-free yogurt.

It's just like the chicken sold by Safeway Rancher's Reserve, which has 110 calories per 4 oz. Normally chicken has 120 calories or more per 4 oz. How do you make chicken lower in calories? Do you make the chickens exercise more and eat a low-fat diet? :lol: No, don't be silly. You inject the chicken meat with a sodium/water solution, so that a smaller amount of chicken weighs 4 oz. BTW--lest anyone think that I'm immune to these food traps or being self-righteous, the Safeway Rancher's Reserve chicken is my favorite and the only type of chicken I will buy (and one of the things I like about is that it is only 110 calories for a 4 oz serving, plus the added water makes it super juicy and tender) and I'm not adverse to buying a product that is loaded with artificial sweeteners and questionable fiber substitutes if it is lower in calories than the "whole food" product. So, um, "do as I say, not as I do." :o

But, having said all that, I'm not sure the Dannon did have fewer calories than plain, fat-free yogurt. According to my most recent Nutrition Action newsletter (which had a feature comparing different brands of yogurt (http://www.cspinet.org/nah/08_08/yogurt.pdf)), the Dannon Light and Fit yogurt had 60 calories (the newsletter came before the formula change, so I assume they evaluated the original formula yogurt) per 4-oz serving. Trader Joe's and Fage fat free Greek yogurt has 80 calories, but for 5.3 oz of yogurt. That works out to be the same caloric content. Trader Joe's and Fage are 1.325 times the amount of yogurt as the Dannon 60-calorie serving (5.3 oz / 4 oz). 60 calories x 1.325 = 80 calories.

And regular (non-Greek) plain, fat free yogurt is 80 calories for 6 oz. 4 oz of that would be only 53 calories, which is less than was in the Dannon.

Mel
09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Barbara- I did read that article in Nutrition Action, one of my favorite publications. I did not buy the 60 calorie cups, but the 40 calorie 1/2 cup containers, or the large container of Vanilla and ate 1/2 a cup (40 calories). So bumping up to 80 or 100 is a big bump.

I think I'll just skp the yourt and add a pile of fruit to my cottage cheese.

BlueToBlue
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Barbara- I did read that article in Nutrition Action, one of my favorite publications. I did not buy the 60 calorie cups, but the 40 calorie 1/2 cup containers, or the large container of Vanilla and ate 1/2 a cup (40 calories). So bumping up to 80 or 100 is a big bump.

I think I'll just skp the yourt and add a pile of fruit to my cottage cheese.

Well, that hardly makes sense if it's the calories you're worried about. Cottage cheese, even fat free, has more calories than plain non-fat yogurt. 1/2 cup of FF cottage cheese has 80 calories. 1/2 cup of plain, fat free yogurt has around 50 calories (60 calories for Greek-style), which is pretty comparable to your 40-calorie Dannon yogurts.

Glory87
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh Robin, my grocery store has the 60 calorie stuff! I wanted to box it all up and ship it to you!!!!

rockinrobin
09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Oh Robin, my grocery store has the 60 calorie stuff! I wanted to box it all up and ship it to you!!!!

Oh I am soooo incredibly jealous!!!!

I will admit that I've succumbed and have been eating the 80 calorie ones. For now anyway. I know this sounds terribly lame, but right now I haven't the time to experiment with new foods. I will get around to it though. I DO hate giving them the business after they messed with one of my staples. I have found a couple of flavors that I can tolerate. Like the vanilla and the lemon. Some of them are totally unedible though. I am fortunate that I don't get headaches like some of you experience. I have cut down on the amount though. I haven't eaten more then 2 on any given day.

Aimee123
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Ok, I'm incredibly ticked about the Dannon change too and have been looking around the web for people who feel the same. I've been doing some research, and what I have found is that the changes Dannon has made have absolutely NOTHING about customer preference or the flavor of the yogurt.

What it boils down to is this: Sugar and ASSpertame is cheaper than Splenda. Dannon made a cheaper product to improve their bottom line in the highly competitive yogurt market. I would gladly have paid a few cents more for the 60 calorie, 6 oz. Light & Fit product, but instead Dannon chose to make a cheaper product so they can continue to sell it for less.

We can still get the "Carb and Sugar Control" product with 60 calories, but it's only a 4 oz. cup.

So this is about money for Dannon. Not consumer preference as they would have you believe.

CountingDown
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I promised feedback on my Yogourmet. I am actually really liking making yogurt from scratch. It takes less than a half hour to make two quarts of fresh, fat-free yogurt. It will keep for up to 3 weeks (I haven't tested this since I am going through it in about 7-10 days)

I am currently using NF milk powder and Activia for starter. I am adding 30% extra milk powder to boost the protein, so each 4 oz serving is 50 calories with 5g of protein. I am sweetening it with Splenda, Agave, Stevia or SF syrups (at serving time).

One recommendation - follow the probiotics recipe and incubate the yogurt for 8-10 hours. It is healthier and firmer.

rockinrobin
12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Guess who just called me???????????

Dannon. Hey, how'd ya guess? ;)

Anyway, they CALLED me!!! They said that they see that I had phoned them about Dannon Light and Fit yogurt and would I be willing to answer some questions. I of course said, "sure".

They asked me what I didn't like about the new product. She gave me a list and I had to answer yes or no to it. Stuff like - too much sugar - too many carbs - the extra calories - the aspartame - the taste - oh and I can't remember what else. But I said yes to all of it, since that's how I feel.

She then asked me if I had to choose just ONE thing to change to make it better for me, what would it be. Again, she gave me a list. All the things she listed truly bothered me and I told her so, but since I was only able to choose one, I said "lowering the calories".

I asked her if this call was prompted by a slump in sales and she said she doesn't have the answer to that. But come now, that MUST be it.

So, there's hope afterall. Wouldn't it be something if they changed it back to how it used to be? Dare I even dream it? :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

alinnell
12-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Dare to dream, Robin!!! That's too cool.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Applebee's (they said 48 hours, it's been 3 months) and Del Taco (they said 7 days, it's been 2.5 months). Both of these places took my favorite salads off the menus.

Amarantha2
12-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I prefer basic unflavored Greek yogurt with fruit to any manufactured product.

HotWings
07-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I know I am reviving an old thread here, but I am so very curious - did they ever change the Dannon yogurt back to the original recipe??? I may be buying a lot of yogurt soon to help me out with my weight loss.. and I do NOT want aspartame. This sounds like it would have been a perfect one.

rockinrobin
07-04-2009, 06:10 AM
I know I am reviving an old thread here, but I am so very curious - did they ever change the Dannon yogurt back to the original recipe??? I may be buying a lot of yogurt soon to help me out with my weight loss.. and I do NOT want aspartame. This sounds like it would have been a perfect one.

Nope. They haven't changed it back and the last time I spoke with them, they hadn't any plan to.

But luckily there are lots of other things to help out with weight loss, so don't be too down about it. Although I sure was when it first occurred. That's an understatement.

Lori Bell
08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Apparently Dannon must be having a hard time selling their "new and improved" product. I realize this thread is over a year old, but the other day they had Dannon Light and Fit, (80) on sale at HyVee. The price was 10 for 1.90 (with coupon) or 10 for 2.90 without coupon. Pretty cheap.