South Beach Diet - The truth about Splenda?

View Full Version : The truth about Splenda?

uscarchie
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi y'all,

I was reading on this board that splenda can affect people negatively, something I'd not heard before.

I also have been told by a nutritionist that splenda can be addictive.

What's the truth about splenda? Is it actually pretty bad for you?

And if so, what are we sweet toothed people supposed to do? Cut out sweets entirely? Except the occasional fruit, I guess.

I guess part of my question is also this: In an ideal world, what are we humans supposed to be eating? Grains, plants, animal protein that we've hunted, honey when we're brave enough to face the bees?

I think that SBD is really close to what we as humans should be eating. Lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and veggies.

Spoz
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
From what I'v heard it isnt good for you. I personally dont use it because splenda allowed huntingdon life sciences to test animals for the process of creating splenda. (Which far too many people don't know.)

luckymommy
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd like to say that Splenda can give me migraines. I can use it occasionally though, but I try to use Stevia instead, which comes from a plant and has no calories either.

yoyonomoreinvegas
08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
This is really one of those "different strokes" kind of issues. Everyone is different so Splenda may indeed be harmful to one person while the next person suffers no ill effects at all.

I've read a couple of different (conflicting of course :shrug:) things about Splenda. One camp says Splenda is derived from sugar so is no more harmful than sugar (except better because of fewer calories). But, one article I read said that Splenda is so amazingly processed the sugar has been changed on a molecular level to more closely resemble insecticide than sugar.

I, personally, have elected to take as much of a whole foods approach as I can so just the idea of all the processing (and possible chemical treatment?) required to extract the Splenda from the sugar is pretty off putting to me. I've heard good things about both Stevia and Agave Nectar as replacement sweeteners. I keep meaning to try them but, quite honestly, since I "cleaned up" my eating, I just haven't had enough of a craving for something sweet that a slice of fresh pineapple won't satisfy me. (ok, bragging just a tad :D )

mandalinn82
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I have read the safety data, studies, and research on Splenda. I have looked at the data on being overweight and the health effects it has, knowing full well that artificial sweeteners make my personal weight loss path smoother. I have watched my body closely for side effects from using Splenda products, and haven't personally noticed any changes in my mood, behavior, or body (unlike aspartame, which makes me very sick...to each his/her own).

After all of this, I've concluded that Splenda will be a part of my weight loss story, in moderate amounts, until such time as any of those things I noted above change. That is a decision that everyone has to make on a personal level.

Schmoodle
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
I use it but try to keep it minimal. I haven't had a bad reaction to it.
Overall I just try to keep the sweet stuff to a minimum or get used to things being not as sweet. For example I make the bean brownies often but put in much less sweetener than called for. I accidentally left it out once and found that the dark fudginess was what I was craving more than the sweet. I forgot the sweetener in the oatmeal breakfast bars this week and found that with the dried fruit they are plenty sweet enough for me.
However, I am addicted to my NSA fudgesicles and afternoon latte with a shot of sugar free flavored syrup, that is where I get most of my artificial sweetener.

Whenever possible in recipes, etc., I substitute agave nectar or stevia, which are natural.

Fat Melanie
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I just made a cup of hot cocoa for a snack- cocoa powder, splenda, ff milk, and vanilla- and am going to observe and see what sort of effects, if any, that I personally feel. I didn't know that Splenda could cause bad effects until Cottagebythesea said so in the daily thread, so now I'm paying attention to my Splenda consumption and observing what happens.

And I really don't like that they tested it on animals... that's not cool, not cool at all.

But Splenda is the most convenient and best tasting 'sweetener' on the grocery shelves, though. It's convenient because every store carries it and it tastes way better than some of the other artificial sweeteners. I got this stuff called 'sugar twin' and man is that stuff nasty, it's absolutely bitter. It ruined a custard I made. I LOVE, LOVE LOOOOVE stevia, but it's very expensive and the only place that has it in this county is owned by my dad's ex gf, who despises me, and I don't want to go there... gotta find a site that sells it on the net.

Anyway, I'm curious to see who else has had adverse effects with splenda, as of right now I'm waiting, watching, and observing to see what happens to me.

JulieJ08
08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
And if so, what are we sweet toothed people supposed to do? Cut out sweets entirely? Except the occasional fruit, I guess.

Um ... yeah? Sorta. I mean, I do think it's unnatural that we are conditioned to think we need sweets every day. I have 3-4 servings of fruit a day, and that's lots of sweetness. Actual dessert is once a week, not infrequently less than that. If you cut out sugar for a couple weeks, you find that you can go back to it and taste sweetness at much lower amounts.

I'm not saying this as someone who doesn't have a sweet tooth and doesn't get it. I was eating pints of premium ice cream for dinner. But, making desserts a once in a while treat actually makes me feel like I'm treating myself even more. Because now it's actually a treat, not an everyday food. I also enjoy my desserts even more because I'm now *much* pickier about them. Only the best!

ladybugnessa
08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
personal choice.

I use it.
i use agave nectar too
I use stevia powder now and then
I use sweet and low and equal as needed.

uscarchie
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
My problem isn't desserts, persay. I don't usually eat them. I love fruit, but I've been eating that more rarely.

My problem is coffee. I drink 3 or so cups a day, and I have to have my coffee sweet and white. So I have splenda with it, and all in all, I think I'm okay with it.

I found the agave nectar to have somewhat of a funky after taste. Same with Stevia.

KO
08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I find Post Surgery that Splenda makes me binge if I have alot of it
I made the PB cookeis with half the splenda then was the cookie monster
also It erm makes me pee uncontrollably
but that might be the maltodextrin in it I asked my md phd gf

Belle Mer
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Okay, I'll climb on my soap box here. I'm not out to offend anyone, I'll just throw my own experiences and opinions out there. Use what you can, ignore the rest.

I have a huge sweet tooth that only developed after I hit 40. I believe the reason why I didn't have one before, is that growing up, we never had sweets in the house, only fruit, and an occasional box of cookies.

We were an old-fashioned mostly Italian family who didn't believe in fluffy white bread, soda, or dessert every night. I wasn't allowed to drink soda at home. Sure I snuck a bottle of coke every so often. We only had a sweet dessert on Sundays and holidays. We ate a lot of fruit in between meals and for dessert.

It was only when I got into my 40's that I started feeding the sweet tooth that popped up thanks to those female hormonal issue. I've had to deal with the sugar/sweetener issue for over 10 years now.

I used to use Splenda. I drank a lot of Diet Coke with Splenda. I put it in my yogurt and ricotta, and I used it in tea. Until I started getting an adverse reaction, like a racing heartbeat and deepening depression.

So I did research on Splenda.

Splenda is basically sugar genetically modified and washed with chlorine.

No thank you.

Aspertame (Equal) well, don't even get me started. How that poison got into the food supply is simply astonishing! I just recently learned that they put aspertame into Centrum kids chewable vitamins. Wow.

I use very little sweeteners in my diet, and all of them are of the non-chemical variety. Yes, it's very tough to live without feeding a sweet tooth, but it can be done. Once in a while I get out of control and pig out on French Pastry or chocolate. But most of the time, I'm okay.

I've used Stevia for a very long time, but I use about 3-4 drops in a whole 32 oz container of yogurt. Stevia is safe to use. I'm not in love with the taste, so I use the liquid French Vanilla kind.

I will use a drop of raw honey or agave occasionally, in ricotta. or other things.

I believe that using artificial sweeteners every day hinders weight loss. No, I cannot prove it, but I believe that feeding the sweet tooth with fake sugar doesn't help the body lose its cravings and it is being sent mixed signals.

And yes, I believe that I can live with using a very small amount of natural sweeteners for the rest of my life, as long as I can have an apple or some berries at least every other day. It doesn't mean I'll never eat sugar. Once in a while, I lose control.

The human body wasn't meant to ingest all of that sugar or artificial sweetener. And sugar is in EVERYTHING now. No wonder diabetes is on the rise and people have gastro problems. Our bodies weren't designed to be full of sugar. And they weren't designed for artificial sweeteners either.

Fat Melanie
08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Belle Mer, that was a HIGHLY informative post. And I am not a fan of aspartame either, although I admit to having used it. It causes cancer in lab rats, right? Kind of scary to think of what it can do to humans, although I know we aren't very similar to rats. I avoided aspartame completely during pregnancy. I didn't know that Splenda was genetically altered and washed with chlorine, that's pretty gross actually.

I admit I will still use it despite the above post, but not daily. I do have to have something sweet every now and then, like a chocolate custard (to kill my pudding cravings) and etc. But I won't so easily throw it into everything I make, I'll use it more sparingly.

I used to make WONDERFUL ww chocolate chip cookies with stevia and everybody loved them... I wish I could get my hands on some stevia right now, it's amazing.

I forgot to add, it's been over an hour since I drank the splenda hot cocoa and I feel fine, but everybody's different. And I will still be watching out for any signs of anything that occurs after I consume splenda.

Belle Mer
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Everyone has to make their own decisions on these things. I just throw out the info so people can be informed.

Here's a link to the liquid French vanilla Stevia:
Sweet Leaf French Vanilla Stevia (http://www.amazon.com/Stevia-Clear-Liquid-Vanilla-Creme/dp/B000ELQNRO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1219169043&sr=8-7)

I find that you can find most things on amazon.com, though they sell it in my area at Whole Foods.

Euphony
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I cannot stand the chemical taste of Splenda/sucralose. I have stevia and use it, I'm not fond of the taste so much so I mix it with xylitol. Xylitol is a blessing for me! It has 60% of the calories in sugar so I use it in moderation, but sugar has a glycemic index of 65 while xylitol has a glycemic index of 7. Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol and in my opinion tastes better than sugar. It tastes just like sugar but does not have the aftertaste that sugar has it tastes 'clean'.

yoyonomoreinvegas
08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I believe that using artificial sweeteners every day hinders weight loss. No, I cannot prove it, but I believe that feeding the sweet tooth with fake sugar doesn't help the body lose its cravings and it is being sent mixed signals.

And yes, I believe that I can live with using a very small amount of natural sweeteners for the rest of my life, as long as I can have an apple or some berries at least every other day. It doesn't mean I'll never eat sugar. Once in a while, I lose control.

The human body wasn't meant to ingest all of that sugar or artificial sweetener. And sugar is in EVERYTHING now. No wonder diabetes is on the rise and people have gastro problems. Our bodies weren't designed to be full of sugar. And they weren't designed for artificial sweeteners either.

I'm one of the small crowd still gathered around your soapbox hanging on your every word ;)

I know it's not true for absolutely everyone, but I am very definitely someone who's weight loss was hindered by artificial sweeteners. I used to drink literally gallons of Crystal Light thinking I was doing a good thing because that's how I was getting all my water - just flavoring it. I don't think it was the cause of any cravings but I lost no weight no matter what I did or didn't eat. My doctor was the one who actually told me to eliminate artificial sweeteners (originally, it was supposed to be a short term thing to determine if I had a "sensitivity") I was actually so addicted to the stuff that I cried the day I dumped the last of the pitcher down the drain and tossed those cute little tubs in the trash, but in less than two weeks I was noticing a difference not only on the scale but in my whole outlook and attitude. Now, disclaimer here - I also stopped consuming anything that contained HFCs at the same time so I have to be open to the possibility it was the HFC's - or maybe it was a combination of the two so now, to be on the safe side, I simply avoid them both.

My favorite treat these days is chocolate Silk soy milk. It is sweetened with "organically dehydrated cane juice" - no matter how politely they say it, that's still sugar. But, I can have just one serving and put the rest away without a second thought so, for me, that's a form of sugar that doesn't seem to kick in any cravings and hasn't seemed to interfere with my progress toward my goal (I did hit a plateau for a short bit but cutting out the soy milk didn't make a difference in getting past it). I can absolutely see myself going the rest of my life with very little processed sugar and no artificial sweeteners.

sarahyu
08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Euphony,
Does xylitol have the same horrilbe affects as other sugar alchohols? The gas, bloating and diahrea?

I bought a bottle of stevia at Trader Joe's a while back. I don't like it, it's got a strange after taste for me. But that's just a personal opinion. Everybodies' taste buds are different.
Sarah in MD

Belle Mer
08-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Xylitol and Erythritol are sugar alcohols that seem okay to use. All sugar alcohols should be used in moderation as they have a laxative effect. Keep them away from pets, though. My protein powder contains Xylitol.

The Vanilla Creme Liquid stevia tastes okay. The trick is to use the tiniest amount first and then add to taste. Most people use too much and it tastes bitter.

Euphony
08-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Euphony,
Does xylitol have the same horrilbe affects as other sugar alchohols? The gas, bloating and diahrea?

Xylitol can but generally not as bad. The body seems to adjust much faster with it too. But as Belle Mer mentioned, all sugar alcohols should be used in moderation.

Xylitol and Erythritol are sugar alcohols that seem okay to use. All sugar alcohols should be used in moderation as they have a laxative effect. Keep them away from pets, though. My protein powder contains Xylitol.

WOW, what protein powder do you buy?? The one I have has sucralose, I'm so ticked!

Belle Mer
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I buy Mercola's Pro Optimal Whey (http://products.mercola.com/pro-optimal-whey/) It's expensive, so I don't buy it very often.

But Natural Factors (http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=6650&at=0) also makes a good one sweetened with Stevia.

I use the Mercola Strawberry and the Natural Factors French Vanilla.

I use them when I don't have an appetite for a regular breakfast.

Euphony
08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
I buy Mercola's Pro Optimal Whey It's expensive, so I don't buy it very often.

But Natural Factors also makes a good one sweetened with Stevia.

I use the Mercola Strawberry and the Natural Factors French Vanilla.

I use them when I don't have an appetite for a regular breakfast.
Thank you so much for the info! I just realized I'm in the "South Beach Diet" forum, well I'm not doing South Beach but when I saw Splenda mentioned in a thread on the "new posts" I had to chime in. <insert grin emot here> ( since clearly I can't yet, and I had to remove the links from the quote...ohhhhhhhh I'll be so happy to finally have privileges here! )

kaplods
08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Have you noticed how other people's houses "have a smell" (not necessarily a bad one, just a smell), but you think your own doesn't, and that only after you come home from an extended period of time, sometimes even a vacation that you notice that your house DOES have a smell after all. Or that after a certain period of a bad smell, you don't notice it so much anymore.

That's because your sense of smell habituates over time. You stop smelling smells that are ALWAYS in your environment (survival-wise this is a good thing, so you can smell new smells easier).

It also happens to our taste of salty and sweet. The more we eat, the less we taste it. Nearly everyone has a level of sweet that is "far too sweet" where yummy turns to yucky. For me, that sweet has always been grocery store cake icing. Blegh. But reducing the use of salt and sugars, lowers the bar.

My husband whines that he can't cook for me anymore, because I always tell him it's way too salty. I tell him to stop adding the salt and salty ingredients (like bouillon) and let me season to MY taste and he can season to his. For soups and sauces, I season to my taste and he seasons in the bowl. I keep telling him to cut back on the salty snacks, and his salt-tooth can catch up to mine.

For me, sweeteners are like that too, but I haven't made as much progress in eliminating as with salt. I justified it by saying I really didn't have much of a sweet tooth - as we think of it. I'm not one for overly sweet desserts. Fruit is great. I never understood why anyone made desserts out of fruit, because the fruit itself was such a perfect dessert.

However, I find I still have a tendency to overuse sweeteners. I like savory foods with a sweet component (sweet and sours, barbecue sauces, ketchup, tangy sauces, chicken and tuna salads with sweet relish), and sweet beverages (diet sodas and Crystal Light).

I'm not saying that I'm going to stop consuming artificial or natural sweeteners, but I am planning on drastically cutting back, so my sweet tooth can shrink the way my salt tooth has. Not that I haven't made some progress. Every once in a while I take a bite out of something I used to love (like recently a brownie) and I didn't finish it because it was WAY too sweet. The sweetness coated my mouth and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth, even with milk. It was like trying to eat Captain Crunch as an adult - it forms a greasy sugar coating on your tongue and the roof of your mouth (or maybe that's just me).

As to our "natural" diet, I think there's a lot of disagreement, but I think that it's safe to say we were more likely designed for an apple than for a brownie (it's a very good thing that brownies don't grow on treas, don't you think). But, as humans we've messed with the fruit so much through selective breeding that even our fruits aren't natural. Several years ago, I read that zoos have had to change their decades old formulas for feeding the herbivores because modern varieties of fruits are bigger and have so much more sugar that the formulas that had been keeping the animals trim, were starting to become obese (because an apple is larger and sweeter than it used to be).

Books like Neanderthin and The Paleolithic Prescription, did give me alot to think about, but I don't think we know what the optimal human diet is, or if there even is one (different climates and/or genetic types might require different proportions of nutrients).

JulieJ08
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
It was like trying to eat Captain Crunch as an adult - it forms a greasy sugar coating on your tongue and the roof of your mouth (or maybe that's just me).

LOL, that's not just you. I had forgotten about that, but I know exactly what you mean.

Belle Mer
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
It also happens to our taste of salty and sweet. The more we eat, the less we taste it. Nearly everyone has a level of sweet that is "far too sweet" where yummy turns to yucky. For me, that sweet has always been grocery store cake icing. Blegh. But reducing the use of salt and sugars, lowers the bar.

I'm totally with you there. A couple of months ago I ate a fast food breakfast. First one in years. It was so salty to me, it was inedible.

I'll have to say, though, we can still eat fairly well if we make good choices, like organic or locally grown fruits, veggies, whole grains, and grass finished, free range meats and poultry.

When we stray into processed foods, corn/soy fed meats/poultry full of antibiotics, and genetically modified veggies/fruits and grains, we not only gain weight, we begin to acquire health issues.

No, we can't eat the way our ancestors ate due to soil depletion, chemicals, experimentation, and air/water pollution, but I personally am resolved to try and find the most unprocessed and local food I can get and do the best I can on a budget. I don't even feed my dog commercial dog food.

It's hard to do in this day and age, and it takes time and money, both of which many of us are short on. We can only do so much.

At least with SBD, many people have begun to make better choices.

SunshineCA
08-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Although I'm not picky about what sugar substitute I use, I am more partial to Splenda. This is whether I'm on plan or not. If it's not available, I will use Equal, Sweet 'N Low or whatever is available.

grneyedmustang
08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
My hierarchy of "sweeteners":
Splenda - I like the taste, and haven't had any adverse reactions to it. When I was on WW, I made chocolate chip cookies with regular splenda and brown sugar splenda, and my friends couldn't tell the difference!

Agave nectar - I've just discovered this since being on South Beach. It's good for tea, but I'm not sure how it works with baking (no cookies allowed on South Beach!!!! LOL. That might be a "cooking experiment" when I decide to have some cookies).

Equal - I'll use it if I have to. I prefer not to, though.

Sweet-n-low -- NO THANKS. I'll go without first. :barf:

Loriann7
08-20-2008, 08:28 AM
hhhmmm, I wonder if my using splenda in my coffee is whats detering my weight loss! :(... I tried Stevia in the past and it's horrible tasting!

GGRRRRRR I hate this!

weezle
08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I appreciate everyone's soapboxes and information. Here's my soapbox.

Splenda contributed to my near-40 lb weight-loss, after trying several other sugar substitutes. Without it, I would still be a sugar-binging fat cow. I've never had a side-affect from it: no addiction, no headaches, no grouchies, no nothing. It very likely COULD be doing something to my body that I don't know about, but just about everything does these days, with cell phones, pollution, unsafe chemicals in tap water, unsafe chemicals in bottled water, the list goes on to infinity. Now people are raising questions about what's in my soy-based meat substitutes. What's a sugar-hungry, well-hydrated vegetarian that likes to talk on the phone and breathe air to do?

I think it's just another one of those things. Nothing is going to be perfect until the Lord comes back, and people are going to react differently to different things. If you notice that you have negative affects from something, don't put it in your body anymore. If not, and it works for you, then I think you're good to go.

beachgal
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, this is a really tough issue for some of us. I agree with a lot of what has been posted here--we have such wise members! :grouphug: Here are some things I've learned from talking a lot with other 3FCers and professionals, and from my own experiences:

People react differently to sugar substitutes. What may give one a migraine may have absolutely no effects on another. Don't assume that something is bad just because it affects someone you know. (for example, apple juice gives me an instant headache and the shakes. I don't think most people think there's anything evil about apple juice, though. ;) ) Just find out how it affects you. I can't eat Sweet n' Low (or other versions of it) because it gives me bad headaches. Equal/aspartame and Splenda don't bother me at all. :shrug:
Like Amanda so excellently explained, we have to weigh the medical/moral issues of eating chemicals or processed foods against the medical issue of being overweight. What works for you?
Eating anything extremely sweet does seem to have a strong effect on cravings, even when the sweet is coming from something without any calories. Not everyone reacts the same way to all sweeteners, but it does seem to be very common that when you eat something sweet (even gum), you find yourself wanting to eat more. Be aware of this and figure out what works for you.
Agave Nectar can be a great substitute. It has a very low GI, is natural (it's juice from the Agave cactus plant), and can work especially well in things that call for honey. But it's expensive.
My nutritionist told me that with pregnant mothers, they advise to stay away from Sweet n' Low (or other versions of it), have no more than 2 servings of Equal daily, but they allow unlimited amounts of Splenda. That has give me a guide for how much I want to consume of those products.
I've never had a "laxative effect" from sugar alcohols, but they do cause bad gas (and, hence, pain) if I eat too much of them, even erythritol or xylitol. Whatever the effect on you, if you find that you get side effects, limiting the quantity you consume can help. One thing to keep in mind--xylitol is dangerous for dogs. If you use it for baking, make sure it's kept somewhere your dog can't access.

You'll find more info on this issue in this thread from earlier this year: Natural Sugar Substitutes (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139395)

beachgal
08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
What's a sugar-hungry, well-hydrated vegetarian that likes to talk on the phone and breathe air to do?

:lol3: Weezle, you're a riot! I totally agree, hon. Nothing's perfect. We just try to do our best! :hug:

weezle
08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Laurie, I try :D

Belle Mer
08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
New article on this subject from Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/z023961.html

mandalinn82
08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Belle - wow, interesting article. Of course, it uses "Cause" a little bit incorrectly.

While that particular study did show that feeding rats saccharine-sweetened food did tend to lead to weight gain, it did so in the presence of more calories. Rats, unlike humans, will eat what they are craving, so if saccharine increases their cravings for food, they will eat more and get fatter. Humans tend to self-regulate intake a lot more than rats, so just because an artificial sweetener causes them to crave more food doesn't mean they will actually -eat- more food.

As many of us have said on here, for some (like the rats, apparently), artificial sweeteners increase cravings. But if you don't eat more because of that, you're not going to gain weight. The sweeteners aren't causing the weight gain, the extra calories the sweeteners may or may not have made you crave will cause the gain.

Shannon in ATL
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I started using Splenda about a year ago, mostly for coffee and tea - I had a cup of coffee every morning and two cups of tea in the afternoon at work. I started feeling nauseated, got headaches, even started breaking out on my legs and arms. Never connected all of these symptoms together, but then found a website on some of the more common Splenda problems. Stopped the Splenda, all of the above symptoms went away.

Just recently, I got a whey protein that was flavored with Splenda - didn't even think to look and see if it was in there... It made me sick almost immediately.

If it does impact you make sure you look closely - it is sneaking into a lot of things now... I found it in 100 calorie packs of Jiffy Pop kettle corn over the weekend that my husband bought....

grneyedmustang
08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm not sensitive to Splenda/Sucralose -- BUT -- I have noticed it is showing up in places that you wouldn't expect it. Watch your labels if you are sensitive to it...

nanj
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I've been reading more and more about how the body doesn't recognize the differences between real sugar and artificial sugars and makes you crave sweets all of the same; don't know personally because you will read another article that will contradict those articles!!!! There is one in WW mag this month. That makes it all clear as mud. Me, personally, I have used everything that has come out on the market that is artificial because if I can't find an artificial sugar that I can use to bake or sweeten then we can't have them at all. I was just complaining to my DH that I wish I could just quit using Splenda because I hate how it bakes and worry about growing a "third" eye. He said, "You gotta die from something!" Big help he was. I did try a new sweetener called Z-Sweet, well new to me, but the darn stuff was like $25.00 a pound at a place called Sprouts and I sure haven't seen it in my area yet. I guess the key is moderation. I have to keep something sweet on hand for my carb-loving DH, or I'm afraid he will go back to his old ways and I just can't let that happen.

carrielyn
04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Have any of you tried whey sweetener? I like it and it comes white, brown, maple flavored, powdered and even has some for diabetics. It is 4 calories a spoonful. I don't use a lot of sweetener, I like both my coffee and tea without but I do like a bit on my oatmeal. You can cook and bake with it so it might be an option for some of you.

The brand I use is Whey Low put out by a Vivalac. Google their website and see if it sounds interesting to you. It's not cheap but not any worse then some of the others.

baristamon
04-16-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't really like any artificial sweeteners, although I have yet to try agave nectar. I rarely need to add sweetener to anything, so I could never bear to part with the cash for the stuff. ( I'm cheap:) ) Anyway, I think the big problem with artificial, or any, sweeteners is the amount of them that people use. I mean, when i add splenda to a plain nonfat yogurt, I use 1/2 a packet, if that. when people go into starbucks and order a small 6 splenda latte, on top of a flavored syrup, something is wrong. I think the most sweetener i've been asked to add to a drink was 19 equals. 19!!! how do you arrive at that number?! I think its a perfect example of over-consumption, and over-compensation. I'm glad I don't like sugar in my coffee, and I think that once a person has their sugar addiction under control, by using artificial sweeteners as a short or even long term substitute, then they should be able to handle a small amount of regular (I prefer raw) sugar or honey without having a relapse. and please, if you're one of those 10 splenda or 19 equal people, realize that maybe 1 or 2 packets won't give u cancer, but 19 surely must. now i'll just hop off this soap box and let someone else climb on up...

grneyedmustang
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
I don't really like any artificial sweeteners, although I have yet to try agave nectar. I rarely need to add sweetener to anything, so I could never bear to part with the cash for the stuff. ( I'm cheap:) ) Anyway, I think the big problem with artificial, or any, sweeteners is the amount of them that people use. I mean, when i add splenda to a plain nonfat yogurt, I use 1/2 a packet, if that. when people go into starbucks and order a small 6 splenda latte, on top of a flavored syrup, something is wrong. I think the most sweetener i've been asked to add to a drink was 19 equals. 19!!! how do you arrive at that number?!

Agave nectar is actually natural, so it might be a good alternative for you to consider.

Overconsumption is one of the reasons why I'm kind of shocked that it's showing up in places I wouldn't expect. I bought a product recently (I don't remember what it was) and it wasn't advertised as "reduced calorie" or anything like that, but I read the ingredients and there it was. I didn't have a problem with it, initially, but I think that I need to reduce my "dependence" on sucralose a tad, and finding it in unexpected places makes me realize that you can't just assume that a product doesn't have unexpected ingredients.